PDA

View Full Version : Daft Punk is garbage ass electro!!

marooko
07-21-2008, 03:20 PM
You seriously have lost your little mind. Daft Punk is garbage ass electro?? Start a thread with that as your title so we can all bash you all day. You fail at life!

I VOTE DAFT MAINSTAGE 09!!!!

Here you are fuckface.

Your an Idiot!!

^ this is what followed. ^

I tried yo listen to their alive set and i couldnt get past track 6. i dont care what the hell was going on with a pyramid a light show, whatever the fucking case, i just dont like daft punk and or what they play.

if you spray perfume on a piece of shit, its still a piece of shit. to me, this is a piece of shit. now thats not to say whoever likes them is shit, im just saying i whole heartedly dislike daft punk. i couldnt imagine sitting through the video i downloaded. and i wont.

now go ahead children, have your fun.

wmgaretjax
07-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Daft Punk is boring.

menikmati
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Homework and Discovery are great albums. You had to be in that Sahara tent in 2006.

thinnerair
07-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I've never seen them but I hear that Daft Punk puts on a very entertaining show. That's what I hear....from everyone I've ever fucking met.

marooko
07-21-2008, 03:36 PM
i would have rather been in the Sahara desert.

thinnerair
07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
People I no longer speak to forced me to put up with She Wants Revenge instead of checking out Daft Punk. Bad decisions lead to a life full of regret.

menikmati
07-21-2008, 03:39 PM
That's pretty bad.

TickleMeElmo
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
You act like someone gives a shit.

BlackSwan
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
not as bad as MSTRKRFT.

bluemamba
07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey dont call me fuckface thats not cool. ... anyways i wish youd put this on the artist section. Let me show you a clip of their performance in 06. ill let that speak for now. Would you not have a good time at a show like this??

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9a5dBJDz2vs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9a5dBJDz2vs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

menikmati
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Seeing Daft for the first time in the Sahara is probably alway's gonna be my favorite Coachella moment (and will probably only be topped if somehow someway BoC get their butts out here). It was just everything of this being their first show live in like what, 7-8 years? Nobody knew if they were gonna be dressed as robots or not...there was just so much hype, mystery, and tension, it was great. At most, I was expecting that MAYBE they were gonna be in the suits and maybe behind a table that would light up while they played, I expected nothing more than that.....and then sitting there in the dark after having been in the Sahara for 3 hours already (having seen Cox who was great, and Audio Bullys who were dreadful), and seeing people simply texting "Daft Punk" on their lit up cell phones, then the notes of Close Encounters drops, the curtains go back, and you see this big pyramid and the robots....it was great.

Sure, after almost 2 years of the same show, same set it got a little tiring and boring....but it was still a hell of a show....but they need a big break now, come back in 3 years with something new and fresh and I'll be excited all over again.

amyzzz
07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
I was extremely tired and sober both times I saw Daft Punk live, and I had an excellent time.

BlackSwan
07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Hey dont call me fuckface thats not cool. ... anyways i wish youd put this on the artist section. Let me show you a clip of their performance in 06. ill let that speak for now. Would you not have a good time at a show like this??

bluemamba if you are not going to make a case for why Daft Punk isn't bubble gum fluff then just shut up.

marooko
07-21-2008, 03:47 PM

notice how "YOU'RE" stcuk on the show and not the music.

artist section - be more specific next time.

lets imagine your dick is 9 inches. you got some hot ass chick just fucking slobbing it and choking it down. i mean she going balls deep, looking at you all sexy and shit. fucking awesome show eh? now the music is ice picks in your balls. you having a good time?

thinnerair
07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
did you just quote yourself?

Beef Jerky
07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I hate the song, "One More Time" with a passion.

woogie846
07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Last summer I had a great time when I saw them. However, I don't listen to their albums that much.

BlackSwan
07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
did you just quote yourself?

yep yep.

:winkiss

marooko
07-21-2008, 03:55 PM
i like that...

kreutz2112
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
what erik said.

marooko
07-21-2008, 04:06 PM

kreutz2112
07-21-2008, 04:13 PM
the music was part of the show. they are not mutually exclusive.

