PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Help needed

gaypalmsprings
07-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I just bought my first Ipod....an 80 gb Classic 6th gen. When I synced it, most of the mp3s that I saved to my puter via Real Player (from my 500 CDs) are not playing well. After a few seconds, they skip to the next song. The ones downloaded from iTunes play just fine.

I've search the interwebs & apparently it's a problem that many are having. Has anyone had this problem & successfully resolved it?

menikmati
07-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi,
I too have had the same problem with many of my ripped albums as well. I looked everywhere for an answer but I couldn't find any appropriate solution.

But I think I may have found an answer to this problem. The problem may lie in the ID3 tags of your ripped mp3. For some reason, the ipod doesn't like certain types (or versions?) of the ID3 tags. Or it may be that the ipod doesn't like the way your ripping program is setting up the tags.

The solution is quite simple:
1) In Itunes, select the songs in your ipod that are not playing properly.
2) Select one or many of them and right click to "Convert ID3 Tags".
3) Check the ID3 tag version box and select a version in the pull-down. (I normally select v2.3 but I don't really know what's the difference between each version).

Now everything should be working. It fixed all of my albums that had this problem! This could be why playing the song in itunes for 5 sec may fix it. I'm guessing itunes would try to "fix/convert" the id tag when you play it. I've never actually tried that method before.

Hope this helps!

Maybe that.

gaypalmsprings
07-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks. My files are already v.2.3 - any other thoughts?

cansei de ser sexme
07-19-2008, 11:10 AM
My iPod got wet and turns on but always has the hold button on. i have tried restoring factory settings, prying out the hold button and fixing it, and searched multiple sights. i am too lazy to bring it into the store, anybody care to help?

disgustipated
07-20-2008, 07:08 AM
I would, but I'm too lazy.

TomAz
07-20-2008, 07:15 AM
My iPod got wet and turns on but always has the hold button on. i have tried restoring factory settings, prying out the hold button and fixing it, and searched multiple sights. i am too lazy to bring it into the store, anybody care to help?

you can open it and disconnect the hold button. and then put it back together.

opening it can be a little tricky the first time though. so can putting it back together. maybe you should just go to the store.

MissingPerson
07-20-2008, 09:17 AM
If it's still under warranty, Store, Store, go to the Store. There's a good chance they'll be able to tell it got wet, but it's worth a try. For God's sake don't open it unless you're absolutely positive it can't be repaired under warranty. Apple are all smiles and sweetness if they think it's covered, but if they see it's opened, they'll take great pleasure in charging you a shitload to repair it, and being as unhelpful as humanly possible. Ask them how much a repair might cost before you let them do it. If it's going to cost a freakin' fortune, then yeah, you've nothing to lose by opening it yourself, but ask first.

Gaypalmsprings, I've asked around, and I honestly don't know what's going on with that. All I can suggest is re-ripping as much as you can with iTunes rather than Real Player. IPods are picky bitches when it comes to what they'll play, but using iTunes ("Stop asking me to fucking sync! No! Stop trying to fucking sync everything! Argh!") is less fun than torture. Actual torture.

gaypalmsprings
07-20-2008, 09:27 AM
torture is a great word - it isn't as user friendly as a mac - thanks for asking around

menikmati
07-20-2008, 09:32 AM
how about take a fucking hammer to those ipods and ESPECIALLY iTunes, and instead get yourself a cowon device?

MissingPerson
07-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Used to work in a shop that sold iPods, and the only thing more user-unfriendly than iTunes is Apple's vendor helpline. We had to call them at least once a day, and we could be on hold anything up to an hour, an hour of Coldplay hold music, and then they still probably wouldn't help us. They never had any idea what the hell we were talking about, and their attitude to their customers stinks.

They couldn't tell us how somebody without Broadband was supposed to get iTunes so they could use the machine they'd just paid 300 quid for, but they could tell us that they stopped including the software with them to make the packaging look nicer.

I hate Apple in a very real and personal way.

Creative Zen ftw. Harder to find accessories, and the user interface is a little clumsier, but man, it will play nearly anything and their reps are a million times easier to deal with.

