PDA

View Full Version : What bands will become Festival headliners in the next 5 years?

Pages : [1] 2

PassiveTheory
07-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I've had this debate with a number of my music/festival-loving friends, and now I just want to inspire discussion among you all to see what you think the next crop of festival (and by festival, I really am aiming at Coachella, but think along the lines of Coach, Bonnaroo, Lolla, Glastonbury, etc.) headliners will be?

I think a pretty obvious one is the Arcade Fire. There's the fact the band has sold extremely well for an indie-band on both of it's releases (Funeral's sold half a million copies worldwide [but I think that's an old number]) and their live show is critically acclaimed, etc. They also have pop appeal, which is generally indicative of who's chosen to headline festivals, but not necessarily the case.

Here's a few bands I've thought of, just to open the floor:

- The Flaming Lips
- Muse
- Franz Ferdinand
- The Raconteurs
- My Morning Jacket
- Justice
- Death Cab for Cutie
- Interpol
- Gnarls Barkley
- Modest Mouse

And some long shots:

- Arctic Monkeys (they headlined Glasto already, so this is more about US festivals than anything)
- LCD Soundsystem
- The Shins
- Gogol Bordello

As you can tell I'm definitely leaning towards mostly white, middle-of-the-road indie rock bands, but please bring up anyone you think might become a major festival headliner in the next 5 or so years and explain why.

suprefan
07-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Not Maroon 5

MarkO
07-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Arcade Fire for sure.

The Shins will only headline The 'Posturepedic lay down and sleep for a week' festival. They're as boring as fuck live.

Boourns
07-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Arcade Fire, definitely.
Daft Punk will be main stage headliners (real first-billed headliner, not a Tiesto situation) the next time they play Coachella
Muse (one more hit album should do it)

I don't think The Flaming Lips will get any bigger than they already are. They seem comfortable in their status as a headliner of small festivals or a subheadliner of big fests.

Franz Ferdinand already headlines festivals in Europe, but I don't think they or Interpol will get big enough here to headline a major fest like Coachella.

My Morning Jacket should headline Bonnaroo in a year or two.

U2, Madonna, Jay-Z, and...Nickelback won't be headlining in America unless it's a livenation festival.

The Shins will continue to underwhelm live while performing early evening sets at fests that aren't Coachella and KROQ acoustic x-mases until all the people whose lives were "totally" changed by Garden State move on.

Death Cab and Modest Mouse? I don't see it.

Backwater
07-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Good idea for a thread. I couldn't believe Kings of Leon headlined a night of Glastonbury. The National could become a headliner soon.

orbit
07-12-2008, 05:49 PM
god save us from those years.

PassiveTheory
07-12-2008, 05:50 PM
What huge festivals does Live Nation put on, now? I know they did Street Scene last year and it was a commercial flop.

The reason I put the Flaming Lips first on my list was because of how well-received the UFO show was at Sasquatch and, argue as you might that the Cure and REM's tours kept either one of them from closing the festival, the fact remains that the UFO show closed the festival over REM and the Cure... That's saying something.

And Backwater, I agree with you saying that the National could become a headliner soon, I mean their placement on the Street Scene bill may be out of proportion, but we could definitely find ourselves looking back in retrospect and say that it was uncannily predictive of the future. I think if their next record is any bit as amazing as Boxer they'll start sub-headlining major festivals, so, at this pace, maybe 2 records or 1 and a live DVD or something.

apostle2
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Although I don't like it, I can see Death Cab legitimately headlining festivals soon. They technically already headlined a day of Lolla in '06, back when they had two smaller headliners on Fri/Sat.

PassiveTheory
07-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Although I don't like it, I can see Death Cab legitimately headlining festivals soon. They technically already headlined a day of Lolla in '06, back when they had two smaller headliners on Fri/Sat.

Yeah, I think that's what people were saying about Muse's 07' performance at Lolla.

aeroplanee
07-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Sufjan Stevens

Give him 2 more albums and he's there

Backwater
07-12-2008, 05:58 PM
My Morning Jacket should headline Bonnaroo in a year or two.

If Bonnaroo continues to keep getting bigger, I don't think MMJ will headline, maybe subheadline. After Tom Petty, Radiohead, Tool, The Police, Metallica and Pearl Jam wouldn't MMJ be a big step down?

PassiveTheory
07-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Not really... I mean, this is kinda built on the idea that My Morning Jacket is going to get even bigger as a band.

suprefan
07-12-2008, 06:09 PM
U2, Madonna, Jay-Z, and...Nickelback won't be headlining in America unless it's a livenation festival.

Please see Pemberton Festival for Jay Z, live nation only huh? the deal with that is this, Live Nation paid them all a ton of money upfront mind you, to be theirs for a long period of time. They dont make anything from this. LN, gets all of it when they tour and play. And the artist even has to pay for production costs on a tour, not live nation. So why wouldnt LN let them do a festival then, when they will get all that money.....

bmack86
07-12-2008, 06:09 PM
yeah, My Morning Jacket are right on the cusp now. I could see them blowing up in a big way.

The next time the White Stripes play fests, they're going to be the headliners. Same with Muse.

suprefan
07-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Whites Stripes shouldve headlined Friday this year..........

orbit
07-12-2008, 06:22 PM
they will next year

aeroplanee
07-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Neutral Milk Hotel

ok, maybe not headliners, let alone coming back

but i can dream...................

but i could see Animal Collective or Beirut

They've both got pretty strong followings which are only gonna grow

and in 5 or so years they would have a good enough sized catalogue to headline

PassiveTheory
07-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Animal Collective and Beirut?... Really?

