PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me about Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver

keriann
07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Cool things to see? Inexpensive but not horrible places to stay? Delicious places to eat? I'll be staying in each city 2-3 days in August. Thank you in advance.

Yablonowitz
07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm going to be on the Oregon coast next week.

Portland is the coolest city in the country. Although I hear rumors that Vancouver is very nice. Seattle is also a nice town.

Yablonowitz
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Do not accidentally get on the wrong road and find yourself in the tri-cities of Washington.

That would be like a humpback fail.

sonofhal
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
All 3 are cool cities. In Vancouver, you have to try Loita's South Of The Border Cantina - Me and Stef went there in May and it was the best food i had on the whole trip.

http://lolitasrestaurant.com/

locachica73
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
I was raised around Portland but I prefer Seattle. I haven't been back to Portland in 10 years really but I do know they have some amazing brew pubs there if you like beer. Seattle has Pike Street Market down on the pier, that is always a must see. And there is a seafood restaraunt right off the pier I can't remember the exact name but it was something crab shack(about a block down from Pike Street Market), they boil crab legs, lobster tails, corn, all the fixins and dump it on the table in front of you on newspaper and give you a mallet. Very tasty and probably the best clam chowder I have ever had as well. I have never been to Vancouver but we did take the hydrofoil ferry from Seattle to Victoria Canada and that was an awesome day trip so if you have the chance I recommend it.

downingthief
07-23-2008, 12:25 PM
3 of my all time favorite cities. Sooooo jealous.

Yabs, where on the coast? Love that part of the country. Lincoln City, Astoria, etc. Great little towns.

keriann
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Oh also I'm flying there and wondering if it'd be better to rent a car to get between cities or take the train? I won't really need a car within the cities, will I?

wmgaretjax
07-23-2008, 12:27 PM
There are a couple of threads with recommendations already.

I will throw a new one in though. In Seattle, grab breakfast at Portage Bay cafe if you can. Their all organic menu is fucking delicious and it's perfect for a late breakfast.

downingthief
Oh also I'm flying there and wondering if it'd be better to rent a car to get between cities or take the train? I won't really need a car within the cities, will I?

I would personally get the car. There are a number of side trips to take in all three areas.

locachica73
Lincoln City is my favorite beach town, although the ocean is way too cold to get in, and depot bay down the road is great for whale watching and shopping. Probably the thing I miss most about living in Oregon.

keriann
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
There are a couple of threads with recommendations already.

I will throw a new one in though. In Seattle, grab breakfast at Portage Bay cafe if you can. Their all organic menu is fucking delicious and it's perfect for a late breakfast.

Thank you. Do you happen to remember what the old threads were called? Did a quick search and didn't find anything and I've been waaaay out of the loop here.

Young blood
07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Tillamook cheese factory. squeaky cheese.

Cannon beach also, check out the art.

sonofhal
07-23-2008, 12:32 PM

We didn't drive anywhere within the cities, but you might want to get a car if you want to head to some of the surrounding sights, like this one just 20 mins drive outside of Portland.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v289/191/24/665226998/n665226998_1268610_2938.jpg

chairmenmeow47
07-23-2008, 12:33 PM
all of these cities are awesome; however i've never spent more than a day or two in each. have fun :)

keriann
07-23-2008, 12:33 PM
We didn't drive anywhere within the cities, but you might want to get a car if you want to head to some of the surrounding sights, like this one just 20 mins drive outside of Portland.

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v289/191/24/665226998/n665226998_1268610_2938.jpg

what/where is that? I WANT TO GO THERE.

Young blood
07-23-2008, 12:36 PM
In Vancouver check out Granville Island Public Market then take an aquabus somewhere. Its a great way to see the city.

Yablonowitz
07-23-2008, 12:38 PM
what/where is that? I WANT TO GO THERE.

Munultamah Falls I think is what it's called. Absolutely beautiful.

Sean - we'll be in Rockaway Beach near Cannon Beach.

sonofhal
07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Munultamah Falls I think is what it's called. Absolutely beautiful.

http://www.multnomahfalls.org/

TomAz
07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Vancouver is amazing.