BROKENDOLL
07-21-2008, 04:14 PM

lets imagine your dick is 9 inches. you got some hot ass chick just fucking slobbing it and choking it down. i mean she going balls deep, looking at you all sexy and shit. fucking awesome show eh? now the music is ice picks in your balls. you having a good time? Whew! Y'all stand back now! I don't know how big this thing is gonna get! Christ, Daft Punk just gave me a 9inch dick...'nuf said!

wmgaretjax
07-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I was there, it was fun, but their music is boring. I can go out dancing and have fun dancing to a Kylie Minogue song... Doesn't make her the second coming of christ. There is nowhere that Daft Punk is more overrated than this board.

marooko
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
the music was part of the show. they are not mutually exclusive.

my point is people are freaking out about the pyramid.

oh wow, it was so awesome!!

but no one is saying....fuck man, when they dropped that one track, i just couldnt believe it. then the lights....wow!!!

nope, its all about the pyramid.

orbit
07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
i don't think they are garbage ass electro by any means, but i agree that people here praise them too much. in every argument about daft punk, people always bring the live show into the discussion. it'd be interesting if we could get all daft punk fanboys talk more about the music itself instead of what kind of setup they want to see in the next tour.

human after all is a really bad album, btw.

menikmati
07-21-2008, 04:29 PM
not here...I was still a bigger fan of the music than the show. They could of just stood there with a couple laptops blasting out the same musical set, and I would of been just as happy.

thinnerair
07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
not here...I was still a bigger fan of the music than the show. They could of just stood there with a couple laptops blasting out the same musical set, and I would of been just as happy.

i really dont believe that.

Bud Luster
07-21-2008, 04:45 PM
all electro is gargabe ass.

Boourns
07-21-2008, 05:02 PM
The best thing about Human After All is it doesn't have "One More Time"

PineapplePete
07-21-2008, 06:01 PM
http://s3.tinypic.com/acsz8n.jpg

Bosco
07-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I like daft punk. But it has gotten incredibly hard to appreciate their music anymore, considering how overplayed they've been since their performance in 06. It seems like I cant go to a concert without hearing some form of a Daft Punk song.

I still think Alive 1997 album is way better then 07.

jazzz
07-21-2008, 09:44 PM

lets imagine your dick is 9 inches. you got some hot ass chick just fucking slobbing it and choking it down. i mean she going balls deep, looking at you all sexy and shit. fucking awesome show eh? now the music is ice picks in your balls. you having a good time?

Exactly... everyone talks about the fucking pyramid never the music. I mean I don't mind Daft Punk but there is far more interesting electronic music being produced. They are way overrated on this board.

Sexecutioner
07-21-2008, 09:54 PM
my point is people are freaking out about the pyramid.

oh wow, it was so awesome!!

but no one is saying....fuck man, when they dropped that one track, i just couldnt believe it. then the lights....wow!!!

nope, its all about the pyramid.

this is not true. after that show i remember all kinds of people on here saying how amazed they were by how daft sort of re-invented a lot of their songs with the way they mixed them in that set. sure, the pyramid was a huge part of the show, but the music was just as important. i'll admit im not a big fan of their albums. there are a few exceptions, but most of their songs sound pretty repetitive and boring if you ask me. but fuck, i can listen to that set over and over and it still rocks my world.

all that being said, ill agree that they are pretty played out and over-hyped around here. yes, it was an epic set, but its time to move on.

RotationSlimWang
07-21-2008, 10:00 PM
This is such a fucking douchebag thread to start especially after you already had a thread about them to rail away in.

Look, Marooko, I'm sure you listen to only the BEST fucking EDM there is. I'm sure you--who has thus far exhibited no taste in any other form of art or had a particularly incisive moment on any subject whatsoever--listen to much, much better music and have seen much better concerts than the pyramid. Fucking whatever.

I don't give a shit what any of you reactionary cunts who have seen it and want to be too cool for it now that it's all popular or you dumb fucks who didn't see it and want to talk shit nonetheless, but here's the cold hard fact:

That was one of the most brilliant concerts I've ever seen--and any of us will ever see--in our lives. You feel differently, fine, but you're wrong and you're missing out.

jazzz
07-21-2008, 10:12 PM
This is such a fucking douchebag thread to start especially after you already had a thread about them to rail away in.

Look, Marooko, I'm sure you listen to only the BEST fucking EDM there is. I'm sure you--who has thus far exhibited no taste in any other form of art or had a particularly incisive moment on any subject whatsoever--listen to much, much better music and have seen much better concerts than the pyramid. Fucking whatever.

