PDA

View Full Version : For those about to bike, I salute you.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

algunz
08-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Thought I might start a place for the bike riders. Following are pictures from my solo ride today, but all bike lovers are welcome.

I originally went to Whiting Ranch this morning, but some crazy homeless guy tried to pet some baby mountain lions. Momma wasn't too keen on that and slashed him, thus the park was closed. So I headed over to Aliso Viejo and these are some pix from my ride. It's days like today that make me realize for sure that SoCal is a fucking desert. But I had fun.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1013.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1017.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1022.jpg

Pixiessp
08-06-2008, 09:01 PM
what kind of bike do you have Algunz?

locachica73
08-06-2008, 09:01 PM
have you ever considered doing the ragbrai? biking across iowa? a bunch of people from work do it and i am considering trying it next year.

algunz
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM
what kind of bike do you have Algunz?

I've got a '98 Mrazek. I love her, but on trails like the ones above I would definitely be interested in some back suspension. My ass is a bit tired. :)

algunz
08-06-2008, 09:10 PM
have you ever considered doing the ragbrai? biking across iowa? a bunch of people from work do it and i am considering trying it next year.

I say go for it, but I've never heard of it. :)

locachica73
08-06-2008, 09:14 PM
well i work in construction and most of the folk are from iowa, they do this big bike ride every year across iowa, big drunken, corn eating, hanging with the bosses ride. and those boys in iowa can party. so i am thinking about training now just to be able to hold my own.

Pixiessp
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
i have a Trek 7.3 FX. I was going to get a mountain bike as i have always had one since the 80's but I knew i would not be bouncing around on trails(gnarly rheutism(sp) in left shoulder so I opted for speed. I love my bike!
my buddy Pam bought a Trek Soho and left it at my house and told me not to ride it. I'm gonna ride it tomorrow. :) it's a beaut!! someone has to give it love and it might as well be me.

Pixiessp
08-06-2008, 09:19 PM
that's great Chica!! do it. I love being on a bike.I spent a whole summer on my bike.never once drove my car except once a week around the block a few times.

locachica73
08-06-2008, 09:26 PM
yeah i need to find something new to occupy my mind and i figured that could do the trick.

algunz
08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd be a happy person if I never had to drive a car. Cars scare the shit out of me - in them and near them.

Pixiessp
08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I have to drive to Costa Mesa this saturday for a show and i am dreading it.
maybe I will take the train or something.

Westy
08-07-2008, 08:10 AM
So I headed over to Aliso Viejo and these are some pix from my ride. It's days like today that make me realize for sure that SoCal is a fucking desert. But I had fun.

Do you ever go on any trails around Laguna Niguel? There's a trail behind our condo which looks over San Juan Capistrano, and Mission Viejo. You can see for miles. It's pretty cool.

marooko
08-07-2008, 08:20 AM
im going for a ride this weekend so's i can post some pics.

chairmenmeow47
08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
i'm a casual rider. i love to ride easy trails, but i don't ever attempt anything that requires a real mountain bike. my friend gordon is a freaking badass. he had almost a dozen bikes at one point. he has a really badass recumbent. he rode it from phoenix to san diego and back for 3 weeks in may/june and just camped on the side of the road. now he rides a mountain bike with a motor attached and that's how he gets to and from work. freaking crazy.

i bought an old schwinn off him that i love. i haven't gotten to ride it since i've bought it as i haven't bought a lock yet. here's me and my bike:

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/588531-2/100_1743.jpg

we generally just go to different parts of the valley and ride the trails. about twice a year though, we try to hit up the bike paths in flagstaff. those are fun. one of my greatest joys about bike riding is stopping somewhere to toke in public. i don't know why, but smoking outdoors is one of my "fuck you's" to the man, lol.

flagstaff:

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/587560-2/100_0724.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=262a281c005f3b8042f7adf 63ac42066

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/587569-2/100_0730.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=262a281c005f3b8042f7adf 63ac42066

lastly, i hope you all wear helmets:

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/589293-2/100_2544_001.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=262a281c005f3b8042f 7adf63ac42066

marooko
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
awesoome schwinn. and that freaking trial looks fake. like it would be a painting or something. id love to ride that and just chill.

chairmenmeow47
08-07-2008, 09:00 AM
awesoome schwinn. and that freaking trial looks fake. like it would be a painting or something. id love to ride that and just chill.

you mean trail? it is awesome. very relaxing :)

i don't know if this will work, but here's some video of me riding at the end of that trail like a dork, lol:

video (http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/v/gallery/ivy/album01/adventures_with_gordon/gordon-and-ivy-invade-flagstaff-2006-REMIX-EDITION/album17/gordon_and_ivy_invade_flagstaff_REMIX_EDITION_148. mov.html)

marooko
08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
yeah, i meant trail. im just extremely tired today.

rskapcat
08-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I have a Trek 820. The husband has a Haro...somethingorother. Yay bikes. :)

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Ivy, that Schwinn is dope! I had one when I was younger, but someone jacked it from my garage. Thing was covered in band stickers and others I gathered riding around the area. I've often thought about buying another one, since it is about a bikeride for me to go to work. I've always wanted to do the Cali bike ride where they ride from below San Diego up to the Eureka area.

marooko
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
I have a Trek 820. The husband has a Haro...somethingorother. Yay bikes. :)

i used to have Haro sport. 20" flatland/freestyle bike. mother was heavy, but pretty nice.

algunz
08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
i'm a casual rider. i love to ride easy trails, but i don't ever attempt anything that requires a real mountain bike.

about twice a year though, we try to hit up the bike paths in flagstaff. those are fun. one of my greatest joys about bike riding is stopping somewhere to toke in public. i don't know why, but smoking outdoors is one of my "fuck you's" to the man, lol.

lastly, i hope you all wear helmets:

http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/589293-2/100_2544_001.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=262a281c005f3b8042f 7adf63ac42066

Too bad you don't like "real" trails because there are some great mountain biking rides in Flagstaff. Also, you should check out the Fat Tire Festival that they hold in Flagstaff. I've never been, but I understand that the Arizona one and the SF one are really fun.

Yes, bikes and tokes are ALWAYS a perfect combination.:thu

And lastly, I wear a helmet while on the trail, but I'll admit I don't wear one when I'm just cruising around town. I probably should, but I don't.

chairmenmeow47
08-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Ivy, that Schwinn is dope! I had one when I was younger, but someone jacked it from my garage. Thing was covered in band stickers and others I gathered riding around the area. I've often thought about buying another one, since it is about a bikeride for me to go to work. I've always wanted to do the Cali bike ride where they ride from below San Diego up to the Eureka area.

thank you! i freaking love the bike!!! i looked up the serial number and it's from the chicago factory and turns out it's from june of 1974. i want to see if i can get some of the paint detail touched up and fix some of the rusting. i want to get white-wall tires for it too; however schwinns have an odd tire size so that will take some digging.

and bike thiefs should go to the depths of hell. though i LOVE that song bike thief by freezepop. so adorable :)

marooko
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
i dont wear a helmet, but im thinking of getting one. smoking while riding totally ruins my ride. i either dont wanna ride anymore, or i just ride my high out which to me feels pointless. overall it sucks cause most of the people i ride with wanna smoke and ride.

algunz
08-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Do you ever go on any trails around Laguna Niguel? There's a trail behind our condo which looks over San Juan Capistrano, and Mission Viejo. You can see for miles. It's pretty cool.

I've kind of been all over the place. The only ride that I can recall in that general area though is the San Juan trail - near that little candy shop off the Ortega Hwy.

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
thank you! i freaking love the bike!!! i looked up the serial number and it's from the chicago factory and turns out it's from june of 1974. i want to see if i can get some of the paint detail touched up and fix some of the rusting. i want to get white-wall tires for it too; however schwinns have an odd tire size so that will take some digging.

and bike thiefs should go to the depths of hell. though i LOVE that song bike thief by freezepop. so adorable :)

The one I restored was a 1979 (not the stolen one) and I had it painted black cherry (emphasis on black with cherry micro-flake--had a friend whose cousin restored Impalas do it) and managed to sell that one for 5 bills. I spent maybe 150 to restore it.

chairmenmeow47
08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Too bad you don't like "real" trails because there are some great mountain biking rides in Flagstaff. Also, you should check out the Fat Tire Festival that they hold in Flagstaff. I've never been, but I understand that the Arizona one and the SF one are really fun.

Yes, bikes and tokes are ALWAYS a perfect combination.:thu

And lastly, I wear a helmet while on the trail, but I'll admit I don't wear one when I'm just cruising around town. I probably should, but I don't.

i think i'm too afraid of getting hurt. i'd love to check out the fat tire festival! and get a helmet!!!!!!

downingthief
08-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I recently "dusted off" my old road bike. Need to get back in some semblance of shape. I used to race in late highschool, and college. I've very proud of my bike, because they no longer make them. Plus, it was never a high end bike. I made some modifications to it, but other than that, it's was pretty basic. I think I paid about $300 for it new. I loved it when I would pass some douche riding a fancy cannondale, or a specialized. It is a Peugeot, from about 1985. :)

algunz
08-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Peugeots are great bikes. My husband is really into road biking. I'm just to scared of the cars and the speed.

