PDA

View Full Version : Bands you really want to get into but for some reason can't...

Memorial_07
08-10-2008, 09:53 PM
If you see someone who posts a band they can't get into and you like that band reccomend some stuff.

My two bands are Crass and Conflict. They go hand in hand and I still can not get into them even though I've been making an effort.
Anyone wanna help?

aeroplanee
08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I would love to be enlightened on some Pearl Jam

clumsy342
08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
For some reason I can't get into the Faint. With the exception of seeing them live. Live, its a different story. I've seen em twice and had a blast both times. But I can't listen to them on cd.

clumsy342
08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Im almost at 666 posts! Ha! shit!

Has anyone made a satanic 666 posts thread? Because I think thats my plan.

Sushov23
08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
I know I'm going to get shit for this and I've posted on this MANY times. I can't get into underworld. A lot of people like them, and whatnot, they are legends in a lot of peoples eyes. I just can't seem to find material I love or anything.

Backwater
08-10-2008, 10:53 PM
For some reason I can't get into the Faint. With the exception of seeing them live. Live, its a different story. I've seen em twice and had a blast both times. But I can't listen to them on cd.

Lots of bands are completely different live. Just look at Gogol. Try listening to one of their albums and enjoying yourself, try seeing them live and not enjoying yourself.

Cdubby
08-11-2008, 08:57 AM
off the top of my head my morning jacket

jigsaw
08-11-2008, 09:03 AM
I would love to be enlightened on some Pearl Jam

turn it up!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VlQLVB3JC8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VlQLVB3JC8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jigsaw
08-11-2008, 09:05 AM

word

BlackSwan
08-11-2008, 09:21 AM
I know I'm going to get shit for this and I've posted on this MANY times. I can't get into underworld. A lot of people like them, and whatnot, they are legends in a lot of peoples eyes. I just can't seem to find material I love or anything.

ever listened to 8 Ball?

in terms of the original post... def might get shit for this one... i mean i like some of their stuff and they're are classic and everything, but i have yet to go through my "Beatles stage".

SFChrissy
08-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Me Neither...there are a few classics that I really enjoy but I haven't dug deep into the beatles either so your not alone!!!

jigsaw
08-11-2008, 09:29 AM
well, you two obviously never attended jr. high school then.

here is my favorite beatles tune.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2UYRoti-tY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2UYRoti-tY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

whynotsmile99
08-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I can't get into TV on the Radio no matter how many hipsters and critics tell me its good

SFChrissy
08-11-2008, 10:04 AM
well, you two obviously never attended jr. high school then.

here is my favorite beatles tune.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2UYRoti-tY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V2UYRoti-tY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Meaning Jr high school in the school of music???

chairmenmeow47
08-11-2008, 10:35 AM
mogwai

PassiveTheory
08-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Im almost at 666 posts! Ha! shit!

Has anyone made a satanic 666 posts thread? Because I think thats my plan.

Yeah, they have.

Also, there must be 4 versions of this topic that already exist somewhere on the boards...

zenidogx
08-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Sufjan
M Ward
Arcade Fire
*gasp*

amyzzz
08-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm still trying to get into Sigur Ros--I'm going to see them live in September so I hope they fucking blow me away. Seeing them at Coach melted my ice a bit because they sounded pretty good at sunset in 06. I kinda like their new album, and I kinda like one of their older albums-- is it ()? I guess I should start doing more research!

leo01g
08-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Talking Heads
I've said this numerous times but I just cant get into them.
Anyone recommend a cd or favorite Talking Heads song?

amyzzz
08-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Talking Heads
QFT. A friend recently told me that the DVD Stop Making Sense is NOT to be missed. I'm going to try to check that out soon. It's a concert video I believe.

betao
08-11-2008, 11:00 AM

tell us what song(s) you have heard and we will report back to you.

faxman75
08-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Radiohead. I left lollapalooza after 15 minutes of their amazing pretty lights and mellowdramatic music. I simply don't get it. I don't like Yorkie boys voice nor do I have the patience to "feel" his music.

menikmati
08-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post

Stay away from Born Slippy....there are plenty of songs that weren't on Trainspotting's soundtrack that are far better. If you want to get into Underworld....go listen to Two Months Off, Cowgirl/Rez, Jumbo, Moaner, Kittens, and try to download some of their live sets (like Electroglide 2005, Coachella 2003, Creamfields 2002 etc...).

leo01g
08-11-2008, 11:18 AM
tell us what song(s) you have heard and we will report back to you.

