PDA

View Full Version : The Coachella Reset Button

TommyboyUNM
07-28-2008, 09:48 PM
So I am looking through my Coachella 2007 pocket schedule and noticed some bands that I hadn't heard of or wasn't into at the time that I missed. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have missed these groups. Again, it's only for bands I missed that I never heard of at the time or wasn't all that into. Also if anyone saw the shows I'm about to list, let me know how they were.

The Frames - I heard of them, but never bothered to check out their music. IMO, Glen Hansard is one of the better front men out there. There were no conflicts for me at the time. In fact, I was in line getting pizza while Fountains of Wayne was playing.

The Arcade Fire - I thought their music was ok, but wasn't really a fan at all. I did see 2 songs, but would've stayed longer if I had a do-over. I don't regret this too much, though. Ozomatli was really really fun in the Mojave. I have seen Ozo 5 times, so I should've chosen The Arcade Fire.

The Black Keys - I was really tired after RHCP (they put to sleep a little, lol) so I just decided to go to the tent and sleep. The Black Keys played in the Mojave after RHCP finished on the Main Stage. If I was into them then like I am now, I would've fought sleep and checked them out. I'm finally seeing them next month with MMJ at Red Rocks.

Rodrigo y Gabriela - I had just finished watching Explosions in the Sky and was waiting for The Roots. If I could go back, I would've snuck out to the Gobi to see R y G. The Roots were really good, though.

suprefan
07-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah the last 3 were all good. AF slayed, The Black Keys were such an underrated performance on Saturday night being stuck in between so many things at the hour they played. R y G was good also, didnt see the Frames, cant help there.

leo01g
07-28-2008, 09:59 PM
You missed out on Arcade Fire. I wish i should of stayed after RHCP to catch the black keys but damn i had to shower i was drenched in sweat.

Boourns
07-28-2008, 10:19 PM
If I could do it all over again...
2004:
attending day 2, but missing it was unavoidable

2005:
stay for all of Rilo Kiley, skip Wilco
leave Bauhaus after "Bela Lugosi's Dead", watch the Chemical Bros
see New Order (I saw the Dresden Dolls and their set was EPIC, but that was the only chance in life I ever had to see New Order and at the time I assumed they would come back to LA later that year)

2006:
Cat Power instead of Franz Ferdinand (their set was great but Cat Power played stuff she doesn't play anymore...)
don't bother trying to "see" Madonna

2007:
catch Faithless instead of Interpol
don't bother trying to get a good spot for Bjork because even the second row would've been bad thanks to her mongoloid fans
catch the end of DJ Shadow

2008:
see Boys Noize instead of lazing around VIP
see all of Holy Fuck instead of taking a dump
make the trek to see Justice after Roger Waters

MarkO
07-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Skip The Happy Mondays for Teddybears or a better spot for Rage. What.a.fucking.trainwreck. the Mondays were.

No big regrets other than that. Saw The Frames set mentioned above & RyG. Saw Faithless & JAMC last year. Saw Battles / Holy Fuck this year. Was inside 15 rows for Portishead and Kraftwerk. I'm generally happy with the choices I make.

Sushov23
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
So I am looking through my Coachella 2007 pocket schedule and noticed some bands that I hadn't heard of or wasn't into at the time that I missed. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have missed these groups. Again, it's only for bands I missed that I never heard of at the time or wasn't all that into. Also if anyone saw the shows I'm about to list, let me know how they were.

The Frames - I heard of them, but never bothered to check out their music. IMO, Glen Hansard is one of the better front men out there. There were no conflicts for me at the time. In fact, I was in line getting pizza while Fountains of Wayne was playing.

The Arcade Fire - I thought their music was ok, but wasn't really a fan at all. I did see 2 songs, but would've stayed longer if I had a do-over. I don't regret this too much, though. Ozomatli was really really fun in the Mojave. I have seen Ozo 5 times, so I should've chosen The Arcade Fire.

