PDA

View Full Version : Concert goers: International vs. Domestic

Wheres the beef?
08-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Can some of you who have been to shows/festivals overseas explain a few things to me?

What is the deal with having a flare in a huge crowd at concert? It seems really fucking dangerous at worst and highly annoying at best. I just don't understand it. Someone explain it to me. I've seen it multiple times in different videos.

What is the deal with all the flags. Seriously. Maybe I don't understand because when I go to a show most people are from the same country. I don't know. Also seems like way too much trouble and very annoying to other concert goers. Who wants to carry around a huge fucking flag anyways when you could be dancing? I don't understand.

Pics related.

http://i34.tinypic.com/nnrx45.png

http://i38.tinypic.com/pu2b4.png

Blinken
08-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Hey lets bring some flares and flags to OSL!!

canexplain
08-08-2008, 09:27 AM
they seem to do the flag thing at a lot of sports too .. just a guess here, but take europe, there are a bunch of countries all put together that are smaller then the US.. so there is the local love of their countries .... dont know about the flare thing ... maybe its like us hippies and glow sticks :) x****

Sonicifyouwantit
08-08-2008, 09:30 AM
EUROS...(shakes head)

Wheres the beef?
08-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Yeah the flags I guess is a national pride thing. But the flare. It's like, "What the fuck are you thinking?"

MissingPerson
08-08-2008, 10:08 AM
EUROS...(shakes head)

(Frown)

Flags are kind of specific to Glastonbury, at least that far up front, and I agree, they're a pain in the ass. I don't get why people do that. National pride, yeah, fine, but stick the thing on your tent, leave it at that. Why drag it the whole way up to the stage?

Flares... don't usually last. Security will hop you for them, and festival security here are known for breaking noses and fingers with some enthusiasm. I've had security get cranky with me over freaking glowsticks, so I can't imagine what happens the flare guys. However... at the right show, in the right light, they do look amazing. I wouldn't want to be the sucker lighting it though, or in the crowd immediately behind them.

I suspect, however, that they're largely for the benefit of the band on stage. "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEE!"

canexplain
08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
i can see you trying to sneak it in, gives new meaning to the old line
"hey is that a flare in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me"

x****

Pixiessp
08-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I have yet to attend an international concert/festival. Next year i am going to Barcelona so I will get my chance. i just hope I am nowhere near the flares.

MissingPerson
08-08-2008, 10:49 AM
To be honest, I don't know if the flares really feature outside of British festivals, where I think it's kind of a holdover from football matches.

Anyway, there's a mention of 'em at T In The Park from about 2:40 here (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=oNhvGXksZr4) and you can see the poor bastard in question melting his hand off from about 1:30 here (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=4zNK5kKG0n4), before security get hold of him.

Zane Lowe is a moron, btw.

MarkO
08-08-2008, 04:01 PM
........ festival security here are known for breaking noses and fingers with some enthusiasm. ......

I remember one of the security guards at Radiohead at Malahide telling some jackass that pushed his way forward to Fuck Off to the back. It was great. :)

ShyGuy75
08-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Can some of you who have been to shows/festivals overseas explain a few things to me?

What is the deal with all the flags. Seriously. Maybe I don't understand because when I go to a show most people are from the same country. I don't know. Also seems like way too much trouble and very annoying to other concert goers. Who wants to carry around a huge fucking flag anyways when you could be dancing? I don't understand

You're a moron, so nobody would expect you to understand it. There are many reasons they bring flags. One, is that they rule and make everything around look better. Another is that it is an easy way to find your group of friends at large festivals. Yet another is for the comidic/festiv value of them. Most of them are not of a country, but of something funny. Watching the Chuck Norris v. Bluebunny flag fight was a highlight. They are not uptight oversees about such trivial things as bringing a flag into the festival. They don't care if you will have to move one foot to the right to get your perfect, quiet, quaint view.

Now pass me the flag and go get me a cider.

QQZahbPNcZ8

PassiveTheory
08-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Uh, there's absolutely NOTHING "comidic" or funny at all about fucking flags. I go to shows to enjoy the music, first and foremost, and if some fucking asshole wants to make my concert his own personal flag waving party, he can take that shit elsewhere.

