PDA

View Full Version : Spanish at coachello

David_w
02-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Uhm, I read that most of the population in Indio and in the area surrounding is speaking spanish.. Is this true? Or do they also speak english? I'm thinking that if I went to a wallmart and some spanish perrson spoke to me I wouldn't get what he or she was saying.. Sorry for this kinda stupid question but I've never been to California before.

jerpar24
02-04-2007, 11:55 PM
They Will know English

tessalasset
02-05-2007, 01:31 AM
<3 mitch hedberg.

elChurro
02-05-2007, 07:30 AM
this is california... almost everyone speaks spanglish.

shoveitupmytoolbox
02-05-2007, 09:59 AM
just respond with 'gracious amigo' and you'll be fine...

David_w
02-05-2007, 10:35 AM

Hahah:D

dekr510
02-05-2007, 10:57 AM
English is banned in California!!

of course they understand you, just point at what you want. lol.

SFChrissy
02-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Actually..."Gracias Amigo"

God knows coachella & stage coach festival will be the most white people they've ever seen...

But than again Native Californians are a dying breed and the transplants that come here degrade our freestyle way of living...rob us from the welcome we give and piss on our longevity...

Proud to be a 6th generation native...

amyzzz
02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
To answer your question, English is the official language in America, so I doubt anyone will come up to you and start speaking Spanish. Everyone who works in customer service type jobs must at least speak English, although many in Indio could be bilingual and also speak Spanish.

foto_synthesis
02-06-2007, 09:59 AM
To answer your question, English is the official language in America, so I doubt anyone will come up to you and start speaking Spanish. Everyone who works in customer service type jobs must at least speak English, although many in Indio could be bilingual and also speak Spanish.

Sadly, this is not the case in Miami. I do not speak spanish, yet I am frequently first greeted in Spanish at such places as large supermarket chains, and so on. So, unfortunately in some areas of the country english is NOT the official language. In some parts of Miami, its barely a second language. :rolleyes

So I guess this means I'll have no problem in Indio....

SubBass49
02-06-2007, 05:41 PM

Actually English ISN'T the official language of America. Think about it...we're a nation of immigrants...English, German, Scandanavian, Irish, Spanish, Indian, African, etc. The founding fathers declared no official language for a reason. I know it's hard for the anti-immigrant types to see through their hatred and peep that, but it's the truth.

I get a kick every time I see an ignorant a$$ "Welcome to America, now speak English" sticker on some redneck's truck. Watching some moron try to talk smack to new immigrants while he promotes the language of a nation that we fought in a war to obtain our freedom. Just amusing in an intellectual kind of way.

Oh, and to the original question...yeah...mostly everyone in that area has at least a basic understanding of English. If not, no worries...it's not like they're gonna eat your brains if the two of you can't communicate verbally.

-- J

suprefan
02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Uhm, I read that most of the population in Indio and in the area surrounding is speaking spanish.. Is this true? Or do they also speak english? I'm thinking that if I went to a wallmart and some spanish perrson spoke to me I wouldn't get what he or she was saying.. Sorry for this kinda stupid question but I've never been to California before.

There is a high latino population in Indio but that doesnt mean they dont know English. Sorry if you think you are entering a foreign country here.... I am latin and I speak perfect english and spanish but you would never think I spoke spanish cause I am whiter than a lot of white people... And we have the best mexican food, remember that.

SubBass49
02-06-2007, 06:53 PM
MMmmmm...So-Cal Mexican Food...can't find anything like it anywhere. It's a special blend of California and REAL Mexican food (no Taco Bell you midwesterners). Hit up any place with "bertos" in the name and order some Carne Asada Fries with Guacamole & Sour Cream. For all my travelling, I've never seen that dish anywhere besides So-Cal. It's addictive...

-- J

DeltaSigChi4
02-06-2007, 08:16 PM
This thread is racist.