The Black Keys - I was really tired after RHCP (they put to sleep a little, lol) so I just decided to go to the tent and sleep. The Black Keys played in the Mojave after RHCP finished on the Main Stage. If I was into them then like I am now, I would've fought sleep and checked them out. I'm finally seeing them next month with MMJ at Red Rocks.

Rodrigo y Gabriela - I had just finished watching Explosions in the Sky and was waiting for The Roots. If I could go back, I would've snuck out to the Gobi to see R y G. The Roots were really good, though.

The Frames weren't that good, till this day I regret missing the combo of The Cribs, and the Fratellis(who I haven't seen yet) for the frames. I went in looking forward to them, and felt dissapointed. I left and finished watching fountains of wayne(I wanted a good spot for Regina Spektor). The Black Keys kicked ass, so did Arcade Fire. Don't know about RyG since I wasn't there, and maybe one day I'll be able to talk about why I wasn't there that day.

cansei de ser sexme
07-28-2008, 10:56 PM

Wolf Parade instead of Bloc party.

faithless instead of interpol
benny bennasi instead of waiting for bjork
hustled from arcade fire to justice instead of slowly making my way over and missing half the set.

datarock instead of pendulum.

i pretty much played 08 just right.

Boourns
07-28-2008, 11:08 PM

Wolf Parade instead of Bloc party.

faithless instead of interpol
benny bennasi instead of waiting for bjork
hustled from arcade fire to justice instead of slowly making my way over and missing half the set.

datarock instead of pendulum.

i pretty much played 08 just right.

Benny Bennasi is something that would come out of Lindsay Lohan's iPod. Go see Jarvis Cocker instead. Or Peeping Tom. Anything but Benny or watching an empty stage.

frozen pilgrim
07-28-2008, 11:09 PM
06:
would've gone
(no funds, no knowledge of the event, didn't know anyone going, crippling depression, etc)

07: would've left RATM about ten minutes earlier for infected mushroom and run back to RATM about 2 minutes earlier- wouldn't have waited for... shit, who was it that was super late ono the outdoor saturday... happy mondays? I don't fucking remember, because I didn't fucking see them. I woulda left and gone to see something else.

08: bringing my friend joey.
one of my best friends, but I discovered through coachella that she's musically closed minded. it was an unnecessary stress having to feel like I was 'subjecting' her to ANYTHING. fuck that.
next year, it's just me, my jilly, you awesome people, and that awesome place.

frozen pilgrim
07-28-2008, 11:11 PM
oh- and I dunno if you were actually there for benny benassi in 07, but he killed. that man, regardless of your feelings about the material he produces, is an excellent DJ. he knows how to really connect with a crowd- yes, he produces cheesy eurodance/electroclash, and yes, his live sets are incredibly uplifting and danceable.

ThomThom
07-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I missed Jarvis in '07, that bothered me for a while.

stinkbutt
07-28-2008, 11:19 PM

Wolf Parade instead of Bloc party

Wolf Parade had major sound issues and only ended up playing like 4 songs but those four were really good, then again I was really diggin them at that point in time

MarkO
07-28-2008, 11:20 PM
The Frames weren't that good ........

F for Fail.

Putting an Irish band on a stage when it's 1 0 fucking hot is not a good idea yet they were great. I've seen them 10 or 11 times and wasn't let down by their set in '07.

cansei de ser sexme
07-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Wolf Parade had major sound issues and only ended up playing like 4 songs but those four were really good, then again I was really diggin them at that point in time

I am pretty sure anything would sound better than bloc party.

zenidogx
07-28-2008, 11:24 PM
06- skip bloc party altogether and get a good spot for Gnarls and not miss the intro
07- better spot for Manu Chao

Boourns
07-28-2008, 11:27 PM
I missed Jarvis in '07, that bothered me for a while.