Personally I think flags are a decent idea when they're not on a massive fucking pole that obstructs the view of the stage. Like the one dude who brought in a Chilean flag and got to the front of the main stage on Sunday at Coachella and got an artist to notice him with it.

Granted, I can think of some obstructions that are a hell of a lot more annoying (i.e. chicks who climb onto the shoulders of other dudes... It's appropriate if you're short, but if you get your other drunk coed whore buddy to climb onto another dude's shoulder right next to you and form the concert equivalent of the soccer penalty kick wall, then don't be surprised when the shit starts flying your way), still I think that kingsblend's question was valid and not stupid.

Sushov23
08-19-2008, 12:53 AM
**** you.

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Basically, flags are more common here than they might be in the US, but they are still generally recognised as symptoms of knobbery. Eg.

"Hey, check it out, flags."
"Fucking knobs."

Sticking a flag on your tent for identifying it is cool, hauling one up to the stage is a pain in the ass for everybody around you and they'll all hate you for it. There's shitheads at all music festivals, but in Europe, for some reason, they feel uniquely compelled to identify themselves in advance.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
08-19-2008, 05:26 AM
I have never been to festivals in Europe. Only Japan.

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 09:14 AM
There's shitheads at all music festivals, but in Europe, for some reason, they feel uniquely compelled to identify themselves in advance.

this seems like one of those win-lose blessings

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 09:23 AM
The thing is, their compulsion to alert as many people as possible to their ferocious knobbery drives them, instinctively, to make their stand at the most visible area of the festival, ie. Right in front of the main fucking stage, thereby obstructing the view for as many people as possible during the best sets

And if you're far enough away for some knobhead's stupid flag to be annoying you, you're probably too far away to do anything about it. If you're right up close to Fucky the Flag guy, then he doesn't really obscure your view all that badly, so you probably won't be all that bothered - although I can guarantee he's the kind of beer-spilling novelty-hat-wearing cock who will have his drunken girlfriend falling off/ climbing onto his shoulders for the duration - but at the same exact distance the flag gets annoying, he's out of reach.

I hate those people in a very profound way.

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 09:50 AM
and I must say, you write about them quite well. I enjoyed reading that.
hahaha I highly encourage you to do a full length write up of the top five worst people at a festival and put it up somewhere we can digg/shout it.

bartelby
08-19-2008, 10:32 AM
nothing, and i mean NOTHING, could be worse than the large gaggle of frat boys that talked and airguitared through nearly the entire Radiohead concert in Toronto last week

i could have made good use of a flare then

leo01g
08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
You're a moron, so nobody would expect you to understand it. There are many reasons they bring flags. One, is that they rule and make everything around look better. Another is that it is an easy way to find your group of friends at large festivals. Yet another is for the comidic/festiv value of them. Most of them are not of a country, but of something funny. Watching the Chuck Norris v. Bluebunny flag fight was a highlight. They are not uptight oversees about such trivial things as bringing a flag into the festival. They don't care if you will have to move one foot to the right to get your perfect, quiet, quaint view.

QQZahbPNcZ8

That is just stupid

ShyGuy75
08-19-2008, 10:56 AM
That is just stupid

If you were to go to a large festival oversees, you would see where my post was 100% accurate. Unless, of course, you are a limey, whiney, communist little B like MissingPerson.

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 11:30 AM
If you were to go to a large festival oversees, you would see where my post was 100% accurate. Unless, of course, you are a limey, whiney, communist little B like MissingPerson.

does being as stupid as you physically hurt, or does the lack of functional brain matter make it difficult to process pain?

Sushov23
08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
why fight, good vibes.

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 12:02 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present Fucky the Flag Guy. Happiness to him is a cloth on a stick.

It's worth mentioning that the vast majority of festival flags don't mean a damn thing. Yeah, you get lots of national flags from the football jersey crowd, the odd jokey one like "MORE COWBELL!" or whatever, and maybe a couple of rainbow banners. Mostly though, they're flags for beer companies like Heineken or Carling or whatever. They don't actually mean anything, but Flag Guys still just love waving them around anyway. Compensating, I suspect.

Pirate Flags had a vogue last year for some reason, although they're not as common this year.

