PDA

View Full Version : Calexico

faxman75
08-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Why aren't these guys discussed very much around here. We are talking about one of the best musical bands in the world today. New album Carried to Dust is fucking amazing. So much flavor and so damn good. Anyway, download or buy this album. It's due out in September but it's available now on your favorite torrent sites like demonoid and such and i'm hoping for a Coachella appearance next year. This band is flat out brilliant!

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/51057-calexico-plan-new-lp-tour-send-tune-to-outer-space

MissingPerson
08-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Only know them from their Arcade Fire cover, which is great.

How many albums have they?

hawkingvsreeve
08-07-2008, 09:11 AM
A lot.

6 full lengths
5 EPs
1 Live Album
6 Tour Albums

http://www.casadecalexico.com/music

MissingPerson
08-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Holy crap.

Okay, where do I start?

faxman75
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
the most popular and critically acclaimed album is "Feast of Wire".

The most easily accessible listening wise that has lyrics on every song and it's just nice and mellow is Garden Ruin. However many die hards who love the band were not impressed by the lack of latin influence on Garden Ruin. So, I say start with Feast of Wire.

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Holy crap.

Okay, where do I start?

The whole discography would be your best starting point. My fave. track is Crystal Frontier. I do think they are a superb band.

hawkingvsreeve
08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Feast Of Wire is good, but I would start with The Black Light. But that is just me.

faxman75
08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
It should also be noted that the songs when performed live, are brought to a whole new level as they frequently treat their fans to Mariachi Luz De Luna and notable singer Salvador Duran who has an awesome spanish operetic voice. They played a free show for a used record store last year in Tucson that lasted over 2 and a half hours and had no less than 10 musicians on stage at a time. It was simply amazing and wonderful.

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I dig Black Light, too. Just download it all and decide where your tastes begin.

faxman75
08-07-2008, 09:27 AM
I love it all as well. Interestingly enough though I only have Feast of Wire, Garden Ruin, Tool Box, the new one and the one with Iron and Wine. I guess I should get the others. I'm hoping this can new Caxlexico can pull me out of my National obsession. I'm gonna burn out on them if it doesn't.

faxman75
08-07-2008, 09:28 AM
We NEED this band at Coachella next year.

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 09:29 AM
I love it all as well. Interestingly enough though I only have Feast of Wire, Garden Ruin, Tool Box, the new one and the one with Iron and Wine. I guess I should get the others. I'm hoping this can new Caxlexico can pull me out of my National obsession. I'm gonna burn out on them if it doesn't.

As big of a National fan I am, I had to put their stuff away, too. Right now, I'm really switching back between Pendulum and Hercules and Love Affair. I've still have The Faint unopened and I'll have to pick up the Calexico. I do like the Two Silver Trees track.

Mockingbird73
08-07-2008, 09:32 AM
they do need to be at Coachella...going to see them 9/29 at The Fonda

hawkingvsreeve
08-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Even My Sure Things Fall Through is excellent if you dont have that. I have some stuff you dont if you would like to trade for the new one, Faxman.

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 09:35 AM
they do need to be at Coachella...going to see them 9/29 at The Fonda

I may have to check out that show, too. Though, that week is going to be full of shows for me. We'll see what's up.

hawkingvsreeve
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
No, this show needs to be a priority. Given that they NEVER tour, or when they do it's extremely limited date wise, you should bump this to the top of your list. You know it's going to be excellent, so why not?

Mockingbird73
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
a very busy week for shows indeed! hell, the whole month of September and the first week of October is gonna leave me very sleepy at work!

wmgaretjax
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
The Black Light is good.

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
No, this show needs to be a priority. Given that they NEVER tour, or when they do it's extremely limited date wise, you should bump this to the top of your list. You know it's going to be excellent, so why not?

Yeah, you're right. I missed them the last time they swung through L.A., so missing them would bum me out. That week, though, is a great time to be a music fan.

faxman75
08-07-2008, 09:44 AM
I also need the World Drifts In DVD. I hear it's one of the best live concert dvd's ever done. I need this. Torrents hear I come.

They don't tour much. They tour Europe more than here but lucky me I live in Arizona where they do at least 2-3 shows a year here.

Anyone who lives in Chicago needs to see them in September. They are playing a FREE show in Millenium Park with Mariachi Luz de Luna and singer Salvador Duran as part of Chicago's world music series. This will be amazing and I would expect a 2 plus hour show of musical awesomeness. I can't picture a better setting.

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Do you think they'll bring the same act for L.A.?

hawkingvsreeve
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't see why not, their string of US dates is pretty short and not too far from home.

faxman75
08-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I would say unfortunately not. Looking at their tour page they list them specifically for the Chicago date and they dont' always play with them. When they played in Tempe last year they had Salvador Duran with them but not the mariachis. The Chicago Millenium Park show sounds just like the free show I saw in Tucson last october or november. I sooo wish i could go to it.

It looks like "The Cave Singers" are supporting for L.A.
I want to go to that show too now. Damn. I wish I was rich. I never heard of the cave singers btw.

faxman75
08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't say definitely not, just not likely. You'll probably have to wait and see.

Sonicifyouwantit
08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Saw them the last time they played the fonda in LA. Great visuals, great performance. Prison on route 41 is my favorite song.

hawkingvsreeve
08-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Not to nitpick but that isn't technically a Calexico song, as it was on the split EP with Iron and Wine, and has Sam Beam on vocals. Good song though. That whole split and tour was excellent.

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Okay, so I wasn't losing my mind being perplexed with that, hawkings. Thanks for saving what little sanity I have left.

Sonicifyouwantit
08-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Not to nitpick but that isn't technically a Calexico song, as it was on the split EP with Iron and Wine, and has Sam Beam on vocals. Good song though. That whole split and tour was excellent.

I like that whole EP

TommyboyUNM
08-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I found out about them through their ties to My Morning Jacket. I got Garden Ruin on iTunes, but haven't listened yet. It's defintely gonna happen soon, though.

karma_guy
08-07-2008, 02:04 PM
i know some of the guys in this band
but yeah i remember being at this xmas party last year and my friend noticing we were in the same room as neko case and calexico
it was crazy

faxman75
08-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Neko is wonderful looking and sounding.

I saw Neko open for Calexico before I knew Calexico and left after she was done. Big mistake.

She is playing The Rialto in Tucson later this month. She always plays weeknights though. Rough.

faxman75
08-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Bump....my day just got brighter!

http://www.giffordsforcongress.com/Calexico/

This looks pretty great!

faxman75
08-11-2008, 01:21 PM
http://www.giffordsforcongress.com/wp-content/uploads/posterforwebusecropped.jpg

faxman75
09-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Bam, heading to this show in a couple hours. Can't wait!

TommyboyUNM
09-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Bam, heading to this show in a couple hours. Can't wait!

Talk me into 100% going in November. I put it on my schedule just based off of what I've read on this board. I've listened to Garden Ruin and haven't really got into it like I thought I would.

faxman75
09-21-2008, 12:53 AM
I would say Garden Ruin in their most mainstream sounding album. Go listen to Feast of Wire. If you don't like it, you won't like Calexico. I will say they are a live band, these guys aren't done justice in the studio. On stage you see more talent than you can handle. I just got home. They played over two hours.
all I can say is wowowowowow. Sooo good. Arizonans have a world renowned band to be proud of and no, it's not Jimmy Eat World (even though Jim Adkins did open the show tonight) or Linkin Park.

4 violinists, 3 mariachi's, 4 horn players. accordion, stand up bass, maracas, keyboard and more guitars. Joey Burns words and John's drum beats. That 2 + hours goes by way to fast.