Seattle is nice. I was there last week. Good meals to be had at Dahlia, Wild Ginger, Shuckers, and Purple.

wmgaretjax
07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Vancouver is amazing.

Seattle is nice. I was there last week. Good meals to be had at Dahlia, Wild Ginger, Shuckers, and Purple.

Purple is very nice. A little yuppie, but nice. The Dahlia lounge is also really good (same pseudo-complaint though).

If that is your style, there is a great bar called Vessel downtown that has an extraordinary bartender.

TomAz
07-23-2008, 12:45 PM
I meant the food was good.

wmgaretjax
07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Thank you. Do you happen to remember what the old threads were called? Did a quick search and didn't find anything and I've been waaaay out of the loop here.

seattle (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20614&highlight=seattle)

Yablonowitz
http://www.multnomahfalls.org/

I am the spelling butcher. I will fuck a word up at the drop of a hat.

wmgaretjax
I meant the food was good.

as opposed to the decor (which is also good at the Dahlia and Purple)?

menikmati
07-23-2008, 01:03 PM
N4737.17432, W12216.90344

TomAz
07-23-2008, 01:03 PM
as opposed to the clientele. the "yuppies".

kreutz2112
07-23-2008, 01:08 PM
There is a restaurant/bar in Portland called Boulevard cafe. We ate there 3 days in a row for lunch. They had excellent seafood and great drinks. Get a bloody mary.

wmgaretjax
07-23-2008, 01:10 PM
as opposed to the clientele. the "yuppies".

Ah. Yes. The yuppies.

fiyahhh!
07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Portland = Powell's Bookstore

rage patton
07-23-2008, 01:16 PM
In Vancouver check out Granville Island Public Market then take an aquabus somewhere. Its a great way to see the city.

There is lots to see on Granville Island, definately check it out.

Also, Science World is a pretty fun place. It is pretty cheap and right beside a skytrain station. It looks kind of like a giant golf ball and usually has cool interactive exhibits inside. It is always changing, so I don't know what is featured there... but I bet it is damn cool.

If you are in the Kitsilano area, check out the restaurant Las Margaritas. Great food. Also, right across the street is Zulu Records. The best record/CD store you are going to find in Vancouver. A little walk down the street is a decent beach as well. As far as Vancouver beaches go anyways.

cansei de ser sexme
07-23-2008, 01:19 PM
find serious pie in seattle.

thewindowliquor
07-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I lived in Vancouver for a couple years. It is the best city in the world, IMO. I only moved because my student visa was up, and Canada wouldn't let my dirty american ass stay in their glorious city.

Anyway, Hastings street is where you will find drugs, if that's what you're looking for. There's a place right upstairs from the Amsterdam Cafe where you can buy herb. Look for the signs that say "Buzz."

The Cambie is a pretty good hostel/bar. If you're looking for a cheap place to sleep and/or get drunk, it's tough to do much better than this.

Other than that, Granville is kind of the main drag of downtown. Pretty much every part of the city can be accessed via the Skytrain, which is cheap and great. Gastown is another cool part of town. There's a club called Shine there that I used to go to a lot... it's kind of a shitty club, but whatever.

If you have time, you should also check out Granville Island. There are some microbreweries, if you're into that.

wmgaretjax
07-23-2008, 01:23 PM

I second this. Run by the same guy that owns Dahlia.

fatbastard
07-23-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't even know where to begin.

mountmccabe
07-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Portland = Powell's Bookstore

Yes. The biggest/bestest new/used bookstore I've ever seen. It's like the Amoeba of bookstores except that it's bigger than Amoeba. It's bigger than most (non-gigantic university) libraries I've been to.

In Seattle I really liked Broadway Grill (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&q=broadway+grill&near=seattle&ie=UTF8&ll=47.623232,-122.324438&spn=0.035231,0.075188&t=h&z=14&iwloc=A).

Seattle has a lot of good record stores like Easy Street and Sonic Boom.

The scenery around there is really pretty. I really enjoyed driving between these three cities. Very scenic. Very green.

