PDA

View Full Version : Microcastle

bmack86
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
It's high time we had a thread about this album. As noted in last years lists, Cryptograms was my favorite album of the past year. However, it pales in comparison to the near-perfect album that is Microcastle. Deerhunter, despite my worries that they might dissolve under the pressure of all last year's hype, are a band that will be around making amazing music for at least a few more years.

What do you all have to say about the best album of the year?

algunz
08-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Can you provide a link for a quick listen?

dorkfish
08-11-2008, 11:36 PM
2 tracks: http://www.myspace.com/deerhunter

bballarl
08-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I was not a fan of Cryptograms in any way. I really, really liked Microcastle when I listened to it.

dorkfish
08-11-2008, 11:38 PM
I'd rank their output:

1. Fluorescent Grey
2. Microcastle
3. Cryptograms
4. Deerhunter/Turn It Up ******

They're one of the most ridiculously solid bands to come out in the last decade. Even their early self-titled stuff is highly accessible and enjoyable.

bmack86
08-11-2008, 11:39 PM
google Microcastle Rapidshare and you should get some hits. I don't want to link to it because the band doesn't approve of the leak, and Bradford is one of the nicest people I've ever met. Lockett and Josh aren't far behind.

bmack86
08-11-2008, 11:40 PM
I can't believe they disown Turn It Up ******. It's a very good album. And, despite how good they are on album, they are so damn amazing live, i can't even believe it. I've seen them three times, and each time was a revelation. Definitely my favorite band that has come out of the 2000s.

dorkfish
08-11-2008, 11:41 PM
When I saw them, Josh was the drunkest live performer I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure the entire show was a blackout for him. They at least prefaced the show with saying that they'd just come from Josh's sister's surprise engagement party.

dorkfish
08-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I can't believe they disown Turn It Up ******. It's a very good album. And, despite how good they are on album, they are so damn amazing live, i can't even believe it. I've seen them three times, and each time was a revelation. Definitely my favorite band that has come out of the 2000s.
They disown it? They played four songs from it when I saw them. It might have been all of the aforementioned drunk Josh's doing, though, since I'm pretty sure that he led into every song with a solo of the bassline.
You're right, though, they were all really nice guys.

algunz
08-11-2008, 11:44 PM
Sounds great. They always have such comfy music. I enjoy falling asleep to them. It sends me into pleasant dreams.

wmgaretjax
08-11-2008, 11:48 PM
this will be in everyone's top 3 unless they are deaf... and even then they'd have to be crazy.

dorkfish
08-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Jay Reatard - Fluorescent Grey (Deerhunter cover): http://www.zshare.net/audio/1690362011e23234/

bmack86
08-11-2008, 11:51 PM
They disown it? They played four songs from it when I saw them. It might have been all of the aforementioned drunk Josh's doing, though, since I'm pretty sure that he led into every song with a solo of the bassline.
You're right, though, they were all really nice guys.

Bradford told me he hates that album, and Lockett didn't play on it. All three times I've seen them, they did almost all of Cryptograms and all of Fluorescent Grey. I'm looking forward to seeing them with NIN and also at the El Rey and probably in San Diego.

Has anybody else seen Bradford do a dressless show/a show without Colin? I saw one of the first, and it was different, but great. Bradford was on quite a few drugs, and at one point he walked around and detuned everyones guitars so that they would start the song over. As they were playing, he fucked with the headstocks. It was hilarious to watch.

dorkfish
08-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Are the NIN fans being pretty receptive to their opening shows?

bmack86
08-11-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm not sure, but Bradford posted on the blog a few days ago saying that it's been great opening for them and that everyone's been very nice.

Also, Bradford's Atlas Sound set at Pitchfork was a very impressive highlight.

bmack86
08-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Oh It's Such a Shame

Boourns
08-12-2008, 12:01 AM
What do you all have to say about the best album of the year?

There's alread a topic for Third.

But Microcastle is awesome.

dorkfish
08-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Well, if they've moved on past the Turn It Up ****** point of theirs lives, I'm glad that I got to see "Adorno" live because it was awesome. That's the song that ended with drunk Josh breaking Lockett's guitars neck while forcing him to guitar/bass swordfight. Lockett had to finish the show with The Ponys borrowed guitar under condition that Josh couldn't get near it.

bmack86
08-12-2008, 12:06 AM
They did play Adorno when I saw them open for The Ponys, but that was it.

And, the Jay Reatard/Deerhunter split isn't really fair. Jay is working with a song that is so amazing that hardly anyone can fuck it up. Deerhunter do a great job, but Flourescent Grey is one of those songs for the ages.

bmack86
08-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Also, for anyone who will be awake in an hour and a half, the perseid meteor shower is going to peak. Listen to Cryptograms on headphones and watch the shower. It should be amazing.

SoulDischarge
08-12-2008, 12:53 AM
I fell in love with the song 'Fluorescent Grey' last night and listened to it on repeat for hours. I've listened to 'Microcastle' 2 or 3 times but haven't fully absorbed it yet. 'Cryptograms' is a damned fine album. But 'Fluorescent Grey,' man. That's where it's at.

Also, Boourns is right.

PassiveTheory
08-12-2008, 01:01 AM
Are the NIN fans being pretty receptive to their opening shows?

They fucking hated the Dresden Dolls, if that's anything to go by.

BTW: I'm listening to Deerhunter for the first time right now, so bear with me.