PDA

View Full Version : AZ D'BACK Baseball...as well as other MLB talk

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Been talking a lot about the woeful Diamondback offense on the Phoenix thread. We are boring some people over there.
So here is a thread to talk about our D'backs & all things baseball.

Hopeless Semantic
07-12-2008, 03:45 PM
What we need...another AZ thread sheesh :)

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Nice win today! Finally good to see the offense get going. And it is always good to get Randy another win!!

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 03:46 PM
What we need...another AZ thread sheesh :)

Consider it a baseball thread :) HS !

Hopeless Semantic
07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Last night the best name in Beisbol, Roy Halladay pitched a goddamn jem. How come it is that CC or Zambrano get all the hype when this guy is money? Dude was smokin' on the Yanks last night. And in those really atrocious jerseys? Priceless.

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Last night the best name in Beisbol, Roy Halladay pitched a goddamn jem. How come it is that CC or Zambrano get all the hype when this guy is money? Dude was smokin' on the Yanks last night. And in those really atrocious jerseys? Priceless.

He is unreal! All those complete games are badass!
I think the best name though in baseball is Wily Mo Pena....
I love that name!

Hopeless Semantic
07-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Ching Ming Wang is cool too...it's like something a Chinese relative of Randy would be named ;)

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Are you a Dodger fan?

vinylmartyr
07-12-2008, 04:05 PM
That snake rattle they play during the games is dumb.

Hopeless Semantic
07-12-2008, 04:06 PM
To be honest, I don't really watch besibol. I do follow the Angels though, if I were to follow an L.A. team. I think, though, the Dodgers have a slew of really hot latina girls following them--so I have to give them credit there.

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 04:32 PM
To be honest, I don't really watch besibol. I do follow the Angels though, if I were to follow an L.A. team. I think, though, the Dodgers have a slew of really hot latina girls following them--so I have to give them credit there.

You got that right!
I still go to Dodger Stadium once a year or so & I see that.

I grew up a Dodger fan, but the Dbacks won me over several years back.

Mr. Dylanja
07-12-2008, 05:02 PM
How bout those D-Backs? Randy with the best at bat of his life probably. Fucking finally we got the sticks going.

And Coco Crisp has got to be the best name, hands down.

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 07:00 PM
How bout those D-Backs? Randy with the best at bat of his life probably. Fucking finally we got the sticks going.

And Coco Crisp has got to be the best name, hands down.

You got a valid point-- COCO FUCKING CRISP!!!
Great at bat for the big fella...all those fouls & then he nailed it.
All those 8 runs happened with 2 outs!

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Please, guys, you don't need to praise me that much. I barely play the game.

suprefan
07-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Been talking a lot about the woeful Diamondback offense on the Phoenix thread. We are boring some people over there.
So here is a thread to talk about our D'backs & all things baseball.

There is a baseball thread and, yeah D backs my ass, the west sucks and your team cant sustain a lead in the division. You wont even get the wild card, much less the division.

Mr. Dylanja
07-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Please, guys, you don't need to praise me that much. I barely play the game.

Fuckin-A Randy, you came thru huge for us today, thank you.
Also, how did your nickname The Big Unit originate???

Chris, talk shit about the D-Backs all you want but notice there was not one mention of your beloved Dodgers. At least we can suck and a STILL lead the division, we won't get any worse than we recently have been. Which means you already blew your chance...

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 10:11 PM
There is a baseball thread and, yeah D backs my ass, the west sucks and your team cant sustain a lead in the division. You wont even get the wild card, much less the division.

Yep, we do struggle as often as we don't, yep the NL West SUCKS, BUT we are in first place by 2 games with a .500 record in mid-July.
We need somewhere to bitch about our woeful hitting, shitty middle relievers & poor defense.
And somewhere to praise & show pity on our wonderful starting pitching.
Since we got run from the Phoenix Thread, this is as good of a place as any to talk about all that crap...

Mr. Dylanja
07-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Don't show him any sympathy man, he's a fucking Dodgers fan!

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Don't show him any sympathy man, he's a fucking Dodgers fan!

they lost in extra innings tonight!
We talk about how we can't hit....they REALLY struggle at the plate.

Mr. Dylanja
07-12-2008, 10:21 PM
...they REALLY struggle at the plate.

Isn't everybody in LA anorexic?

bakersfield
07-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Isn't everybody in LA anorexic?

so true :)

Mr. Dylanja
07-13-2008, 11:34 AM
What the hell did I miss in the top of the 7th today?