They almost didn't let us into Canada even though we had our Radiohead tickets and our hotel paid for and some cash on us. They thought we were going to go into the country and mooch off their system. Then I found some ATM stubs and showed them and they let us in. This is why you should never ever throw anything away. The end.

wmgaretjax
07-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes. The biggest/bestest new/used bookstore I've ever seen. It's like the Amoeba of bookstores except that it's bigger than Amoeba. It's bigger than most (non-gigantic university) libraries I've been to.

In Seattle I really liked Broadway Grill (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&q=broadway+grill&near=seattle&ie=UTF8&ll=47.623232,-122.324438&spn=0.035231,0.075188&t=h&z=14&iwloc=A).

Seattle has a lot of good record stores like Easy Street and Sonic Boom.

A great bookstore in Seattle is the Elliot Bay Book Company.

Broadway Grill is nice because the serve food until 2.

Two other good record stores Everyday Music and Wall of Sound (my favorite, small but lots of strange rare stuff).

Hannahrain
07-23-2008, 07:28 PM
I second Elliot Bay Books and Powells, and recommend that you also make a side trip to Eugene so we can have lunch and you can have your picture taken sexually harassing a bronze Ken Kesey in the middle of downtown. You know you want to.

Sidenote: The statue is of him reading to children. How bad of a parent do you have to be to leave your children with Ken Kesey? Lord.

comiddle
07-23-2008, 07:36 PM
You totally don't need a car in any of them.

Vancouver
Wreck Beach
Stanley Park
Grouse Mountain
The Elbow Room
VAG
Robson Street
Gastown

If you're looking at a sweet place to stay that's cheap/central check out the Cambie (previously mentioned though in a sorta sketch area) or an HI hostel (I prefer Downtown over Central as it's not ON a main street). HI Jericho Beach is a little bit away from everything (except Jericho Beach). The Samesun is sweet too, but is directly across from HI Central and thus on a busy street (Granville).

HI Downtown is a block from Davie Street and maybe a 5min walk from the bay where you can catch a water taxi to Granville Island. Do the Granville Island Brewery tour. It's like $12 and at the end you get to sample the stock (if there's a small group you get to over sample the stock).

Get a haircut at The Chop Shop on Granville. They're sweet.

Geno_g
07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
When in seattle, you should go to Capital Hill, it is sick, and look for a bar called the Stumbling Monk, they are a Belgium bar only serving Belgium beer, some of the beers I have never seen or heard of...

wmgaretjax
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
When in seattle, you should go to Capital Hill, it is sick, and look for a bar called the Stumbling Monk, they are a Belgium bar only serving Belgium beer, some of the beers I have never seen or heard of...

They sometimes have Hoegarden here on tap, which always makes me happy.

Another bar on the hill I like is The Hideout... It's always hard to recommend bars to people you don't know though...

mountmccabe
07-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Two other good record stores Everyday Music and Wall of Sound (my favorite, small but lots of strange rare stuff).

Everyday Music. That's the other one I was thinking of. Cool. I don't know/haven't heard about Wall of Sound, though.

boarderwoozel3
07-23-2008, 08:49 PM
A great bookstore in Seattle is the Elliot Bay Book Company.

Broadway Grill is nice because the serve food until 2.

Broadway Grill serves grub until 3am on the weekends.

Add Silver Platters to your Seattle record shop stops.

boarderwoozel3
07-23-2008, 08:58 PM
The most "Coachella friendly" area of Seattle is definitely Capitol Hill. Lots of Hipsters and Indie kids so naturally, most of the establishments cater to that crowd. On that note, feel free to avoid pioneer square. It’s full of douche-bags and their douche-baggy establishments that are overpriced to begin with, charge covers and then jip you on booze and just suck in general.

While up on Capitol Hill in Seattle you must, MUST eat at Honey Hole! It’s a sandwich shop, it’s amazing, and by amazing I mean completely epic.

marooko
07-23-2008, 09:37 PM

fucking rofl. rofl house over here ight now.

invisiblerobots
07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
My favorite bar on Capitol Hill is Bleu Bistro. I highly recommend it if you like strong drinks and weird secret booths.

http://thestranger.com/seattle/Location?location=24544

cansei de ser sexme
07-23-2008, 09:56 PM
i did the exact same trip last year. Portland to Seattle to Vancouver. Serious Pie was seriously awesome. also there was some little tea place in pikes place market that was really good for breakfast. ah yes here it is. awesome crumpet shop (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-crumpet-shop-seattle)
i really loved every crumpet there.