Backwater
07-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Animal Collective HAHAHAHAHA!!!! They suck. Even if they were good experimental music like that would never become that popular.

bug on your lip
07-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Will Get Bigger (to Headline status):
- Muse
- Modest Mouse

Won't get any bigger than they already are:
- The Flaming Lips
- Franz Ferdinand
- Justice
- My Morning Jacket
- Death Cab for Cutie
- Arctic Monkeys
- Gogol Bordello

Undecided:
- The Raconteurs
- Interpol
- Gnarls Barkley
- LCD Soundsystem
- The Shins

aeroplanee
07-12-2008, 07:20 PM
it seems like everyone and their mother will have seen The Raconteurs supporting this last album, They've kinda worn off, unless they put out a monumental album, i dont see them going to much farther, White Stripes would definately be more fitting

xxxxxxxxxx
07-12-2008, 07:25 PM
What huge festivals does Live Nation put on, now? I know they did Street Scene last year and it was a commercial flop.

Sasquatch and Pemberton are Live Nation festivals.

Backwater
07-12-2008, 07:26 PM
I heard Modest Mouse sucks live. Gnarls Barkley will definitely get much bigger. I can easily see them headlining Roo or Coach 5 years from now.

xxxxxxxxxx
07-12-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh and I agree with whoever said Muse.

aeroplanee
07-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Muse was ready last time around, i would be really excited if they headlined, GREAT live show

bballarl
07-12-2008, 08:05 PM
My band

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 08:13 PM
MMJ will get bigger than they are now, Bug. Arctic Monkeys too.

stinkbutt
07-12-2008, 08:14 PM

The reason I put the Flaming Lips first on my list was because of how well-received the UFO show was at Sasquatch and, argue as you might that the Cure and REM's tours kept either one of them from closing the festival, the fact remains that the UFO show closed the festival over REM and the Cure... That's saying something.

I think they put the smallest headliner on Monday for that reason I mean Justice closed out the weekend this year at Coachella does that mean they were the headliner. Radiohead was on Saturday at Bonnaroo 06 and so on and so on

LCD will be Headliners after either a really solid next album or 2 from now

vinylmartyr
07-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Muse , Killers, M.I.A in like 10 years.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 08:21 PM
MIA? Puke no wai.

vinylmartyr
07-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Maybe The Pixies next year. Probably not.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Mmm, gimme some of that Pixies to wash the taste of puke out of my mouth. Thanks Jeff.

aeroplanee
07-12-2008, 08:28 PM
The Dodos have great potential

i see them as the next Death Cab

miscorrections
07-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Except, y'know, The Dodos are good.

TickleMeElmo
07-12-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm kinda surprised how off some of you guy's perception is of a band's popularity. Yikes.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Care to enlighten us?

bug on your lip
07-12-2008, 09:11 PM
elmo is popular

aeroplanee
07-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I like to root for the underdogs

coofal
07-12-2008, 10:46 PM
tickle me

TickleMeElmo
07-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Care to enlighten us?

Sure...

LCD Soundsystem = No
The National = No
Animal Collective = No
The Shins = No
Beirut = No
"Muse was ready last time around" = No

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 10:58 PM
I firmly agree on all fronts.

Boourns
07-12-2008, 11:07 PM
There's no fucking way Animal Collective could ever be a headliner of something besides the pitchfork festival, and even there they aren't a valid headliner. Yet somehow they are booked as one in an effort to be pretentious and annoying.

aeroplanee
07-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Sure...

"Muse was ready last time around" = No

they headlined Lolla last year

and They could of EASILY took RHCP's spot in 2007

Boourns
07-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Beirut? Good band, but will never have enough wide appeal to be anywhere near a headliner.

The National? The indie Nickelback? If they had the same meteoric rise as the Arcade Fire, then yes. But that didn't happen, so they will never be a festival headliner.

woogie846
07-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Arcade Fire

I think Spoon will keep growing.

Backwater
07-12-2008, 11:22 PM
The National? The indie Nickelback?

LOL

aeroplanee
07-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Grizzly Bear hasn't been mentioned yet

coofal
07-12-2008, 11:35 PM
No!

fatbastard
07-12-2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.w-fenec.org/photos/2005/rock/nickelback_all_the_right_reasons.jpg

Pixiessp
07-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Grizzly Bear is tremendous but not as headliners.

Silversun Pickups will be big if they just continue to put
out great CD's like Carnavas.

I agree with Arcade Fire being headliners after their next release.

bballarl
07-13-2008, 12:06 AM
The National? The indie Nickelback? If they had the same meteoric rise as the Arcade Fire, then yes. But that didn't happen, so they will never be a festival headliner.

You can't be serious about this.

xxxxxxxxxx
07-13-2008, 12:11 AM
If Amy Winehouse ever gets her shit together she could be ridiculously huge. That's a big if.

I think she could be a good Coachella headliner 5 years from now but she needs to get clean.

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Grizzly Bear sucks cocks. And comparing The National to Nickleback is grounds for slaughter, and I don't even like The National that much.

Backwater
07-13-2008, 12:17 AM
If Amy Winehouse ever gets her shit together she could be ridiculously huge. That's a big if.

She'll be dead within a year. Guaranteed.

bballarl
07-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Even if I didn't think The National were fucking amazing I would disagree with his statement. Totally, totally ridiculous.

bballarl
07-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Also, The White Stripes were getting there before Meg needed a break.

woogie846
07-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Also, The White Stripes were getting there before Meg needed a break.

argghh...stupid meg...

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2008, 12:33 AM
If Meg fucking died it would be the best thing that could happen to The White Stripes.

Backwater
07-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Meg is so worthless. Hopefully the rumors are true about her "anxiety" and needing to "take a break" were really excuses for heroin rehab because then she might actually die soon.

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2008, 12:40 AM
You should die and take her with you.

sonofhal
07-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Here's a few bands I've thought of, just to open the floor:

- The Flaming Lips
- Muse
- Franz Ferdinand
- The Raconteurs
- My Morning Jacket
- Justice
- Death Cab for Cutie
- Interpol
- Gnarls Barkley
- Modest Mouse

And some long shots:

- Arctic Monkeys (they headlined Glasto already, so this is more about US festivals than anything)
- LCD Soundsystem
- The Shins
- Gogol Bordello

I can see none of the above headlining Coachella (except possibly Muse, god help us!). Also, didn't M.I.A. retire?

