PDA

View Full Version : Ravers lose sight at laser show

slurpee
07-16-2008, 12:20 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL1452972520080716?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews&rpc=69

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Dozens of partygoers at an outdoor rave near Moscow last week have lost partial vision after a laser light show burned their retinas, Russian health officials said on Monday.

Moscow city health department officials confirmed 12 cases of laser-blindness at the Central Ophthalmological Clinic, and daily newspaper Kommersant said another 17 were registered at City Hospital 32 in the centre of the capital.

Attendees at the July 5 Aquamarine Open Air Festival in Kirzhach, 80 km (50 miles) northeast of Moscow, began seeking medical help days after the show, complaining of eye and vision problems, health officials told Reuters.

"They all have retinal burns, scarring is visible on them. Loss of vision in individual cases is as high as 80 percent, and regaining it is already impossible," Kommersant quoted a treating ophthalmologist as saying.

Sokkerkid101
07-16-2008, 12:23 PM
this is the 5th time I have seen this in 2 days

Dont rave in russia!

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 01:12 PM
the full article goes on to say that it was because they used a high powered outdoor sky-scanning array in a partially reflective tent.
so people looked at the ceiling, and went fucking blind.

amyzzz
07-16-2008, 01:22 PM
That is so fucked up.

SFChrissy
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
are they eligable for disability checks???

gaypalmsprings
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
they were short-sighted

According to wikipedia...

Laser safety is the avoidance of laser accidents, especially those involving eye injuries. Since even relatively small amounts of laser light can lead to permanent eye injuries, the sale and usage of lasers is typically subject to official regulations.

A person exposed to laser radiation (especially invisible radiation) may be unaware that damage is occurring. Some lasers are so powerful that even the diffuse reflection from a surface can be hazardous to the eye. Laser radiation predominantly causes eye injury via thermal effects on the retina.

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 01:31 PM
owwwwwww

it's shit like this that makes crowd-scanning arrays illegal in the US.

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

they do it so so so well in places like germany and the netherlands and japan- their laser shows are insane, because they have competent, certified technicians who have to go to school for this shit long enough that they can be trusted by the government to scan the crowd with lasers without fucking BURNING THEIR VISION AWAY.

locachica73
07-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Imagine if that happened here in the US. The law suits would be incredible, people in neighboring cities would be filing claims. But the people that were blinded should absolutely be compensated.

amyzzz
07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
owwwwwww

it's shit like this that makes crowd-scanning arrays illegal in the US.

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

they do it so so so well in places like germany and the netherlands and japan- their laser shows are insane, because they have competent, certified technicians who have to go to school for this shit long enough that they can be trusted by the government to scan the crowd with lasers without fucking BURNING THEIR VISION AWAY.
What are they using crowd-scanning lasers for? I'm confused by the way you phrased this.

gaypalmsprings
07-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I wonder how many birds & insects were blinded by the laser lights at Coachella.

I also wonder what protections are in place to avoid an accident in which one of the laser beams is aimed at the crowd (directly or indirectly).

SFChrissy
07-16-2008, 02:09 PM
I wonder how many birds & insects were blinded by the laser lights at Coachella.

Their eyes don't have the same anatomy as ours do...

woogie846
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
I guess it's not their fault, I mean, they couldn't SEE it coming.

Mr. Dylanja
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
What are they using crowd-scanning lasers for? I'm confused by the way you phrased this.

Europeans have bar-codes tattooed on their foreheads, crowd-scanning is how attendance is taken.

BTW, I posted this in the article thread a couple days ago, just sayin.

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
If they had the dosage many had @ EDC, there would've been no need for laserz because there were many that seemed to come out of everywhere lol. But the overall situation sucks for the people.

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 04:23 PM

the russians in question weren't scanning the crowd (at least not on purpose).
it's just that every time some idiot blinds a bunch of kids through their incompetence, it adds ammo to the north american ban on crowd scanning lasers.
it's like "see, lasers are dangerous, you're lucky we let you use them in clubs at all. no crowd scanning!"

when in reality, this specific situation is proof that putting a ban on crowd scanning is ineffective. people will still fuck up and blind each other somehow.

in the hands of competent engineers, lasers can be used in huge arrays that scan both the sky/ceiling AND the audience. but not here. we only get stuff fired up from stage level.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Europeans have bar-codes tattooed on their foreheads, crowd-scanning is how attendance is taken.

BTW, I posted this in the article thread a couple days ago, just sayin.

pretty good!

marooko
07-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I guess it's not their fault, I mean, they couldn't SEE it coming.

ba dum chi.

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 05:31 PM
a laser capable of emitting a beam of pure anti-matter

(then it's not a laser!!)