It's such a breath of fresh air to see musicians who have no prerecorded material and so much talent.

I took :30 clips of video with my phone. I'll post them, not sure they are any good though. This band is so eclectic and so much fun to watch. Half the night you have 15 people on stage all playing an instrument.

faxman75
09-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Well there goes that idea, it sounds like complete shit.

This is the type of stuff you can expect

BZKxXEKdBj0

Mind you that's all in Spanish and if Luz De Luna is along for the show. If not you get a different show.

Here is a video
VshN9YnHeSY

MissingPerson
09-21-2008, 06:05 AM
I haven't checked my emails for ages, due to internet bother. Finally got into them yesterday, and got all excited that Calexico were coming to town... only to realise that was freaking weeks ago. Argh.

faxman75
09-22-2008, 07:12 AM
That sucks.

Luz De Luna and Salvador Duran bring this band to a whole new level. Salvador Duran is quite the artist as well, he painted on the side of the Rialto in Tucson above the door of the green room entrance.

Salvador is a favorite at shows. The guy has an awesome deep operetic voice.

Coachella 2009 requires Calexico.

TommyboyUNM
09-22-2008, 07:24 AM
I'll check out Calexico in November. They're coming to Albuquerque so I might as well. I bet I'll enjoy it.

faxman75
09-25-2008, 10:02 AM
setlist from Saturday

September 20th, 2008
01. Roka
02. Man Made Lake
03. Two Silver Trees
04. Inspiracion
05. Not Even Stevie Nicks
06. El Embarrado
07. Slowness
08. Writer’s Minor Holiday
09. Alone Again Or
10. Across The Wire
11. Stray
12. Minas De Cobre
13. Thema De Mariachi
14. Victor Jara’s Hands
15. Ojitos Traidores
16. The El Burro Song
17. El Son de la Negra
19. Corona
20. Guero Canelo
—————————-
21. The Middle (Jim Adkins song)
22. Cascabel
23. Crystal Frontier

Joey, John, Martin, Volker, and Jacob
Mike Carbajal- trumpet
Sergio Mendoza-keyboard and synth

with

Salvador Duran - Vocals & Guitar (1, 4, 6, 20)
Craig Schumacher - Harmonica (5)
Mariachi Luz De Luna (10-23)
Jim Adkins (from Jimmy Eat World) - Vocals (21) and Guitar (21-23)

Go Vote 2008 Concert

bmack86
09-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I think they're playing LA very soon, and I should go as I love them.

faxman75
09-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I can't get enough of them.

They are in Chicago tonight. They are touring extensively. They will be in Europe for a month it looks like as well.

http://www.casadecalexico.com/tours

MissingPerson
09-26-2008, 05:05 AM
Any recommended live boots I should try out?

faxman75
11-26-2008, 06:54 AM
bump.....

MP, I actually don't have any live boots from Calexico but I hear "World Drifts In" is an amazing DVD of a live show at Barbican in London. I have yet to see it.

UNM Tom, you went to the show last night, lets see a review!

hawkingvsreeve
11-26-2008, 11:52 AM
bump.....

MP, I actually don't have any live boots from Calexico but I hear "World Drifts In" is an amazing DVD of a live show at Barbican in London. I have yet to see it.

The DVD is fucking rad. Go buy it.

pancakespancakes
11-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Man I fully support this thread. Can't believe I hadn't seen it yet.

Been a Calexico fan for longer than most other bands, they were the band that truly got me into "indie rock" as I know it. Before them I pretty much listened never listened to modern music. I discovered them in the newspaper one day, was caught by their band name as it is the name of the small town in California my extended family is all from, and the description of their sound lead me to looking up their myspace... and yeah the rest is history.

NEVER seen them live though. It amazes me they've never played Coachella (or have they?) I would really love to. I see that they play Minas De Cobre (one of their better songs) too, which I find pretty interesting, I'd love to see it. They somehow never hit San Diego when I'm around :(

pancakespancakes
11-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I might argue that their new album is actually one of the best to start with. Its interesting how it kinda sums up their sound through all their different eras. And its just really really fucking good. I had thought Calexico was dead after Garden Ruin... but back they came!

faxman75
11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
I do not believe they have ever played Coachella. That said it would be sort of disapointing to see them play less than an hour. A treat indeed though.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I might argue that their new album is actually one of the best to start with. Its interesting how it kinda sums up their sound through all their different eras. And its just really really fucking good. I had thought Calexico was dead after Garden Ruin... but back they came!

You can't kill the kind of passion they have for music and culture. They are so deep and rich. Truely the best southwest sound you will ever find. Garden Ruin was probably their most accessible as it was a bit of a departure from the latin sound but it's back in a big way on this album. I just love the total package when they have Luz de Luna and Salvador Duran with them. It brings it to a totally new level that is so good I can't think of many live performances that are better.

pancakespancakes
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
I do not believe they have ever played Coachella. That said it would be sort of disapointing to see them play less than an hour. A treat indeed though.

That's pretty interesting to hear. Do they usually play really long epic sets?

I find that Coachella would be most approriate for them... they're such a desert band, I would just kill to see them on the polo fields in the blazing hot sun. Such a perfect Outdoor Theatre act.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
The DVD is fucking rad. Go buy it.

Sounds like a great XMAS give for myself.

hawkingvsreeve
11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
I love all of their work and think Garden Ruin is great. I did a write up in the discographies thread. Read here. (http://coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=703780&postcount=1338)

faxman75
11-26-2008, 12:12 PM
That's pretty interesting to hear. Do they usually play really long epic sets?

I find that Coachella would be most approriate for them... they're such a desert band, I would just kill to see them on the polo fields in the blazing hot sun. Such a perfect Outdoor Theatre act.

They would be great at Coachella. The last two times I saw them were pretty long sets. Nothing crazy like a PHISH set or anything. We are talking a minimum of 2 hours though. The show I saw last year in Reid Park in Tucson was 2.5 hours.

pancakespancakes
11-26-2008, 12:15 PM
They're not much of a "hits" or "fan favorites" kind of band, to me it seems. So I wonder which songs they would pick for only an hour set.

Just looking at that setlist though, I really like how they hit all their albums, its nice and well-rounded.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Awesome. I still don't have some of the older stuff and don't spend enough time with stuff like Tool Box. However, I will be listening to some more based on your discography. I spend most of my time listening to Feast of Wire, Garden Ruin and Carried to Dust. They are one of my favorite bands and I haven't even fully digested their catalog.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Just looking at that setlist though, I really like how they hit all their albums, its nice and well-rounded.

The setlist from the show I went to in September? yeah. I'm still waiting on a review from Tommyboy who saw them last night in ABQ. He said there were 6 of them playing, so I assume that's usually what they tour with, 6 members. The last two times I saw them there were no less than 12 people on stage the whole show.

I could use another show soon.

hawkingvsreeve
11-26-2008, 12:22 PM
They're not much of a "hits" or "fan favorites" kind of band, to me it seems. So I wonder which songs they would pick for only an hour set.

Stray, Crystal Frontier, Quattro, and some new ones I would guess.

bmack86
11-26-2008, 12:24 PM
They didn't do Quattro? For shame...

pancakespancakes
11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
They don't really hit their first three albums but I hardly expect them too haha.

You should really, really, really give a listen to The Black Light. That one was my first for Calexico, and it totally hooked me. Its mostly instrumental, so it won't be what you're used to, but it's Calexico nonetheless and it really concetrates all of their themes really well into this one epic concept album. You just close your eyes and you're taken somewhere else, its perfect. One of those albums that sounds like a score for a great movie that was never released.