I can see Bon Iver headlining something next year, especially if the album carries onward with it's current momentum. Deservedly so.

zenidogx
07-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Flaming Lips ARE headliner worthy already. it took them 25 years to build up a considerable following. 08 they do the small fests, by their next album they headline one of the big 3.
they did Sasquatch already.

The White Stripes.

Muse. i've heard their live shows are life-changing. plus they do have mainstream appeal.
DCFC. although they wouldn't be too fun.

MMJ will grow to anchor opening days.

Gogol could headline small fests in the next 5 years, but no major fests.
Foo Fighters. they're big and at a point where they could hold their own.

Decemberists in five years will be in the awkard phase the Flaming Lips are in now. Modest Mouse is heading there too.

Backwater
07-13-2008, 01:00 AM
Gnarls Barkley and Muse will both be headliners in a few years.

zenidogx
07-13-2008, 01:02 AM
not gnarls. the steam ran out after Crazy. subheadliners for sure. maybe even second name.

sonofhal
07-13-2008, 01:05 AM
The 2nd Gnarls album didn't really do anything, saleswise compared to the first - so why headliners? Even their small venue tour in the UK took a while to sell out.

bigc1
07-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Sigur Rós

Sushov23
07-13-2008, 01:44 AM
why the fuck has only one person mentioned Kings Of Leon? They will be headliners for damn sure. Their sound is very universal when it comes to people who enjoy rock music. I've been saying this shit since the first album. Same goes for MMJ, They are way to amazing to not get there. MUSE are already headliners. The White Stripes go without saying. MIA after what I saw at Coachella this year, will be a headliner(god help us). if she comes out of retirement that is.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 02:51 AM
i can't take this shit! another fucking thread about arcade fire and muse!

xxxxxxxxxx
07-13-2008, 03:02 AM
I don't think Weezer has ever headlined a major U.S. festival. Certainly big enough these days.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 03:11 AM
that would make for one weak sauce festival^^^^

Backwater
07-13-2008, 03:13 AM
They headlined the first day of Lolla 05 with the Pixies. Billy Idol and Primus were subheadliners. I was there and it was a great 1st of the fest but Weezer did suck pretty bad so I watched Digable Planets when they played.

PassiveTheory
07-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Sadly, I agree with the Foo Fighters. It's a shame that, since the Color and the Shape, they've gone utterly downhill, but they're a popular Coachella-esque band.

Also, Queens of the Stone Age, anyone?

I think that if APW survives a couple more years that Interpol will headline it (due to it being a hometown crowd), but (even though I suggested them) they might not end up headlining Coachella.

I don't think that the Decemberists will headline major festivals. Sure they've gained some mainstream recognition, but I just don't think they currently rake in the kind of crowd numbers necessary to put them at a headlining level. I think their 07 placement was ridiculously overblown (KOL should have been above them, at least, if not Tiesto should have been the 2nd name from the top).

Sorry bigc1, I don't think Sigur Ros will ever move beyond subheadlining status unless they start releasing albums in English. That's when they'll reach Bjork-status.

Weezer will probably headline some of the fall festivals but I fully expect them to play Langredo or Lollapalooza next year.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 03:21 AM
Weezer will probably headline some of the fall festivals but I fully expect them to play Langredo or Lollapalooza next year.

you shut your fucking mouth!!!!! take that back!! we're getting Beck next year! thats the only way it'll make weezer acceptable.....fuck it, we got Beasties and REM this year, weezer would be a LEAP down

edit: and did you mean *Langerado*?

PassiveTheory
07-13-2008, 03:46 AM
The festival REM and the Beasties headlined.

Backwater
07-13-2008, 03:47 AM
Ludicris, Nas, Lil' Wayne, Outkast, and possibly The Roots if they can make a couple more albums as good as The Tipping Point.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 04:16 AM
The festival REM and the Beasties headlined.

yeah exactly, don't you bring that shit over here, have Lolla take Weezer, i've been praying nonstop since March to have Beck headline next year

only time will tell

Tylerdurden31
07-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Trail of Dead had potential 5 years ago to become headliners 5 years from now. Then they started putting out crap cuz of having to deal with Interscope. Hopefully this next album doesn't suck ass.

I could see Band of Horses headlining in 5-10.

THE BLACK KEYS.

If Elbow keeps putting out awesome like The Seldom Seen Kid, they could do it.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs definitely have the potential.

The Verve probably, depending on how this next album does.

and that band...The Tet Holiday...sure

betao
07-13-2008, 06:34 AM
good call on Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

i'm surprised no one has said Wilco yet.

I also think the Flaming Lips are a headlining band.

I think the following have potential in a couple of years, maybe even less time:

- MMJ
- Gnarls Barkley
- Acrade Fire
- Muse
- The White Stripes
- Arctic Monkeys
- Interpol
- Kings of Leon

bands that aren't as ready as some people in this thread think:

- LCD Soundsystem
- Gogol Bordello
- The National

MarkO
07-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Look at Wilcos tour schedule. They're a 5000 a night band at best. I wish they were bigger but they won't be headlining any of the big festivals.

aeroplanee
07-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Belle And Sebastian

bballarl
07-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Not a chance.

bmack86
07-13-2008, 09:45 AM
B&S and Wilco have hit the peak of their fanbase I'd say. It's enough for me. I don't think Interpol's gonna get a whole lot bigger. They don't seem to even court a bigger audience, so I don't see that happening. Kings Of Leon could have a mainstream breakout at some point and headline Bonnaroo, but I don't picture them heading Coachella.

suprefan
07-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Belle And Sebastian

Please see coachella 2004, thats as high as they are going.......

Look at Wilcos tour schedule. They're a 5000 a night band at best. I wish they were bigger but they won't be headlining any of the big festivals.

They are choosing to play venues of that size, I bet you if they played the Hollywood Bowl it would fill up.

Sushov23
07-13-2008, 10:27 AM
I think Kings of Leon will be headlining Coachella one year, I think they play 09 and subheadline(next name from headliner), and in a couple years they headline. On last fall's tour they played small amps, and sold out most of them. Then there is the fact that they are huge around the world. So def. Headliners. They might even headline next year's bonnaroo.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 10:29 AM
I think Kings of Leon will be headlining Coachella one year, I think they play 09 and subheadline(next name from headliner), and in a couple years they headline. On last fall's tour they played small amps, and sold out most of them. Then there is the fact that they are huge around the world. So def. Headliners. They might even headline next year's bonnaroo.