That's okay, you can see him in LA this year. Oh wait, we don't get a single fucking show and NYC got two.

stinkbutt
07-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Was Bloc Party that bad in 06? I somehow managed to see Wolf Parade get a bite to eat and get a great spot for Gnarls in that order, how did that work could someone post a schedule please?

zenidogx
07-28-2008, 11:34 PM
06 Bloc Party was very "meh". just a bad performance of album material.
the poor sound of the outdoor theatre did not help at all.

Boourns
07-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I wanted to see Wolf Parade but I could barely stay alive in that tent during Metric. I needed fresh air and water.

stinkbutt
07-28-2008, 11:39 PM
I remember catching Metric for a min too how is this possible I know that year being my first I was running around like crazy but I'll be back I need to find a schedule

zenidogx
07-28-2008, 11:41 PM
here ya go stinkbutt

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fs earch%2Fimages%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3D2006%2520coachella%2520set%2520times%26fr2 %3Dtab-web%26fr%3Dslv8-ygames&w=800&h=618&imgurl=coachella.com%2F06_sat.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coachella.com%2F06times.html&size=466.1kB&name=06_sat.jpg&p=2006+coachella+set+times&type=JPG&oid=226887ea6e19d118&no=4&tt=7&sigr=1159dbf7u&sigi=10oignak0&sigb=13h973b0c

Boourns
07-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Metric fucking killed it.

stinkbutt
07-28-2008, 11:42 PM
http://coachella.com/06_sun.jpg

Nevermind now I remember caught the end of metric stayed though some of wolf parade ate then gnarls god I rushed that

Boourns
07-28-2008, 11:43 PM
My camera's clock was 5 minutes ahead all weekend in 2006. Resulted in me unnecessarily arriving to and leaving sets early.

stinkbutt
07-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Metric fucking killed it.

Honestly Metric was good but it wasn't really a stand out performance for me maybe the end was just bad or something

Boourns
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Or maybe you're wrong.

zenidogx
07-28-2008, 11:46 PM
boourns is always right

stinkbutt
07-28-2008, 11:48 PM
If boourns is always right then why don't I see a Gathering of the Juggalos date in his/her sig?

JSam67
07-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Arcade Fire '07 was easily my favorite show of that year. Some regrets:

2007 - Missing The Black Keys due to exhaustion. Missing LCD Soundsystem for RHCP with my friend, then having him freak out and have to leave (thus essentially missing RHCP too). Leaving right before Hot Chip due to Mojave Tent heat. Being too tired to thoroughly enjoy Bjork.

2008 - Being too far back for Portishead/Prince. Same thing with The Verve (wish I hadn't been so unaware of their awesomeness). Not leaving Roger Waters earlier (wish I could've seen Black Mountain).

apostle2
07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
2002-2008: Knowing about the festival and the lineup but not coming because I lived 3,000 miles away.

I would amend that somehow

Boourns
07-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Oh, I forgot a big one. I was so exhausted and dehydrated after Radiohead that I missed Kraftwerk.

But I got to see them this year, yay.

Oh yeah, hauling ass to the Virgin tent at the end of St. Vincent to get the last copy of her album on vinyl for the signing, only to have the cruel sun warp it beyond recognition. It warped so badly that the sleeve split open.

humanoid
07-29-2008, 12:08 AM
2002-2008: Knowing about the festival and the lineup but not coming because I lived 3,000 miles away.

I would amend that somehow

at least 3000 miles is a fairly valid excuse

Boourns
07-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Oh definitely. I wouldn't fly 3000 to see anyone. Well, Portishead and Pulp, I'm sure.

Wait, I actually did fly 3000 miles to see Radiohead because I didn't feel like waiting another three months. Probably the most excessive thing I've ever done.

apostle2
07-29-2008, 12:23 AM
yeah true, not like I fell asleep or rolled out of my mind or something, but still...for all the time spent on this board in those years it would be nice to have something to show for it...haha

Boourns
07-29-2008, 12:26 AM
You'll come next year, yes?