We had a friend the other day who was on the road and some lady in Corona del Mar just swung her door open into him. If he'd hit the door head on he'd probably have fared better. Unfortunately the side of the door caught him on the arm sliced open his forearm and threw him from his bike. That sucked. Another friend got hit by a car being driven by an old lady that was in the midst of a stroke. He's lucky to be alive. I got tons of those road horror stories. Seems like once a month a friend meets pavement, thus I like to stick to the dirt or my beach cruiser.

marooko
08-07-2008, 10:12 AM
IVE BEEN HIT AND ALMOST HIT MANY TIMES. oops. sorry. even by parked cars. hahahha. one of the last times i got hit, it was in a parking lot. wish i would have went to the hospital or something cause my hip hurt for several months after. i couldnt walk right for at least 2-3 weeks. stupid 20 yr olds.

chairmenmeow47
08-07-2008, 10:13 AM
one of my most hilarious memories of my ex boyfriend that i used to live with involves the time he got hit by a car on a bike. he had taken my bike to ride down the street for something. when he came back, he sat down, we smoked a bowl, talked, watched tv... and like an hour or two after he got home he just kinda casually says "i got hit by a car on the way home".

WHAT?! you got hit by a CAR and that wasn't the first thing you say as you walk through the door?! it wasn't a big deal, everything was fine of course. but i thought it was hilarious he forgot about it, lol. if i got hit by a car, that would be all i could talk about!!!

thankfully no major bike injuries here *knock on wood*.

Kali27
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
So happy to see other people doing the bike thing... I used to just use it to get around my lil town at the beach but since I moved inland by a lake, I've started discovering the joys of mountain/trail biking...

... and we always bring our pot with us... there's this waterfall which is our smoke break point, where you can park your bike and hike down the rocks... last time we found a couple guys there with guitars smoking so we just listened for a lil while... it was nice...

I'm going for one later this afternoon... I'll have to take pics for ya'll...

marooko
08-07-2008, 10:23 AM
why dont any of you live with 50 fucking miles of me. my friends are fucking lame when it comes to riding.

ex: i have a friend who has a kona with a brand fucking new 500 fox shock. he rode that bitch like 3 times. (the bike is older, the shocks are new). its been sitting in his garage for about a year and he wont sell me those fucking shocks. pisses me the fuck off. would i be a bad friend if i stole it?

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Fuck it, marook. Steal the shocks lol. If he ain't using it, its just wasting space. Put it to good use and leave a note if you have to explaining he's being a lazy m'fer and you'll bring 'em back if he's going to piss all over himself like a jackalope.

marooko
08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
i want to sometimes, man. it pisses me off. i cant quite spend that much on a shock, and he's got one just collecting fucking dust. ass face.

Kali27
08-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Just ask if you can put it to use since its been rusting in cobwebs... sad to let such a good thing go to waste.

downingthief
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Peugeots are great bikes. My husband is really into road biking. I'm just to scared of the cars and the speed.

We had a friend the other day who was on the road and some lady in Corona del Mar just swung her door open into him. If he'd hit the door head on he'd probably have fared better. Unfortunately the side of the door caught him on the arm sliced open his forearm and threw him from his bike. That sucked. Another friend got hit by a car being driven by an old lady that was in the midst of a stroke. He's lucky to be alive. I got tons of those road horror stories. Seems like once a month a friend meets pavement, thus I like to stick to the dirt or my beach cruiser.

I had a near-death experience (or so I think) while on a training ride years ago. I stopped riding cold turkey after that.

I was doing about a 15-20 mile ride that I had done a week prior with a group. It was only the second time doing the ride, so I was not too familiar with the surroundings (Ivy...it was in the PV area, near the north side of Camelback).

I was going down one of the hills at a pretty good clip, enjoying the wind on my face, when I noticed a stop sign peeking out from behind a palo verde tree. I proceeded to pump my brakes as best I could, hoping there would be no car coming the other way ( the other way had no stop sign...something I should have paid attention to the first time I rode that route).

Of course, yes...a car was coming the opposite way. So, at this point, I am saying every prayer that I can think of that the driver will see me. Luckliy, she does, and slams on her breaks. I remember looking down at my spedometer when I passed in front of her...I was going 30 mph. I would have been killed, or at least really, really f'd up.

I kept pumping my breaks until I stopped completley. I then, got off my bike with my legs shaking, and proceeded to puke my guts out.
I walked my bike for a good mile or so, and got back on going VERY slow.
When I got home, I hung my bike up, and didn't touch it for years.

marooko
08-07-2008, 10:39 AM
last year a friend of mine hit a drainage ditch on a trail. i looked at my speedometer, i was doing 29mph. i looked back, and see him flying in the air. i was fuckiing scared as hell for him. luckily he just had minor scrapes and such. very lucky. we were going downhill and it was pretty rocky.

Hopeless Semantic
08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
A very good friend of mine--one who I grew up with since kindergarten--told me a sad story that occured during his lunchtime in Anaheim, CA.

He was eating lunch at a Rally's one day, and was looking out on the traffic where he saw a guy biking with his headphones on. The biker was one of those prick careless types and so my buddy saw this guy come flying into the oncoming path of a OCTA bus. Let's just say my friend never finished his Rallyburger and the biker became hamburger. It was straight Red Asphalt status.

Edit: He then asked me if he was demented for kinda laughing at the guy's tragic misfortune when he drove back to work after his lunchbreak. (probably noting that since I was the darker and more sinister thinking of us two) and I said well, no, Darfuckinwinism provides us with moments where you can't help but laugh. Because if you're going to ride down a busy ass street like Harbor or Beach Blvd--with earphones on and carelessness exuding, you deserve what you get.

Mockingbird73
08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
used to mtn. bike all the time, and would love to get out more often. i have a '98 specialized rockhopper that i upgraded. i love that bike :pulse soo much fun on technical singletrack!

some really great trails up here around pasadena and calabasas...

i would LOVE to be able to ride my bike to work, but that just will not work due to my weird commute

Kali27
08-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I love the fact that I am able to bike to work... or walk depending if I'm in a good book or not...

AJS415
08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Just recently got a commuter bike and started riding to and from the Cal Train and then riding from my stop to work. I think its great, I hate sitting in traffic. I get in about 20 miles a day doing this.

I've been road biking regularly this year and my rides have gotten way up there in distance. I also do a lot of climbing (Nor Cal has hills everywhere), which means a lot of decents. I have close calls it seems like every other weekend. Everyone I know (including myself) who has been riding more than a year has hit the pavement for all the various reasons (cars, parked cars, hitting potholes going downhill, taking turns too fast, etc.).

mountmccabe
08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
When the weather is nice I sometimes bike to work once or twice a week. It currently is less than 2.5 miles so it is barely a wake up ride. And sometimes on weekends I'll bike to my parents or do that and then to my sister's through the mountain preserve. But again, not during the summer!

I also like taking my bike up when we go camping, riding it on the dirt roads/trails up there. I'm not taking it this weekend, though, because I doubt I'd even get the time to ride.

Also I am not much for real mountain trails; I probably should've gotten a hybrid rather than a straight mountain bike.

marooko
08-07-2008, 03:57 PM
When the weather is nice I sometimes bike to work once or twice a week. It currently is less than 2.5 miles so it is barely a wake up ride. And sometimes on weekends I'll bike to my parents or do that and then to my sister's through the mountain preserve. But again, not during the summer!

I also like taking my bike up when we go camping, riding it on the dirt roads/trails up there. I'm not taking it this weekend, though, because I doubt I'd even get the time to ride.

Also I am not much for real mountain trails; I probably should've gotten a hybrid rather than a straight mountain bike.

you can get a lot out of a new stem, handle bars and a raised or lowered seat.

mountmccabe
08-07-2008, 04:26 PM
you can get a lot out of a new stem, handle bars and a raised or lowered seat.

That won't really drop that much weight, will it?

My friend actually has two sets of tires for his mountain bike, the ones that came with it and racing tires. It looks kinda funny with the racing tires on it but it works well if you're going for a ride only on smooth pavement.

marooko
08-07-2008, 05:45 PM
there are a lot of things you can do to cut weight on your bike. the only draw back to that is that the parts are more expensive. if you go to the bike shop and pick up the cheapest handles bars and the most expensive, you'll notice the difference in weight.

Kali27
08-07-2008, 08:13 PM
My afternoon bike ride around Lake Hodges...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture029-1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture030-1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture032-1.jpg
the smoking waterfall...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture038-1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture041-1.jpg

algunz
08-07-2008, 10:41 PM
When I got home, I hung my bike up, and didn't touch it for years.

Oh sweetheart, that's the worst thing you could have done.

I asked my husband (he's a total nerd when it comes to this shit) and he suggests that the best way to lose weight on your bike is in your tires & wheel set and in the components. Unfortunately Maroo's right in that the lighter the stuff the more expensive they are gonna be.