I sure hope not! but seriously, I'm having a really hard time picturing them headlining a major fest, especially coachella, sadly, I can see it happen at The Roo

roberto73
07-13-2008, 10:35 AM
I sure hope not! but seriously, I'm having a really hard time picturing them headlining a major fest.

Erm ... see this year's Glastonbury. It doesn't get much more major than that.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 10:37 AM
thats a little different though, Glastonbury is on a whole 'nother level of festival.....are they really a headliner there??

miscorrections
07-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Yes. They, Jay-Z, and The Verve headlined.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 10:42 AM
that blows my mind, and not in a good way, I knew about jigga and the verve....but kings of fucking leon??? do i need to start praying now to keep them away from coachella?

anti-square
07-13-2008, 10:56 AM
They were great at coachella.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 10:58 AM
they were unbearable at Bonnaroo, my friends and I went in there completely neutral about KOL and were hoping to see a good rocknroll show, we seriously had to run (RUN!) far away from the mainstage

anti-square
07-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Sounds like a different band than the one I saw. We went neutral as well, and had a blast.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 11:04 AM
i feel like maybe I haven't given them the chance I should. They're so darn cute, I can't completely shun them

Should I just start with their first album?

woogie846
07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Kings of Leon cannot headline.

MassiveChemicalPunk
07-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Kings of Leon, Interpol, The Strokes, The Killers & MMJ will eventually headline a major fest in the US.

The White Stripes & Beck should already be headliners.

MassiveChemicalPunk
07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
i feel like maybe I haven't given them the chance I should. They're so darn cute, I can't completely shun them

Should I just start with their first album?

Start with their latest "Because of the Times"

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 11:46 AM

agreed. isnt Beck a headliner though?

suprefan
07-13-2008, 11:47 AM
thats a little different though, Glastonbury is on a whole 'nother level of festival.....are they really a headliner there??

The u.K. has a different view on who is ''big'' and who isnt. come on, Arctic Monkeys headlined a day last year...

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 11:49 AM
The u.K. has a different view on who is ''big'' and who isnt. come on, Arctic Monkeys headlined a day last year...

this is exactly what I was thinking, I cannot believe i'm agreeing with you. am I in the twilight zone?

MassiveChemicalPunk
07-13-2008, 11:56 AM
agreed. isnt Beck a headliner though?

Yep, ur right. My bad. I got confused for a second now that he's opening for Radiohead at Outside Lands.

Still, I think he should headline Coach again.

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Yep, ur right. My bad. I got confused for a second now that he's opening for Radiohead at Outside Lands.

Still, I think he should headline Coach again.

you know how I feel about this

Cdubby
07-13-2008, 12:04 PM
no we dont, explain your position on beck :winkiss

menikmati
07-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Arcade Fire and Muse maybe, but thats about from what I read in here. With the exception of Coldplay, every band that has headlined Coachella has been a band that has been "big enough" and have headlined other big fests for at least 7-10 years before hand...so to think some small band like fuckin Gnarls Barkley is gonna headline in 5 years is a joke.

woogie846
07-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Kings of Leon, Interpol, The Strokes, The Killers & MMJ will eventually headline a major fest in the US.

If Meg ever recovers from whatever she had, The White Stripes will be headlining festivals as soon as they come back.

humanoid
07-13-2008, 12:12 PM
If Meg ever recovers from whatever she had, The White Stripes will be headlining festivals as soon as they come back.

she doesn't even need to recover...throw someone else on the drums, hide them a little further back from the crowd, you'd never notice

Boourns
07-13-2008, 12:17 PM
In the spirit of ridiculousness, COACHELLA 2013 headliners and subheadliners:

Friday: Beirut
Asobi Seksu Uffie

Saturday: Animal Collective
Dan Deacon Girl Talk

Sunday: The National
Hercules & Love Affair Black Kids

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 12:19 PM
no we dont, explain your position on beck :winkiss

actually, what i'm really praying to the Gods for is Beck into Bowie for 09

B-Squared!

sbessiso
07-13-2008, 12:20 PM
she doesn't even need to recover...throw someone else on the drums, hide them a little further back from the crowd, you'd never notice

Meg is his muse...without her, we will never have the white stripes again.

and Oh my fucking god, i'm having nightmares with arcade fire and muse. for the love of pete you guys, quit it!

zenidogx
07-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't think that the Decemberists will headline major festivals. Sure they've gained some mainstream recognition, but I just don't think they currently rake in the kind of crowd numbers necessary to put them at a headlining level. I think their 07 placement was ridiculously overblown (KOL should have been above them, at least, if not Tiesto should have been the 2nd name from the top).

in 5 years they will snowball, like the Flaming Lips did since Soft Bulletin. their billing took me off guard, but then again, when you release as many good albums as they have, you earn respect as an artist. however, they were on the outdoor theatre, which means GV knows they aren't that big. still, Belle and Sebastian transitioned from Outdoor Stage to Mainstage in a couple of years. unlike B&S, however, the Decemberists will grow in popularity in the states. more Colbert appearances should bump them. as you can tell by now, i'm a Meloy fanboy.

also, Arcade Fire . . . sure. but i won't watch.

and,
Sigur Ros is so pretentious. anyone defending that is 10x more pretentious than the average board memebr.

suprefan
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Sigur Ros is so pretentious. anyone defending that is 10x more pretentious than the average board memebr.

They are from Iceland, what do you want out of them? Ill defend them. They make music that moves you. They are amazing live, what else is there to say? You said you had the best night of your summer already and it was watching bands play an older bands music, thas not really ''pushing it'' now is it.