EDIT: I HATE CHAD QUALLS!

EDIT#2: I REALLY REALLY HATE CHAD QUALLS!

bakersfield
07-13-2008, 12:56 PM
What the hell did I miss in the top of the 7th today?

EDIT: I HATE CHAD QUALLS!

EDIT#2: I REALLY REALLY HATE CHAD QUALLS!

Qualls is such a JACKASS! Another quality start down the drain!

TomAz
07-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I think Qualls is done. God I hope so. how many games has he single handedly cost us this season? 5? 10?

Mr. Dylanja
07-13-2008, 11:27 PM
When's my boy Johnny Cruz coming back?

And the rest of the DL for that matter.

PassiveTheory
07-14-2008, 03:16 AM
I love how everybody has no problems trash talking the NL West this year when last year most of the teams were over .500. Fucking bastards...

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 06:28 AM
I think Qualls is done. God I hope so. how many games has he single handedly cost us this season? 5? 10?

Probably at least 10. He has lost 7 Then there are plenty where we had a lead & then they tied it on him .....then we went on to lose later.
They keep throwing his ass out there. Pena has sucked too lately!

When will CY start hitting again?

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
So, K-Rod is on his way to shattering the single season saves record, and that's pretty cool. I think he deserves whomever signs him after this year and he'll definitely make some bullpen distinguishable for years to come.

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 08:21 AM
So, K-Rod is on his way to shattering the single season saves record, and that's pretty cool. I think he deserves whomever signs him after this year and he'll definitely make some bullpen distinguishable for years to come.

The Angels need to pony up & give him what he wants.
I am sure Arte will do that.

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 08:25 AM
The Angels need to pony up & give him what he wants.
I am sure Arte will do that.

I agree. I don't really follow them, but that would be the wisest thing to do. They're a team that's like 36-19 in games decided by 2 or less runs and that's leading the majors. I'm sure Frankie has a whole lot to do with that.

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 09:03 AM
He is an amazing talent & still really young.

You watching HR Derby tonight?
I like it in concept, but it seems it gets a bit long (being that it is a made-for-TV drama).

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
I can barely stomach all the Yankee Stadium ad nauseam nostalgic tripe as it is. No way am I going to sit through 5 hours of stadium fellatio to the point it impregnates every ovulating female Yankee fan. I don't even watch the All-Star game for any sport, so no I will be probably playing basketball or something.

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 09:40 AM
I can barely stomach all the Yankee Stadium ad nauseam nostalgic tripe as it is. No way am I going to sit through 5 hours of stadium fellatio to the point it impregnates every ovulating female Yankee fan. I don't even watch the All-Star game for any sport, so no I will be probably playing basketball or something.

I am one of those baseball nuts that will check in on the HR Derby throughout, but even I cannot sit & watch the whole thing.

Hype in all sports has gotten so annoying!

Super Bowl has gotta be the worst.

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 09:45 AM
I am one of those baseball nuts that will check in on the HR Derby throughout, but even I cannot sit & watch the whole thing.

Hype in all sports has gotten so annoying!

Super Bowl has gotta be the worst.

Dude, you're telling me! The night before and day of the Super Bowl is freakin retarded. Why do I care if Michael Strahan made cupcakes one day and forgot to grind the flour. Even if it lead to the atrocious gap in his front two teeth. It has NO relevance to the damn game. If they didn't dilute the damn day and actually put their effort on the sagging commercials, we wouldn't see waning numbers of viewership.

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Dude, you're telling me! The night before and day of the Super Bowl is freakin retarded. Why do I care if Michael Strahan made cupcakes one day and forgot to grind the flour. Even if it lead to the atrocious gap in his front two teeth. It has NO relevance to the damn game. If they didn't dilute the damn day and actually put their effort on the sagging commercials, we wouldn't see waning numbers of viewership.

You have no idea how bad the hype was in AZ this year.
The game was 10 minutes from my house & it was so sickening how you could not get away from the hype anywhere you turned for 2+ weeks.

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 09:53 AM
You have no idea how bad the hype was in AZ this year.
The game was 10 minutes from my house & it was so sickening how you could not get away from the hype anywhere you turned for 2+ weeks.

Well, last year had alot of manufactured b.s. in regards to the Patriots. I mean, you had the most annoying franchise trying to become the "best" team in NFL history and smash on the idea that they were cheaters. You also had the no. 1 team in the country's largest sports media market on the other side as the everyday joe underdog, so yeah, I can imagine how nonsensical it was for you PHX residents.