Although iPods are infinitely more attractive pieces of kit.

menikmati
07-20-2008, 09:37 AM
The Cowon D2 is a sexy device....I would suggest people start looking into them.

MissingPerson
07-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Doesn't help gaypalmsprings, though. :D

Does it always skip on from exactly the same point in each track?

gaypalmsprings
07-20-2008, 09:57 AM
Doesn't help gaypalmsprings, though. :D

Does it always skip on from exactly the same point in each track?

Different points across songs. But always the same place for each song. Searching the nets says to convert to AAC files (from MP3) or reburn the CDs via iTunes. At 500 CDs, I'm not thrilled about either. Apparently older models did not have this problem. Sucks.

menikmati
07-20-2008, 10:02 AM
A) Don't convert mp3's top ACC, that is just stupid, and you're reencoding each song so you lose quality, plus it takes a lot of time.

Gay, is this the first time you've used iTunes? Did you install it just now as you got your iPod? I've read, that simply playing each of the songs (the ones you ripped to mp3 via realplayer) in iTunes for about 5 seconds each, and then resyncing them all back onto your iPod (so empty your iPod so you can resync it) may work. Try it at least.

gaypalmsprings
07-20-2008, 10:05 AM
This is my first time with iPod, not iTunes. I'll try your strategy for a few songs. I have about 8000 tracks ripped, so the 5-sec's add up. Thanks.

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 10:41 AM
They couldn't tell us how somebody without Broadband was supposed to get iTunes so they could use the machine they'd just paid 300 quid for, but they could tell us that they stopped including the software with them to make the packaging look nicer.

And to stop wasting resources and creating more waste right?

Not every company is concerned about catering to everyone in the world, that's what MSFT is for right? Apple or MSFT bashing is yawn...

It's easy to forget how awful MP3 players were before V2 iPod. If anything, Apple introduced some proper competition into the market. Thank god for that... And thank God for MSFT and Amazon for introducing competition into MP3 music stores. HOpefully everyone else starts to wise up.

suprefan
07-20-2008, 10:50 AM
This is yet another reason why I wont buy an ipod(if ever) for even a longer time.

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 10:53 AM
hey gay, if that works i will write an apple script for you that will do it for you automatically.

MissingPerson
07-20-2008, 11:37 AM
And to stop wasting resources and creating more waste right?

That's not the reason we were given by our Apple rep. He told us they were dropping the discs to make the packaging nicer. Just like I said.

And even then, if they had let us burn iTunes to discs as customers required, that would have been fine. They didn't. They didn't offer any solution, nor did they offer any facility for customers who had purchased an iPod, only to discover they couldn't use it, to return the unit. This country has large stretches of broadbandless rural territory, but we've got a lot of disposable income and we buy a lot of iPods. Ditching the discs made my job - of selling, and then telling people they couldn't return, iPods - infinitely more painful than it had to be.

Apple a) Should have forseen this and provided for it, b) Should have offered some sort of fix to it once it became apparent, or c) Shouldn't have treated me and my coworkers like shit whenever we asked them what the hell we were supposed to do.

And they did. They were ridiculously unpleasant to us. Every single aspect of dealing with Apple was more complicated and obnoxious than it needed to be, and I sold a few thousand quid worth of their products every day for three years.

If I ever meet Steve Jobs, I'm going to punch his damn lights out.

shakermaker113
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
All I can suggest is re-ripping as much as you can with iTunes rather than Real Player.

ugh. use itunes as little as possible. if you have to re-rip, re-rip with another piece of software.

Searching the nets says to convert to AAC files (from MP3)

you certainly don't want to do that.

ipods are great. itunes sucks. you can also try installing third party firmware on the ipod, which means you won't need itunes at all. but I don't know if there is any for the ipod classic yet.

ThomThom
07-20-2008, 11:44 AM
This is yet another reason why I wont buy an ipod(if ever) for even a longer time.

I think you hold out on technology and maintain your elderly ways just to say that you are old school. All it does is make you even more lame Chris. Everything malfunctions at least a few times. I have only started having some minor issues with my ipod now and I have had it for over 4 years, which I think is pretty good.