Boourns
07-13-2008, 12:47 PM
in 5 years they will snowball, like the Flaming Lips did since Soft Bulletin. their billing took me off guard, but then again, when you release as many good albums as they have, you earn respect as an artist. however, they were on the outdoor theatre, which means GV knows they aren't that big. still, Belle and Sebastian transitioned from Outdoor Stage to Mainstage in a couple of years. unlike B&S, however, the Decemberists will grow in popularity in the states. more Colbert appearances should bump them. as you can tell by now, i'm a Meloy fanboy.

also, Arcade Fire . . . sure. but i won't watch.

and,

Sigur Ros pretentious but not the Decemberists?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/diyablo/epic-failure08.jpg

zenidogx
07-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Sigur Ros use a bow on a guitar.

decemberists take themselves lightly.

humanoid
07-13-2008, 12:57 PM

I really like both bands, but could see either one being called pretentious

Boourns
07-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Radiohead uses a bow too.

humanoid
07-13-2008, 12:59 PM
bows can make really cool sounds on guitars, its kinda fun

zenidogx
07-13-2008, 12:59 PM
radiohead, yeah, they're pretentious fucks too.

that's why 97% of this board likes them.

zenidogx
07-13-2008, 01:00 PM
they also bore.

saw two minute of Sigur in 06. then said, i'm out.

zenidogx
07-13-2008, 01:01 PM
point is. we're all pretentious pricks.

humanoid
07-13-2008, 01:04 PM
they also bore.

saw two minute of Sigur in 06. then said, i'm out.

their set wasn't very good in '06......'01 on the other hand, was breathtaking

TonyWonder
07-13-2008, 01:07 PM
How about Massive Attack? I could see them headlining a night at some festivals when their new album is finally released.

humanoid
07-13-2008, 01:34 PM
How about Massive Attack? I could see them headlining a night at some festivals when their new album is finally released.

I would love it, but I don't see Massive Attack getting bigger now after being around for 20 years, I can't wait for the new album though

Wheres the beef?
07-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Muse , Killers, M.I.A in like 10 years.

God no MIA is terrible. Turrable.

captncrzy
07-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Arcade Fire and Muse maybe, but thats about from what I read in here. With the exception of Coldplay, every band that has headlined Coachella has been a band that has been "big enough" and have headlined other big fests for at least 7-10 years before hand...so to think some small band like fuckin Gnarls Barkley is gonna headline in 5 years is a joke.

I agree with every word of this.

vinylmartyr
07-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Gorillaz on friday maybe.

vinylmartyr
07-13-2008, 05:00 PM
i eat poo from my butt

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2008, 05:39 PM
i eat poo from my butt

Are they any good?

Sushov23
07-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Even though I love sigur, I can agree when someone says they are very pretentious. The Decemberist are depending on who you ask.

JSam67
07-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Definitely Arcade Fire and Muse. One of these years My Morning Jacket will be, too.

sbessiso
07-14-2008, 01:35 AM
i'm going to fucking kill you

arcadefiremusearcadefiremusearcadefiremusearcadefi remuse

everyone needs to cool it! for the love of Pete

Stefinitely Maybe
07-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Coachella 2009 headliners:

Friday - Arcade Fire
Saturday - Muse
Sunday - Oasis

Please.

Sushov23
07-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Muse, Arcade Fire= HEADLINERS.

SoulDischarge
07-14-2008, 01:40 AM
i'm going to fucking kill you

arcadefiremusearcadefiremusearcadefiremusearcadefi remuse

everyone needs to cool it! for the love of Pete

Which Pete would you be referring to, Big Pete or Little Pete?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e9/PeteandPete.gif/250px-PeteandPete.gif

sbessiso
07-14-2008, 01:40 AM
i'm quitting this thread, the title is misleading.....just call it the fucking arcadefiremuse thread

JSam67
07-14-2008, 02:04 AM
Chut up! See them live and understand!

luckyface
07-14-2008, 08:43 AM
i'm quitting this thread, the title is misleading.....just call it the fucking arcadefiremuse thread

This is coming from the guy who turns every other thread into the same three topics.

jigsaw
07-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Foo Fighters – not Coachella.

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I'd be okay with muse. I'd be very much not okay with but grudgingly accepting of arcade fire. oasis can go take turns fucking a burning flagpole in freeway traffic.

who's going to be headlining in five years?
I would be surprised if MMJ didn't get there soon.

betao
07-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Foo Fighters – not Coachella.

please see 2002.

jigsaw
07-14-2008, 08:54 AM
ew...

rage patton
07-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Gorillaz on friday maybe.

Gorillaz are most definately headliners right now.

Also, I don't think Gogol Bordello could ever be headliners... however didn't they have just as big of a crowd as Jack Johnson this year?

BlackSwan
07-14-2008, 12:03 PM

Friday - Arcade Fire
Saturday - Muse

ewww... is this the bands that are over-hyped thread?

Boourns
07-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Everyone had a crowd as big or bigger than Jack Johnson.

sbessiso
07-14-2008, 12:21 PM
This is coming from the guy who turns every other thread into the same three topics.

beck, jack white and gay sex?

is there anything else anyone ever needs?

humanoid
07-14-2008, 01:09 PM
beck, jack white and gay sex?

is there anything else anyone ever needs?

you pretty much covered all the bases

sbessiso
07-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Arcade Fire & Muse

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 01:12 PM
considering the third option, you have to add EDM, lube, and MDMA to that list. plus a hybrid car for the first and a bottle of jack for the second...
shit- take out the beck, the jack white, and the gay sex, and that's a serious fucking evening right there. not one I want to be involved in, but god damn.

sbessiso
07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
I :pulse you Pilgrim....in a non-gay way of course

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 01:18 PM
right back at you, buddy

PS the gay way is fine too. it's possible to have love without sex- we might even grow as people.

sbessiso
07-14-2008, 01:19 PM
plus, i'd need you to wear that wig

humanoid
07-14-2008, 01:19 PM
right back at you, buddy

PS the gay way is fine too. it's possible to have love without sex- we might even grow as people.

that was very inspirational!

sbessiso
07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
that was very inspirational!