EYbUCvz1LYE
I know not all songs sound the same but this is all i had to hear to know i wasnt going to like this band. Do all of their songs sound similar?

betao
08-11-2008, 11:27 AM
EYbUCvz1LYE
I know not all songs sound the same but this is all i had to hear to know i wasnt going to like this band. Do all of their songs sound similar?

uh I was referring to underworld.

leo01g
08-11-2008, 11:31 AM
ah yeah my bad. I just noticed you were quoting sushov

TommyboyUNM
08-11-2008, 11:31 AM

A good place to start would "Okonokos". That's their live album that was recorded in November of 2005. If you like that, then check out "Z" and "It Still Moves." It might help if you tell me what MMJ stuff you've heard and what type of music you generally like.

MarkO
08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Can't get into NIN.

TommyboyUNM
08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm still trying to get into Sigur Ros--I'm going to see them live in September so I hope they fucking blow me away. Seeing them at Coach melted my ice a bit because they sounded pretty good at sunset in 06. I kinda like their new album, and I kinda like one of their older albums-- is it ()? I guess I should start doing more research!

I was in the same boat a few months ago. In fact, I posted a thread about it. Then I listened to "Takk..." all the way through and I was hooked. A week later, I saw them at Bonnaroo and was royally impressed. Now I'm driving 6 hours up to Denver to seem them next month.

stinkbutt
08-11-2008, 11:42 AM
turn it up!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VlQLVB3JC8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VlQLVB3JC8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fuckin awesome this has been one of my favorite songs since I first heard it. I need to see this live before I die

BlackSwan
08-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Talking Heads

QFT. A friend recently told me that the DVD Stop Making Sense is NOT to be missed. I'm going to try to check that out soon. It's a concert video I believe.

check out I Zimbra and Naive Melody.

Radiohead. I left lollapalooza after 15 minutes of their amazing pretty lights and mellowdramatic music. I simply don't get it. I don't like Yorkie boys voice nor do I have the patience to "feel" his music.

:nono

amyzzz
08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I can see not liking RH because of Thom's voice. He can sound whiny at times.

TommyboyUNM
08-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Especially from some of the live recordings that I've heard. As much as most of us love Radiohead, I think we can admit that there are a lot of times when Thom's voice cracks and is just really off in general. Of course, I've never seen them live (2 weeks or so) so he might sound completely different.

faxman75
08-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Well, from what I understand if you are a fan they were amazing. I gave it a shot. I was so fucking dead tired from the rest of the day I still actually made the trek across the entire fest and smoked a cigarette and drank some tea and watched for a few. Finally I gave up. I went into it perfectly, no expecations, actually not a fan at all and hoped they would surprise me and win me over much like Pearl Jam did in Chicago at Soldier Field in 1995. Was not a PJ fan but gave them a shot because I liked how fan friendly they were and respected their TM fight. I came away from that show blown away. To each their own though, Radioface has plenty of fans and they all looked mesmerized.

BlackSwan
08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Well, from what I understand if you are a fan they were amazing. I gave it a shot. I was so fucking dead tired from the rest of the day I still actually made the trek across the entire fest and smoked a cigarette and drank some tea and watched for a few. Finally I gave up. I went into it perfectly, no expecations, actually not a fan at all and hoped they would surprise me and win me over much like Pearl Jam did in Chicago at Soldier Field in 1995. Was not a PJ fan but gave them a shot because I liked how fan friendly they were and respected their TM fight. I came away from that show blown away. To each their own though, Radioface has plenty of fans and they all looked mesmerized.

since you are older, i'm surprised they didn't hook you in The Bends days... i remember seeing the video for Just on MuchMusic when I was a little kid and it blew my mind.

clumsy342
08-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, they have.

Also, there must be 4 versions of this topic that already exist somewhere on the boards...

Well, fuck... I'll just make it a special post then.

faxman75
08-11-2008, 12:55 PM
since you are older, i'm surprised they didn't hook you in The Bends days... i remember seeing the video for Just on MuchMusic when I was a little kid and it blew my mind.

yeah, I was one of the people that liked creep but not enough to explore much further.

Memorial_07
08-11-2008, 01:17 PM
yeah, I was one of the people that liked creep but not enough to explore much further.

you and I both.

Concerning my first post:
If any Crass or Conflict fans are out there, reccomend me some stuff please.

amyzzz
08-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Thom sounded really good to me at APW (I will have to check any bootlegs out and see if I'm right), and Just fucking blew my mind. Before the show, I was like "I don't need to hear Just again." Now I'm like "I need to hear Just again...and again...and again!"