TommyboyUNM
11-26-2008, 12:31 PM
I went in last night not really knowing what to expect. I decided on Friday that I would go because a music geek friend of mine is in town from Phoenix and we wanted to do something fun. Both of us were absolutely blown away. Mark was right, they had 6 guys on stage. I guess they play a lot of shows with a mariachi group, but they were sans mariachi last night. Sorry if I don't know the names of the songs, but here it goes:

They opened with a really soft, yet good song that they said they couldn't get to during the previous show. So it was a make-good or something. The 2nd song, as with many of their songs, started off really mellow. It was pretty awesome as Joey Burns is an really damn-good vocalist. He sorta reminded me of Jose Gonzalez in his style. Like I said, many of the songs started off mellow, but then were melting my head off before I knew it. They do a great job of layering with steel guitar, keyboards and horns. I feel the songs were at their best when Jacob Valenzulea and Martin Wenk did their things on the trumpet. Calexico has a very nice latin vibe so we shook our asses to many of the songs. Jacob sang some Spanish songs and has a very powerful voice. I loved that each member of the band was so versatile. Well the drummer, John Convertino, only played the drums. But that's to be expected. During the show, 5 of the 6 members either sang lead or harmonized with the lead. And 4 of the members played guitar during the show. When Jacob wasn't playing trumpet, he was doing his thing on the keyboard, vibraphone and a little percussion. Paul Niehaus created some sweet ambient sounds with his steel guitar and wailed on the "regular" guitar when it was time.

Basically the things that stood out were the versatility, the use of great ambient sound, the lead singer's awesome vocals and the latin grooves. This was one of the better shows I've seen this year. It's one of the 2 best shows I've seen here in Albuquerque, along with The Swell Season.

hawkingvsreeve
11-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Sweet. Another converted fan.

TommyboyUNM
11-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Sweet. Another converted fan.

I've been digging their music over the past few months, but it's been pretty casual. I don't even know the names of the songs. But I wasn't expecting THAT last night. So consider me converted, indeed.

locachica73
11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Had my sister ever heard them before T?

faxman75
11-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Nice review Tommy for not knowing much of the music going into it. As I said on facebook i'm glad I didn't overhype it. Even with less musicians you enjoyed it alot so that says something about this band.

hawkingvsreeve
11-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Its a very cool experience to watch people who just have a great knowledge and mastery of their instrument and music. The Beirut show I saw this year was very similar in that it was both very multi-instrumental and everybody was constantly switching instruments. Probably the best show I have seen all year. I was blown away.

Edit:

In response to Tommy.

TommyboyUNM
11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Had my sister ever heard them before T?

Yeah she had heard of them and was a little more familiar with their songs than I was. She had a blast at the show. I'm really glad we decided to go. We were shaking our asses and I even twirled her a few times. Haha.

locachica73
11-26-2008, 12:49 PM
I am usually the one to twirl her, I'm jealous. Glad you guys had fun. :)

TommyboyUNM
11-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Nice review Tommy for not knowing much of the music going into it. As I said on facebook i'm glad I didn't overhype it. Even with less musicians you enjoyed it alot so that says something about this band.

Yeah if they sounded that awesome and full with the 6 of them, I can't imagine what it's like with the full mariachi band. I would love to see that. You didn't overhype it at all. In fact, methinks you were trying to downplay it a little. They were just so fucking on point.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 12:58 PM
My dog "wilco" has even seen Calexico, or heard them live at least. I brought him to the show at Reid Park in Tucson. That show was free, a 10 year anniversary thank you concert put on my a used record store that's been around forever in Arizona called Bookmans. Pretty awesome a band like that not only played but did a 2.5 hour set on a beautiful night in a park of all places.

Setlist from that show...

01. Scout
02. He Lays in the Reins
03. Quattro (World Drifts In)
04. Sunken Waltz
05. Deep Down
06. Cruel
07. Sonic Wind
08. Roka
09. Señor
10. Not Even Stevie Nicks
11. Bisbee Blue
12. Alone Again Or
13. Stray
14. Across the Wire
15. Ballad of Cable Hogue
16. Cancion del Mariachi
17. Minas de Cobre
18. Inspiracion
19. Ojitos Traidores
20. Guero Canelo
21. Abismo de Amor
22. Cascabel
23. Crystal Frontier

Joey, John, Jacob + Volker
+
Nick Luca - Guitar
Mike Carbajal- trumpet
Sergio Mendoza-keyboard and synth
Salvador Duran - Vocals (2,8,9,20,21)
and Mariachi Luz De Luna (13-23)

Bookmans 30th Anniversary Party in the Park - Photos

That show was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. Hard to say when i've seen so many but it was just so excellent.

hawkingvsreeve
11-26-2008, 01:12 PM
That sounds ridiculous.

Heyyy Jealousy.

pancakespancakes
11-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Haha that's really awesome. Sounds like a great time. I wish I could take my doggie to a concert, she always hears about them, but she's the only one in the family that gets left out. :( Maybe I could sneak her into Bonnaroo!

faxman75
11-26-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm so jealous of their tour schedule. They play so much in Europe. They do finish up the leg in New York. I would love to go to a few shows and spend time in Spain, Germany, Italy, greece and austria.

Thu 01/15/09 Madrid, ESP Joy Eslava

Fri 01/16/09 Vigo, ESP Centro Social Caixanova

Sat 01/17/09 San Sebastian, ESP Victoria Eugenia Theatre

Sun 01/18/09 Zaragoza, ESP Oasis

Tue 01/20/09 Barcelona, ESP Sala Apolo

Fri 01/23/09 Bologna, ITA Estragon

Sat 01/24/09 Torino, ITA Teatro Colosseo

Tue 01/27/09 Ulm, GER Roxy

Wed 01/28/09 Leipzig, GER Conne Island

Thu 01/29/09 Salzburg, AUT Republic

Sat 01/31/09 Athens, GRE Fuzz Club

Sun 02/01/09 Thessaloniki, GRE Principle Music Theatre

Tue 03/10/09 New York, NY City Winery

MissingPerson
11-26-2008, 01:25 PM
bump.....

I'll have to hunt it down, so.

Still looking for boots though, if anybody's got a good 'un.

faxman75
11-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Some live stuff streaming.

http://www.fabchannel.com/calexico_concert

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=96980650

There used to be stuff on Wolfgangsvault but I don't see any now.

higgybaby23
11-26-2008, 02:03 PM
As a Tucson resident, I have been able to see Calexico many times over the years. Not only do these guys make great music, they are really nice people. I don't personally know them, but Tucson is a small town with maybe two degrees of seperation. I have more than one friend who has played or partied with them. My favorite show was a couple years ago when Calexico played in the parking lot of Club Congress, they were opening for Tortoise.

Also, besides Neko Case and Salvador Duran (who just performed at a Halloween house party where I DJ'd), there are a couple of other folks Calexico fans should check out. One person is Naim Amor, who is an unofficial member of the band and the other is Marianne Dissard. Both play with Calexico regularly and also have their own solo albums.

prettydirtything
11-27-2008, 06:01 PM
i thought you were talking about the city where I transfered greyhound buses at 3am on the way to my first coachella.

the same city where the bus driver dropped us off at a 24 hour jack in the box instead of the greyhound station that closed at night so we "wouldn't get mugged".

my buddy went to snort meth in the bathroom, and I sat at a table and drank tiny boxes of orange juice until dawn.