Oh and Kali, that ride above looks like just my speed. Nice hit. :)

marooko
08-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I asked my husband (he's a total nerd when it comes to this shit) and he suggests that the best way to lose weight on your bike is in your tires & wheel set and in the components. Unfortunately Maroo's right in that the lighter the stuff the more expensive they are gonna be.

yeah, i totally left out the rims. absolutely correct.

downingthief
08-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh sweetheart, that's the worst thing you could have done.

Yeah, it probably was. But, at the time...was pretty shaken up about it. I'm just looking forward to getting back in the saddle again. I do really like the bike. I'll have to take a pic, and post it.

chairmenmeow47
08-08-2008, 10:15 AM
i remember when i was in second grade i cracked my head open doing a backflip in gymnastics. i never wanted to go back, but my parents made me. and while i still hesitated a lot, i'm glad they made me go back. i stayed in another 4 years and eventually did a little competing. it's hard to make that choice on your own though.

Pixiessp
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
I had an incident where I swerved to avoid hitting a small kid that decided to just stop suddenly in the middle of a bike path. I hit a bump or small log and flew over my handlebars and in turn landed on a much larger log.
When I came to there were all these people huddled around me asking me if i needed medical assistance. The father of the little kid was yelling at me for almost hitting his unattended child. Anyway,what I'm trying to say is that as soon as I could I got back on my bike(not same bike as that one was toast)and continued riding.

Mr.Nipples
08-08-2008, 10:49 AM
want
http://www.buckscountychoppers.com/images/purplechopper.jpg

marooko
08-08-2008, 11:00 AM
daaaaaaaaaaaamnmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnn. nips busted out the 3 speed for the win!!!! fucking sweet.

BROKENDOLL
08-08-2008, 11:46 AM
After reading this thread last nite, I had dreams of riding with all of you, except in the dream my bike had been stolen. The whole dream was about trying to find the damn thing instead.(Funny, since I've only seen pics of afew of you, but everyone was helping me look.)The first thing I checked this morning was my bike, which was still there...with 2 flat tires! Now I feel bad for wasting your riding time.

algunz
08-08-2008, 02:45 PM
want
http://www.buckscountychoppers.com/images/purplechopper.jpg

Georgeous. I swear there's few things more beautiful than two wheels and some fancy color with chrome.

I don't want this thread to fixate on the scary side of bikes, but Pixies' story above reminded me of when my friend in college was road riding around Central Park in a pack. A woman crossed their path and most were able to dodge out of the way including my friend, but unfortunately his position in the pack gave him only 2 choices. Hit the lady or risk hitting one of those poles that keeps cars from coming through. Unfortunately he chose the latter and he went face first into the pole. His face was split from forehead to chin. He lost five front teeth and stitches that ran the length of his face. Brutal. I gotta admit though, it was really fun trying to make him laugh and watch him to try not to split his stitches. He never looked quite the same again.

I LOVE BIKES!!!!!

marooko
08-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Georgeous. I swear there's few things more beautiful than two wheels and some fancy color with chrome.

I don't want this thread to fixate on the scary side of bikes, but Pixies' story above reminded me of when my friend in college was road riding around Central Park in a pack. A woman crossed their path and most were able to dodge out of the way including my friend, but unfortunately his position in the pack gave him only 2 choices. Hit the lady or risk hitting one of those poles that keeps cars from coming through. Unfortunately he chose the latter and he went face first into the pole. His face was split from forehead to chin. He lost five front teeth and stitches that ran the length of his face. Brutal. I gotta admit though, it was really fun trying to make him laugh and watch him to try not to split his stitches. He never looked quite the same again.

I LOVE BIKES!!!!!

thats kinda mean trying to make him split open again. but funny im sure. haha. and i love the ending.

Wheres the beef?
08-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Good thread algunz. I saw this just before I went for a ride today and decided to bring my camera to share....

http://i33.tinypic.com/21opr12.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2vkylfl.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/167uvdy.jpg

algunz
08-10-2008, 07:59 PM
For some reason, the above pictures made me think about the movie "Breaking Away." Go Cutters!!

(Hey, that'd be a good Halloween costume. Easy and comfy. Hmmmm, Selena might have just gotten ousted.)

algunz
08-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Mammoth
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_0108.jpg

Montana
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_0525.jpg

marooko
08-11-2008, 09:02 AM
anyone ever do the angel island loops? thinking of going this weekend and wanna know what to expect.

BROKENDOLL
08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
My afternoon bike ride around Lake Hodges...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture029-1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture030-1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture032-1.jpg
the smoking waterfall...
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture038-1.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/kali27/Picture041-1.jpg Kali, I love the look on your face as you took that hit at the smoking waterfall. Now, had that been me instead...the next pic after would have been of me attaching the training wheels, or me doing a faceplant on the bikepath. Ha,ha,ha!

algunz
08-11-2008, 12:27 PM
anyone ever do the angel island loops? thinking of going this weekend and wanna know what to expect.

I thought you said you were gonna be goin' on a ride this past weekend. Where are those pix?

Never heard of the Angel Island loops. Where are they?

marooko
08-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I was, but I'm an old man now. I went out wed. night and didn't recover sleep wise till Sunday. I'm riding to work this week and around town, next weekend, for sure!! I think. haha. I'm really gonna try for next weekend though.

Angel Island is just north of SF. its in the bay there.

this is per the website.

Angel Island is the largest Island in San Francisco Bay, located one mile south of the Tiburon Peninsula. Park Headquarters and the main visitor's center are in Ayala Cove on the North side of the Island, accessible by commercial ferries and private boats.

pretty descriptive, eh?

algunz
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM
It's kind of funny because the bay area is the birthplace of mountain biking, and I haven't really heard much about the trails up there.

algunz
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I dropped off my car today at a body shop about 3 miles from my house (got rear ended) and I rode my bike back. I know now why I can't be a road rider. People are just fucking clueless. Not that anything bad happened, but almost turning left into me or just no regard for the bike lane inspires me to keep it on the dirt.

I hate cars!!!

BeHereNOW
08-12-2008, 11:14 PM
hey nice thread!
i'm starting to mountain bike myself... all mexico is full of incredible places to ride... i'm really enjoying it so far, i'll post some pics soon

marooko
08-13-2008, 07:00 AM
I dropped off my car today at a body shop about 3 miles from my house (got rear ended) and I rode my bike back. I know now why I can't be a road rider. People are just fucking clueless. Not that anything bad happened, but almost turning left into me or just no regard for the bike lane inspires me to keep it on the dirt.

I hate cars!!!

i've been city riding for so long im used to it. but i am very thankful that i havent had a serious encounter with cars.

hey nice thread!
i'm starting to mountain bike myself... all mexico is full of incredible places to ride... i'm really enjoying it so far, i'll post some pics soon

please do.

as for me, i gotta get my bike tuned up before this weekend. hopefully the shop isnt booked.

algunz
08-19-2008, 08:26 PM
We and some friends went down to Mt. Laguna in San Diego County this weekend for some fresh pine air and fun trails.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/Mount%20Laguna/IMG_1080.jpg

Izzy was tired of me taking her picture. Can you tell?
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/Mount%20Laguna/IMG_1075.jpg

The trails were such fun. Just miles of single track, winding through meadows and trees. The most technical part of this ride was figuring out the trail map. Perfection.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/Mount%20Laguna/IMG_1092.jpg

The boys went on Sunday to ride Noble Canyon. Now that's a ride that is just too much imo. But this is much more my speed. You can kind of see my girlfriend in the distance just below the tree.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/Mount%20Laguna/IMG_1093.jpg

Relaxing with some Margaritas in Julian. We brought home a Dutch Apple Pie. Yummy!!
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/Mount%20Laguna/IMG_1096.jpg

Geno_g
08-19-2008, 08:48 PM
I rode my bike along some sweet trails in the hills today, rode for 5 and a 1/2 hours, trekked it from Santa Clara to Downtown San Jose, then to Southside San Jose foothills along a trail on a creek, rode in the riverbed, then to Almaden Lake to Los Gatos, to Vasona Park, and then to Campbell, sickest thing was there was a Ringling Bothers Circus Train pulled over and the staff was camping out, drinking, eating, and smoking Hookah. Funniest thing is when we rode by the animal car...

Good ride all in all, love this California weather today...

thewindowliquor
08-19-2008, 08:52 PM
man, i'm not normally one to heap adulation on random little girls... but that kid is fucking cute. you should enter her in a contest, or put her on a laundry detergent bottle or something.

marooko
08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
laundry detergent bottle...hahahah. thats awesome.

cool pics gunz. your daughter is cute.

algunz
08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I know she's beautiful. Thank you.

Sounds like a great ride geno. What a trip to come across a circus. Were you tempted to run away with them forever?

marooko
08-19-2008, 09:23 PM
this is the lake chabot ride. the first hill fucking sucks and i was waaay out of shape.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7082/img0260wf3.jpg

but soon after theres some downhill.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6659/img0263cq6.jpg

and some smog/views.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5564/img0265ff5.jpg

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8936/img0276sa3.jpg

algunz
08-19-2008, 09:24 PM
That lake looks inviting. Did you jump in?