I know! Big day at the Boards!

humanoid
07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
the notion, "we might even grow as people" touched me in so many ways

sbessiso
07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
I got a little misty....down there

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 01:26 PM
it seems like everyone and their mother will have seen The Raconteurs supporting this last album, They've kinda worn off, unless they put out a monumental album, i dont see them going to much farther, White Stripes would definately be more fitting
Uh yeah, they haven't come here yet.

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 01:28 PM
internet touching is fun!
just keep the hansenator away!

humanoid
07-14-2008, 01:31 PM
that's what the internet is for, right?

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
to the best of my knowledge.

sbessiso
07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Indeed.

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, make Arcade Fire headline Sunday with a bunch of shitty bands, and I'll just skip that day and come home early. w00t w00t.

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 01:50 PM
or how about goldenvoice gets to be ahead of the curve and stop giving a shit about arcade fire. and we can get someone really good for the stupid sum of money win butthead would demand.
and yes I busted out 'butthead'. grade 3, motherfucker.

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 01:50 PM
PS the motherfucker was not directed at you, amy >.<

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm just going to totally misread what you said, pilgrim, and say YES, BRING CURVE TO COACHELLA! :>

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I am not familiar with curve. enlighten me?

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Curve: British female-fronted shoegaze early 90's, superhot singer, although she'd be in her 40's by now. Garbage totally ripped them off.

Albums go from really shoegazey MBV-ish to more radio-friendly poppy stuff more like Garbage

Pubic Fruit
Doppelganger
Cuckoo
Come Clean
Gift
(album released for fans Open Day at the Hate Fest)

They also have songs on the Nowhere soundtrack and the Doom Generation soundtrack.

paulb
07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
The Cranberries and ABBA shall be headlining within the next 5 years...

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
hahaha

garrett222
07-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Coachella 2009

Friday - Sigur Ros
Saturday - The White Stripes
Sunday - Arcade Fire/Daft Punk

Cdubby
07-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Just now checking out Curve, I would love them at Coachella.......I wouldn't mind Garbage though either :)

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 03:43 PM
BTW, Curve broke up for good about 5 years ago I think, but I was hoping for a reunion a la Swervedriver.

MissingPerson
07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Dude, Arcade Fire have ten people to feed, cut them some slack.

Holy shit, Curve. Now there's a blast from the past. I need to see an episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer like, right now.

orbit
07-14-2008, 03:55 PM

seriously, it gets fucking annoying.

orbit
07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Coachella 2009

Friday - Sigur Ros
Saturday - The White Stripes
Sunday - Arcade Fire/Daft Punk

daft punk will never be a sunday headliner.

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Dude, Arcade Fire have ten people to feed, cut them some slack.

Holy shit, Curve. Now there's a blast from the past. I need to see an episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer like, right now.
HAHAHA, I just watched that epsiode the other day--"Bad Girls," it was called. The DJ at the Bronze played "Chinese Burn," and Buffy and Faith were dancing all sleazy with each other.

Pixiessp
07-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Curve: British female-fronted shoegaze early 90's, superhot singer, although she'd be in her 40's by now. Garbage totally ripped them off.

Albums go from really shoegazey MBV-ish to more radio-friendly poppy stuff more like Garbage

Pubic Fruit
Doppelganger
Cuckoo
Come Clean
Gift

They also have songs on the Nowhere soundtrack and the Doom Generation soundtrack.

amyzzz,you are the shiznet. i love Curve. Toni Halliday is a hottie for sure.

Boourns
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Girls never do lesfaux dancing and such at clubs for attention IRL.

MissingPerson
07-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Buffy and Faith do though. Also, go to cooler clubs.

EDIT: Also, Buffy was one of the consistently best soundtrack'ed shows on television, and I miss it like a bitch.

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Girls never do lesfaux dancing and such at clubs for attention IRL.
You've never been to Scottsdale, apparently.

Boourns
07-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Sarcasm.

But on a serious note, I would fully support a Curve reunion.

BlackSwan
07-14-2008, 04:39 PM
http://entimg.msn.com/img/prov_ap/200_80/pic200/drP000/P035/p03591jd28v.jpg

this thread has gone some funny directions... though... any thing is refreshing after a Arcade Fire and Muse fanboy circle jerk.

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Holy shit, I just did an image search on Toni Halliday, and she has something new out called Chatelaine.

link: http://parasitesandsycophants.blogspot.com/2008/04/toni-halliday-returns-with-chatelaine.html

For over a decade Toni Halliday was the lead singer and co-writer for Curve, directing the group through a number of releases, from 1992's Doppelgänger to 2004's The Way of Curve. During and since her time in Curve, Halliday has enjoyed successful collaborative stints with the likes of Leftfield, Future Sound of London, Paul Van Dyke, Recoil (Ex-Depeche Mode's Alan Wilder) and most recently, the Killers' Christmas Charity single ("A Great Big Sled"). Now Toni returns as Chatelaine, and you can chat with her live tonight on Aural Bliss Radio at 10PM-Midnight EST.
That was from April 14th, 2008.

So this is how she looks now:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:OhPgQIjk82Sg0M:http://bp3.blogger.com/_hXyrutWGl9U/SAOczrK8DpI/AAAAAAAADbo/3DUQZJnLBrg/s400/tony%2Bhaliday.jpg

Pixiessp
07-14-2008, 04:46 PM
still gorgeous!

Cdubby
07-14-2008, 04:47 PM
yup, id hit it

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 04:48 PM
It seems like whe she's in Curve, she has black hair, but when she's in side projects (like Scylla and this new one Chatelaine), she has bleached hair.

Sorry, this is so off-topic.

Boourns
07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
2009 should be the year of reunions of bands with short names. Pulp, Curve, Ride FTW

Backwater
07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Lush

Pixiessp
07-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Talk

Pixiessp
07-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Talk

PassiveTheory
07-14-2008, 05:30 PM
The Smiths

frozen pilgrim
07-14-2008, 05:32 PM
hey, what did that chick do with FSOL?