I don't give a shit what any of you reactionary cunts who have seen it and want to be too cool for it now that it's all popular or you dumb fucks who didn't see it and want to talk shit nonetheless, but here's the cold hard fact:

That was one of the most brilliant concerts I've ever seen--and any of us will ever see--in our lives. You feel differently, fine, but you're wrong and you're missing out.

so your saying you liked it better then She Wants Revenge?

RotationSlimWang
07-21-2008, 10:15 PM
That mix? Yes. On album, actually, no.

=)

jazzz
07-21-2008, 10:24 PM
That mix? Yes. On album, actually, no.

=)

and about that brilliant concert you were at... who was it you were talking about. I forget. ;-)

RotationSlimWang
07-21-2008, 10:27 PM
LA Sports Arena and Vegoose. Look, I missed the Coachella show, fucking whatever. All the more reason that I don't give a shit about the "magic of that night in the Sahara Tent" bullshit. I saw that shit once in an arena and once at a festival and it was just as entertaining as any show I've ever seen both times. THAT'S why it's not just some one-off jerking of cock that you can dismiss offhand.

It was one truly great work. And that's all any artist can ever hope for, and all it requires to have been great. If the only amazing concert Pink Floyd ever performed had been The Wall tour it would still be an absolutely legendary show. Fuck it.

jazzz
07-21-2008, 10:32 PM
come on I had to mess with you. If it makes you feel better just know The Last Great Man missed it as well. LOL

woogie846
07-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I missed the Coachella show too, because my dumbass friend got sick from eating a bad hotdog.

However, the LA Sports Arena show blew my mind.

Mr. Dylanja
07-21-2008, 11:23 PM
I thought the set was excellent, damn near flawless as a whole. Song transitions were seamless and the rollercoaster of tempo was great.

For all the haters, just take some drugs next time and shut the fuck up!

rage patton
07-22-2008, 12:05 AM
I don't think Daft Punk are the second comming of Christ, but I have seen them twice and I really enjoyed them. I would see them again any time in an instant if I got the chance. I also from time to time find myself listening to Discovery.

captncrzy
07-22-2008, 05:52 AM
Koo, I don't buy or listen to their albums...but they were pretty fucking fantastic live. If anything else, going to their show is simply a good time. You know? You don't have to worship them to have fun.

marooko
07-22-2008, 07:19 AM
all electro is gargabe ass.

now you're just being stupid.

For all the haters, just take some drugs next time and shut the fuck up!

thats why you like them, you dont know any better cause youre fucked up.

Koo, I don't buy or listen to their albums...but they were pretty fucking fantastic live. If anything else, going to their show is simply a good time. You know? You don't have to worship them to have fun.

see, this i can appreciate. but the attitude that they're the be all end all of electronic music is just plain insanity. like mentioned before, there are so many acts that arent known that would just blow them away musically.

im not saying the show wasnt good, im saying daft punk isnt as good as the show. creatively, musically. i mean come on, most of you posting admit to not even owning or really listening to their music. that says it all.

TomAz
07-22-2008, 07:22 AM
daft punk is some of the cheesiest crap out there.

Young blood
07-22-2008, 07:41 AM
YES! A daft punk thread 2 years later! Way to go internets!

BROKENDOLL
07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
YES! A daft punk thread 2 years later! Way to go internets! Psst, it's Robots, Youngblood. Robots.

fatbastard
07-22-2008, 10:26 AM

It sickens me to say this but he's absolutely right.

TomAz
07-22-2008, 10:30 AM
YES! A daft punk thread 2 years later! Way to go internets!

Ten movies streaming across that, that Internet, and what happens to your own personal Internet? I just the other day got... an Internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday, I got it yesterday. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the Internet commercially. They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the Internet. And again, the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

Young blood
07-22-2008, 10:33 AM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc15/Domining/series_of_tubes.jpg

Wheres the beef?
07-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Ten movies streaming across that, that Internet, and what happens to your own personal Internet? I just the other day got... an Internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday, I got it yesterday. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the Internet commercially. They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the Internet. And again, the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.

Are you drunk? But, yes, the overall point is correct.

Young blood
07-22-2008, 10:49 AM

google is part of the tubes.