ShyGuy75
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Pilgrim, coming from the guy who has the worst avatar on this board combined with zero critical thinking skills, I'm gonna have to let you continue to live in your fantasy land where everything you have zero first hand knowledge of is factual. Good luck with that.

As for the limey...fcky the flag guy? Really? That's the best you could come up with? I'll let you try again. Go ahead, don't be scared. Unless your French. Do you have French blood in you, MP?

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Pilgrim, coming from the guy who has the worst avatar on this board

I think you're in the minority on that one, bub.

also, zero critical thinking skills? this coming from the dude who seems to be able to justify waving around huge obstructive flags at a concert like a flaming dickhole?

I call shenanigans

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Indeed. I second Shenanigans.

Sushov23
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
flags=All the people talking throughout a set. They fuck up your experience.

ShyGuy75
08-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Flags enhance the experience, imo. But as I have said before, all of you who talk out of your ass about things you have never experienced are probably correct. Except for you Frenchie. You are just a bitter person. I don't blame you, considering where you live and come from. Its not your fault. Just know that.

Maybe some of you would be better served taking your elitist concert views to the Opera instead of an outdoor music festival. At least there you could go get the usher if someone ... *gasp*... said something to the person next to them while your beloved band was playing. Taking the tampon out before going to anger management and coming to the realization that the show doesn't revolve around you also works.

PassiveT, there is also nothing "comedic" of funny about the poor bastards that have to stand behind your foot tall, rat infested, smelly afro either at shows. Yet you seem to love to push it on people and get in the front row whenever possible. I'll take a flag armada over being within 100 feet of you at a show everytime.

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Taking the tampon out before going to anger management and coming to the realization that the show doesn't revolve around you also works.

...and you're the guy saying YES to flags.
you really are fucked in the head

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Zut alors...

ShyGuy75
08-19-2008, 01:50 PM
...and you're the guy saying YES to flags

You really do have a hard time following along don't you.

Pilgrim, why do you think they don't allow flags at US festivals, but Euro's/Brits have no problems with them at festivals much much larger than ours? And why do you continue to comment on something that you have never experienced? Are you having an off day, or are you typically this slow.

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 01:59 PM
actually, I HAVE experienced plenty of flag-waving assholes at concerts, festival and otherwise.

how can you, on one hand, say that people should stop being so self-minded at concerts, and then on the other champion flag-waving: the most selfish thing you can possibly do, short of somehow bringing about the cessation of the show itself.

you're a fucking idiot- the kind that give outdoor festivals a bad name in terms of idiotic, drunken, thuggish behaviour. and yes, I AM connecting that bullshit to flag-waving.
if you're waving a flag at a concert, you're not there for the music, and that makes you the same kind of moronic twit that throws beer bottles or beats up kids in a mosh pit or holds their bros on their shoulders in the front fucking row, or crowd surf during anything and everything

go drown yourself in cheap lager, you piss-swilling piece of horse shit

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh, if only we had a European festival-goer here to comment on them!

Flags are a pain in the ass, and dragging one up to the front of a festival crowd is a dicky thing to do. Failure to appreciate this, or the reasons why, indicate related dickishness. The only people who like the fucking things are the kind of tits waving them.

ShyGuy75
08-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Wow Pilgrim, what they say is true. You are completely autistic.

Flag waving enhances the experience of being at a festival imo. I already stated that, but your burnt out brain must have glossed over it. See, during wandering mind time, instead of me having to look over at some child like you who is trying to police conversations at an outdoor festival, I can instead scan the crowd and enjoy the flags. And at night, it provides a soothing rythmic backdrop against the music.

Your connections to flag waving to other things are par for the course with your drugged out, fried mind. I don't drink at festivals, and the only thing I throw are glow sticks during National Anthem, so you will have to come up with something dumber (if its possible) then what you just wrote.

People who are waving flags are there for not only the music, but for the entire experience of the festival community. I would try to explain this to you, but you have showed yourself to be a mental midget when it comes to rational thinking and the doors for you will most likely never open.

Keep beating your chest and championing the cause for people to be dead quiet and still around YOU instead of YOU moving away from something that doesn't make you feel comfortable. Hey, you were on that patch of grass first, right? I also call complete b.s. on you being at a large outdoor festival w/ flags, but its the internet, so you can make up whatever you want.