ThomThom
07-20-2008, 11:47 AM
My only issue right now is I am having some serious problems getting any itunes purchases to work on my ipod. Whenever I select an album or track that was purchased through itunes my ipod freezes up for a few minutes and resets itself. Anybody know what the hell is going on?

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 01:46 PM
To be honest I would probably me rude to people who failed to understand why apple has no interest in catering to dial up customers as well. Look at apples target market. They have no obligation to reach outside it. For better or worse. I for one am glad. It's nice to have companies who are not so concerned with reaching backwards.

menikmati
07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
iTunes has to be the shittiest piece of software ever wrote. Apple seriously had their head up their ass when they were developing the latest versions. In fact, Apple pretty much sucks when it comes to any type of programming.

MissingPerson
07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Dude, seriously. I'm not a luddite or an idiot. I get why they wouldn't be wholly interested in a market that's not going to be so profitable for them after the initial sale.

That absolutely no excuse for piss-poor customer service.

That's one example, and it was the one which gave me the most headaches, but I didn't even mention the time they sent about 2 thousand quids worth of iPods we'd sent back to them for repair to some random old lady's house in Scotland. Or the other grand and a half's worth that they delivered to a pub down the road. They tried to blame us for both of those, by the way, and for that kind of money, people can lose their jobs. We had customers taking us to court over them, and their returns policy was so dementedly obtuse that their own reps couldn't understand it.

They threatened to delay supplies to us over Christmas because we failed to complete a special online training course, which we couldn't do in the first place because the website wasn't working, and couldn't report because we couldn't get through to the helpline.

We had the whole block's sewage leak into our basement once, I've had junkies collapse in a fountain of vomit in the middle of my shop floor. On more than one occasion, I've had customers threaten to kill me. I can truly and honestly say that Apple were the single most consistently unpleasant aspect of the job.

iPods are great and all, but Christ help you if you need after-purchase help. Apple certainly won't.

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 04:06 PM
iTunes has to be the shittiest piece of software ever wrote. Apple seriously had their head up their ass when they were developing the latest versions. In fact, Apple pretty much sucks when it comes to any type of programming.

yawn... ignorant, ill-informed hyperbole. Itunes has it's problems, but it's also revolutionized media organization and multiple device integration (the iPhone is the perfect example of what iTunes is capable of). "Sucks when it comes to any type of programming" is exactly the kind of statement that naive, amateur and would-be programmers make. Boring, tired hyperbole.

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Dude, seriously. I'm not a luddite or an idiot. I get why they wouldn't be wholly interested in a market that's not going to be so profitable for them after the initial sale.

That absolutely no excuse for piss-poor customer service.

That's one example, and it was the one which gave me the most headaches, but I didn't even mention the time they sent about 2 thousand quids worth of iPods we'd sent back to them for repair to some random old lady's house in Scotland. Or the other grand and a half's worth that they delivered to a pub down the road. They tried to blame us for both of those, by the way, and for that kind of money, people can lose their jobs. We had customers taking us to court over them, and their returns policy was so dementedly obtuse that their own reps couldn't understand it.

They threatened to delay supplies to us over Christmas because we failed to complete a special online training course, which we couldn't do in the first place because the website wasn't working, and couldn't report because we couldn't get through to the helpline.

We had the whole block's sewage leak into our basement once, I've had junkies collapse in a fountain of vomit in the middle of my shop floor. On more than one occasion, I've had customers threaten to kill me. I can truly and honestly say that Apple were the single most consistently unpleasant aspect of the job.

iPods are great and all, but Christ help you if you need after-purchase help. Apple certainly won't.

I have had nothing but great experience (post-purchase) with Apple, but then again, I went to an Apple store instead of some third party joint that tries to blame Apple for shipping botches that could just as easily be a shipping agency's mistake.

EDIT: post-purchase encounters such as replacing devices out of warranty, replacing accessories, repairing devices even though it was my fault they broke (which they knew). It's a big company and experiences are guaranteed to be diverse, but the local stores in the NW that I've been to have been great.