How long is the climb? It looks pretty brutal.

marooko
08-19-2008, 09:36 PM
didnt jump in the lake. should have though. the climp is maybe 1-1.5 miles. something like that. i thought i was gonna die. im gonna due it a few more times before it gets rainy and cold.

algunz
08-19-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm a bit demented. I love those steady climbs, as long as you got a little shade and the treat of a fun downhill to look forward to. Is there any single track on the ride?

marooko
08-20-2008, 02:12 PM
there wasnt much for shade, just a couple feet every several yards. if you're lucky.

im gonna try to get up to the mountains and stuff. better views and single track. nothing major though.

chairmenmeow47
08-20-2008, 03:03 PM
i finally got a lock for my bike!!! woo-hoo! more riding for me! i need to get reflectors and such too so i can ride at night. i'm excited :)

that downhill path looks awesome!!!

algunz
08-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Ivy, you need lights. Reflectors can only do so much. And riding at night with a lovely buzz is a good time, enjoy.

Geno_g
08-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a great ride geno. What a trip to come across a circus. Were you tempted to run away with them forever?

Yeah I did but Radiohead is coming up in two days, I cant miss that, but I just wanted to go on the train to see how their life is, and to see the animal in the train carts...

Geno_g
08-20-2008, 04:41 PM
I need lights too, I have this ok flashing LED for the back but I need a headlight...

algunz
08-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Cat Eye makes a good one and there's another one called Frog or Tadpole or something like that.

Geno_g
08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
That's the one my buddy has, I have a mountain bike and go off jumps, and downhill, and crash hard, I'm just afraid I will break it quick, I guess I can take it off during the day...

algunz
08-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Took a day trip up to Big Bear today. It was a gorgeous afternoon.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1117.jpg

My husband loves these kinds of trails. Me? Not so much.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1119.jpg

This trail is much more my speed.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1123.jpg

I :pulse dirt.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1124.jpg

HowToDisappear
08-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I need lights too, I have this ok flashing LED for the back but I need a headlight...

Need a headlight? NiteRider. The only way to go.

algunz
08-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Funny, my Cat Eye on my cruiser just took a digger and my husband said to get the NiteRider. Besides it's got the coolest name out of all of them.

algunz
08-28-2008, 10:17 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/IMG_0766.jpg

algunz
08-30-2008, 10:44 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/2784686128_1fcc962cc1.jpg

Who thinks that trail looks like fun?

Not me . . .

BROKENDOLL
08-30-2008, 11:04 PM
What trail???

algunz
08-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Exactly.

This is the ride that the boys went on while us women stayed back and took care of the children and cooked meat. That trail just looks like it sucks!!

Geno_g
08-30-2008, 11:52 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/IMG_0766.jpg

That is so sweet, I collect dia de los muertos art, that is cool, I like the skulls the most, I want to get a tattoo of one...

algunz
08-31-2008, 12:04 AM
OH goodness, I should show you some of the shit my dad has. We've been collecting stuff for years, and it's one of the many reasons I love the Halloween season.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/IMG_1156.jpg
This one is above our door to the garage. They are all pregnant, love it.

Geno_g
08-31-2008, 12:14 AM
That's so cool the Alters are cool to, that you make for a relative I saw a funny one with El Borracho written on it and it had a drunk guy stumbling around, I like how the skulls have flowers in the eye's so the kids aren't scarred of them, the skulls look so cool, I'm trying to find the right one to get tattoo on me...

algunz
08-31-2008, 12:47 AM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/Card-25---El-Borracho.jpg

Pixiessp
09-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I went for a very nice bike ride at Sunset. It was magnificent but I forgot my camera so you will just have to take my word for it.

Pixiessp
09-06-2008, 07:31 PM
It's kind of funny because the bay area is the birthplace of mountain biking, and I haven't really heard much about the trails up there.

so it's not Crested Butte,Colorado? when I was up there in the late 80's they claimed that mountain bikes and biking originated there.
I had a hell of a time riding without gasping for air. That some high altitude for mountain biking.

algunz
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Crested Butte may be one of the greatest places to ride, but the real crazies & originators were in Marin County. They were barreling down mountains on beach cruisers.

Geno_g
09-06-2008, 10:20 PM
The Bay Area has a lot of trails, from Sequoia in Santa Cruz, to Marin headlands, angel island, and the east bay, I love Mountain Biking

sames44
09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Anyone ever used a bike trailer for little kiddies? Any recommendations?

HowToDisappear
09-11-2008, 02:20 PM
When our twins were little, we had a Winchester trailer. It folded for storage, but it was heavier, and therefore less costly, than a Burley (which was out of our price range at the time). It got a tremendous amount of use, and the kids absolutely loved it.

If you have kids (plural) and you do a lot of cycling, they are definitely worth the cost. Get a replacement cover at the same time; the original will get quite beaten up and grungy over time. I don't think Winchester exists any more, but Burley and Trek both make good trailers - some will convert to jogging strollers as well.

algunz
09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
The Burleys are great. We use ours all the time, although it does get a bit hot inside during the summers.

1litro
09-23-2008, 11:17 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/16404593/335744709.jpg
all day saterday the dirt is just fun!

1litro
09-23-2008, 11:20 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/16404593/281792840.jpg
Darkwater, is fun too

1litro
09-23-2008, 11:25 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/16404593/281789605.jpg
Always fun in the dark!

Geno_g
09-23-2008, 01:14 PM
nice pictures, long night exposures use to me my favorites, I use to use my shutter speed that was manual where as long as you hold it, the shutter would be open, and take shots of the stars on a tripod and hold the shutter open for hours and develop the film and the stars would be moving in the sky in the pictures

stinkbutt
09-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I seen a guy riding on a unicycle today

marooko
09-23-2008, 01:43 PM
nice pictures, long night exposures use to me my favorites, I use to use my shutter speed that was manual where as long as you hold it, the shutter would be open, and take shots of the stars on a tripod and hold the shutter open for hours and develop the film and the stars would be moving in the sky in the pictures

that sounds awesome!! you should post some!!! stop reading this and start posting them. sheesh.

algunz
09-23-2008, 03:34 PM
1litro, those are great pix. Have you ever had any of them published?

1litro
09-24-2008, 12:46 PM
1litro, those are great pix. Have you ever had any of them published?

IMBA awarded me "best of show" for the Dark water pix.
The best thing about this photo, it is a self portrait. I opened the shutter and as I rode through the frame I remotely triggered the flash

1litro
09-24-2008, 01:30 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/16404593/335892715.jpg
Go fast comutter bike

algunz
09-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Why does Lemond care so much?

Armstrong's dope testing made public during comeback

by Emmanuel Pionnier Sep 25, 4:21 pm EDT

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AFP) - American Lance Armstrong, making a return to professional cycling three years after winning his seventh Tour de France, said on Thursday his doping test results would be open to the public.

The Texan, who won the Grand Boucle from 1999 to 2005, was speaking during a press conference at a cycling exhibition in Las Vegas.

Meanwhile fellow American Greg Lemond, who won the Tour de France in 1986, 1989 and 1990, said Armstrong's return was not good for the sport.

"His return is not good news," Lemond told AFP in Las Vegas. "It's like a nightmare, that we have lived through all these years, returning."

Armstrong said he would be working with Don Catlin, the founder of the new Anti-Doping Research Institute in Los Angeles, in an attempt to be completely open about his tests.

He retired from professional racing the night he won his last Tour de France, but announced his return to the international cycling scene on September 9 this year.

While Armstrong was answering questions at the press conference, Lemond was almost stealing the show as he attempted to ask questions. However Lemond was continually cut off and talked over by Armstrong when he tried to speak.

Lemond also twice asked a question to Catlin, who was sitting next to Armstrong, but received no reply.

On Wednesday, Armstrong confirmed he would be returning to the sport, aged 37, saying he would be riding for the Astana team, run by his old sporting director Johan Bruyneel.

Armstrong, in an attempt to lessen doubts that his seven Tour victories were won without doping, said: "I want to have a level of transparence and I don't want to leave any hint of doubt. I will do what I am asked to do. It is his (Catlin's) work. He will do whatever he wants (concerning testing).

Catlin himself said: "Everything will be made public and everyone will be able to see the evolution of the results and see if there have been changes.

"What will happen? His samples will also be frozen for analysis in several years time if need be."

Armstrong has been accused of doping practices on several occasions, most notably in an article in French sports newspaper L'Equipe in 2005, claiming six urine samples from his 1999 Tour victory contained blood-boosting drug EPO.

The rider himself has always denied doping and the sport's world governing body, the UCI, cleared him in 2006.

On his racing schedule, Armstrong had said earlier: "I said (on Wednesday) I was going to participate in the Tour Down Under (in Australia at the end of January) and the Tour de France (in July). I can now add that after the race in Australia, I'll get back into training and then race in the Tour of California."