and serious pie
the key to your visit to Seattle. (http://www.tomdouglas.com/serious/)

cansei de ser sexme
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
and when i was in vancouver there was some fireworks spectacular. that was crazy. i have no idea how i was lucky enough to stumble on it but yeah. and holy shit i almost forgot. crazy seafood place in vancouver. best ever. OMG lemme find a link. shit i cant find it. anyone wanna help? it had awesome oysters and seafood...best fried oyster i have ever had? its two stories, casual... anyone know?

invisiblerobots
07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
i did the exact same trip last year. Portland to Seattle to Vancouver. Serious Pie was seriously awesome. also there was some little tea place in pikes place market that was really good for breakfast. ah yes here it is. awesome crumpet shop (http://www.tomdouglas.com/serious/)
i really loved every crumpet there.

and serious pie
the key to your visit to Seattle. (http://www.tomdouglas.com/serious/)

Hey, your crumpet link goes to serious! Not that it doesn't deserve a dual recommendation. Their Yukon Gold pizza is the bomb.

cansei de ser sexme
07-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Fixed!

this may belong in the confessions section but i got a t-shirt from serious pie.... and i lost it :(

boarderwoozel3
07-23-2008, 10:07 PM
I hope your referring to The Crumpet Shop on 1st and Pike. Those crumpets are very tasty, I recommend them.

invisiblerobots
07-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Fixed!

this may belong in the confessions section but i got a t-shirt from serious pie.... and i lost it :(

Aw, I've looked at those shirts too.

http://www.tomdouglas.com/images/serious/Seriouspie_sidebara.gif

It looks like that little man stood too close to the pizza oven.

Hannahrain
07-23-2008, 10:35 PM
There's a small shop here called "Tea and Crumpets". Everyone was very excited when they put up their sign, because we lack cute little teahouses in this town. Then, when they opened, it turned out that they were just being cute and it was a dumpy little thrift shop akin to the ones on every other block. Fuck Tea and Crumpets.

boarderwoozel3
07-23-2008, 10:37 PM
^
I always thought you lived in so-cal. Interesting.

bakersfield
07-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Cannon Beach is an amazing spot.
A wonderful, unspoiled piece of the coast.
I wish I was there right now....

I am heading up to Idaho friday.
My boy qualified for a national skateboarding contest in McCall.
Looks kind of remote...2 hours up from Boise.
Never been to Idaho.....
Anyone have any suggestions for Mc Call or Boise?

Hannahrain
07-23-2008, 10:45 PM
^
I always thought you lived in so-cal. Interesting.

When I joined the board, I was living in San Francisco. You're not quite half-right, but maybe an eighth.

boarderwoozel3
07-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Fair enough.

Still, The Crumpet Shop is wonderful.

keriann
07-24-2008, 12:19 AM
You guys are amazing. Thank you so much for all of the advice.

wmgaretjax
07-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Again, I agree with the Honeyhole, Bleu Bistro, and Crumpet Shop recommendations (while you are in pike place some mac n cheese from Beecher's is a must).

Also, I will undoubtedly affirm that if you do go to Serious Pie, you must get the Yukon Gold Pizza...

Courtney
05-26-2011, 04:50 PM
I am bumping this thread out of the abyss of 2008.

I will be visiting the Pacific NW from July 1 through July 10. Tell me about things to do in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver please. But specifically about Vancouver because I have never been there before.

I'm especially interested in (1) artsy things like galleries and museums, (2) interesting, healthy or ethnic dining options under $20 per person, (3) places that might make especially awesome photographs, and (4) good music.

Woooohooooo.

wmgaretjax
05-26-2011, 05:04 PM
western bridge (http://www.westernbridge.org/) has a show that looks good. i'm gonna try and check out the opening tomorrow, so I'll let you know if I make it.

not sure what the lawrimore project (http://www.lawrimoreproject.com/lp/Right_Now.html) is doing in july, but his shows are normally really compelling.

Courtney
05-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Jared, awesome, thank you. Do let me know if/when you know more.