There is no doubt that Apple has kind of an old-school approach to the whole system, and it's fucking lame sometimes. I can also understand resistance to them simply because of all the rabid fanboys that we all have to put up with. But goddamn if they haven't consistently stepped up the game of the entire industry in the last decade.

menikmati
07-20-2008, 04:13 PM
yawn... ignorant, ill-informed hyperbole. Itunes has it's problems, but it's also revolutionized media organization and multiple device integration (the iPhone is the perfect example of what iTunes is capable of). "Sucks when it comes to any type of programming" is exactly the kind of statement that naive, amateur and would-be programmers make. Boring, tired hyperbole.

Right, so we're gonna use the "but it revolutionized and inspired" argument? OK if that's the case, then no one can bash Windows, or MS Office, or anything of that sort, because they all (despite their problems) have revolutionized the market/world and again despite their problems are the most widely used programs in the world.

YAWN.

Point is, iTunes is horribly written, and when about 90% of Apple's market for iTunes use Window systems, you'd think they'd try to go back to the drawing board, but no instead they just try to engineer the latest "classic" ipods to not work with 3rd party software (which everyone was bolting for) and not support drag and drop. So instead of fixing a problem, they just force people to live with the problem.

They can revolutionize all they want, but they aren't known for their superior programming. All they can do is make things appear pretty. I'm tired of the "macs are so much better than PCs" thing....thats ignorant.

MissingPerson
07-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Nope, it was their mistake. When somebody loses that kind of stock, you find out who.

But wow, awesome that you get to contradict me without knowing the details and all, and even better that you seem to be dissing the shop I worked for at the same time, like it's personal.

Hmm.

Dude, are you Steve Jobs?

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Right, so we're gonna use the "but it revolutionized and inspired" argument? OK if that's the case, then no one can bash Windows, or MS Office, or anything of that sort, because they all (despite their problems) have revolutionized the market/world and again despite their problems are the most widely used programs in the world.

YAWN.

Point is, iTunes is horribly written, and when about 90% of Apple's market for iTunes use Window systems, you'd think they'd try to go back to the drawing board, but no instead they just try to engineer the latest "classic" ipods to not work with 3rd party software (which everyone was bolting for) and not support drag and drop. So instead of fixing a problem, they just force people to live with the problem.

They can revolutionize all they want, but they aren't known for their superior programming. All they can do is make things appear pretty. I'm tired of the "macs are so much better than PCs" thing....thats ignorant.

Hell no I wouldn't bash Windows or MS Office (unless we are talking about Windows ME, Vista, or MS Office for Mac 2008). They are both incredibly important products that have changed the world.

I'd love to see a source for your 90% stat, I think it's bullshit.

And 3rd party support and drag and drop is not a "problem," it's the fucking way that many large companies consistently do business. It's the cost of doing business with someone that wants to provide you with the whole experience and in some ways it's great, and in others it's frustrating.

And I never said macs are better than PCs, and I never would. Ignorant is childish, uniformed statements like "all they can do is make things pretty" and "sucks when it comes to any type of programming."

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Nope, it was their mistake. When somebody loses that kind of stock, you find out who.

But wow, awesome that you get to contradict me without knowing the details and all, and even better that you seem to be dissing the shop I worked for at the same time, like it's personal.

Nah, not personal.

I'm always curious as to why someone would go buy an Apple product from a third party source (maybe if there isn't a store in your area), but I haven't talked to many people that have. Then again, I guess they do sell iPods all over the place (Best Buy sells them right?). I need to get out to brick and mortar stores more often, I tend to buy everything online these days.

There seems to be a pretty serious disparity in client/customer support from Apple, and I'm wondering whether or not their nasty involvement with third party sellers is consistent (maybe it's part of the UK division?) and if it's directly motivated or just incompetence.

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 04:30 PM
like I said, I dig msft but they have had a couple botches:

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/bob7.jpg

Apple's equivalent must be that stupid cube thing they made a few years back... My dad got one of those (works for msft by the way) and it overheated in 4 hours... so he took it back and didn't buy another mac until last year.