I hate Calexico.

faxman75
11-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey don't fuck up my thread with stories about your meth head friend that have nothing to do with the band we are discussing. Got it? good. :)

faxman75
12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
For the fuck of it I just checked The Rialto in tucsons calendar.

Woot

Calexico AND FRIENDS December 29th!!

TommyboyUNM
12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
For the fuck of it I just checked The Rialto in tucsons calendar.

Woot

Calexico AND FRIENDS December 29th!!

Are you serious?! Fuckin sweet. I'll be in Tucson on the 29th. Maybe I'll see if the lady wants to roll to see some good music. You going to this Faxy?

faxman75
12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
You will be here Tommy? Right? and in Tucson! Awesome.

faxman75
12-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Fuck yes i'm going. Tickets already on sale apparently but they appear to be cheaper at the door day of show.

TommyboyUNM
12-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Fuck yes i'm going. Tickets already on sale apparently but they appear to be cheaper at the door day of show.

I bet she'd be up for going for sure. She's a cool and laid back woman. I'm gonna plan on doing this. You think they'll have the mariachi group there?

faxman75
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
No idea yet. I am hoping so. I"m thinking Salvador Duran is probable, he painted mural on the outside of the artists entrance of The Rialto Theater where they are playing.

pancakespancakes
12-03-2008, 03:53 PM
So I just listened to Carried to Dust for the first time in a while, and I've decided that this is seriously up there (perhaps a 3-way tie with Black Light and Feast of Wire) for their best album. Its so flawless and simultaneously so catchy. I'm listening to it all the time now. I haven't been giving it enough credit! Will definitely be in my top 20 albums of 2008, if not higher.

faxman75
12-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I got giddy as soon as I saw they were coming back. Thank god they call Tucson home.

karma_guy
12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
soooooo excited for this calexico show!
i wonder if they're going to have the full mariachi band with them again?
i'm secretly hoping iron & wine shows up and plays with em
i mean i know some of the calexico guys showed up and played with sam when he was touring solo with the swell season
but i ALSO remember calexico and iron & wine playing a joint show back in 06 i think at the rialto

so i can hope

TommyboyUNM
12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
My girl is definitely up for Calexico. I'm gonna buy tickets soon. Maybe tonight once I'm done talking to her. I'm excited for this.

faxman75
12-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Monday's show is with Sergio Mendoza Y La Orchestra. No idea who they are. I'm expecting it to be good though.

Calexico's KXCI benefit in 2007 sold out as well, so this year it's been moved from the Temple of Music and Art to Rialto Theatre to accommodate popular demand. Special guests this year include Sergio Mendoza Y La Orchestra, which is an expanded version of Mendoza's former Latin jazz orchestra, Seven to Blue, with more of a pop-sensibility. Mendoza, also a member of Tucson's The Jons, has been performing with Calexico on and off for the last year, mostly playing piano, and has collaborated with Calexico on upcoming projects with artists from Tucson all the way to Spain. (More info on that as they let us leak!)

General admission tickets are on sale currently for Calexico & Friends with Sergio Mendoza Y La Orchestra at Rialto Theatre for $19 in advance, $20 day of show. Balcony seats have already sold out, so don't delay! Purchase online or get more information at Rialto Theatre.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Monday's show is with Sergio Mendoza Y La Orchestra. No idea who they are. I'm expecting it to be good though.

Calexico's KXCI benefit in 2007 sold out as well, so this year it's been moved from the Temple of Music and Art to Rialto Theatre to accommodate popular demand. Special guests this year include Sergio Mendoza Y La Orchestra, which is an expanded version of Mendoza's former Latin jazz orchestra, Seven to Blue, with more of a pop-sensibility. Mendoza, also a member of Tucson's The Jons, has been performing with Calexico on and off for the last year, mostly playing piano, and has collaborated with Calexico on upcoming projects with artists from Tucson all the way to Spain. (More info on that as they let us leak!)

General admission tickets are on sale currently for Calexico & Friends with Sergio Mendoza Y La Orchestra at Rialto Theatre for $19 in advance, $20 day of show. Balcony seats have already sold out, so don't delay! Purchase online or get more information at Rialto Theatre.

Damnit! More shows in Tucson I probably won't be able to go to.

TommyboyUNM
12-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Got my tickets for Monday and I'm ready to go. Woot.

faxman75
12-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Why can't you go Gonsh?

LooseAtTheZoo
12-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure, exactly, It's just tough for me to to the two hour drive both ways, for bands that I like (i.e. Calexico) but aren't super crazy about. If it's at the Marquee, I'm fine seeing those bands because it's not that much of a time sacrifice. Hmmm. Good tickets are still available, right? I've never been to the Rialto...

faxman75
12-27-2008, 11:48 AM
The Rialto is GA with balcony seating that you can purchase at a slightly higher cost. It's actually my favorite venue in the entire state. When bands play here in Phoenix and then the Rialto in Tucson, I skip the Phoenix date and head south. The Marquee is quite a polarizing venue. I don't mind it but I know people that absolutely hate it there. One of the best shows I ever saw was Wilco and Calexico at the Marquee.

Anyway, if you are interested Gonsh I have room for you and I plan on departing around 3:30-4:00PM on Monday with a friend of mine. We are picking up Tommyboy in Tucson somewhere a couple miles from the venue. We plan on returning as soon as the show is over and hopefully will be back in Phoenix by 1am but I have no idea what time this will end.

Anyway, let me know if you are interested.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-27-2008, 12:03 PM
The Rialto is GA with balcony seating that you can purchase at a slightly higher cost. It's actually my favorite venue in the entire state. When bands play here in Phoenix and then the Rialto in Tucson, I skip the Phoenix date and head south. The Marquee is quite a polarizing venue. I don't mind it but I know people that absolutely hate it there. One of the best shows I ever saw was Wilco and Calexico at the Marquee.

Anyway, if you are interested Gonsh I have room for you and I plan on departing around 3:30-4:00PM on Monday with a friend of mine. We are picking up Tommyboy in Tucson somewhere a couple miles from the venue. We plan on returning as soon as the show is over and hopefully will be back in Phoenix by 1am but I have no idea what time this will end.

Anyway, let me know if you are interested.

Sure will. If I go, do you recommend getting balcony seats or just GA.

faxman75
12-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I always get GA, I prefer ground level close to the stage. I don't have tickets yet either, figured I would just get them at the door.

LooseAtTheZoo
12-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I always get GA, I prefer ground level close to the stage. I don't have tickets yet either, figured I would just get them at the door.

I'm surprised Calexico doesn't sell out, especially in Tucson. I'm always too worried about not getting tickets though...hmmm. I really want to go to this, I'll know by tomorrow.

karma_guy
12-27-2008, 01:27 PM
well the rialto generally never sells out
i think it's just that tucson isn't full of music lovers
or rather everyone here just loves metal and ska
i mean i love ska too but theres a line

faxman75
12-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I always get concerned about sell outs too. Though I don't know that many shows of theirs that have sold out in advance. Their show at the Rialto a couple of months ago was not sold out either. Maybe 60-80% full. This being a Monday night and in a college town during a holiday break i'm guessing it won't sell out. Also this gig doesn't appear to have been publicized very well, it's not even on pollstar. It's a benefit for a radio station.

faxman75
12-27-2008, 01:36 PM
well the rialto generally never sells out
i think it's just that tucson isn't full of music lovers
or rather everyone here just loves metal and ska
i mean i love ska too but theres a line

Yeah, the last sell out I remember was Beck in mid 2006 or 2007.

karma_guy
12-27-2008, 08:48 PM
well jason mraz trio sold out this fall
and girl talk did by the night of

westcoastpirate
12-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Ween sold out the Rialto last November.