I'm still baffled on how a ten foot high flag obstructs anything. If your view is being so f'ckd up by a ten foot high flag being waved in the middle of the crowd, then you are too far back to give a shit anyway.

frozen pilgrim
08-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I never said quiet, I never said still, I said no assholes with big flags blocking everyone's view.
you're alone here, fuckface

ShyGuy75
08-19-2008, 02:54 PM
man, you sound pretty tough. are you as tough in real life as you are on this forum?

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
No. No. NoNoNo. That argument is too stupid to be sincere; Shenanigans.

Stainofmind
08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
If I bring a flag to a music festival/show/concert its because I want to bond with the band. I remember I brought my Brazil flag last year for CSS when at Coachella and BFD. I always also bring it when I go see Soulfly and Ill Nino.

Is there anything wrong with that?

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 04:30 PM
If I bring a flag to a music festival/show/concert its because I want to bond with the band. I remember I brought my Brazil flag last year for CSS when at Coachella and BFD. I always also bring it when I go see Soulfly and Ill Nino.

Is there anything wrong with that?

Well, for a start, you're already a million points ahead of the guys waving beer flags, which is nice. Were you waving the flag on a giant pole directly in front of the stage throughout every single band set though? It's not the actual having or waving of the flags, but the way it's done...

Stainofmind
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, for a start, you're already a million points ahead of the guys waving beer flags, which is nice. Were you waving the flag on a giant pole directly in front of the stage throughout every single band set though? It's not the actual having or waving of the flags, but the way it's done...

when CSS played Coachella I was waving it during the breaks in between the songs and before they came out. At BFD I was almost by the barricade and my lady friend was in front and she was waving it for me.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/kngofh8te/mybrazilflag.jpg

When Soulfly and Ill Nino played i was in the pit area and was waving it during the breaks in between songs and before they came out.

I'll be waving my Brazil Flag for CSS at Treasure Island.

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Ah, no, hang on, waving a flag from your hands is a whole other thing. That's quite sweet.

ShyGuy75
08-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Ah, no, hang on, waving a flag from your hands is a whole other thing

No, its really not. In fact, one could say that hand flag wavers are worse using your logic against flags. I would back out of the thread if I were you too, so kudos to ya for tryin.

boarderwoozel3
08-19-2008, 05:58 PM
man, you sound pretty tough. are you as tough in real life as you are on this forum?

oooooOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!

PassiveTheory
08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Zut alors...

You speak French?

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Ah, high school French. The Irish accent, tragically, was not designed for that language.

Anyway, for illustrative purposes, let's all take a moment to re-live three of Arcade Fire's British festival shows last year.

Glastonbury!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/glastoflags3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/readingflag.jpg

T In The Park!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/tintheparkflags.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/tparkflag.jpg

Reading!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/flagsreading.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/flagreading.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/readingflag4.jpg

.... and so on.

I happened to have these recordings to hand, but it goes for basically any festival show in this part of the world.

Argh.

boarderwoozel3
08-19-2008, 06:17 PM
But can't you see how those flags are making the performance so much better for you?????????

Oh wait, you can't see... anything.

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 06:32 PM
T In The Park is the worst, I think. A whole field full of Scottish flags.... in Scotland. Why?

boarderwoozel3
08-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Hometown represent? I don't know...

I get the national pride, but when it gets in the way of other festival goers its just selfish. As you've said earlier, people who tote flags to the front of stages are asses, there is no two ways about it.

bartelby
08-19-2008, 06:47 PM
T In The Park!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/tintheparkflags.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/tparkflag.jpg

Reading!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/flagsreading.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/flagreading.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/readingflag4.jpg

.... and so on.

I happened to have these recordings to hand, but it goes for basically any festival show in this part of the world.

Argh.

PUT YOUR FUCKING FLAG DOWN

ShyGuy75
08-19-2008, 06:49 PM
LMAO at those pics!!!

Are they all taken from high in the soundboard or is everyone taking them 12 feet tall?

Good stuff Frenchie, good stuff. You have most of the sharp pencils convinced.

MissingPerson
08-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I can understand the national flags or the football flags or hell, even the beer flags, way more than something really stupid like the checkered flag in the Glastonbury shot.