Cdubby
07-16-2008, 05:39 PM
ba dum chi.

is that chinese?

anyways i never knew attendance was taken with a laser scan to the forehead, europe is so much more advanced than us.

http://www.interspacestation.com/Hank_Lazerz.jpg

frozen pilgrim
07-16-2008, 05:41 PM
is that chinese?

anyways i never knew attendance was taken with a laser scan to the forehead, europe is so much more advanced than us.

after the scan, your cell phone gets a text message with your height, weight, BMI, and %body fat

shakermaker113
07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
in the hands of competent engineers, lasers can be used in huge arrays that scan both the sky/ceiling AND the audience. but not here. we only get stuff fired up from stage level.

I still want to know how nobody (especially Wayne Coyne) got their eyes damaged during this:

LRlU_gO64_4

JustSteve
07-16-2008, 06:44 PM
their hearing must have already been questionable if that shit sounds good to them...

prettydirtything
07-16-2008, 09:03 PM
"My eyes, the goggles do nothing."

amyzzz
07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
If you mean the laser lights are shining on the crowds as part of the entertainment, then OK. I have a problem with the word "scanning," as if the laser is programmed to look for something.

instinct
07-18-2008, 01:58 AM
the russians in question weren't scanning the crowd (at least not on purpose).
it's just that every time some idiot blinds a bunch of kids through their incompetence, it adds ammo to the north american ban on crowd scanning lasers.
it's like "see, lasers are dangerous, you're lucky we let you use them in clubs at all. no crowd scanning!"

when in reality, this specific situation is proof that putting a ban on crowd scanning is ineffective. people will still fuck up and blind each other somehow.

I'm guessing their MPE calculations were way off, or they had some really reflective material. I'm guessing that these were most likely YAG lasers. Fuck honestly, it sucks so bad that for the people that lost their vision.

Do you just know a lot about lasers, or do you actually own any? I have two projectors.. One 150 MW.. ILDA and a 30 MW DMX.. I'm trying to get enough cash to build an RGB laser and a better DAC. I just wish I had a variance :(

Fucking eh, a lot of places have crowd scanned and got away with in America, and as far as i know, it is not strictly forbidden to crowd scan in America (less than 5mw is OK anywhere without license). The Laserist (http://www.laserist.org/Laserist/showbasics_7.html) which is part of the ILDA says that it is not illegal as long as they are within the MPE Limits. I have seen clubs like Circus reflect the lasers off disco balls, and many underground raves crowd scan as well. I was wondering how Pink Floyd got away with the laser and the end of the show, as it did scan the audience.

M Sparks
07-18-2008, 08:10 AM
a laser capable of emitting a beam of pure anti-matter

Does that mean it doesn't matter? Ba dum bum.

I always heard a story...don't know if it's an urban legend or not... that ELO used to do shows with lasers attached to their wrists until they got sued.

Till from Rammstein used to wear that Borg outfit with the laser shooting out of his eye into the crowd, but it was pretty low power.

gaypalmsprings
07-18-2008, 08:12 AM
maybe the disco ball reflected the laser beam - do they have disco balls in Russia?

frozen pilgrim
07-18-2008, 11:03 AM
in soviet russia, you reflect disco ball!

frozen pilgrim
07-18-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm just a laser enthusiast- I've done live tech for a while and appreciate a good laser.

how fucking sick was it to have three separate full multi-diode RGB rigs in the sahara......
plus the one for waters...
that's a lot of expensive lasers.
that's like... well, including the computers and controllers, half a million, easy, just on lasers. not even the other lights.

my only request-
for next year, up the ante, guys! the full color robo-spotlights were awesome- now put an RGB laser on each one as well!
lights pointed at the sky, lasers a few feet above people's heads...
I can't even imagine.

instinct
07-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm just a laser enthusiast- I've done live tech for a while and appreciate a good laser.

how fucking sick was it to have three separate full multi-diode RGB rigs in the sahara......
plus the one for waters...
that's a lot of expensive lasers.
that's like... well, including the computers and controllers, half a million, easy, just on lasers. not even the other lights.

my only request-
for next year, up the ante, guys! the full color robo-spotlights were awesome- now put an RGB laser on each one as well!
I can't even imagine.

dude, i could not stop staring at them in the Sahara this year.. you have no idea.. It's hard for not to record it with my digital camera.. Man.. RGB lasers are like the best lighting effects ever.. especially if they have even color. I was really amazed at Coachella this year.. Even other stages had them as well.. I remember seeing kid sister with one as well in the Gobi (or Mojave?).

frozen pilgrim
07-18-2008, 11:31 AM
<3 lasers

instinct
07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
bump for lasers.

cansei de ser sexme
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
my only request-
I can't even imagine.

lasers few feet above peoples heads means i would get blinded.