E

SubBass49
02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
To visit the official Captain Obvious Myspace page, click here: http://www.myspace.com/hp1

=)

-- J

vogina
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
I hate it when people ask "you speak ah Spanish"... fuc k off! do you speak ah English?

danielcampoverde@hotmail.
02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
compadre compreme un coco
compadre, no compro coco,
porque como poco coco como
poco coco compro

Tomasz
02-07-2007, 05:07 AM
Ace, I can try out some of my Spanish skills :)

mi Español no es bueno :(

David_w
02-07-2007, 04:01 PM
There is a high latino population in Indio but that doesnt mean they dont know English. Sorry if you think you are entering a foreign country here.... I am latin and I speak perfect english and spanish but you would never think I spoke spanish cause I am whiter than a lot of white people... And we have the best mexican food, remember that.

I wasn't trying to be a racist or anything, and I do hate racism. I was just interested since my spanish is really bad - and it would be nice to know something about Indio. I read in the internet that 80% of the population was spanish talking, and I was told that some americans didn't even speak english - but spanish. Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks a lot for the answers.

GTI_GRL
02-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Actually English ISN'T the official language of America. Think about it...we're a nation of immigrants...English, German, Scandanavian, Irish, Spanish, Indian, African, etc. The founding fathers declared no official language for a reason. I know it's hard for the anti-immigrant types to see through their hatred and peep that, but it's the truth.

I get a kick every time I see an ignorant a$$ "Welcome to America, now speak English" sticker on some redneck's truck. Watching some moron try to talk smack to new immigrants while he promotes the language of a nation that we fought in a war to obtain our freedom. Just amusing in an intellectual kind of way.

Oh, and to the original question...yeah...mostly everyone in that area has at least a basic understanding of English. If not, no worries...it's not like they're gonna eat your brains if the two of you can't communicate verbally.

-- J

I was just going to say that, about how english was not the official language until recently. However, I do believe they made English the official language in the past 30 years. Around the same time they made interracial marriage legal.

DeltaSigChi4
02-09-2007, 12:27 AM
English is not the official language.

E

SubBass49
02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I was just going to say that, about how english was not the official language until recently. However, I do believe they made English the official language in the past 30 years. Around the same time they made interracial marriage legal.

Then why would you have sites & organizations such as the first one on this list?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22english+official+language

ENGLISH IS NOT THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE UNITED STATES.

THERE IS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE UNITED STATES.

IT IS A MYTH.

-- J

DeltaSigChi4
02-09-2007, 09:36 AM
That's what I just [proverbially] said, SubBass. :mad:

E

SubBass49
02-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah, but with people that are delusional, you have to give them something to back it up...proof so-to-speak. I said English wasnt the official language WAAAAYYYY back in the thread, but she still believes it is. Thus the addition of proof.

-- J

Dont get ya feelings hurt

DeltaSigChi4
02-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Don't patronize me, Subby.

If she's logged onto Coachella.com's forums, she can complete a simple search on google for the information she's doubting.

And you don't get your feelings hurt. :dumbo

E

SunDevil
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
For all my travelling, I've never seen that dish anywhere besides So-Cal. It's addictive...

You can get Carne Asada fries at a thousand different "bertos" places in Phoenix (filiberto's is my personal favorite). Not like we are far removed from SoCal here, but just sayin'...

SubBass49
02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
SWEET! Now I know I can travel to Phoenix! Hehehe...

Oh, and don't take it personal DeltaSigChi4...I make it my goal in life to educate people...if you want to be the one to tell ignorant people what's up and it means THAT MUCH to ya, I'll step back...you just lemme know when...mmmmkayyyy?

- J

tijuanamakesmehappy
02-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Actually you should stop calling AMERICA to US, when are you guys going to learn, that America is the CONTINENT, is Venezuela, is Mexico, is Canada, etc!!!
you are not alone in the world you know...??

-- J

DeltaSigChi4
02-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Tijuana guy is right. Amerigo Vespucci didn't even explore the USA, but South America. Heh.