And that was the best show I went to in 2007.

TomAz
12-27-2008, 10:38 PM
hey so I just saw this thread just now.

I endorse Calexico. I think on the old board I proposed them for Coachella 05 or something.

also, even though Brandon gave it a warm but not hot review, i think the 'Convict Pool' EP is pretty amazing. I like it better than any of their albums or other EPs*. IMO they are focused and energized and there's not a misplaced note over the whole 30 minutes or so.

*edit: albums or EPs that I've heard. which is not all of them. I am not a Calexico expert. i just have these few records and live they've bowled me over.

faxman75
12-28-2008, 06:08 AM
Welcome Tom. Certainly not a better band in the state possibly the whole southwest.

faxman75
12-30-2008, 06:21 AM
Always worth the mutherfuckin' trip. They put on a fantastic show. No Mariachi Luz De Luna this time but the openers Sergio Mendoza Y La Orchestra were quite the mexican ensamble. The horns were glorious last night as Sergio Mendoza's orchestra joined Calexico for maybe half their set. I'm terrible with Calexico's song names but a couple highlights were two spanish covers "lupito" and "lupito mamba" I believe. One song featured solos from every single horn player in the Orchestra.

It was a spectacular crowd for a Monday night in a college town over a holiday break but this is an annual benefit that they do and Tucsonians do know how to shower this band with love. It was near sold out and much more full than the political fundraiser they played a couple months back. My only criticism if any was that Joey's voice seemed a little flat on a couple of the songs. There was a taper there so hopefully I can find the recording.

I took a couple pictures with my phone since I forgot my camera and they suck but here they are anyway.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/1230650361.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/1230650335.jpg

So there you have it. I'm sure Tom will have a take as well.

faxman75
12-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Songs I know they played....I suck with titles but these are the ones I recall.

Two Silver Trees
Victor jara's hands
The News About William
Cruel
Crumble
Across The Wire
Roka
Manmade Lake

faxman75
01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Full setlist from the show. I guess I didn't hear across the wire ha.

2008-12-29 - The Rialto Theatre, Tucson, AZ
December 29th, 2008

01. Frontera/Trigger *
02. Deep Down
03. We All Make The Flowers Grow
04. Bend To The Road **
05. Cruel
06. Man Made Lake
07. The News About William
08. Two Silver Trees
09. Quattro +
10. Inspiracion * +
11. History of Lovers +
12. Crumble ++
13. Roka * ++
14. Cumbia Lupita ++
15. Alone Again Or ++
16. Fractured Air ++
17. Stray #
————————-
18. Victor Jara’s Hands ##
19. Mambo Lupita ## (Salvador vocal)
20. Guero Canelo ##

* = w/ Salvador Duran
** = w/ Craig Schumacher (harp)
+ = w/ Jeff Marchand (trombone) & Marco Rosano (sax)
++ = w/ above horns w/ Y La Orchestra (10 piece horn section, bass, and percussion)
# = w/ above & Johnny Contreras (guitar)
## = everyone…

Joey Burns - Guitar & Lead Vocals
John Convertino - Drums
Jacob Valenzuela - Trumpet, Lead Vocal (10), Vibes
Nick Luca - Guitar, Vibes
Chris Giambalucca - Bass
Mike Carbajal - Trumpet
Sergio Mendoza - Keys, Melodica

Sergio Mendoza Y La Orchestra opened the show.

Annual Benefit Show for KXCI-FM

karma_guy
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
well if you still haven'y gotten your Calexico fix
Calexico primary songwriting duo Joey Burns and John Convertino will play the Wooden Ball at Club Congress on Friday, Jan. 9.

wooden ball=local Tucson artists playing acoustic only sets

should be good

faxman75
01-03-2009, 04:55 AM
Alright, I guess I have to go to this then. :)

faxman75
01-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Actually I may not go to this for sure. They are only doing a 20 minute acoustic set. I still might go for it.

Here is a great interview with Joey Burns on pitchfork from November.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/node/145880

MissingPerson
01-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Nearly certain I must have posted this here before, but somebody asked me for it on another forum so I thought I'd throw the link up here too in case anybody missed it.

Calexico's rather outstanding cover of Ocean of Noise:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4GSPACNA

faxman75
01-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Calexico back in Phoenix! Come on Coachella lets book them there too!

Calexico with Sergio Mendoza y La Orkesta & Salvador Duran
Saturday, April 4th, 8pm $20
Historic Heritage Square
115 N. 6th St. Phoenix
602-262-5029

LooseAtTheZoo
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Calexico back in Phoenix! Come on Coachella lets book them there too!

Calexico with Sergio Mendoza y La Orkesta & Salvador Duran
Saturday, April 4th, 8pm $20
Historic Heritage Square
115 N. 6th St. Phoenix
602-262-5029

Woo! Good find, this one will make up for when I missed them in Tucson.

hawkingvsreeve
01-22-2009, 03:33 PM
hey so I just saw this thread just now.

I endorse Calexico. I think on the old board I proposed them for Coachella 05 or something.

also, even though Brandon gave it a warm but not hot review, i think the 'Convict Pool' EP is pretty amazing. I like it better than any of their albums or other EPs*. IMO they are focused and energized and there's not a misplaced note over the whole 30 minutes or so.

*edit: albums or EPs that I've heard. which is not all of them. I am not a Calexico expert. i just have these few records and live they've bowled me over.

Convict Pool

Released: 2004

This is worth owning just for the cover of Alone Again Or, but the rest of the EP is very solid. Si Tu Disais, Corona and Sirena are other highlights here. A must have if you are a fan.

9/10

I gave it love.

faxman75
01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Woo! Good find, this one will make up for when I missed them in Tucson.
I didn't find it. I have to credit Dylanja for the find. :)

see also the phoenix thread.

hawkingvsreeve
01-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Calexico will be in San Diego April 17th...

I really hope they are at Coach so I don't have to miss them completely.

HobbitFromPA
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Can't wait for the April 4th show. Here's hoping they make it on the Coachella lineup.

faxman75
02-13-2009, 04:38 PM
May 2nd....Tucson AZ The Rialto!!!

faxman75
03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
bump.....

So this coming Saturday in Phoenix is going to be a hell of a show with Salvador Duran and Sergio Mendoza Orkestra. I'm considering the Flagstaff show on April 11th as well since I will be heading back from Vegas that afternoon. I have to look into how much that would add to the drive back from Vegas though and how much tickets are still.

Do not miss these guys at Coachella.

LooseAtTheZoo
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Stinkweeds today had quite a few Calexico albums for relatively low prices on vinyl

faxman75
03-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Perfect, you should totally buy my record player! :)

faxman75
04-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Calexico-Heritage Square/Phoenix, AZ
Saturday April 4th, 2009

On a beautiful desert night in downtown Phoenix, Calexico finally made their triumphant return to the valley of the sun. I arrived at the show around 8:00PM and immediately began exploring the venue. Heritage Square doesn’t typically host rock concerts but this wasn’t your typical rock concert. Upon entering the square I immediately took notice to the classy spread. A few banquet tables with candles for ambiance scattered about with Four Peaks brewery offering beer and homemade tamales. This was to be a festive night kicked off by Sergio Mendoza y La Orkesta. The best way to describe the Orkestra is as a classic Latin big band with mambo’s and mariachi’s they got the crowd in the perfect mood for a beautiful night of music.