MissingPerson
07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
We were the biggest department store in the city, yeah. I don't think there's any Apple stores in the locality, but if there are, they're well hidden.

For the record...

Microsoft had a high failure rate on their hardware - first gen Xbox 360 owners know what I mean - but they'd go to work on a problem as soon as it was reported, and they always kept in communication, which was nice. We used to have to replace our demo XBox every month or so though.

Nintendo were always awesome when it came to actually dealing with them, but the sheer volumes of stuff they were selling over Christmas overwhelmed them, and their repair system ground to a halt. Know what's not awesome? Telling a kid they won't have their Nintendo DS back in time for Christmas.

Sony were very professional, and brilliant when it came to merchandising and promotion. When Assassin's Creed was released, we were all given Altair's hoodie to wear in store, and for the PS3 release, they threw us a party, complete with beer and Pringles. I love free stuff. Still, I will never forgive them for the weight of a PS3 box, because they left me with the arms of a Balkan shotputter. And they woefully misread the market on that one.

Everything EA stands for is abhorrent to my nerdy heart, but I'd just like to state that they have the nicest employees on earth. Just so y'all know. Happy, too. Weirdly, cultishly happy.

PrettyRagdoll
07-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Creative Zen ftw. Harder to find accessories, and the user interface is a little clumsier, but man, it will play nearly anything and their reps are a million times easier to deal with.

Although iPods are infinitely more attractive pieces of kit.

What this person said! But since you just but the device and all... Try CNET or the Apple Store

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 05:47 PM
We used to have to replace our demo XBox every month or so though.

Damn, I really want a 360, but everything I hear terrifies me... I'm going to go with the PS3...

MissingPerson
07-20-2008, 06:14 PM
For what it's worth, Microsoft were really cool about swapping it out for a replacement and all, and most stores will do it for you no questions asked. But God, it must be the most infuriating thing in the world to get a shiny new copy of GTA or something, only for your Xbox to crap out.

It's also worth mentioning that with the Xbox, even if you replace the machine, you can usually retain the harddrive, so you don't lose any data. If something goes arseways with your PS3, you usually lose the harddrive too.

Creative's software isn't much fun to use either, incidentally. It is, in fact, preposterously stupid, but thankfully, it doesn't insist you use it. You can just dump stuff straight on with Windows Media Player. I've got a Creative Vision M - she's called Stella - and the only real gripe I have is the stupid little white adapter you have to carry around. That and the fact that it's big enough to club a mugger to death with. Other than that, I love it more than many of my relatives. Close ones.

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 07:08 PM
For what it's worth, Microsoft were really cool about swapping it out for a replacement and all, and most stores will do it for you no questions asked. But God, it must be the most infuriating thing in the world to get a shiny new copy of GTA or something, only for your Xbox to crap out.

It's also worth mentioning that with the Xbox, even if you replace the machine, you can usually retain the harddrive, so you don't lose any data. If something goes arseways with your PS3, you usually lose the harddrive too.

Creative's software isn't much fun to use either, incidentally. It is, in fact, preposterously stupid, but thankfully, it doesn't insist you use it. You can just dump stuff straight on with Windows Media Player. I've got a Creative Vision M - she's called Stella - and the only real gripe I have is the stupid little white adapter you have to carry around. That and the fact that it's big enough to club a mugger to death with. Other than that, I love it more than many of my relatives. Close ones.

I had a creative device a while back, and it was a fine device. The only reason I ever had an ipod was because I got one free with the laptop I bought (which I love more than all of my relatives). The iPhone I just got is another story, and the majority of my gripes come from the iPod end of the device (all understandable issues given that it is a multi-use device, I have yet to come up with reasonable solutions to my complaints).

My dad just sent back his xbox that had the red ring or whatever, and it ended up extending his warranty which is cool... However, when he got it back it still didn't work and had to wait another 10 days... Go figure.