(sorry, going on and on a bit about RH)

BlackSwan
08-11-2008, 01:35 PM
(sorry, going on and on a bit about RH)

there would be something wrong if you weren't.

coofal
08-11-2008, 01:37 PM
This board desperately needs a Radiohead thread.

BlackSwan
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
This board desperately needs a Radiohead thread.

all threads are radiohead threads... come on now.

roberto73
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Those of you asking for recommendations should visit this thread:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5850&highlight=young%27uns+guide

It's been criminally underused lately, but it's one of the best things on this board.

bmack86
08-11-2008, 02:02 PM
you and I both.

Concerning my first post:
If any Crass or Conflict fans are out there, reccomend me some stuff please.

If you don't like Crass on first glance, what I would recommend is giving it about a year. They're abrasive, and they aren't something you can just sit down and listen to any time. They are very much a certain mood band. I'd recommend listening to them when you really want to hear some ugly, ugly music. My personal favorite is Stations of the Crass, but Penis Envy is great too. The only problem I have with PE is that there aren't any of those hideous male vocals.

I need to bone up on Conflict.

Pixiessp
08-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Lots of bands are completely different live. Just look at Gogol. Try listening to one of their albums and enjoying yourself, try seeing them live and not enjoying yourself.

I agree. i don't own any of their stuff but i love to see them live.

Cdubby
08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
A good place to start would "Okonokos". That's their live album that was recorded in November of 2005. If you like that, then check out "Z" and "It Still Moves." It might help if you tell me what MMJ stuff you've heard and what type of music you generally like.

thanks for the tips, i saw them live at coach (wasnt moved like most the board) and really like their song "one big holiday"...other than that it hasn't clicked for me. see sig for bands i love love love

Pixiessp
08-11-2008, 03:37 PM

I also just started getting into them. i have ( ) and I love it. Gonna get Takk next.

Memorial_07
08-11-2008, 03:52 PM
If you don't like Crass on first glance, what I would recommend is giving it about a year. They're abrasive, and they aren't something you can just sit down and listen to any time. They are very much a certain mood band. I'd recommend listening to them when you really want to hear some ugly, ugly music. My personal favorite is Stations of the Crass, but Penis Envy is great too. The only problem I have with PE is that there aren't any of those hideous male vocals.

I need to bone up on Conflict.

Ok thanks man.

What about Feeding Of The 5000?

bmack86
08-11-2008, 03:53 PM
It's good as well. Those two are my two favorites though.

TommyboyUNM
08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
thanks for the tips, i saw them live at coach (wasnt moved like most the board) and really like their song "one big holiday"...other than that it hasn't clicked for me. see sig for bands i love love love

The other songs I think you might like:

Lay Low
Run Thru
Masterplan
Remnants
Off The Record
Dondante (3:00 and beyond)

Those are the more "guitar-based" songs. I've heard mixed reviews of their Coachella show. Sucks they only got an hour.

stuporfly
08-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Arcade Fire.

MissingPerson
08-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Arcade Fire.

Wouldn't worry about that, just means your freaking soul is broken...

Reminds me though, yeah, I really don't get Neutral Milk Hotel. It's nice, I guess...?

stuporfly
08-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Wouldn't worry about that, just means your freaking soul is broken...

I'm from New York. I don't have a soul.

Reminds me though, yeah, I really don't get Neutral Milk Hotel. It's nice, I guess...?

I do love them, but I can see where they're not for everyone.

TommyboyUNM
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Mine is The Flaming Lips. They have an entertaining show, but I've never heard anything I really like on record.

bmack86
08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
You don't get into Neutral Milk Hotel. They get into you.

BlackSwan
08-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Arcade Fire.

there is nothing wrong with not liking Arcade Fire... in fact, it makes sense.

Neutral Milk Hotel
08-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Animal Collective. On paper it sounds like the kind of band I would love, but I really can't get into Strawberry Jam and haven't yet listened to their other material. Suggestions?

You don't get into Neutral Milk Hotel. They get into you.

QFT

sbessiso
08-11-2008, 04:52 PM
ArcadeFireMuse

MissingPerson
08-11-2008, 05:20 PM
See, the way people talk about Neutral Milk Hotel, with big hand gestures and lyric quoting, I kind of expected to be able to muster up either love/ hate for 'em. I just think it's... nice?

Thing is, people keep telling me they're a band I'd love, so I keep listening, and I just keep... wishing I was listening to something else.