E

tiffdud41
02-09-2007, 03:50 PM
you guys are dorks...hehe...amerigo vespucci...heh

tiffdud41
02-09-2007, 03:55 PM
but, to get back to the point, I noticed that if you head in one direction from the polo fields you get ghetto-ville and there's a food 4 less that totally rocked! (being the whitey that I am I got a lot of strange stares from the locals probably wondering how the hell the white girl got lost...)

and if you head the other way it gets less and less ghetto the further you go--29 Palms is where I turned around. but I found a Ross and bought some really cool shoes and sunglasses..yippee..and nobody looked at me like I was totally out of place there

soooo, it's just like any place where you have "different sides of town" and I really didn't notice any language barriers but perhaps I'm just used to it, living in southern AZ

David_w
02-09-2007, 04:34 PM
but, to get back to the point, I noticed that if you head in one direction from the polo fields you get ghetto-ville and there's a food 4 less that totally rocked! (being the whitey that I am I got a lot of strange stares from the locals probably wondering how the hell the white girl got lost...)

and if you head the other way it gets less and less ghetto the further you go--29 Palms is where I turned around. but I found a Ross and bought some really cool shoes and sunglasses..yippee..and nobody looked at me like I was totally out of place there

soooo, it's just like any place where you have "different sides of town" and I really didn't notice any language barriers but perhaps I'm just used to it, living in southern AZ

Thanks for the answer. :)

DeltaSigChi4
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
you guys are dorks...hehe...amerigo vespucci...heh

:)

E

SubBass49
02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
LoL...the Food 4 Less isn't in the ghetto! LoL...that Food 4 Less is in a normal area. Wow...if that's ghetto then you really dont get out much do ya?

-- J

DeltaSigChi4
02-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Ghetto is subjective.

E

tiffdud41
02-14-2007, 12:32 AM
well....it was definitely beanerville...and it wasn't a particularly clean looking area.

GTI_GRL
02-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Then why would you have sites & organizations such as the first one on this list?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22english+official+language

ENGLISH IS NOT THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE UNITED STATES.

THERE IS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE UNITED STATES.

IT IS A MYTH.

-- J

hmm,

I remember talking about this in my edse classes (475/476/400). Maybe it was purely in reference to the education system in California. We were talking about all the changes in the education system due to bilingual, dual language, and various other issues related to non-english languages impacting the classroom. I remember talking about an act or bill from the early 80's that would have made English the official language, but I thought I remember reading it past. I guess it didn't, egh no big deal.

GTI_GRL
02-14-2007, 01:21 AM
well....it was definitely beanerville...and it wasn't a particularly clean looking area.

I would take that over any whitetrashville

GTI_GRL
02-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Yeah, but with people that are delusional, you have to give them something to back it up...proof so-to-speak. I said English wasnt the official language WAAAAYYYY back in the thread, but she still believes it is. Thus the addition of proof.

-- J

Dont get ya feelings hurt

But, I was right on the interracial marriage. AND it was in the same era late
60's/70's/early 80's when english as an official language really became an issue. It was when students that did not speak english were not being helped in the education system. The ideology then was racist, in the fact that, educators planned on non-english speaking students dropping out. That was the way that the problem was solved, until groups began to speak on behalf of non-english speaking individuals, including students.

GTI_GRL
02-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Don't patronize me, Subby.

If she's logged onto Coachella.com's forums, she can complete a simple search on google for the information she's doubting.

And you don't get your feelings hurt. :dumbo

E

I just didn't care enough to.

SubBass49
02-14-2007, 05:28 AM

Wow....racist much?

:nono

-- J

SubBass49
02-14-2007, 05:33 AM
But, I was right on the interracial marriage. AND it was in the same era late
60's/70's/early 80's when english as an official language really became an issue. It was when students that did not speak english were not being helped in the education system. The ideology then was racist, in the fact that, educators planned on non-english speaking students dropping out. That was the way that the problem was solved, until groups began to speak on behalf of non-english speaking individuals, including students.

Yup yup, you're exactly right on that point...as someone that:
1. is in an interracial relationship & getting married soon
2. is a teacher
3. teaches in a school that's about 70% Latino, many new arrivals

I've got experience in most of those areas. And you're right...many states held out on interracial marriage being illegal until VERY recently.