I mean... imagine jumping through all the hoops to register your photo ID and get hold of a ticket, physically putting yourself through the whole Glastonbury experience for three days, then fighting your way right up to the front during Arcade Fucking Fire - just so you can wave your stupid little checkered flag around in front them.

Dude; just do that at home. Save yourself a lot of money and effort.

amyzzz
08-19-2008, 07:51 PM
I have to say the flags look pretty cool in those pics. AND YAY FOR COVERING UP ARCADE FIRE. I hate those fucks.

MissingPerson
08-20-2008, 12:27 AM
The correct answer is:

PUT YOUR FUCKING FLAG DOWN

Still, Arcade Fire love you Amy. They're awesome like that.

Just pretend, for the sake of it, that it's somebody you like behind all the fucking flags. Milli Vanilli or whatever. And bear in mind that every one of those flags represents a complete dickhead inflicting their company on your festival experience. Aside from being a pain in the ass in terms of the view, those guys will insist on

a) Yelling at their equally stupid friends throughout the set

b) Fucking their skanky girlfiends in the portaloos

c) Mudfighting around the food areas

d) Collapsing onto your tent as they wander around looking for theirs*

e) Running out of money on the third day because they've spent it all on novelty hats and klaxons.

f) Vomiting on the bus on the way home

etc.

*They will never find theirs, of course, because they don't actually have one.

Backwater
08-20-2008, 01:44 AM
But can't you see how those flags are making the performance so much better for you?????????

Oh wait, you can't see... anything.

LOL. I'm never going to Glasto or any European festival for this reason. That shit is mindblowingly stupid. It just shows how little they care are about the actual music being performed and how much they care about proclaiming their bro credits to everyone.

MissingPerson
08-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Aw, it doesn't ruin the whole weekend or anything, but... it's not necessary and it does piss on it a little bit.

Nothing makes my heart sink quite like it does when I start working up to a stage for a favourite band of mine, only to catch sight of some slackjawed titwit up ahead of me, waving a flag around at themselves like a lobotomy patient. Argh.

frozen pilgrim
08-20-2008, 08:33 AM
when CSS played Coachella I was waving it during the breaks in between the songs and before they came out. At BFD I was almost by the barricade and my lady friend was in front and she was waving it for me.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c58/kngofh8te/mybrazilflag.jpg

When Soulfly and Ill Nino played i was in the pit area and was waving it during the breaks in between songs and before they came out.

I'll be waving my Brazil Flag for CSS at Treasure Island.

you do it the right way. that's cool. nothing wrong with waving a flag between sets or a bit between songs, or hanging it over the barricade for the band to see, or wearing it like a cape, or even holding it up while crowdsurfing during the climactic moment of a rage concert... all acceptable practice.

drunk dicks waving fifty square foot heineken banners with incomprehensible slogans sprayed on them through half of a bad religion show in england=failboat and a half

your flag waving over the barricade there actuallylooks quite beautiful, and it's not blocking anyone's view.

frozen pilgrim
08-20-2008, 08:39 AM

well, I'm really skinny, but I'm about six foot and have spent my whole life living in one of the poorest areas of canada's largest city. in the center of the awesome triforce of chinatown, the alex park housing projects, and the massive center for addiction and mental health complex to the northeast.
so no, I'm not 'tough', but I've never been successfully mugged, robbed, or beaten up, and I've kicked the shit out of a few crackhead burglars, etc.

and frankly, I didn't think I was sounding particularly aggressive. for someone bringing up shit like autism, race, age, and now physical intimidation, you're sure making a fucking GREAT case for you and your twelve-foot-flag-on-a-pole ruining everyone's view for half the concert asshole friends.

ShyGuy75
08-20-2008, 09:35 AM
LOL. I'm never going to Glasto or any European festival for this reason. That shit is mindblowingly stupid. It just shows how little they care are about the actual music being performed and how much they care about proclaiming their bro credits to everyone.

You shouldn't. You wouldn't fit in there, even without the flags. You should stick to street fests like Sunset Junction and going home to have your mommy bake you some cookies after the show.