TomAz
07-20-2008, 07:23 PM
i have had an ipod since V1. where you had to download shareware to make it work in Windows. it was a gift. when i got it I was thinking 'wtf is this apple shit, i don't use apples, and i gotta use shareware to make it work.. wtf. this is stupid.' since then i've owned various versions and i stick to ipod for one reason: it works. (i have also bought my daughters macs and I use airport express for my home network cuz, it works).

iTunes is fine too. i mean I'm just an end user, I don't know (and don't particularly care) if it's eloquently programmed or whatever. it works. and having owned gateways and dells and what have you over the years, you know "it works" is a pretty high recommendation.

shakermaker113
07-20-2008, 07:28 PM

hmm. actually, I think apple generally make very good software. I can't stand to use itunes, personally, but that's just my preference. that doesn't mean it's a bad piece of software, it just means it's not for me. as a piece of software it's actually very good. it's remarkably user friendly for people who aren't very computer literate. that's no easy feat. it's made it effortless for my mother to rip cds and put them on her ipod. without itunes she would be asking the rest of us every time she wanted to add new mp3s. can you imagine how frustrating that would be for both her and the rest of us?

the way they try to prevent 3rd party software is frustrating, though, I agree. I find that obnoxious. I'm not sure what you meant by the drag and drop comment.

shakermaker113
07-20-2008, 07:29 PM
iTunes is fine too. i mean I'm just an end user, I don't know (and don't particularly care) if it's eloquently programmed or whatever. it works. and having owned gateways and dells and what have you over the years, you know "it works" is a pretty high recommendation.

exactly.

menikmati
07-20-2008, 07:35 PM
hmm. actually, I think apple generally make very good software. I can't stand to use itunes, personally, but that's just my preference. that doesn't mean it's a bad piece of software, it just means it's not for me. as a piece of software it's actually very good. it's remarkably user friendly for people who aren't very computer literate. that's no easy feat. it's made it effortless for my mother to rip cds and put them on her ipod. without itunes she would be asking the rest of us every time she wanted to add new mp3s. can you imagine how frustrating that would be for both her and the rest of us?

the way they try to prevent 3rd party software is frustrating, though, I agree. I find that obnoxious. I'm not sure what you meant by the drag and drop comment.

Apple tries to engineer the latest ipods, so no 3rd party software can be used, and they try to prevent to method of just dragging and dropping your music files in too (which a lot of other mp3 devices do support)....they do all that so the user is forced to install and use iTunes, which in returns means they'll probably end up using the iTunes music store (which apple of course wants) and sticking with the shitty AAC format (which apple also wants), it's all pretty stupid.

I'm not trying to hate on the iPod...I still own a 3rd gen 15gb, which still works just fine to this day and has decent battery life, so it's held up well compared to other horror stories...my problem is with iTunes which is just a shitty poorly written program. It's basically just a glorified version of quicktime, but an even heavier memory hog, with built in browser shit for the store and artwork and all that other useless shit.

ThomThom
07-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Yeah I am in the same boat being that I have been a fairly committed dell and gateway user myself over the past decade. "It Works" is a perfectly fine answer for me, although I know that doesn't say much at all about my knowledge of computers. By the way Tom, I remember you saying that you were thinking of purchasing a mac for your daughter some time ago, how did that end up working out for you?

wmgaretjax
07-20-2008, 08:15 PM
It's basically just a glorified version of quicktime, but an even heavier memory hog, with built in browser shit for the store and artwork and all that other useless shit.

Except now with the iPhone it's essentially a hub for all your software (if you are a mac user) and allows you to customize syncing between all of your productivity and media apps. It's not simply a glorified version of quicktime (anymore). It is, however, a serious memory hog. I will agree with that wholeheatedly.

TomAz
07-21-2008, 07:35 AM
By the way Tom, I remember you saying that you were thinking of purchasing a mac for your daughter some time ago, how did that end up working out for you?

it worked out very well for her, so I bought my other daughter one too. I never hear anything from them about it so I think that's a good sign.

SFChrissy
07-21-2008, 08:41 AM
I thought I was the only person who didn't have an Ipod yet...I can't wait to get one...I'm sick of changing cd's so often in my car player...

MissingPerson
07-23-2008, 01:06 PM
CD's! Bah! Might as well have a gramaphone! This is the future! This is the NEW WAY!