SFChrissy
07-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Here you are fuckface.

^ this is what followed. ^

I tried yo listen to their alive set and i couldnt get past track 6. i dont care what the hell was going on with a pyramid a light show, whatever the fucking case, i just dont like daft punk and or what they play.

if you spray perfume on a piece of shit, its still a piece of shit. to me, this is a piece of shit. now thats not to say whoever likes them is shit, im just saying i whole heartedly dislike daft punk. i couldnt imagine sitting through the video i downloaded. and i wont.

now go ahead children, have your fun.Marook...I can totally relate to your statements about DP cause I felt the same in the 90's. To mainstream, no soul, superficial electro beats that dick and jane are getting down to who have no substance to begin with. Whe I realized they were playing at coachella...I was like "ahh, oh well...maybe maybe not"...I have to be honest that as I was walking over to the sahara tent I had no expectations as to what I was in for and ended up having an absolute BLAST and enjoyed one of my favorite moments at coachella!!! I went on to see them at the Grek last year and one of the boardies was so very gracious and generous to burn me a copy of the coachella DVD bootleg which some bitch sticky fingered from me...I have a new level of respect for them because they can create and raise that level of energy and get a crowd (huge crowd) to have that much fun...as far as I'm concerned for someone to have that ability definately commands a certain level of respect.

not as bad as MSTRKRFT.No ephing doubt!!!

TomAz
07-22-2008, 01:37 PM

google is part of the tubes.

maybe I should change my name to TedAk.

marooko
07-22-2008, 01:42 PM
TedAk it is.

Young blood
07-22-2008, 01:44 PM
maybe I should change my name to TedAk.

My uncle is a high ranking colonel, with zero social skills. I flew with him to my grandmas funeral in Spokane where we saw Ted in the airport. My uncle was like a little girl seeing the Beatles. I though he was going to cry after shaking his hand.

sonofhal
07-22-2008, 01:55 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/omegaosx/.Pictures/dead_thread.jpg

sonofhal
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
One of my mates went to see Stereophonics instead of Daft Punk at V97. He still has nightmares about it.

RotationSlimWang
07-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Dylanja is also correct about all electro (house too) basically being garbage anyway. This thread is just silly. You're defending electro but hating on the 2007 set? Whatever.

marooko
07-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Dylanja is also correct about all electro (house too) basically being garbage anyway. This thread is just silly. You're defending electro but hating on the 2007 set? Whatever.

come on dude. thats like saying because daft punk sucks, all electronic music sucks. anyway, i dont like electro house, but i do like house with electro sounds in it. meaning not a full on electro track. but you are correct, electro generally does suck. all around.

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Daft Punk puts on an impressive show. Come on now.. Electronic music to most is a bunch of shit music anyways. Daft Punk is one of the few that has been able to bring a lot of different crowd culture. That is what I think is the most impressive part.

menikmati
05-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Am I the only one who hates this Daft Punk "crowd culture"?

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:20 AM

This "crowd culture" is the 17-50 year olds who all know of Daft Punk. It is hard to find anyone over 30 who has heard of Daft Punk or has gone to a show. Just saying. Besides most electronic music is garbage.

menikmati
05-24-2009, 12:25 AM
This "crowd culture" is the 17-50 year olds who all know of Daft Punk. It is hard to find anyone over 30 who has heard of Daft Punk or has gone to a show. Just saying. Besides most electronic music is garbage.

Wrong on so many levels, in fact what you said doesn't even make sense. The "crowd culture" is 17-50 year olds, yet it's almost impossible to find any DP fans above the age of 30? Do you even remember back to 1996-1997? Daft were around then...I can remember listening to Homework in 7th/8th grade....they had a nice cult fan base back then, whom I'm sure all still remember them. The fan base now these days consist of 16 year old hipsters who have no clue on the history of the group, and strictly know the "pyramid" and their connection to Justice and Ed Banger, it's sad. And if by "most electronic music garbage" you mean "electro", then you're right, yes.

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:26 AM

Do you also hate Daft Punks performances.. The best Dj performance by far? Besides a few other.

menikmati
05-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Do you also hate Daft Punks performances.. The best Dj performance by far? Besides a few other.

I never said I hated Daft Punk nor their performances.

