PDA

View Full Version : Gym frustrations

whynotsmile99
07-24-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm joining a gym sometime soon. I went to one in college, paid too much, used it every so often but had no major problems.

Now that i'm working I have some money saved up and want to start one up again. Joining a gym is like pulling teeth to me. I always feel like I'm being suckered. and I hate feeling like a sucker.

Due to my location in LA, 24 hour Fitness and LA Ftiness are my only two real options, I'm sorry to say. 24 Hour Fitness makes a lot more sense, as there are two in my city, as opposed to driving 7 miles each day to an LA fitness.
So really, 24 HF it is.

I've just spent the last hour reading consumer reports/reviews on these two companies and the vile over these gyms is insane.

I hate all the bullshit membership plans, I hate how much it is, I hate dealing with all the crap, yet I want to work out and I want an all club pass so I'm not stuck at my location.

Here's what I'm facing:

$19 initiation fee + $44.99 a month for Super Sport 24 Hour Fitness All Club Pass. It's a lot, I know. But my options are somewhat limitied and If I went to LA fitness for 30/month I'd be spending that 15 in gas just to get to the fucking place. I called, I bitched, and thats as low as I'm getting from workers there

Any advice? Anyone have any experience with LA or 24 hour fitness? Any deals/shenanigans/magic tricks I should know about so I'm not the only schmuck paying 45 dollars for a damn gym membership?

I'd join the YMCA, but out of my budget

Thanks

Young blood
07-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Muscle beach!

Young blood
07-24-2008, 03:24 PM
kDCxH88-9X8

menikmati
07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
crsS99upBL0

whynotsmile99
07-24-2008, 03:25 PM
kDCxH88-9X8

I think that's my answer right there

Young blood
07-24-2008, 03:27 PM
hell yeah bus stop work outs while you waiting to go check in with your P.O is the only way to go. Its my daily.

whynotsmile99
07-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I was really hoping some sirens would start blaring when they were doing sit ups on top of the bus stop and they just started running

Cdubby
07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
I was really hoping some sirens would start blaring when they were doing sit ups on top of the bus stop and they just started running

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f312/Tonito44/ThatsRacist.gif

psychic friend
07-24-2008, 03:53 PM
i pay $20 a month to not go to the gym because it is so crowded at the time I would go that I have to wait around to use anything. ballys. so glad that membership ends this year for me.

Mr. Dylanja
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm pretty sure every gym in any decent sized city is absolutely packed from 5 to 7, so not even worth it.

tessalasset
07-24-2008, 04:56 PM
yeah which is why i need a gym that's open late. 6p-8p are the times of death for me.

i actually pay $50/mo for my gym and i haven't been in months. i think i might cancel it after august and just exercise around my neighborhood. ghetto style.

bluemamba
07-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Dude just go on the juice. Youll see faster results too.

Somewhat Damaged
07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm lucky -- the gym closest to my house is open 24 hours. I don't go too late, waiting till 9 pm so I don't have to worry much about accessing any equipment. If the gym's so expensive, though, perhaps you could purchase a Wii and get the Wii Fit? Maybe not the most comprehensive exercise plan, and definitely not a viable alternative if you want to work out with free weights, but it could be a good start depending on what your fitness goals are.

BTW, if you do join the gym and can afford to, eat a lot of meat beforehand. I bought a package of 3 steaks last week (I forget what kind they were exactly; I know they were beef, but I don't know how to describe the style of cut 'cause I'm an ignoramus on that stuff, but they were all cut really thin) but didn't separate them when I got home. When I went to cook one for dinner Tuesday night, they had all frozen together and since I didn't have the foresight to defrost them before leaving for work, I just cooked all three. And with my OCD, I couldn't leave one of them uneaten, so I had all of them for dinner. And wow, my work-out that night was fucking incredible. I hadn't worked out my arms in a couple weeks and I was lifting like nobody's business. So yeah, go protein.

Mr. Dylanja
07-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Bananas are good potassium for the muhskullz too!

sbessiso
07-24-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm chunky and do not work out. thank you, that is all

bluemamba
07-24-2008, 06:30 PM
sure those steaks werent laced with a lil something SD?

Somewhat Damaged
07-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Well, the butcher at the grocery store I shop at does strike me as being a roid freak, so who knows?

Courtney
07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
My big words of advice are that it's worth it to pay more and get a month-to-month membership instead of one of those one year+ contracts, so that you have the freedom to do as you please with your membership. And if you're like me, you'll be much more likely to go to the gym if it's near your house or on your drive to work.

Many gyms will offer you cheaper membership plans if you imply that you're going to sign on for lots of expensive personal training or other peripheral services. They may offer special student membership plans. And some big companies will even subsidize gym memberships for their employees, if you're super lucky.

I pay way too much for my gym membership, but I actually enjoy going there, so it's 100% worth it to me.

TomAz
07-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Here's an idea: If you're just gonna do cardio buy a treadmill for your house or apartment. Not only are there no lines, no waiting, ever -- I find I actually spend more time on it and I do it every single day. I have lost 20 lbs since I bought the thing in mid-April.

Treadmills are expensive, and take up a bunch of space, so it's not something to enter into lightly. but if you want to do it you can find ways to make it work. Look for sales. By good name brands used. Get a monthly payment plan.

I used to belong to a gym, and when I bought the treadmill I called to cancel my membership and they told me I had to come in in person to do it. I'm convinced gyms are like cell phone companies: they look for any way possible to try to screw you. Those two industries seem to thrive in a culture of godawful customer service. I mean, srsly, they're worse than the airlines.

Courtney
07-24-2008, 08:16 PM
I agree with gyms being sneaky and making it difficult for you to cancel memberships.

I envy your willpower, but the treadmill thing would never work for me. I can't do anything at home. If I try to exercise or be productive in any way, I always end up getting distracted. This is why I go to coffee shops and libraries to research/write, and gyms to exercise.

Somewhat Damaged
07-24-2008, 09:12 PM
I bought an elliptical machine and used it religiously for, like, a week. I just get too lazy if I'm at home. And I get bored easily so I need something to distract me, and there are only so many DVDs in my collection to occupy my attention.

BTW, Tom, better change your airline remark before captncrzy sees it. You wouldn't like her when she's angry.

mountmccabe
07-24-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure every gym in any decent sized city is absolutely packed from 5 to 7, so not even worth it.

I have not seen more than two other people working out at the gym. It is relatively small but it just doesn't get used. I am not sure how they manage it but I am not complaining.

It is too hot to bike outside.

orbit
07-24-2008, 10:14 PM
I started to go to my university's gym last semester. It's free so why not, and there's usually not many people which is pretty good. I'm glad most guys there are obsessed with pecs/arms, so I can always use the treadmill or cycle machine.

I probably exercise more biking from home to the gym, though.

philip0205
07-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Gym is beneficail for health.Fit person can be work more then other people.I am gyming for last five years.I have fit body.Everyone should do exercise.

Philip Jones

Wide Circles (http://www.widecircles.biz)

Stainofmind
07-24-2008, 10:32 PM
why dont you used the money you saved up to buy a weight set or you dont have the space for it?

shakermaker113
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm so lazy. there's a YMCA right outside my apartment. I can see inside it from my bedroom. I have lived here nine months and still haven't bothered signing up.

bluemamba
07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Fuck you Phillip J.