FrozenCockbreath, sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't bring flags to those fests. I just like having them around. You are too wraped up in yourself to comprehend most of this thread, and most threads you dive into on this board or you would have known this instead of jumping to conclusions, like you normally do. You look like a complete tool attempting to defend yourself when I just asked you a simple question. You should learn to be more calm. Maybe then you wouldn't come off as such a loud mouth chest pounding frat boy who wouldn't be able to back up 99% of the b.s you scream about.

All this hate. All these opinions from the key board arm chair warriors. Yet nobody still can talk rationally on how flags on tall poles block nobodys view unless you are 300 feet back up on a slightly elevated hill. All you have to do is look at pictures from ground level (not the spin pics posted by Frenchie) to see this. Please continue to live in your e-reality that there are thousands of flags flying and you can't see anything. Please keep thinking that, and please please please don't go to any festival or concert where you may be out of your realm of comfort. It will benefit everyone in the long run.

Wheres the beef?
08-20-2008, 09:49 AM
You shouldn't. You wouldn't fit in there, even without the flags. You should stick to street fests like Sunset Junction and going home to have your mommy bake you some cookies after the show.

FrozenCockbreath, sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't bring flags to those fests. I just like having them around. You are too wraped up in yourself to comprehend most of this thread, and most threads you dive into on this board or you would have known this instead of jumping to conclusions, like you normally do. You look like a complete tool attempting to defend yourself when I just asked you a simple question. You should learn to be more calm. Maybe then you wouldn't come off as such a loud mouth chest pounding frat boy who wouldn't be able to back up 99% of the b.s you scream about.

All this hate. All these opinions from the key board arm chair warriors. Yet nobody still can talk rationally on how flags on tall poles block nobodys view unless you are 300 feet back up on a slightly elevated hill. All you have to do is look at pictures from ground level (not the spin pics posted by Frenchie) to see this. Please continue to live in your e-reality that there are thousands of flags flying and you can't see anything. Please keep thinking that, and please please please don't go to any festival or concert where you may be out of your realm of comfort. It will benefit everyone in the long run.

This thread is not about the validity of flags at concerts/festivals. People are people. The questions was: Why would you bring a flag? And I ask this not because someone else bringing a flag is going to obstruct my view. I'll move. But, because I, personally, would not want to bring a flag and deal with the hassle of carrying it and then having to wave it around all during the show.

frozen pilgrim
08-20-2008, 10:51 AM
shyguy- anything you might have to say is invalidated by your inexplicable non-sequiteurs and confusing-ass insistence on citing posts, threads, and elements of individual personality that don't exist and that you have no evidence for

you're an idiot, plain and simple.
enjoy the rest of your mongoloid existence.
you never actually answered the one question I asked you:
is it physically painful being as stupid as you, or does the lack of working brain cells negate your ability to process pain itself

frozen pilgrim
08-20-2008, 10:53 AM
and you know what?
even if every single person's flag was small and on a twelve foot pole, and even if it did only ruin it for people standing 150 feet back, that's STILL being insanely closed minded and selfish.
in this thread we've seen the right way to fly a flag at a concert (between sets or songs or in an inobtrusive manner) and the wrong way (huge crowds of dickholes with flags wrecking the view for everyone who's not right up there with them)
we've seen rational commentary and questioning (kingsblend) and, again, dickholery (shyguy)

ShyGuy75
08-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Someone get him a tissue

amyzzz
08-20-2008, 01:26 PM
The correct answer is:

Still, Arcade Fire love you Amy. They're awesome like that.

Just pretend, for the sake of it, that it's somebody you like behind all the fucking flags. Milli Vanilli or whatever. And bear in mind that every one of those flags represents a complete dickhead inflicting their company on your festival experience. Aside from being a pain in the ass in terms of the view, those guys will insist on

a) Yelling at their equally stupid friends throughout the set

b) Fucking their skanky girlfiends in the portaloos

c) Mudfighting around the food areas

d) Collapsing onto your tent as they wander around looking for theirs*

e) Running out of money on the third day because they've spent it all on novelty hats and klaxons.

f) Vomiting on the bus on the way home

etc.

*They will never find theirs, of course, because they don't actually have one.
I'm kind of on the anti-flag side (isn't that a band name or something?), but the flags do look kind of cool in the pics. Being in the audience would probably suck though.

MissingPerson
08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
They do look nice, in a flag kind of way. But if I wanted flags I'd go to some sort of crazy flag festival. And I wouldn't wave Arcade Fire around in the way of all the flags when I got there, neither.