This show marked Calexico’s first return to the valley since a headlining show at the Clubhouse back in 2006. Calexico played one of their loudest and most vibrant sets yet as they hopped around their large catalog of songs, inviting members of the Orkestra back on stage for part of the set and also having Salvador Duran return with them who adds a rich and operatic Spanish soul to tracks like “Roka”. Calexico attracts music lovers from the older more reserved crowd who search out culture in this desert wasteland to hip indie kids who boast of “eargasms” when listening to the eclectic musical styling’s of this Arizona band.

One might have a difficult time counting the number of members on stage during any given time at a Calexico show but rest assured they aren’t up there wasting anyone’s time. You are guaranteed to hear some of the best musicians in the country playing some of the liveliest and cultured music anywhere, which is exactly why the indie crowd eats it up. There are not many bands as artistic as Calexico when it comes to their sound and lyrics. Take away the music and you have poetry in the abstract. Calexico’s song writing can be dissected much like a painting, instead of looking intently and deciphering the impression the artist is trying to relay, you are listening and picturing an entire scene set to the most beautiful southwest sounds and it’s mostly all left up to the listeners interpretation.

Calexico is touring in support of their latest effort “carried to dust”. A marriage of old classic Calexico "convict pool" or "feast of wire" and newer Calexico like the more accessible “garden ruin”. They are set to play in Flagstaff this coming weekend Saturday April, 11th and then the Coachella Valley Music and Arts festival on April 18th to which Joey told me after the show with an excited grin “I’m not sure what to expect”. I know what to expect. Some of the most talented artists in the country and band who is proud to call Tucson home, entertaining tens of thousands of fans by playing the eclectic sounds of the southwest.

LooseAtTheZoo
04-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Calexico-Heritage Square/Phoenix, AZ
Saturday April 4th, 2009

On a beautiful desert night in downtown Phoenix, Calexico finally made their triumphant return to the valley of the sun. I arrived at the show around 8:00PM and immediately began exploring the venue. Heritage Square doesn’t typically host rock concerts but this wasn’t your typical rock concert. Upon entering the square I immediately took notice to the classy spread. A few banquet tables with candles for ambiance scattered about with Four Peaks brewery offering beer and homemade tamales. This was to be a festive night kicked off by Sergio Mendoza y La Orkesta. The best way to describe the Orkestra is as a classic Latin big band with mambo’s and mariachi’s they got the crowd in the perfect mood for a beautiful night of music.

This show marked Calexico’s first return to the valley since a headlining show at the Clubhouse back in 2006. Calexico played one of their loudest and most vibrant sets yet as they hopped around their large catalog of songs, inviting members of the Orkestra back on stage for part of the set and also having Salvador Duran return with them who adds a rich and operatic Spanish soul to tracks like “Roka”. Calexico attracts music lovers from the older more reserved crowd who search out culture in this desert wasteland to hip indie kids who boast of “eargasms” when listening to the eclectic musical styling’s of this Arizona band.

One might have a difficult time counting the number of members on stage during any given time at a Calexico show but rest assured they aren’t up there wasting anyone’s time. You are guaranteed to hear some of the best musicians in the country playing some of the liveliest and cultured music anywhere, which is exactly why the indie crowd eats it up. There are not many bands as artistic as Calexico when it comes to their sound and lyrics. Take away the music and you have poetry in the abstract. Calexico’s song writing can be dissected much like a painting, instead of looking intently and deciphering the impression the artist is trying to relay, you are listening and picturing an entire scene set to the most beautiful southwest sounds and it’s mostly all left up to the listeners interpretation.

Calexico is touring in support of their latest effort “carried to dust”. A marriage of old classic Calexico "convict pool" or "feast of wire" and newer Calexico like the more accessible “garden ruin”. They are set to play in Flagstaff this coming weekend Saturday April, 11th and then the Coachella Valley Music and Arts festival on April 18th to which Joey told me after the show with an excited grin “I’m not sure what to expect”. I know what to expect. Some of the most talented artists in the country and band who is proud to call Tucson home, entertaining tens of thousands of fans by playing the eclectic sounds of the southwest.

Did you write this fax? Well done, good review.

faxman75
04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I did and thank you.

faxman75
04-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Set list and credits.

April 6th, 2009
01. Frontera/Trigger*
02. Not Even Stevie Nicks
03. Across The Wire
04. Bend To The Road
05. Man Made Lake
06. Writer’s Minor Holiday
07. The News About William
08. Two Silver Trees
09. Quattro
10. Inspiracion
11. Minas de Cobre
12. In The Reins*
13. Crumble
14. Roka*
15. Alone Again Or
16. Fractured Air
————————-
17. Mambo Lupita with Sergio Mendoza y La Orkesta
18. Crystal Frontier with y La Orkesta

* = w/ Salvador Duran

Calexico:
John Convertino - drums
Joey Burns - guitars, vocals, vibes
Jacob Valenzuela - trumpet, vibes, vocals
Paul Niehaus - pedal steel, guitar, vocals
Chris Giambelluca - bass
Nick Luca - guitar, vibes
Mike Carbjal - trumpet
Marco Rosano - baritone sax, clarinet
Jeff Marchant - trombone
Sergio Mendoza - piano, wurlitzer, casio
Salvador Duran - vocals, shakers, guitar

TommyboyUNM
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Songs 5-9 made up my favorite part of the show. I was dancing with some blonde chick during the encore. Calexico just never disappoints.

faxman75
04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Roka was simply awesome!

a listener
04-15-2009, 01:16 PM
If you are unsure pick up Convict Pool a small EP with songs that showcase the wide variety of styles they have

pancakespancakes
04-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I am wondering, for you experts here, what are the odds of getting Minas de Cobre at Coachella? Is it one of those songs they play every single show?

It's been a dream of mine to see that song live. I know their set will be amazing regardless, but of all songs, that one would just kill me...

faxman75
04-27-2009, 01:54 PM
This will be another WIN show. I expect 2 full hours and tons of awesome fun since it's with the Orkestra and most likely Salvadore Duran. It's also for charity.

Tucson, AZ The Rialto
saturday May 02
Calexico (Rock)
with Sergio Mendoza y La Orkesta
7 pm doors / 8 pm showtime all ages $20 gen. admission adv.* / $22 gen. admission day of show* $26 reserve seated balcony adv.*

Gribbz
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
This will be another WIN show. I expect 2 full hours and tons of awesome fun since it's with the Orkestra and most likely Salvadore Duran. It's also for charity.

Tucson, AZ The Rialto
saturday May 02
Calexico (Rock)
with Sergio Mendoza y La Orkesta
7 pm doors / 8 pm showtime all ages $20 gen. admission adv.* / $22 gen. admission day of show* $26 reserve seated balcony adv.*

We should meet up for an adult beverage before the show. :thu

faxman75
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm down. I just have to see who all is coming with me. It's usually a variety of different people and this time might roommates mom might be along for the ride *lol* should be fun though! Shoot me your number in a pm and I can text you when i get to town if you like.

faxman75
05-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Another great Calexico show tonight. Just got back from Tucson and the band was in fine form. I decided to get up close tonight. Stood second row basically and I think we were in front of the speakers as they projected over our heads if that makes sense so it wasn't nearly as loud as it should have been. Slightly lower vocals as well but that said it was another fantastic show. At one point I believe I counted 17 people on stage including the finale Chrystal Frontier with the Orkestra, horns, Salvador Duran and mariachi's. I recorded two of the tracks on my camera so we will see how they sound later.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Calexico%20Tucson%20May%202009/001.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Calexico%20Tucson%20May%202009/030.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Calexico%20Tucson%20May%202009/037.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Calexico%20Tucson%20May%202009/060.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Calexico%20Tucson%20May%202009/019.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/faxman75/Calexico%20Tucson%20May%202009/066.jpg

After the show I asked Joey Burns if he was looking forward to Sasquatch and if he had played the Gorge before. He said he was looking forward to it and it's a venue that's different every time...The drive continues to be worth it for these guys. Over the course of 2 hours they take the crowd on incredible cultural journey. I was really impressed tonight with Paul Niehaus as he started to really kill on some solo's especially during Man Made Lake. I'm looking forward to seeing them again at Sasquatch with the most beautiful natural back drop.

faxman75
05-03-2009, 08:02 AM
It came out sounding decent.