What bands do you hope play?

joshc
07-29-2008, 12:29 AM
I remember that Metric show as being good, but all of their keyboards kept breaking because of the heat of an early afternoon show in a sweltering tent.

apostle2
07-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Yes, I am coming next year no matter what, line up doesn't matter.

And for bands I'm hoping, it's Bowie, Outkast, Gorillaz, Muse, and then a lot of stuff that won't happen (return of Daft, return of Radiohead, Talking Heads, etc)

Boourns
07-29-2008, 12:41 AM
Bowie would definitely bring the "OMG WTF? HE'S PLAYING? SWEET!" reaction that Prince did. I really want to see him.

apostle2
07-29-2008, 12:53 AM
yeah, he's really the only elder statesman of rock that I can see both being a possibility and fitting in with the aesthesic of coachella. if we're going to have one nursing home act, it has to be bowie. also, there are tons of recent bands that would shit a brick to play before him...

my main problem with a wishful coachella lineup though is that I want to see a ton of bands that have come to coachella but never came to my part of the country, ie verve, portishead, daft, prodigy, chem brothers. so my perfect coach would be a giant repeat for everyone else...haha

JSam67
07-29-2008, 12:54 AM
One of my friends posed the idea of Coachella's 10th year anniversary being like a "Best of Previous Coachellas" sort of thing. Since I've only attended the past 2 years, I'd sure love to see some of the past great performers (Daft, Tool, etc.).

BobCaygeon
07-29-2008, 06:45 AM

I at least hope the dump was somewhat satisfying.

Tylerdurden31
07-29-2008, 07:20 AM
i pretty much fucked up at 2004

missed Broken Social Scene, BRMC, !!!, LCD Soundsystem, Kraftwerk, Mogwai(for The Flaming Lips craptacular), most of AIR's set, Basement Jaxx, The Crystal Method and probably some other stuff

matsuolost
07-29-2008, 07:58 AM
One of my friends posed the idea of Coachella's 10th year anniversary being like a "Best of Previous Coachellas" sort of thing. .

that already happened, it was 07
and it wasnt that good

fatbastard
07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
http://coachella.com/06_sun.jpg

Nevermind now I remember caught the end of metric stayed though some of wolf parade ate then gnarls god I rushed that

I stayed in the Sahara that entire day. Can't believe I missed Mogwai.

212margarita
07-29-2008, 08:27 AM
BRMC had some massive sound and equipment issues in 04...you didnt miss much. But the Basement Jaxx killed it...sucks you missed it.

Newro7ic
07-29-2008, 09:50 AM
I stayed in the Sahara that entire day. Can't believe I missed Mogwai.

It takes a lot of effort to screw up that bad...

bigc1
07-29-2008, 10:31 AM
wish I saw Jarvis' full set instead of Peeping Tom
MSTRKRFT instead of PBJ
Black Keys instead of (or waiting for) the G,B & Q

bmack86
07-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I would have seen Mogwai instead of the Flaming Lips in 2004.

Hopeless Semantic
07-29-2008, 04:50 PM
I would've stuck around for Explosions In The Sky Set instead of buying the frozen lemonade...

Last year, I would've not made the mistake of going into the port-a-potty after a way-too inebriated girl vomited a thousand times. The smell killed like John Wayne Gacy Jr.

PassiveTheory
07-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Let's see...

2007: Should have seen Ratatat instead of the Happy Mondays. Should have had the energy to witness Gogol Bordello's set (stupid feet). Should have watched all of the Comedians of Comedy. Should have seen Blonde Redhead and LCD Soundsystem instead of the Chili Peppers. Should have stayed at the Kooks and caught Junior Boys' full set. Should have stayed for all of CSS.

2008: Should have caught Les Savy Fav instead of Black Kids. Should have stayed at Hot Chip longer. Should have seen Gogol Bordello instead of Swervedriver.

amyzzz
07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I missed The Cure, Muse, and AIR in 04 because I only went the first day. I can't really change it--I just couldn't afford to go another day.