Armstrong, who was treated for testicular cancer in 1996, has continually claimed his comeback, which will be for at least one year, was to raise awareness of cancer through his "Livestrong" cancer prevention campaign.

"I have no contract, no wages and no bonuses," Armstrong said. "Everything is being done as a type of donation. It will be for at least a year but it could be longer. It depends on how the campaign (cancer awareness) goes."

Armstrong, who rode in a cyclo-cross event on Wednesday night, said his reasons to make his comeback with Astana was because of loyalty to Bruyneel, who helped him to his seven Tour wins.

"To have my own team (Livestrong) would have been too complicated," Armstrong added. "And I wanted to be loyal to Johan (Bruyneel). I would only have made a comeback with him."

shakermaker113
10-10-2008, 09:32 AM
my bike died this morning. :-(

RIP black nishiki.

algunz
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Bikes are like a phoenix. They can always rise up from the ashes.

Unless it was hit by something.

marooko
10-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Bikes are like a phoenix. They can always rise up from the ashes.

QFT.

shakermaker113
10-10-2008, 11:46 AM

...or it hit something (truck). at far too high of a speed. front wheel/fork/frontmost part of the frame are fucked.

marooko
10-10-2008, 12:06 PM
how are you? you ok?

shakermaker113
10-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I seem to be. I flipped over the front and landed nicely in the back of the truck. a few bruises, a slight concussion. pretty lucky really...

marooko
10-10-2008, 12:35 PM
sure as hell are lucky if your bike is not fixable. glad you're ok overall. bike spills can be dangerous as hell.

algunz
10-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Did you hit a parked car? WTF?

shakermaker113
10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
a bus was stopped in the bike lane. I went around it, so I was in the middle of the traffic lane. the truck in front of me stopped suddenly to avoid hitting the car in front of it, which had tried to take a right turn in front of the idling bus. I was moving far too quickly (which you have to to get through the lights in this town), downhill, and couldn't stop in time. kablam and I'm lying in the back of the truck.

some dude yelled that he got it on video. I'm waiting for it to show up on youtube.

here, in my boredom I drew it out:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/shakermaker113/crash2.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/shakermaker113/crash-1.jpg

algunz
11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
I LOVE your graphics, Shaker.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/n1652510084_81160_5775.jpg

Pixiessp
11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
is that you and your hubby and Izzy in the back?

CalmerThanYou
11-25-2008, 08:09 PM

HAHA! How in the fuck did i miss this? story + pictures = amazing!

+10

glad yer OK

shakermaker113
11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
lol thanks. it will now look like I ripped off real talk's idea, even though it preceded real talk's thread. anyway.

algunz, is your daughter learning to ride yet?

algunz
11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
is that you and your hubby and Izzy in the back?

It's my husband with a friend and her daughter, Lily.

algunz
11-25-2008, 08:21 PM
algunz, is your daughter learning to ride yet?

She's learned to love bicycles and their intricacies. She "works" on her trike all the time while daddy tools around with his, but she's not quite graduated to the bike as far as riding. That was a long-winded way of saying, not quite.

algunz
11-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Jealous. Will you be getting snow?

What trails besides slickrock are you gonna be going on?

Pixiessp
11-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Good god, I love Moab. haven't been there in years. have fun!!

algunz
11-25-2008, 08:41 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/DSC05472.jpg

McAwesome
11-25-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm thinking about asking for a bike for Christmas for when (if?) I move to Chico next year. Being that I haven't owned a bike since jr high, can you guys please give me some bike buying advice!

shakermaker113
11-26-2008, 07:01 AM
I'm thinking about asking for a bike for Christmas for when (if?) I move to Chico next year. Being that I haven't owned a bike since jr high, can you guys please give me some bike buying advice!

you want a bike for riding around Chico or for going on bike trails? I know nothing about mountain biking. Alugnz can fill you in there. :-) for city biking, I was in a similar position earlier this year. it had been 11 odd years since I had a bike. I ended up with a used hybrid, which was perfect. (hybrid combines features of a street bike and a mountain bike). I miss that bike. :-(

I don't know much about specific models though, maybe someone else can offer more useful info.

now I have my dad's old street bike which I need to clean up and get new tires for. soon I'll be back on wheels!

marooko
11-26-2008, 07:10 AM
a bus was stopped in the bike lane. I went around it, so I was in the middle of the traffic lane. the truck in front of me stopped suddenly to avoid hitting the car in front of it, which had tried to take a right turn in front of the idling bus. I was moving far too quickly (which you have to to get through the lights in this town), downhill, and couldn't stop in time. kablam and I'm lying in the back of the truck.

some dude yelled that he got it on video. I'm waiting for it to show up on youtube.

here, in my boredom I drew it out:

how the hell did i miss this? this is freaking awesome. glad you're ok though.

McAwesome
11-27-2008, 05:48 PM
you want a bike for riding around Chico or for going on bike trails?

I just need it for getting around town, when I visited, I noticed a lot of people were riding bikes, and I really wouldn't mind using a bike instead of my jeep.

My advice, start now. Borrow a bike, from me if you need it, and try it out. You definitely need some commitment at first, but after a while you'll just find it to be a hobby.
Some of my favorite california trails are little hidden ones right in Southern California. You live in Upland still? MY honest to god favorite ride, although its occasionally packed, is Marshall Canyon up in La Verne. Its a treasure so well hidden. Not necessarily a novice course, but it will teach you how to take a fall.

I'm doing some clinical research with some folks down at Claremont Colleges, so I'm in the area. But not for long, my thesis was approved and I'll be gone before Christmas, back up to Washington for good.
And of course though, I am gone this week, but I would be more than willing to take you out on a ride.

That would be really cool, except I really haven't been on a bike in a good 9 years :-/ I'd probably make a total fool of myself...

So should I be looking into getting a "hybrid" bike or a ...?

shakermaker113
11-27-2008, 08:59 PM
I just need it for getting around town, when I visited, I noticed a lot of people were riding bikes, and I really wouldn't mind using a bike instead of my jeep.

That would be really cool, except I really haven't been on a bike in a good 9 years :-/ I'd probably make a total fool of myself...

So should I be looking into getting a "hybrid" bike or a ...?

it was a good place to start for me, but I'm not sure it has any distinct advantage. I hadn't ridden in over 11 years either, I wouldn't worry about it. I think the best way to figure out what you want is to get something used off craigslist and ride it around for a few months. you'll learn what you like and dislike about it quickly. then if you want a new bike you'll have an idea of what to look for.

look at me, talking like an expert.

McAwesome
11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
it was a good place to start for me, but I'm not sure it has any distinct advantage. I hadn't ridden in over 11 years either, I wouldn't worry about it. I think the best way to figure out what you want is to get something used off craigslist and ride it around for a few months. you'll learn what you like and dislike about it quickly. then if you want a new bike you'll have an idea of what to look for.

look at me, talking like an expert.

I looked up bikes on Craigslist and it was almost overwhelming because there are so many kinds!

shakermaker113
11-27-2008, 11:03 PM
haha yeah there are tons. filter it down by size first. a bike that is too big or too small is worse than no bike at all. then pick a price range you're comfortable with and look at ads for bikes near you that you could actually go see.

feather
11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Shaker I got hit by a car too...they never stop behind the white line! The guy offered to buy me a new bike but I declined. Just walked my busted self back home and I had this awesome scar that looked like a tiger clawed me, but now it is gone :(

algunz
11-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Cars are coffins.

McA, sounds like you just need a basic bike, nothing fancy. Shaker's advice was good stuff - comfort and price.

McAwesome
11-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys!

algunz
12-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Which trails did you go on?

algunz
01-11-2009, 09:17 AM
We weren't biking, but it is a trail we've all ridden many times. We decided to hike to the top of Trabuco to visit the christmas tree and put an ornament on the tree in honor of my husband's 40th birthday. What an awesome day.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/IMG_1393.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/IMG_1395.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/IMG_1399.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/IMG_1403.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/IMG_1404.jpg

gaypalmsprings
01-11-2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.tonyskansascity.com/tonyskansascity/bikecrashagainsm.jpg

algunz
01-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Hahaha, is that them just waiting on the starting line? They don't look like they've even moved.

gaypalmsprings
01-11-2009, 09:52 AM
http://programmershouse.ifrance.com/FUN/BIKE.JPG

Geno_g
01-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Went on a 4 hour bike ride up into the Cupertino Foothills, bombed a couple hills...
This was the spot to come park your car and blaze in High School, so my buddy and I blazed a blunt there in memory
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/Genone_gdp/1231901250.jpg
It's called Chill Hill
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/Genone_gdp/1231901282.jpg
Here's a hill that we bombed it was a climb but you go down hill for 5 min straight
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/Genone_gdp/1231901306.jpg
My friend climbing the hill, it leads to some single track mountain biking trails...
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/Genone_gdp/1231901336.jpg
Fuck Traffic ride a bike
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/Genone_gdp/1231901636.jpg

algunz
01-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Fuck Traffic ride a bike

Amen. Chill Hill looks like a good place to take it all in . . . and hold it. :)

algunz
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
We went for a long cruise on Saturday - a lazy loop around Back Bay, a relaxing ride across on the ferry, and a quick lunch at the Stuffed Surfer. It was a gorgeous southern California January day.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/beach/015_15-1.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/beach/009_9.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/beach/011_11.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/beach/001_1.jpg
I wasn't actually riding a bike though.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/beach/018_18-1.jpg

CalmerThanYou
01-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Did you jog all that or rollerblade?

algunz
01-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Rollerblade. The hill coming back up from Balboa Island on Jamboree to PCH was grueling.

hendrixfan143
01-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Get Around town bike/lots of toilet paper
and i have a mountain for our of town
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3384/3241378559_707812aeb2_b.jpg

1litro
02-04-2009, 08:48 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com:80/VOL844/8886649/16404593/353678962.jpg

Nobel canyon in S.D. single speed, full ridged, loads of fun but brutal

Sokkerkid101
02-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Fixter Hipster!