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Wrong on so many levels, in fact what you said doesn't even make sense. The "crowd culture" is 17-50 year olds, yet it's almost impossible to find any DP fans above the age of 30? Do you even remember back to 1996-1997? Daft were around then...I can remember listening to Homework in 7th/8th grade....they had a nice cult fan base back then, whom I'm sure all still remember them. The fan base now these days consist of 16 year old hipsters who have no clue on the history of the group, and strictly know the "pyramid" and their connection to Justice and Ed Banger, it's sad. And if by "most electronic music garbage" you mean "electro", then you're right, yes.

No I agree on all what you have said. But does that mean you agree with the "daft punk is garbage ass electro" blog post?

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:28 AM
I never said I hated Daft Punk nor their performances.

Ah, as I set my beer down... :thu

betao
05-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Besides most electronic music is garbage.

If the only electronic music you're looking into is trance and recent electro/ed banger, then yeah, you'd be correct.

if not, then you are terribly mistaken, or then you just don't like electronic music to begin with.

betao
05-24-2009, 12:45 AM
and i'll say this - daft punk wouldn't be as popular as they are currently if it wasn't for the pyramid show (or some other extravagant visual show of equal proportion). they wouldn't, and you're simply fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

daft punk is well known, yes - they have been well known since the 90s, since homework. but being well known is different than being popular. the chemical brothers are a pretty well known name, but they could they have headlined lolla in 07? no way.

daft punk is popular, and a majority of this is owed to the pyramid. i'd bet money that alot of people (not all, but alot) wouldn't have cared that much if it wasnt for the show.

that being said, i like the mix. it's very creative and well done, very fine blending of songs (the television rules the nation/crescendolls mix is fucking ace).

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:50 AM
If the only electronic music you're looking into is trance and recent electro/ed banger, then yeah, you'd be correct.

if not, then you are terribly mistaken, or then you just don't like electronic music to begin with.

I forget how in tune I have to be to write a post on this forum. Some of you are so on your musical game I wish I won the multi-state lottery worth a ridiculous 300million, seeing about 150 of that, then setting up some small festival with all of you as my promoters and booking agents.

I agree with what you say. I would blow up cinespace. I am Persian.. I would.. But I agree. It's a lack of substance. With technology, Myspace, and all the other resources available to people it has become easier and easier for music to become harder and harder to distinguish its actual worthiness. Anyone can become famous and a hit, for 2 min..Just more and more often now. Especially with electronic music when the growing newcomers trying drugs while going to certain performances, it's only expected to happen.

vogina
05-24-2009, 12:53 AM
and i'll say this - daft punk wouldn't be as popular as they are currently if it wasn't for the pyramid show (or some other extravagant visual show of equal proportion). they wouldn't, and you're simply fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

daft punk is well known, yes - they have been well known since the 90s, since homework. but being well known is different than being popular. the chemical brothers are a pretty well known name, but they could they have headlined lolla in 07? no way.

daft punk is popular, and a majority of this is owed to the pyramid. i'd bet money that alot of people (not all, but alot) wouldn't have cared that much if it wasnt for the show.

that being said, i like the mix. it's very creative and well done, very fine blending of songs (the television rules the nation/crescendolls mix is fucking ace).

True. The show they put on is without a doubt a fantastic one. But they did an AMAZING job remixing. Chemical Brothers, Cyrstal Method, and someone like Miss Kittin. Sometimes a musical group builds on what they have, others fall through the cracks they make by over doing it.

bmack86
05-24-2009, 01:04 AM
It's not the pyramid that remade their career recently. Remember, if you will, the absolute shit reviews that Human After All got. There didn't seem to be one single positive review for that release. However, they showed with the set that those songs fit ably within their catalog. They have a fantastic way of contextualizing their work and making it thrive in a larger field, and it makes them a band worth listening to. They can release songs that seem (and possibly are) weak and undercooked, but they can sell them to us with a fantastic transition and placement.

boarderwoozel3
05-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Here's the deal: I don't give two shits what you think about Daft Punk. Love them, great. Hate them, that's your call. But like any other greats, if you dismiss their skill or influence relative to the rest to the genre, you sir/bitch/woman/womanman/what-the-fuck-ever, are a fool. It's just the facts.

boarderwoozel3
05-24-2009, 01:38 AM

Yes, but production just compliments the music. They could have had the biggest light-gasm in the history of electricity but it wouldn't have been worth a damn if the music wasn't up to par.