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
HR Derby....
who is going to win it?

My money is on Braun....

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't think Vlade can repeat...I'm thinking Hamilton.

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't think Vlade can repeat...I'm thinking Hamilton.

that guy in an ANIMAL! Can you believe the first half he has had?

humanoid
07-14-2008, 04:06 PM
HR Derby....
who is going to win it?

My money is on Braun....

Ryan Braun has a 399 LCF to deal with at Yankee Stadium.....my $$ is on a lefty...Josh Hamilton

Chase Utley would win if it were at Philly

humanoid
07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I think Morneau could win it too

Mr. Dylanja
07-14-2008, 04:11 PM
How many of the contestants are on roids?

humanoid
07-14-2008, 04:16 PM

probably not steroids, but some new designer substance that can't be detected yet

Mr. Dylanja
07-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Same thing, who's juicin, all of them?

humanoid
07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Same thing, who's juicin, all of them?

probably

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 04:38 PM
I forgot how left-handed friendly Yankees Stadium is. Supposedly they kept the same dimensions for the new park, but I don't see it being so lovely for the southpaws this time around. How about your AZ Diamondbacks who gave away Dan Uggla for 50,000.

Mr. Dylanja
07-14-2008, 04:48 PM
How about your AZ Diamondbacks who gave away Dan Uggla for 50,000.

Thanks for the reminder. Don't forget about Carlos Quentin either.

humanoid
07-14-2008, 04:50 PM
ooh...those are 2 tough ones

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 04:55 PM

Mr. D.....who is your pick?

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
ooh...those are 2 tough ones

So tough!
I gotta admit that I hated Carlos Q. last year.
He was awful! But a highly touted prospect, so I guess
they should not have given up on him so easily.

Chris Young & Justin Upton should have many all-star games in their future!

humanoid
07-14-2008, 05:06 PM
So tough!
I gotta admit that I hated Carlos Q. last year.
He was awful! But a highly touted prospect, so I guess
they should not have given up on him so easily.

Chris Young & Justin Upton should have many all-star games in their future!

its tough when guys are talented, but slow to develop, then you watch them blow up somewhere else...

Young & Upton are both dynamic players, but Young needs to make a little more contact and settle down a bit if he wants a long career....the .296 OBP is a killer....has he been hurt? he stole like 27 bases last year, but only has 5 so far....

I love Upton's upside...kid's a stud, and only 20

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
I was sweating it...but Braun got hot before it was too late.
Watch Hamilton put on a show...

menikmati
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
God, the home run derby is so fucking boring.

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 05:27 PM
God, the home run derby is so fucking boring.

It drags a bit, but it's fun

menikmati
07-14-2008, 05:28 PM
drags too long...you think they would try to update it so it would move faster

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Here is your hat Menik, now consume...

Did anyone see what Josh Hamilton just did? If there is one story you can't forget from baseball, its his.

menikmati
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah that was exciting, but the three hours before that? Not so good.

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Watch Hamilton put on a show...

I didn't imagine it would be that good of a show! JESUS!!!

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah, you got me there...lol

Interesting kid though, there were reports he would be found laying on curbs in stupors. I guess its apropos that the guy who is doing the first/last home run derby is not unlike the guy who built the place (Ruth)

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
I didn't imagine it would be that good of a show! JESUS!!!

I called it, Mr. Field.

Mr. Dylanja
07-14-2008, 06:29 PM
I was driving home, how many did he jack?

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 06:30 PM
He put up 28 in the first round and took the 2nd round off...but took some swings...I think he had 32.

PassiveTheory
07-14-2008, 06:36 PM
32?!? Jesus.

Mr. Dylanja
07-14-2008, 06:38 PM
He put up 28 in the first round and took the 2nd round off...but took some swings...I think he had 32.

Sounds like me at my keg-a-base league =)

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I guess he ran out of gas. I knew he should've waited out the 2nd round.

TomAz
07-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I dunno if it was him or his pitcher that ran out of gas. but no way does Morneau deserve that win.

Also, the home run derby is a stupid, pathetic, made for TV, reality show-esque even with no merit whatsoever.

did you see the tats on him though?

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
I dunno if it was him or his pitcher that ran out of gas. but no way does Morneau deserve that win.

Also, the home run derby is a stupid, pathetic, made for TV, reality show-esque even with no merit whatsoever.

did you see the tats on him though?