Sushov23
07-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Let's see...

2007: Should have seen Ratatat instead of the Happy Mondays. Should have had the energy to witness Gogol Bordello's set (stupid feet). Should have watched all of the Comedians of Comedy. Should have seen Blonde Redhead and LCD Soundsystem instead of the Chili Peppers. Should have stayed at the Kooks and caught Junior Boys' full set. Should have stayed for all of CSS.

2008: Should have caught Les Savy Fav instead of Black Kids. Should have stayed at Hot Chip longer. Should have seen Gogol Bordello instead of Swervedriver.

wow, you made some bad choices this year. The Black Kids? really?

Trick Loves The Kids
07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
I would go back and see Spankrock instead of Rage. That's probably it.

bmack86
07-29-2008, 07:48 PM
i pretty much fucked up at 2004

missed Broken Social Scene, BRMC, !!!, LCD Soundsystem, Kraftwerk, Mogwai(for The Flaming Lips craptacular), most of AIR's set, Basement Jaxx, The Crystal Method and probably some other stuff

I wish I would have seen LCD, and I likewise missed Basement Jaxx. BSS were on top form, and !!! were insane for having been in the midst of the heat.

And, I got to watch Air from the stage with Beck. That was awesome.

Sonicifyouwantit
07-29-2008, 08:05 PM

which year does this refer to? too lazy to see which year ozo played.

2008:
see Boys Noize instead of lazing around VIP
make the trek to see Justice after Roger Waters

I thought you didnt like boys noize or justice...my only real regret was missing chemical brothers in 2005 but I saw them at nocturnal last year so no biggie....

boarderwoozel3
07-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Should have gone to Gogol after Bjorks first few songs in 07.

Should not have ate an Italian wrap in 08.

boarderwoozel3
07-29-2008, 08:12 PM
which year does this refer to? too lazy to see which year ozo played.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Ozomatli in 07 because I did the same thing. Caught the first few Arcade Fire songs and then went to ozo in the Mojave but I have no regrets. They were one my favorite acts the whole weekend.

TommyboyUNM
07-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty sure he's referring to Ozomatli in 07 because I did the same thing. Caught the first few Arcade Fire songs and then went to ozo in the Mojave but I have no regrets. They were one my favorite acts the whole weekend.

Yes, indeed, Ozomatli in 07. And they really kicked ass. One of the best shows I saw all weekend. Their show actually translated really well to the main stage at Bonnaroo this year.

JSam67
07-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Should have gone to Gogol after Bjorks first few songs in 07.

Wait, why? Bjork owned, and is superior to Gogol Bordello. Plus, if you left early, you wouldn't have seen/heard Declare Independence.

zenidogx
07-29-2008, 09:47 PM
the Gogol 07 show was the best show i have ever witnessed. i am not the only board member to claim this. it was very fucking fun. the music, the crowd, the energy. it was phenomenal. not knocking down Bjork, but Gogol's 07 show is untouchable.

Memorial_07
07-30-2008, 09:23 AM
I wish I could've seen RyG. But what can you do?
I regret missing Against Me! last year just beacause I wanted to see how good they may have been.

2008:
Missing Flogging Molly for Portishead/Prince but it was probably a smart choice.
Being closer to Prince during his set.
And most importantly...I would give anything to be back at his set watching him perform all of Purple Rain (and not just the 1st verse) and Let's Go Crazy. Fuck......

drowningmatt
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
I would go back and see Spankrock instead of Rage. That's probably it.

That is the only thing I can think of. Other than that I'm quite happy with my choices.

PassiveTheory
07-30-2008, 10:12 AM
wow, you made some bad choices this year. The Black Kids? really?

Didn't we have this discussion in the "Pitchfork gives Black Kids' new record a 0.0" thread?