The problem with the whole bi-lingual education thing is that there's no one-size-fits-all solution, so it's hard for some blowhard politician to be able to point to numbers on a board to prove their plan works. Basically politicians need to stay the hell outta education unless they are educators first. Like this No Child Left Behind thing...it's a JOKE. EXTREMELY counter-productive...but that doesnt stop the GOP from pointing to it and saying, "Look...we care about education...see...it says no child will be left behind!" LoL...ergh.

-- J

vinylmartyr
02-14-2007, 05:36 AM
I was left behind.

SubBass49
02-14-2007, 05:38 AM
Hehehe...I was right behind.

(but seriously folks...I'll be here all week)

-- J

DeltaSigChi4
02-14-2007, 06:32 AM
All children have been left behind.

E

GTI_GRL
02-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Yup yup, you're exactly right on that point...as someone that:
1. is in an interracial relationship & getting married soon
2. is a teacher
3. teaches in a school that's about 70% Latino, many new arrivals

I've got experience in most of those areas. And you're right...many states held out on interracial marriage being illegal until VERY recently.

The problem with the whole bi-lingual education thing is that there's no one-size-fits-all solution, so it's hard for some blowhard politician to be able to point to numbers on a board to prove their plan works. Basically politicians need to stay the hell outta education unless they are educators first. Like this No Child Left Behind thing...it's a JOKE. EXTREMELY counter-productive...but that doesnt stop the GOP from pointing to it and saying, "Look...we care about education...see...it says no child will be left behind!" LoL...ergh.

-- J

I am in an interracial relationship, and would get married if it was legal. I was considering becoming a teacher, and I started the program, but I had a change of heart. My wife, as I call her, is still in the program. In addition, the area I am from is mostly hispanic, and I still the struggles first hand. No Child Left Behind is a complete joke, maybe more importance will be placed on teaching than passing tests after the next elections.

SubBass49
02-15-2007, 05:36 AM
I am in an interracial relationship, and would get married if it was legal.

Where do you live that it's not legal?

-- J

vinylmartyr
02-15-2007, 05:44 AM
She is from the 661.

http://www.whitepages.com/static/common/maps/CA.gif

vinylmartyr
02-15-2007, 05:45 AM
It surprising to find out interracial marriage is totally illegal in Bakersfield.

SubBass49
02-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Then that's a bull$hit excuse if that's the case. Interracial marriage is legal in California. When my fiance's dad re-married, it was in an interracial relationship, and they live in Roseville (just east of Sacramento).

And I live in San Diego and will be married in July...so...yeah.

-- J

vinylmartyr
02-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Bm4F9Q0nH18

SubBass49
02-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Hahaha! Great clip!!!

-- J

happyguy23
02-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Presumably she's talking about same-sex marriage being illegal.

vinylmartyr
02-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Ya know you would think that.

SubBass49
02-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Aaahhhhhhh....now I get it! (doh!)

Yeah...I wonder if in the future when there really IS equality in America, if our children's generation will look back at us as a bunch of backwards thinking morons & hypocrites? "Fighting" for "freedom" in Iraq when we don't even have equality or freedom here. Pretty funny stuff if it wasn't so sad.

-- J

GTI_GRL
02-15-2007, 07:39 PM
yeah same sex marriage. I wife is mexican and I am white.

GTI_GRL
02-15-2007, 07:41 PM
She is from the 661.

http://www.whitepages.com/static/common/maps/CA.gif

I am in the 559, but near the 661. If you know the area, you could just say bfe.

aLexandRita
02-15-2007, 07:48 PM

-- J

This is the most educated, and non-ignorant post I've ever seen on here. When will people understand?

SubBass49
02-15-2007, 07:59 PM
=)

Thanks aLexandRita!

I guess you could call me a no-nonsense person. I'm just sick of the hypocritical posturing that the politicians do.