And the fact they kept mentioning that he hated them. Yes, we know ESPN, but damn let the poor guy's story remain his to tell.

menikmati
07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
They need to devise a new format...like at tournament kind of thing, 8 guys...each with a one on one match...sorta like the march madness kind of tournament. I think that would be better.

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 08:39 PM
They need to do it like in the old MLB games. Set up targets denoting certain points and the points could equal $$$s to the charities of their choices. Then perhaps they could have something a la Rock N' Jock Softball. Some of y'all probably don't remember those, but they had homerun balls of 2,3, and 5 pts.

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I called it, Mr. Field.

Disappointing, but understandable that he was too tired to win it.

I watched the first round live & then DVR'd the rest as I took my boy to the skatepark.
Then I could race through & watch the rest when I got home.
That's the way to watch something like that!

Hopeless Semantic
07-14-2008, 08:46 PM
man, I felt lame...

I haven't been able to call something...well, I did call the Euro Cup correctly but still...

TomAz
07-14-2008, 09:34 PM
They need to devise a new format...like at tournament kind of thing, 8 guys...each with a one on one match...sorta like the march madness kind of tournament. I think that would be better.

HOME RUN DEATH MATCH!!!!

bakersfield
07-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I'd like to see the NL whoop the AL's ass tomorrow night!

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:29 AM
did anyone notice how long they took to interview Morneau and present him the trophy???? sucked for him...the entire crowd was gone!! he was holding up his trophy to an empty Yankee Stadium

I think it was a combination of Hamilton getting tired, but I think the greater impact was on his 71 yr old pitcher.....later in the last round, his pitches were dying and tailing down and away quite often....pretty impressive for a 71 yr old though

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 10:32 AM
It was impressive all the way around!
And really, does not matter who won the trophy.
Today everyone is talking about Hamilton, not Morneau.
Hamilton is a big winner in public opinion after that awesome display!

humanoid
07-15-2008, 10:39 AM
It was impressive all the way around!
And really, does not matter who won the trophy.
Today everyone is talking about Hamilton, not Morneau.
Hamilton is a big winner in public opinion after that awesome display!

yeah, I was rooting for Hamilton, although I don't really care who won it anyways....I just thought it was shitty the way that the thing was handled afterwards....Hamilton was much more entertaining either way...I just hope he keeps it up in the 2nd half, for his sake, and my fantasy team!

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Can the NL turn the tide on the AL's absolute domination?
I am kinda thinking so (or is that HOPING so?).....

Hopeless Semantic
07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Just Hamilton being up there and presenting himself on the biggest stage in baseball is epic enough. This guy, for the lack of a better term, was dead to rights a few years back. I mean, ruining all the talent in the world, but he changed his way and still managed to come back. I clap for you Mr. Hamilton.

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Just Hamilton being up there and presenting himself on the biggest stage in baseball is epic enough. This guy, for the lack of a better term, was dead to rights a few years back. I mean, ruining all the talent in the world, but he changed his way and still managed to come back. I clap for you Mr. Hamilton.

it is in an amazing story! Hopefully he can stay focused & not jump back off the wagon like a Steve Howe, D. Strawberry or Dwight Gooden. I am sure the temptation will be there, hopefully he stays strong. He is a guy I will always pull for...that is for sure!

Hopeless Semantic
07-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Though, the beginning differences between Hamilton and those guys--is that he hones up to his problems being his and only his to burden. The others always found ways to blame others for their mistakes. That's what's missing in today's world, and that is why I find Hamilton more likeable than Howe RIP, Strawberry, and Gooden. He also tries to mentor teens who are facing the same road he did.

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 04:44 PM
That deal with all the Hall of Famers gave me goosebumps! WOW!

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 05:06 PM
that was a cool display of old timers.

shame pete rose aint there.

Mr. Dylanja
07-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Charlie Hustle is my boy!

that is all

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 05:26 PM
that was a cool display of old timers.

shame pete rose aint there.

He was the best baseball player I have ever seen.
It is a joke he is not in the Hall!

All his mistakes were AFTER he played!

humanoid
07-15-2008, 05:39 PM
It sucks, but I guarantee if Pete Rose had handled his situation differently than he did forever, he would already be forgiven

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 05:43 PM
yep.

he played the game the way it was meant to be played

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Poor Dan Uggla!

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 09:07 PM
choke!
three errors
two strikeouts
and GIDP

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 09:07 PM
it's a good game, but we're watching the second and third stringers

DRcube
07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
fucking nasty choke on ugglas part

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Webb's sinker is filthy!