BobCaygeon
07-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Pubic Fruit
Doppelganger
Cuckoo
Come Clean
Gift

I liked Horror Head a lot, but I'm not sure they'll be a headliner soon. Or, have I lost where this thread has gotten to?

sbessiso
07-15-2008, 06:25 AM
has anyone mentioned arcade fire and muse?

woogie846
07-15-2008, 08:19 AM
has anyone mentioned arcade fire and muse?

i lol'd.

rage patton
07-15-2008, 09:05 AM
What is all this I have read about MIA retiring? Although it would make me happy beyond measure... she is playing a couple dates on the Warped Tour this year. That can only mean she hasn't retired.

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
What is all this I have read about MIA retiring? Although it would make me happy beyond measure... she is playing a couple dates on the Warped Tour this year. That can only mean she hasn't retired.

she probably was spouting off about retiring in some incoherent rant somewhere...who knows?

frozen pilgrim
07-15-2008, 09:25 AM
she was last spotted stumbling through the street, staring at the sky, and yelling at god to 'turn off the lights so she can party, or else she's retiring'

bmack86
07-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Agreed

aeroplanee
07-15-2008, 11:27 PM

is there any conformation anywhere that its THE M.I.A.?????

Edit: its not......

It's These Guys (http://miaband.com/node/27)

Dreamer4Ever
07-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I expect great things from Resident Hero.

Boourns
07-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Imagine having caught this tour back in 1992:
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Spiritualized
Curve

Backwater
07-16-2008, 12:22 AM

Those guys won't retire anytime soon because they are so much better than little miss epic fail.

bmack86
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM

She said something at the end of one of her sets that claimed it was her last show. She cancelled all her subsequent shows and hasn't said anything to the contrary.

From Wikipedia:M.I.A. toured during the first half of 2008, with opening tourmates including Holy Fuck, before stating she would end touring in support of Kala, cancelling her European tour dates through June and July, opting to start on a new album. Stating "This is my last show, and I'm glad I'm spending it with all my hippies," M.I.A performed a set at the Bonnaroo Music Festival.[56][57][58][59]

She hasn't said anything about a new album, so that's kinda made up.

Cdubby
07-16-2008, 11:10 AM
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Spiritualized
Curve

that would have been pretty neat

amyzzz
07-16-2008, 11:36 AM
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Spiritualized
Curve
If only I was travelling out of state to see tours then, I would've gone. That tour did not make it to AZ. I saw Curve the next year 1993 I believe.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
She said something at the end of one of her sets that claimed it was her last show. She cancelled all her subsequent shows and hasn't said anything to the contrary.

From Wikipedia:M.I.A. toured during the first half of 2008, with opening tourmates including Holy Fuck, before stating she would end touring in support of Kala, cancelling her European tour dates through June and July, opting to start on a new album. Stating "This is my last show, and I'm glad I'm spending it with all my hippies," M.I.A performed a set at the Bonnaroo Music Festival.[56][57][58][59]

I think she's retiring to focus on designing horrific day glo clothing...maybe get a job with Nylon Magazine

Boourns
07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
If only I was travelling out of state to see tours then, I would've gone. That tour did not make it to AZ. I saw Curve the next year 1993 I believe.

Nice. How were they?

I really need some Curve mp3's...all I have are youtube videos.

amyzzz
07-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I thought Curve were really great live. Toni Halliday had incredible stage presence--she would stare down people in the audience like she was stalking someone. Awesome. Sometimes her pitch tended to go a bit sharp but overall really, really good.

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
i like what i hear from curve on youtube. where should i start album-wise?

amyzzz
07-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Do you like shoegazer-stuff or Garbage more?

BlackSwan
07-16-2008, 12:43 PM

or you're wrong...

In more hopeful news, the singer hinted at a forthcoming record to NYMag.com: "I've been writing on tour. I'm really into writing new songs. I'm going to put out a new record instead [of touring]. At the end of the day, I'm here, you know."

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/51226-mia-cancels-european-tour

rage patton
07-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Well, at least she wont be polluting festivals anymore.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 12:50 PM
or you're wrong...

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/51226-mia-cancels-european-tour

well, the article you quoted was originally written prior to Bonnaroo, and the retirement statement was made at Bonnaroo, so......

BlackSwan
07-16-2008, 12:54 PM
so......

you seriously believe that M.I.A. is going to completely retire?

Boourns
07-16-2008, 12:55 PM
$10 says M.I.A. suicide bombs a bus full of children for the Tamil Tigers.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
you seriously believe that M.I.A. is going to completely retire?

no not really, I was just pointing out the chronological order of the 2 articles...I honestly don't care, I was really into her when she first was around, I just think she's turned into a bit of a diva

I do know that plenty of artists get turned off by the entire touring process though, so its not impossible

humanoid
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
$10 says M.I.A. suicide bombs a bus full of children for the Tamil Tigers.

or that

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Do you like shoegazer-stuff or Garbage more?

i'd go with garbage

amyzzz
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Start with Come Clean, Gift, and/or Cuckoo (typed in my order of preference)

Doppelganger and Pubic Fruit are serious shoegaze.

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 01:33 PM
on it

MarkO
07-18-2008, 04:03 PM
'The Coast is Clear' was their best single by far.

C1RfhJzqUtw

schoolofruckus
07-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Led Zeppelin use a bow on a guitar.

Decemberists have songs with titles like "Odalisque" and lyrics that go:

Affix your barb and bayonet
The curlews carve their Arabesques

Their pretense makes Pitchfork essayists blush. I like them - but seriously, shut the fuck up.

Backwater
07-18-2008, 05:25 PM
The Decemberists are one of the worst bands in the world right now.

kreutz2112
07-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I wish they wrote more songs like the perfect crime and when the war came.

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 05:35 PM
i like the decemberists live. they have fun and make it a great experience.
you'd think they'd be serious dicks, but they're not. it's fun to see them annoy hipsters with their wacky antics.

i hate zeppelin.

Backwater
07-18-2008, 06:46 PM
i hate zeppelin.

??????????????????????????????

Which albums have you heard?

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 07:34 PM
IV and all their radio songs.
never got into it. some critic got it right when he said they were nothing but a bunch of show offs.

apostle2
07-18-2008, 07:59 PM
never got into it. some critic got it right when he said they were nothing but a bunch of show offs.