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/20/l_2673a5390edf4118ae5abd5e33a52a23.jpg
It has since got a facelift, new pedals, toe clips, seatpost....

marooko
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM
fuck you and your single speed. i hope you hit a truck. props for having a bike though.

HowToDisappear
02-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Is anyone following coverage of the Tour of California?

They just crossed the Golden Gate. Only the fifth time in it's history it's been closed to traffic; first time for a bike race.

I feel sorry for the riders. They've had atrocious weather thus far and I think this storm may follow them all the way down the state.

My husband 1 litro and I will be somewhere on the route - must likely on Palomar for the climbing portion - on the last stage in SD. Is anyone else planning to see (or has seen) a stage in person?

frankl
02-18-2009, 02:25 AM
I've been watching the coverage on Versus. It's also Lance Armstrong's first race in the U.S. since his un-retirement. People in LA can see the finish of stage 7 (http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/Route/stages/stage7.html) in Pasadena (Rose Bowl) next Saturday.

I saw about a minutes worth of the first one in 2006. Here's a video (http://frankl.buzznet.com/user/video/3913281/bike-race/).

marooko
02-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Is anyone following coverage of the Tour of California?

They just crossed the Golden Gate. Only the fifth time in it's history it's been closed to traffic; first time for a bike race.

I feel sorry for the riders. They've had atrocious weather thus far and I think this storm may follow them all the way down the state.

My husband 1 litro and I will be somewhere on the route - must likely on Palomar for the climbing portion - on the last stage in SD. Is anyone else planning to see (or has seen) a stage in person?

holy smokes. i thought you were a guy. well, i assumed.

they passed through our town last night.

HowToDisappear
02-18-2009, 09:19 AM
holy smokes. i thought you were a guy. well, i assumed.

<--------- see avatar

I saw about a minutes worth of the first one in 2006. Here's a video (http://frankl.buzznet.com/user/video/3913281/bike-race/).

We're going to position ourselves on a climb so that they will be passing by relatively slowly. I want to get a good look at them and my hubby wants to take pics. They still do 15-20+(!) uphill. I'm excited to be able to see all these cycling champions in person and to cheer them on. It's gonna be fun.

Plus I :pulse Ivan Basso:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races07/toc07/toca07st02-basso450.jpg
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41127000/jpg/_41127172_basso_eyeslance_300.jpg
http://www.bicyclesofojai.com/site2/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/basso02.jpg

justinaqui
02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Any of you guys ride rollers? I'm too much of a wimp to be outside in the cold, but I'm getting fat. Seems like the price range is pretty big, any suggestions?

marooko
02-18-2009, 01:11 PM
rollers? like a bike trainer?

i got one for my lady for 120 bucks. i think its a Giant brand.

justinaqui
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
rollers? like a bike trainer?

i got one for my lady for 120 bucks. i think its a Giant brand.

Kind of, but you have to do the balancing on your own. They don't hold the fork. There are a couple cylinders that your wheels sit on. It's like riding a bike on the top of a treadmill. Is that what you mean? Does your lady like them? How much effort do you have to pedal to make them turn?
gm67PDdyxWg

marooko
02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
i see what you mean. i got her one of these, it hold only the back end.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/892/giantyt0.jpg

atom heart
02-18-2009, 06:35 PM
What is Lance up to these days? Is he seriously un-retired? I suppose these athletic types get real bored without other people to beat.

Geno_g
02-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I hate fixed gear bikes, it's funny seeing people in SF riding fixies, when they go down hill there legs are pedaling so fast, can't spot pedaling...

I would like to try to ride a fixie backwards...

justinaqui
02-19-2009, 05:37 AM
I hate fixed gear bikes, it's funny seeing people in SF riding fixies, when they go down hill there legs are pedaling so fast, can't spot pedaling...

I would like to try to ride a fixie backwards...

I ride one, but I got it before I realized it was such a fad. Everything I read about them is annoying. All the messenger people hate everyone else because they're copying the style. Who cares, take the compliment: people like your style. And all the dickheads who say it's lame to have brakes. Brakes are for stopping, chain is for moving. I read Sheldon's article about them and it made sense, so I bought one and I love riding it. Will I spend a trillion dollars to add fancy bright green wheels from Japan with a matching chain, tape and toe straps? No.

shakermaker113
02-19-2009, 08:16 AM
do you have a link to this "sheldon's article"? I have been wanting someone to explain those things to me.

justinaqui
02-19-2009, 08:53 AM
All the fixed articles are here,
http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html
The specific one I referenced is here, http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

atom heart
02-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Fixed gear bikes freak me out. I do however have a single-speed. I got really good at climbing hills with that thing. I could beat most Saturday riders uphill except for a guy in a Wheaties jersey. Figures.

When our twins were little, we had a Winchester trailer. It folded for storage, but it was heavier, and therefore less costly, than a Burley (which was out of our price range at the time). It got a tremendous amount of use, and the kids absolutely loved it.

Always check your hitch! Look out for crosswinds!
Jacknifing is fun when you're in the trailer, I suspect not so much when you're pulling it.

algunz
02-22-2009, 09:50 AM
OMG, the fixie fad is killing me. I understand their function for the messengers because of low maintenance and cost, but when a fad reaches junior high you know it's past it's prime. My students are all about their fixies. It's driving me crazy, and they are scary. I see these kids riding to and from school and they're completely out of control. They are trying to be "rad" by weaving in and out of cars, but it's pretty obvious that if they got in a real bind they'd be in serious trouble. And the bikes are all either too big or too small for them. It's crazy don't people get sized for their frames? What idiot is selling these kids their bikes?!!?

Anywho, I've been DVRing the tour and we'll probably watch some of it today. I'd love to see some of the race in person, otherwise watching a bike race can be pretty boring. Almost as boring as riding one of those rollers or bike trainers. :thu

Pixiessp
02-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Where are they now, Algunz?

algunz
02-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Today is the last stage, they have a 96.8-mile stretch from Rancho Bernardo to Escondido. It's got quite a hill in it. Today will actually be pretty fun to watch, live or on TV.

HowToDisappear
02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Here are some pics (actually lots) of the Palomar KOM portion of yesterday's final stage in SD. All photos courtesy of 1litro, husband and photographer extraordinaire (except for the pic I took of him at the KOM line):

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881385.jpg
Daybreak at the summit of Palomar Mountain with all of us die hards who spent the night - or nights - at the side of the road to ensure good viewing.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881387.jpg
My brother-in-law, my husband and I, tolerably comfy in the back of the Volvo. We all survived with about 4-5 hours of sleep.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355891373.jpg
:pulse1litro:pulse at the King of the Mountain line. He helped paint it...well... he held down the duct tape for the staff guy. And he was damn proud of it.:)

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355891390.jpg
My contribution to the road art.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881376.jpg
Jens Voigt crosses first.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881524.jpg
All of the breakaway - you can see Levi in second right after Jens.

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881526.jpg
Lance in the peloton.

The following are random, unidentified riders in the peloton. Probably the most surprising aspect of the race was how astonishingly fast the riders pass by, despite the fact they are traveling uphill, 11 miles up a 7% grade, halfway through a 96 mile race. It was literally impossible to recognize favorite riders, or pick out numbers on their jerseys, because they rode by, were swallowed by the crowd, and around the corner in an instant. After the breakaway, it was immediately apparent that we shouldn't even try, we just lost ourselves in the general hysteria - ringing cowbells, shooting pics, waving our arms, madly screaming out encouragement at the top of our lungs:

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881537.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881548.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881566.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881559.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881552.jpg

And let's not forget some of the other costumed crazies --- pre-race:
http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881521.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881585.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881594.jpg

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673/3013968/6926898/355881604.jpg

All in all, it was ridiculously fun. Minus the time and energy spent, it was free, and we got to experience a race with the finest cyclists in the world passing inches by our faces.