SoulDischarge
05-24-2009, 02:12 AM
They're good pop songs. Just took them awhile to become fully fleshed out.

sbessiso
05-24-2009, 06:06 AM
You had to be in that Sahara tent in 2006.

QFT

One of my best Coachella moments :pulse

menikmati
05-24-2009, 09:06 AM
It's not the pyramid that remade their career recently. Remember, if you will, the absolute shit reviews that Human After All got. There didn't seem to be one single positive review for that release. However, they showed with the set that those songs fit ably within their catalog. They have a fantastic way of contextualizing their work and making it thrive in a larger field, and it makes them a band worth listening to. They can release songs that seem (and possibly are) weak and undercooked, but they can sell them to us with a fantastic transition and placement.

It was the pyramid that remade their career.

gaypalmsprings
05-24-2009, 09:18 AM
It was the pyramid that remade their career.

http://toppun.com/Rainbow-Store/Gay-Pride-Pictures/Dawning-of-New-Age-Pyramid-Power-Pink-Triangle.gif

betao
05-24-2009, 09:57 AM
True. The show they put on is without a doubt a fantastic one. But they did an AMAZING job remixing. Chemical Brothers, Cyrstal Method, and someone like Miss Kittin. Sometimes a musical group builds on what they have, others fall through the cracks they make by over doing it.

They did do an amazing job mixing the tracks. That I think is true.

But that's not what gave them hype/popularity after the recent live shows. It was the pyramid.

And I think the Chems mix their music amazingly as well. But we can talk about that one later :)

apart from the first sentence, all of this is pretty much true.

but it's all overlooked unfortunately.

again, its not their skilled mixing that made them popular again. it was the pyramid.

Here's the deal: I don't give two shits what you think about Daft Punk. Love them, great. Hate them, that's your call. But like any other greats, if you dismiss their skill or influence relative to the rest to the genre, you sir/bitch/woman/womanman/what-the-fuck-ever, are a fool. It's just the facts.

I don't hate them at all. I do respect them. They are a somewhat influential name in the world of electronic music.

Yes, but production just compliments the music. They could have had the biggest light-gasm in the history of electricity but it wouldn't have been worth a damn if the music wasn't up to par.

This. I have a notorious reputation for saying this. Tell this to all of the fans of Etienne de Crecy. Shit music but a dazzling show to go with it, and people think its amazing. Making quality music is much harder than coming up with a cool visual show.

BROKENDOLL
05-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Pfft! Now you're both wrong! #1. I'm far from 16. (Really far! LOL) #2. I have every one of their Discs. #3. I don't care about Ed Banger or Justice, but I have taken on a new liking for pyramids!

It was the pyramid that remade their career. The pyramid may have remade their career, but their music changed my life and rocked my world!

marooko
05-24-2009, 10:08 AM
i still dont care for them. at all.

fatbastard
05-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Who do you care for Ko?

hawkingvsreeve
05-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Please close this thread.

Daft Fro
05-24-2009, 10:49 AM

/thread

I must say, a bit disappointing to have such an advocate for FSOL waste their energy...

There is music you can like, without respecting...
There is music you can respecting, without liking...

then there is both... i suppose...

Egull
05-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Hmmm...I personally liked Daft Punk before I saw the pyramid show, so I would say their show has nothing to do with me liking their music. There is not a pyramid with robots when I listen to their cds in my car. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

bmack86
05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Saying the pyramid is what did it is pretty damn cynical, don't you think? The pyramid didn't get people to dance for the entirety of the set, and it didn't get people to sing along to the various hooks they dropped, and it didn't make them go wild when they dropped One More Time or Harder Faster Better Stronger. To say that it did is stupid and reductive. The pyramid is what people will talk about because it's the visual aspect and it's the easiest part to discuss, but the reason people kept going to the show was for the music. If it was just for the pyramid, they'd go to vegas and watch the luxor light up while they danced with their friends to german trance in one of the faceless night clubs there.

hawkingvsreeve
05-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Lovin that German trance.