In the Reins

OeIqPatFckQ

Kid B
05-03-2009, 08:15 AM
That looks awesome. Hope you had a great time. I might have to catch them live. Dissappointed that I missed their Coachella set.

bmack86
05-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Wait, is Corona the Minutemen song?

faxman75
05-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Wait, is Corona the Minutemen song?

Yes and it's on Convict Pool.

bmack86
05-03-2009, 10:33 AM
shit, I need to listen to Convict Pool again. I don't remember that at all. I guess Alone Again Or kinda overshadows it.

faxman75
05-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Writers Minor Holiday

KmkwCPy97dQ

faxman75
05-11-2009, 12:11 PM
May 2nd, 2009
01. House of Valparaiso
02. Corona
03. Writer’s Minor Holiday
04. Across The Wire
05. Man Made Lake
06. Not Even Stevie Nicks
07. Minas De Cobre
08. Inspiracion *
09. Roka *
10. Stray *
11. Two Silver Trees
12. Ojitos Traidores **
13. Let Her Dance **
14. In The Reins *
15. Alone Again Or +
16. Fractured Air *, +
———————-
17. Victor Jara’s Hands +
19. Mambo Lupita
20. Crystal Frontier (w/ everyone)

14-20 w/ Y La Orchestra

* = w/ Salvador Duran
** = w/ Johnny Contreras
+ = w/ Ruben Moreno

Joey Burns - Guitar & Lead Vocals
John Convertino - Drums
Jacob Valenzuela - Trumpet, Lead Vocal (08), Vibes
Nick Luca - Guitar, Vibes
Chris Giambalucca - Bass
Mike Carbajal - Trumpet
Sergio Mendoza - Keys, Melodica

TommyboyUNM
05-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Seems like they dropped The News About William from their set lists?

faxman75
05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I think their setlist varies depending on who is with the band at the time. Even key figures like guitarists Martin and Volker who played at Coachella weren't at the show in Tucson where we got Nick and Chris on guitar and bass. The only constants seem to be John, Joey and Jacob on trumpet.

faxman75
10-08-2009, 04:52 PM
http://www.rialtotheatre.com/images/events/flordemuertos_web.png

ON SALE FRIDAY A live performance by Calexico on the occasion of the filming of Flor de Muertos, a documentary celebration of the Twentieth Anniversary All Souls Procession and the music of Calexico. The entire concert will be filmed.

Be part of this one-of-a-kind event as The Rialto Theatre is transformed into a Day of the Dead street scene, complete with a huge shrine onstage, processions by the performers, and other wonders.

Presented by The Rialto Theatre

$30 general admission advance
$32 general admission day of show
$37 reserve seated balcony
* prices may be subject to service fees

faxman75
10-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Ticket purchased. This is going to be really cool. Their concert follows the all souls procession in Tucson. The whole event sound pretty great.

http://www.allsoulsprocession.org/

A friend of mine in Tucson explained the all souls procession to me.

This is the first year that there is a 'big-time' musical component to All Souls Procession, and at that it is a concurrent event, unless they hold off for the urn burning before they start the show at the scheduled 8:30p.

All Souls Procession is a massive (20K people) community parade/procession where people come as they are, dress in skeletonish costume, make a small rideable/pushable float or alter or go so far as making a 15 ft stilted puppet in memory of the departed. Some people march with drums or other instruments and it is very free form on the procession route. There will also be lots of area for spectators along the route. We have walked it and have watched from the curb. (that website linked above has some cool video of last year in the history tab, and i also posted it on my FB page.)

The procession starts at 6 p.m. on 4 th Ave and goes through downtown down Congress and ends up at a raised old railroad dock. At the dock, there will be a performance from the fire acrobats, Flam Chen (they sometimes decorate the underpasses which makes it really neat when walking beneath skeletons twirling fire). After their show, they will burn a giant paper globe or urn that people have been invited all weekend during the other events to put prayers, memories and wishes for their departed. I think the whole thing wraps up around 11, but i'm not sure when they are going to light the big urn.

from their site:

DO: Come and enjoy the experience in a way that works for you. Dress up, get out of your regular regiment and persona; make a mask, a puppet, an art installation, an altar; some way of honoring those who have gone before, who we remember, honor, release, and embrace. Allow yourself to flow into an experience of real community, where we interact in ways that are different, authentic to our nature, and open to our feelings.

DON’T: Be high, drunk, or in anyone’s space in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable. This event should be safe to bring a newborn infant to, or your dear aging grandmother. What allows the magic to happen is for everyone to feel safe. It is your job to create this kind of space. The moment we require help from police or any other authority to make sure that happens, we have lost something truly precious.

faxman75
11-09-2009, 06:17 AM
I'm exhausted. What a show though and for that matter what an awesome yearly cultural event they have down there in Tucson. So much art, creativity and diversity. We got there in time for the finish of the "all souls procession" which is a parade through the streets of Tucson in rememberence of those who have passed. Most dress in skeleton type costumes but there are a few who don't necessarily follow that tradition, from what I saw it was mostly drunk college kids who weren't exactly partisipating as is requested. This is a family affair and being drunk and stoned at this event is considered to be a bit disrespectful. I will have a few more photo's to share this evening of some of the parade as well as the set list and some of the inside decorations at The Rialto. The show ended sometime around 12:30am and I was not home until 2:30AM. The entire evening was in fact video taped and they were enforcing a very strict no photo policy last night but I still managed to snap a few with my phone and they didn't seem to mind people and decoration photo's.

The band was also dressed up for the occasion very reminiscent of A Christmas Carol with their suits, dark makeup on their face and around their eyes. Kicking off the festivities inside the Rialto last night was Molehill Orkestrah a Tucson band perfectly fit for the occasion with their mostly instrumental performance. They had an eclectic combination of instruments that sounded rich and more than suitable for this evenings occasion. http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_173621411283_666671283_2977676_4311513_n.jpg
These are mostly a little blurry due to this being my camera phone, but I’ll be posting some more this evening.
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_173598836283_666671283_2977418_5004424_n.jpg

A glimpse of some of the décor above the stage.

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_173584766283_666671283_2977236_1738888_n.jpg

Calexico’s own Jacob Valenzuela wrapped up the Molehill Orkestrah’s set as several people carried a coffin from the lobby of The Rialto all the way to the stage. Jacob then got inside the coffin as Molehill continued to play it’s final song that closed with Jacob playing his trumpet as he rose from the coffin.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_173867501283_666671283_2980438_6816481_n.jpg
Finally there was a break and the set change took place. About 30 minutes later Calexico came to the stage. The vibe throughout the night was very festive. Calexico started the night as a 3 piece as they opened the set with “all the pretty horses” a soft and dramatic piece that reminded us of the somber aspects of the occasion. With multiple video camera’s around the venue and so much confetti and streamers I really started to understand the vibe of this occasion.
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_173645296283_666671283_2978267_5344241_n.jpg
The show went on to feature hits like “man made lake” where guitarist Paul Niehaus shredded on the guitar solo to songs like “two silver trees” and “black heart”. The stage rotated with members of the Sergio Mendoza and his Orkestra, Salvador Duran and Mariachi Luz De Luna and in total by the end of the night there were 30 people that paraded off stage and into the crowd as Joey Burns proclaimed “lets take it to the streets, to the people”! As they all played Crystal Frontier and came down in to the audience and continued jamming in the audience with confetti and streamers everywhere and then they paraded back onto the stage for a big finish. Hopefully this DVD comes out fairly soon but I have no idea when this will be. I hope they get Calexico to play this event yearly as it celebrates the city of Tucson, it’s music and the day of the dead tradition.