I'm from New York. I don't have a soul.
Ah. Touché.

suprefan
08-11-2008, 05:29 PM

You shouldve stuck it out, at least maybe laid down and just seen if it really worked for you. If you were only there 15 minutes, you missed the good s**t like 15 mins later, Gloaming, National Anthem, that maybe wouldve kept your interest, its all different live than on record, you shoudl understand that. Pretty much I wouldve said ''wait til it truly got dark''.

Neutral Milk Hotel
08-11-2008, 05:43 PM

This is how my friend Evan feels. It kind of sucks, because he loves music, and I need someone to go to Outside Lands with (if I even go). We argued about it for like an hour.

TommyboyUNM
08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
This is how my friend Evan feels. It kind of sucks, because he loves music, and I need someone to go to Outside Lands with (if I even go). We argued about it for like an hour.

If you have the chance to see Radiohead, The Black Keys and Manu Chao all in one night, you should go by yourself if you have to.

Neutral Milk Hotel
08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
I want to but it's gonna be a giant pain in the ass to go by myself. Plus, I'm going to Sunset Junction so I'll already be seeing The Black Keys that weekend.

SoulDischarge
08-11-2008, 07:29 PM
The trick with a lot of these bands is just persistence. For me, Talking Heads and Radiohead both took me a lot of listens to care. When I was a teenager, I liked Karma Police a lot, so I picked up OK Computer and thought it was really boring and all sounded the same. But I listened to it over and over until it made sense. It's just one of those things that reveals itself slowly. You really have to work with it.

Every single Talking Heads album has been like that too, no matter how much I've loved the one before it. They write the catchiest songs, but they do it at some weird obtuse angle that makes it difficult for yr brain to latch on the first few times. For Talking Heads, I'd recommend getting 'More Songs About Buildings And Food' or 'Fear Of Music' and just listening to them two or three times a week for a month. If it doesn't stick, they might not be for you. Very few of my favorite bands have I loved on first or second or third listen.

Cydewonder
08-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Talking Heads

Ha, i was listening to them earlier. These are some of my fav's:

-Mind
-Sugar on my Tounge
-Girlfriend is better

Start with (Once in a Lifetime: the best of Talking Heads). It has psycho killer, burning down the house, road to nowhere & all their other popular songs.

Backwater
08-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I picked up OK Computer and thought it all sounded the same.

????????????????????????

That is the last album I would ever say that about. Each song sounds completely different. I'm glad you changed your mind.

I just can't get into the Black Keys. It's nothing I haven't heard 1,000 times before. There's just nothing original about it at all. Also, BSS but to a lesser degree. I really want to like both because I'm seeing them at Sunset Junction and now that Issac is dead, they are the headliners. Recommendations?

prettydirtything
08-11-2008, 08:25 PM
kings of leon.

humanoid
08-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I can't get into TV on the Radio no matter how many hipsters and critics tell me its good

even better than good

humanoid
08-11-2008, 11:11 PM
based on other things I like, and what I hear from friends, I should really like Animal Collective, but they just haven't done it for me yet

bmack86
08-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Animal collective have some very rabid fans, but they really aren't for everyone. The tracks I'd recommend are Purple Bottle, For Reverend Green and Who Could Win a Rabbit. Also, if you like more experimental music, listen to Here Comes the Indian.

For TV on the Radio, listen to the tracks Young Liars, Staring at the Sun and Hours. If you don't like those, you may not have a soul.

Black Keys are just a damn good electric blues band. They may not be original, but not every band has to be original to be great. They are tons of fun, and 10 AM (Or something like that) Automatic is a truly great song.

zenidogx
08-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Mine is The Flaming Lips. They have an entertaining show, but I've never heard anything I really like on record.
the Soft Bulletin is mind-blowingly good. it'll take you on a journey. if you're ever feeling down, Race For the Prize will motivate you.

See, the way people talk about Neutral Milk Hotel, with big hand gestures and lyric quoting, I kind of expected to be able to muster up either love/ hate for 'em. I just think it's... nice?

Thing is, people keep telling me they're a band I'd love, so I keep listening, and I just keep... wishing I was listening to something else.

try it one more time. turn off all the lights, put on Aeroplane, crank up the headphones. and just sit back, relax. if it doesn't move you, then i guess it wasn't meant to be.

leo01g
08-12-2008, 06:54 PM
check out I Zimbra and Naive Melody.

Alright thanks those songs werent that bad. I heard I Zimbra on youtube and that was pretty amazing