BROKENDOLL
05-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Hmmm...I personally liked Daft Punk before I saw the pyramid show, so I would say their show has nothing to do with me liking their music. There is not a pyramid with robots when I listen to their cds in my car. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.
I'll have you know my little Ranger is powered by Daft Punk, thank you very much! As a matter of fact, I've had to refill Homework, Discovery, and Alive due to over-fueling since I became a fan. Coincidently, ever since my CD player died, my truck has run like shit...:nono
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/Dec12_0002-1-1.jpg

bug on your lip
05-26-2009, 06:29 AM
marooko's thin half-assed attempt at a mustache is garbage ass

caco0283
05-26-2009, 07:00 AM
**giggles**

paganman7
05-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Daft Punk = weak ass putos.

Just kidding, they fucking rock.

marooko
05-26-2009, 07:42 AM
They can release songs that seem (and possibly are) weak and undercooked, but they can sell them to us with a fantastic transition and placement.

SOLD!

paganman7
05-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Maroo = weak ass puto.

Just kidding, Maroo fucking rocks.

bug on your lip
05-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Just kidding he sucks

sbessiso
05-26-2009, 07:58 AM
His mustache attempt is adorable

marooko
05-26-2009, 08:11 AM
it was an attempt at 15. its just laziness now.

betao
05-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Saying the pyramid is what did it is pretty damn cynical, don't you think? The pyramid didn't get people to dance for the entirety of the set, and it didn't get people to sing along to the various hooks they dropped, and it didn't make them go wild when they dropped One More Time or Harder Faster Better Stronger. To say that it did is stupid and reductive. The pyramid is what people will talk about because it's the visual aspect and it's the easiest part to discuss, but the reason people kept going to the show was for the music. If it was just for the pyramid, they'd go to vegas and watch the luxor light up while they danced with their friends to german trance in one of the faceless night clubs there.

I still disagree Brian, that pyramid is responsible for the popularity. Let me put it this way - had DP performed with a light/visual show similar to that of Crystal Method's 09 performance, no way in hell it would have been as well received.

People would have danced to it regardless. But they wouldn't have hailed it as the "best electronic act ever" from numerous accounts if it wasn't for the pyramid.

hawkingvsreeve
05-26-2009, 08:45 AM
I am going to flip your argument here. Now if they kept the light show but the music was really fucking terrible, would people go?

Rhetorical. You know the answer.

Gribbz
05-26-2009, 08:47 AM
The Cube was terrible. Terrible music anyway. No light show could have saved that performance.

bug on your lip
05-26-2009, 08:52 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/3504713673_58b540a4e6.jpg

hawkingvsreeve
05-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I enjoyed it. Musically and visually.

betao
05-26-2009, 09:02 AM
I am going to flip your argument here. Now if they kept the light show but the music was really fucking terrible, would people go?

No they wouldn't have gone. Well some might have, but most wouldn't.

But the music isn't terrible, it's good. I believe that people would have still seen DP again even if it wasn't for the pyramid.

But not as many people.

The pyramid gave them the popularity to play venues the size of the Sports Arena and headline Lolla.

oh and to answer your question " if they kept the light show but the music was really fucking terrible, would people go?" well, people did go see Etienne de Crecy this year at coachella after seeing the countless youtubes of that cube, right?

kreutz2112
05-26-2009, 09:06 AM

I enjoyed it. Musically and visually.

Right. So did I.

Can't it be both? It was the music combined with the light show. Who knows how well either would have been received if one aspect was missing. Both were awesome and both are responsible for Daft Punks popularity these days. Whether the music or the light show is more responsible for this popularity seems like a pointless debate to me.

hawkingvsreeve
05-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I dont necessarily think it is one or the other, because it is a combination, but I fully agree with Bryan as well. I think they could play the larger venues even without the pyramid because of the rarity of their performances. I think they played all of the festivals and what not because the logistics of setting the pyramid up in an arena every night is staggering at best.

TomAz
05-26-2009, 09:28 AM

how is that rhetorical?

hahaha.

Gribbz
05-26-2009, 09:32 AM
If I didn't like Daft Punk's music I wouldn't give two shits about a light pyramid.

bug on your lip
05-26-2009, 09:37 AM
i still love that pic where Gribble is doing air drums at that sausage fest

marooko
05-26-2009, 10:12 AM
If I didn't like Daft Punk's music I wouldn't give two shits about a light pyramid.

good call.

i DONT like their music. so their transitions, light shows, performances and the way they sell their music means absolutely nothing to me.