More photo’s and set list coming this evening.

Aurgasm
11-09-2009, 08:12 AM
so jealous

faxman75
11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
A couple of the songs seemed really special as if they have never been done live exactly as they were on record for instance I think it was Martin Wenk who came up to the microphone to do his whistling part and horn playing in 'El Gatillo' where normally I have heard the whistling on a pre recorded track or not done at all.

During Roka they had both the male and female operetic solo's done live. I don't recall the womens name but she has a solo album coming next year and of course Salvador Duran who is always a huge crowd favorite.

I also forgot to mention before returning to the stage with mariachi Luz Deluna during the encore Salvador and a couple other band members became even more festiv and dressed up in more skeletal garb and seeing Salvador dressed in a skeleton costume was awesome.

Late in the evening people started hitting a pinata that was hanging from a balcony while the band was playing and once it finally broke glitter was everywhere. They also handed out skeleton faces to the entire crowd, it was nuts...during "crystal fronteir" Joey Burns seemed to get his "rave" on going 'oot ooot' several times from the stage and through the audience as they paraded through playing. This show was a fucking great time. Tucson succeeds so much with their music scene and culture. Just to see Joey and the rest of Calexico continue to embrace the Tucson community with constant fundraisers and evnets like this where they showcase some of the finest talent in Arizona is pretty awesome.

Hopefully I never get bored of this band because I see them so much but their catalog is fairly large and every time I see this band I see a completely different show. For instance if you saw them at Sasquatch or Coachella this year, you saw about half of what they are capable of doing.

ETA: I forgot to mention this show was sold out and they showed the show for free on the side of the building on a giant screen and had the doors open so you could hear as well as a monitor outside. They had a full bar outside for those watching for free as well. You were also allowed to go in and out of the venue at will.

faxman75
11-09-2009, 04:31 PM
The procession outside before the show.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174261901283_666671283_2984356_5563562_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174261956283_666671283_2984362_1468574_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174261971283_666671283_2984364_7711021_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174261976283_666671283_2984365_2123681_n.jpg

I guess we needed to have some people get political.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174261996283_666671283_2984367_1883985_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174262006283_666671283_2984369_3650546_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174262026283_666671283_2984372_3192476_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174262096283_666671283_2984380_3618286_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174262136283_666671283_2984385_3399265_n.jpg

Even doggies got dressed up.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174262141283_666671283_2984386_5564572_n.jpg

and chickens!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174262151283_666671283_2984388_4410929_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174262176283_666671283_2984390_2608977_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174262201283_666671283_2984393_1146254_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174262206283_666671283_2984394_6115205_n.jpg

Ok, enough of the parade. There are more of those pics on my facebook page if anyone is interested.

On with the music event of the evening!

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174262246283_666671283_2984401_7395766_n.jpg

A blurry shot of the mural that was painted on the side of The Rialto Theater in Tucson.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174262266283_666671283_2984404_2658386_n.jpg

Inside the venue was all decked out in day of the dead for the special filming.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174262271283_666671283_2984405_6075502_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174262276283_666671283_2984406_7883078_n.jpg

The band plays as a pinata is hanging from the balcony about to be struck.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14644_174262291283_666671283_2984409_3481228_n.jpg

The set list for the evening...

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14644_174262311283_666671283_2984413_6641868_n.jpg

I don't know exactly how long the show was but I think Calexico hit the stage around 9:45 and we finally got out of the venue around 12:30AM.

Until next time...

faxman75
04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
bump! Calexico is playing the KXCI benefit in Tucson tomorrow.

Festival en el Barrio Viejo
Saturday's benefit is not the first time Tucson-based Calexico has stepped up to raise funds for KXCI. A yearly benefit concert for the station has become a tradition in Tucson, usually taking place near New Year's Eve at concert venues like the Temple of Music and Art or the Rialto. But Calexico frontman Joey Burns has long dreamed of creating an event like Saturday's.

Billed as a "Calexico and friends" event, the afternoon is meant to feel more like a neighborhood festival or block party. Guests include frequent Calexico collaborators Naim Amor, Tom Walbank, Salvador Duran and Sergio Mendoza y la Orkesta, about whom Peterson is especially excited. "I have heard so much great stuff about them. I understand he is just high-energy, up-on-your-feet dancing fun, so that's the one I wouldn't want to miss."

Peterson also eagerly anticipates the participation of high school mariachi musicians in the festival. Perhaps these kids are exactly the demographic KXCI is looking for.

Band schedule
Main Stage
1:15p - Fourkiller Flats
2:10p - Tom Walbank
3:05p - Crawdaddy-O
4:00p - Sergio Mendoza Y La Orkesta feat. Salvador Duran
5:00p - Calexico & Friends
Side Stage
1:50p - Courtney Robbins
2:45p - Silver Thread Trio
3:40p - Naim Amor
4:35p - Mariachi Aztlan de Pueblo High School

faxman75
07-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Calexico is giving away a free live album via download.

http://calexico.cashmusic.org/

Live in Nuremberg

1. Roka
2. Bend to the Road
3. Inspiration
4. Crystal Frontier
5. Two Silver Trees
6. Red Blooms
7. Victor Jara's Hands
8. Man Made Lake
9. Fractured Air
10. All Systems Red

hawkingvsreeve
07-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Los Super 7 is unfortunately no longer a part of this show as they have cancelled their entire tour.

Calexico is now 100% headlining, and are brining Sergio Mendoza Y La Orkesta as support.

7:00pm Doors
8:00pm Sergio Mendoza Y La Orkesta
9:15pm Calexico

New Ticket price is $20ADV $22DOS

Winner.

faxman75
07-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm not crazy about the sound on that free live recording I posted. The energy on the first few songs is very low as well, the band is known to build crazy momentum through their set though and I haven't listened to the second half.

Brandon is that for the show at the Belly Up?

hawkingvsreeve
07-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah. The whole tour i think.

faxman75
07-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Nice, they don't have much of a US tour going actually. I only see the L.A. and Solana Beach shows listed. I'm expecting a show or two before the end of the year in Tucson though, especially another day of the dead show, that show last year was very fun with all the costumes and decorations.

ETA they are also doing the Jazz Aspen show with Wilco and Devotchka. That would be a beautiful lineup to see.

hawkingvsreeve
07-22-2010, 01:14 PM
That would be fucking ridiculous. Sweet Jeezy.

faxman75
07-22-2010, 01:45 PM
I started to look into cost. The festival pass itself if reasonable but flying to Denver and then getting to Aspen on top of a room in Aspen was was just out of my range, especially if I went solo. I started to think about it and i've seen them all before multiple times...but man, all in one night in Aspen!

faxman75
07-29-2010, 12:13 PM
http://vivaarizona.org/images/ArtistsforActionPhxConcertandRallythumb.jpg

Free anti SB1070 show in Tempe.