IV is the worst album of the first four. Listen to the first album, it's not overblown/pompous/whatever, it's just insanely good rock and roll.

schoolofruckus
07-18-2008, 08:26 PM
i like the decemberists live. they have fun and make it a great experience.
you'd think they'd be serious dicks, but they're not. it's fun to see them annoy hipsters with their wacky antics.

i hate zeppelin.

I agree with what you're saying here about Decemberists, but that doesn't mean the guy doesn't insert his head deep into his own rectum when he's writing songs.

Are you basing pretense on how much of a dick the band in question is? I've never met Sigur Ros, but I don't see how you would get the impression that they're a bunch of Gallaghers.

Backwater
07-18-2008, 08:53 PM

John Paul Jones is the biggest show off ever, let me tell you. John Bonham was always showing off with too many unnecessary fills too. You've never even listened to Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffitti or the first three albums? Well your opinion really counts, a whole lot. You're like that guy who said Radiohead is shit after just hearing Hail to the Thief and Creep.

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 08:56 PM
I agree with what you're saying here about Decemberists, but that doesn't mean the guy doesn't insert his head deep into his own rectum when he's writing songs.

Are you basing pretense on how much of a dick the band in question is? I've never met Sigur Ros, but I don't see how you would get the impression that they're a bunch of Gallaghers.

yeah, meloy does use fancy words in his songs and he bases them off of obscure lit, but i like the humor he brings to it. he's not trying to make statements or anything, he's just being creative. pretentious, yeah i see it, but outside the studio the band is a delight, which makes them pretty cool.

Sigur Ros: i don't hate the music, but i just don't get what they're trying to be. see: () but whatver, if you dig the music, enjoy it.

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 08:58 PM
John Paul Jones is the biggest show off ever, let me tell you. John Bonham was always showing off with too many unnecessary fills too. You've never even listened to Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffitti or the first three albums? Well your opinion really counts, a whole lot. You're like that guy who said Radiohead is shit after just hearing Hail to the Thief and Creep.

radiohead's pretty good. maybe a live viewing could change that, unless they conflict at outside lands.
some people tell me Zep IV is their magnum opus, so that's where i got my opinions. i'm downloading I, so let's see what happens.
i got into the Who through what someone told me was their best album, Who's Next. now I looove the Who.

Backwater
07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Come on now man, eveyone and their great grandpa knows that Houses of the Holy is the only Zep album that really matters.

apostle2
07-18-2008, 09:19 PM
well it's hard to really suggest one zep album that spans the entire career, it's so different. I would suggest one early, one late. My late choice would indeed be houses of the holy though.

apostle2
07-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Also, I disliked zeppelin for a long time, and the first album is what actually got me personally to like them. I still very much dislike both II and IV

Backwater
07-18-2008, 10:05 PM
I guess you hate the Beatles too right, zenidogx?

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 10:11 PM
I guess you hate the Beatles too right, zenidogx?

what gives you that idea?

Backwater
07-18-2008, 10:23 PM
i hate zeppelin.

That's what gives me that idea.

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 10:37 PM
zeppelin and beatles?
i know some peeps that love Zep, but can't stand the Beatles.
i'm the opposite. unless things change.

I <3 the Beatles.
seen Macca and Ringo live and would like to see them again, if i could afford it.

i'll also throw in my fondness of Cream's first two albums. if you can guide me to which Zeppelin albums sound like that, then we could make a start.

orbit
07-18-2008, 10:42 PM
muse and arcade fire.

sbessiso
07-18-2008, 10:46 PM
muse and arcade fire.

aww I was gunna say that! :pulse!

Backwater
07-18-2008, 10:53 PM
i know some peeps that love Zep, but can't stand the Beatles.

Well they're just as lost, just flip flop the two bands. If you don't like Houses of the Holy then you have no soul. Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath are also great bands that you should listen to. How old are you anyway?

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Well they're just as lost, just flip flop the two bands. If you don't like Houses of the Holy then you have no soul. Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath are also great bands that you should listen to. How old are you anyway?

i dig Pink Floyd. loved Waters. saw him for the second time at the fest. skipped the Sahara marathon for his greatness.

Black Sabbath i only know through War Pigs. the Flaming Lips covered it for their encore at the Hollywood Bowl and then guitar hero came out. but i never tried Black Sabbath. suggestions for them?

the Beatles do pop songs, i guess thats why some peeps don't like them. my drummer buddies hate ringo's drumming.

woogie846
07-18-2008, 11:31 PM
That's because Ringo isn't a very good drummer.

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 11:35 PM
i think he's very technically sound.

Backwater
07-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Did somebody order a newbie? becaue there's one right here ....

Suggestions for Black Sabbath????? How about anything they've ever wrote.

paulb
07-19-2008, 01:04 AM
you've never heard Black Sabbath!?

Iron Man
Paranoid
Fairies Wear Boots
N.I.B.
Children of the grave

check out those tracks.

Backwater
07-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Faires Wear Boots but you gotta believe now...

Sweet Leaf

crazzz2007
07-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Muse. i've heard their live shows are life-changing. plus they do have mainstream appeal.

you've heard wrong

crazzz2007
07-20-2008, 10:40 PM
good call on Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

i'm surprised no one has said Wilco yet.

I also think the Flaming Lips are a headlining band.

I think the following have potential in a couple of years, maybe even less time:

- MMJ
- Gnarls Barkley
- Acrade Fire
- Muse
- The White Stripes
- Arctic Monkeys
- Interpol
- Kings of Leon

bands that aren't as ready as some people in this thread think:

- LCD Soundsystem
- Gogol Bordello
- The National

there is no way in hell that Granls Barkley would ever become big enough to headline before LCD Soundsystem does. I don't think either will, but if one of them does, it'll be LCD

Boourns
07-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Well, Gnarls Barkley has a head start on LCD since they actually get radio play (excessively so).

crazzz2007
07-20-2008, 10:47 PM

Friday - Arcade Fire
Saturday - Muse
Sunday - Oasis

Please.

i agree only with oasis. i cannot stand the other 2.