That's why I'm so stoked on Barack Obama so far. He seems very open & honest about everything...not afraid to tell stuff like it is and admit when he messes up either. I see him being the type to stick up for what is right, and what America always brags about around the world (freedom, equality, acceptance, the melting pot, etc). I hope he doesn't change.

-- J

jerpar24
02-15-2007, 10:35 PM
=)

Thanks aLexandRita!

I guess you could call me a no-nonsense person. I'm just sick of the hypocritical posturing that the politicians do.

That's why I'm so stoked on Barack Obama so far. He seems very open & honest about everything...not afraid to tell stuff like it is and admit when he messes up either. I see him being the type to stick up for what is right, and what America always brags about around the world (freedom, equality, acceptance, the melting pot, etc). I hope he doesn't change.

-- J

You know what I am a Rep. But I really like what Barack Obama is saying I really hope he does stick to his guns.

SubBass49
02-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Yeah...an honest politician...almost feels like an oxymoron to say it...but he doesn't run from his past or try to use semantic tricks to lessen the impact the way Bush, Cheney, and even Clinton did. I really hope he gets the Democratic nomination.

-- J

jerpar24
02-15-2007, 10:48 PM
I think its going to be Obama for the dems and Rudy Giuliani with the reps nominations. If it does end up like this I think it will be one hell of a race.

SubBass49
02-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Hehehe...Guiliani scares me. He's too fascistic for me. I realize he's left of most GOP candidates right now, but his stance on freedom of speech and artistic expression scares the crap out of me as an artist, musician & activist. If it weren't for that I MIGHT actually like the guy a bit...lol.

-- J

jimmycrackcorn
03-01-2007, 05:53 PM
a donde fueres haz lo que vieres...
wherever you go do as the others do...

Lazaro
03-02-2007, 09:40 AM

idiot

David_w
03-05-2007, 06:02 AM
idiot

Why the fuck am I an idiot? I was asking one single question cause I'm curious and that makes me an idiot?

hangthedj112
03-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Why the fuck am I an idiot? I was asking one single question cause I'm curious and that makes me an idiot?

Because the Mexicans hang around K-mart, not walmart.

RODGERRAMJET
03-05-2007, 08:19 AM
And Home Depot.

invisiblerobots
03-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Coachello?

David_w
03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
You guys are too pathetic. :) Fuck this thread and you. I have no idea what the fuck has happened to this forum, people seemed nice to eachother like two months ago.. but now. :S Yeah, dickheads.

SubBass49
03-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Guys...be easy on him...he's from Denmark for christ's sake! Just because he doesn't already know everything goin' on in the US doesn't mean you have to be assholes. I was a little irritated too until I found out that little gem of information. But lay off...he really had no way of knowing.

maxine123
03-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks for clarifying that "America" thing

PS - Tijuana makes me happy too

lmwhitter
03-19-2007, 09:47 AM
"they made interracial marriage legal" ?!?!? OMG, I wasn't aware of that, so that means my GranPa who was greek and my GranMa who was mexican were straight up breaking the law and could have been prosecuted? Sh--t! They made really pretty mexican babies and grandbabies!!!! It just seems outrageous that something like this would have to be "approved" of legally.

BeeII
03-19-2007, 12:14 PM
to answer the original poster's question, and to get back on topic, people do in fact speak english in the area surrounding coachella, Southern California has a large latino population, but its been like that for decades and decades (this was a part of mexico in the not too distant past).

you will be fine.

David_w
03-20-2007, 01:37 PM
to answer the original poster's question, and to get back on topic, people do in fact speak english in the area surrounding coachella, Southern California has a large latino population, but its been like that for decades and decades (this was a part of mexico in the not too distant past).

you will be fine.

Thank you so much for the answer. :)

breakjaw
03-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Muchas gracias por las flores hermosas, la tarjeta, y el osito de juguete. Era una sorpresa maravillosa. Las amos y voy a echar de menos a ustedes. Siempre hacen mis días más agradable. Espero que puedo trabajar con ustedes otra vez en enero.