PDA

View Full Version : The Corporation

PassiveTheory
07-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Watched this movie today in Sociology. Pretty crazy. Anyone else here watched it before?

Cdubby
07-30-2008, 07:12 PM
parts of it......i think, is that movie where they talk about how a corporation is treated like a single person and its very anti everything?

PassiveTheory
07-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Pretty much. Noam Chomsky speaks in it, so does Michael Moore. They talk about various human rights abuses and how the corporation has virtually replaced government and religion in our every day lives. That sort of thing.

It's pretty scary.

Also, I checked all my milk carton labels at home for rGBH after I watched the movie...

Pixiessp
07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
I thought you were talking about that movie with Sidney Poiter from the 70's.
or was that one called the Syndicate? it was as long ass time ago.

miscorrections
07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Also, I checked all my milk carton labels at home for rGBH after I watched the movie...

You mean rBGH. I haven't seen the movie, so not sure what they say about it, but as far as I know it hasn't been shown to cause harm to people.

Pixiessp
07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
I looked it up....it's the Organization. I'll shut up now.

marooko
07-30-2008, 07:52 PM
dumbass.

wmgaretjax
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
I think they hit the hammer on the head on certain relationships between the corporation and the mind, such as a political agenda of a man doing something for himself at the risk of the masses is something a crazy man would find okay. But overall, a complete relationship between the two is not an obvious one or exact link.

I'm not sure they intended it to act as a 1:1 relationship, I think the metaphor was meant to serve a much simpler, sensational use... That's why I didn't really take that element of the film quite so serious.

It's a pretty solid film when it's all said and done. They tread down a couple rabbit holes, and that ends up making the film a little long. But the filmmakers seem to have their hearts in the right place, and I think it's message comes across pretty well.

Mr.Nipples
07-30-2008, 08:00 PM
anyone catch that lady who looked like weird al yankovic(dare to be stupid era)?

Mr.Nipples
07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
found her...elaine bernardhttp://www.alternativeradio.org/graphics/BERE.jpg

Young blood
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Damn! HOTTIE!

miscorrections
07-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I seriously better dream about that sexy broad tonight.

Young blood
07-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I believe we can reach the morning light.

PassiveTheory
07-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Well, I've always felt sorta strange that the various corporations and subsequent commercials for said corps seem to portray them in a very humanistic light. Why would you gear towards being environmentally friendly, Shell? So the film affirmed my view that corporations and big business only seem to show concern for people as a front, and that they really do not care.

The thing that sorta made me uneasy is that many of them acted as if it were their purpose in life TO make life hell for the people of third world countries, TO have massive pull on media, imagery and censorship, and TO essentially run our country for us... I mean, yeah, the corporation is supposed to put profit ahead of everything else, but there's gotta be a way to change the legal definition of a corporation...

Some of the stuff seemed a little heavy-handed (as do most documentaries), but I think the points toward the end, how to turn corporate greed against itself, made a lot of sense.

Also, what was with Weird Al in that movie... Sounded like a chick.