Besides, I'm Irish. Flags mean riots to me.

Backwater
08-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Nobody agrees with Shyguy, end of discussion. He will probably be impaled by a flag somehow when he dies, karma.

ShyGuy75
08-20-2008, 05:48 PM
He will probably be impaled by a flag somehow when he dies, karma.

If I could only be so lucky to die in such an honerable way. Preferably, while watching Jane's Addiction.

Here is another example of the flag armada. Notice at about the 1:07 mark when the camera pans the crowd, you almost become blinded to everything around you.

Ac5aFjkkUiQ

betao
08-20-2008, 06:08 PM
i've never been to a festival loaded with flags like glasto, so I guess I can't really make an opinion on it.

however, if I had to guess, i think its something like if you're there at the festival with all the flags, you'll "get it".

Stainofmind
08-20-2008, 10:16 PM
your flag waving over the barricade there actually looks quite beautiful, and it's not blocking anyone's view.

thanks.

MissingPerson
08-30-2009, 03:32 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/aug/25/leeds-reading-festival-flags-ban

Flags banned at Reading and Leeds festivals

Music lovers going to the Reading and Leeds festivals this weekend will be banned from taking flags into the arenas. Organisers said flags would not be allowed in as they block the view of other people in the crowd. The annual music events, which begin on Friday, will see 150 acts play over three days, including headliners Arctic Monkeys, Radiohead and Kings of Leon. The official websites for both festivals state: "No flags will be allowed into the arena. They restrict the view of people behind." Any festivalgoers caught crowd-surfing at Reading this year will also find themselves punished by new rules.

suprefan
08-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I wonder if Glasto follows suit. and whats wrong with crowd surfing?

zimmy1222
08-30-2009, 11:39 PM
That shyguy sure wasn't living up to his name...

Boourns
08-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Luckily I didn't have too much trouble with flags at Glasto...managed to get in front of them for Neil Young and Blur and was so far back for Springsteen for it to make a difference. The I <3 Sausages flag bearer was set to block my Blur view but it looked like he was convinced to go further back. But when they did get in the way during Lily Allen, it was an annoying to constantly maneuver through tens of thousands of people ankle deep in mud.

mountmccabe
08-31-2009, 08:32 AM
and whats wrong with crowd surfing?

I am not a fan of people trying to use me as a ladder. I am also not a fan of being kicked in the head.

I don't think I would ban it, though. I mostly just wish that (some of) the people doing it weren't so thoughtlessly rude.

Aurgasm
08-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Flags and Flares are just part of large event culture in other parts of the world-

OpQnHfrO4w0

Its just how we get down.

sonofhal
08-31-2009, 12:57 PM
I wonder if Glasto follows suit. and whats wrong with crowd surfing?

Emily Eavis has already said she won't ban flags, so bring your "Search Button Is Your Friend" flag along to Glasto next year.

Take another look at the pictures that MP posted. Look at how high the flags are. The only view they are blocking is the cameramans (and Rage Pattons', if he happens to be there). I'm fine with flags on a long pole that are above my eye level, but i don't tend to go to many festivals that have them.

sonofhal
08-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Flares tho are a big no. I hate hippies.

hendrixfan143
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
flags=All the people talking throughout a set. They fuck up your experience.

seriously even if i absolutely hate a band i don't talk during their set becasue i know people around me like them

djandrews25
09-02-2009, 02:23 PM

QQZahbPNcZ8

You are a douche.

prettydirtything
09-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Pilgrim, coming from the guy who has the worst avatar on this board combined with zero critical thinking skills, I'm gonna have to let you continue to live in your fantasy land where everything you have zero first hand knowledge of is factual. Good luck with that.

As for the limey...fcky the flag guy? Really? That's the best you could come up with? I'll let you try again. Go ahead, don't be scared. Unless your French. Do you have French blood in you, MP?

I think you meant to say "Unless you're french".

prettydirtything
09-03-2009, 05:50 PM
what about umbrellas? they pissed me the fuck off at APW this year.

Outdoor music festival means you might get rained on, so bring a fucking poncho. Not a huge fucking umbrella that is big enough for you and Christopher Robin to float downstream in.