Five star activity. Would recommend. :thu

obzen
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
some crazy homeless guy tried to pet some baby mountain lions. Momma wasn't too keen on that and slashed him

:lool

atom heart
02-23-2009, 04:51 PM
HAHAH oh man, excellent. Nice you got a shot of Lance.

Is all of that road writing in spray chalk or something? Were you rooting for Levi?

HowToDisappear
02-23-2009, 05:08 PM
The Lance shot was accidental. I found him in a larger image of a blurry Quick-Step guy. Lance was in focus. Very serendipitous.

It was spray chalk. No paint allowed.The line guy gave it to us after he was done. Two cops cars passed through and accused us of using paint. And Papa was like, no it's chalk, honest!

And of course we were rooting for Levi. This win makes number three. Yay Levi!

algunz
02-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Awesome pictures. It looks like a lot of fun. Being there in person must have been great times.

We couldn't be there, so we decided to hit the dirt ourselves before the rain came again. This is our ride. I bought it for us on our third year anniversary. We've been together 6 years hence. Apparently riding a tandem says a lot about the future of one's relationship. :)
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1263.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1264.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/IMG_1266.jpg

atom heart
02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I'd believe it.

marooko
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
ive never seen a tandem with front and rear suspension. you guys take that on single track? imagine smashing down a hill on that things. haha. id be scared as hell.

happypappy420
02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
did anyone else notice the flask on the tandem? That is awesome.

Also, that it says "witness" for the rear rider?

marooko
02-24-2009, 12:57 PM
gunz, you dont need to flaunt your awesome like that.

where in the fuck does one find a flask holder for a bike?! thats fucking bad ass. good eye happyhappy.

happypappy420
02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
i have a good eye for the booze! actually i worked in the bike industry for over 10 years so that stood out to me. That is a very nice tandem. I could never ride on the back-i need to be in control at all times.

1litro
02-24-2009, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=happypappy420;1047710]i have a good eye for the booze! actually i worked in the bike industry for over 10 years so that stood out to me. That is a very nice tandem. I could never ride on the back-i need to be in control at all times.[/QUOTE)
Stoker's rule, they have the power

algunz
02-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Stokers rule, but I don't know if I'd say I have any power. I'm at Jim's mercy as far as where and how we go. The only control I have is a little lean to the left or right. It's an Ellsworth Witness and it is the most fun I have ever had on a bike. I like mountain biking, but my skill doesn't take me very far. When I'm on the back of that, I find myself reaching speeds and clearing stuff that I would never have done on my own. It helps to have a pilot who knows exactly what he's doing, and a stoker that has complete confidence in the pilot's skill.

The flask isn't utilized on every ride, but when it is it's usually filled with tequila. MMMMmmm!!!

marooko
02-26-2009, 07:38 AM
YUK!!! but our fight friends always get me to partake. fuckers.

algunz
02-26-2009, 07:43 AM
You're not a very good Hispanic if you don't like tequila.

marooko
02-26-2009, 07:47 AM
You're a little mixed up cuz, we drink Rum where my people come from. But I don't do either really, I'm in to the whiskey.

algunz
02-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Tequila's good for everyone, cuz.

marooko
02-26-2009, 08:04 AM
i need a couple beers before i partake.

1litro
03-02-2009, 10:27 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/16404593/356737054.jpg
another ride with Ben on the mesa of San Diego

algunz
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
litro, your pictures always make me so comfortable and happy.

Thank you.

1litro
03-05-2009, 06:05 AM
litro, your pictures always make me so comfortable and happy.

Thank you.

your welcome,

1litro
03-05-2009, 08:18 PM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/16404593/357155292.jpg
this image was taken at rocky hill 24 hour race in texas

algunz
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
We spent Sunday supporting friends who rode the Vision Quest/Counting Coup race. It was fun. We provided them Goo and water etc, while we ate powdered donuts and drank Real McCoy Amber Ale at 6 am. Good times. :thu

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/vq-williams.jpg
No, he is not a terrorist.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/vq-sanjay.jpg

56.5+- miles, 11,000 +- ft. of elevation gain

1. Blackstar Canyon Road to the top of and down the Silverado (Trail) Motorway to Aid Station #1 – dirt fire road with many steep climbs until you go down the Silverado (Trail) Motorway, which is technical single track.
2. Aid Station #1 to Santiago Peak – uphill climbing on pavement with stream crossings, then dirt fire road.
3. Santiago Peak to the Holy Jim Trail – steep, technical downhill dirt fire road.
4. Holy Jim Trail to Aid Station #2 – downhill, technical single track with stream crossings.
5. Holy Jim Trail to base of the West Horse Thief Trail – dirt road then technical single track with stream crossings.
6. West Horse Thief Trail to the junction at the Main Divide Road – steep hike-a-bike.
7. The top of West Horse Thief Trail to the top of Trabuco Canyon Trail – dirt fire road.
8. Trabuco Canyon Trail to Trabuco Creek Trail and Trabuco Creek Road – downhill, technical, steep, single track with stream crossings.
9. Trabuco Creek Road to finish line at the intersection of Trabuco Canyon Road: 4 mostly flat miles on a dirt road.

marooko
03-10-2009, 06:57 AM
hes training.

sweet pics.

1litro
03-10-2009, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=algunz;1074211]We spent Sunday supporting friends who rode the Vision Quest/Counting Coup race. It was fun. We provided them Goo and water etc, while we ate powdered donuts and drank Real McCoy Amber Ale at 6 am. Good times. :thu

Nice paring of donuts and beer

marooko
03-10-2009, 07:34 AM
litro, just saw that panoramic pic on the previous page. looks amazing.

marooko
03-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I went for a ride today. I had to go to the bank, then to the auto body shop.

i really don't enjoy locking up my bike. no, it wasn't stolen. it's in my book bag so that it doesn't get stolen.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3251/img1530.jpg

just recently got this.
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7607/img1532g.jpg

downtown. this place is poppin!!
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/352/img1535y.jpg

look mom, no hands!!
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7040/img1536l.jpg

simple point & shoot, nothing special. im looking through this thing....
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4984/img1543s.jpg
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9837/img1546r.jpg

then i notice im being watched. forgot to mention: the lyrics from Fela Kuti's "Zombie" started up right as I was taking the shot.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9956/img1549i.jpg

one of my destinations. it was not the end though.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4466/img1552l.jpg

this use to be railroad tracks. they're turning it in to a bike trail. i dig.
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7721/img1562g.jpg

without.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3722/img1559s.jpg
with.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1049/img1560c.jpg

there was some construction going on and i was gonna snap a shot. while reaching for my camera, my headphones fell off. there goes $30.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/451/img1563y.jpg

couldnt set it up any better, he was starting to fly away.
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6582/img1568r.jpg

couple more of these. they always look nice.
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8501/img1570.jpg

just about the last leg of the trail.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2074/img1572g.jpg

not sure when this happened. it was kinda windy yesterday, didnt think it was this bad.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3600/img1580g.jpg

back at work now.....haha.

McAwesome
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
How much do ya'alls think it'll cost to get new tires and what not for my old bike that I just found out in our shed? it doesn't have any rust; just hasn't been ridden in a good five years

marooko
03-10-2009, 02:32 PM
what kind of bike, what kind of riding is intended? roughly 20-100 bucks. crappy low end, to mid, to higher end. even more if you like. (tires)

McAwesome
03-10-2009, 02:57 PM
It's a Huffy I got at a yard sale in jr high; but it's really kinda like brand new, except for the sitting in the garage & shed for many years part. I just want to hit up some local trails and maybe do some biking around town. Probably made around 96-97ish?

marooko
03-10-2009, 03:01 PM
bargain shopping for just cruising, you should b able to get tires, brake pads and chain grease for less than 50 bucks. definitely less than 100. unless the cables and such were already damaged, they should be fine.

Geno_g
03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I went for a ride to get the nectar of gods, La Victoria in San Jose, good 10 mile ride in less than 30 mins and got a burrito for after...
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/Genone_gdp/Photo19.jpg
one of the best burritos you will have...

shakermaker113
03-10-2009, 10:41 PM
I went for a ride to get the nectar of gods, La Victoria in San Jose, good 10 mile ride in less than 30 mins and got a burrito for after...

best sauce you will have. mediocre burrito.

Wheres the beef?
03-10-2009, 10:54 PM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/Genone_gdp/Photo19.jpg

La Vic is so overrated. Have you ever tried El Grullense (spellings wrong)?

marooko
03-11-2009, 08:05 AM
damn, yah just bombed on his burrito.

1litro
03-12-2009, 11:12 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/21692566/357921521.jpg

1litro
03-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Out again, here at our local canyon next to hwy 52.
And below, I was here fifteen years ago; to witness this international roll down the hill thatís behind me. The occupants were ok and ran away only to leave the truck to scavengers, which in short order removed all the valuables

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/16404593/358014979.jpg

marooko
03-13-2009, 09:16 AM
hahaha. totally didnt even realize it was you. thats super funny.

HowToDisappear
03-13-2009, 09:42 AM
It really is funny.

I'm having fun deleting things.

1litro
03-18-2009, 07:21 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/21692566/358584227.jpg

1litro
03-20-2009, 09:47 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/21692566/358823014.jpg
I think somebody forgot his/her wheel

PrettyRagdoll
03-20-2009, 09:50 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL844/8886649/21692566/358823014.jpg
I think somebody forgot his/her wheel

That's why I never lock my bike by the wheel only. That SUCKS.

marooko
03-20-2009, 09:57 AM
why didnt they just break that spoke and ride away?

feather
03-20-2009, 10:00 AM
My bikeride was great this morning, and it helped to rid my hangover. I always see the craziest things on the beach trail, I really need to start writing them down. Today was a homeless/toothless man doing head tumbles on the cement. He made me smile.

allyjoy
03-20-2009, 10:11 AM
why didnt they just break that spoke and ride away?

that reeks of effort

marooko
03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
carrying that shit is effort. riding away, a breeze. . .

algunz
03-28-2009, 10:01 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/IMG_1419.jpg

I know . . . I'm an idiot.

Geno_g
03-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Nice, I have those from time to time, today my homie and I rode up to Lexington, almost to Santa Cruz, my friend brought his bong with us and we blazed up in the hills...
This is my homie hitting his bong...
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/Genone_gdp/1238454085.jpg
40 mile bike ride...

algunz
03-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Beautiful. I think you might have just inspired me.

algunz
04-26-2009, 10:18 PM
This was our ride to breakfast yesterday morning.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/random/DSCN0142.jpg

1litro
05-03-2009, 08:22 AM
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/1litro/E_D_F_8366.jpg
me and my little brother give to the man, the tanks in the background feed all of San Diego with gasoline.

feather
05-03-2009, 11:01 AM
My bike was stolen on Friday, locked up in front of my store in broad daylight. I asked the cafe next door if they saw anything happen, and apparently the chef saw the whole thing go down...these two guys snapped my lock and up and went with my bike :( I was balling my eyes out at work...it was a special gift from my favorite customer Ron the Barber, and he gave it to me to replace the OTHER bike that was stolen last summer. My bike was the only way I got around. *tear* time to search for a new one.

Sleepingrock
05-03-2009, 01:00 PM
My bike was stolen on Friday, locked up in front of my store in broad daylight. I asked the cafe next door if they saw anything happen, and apparently the chef saw the whole thing go down...these two guys snapped my lock and up and went with my bike :( I was balling my eyes out at work...it was a special gift from my favorite customer Ron the Barber, and he gave it to me to replace the OTHER bike that was stolen last summer. My bike was the only way I got around. *tear* time to search for a new one.

That Chef shoulda tried to do something D=

Poor Feather D=

Sleepingrock
05-03-2009, 01:00 PM
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/1litro/E_D_F_8366.jpg
me and my little brother give to the man, the tanks in the background feed all of San Diego with gasoline.

Thats awesome =D

algunz
05-07-2009, 11:27 PM
My bike was stolen on Friday, locked up in front of my store in broad daylight.

Sounds like somebody needs a better lock.

FYI, if anybody is in the OC area and interested in a grueling yet fun ride in the Santiago Oaks, we'll be having a Bikes and Beers in the next couple of weeks. All are welcome. Just a quick trip up the 3 Bitches and then too many beers at the local brewery.

I'll post the date once it's announced, but PM me if you want specific information.

bmack86
05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I've been biking to the beach every day. It's a blast. The river doesn't smell as bad as normal and the flowers are blooming, so there's a nice view the whole way down, and I've been going as the tide comes in and the winds pick up, so there have been some awesome waves as I'm riding down the shore. Good way to get exercise.

algunz
05-07-2009, 11:37 PM
If only everybody would discover the glory of the bike, we could have such a perfect world.

jonnypark
05-07-2009, 11:46 PM

My bike was stolen from my work last week as well. The lock was cut and everything. I spent half an hour looking by the near by train station and found it sure enough only to have it stolen the next day when I rode to work again this time without a lock. (I was kind of asking for that)
Fourtunatly it wasn't my nicer summer bike, which is just a couple of new tires and a new lock away from coming back out.

jonnypark
05-07-2009, 11:47 PM
If only everybody would discover the glory of the bike, we could have such a perfect world.

This is so very true.

algunz
05-07-2009, 11:49 PM
WTF were you thinking parking a bike without a lock? You silly, silly boy.

marooko
05-08-2009, 07:32 AM

sorry to hear this, Feather. you should buy something from that chef and then throw it at him. thats fucking rude. best of luck getting it back, or getting a new one.

Geno_g
05-08-2009, 08:36 AM

That is terrible, sorry to hear that, if I had an extra bike I would give it to you...

I haven't ridden my bike in a while, I'm gonna go out and ride today, maybe eat a couple mushies and see how it goes...

1litro
05-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I am still trying to loose wait.
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/1litro/EJ_I8453.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/1litro/DE_8449.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/1litro/LB_8460.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt144/1litro/BR_8467.jpg
our saterday ride for this week.

algunz
05-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Where is that building? It's quite interesting.

THE PATH BIKE SHOP (Tustin) had our Bikes and Beers and I would have publicized times and such for the locals that might have been interested, but they kept info on the serious DL. We didn't even know it was happening for sure until the night before. This apparently was an attempt at avoiding the park rangers and cops from harassing us as 100+ riders took over the streets and trails.

We (the family and friends) didn't go crazy this year because we brought the kids on the ride, so we cut out before they headed up the 3 bitches. The rest of the crew on the other hand had quite an adventure. It was good times for all.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/DSCN0515.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/DSCN0516.jpg

Caught recuperating:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/DSCN0502.jpg

Fuck, I love bikes. :)

Geno_g
05-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Growlers are great, I have a brewery across the street from my work, after work I get mine refilled, I need to get on my bike, it's screaming my name...

algunz
05-19-2009, 10:34 PM
I love growlers too, but you gotta commit to drinking the whole thing in one sit down imo. Beer is not so great flat and old, but it's always better shared anyway. :)

My husband's pride and joy was injured quite a few years back. She is a titanium GT Zizang (sp?) and it has finally been given a second life. It's frame cracked and Jim had to give in to the fact that it's mountain life was over. Luckily with the great and talented friends we have, we were able to weld it, add a few awesome accessories, and give it a life as a street cruiser.

It's not quite done. He needs a new seat and eventually we will be putting one of those flat wooden racks on the front - perfect for transporting a case of beer. Everytime I look at her now it makes me happy. That poor, wonderful frame sat in the closet for years and sometimes at night I could hear her whimper for sunshine.

She lives again!!!!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/DSCN0526.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/DSCN0527.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/DSCN0528.jpg

Geno_g
05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
That is gorgeous, love the wood, and the growler each time I've had them I've killed them myself or with help from friends, it would go flat...

justinaqui
05-20-2009, 07:01 AM
those wood fenders are sick, especially with the whitewalls. Would look great with a wood handle bar. This guy always posts his on fixed gear gallery: http://www.woodhandlebar.com/
Not sure how easy it would be to put brakes on though, or if your husband would be interested in a flat bar.

marooko
05-20-2009, 07:10 AM
i would be so scared to ride wooden handle bars. even on a cruiser. they look awesome though.

gunz, that bike is damn sexy. glad she's out in the sun again. dont have any extras out here, but back east i had many things, bike associated, that i just couldnt throw away.

algunz
05-23-2009, 10:51 PM
Wooden handle bars sound scary. :)

If they broke on a cruise, I guess you could navigate with the stem.

It reminded me of the single speeders that have bars that barely fit their palms on either side. Imo, ridiculous.

gaypalmsprings
05-23-2009, 11:04 PM
here's a wooden bicycle

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2008-01/wooden-bicycle.jpg

algunz
05-23-2009, 11:08 PM
If you got lost in the middle of nowhere. you could burn it to survive. :thu

comiddle
06-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Anybody here listen to music while cycling?
What's your favourite?

I've been listening to a lot of Beck, Elliott Smith, Spoon and Built to Spill lately.

justinaqui
07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Some pretty impressive stuff here.
Z19zFlPah-o

The ride across the top of the fence is particularly amazing.

1litro
07-12-2009, 07:43 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdFRCVXyVdU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdFRCVXyVdU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ben and i had fun

marooko
07-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Some pretty impressive stuff here.
Z19zFlPah-o

The ride across the top of the fence is particularly amazing.

trials + street BMX = this beautiful video.

great find.

algunz
07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Mammoth Mountain - Off the Top to Beach Cruiser
What a fun afternoon, until we blew the back shock out. :)
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/DSCN0906.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/bikes/DSCN0909.jpg

Geno_g
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Wow, lucky, wish I could be on my bike right there...

algunz
07-15-2009, 02:29 PM
It was beautiful and on the tandem it was extraordinary.

marooko
07-15-2009, 02:39 PM
good times gunz.

comiddle
07-17-2009, 09:02 AM
http://bayimg.com/image/hacldaack.jpg

Got the frame on Monday, have been building it up over the last week.
Today I'm headed down to the coop in search of a crankset, then I'm good to go!