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 09:19 PM
that's not filthy, it's nasty!

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I hate to admit it, because baseball is one of my absolute favorite things in the world.....but I'm getting a little bored now...

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Come on Uggla! Hit the ball!

DRcube
07-15-2008, 09:22 PM
damn that suck

bakersfield
I hate to admit it, because baseball is one of my absolute favorite things in the world.....but I'm getting a little bored now...

Can you imagine being on the east coast? 1:30? !!

DRcube
uggla will never be the same again

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Can you imagine being on the east coast? 1:30? !!

that wouldn't bother me that much, I don't sleep much.....I'm just sick of sitting on my ass in front of the TV!!

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:24 PM
that wouldn't bother me that much, I don't sleep much.....I'm just sick of sitting on my ass in front of the TV!!

AL is out of pitchers. This is kinda funny! I hate Bud Selig :)

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:26 PM
AL is out of pitchers. This is kinda funny! I hate Bud Selig :)

it sucks to try and manage this, because obviously, you try and get everyone in the game within reason...but now they're screwed.....and they can't burn out Kazmir

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 09:27 PM
they put k-rod in for one out . . . bites them in the ass.

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:28 PM
they put k-rod in for one out . . . bites them in the ass.

and now home field for WS rides on it.
What do they do?

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 09:30 PM
like joe buck said, put in the hall of famers.

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I think its absolutely retarded that World Series home field advantage rides on the freakin All Star Game

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't want to hear Joe Buck or Tim McCarvers voice again for another year and a half

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I think its absolutely retarded that World Series home field advantage rides on the freakin All Star Game

Me too....they are in a fucking pickle right now!

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:33 PM
uggla will never be the same again

He is so nervous...it is crazy!

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't want to hear Joe Buck or Tim McCarvers voice again for another year and a half

mccarver is the worst broadcaster ever.

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 09:35 PM

i also dont like that every team gets represented. and the every guy plays thing.

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 09:39 PM
it's over!!!!!

finally!!!!!!!1

poor NL.

Sushov23
07-15-2008, 09:41 PM
who won All-Star MVP.

menikmati
07-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I think having the home field be up for grabs in an all star game is stupid.

zenidogx
07-15-2008, 09:43 PM
best record should determine home field.
either way, the AL would get it.

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:43 PM
its very stupid

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I definitely think that best record should earn homefield advantage

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:45 PM
I think having the home field be up for grabs in an all star game is stupid.

That was a total knee-jerk thing by dumbshit Selig after that tie several years back. DUMB!
I would have liked to see what he would have done if they had to end tonights game.

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:46 PM
i also dont like that every team gets represented. and the every guy plays thing.

I don't like it, but from a fans standpoint, I can understand it...it should be an exhibition like it used to be....just good marketing and fun for the whole league

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Look at Bud...such a tool!

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:48 PM
its kinda funny to give a guy making $14 mil a year a Chevy Tahoe

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Fuck...now what...I guess I will watch Sportscenter as they disect it all over AND over....

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm not even going to turn on ESPN tonight or tomorrow...

menikmati
07-15-2008, 09:52 PM
They need to do something to stop these would be ties....I know these kind of situations may not happen that too often...but it's happened (almost) twice now in 6 years....these days with all the special care given to pitchers, I think there's a good chance many all star games can have these would be tie scenarios. So either amend the rules for the all-star game where you maybe put other pitchers back in, or expand the roster to have an extra 5 or so pitchers laying around, or maybe do something really gutsy (and stupid - but I could imagine Bud doing it) and have something where if after 13 or so innings, the thing is tied, go to a home run sudden death kind of thing. I'd rather watch that than see Bud throw his hands up in the air.

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:54 PM
They need to do something to stop these would be ties....I know these kind of situations may not happen that too often...but it's happened (almost) twice now in 6 years....these days with all the special care given to pitchers, I think there's a good chance many all star games can have these would be tie scenarios. So either amend the rules for the all-star game where you maybe put other pitchers back in, or expand the roster to have an extra 5 or so pitchers laying around, or maybe do something really gutsy (and stupid - but I could imagine Bud doing it) and have something where if after 13 or so innings, the thing is tied, go to a home run sudden death kind of thing. I'd rather watch that than see Bud throw his hands up in the air.

I agree...
they can't just "hope" it doesn't happen.

humanoid
07-15-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't even care if it ends in a tie....ASG doesn't matter to me at all, I wish it had no importance like it used to, remove the manufactured drama

Its fun to watch, but if it was a tie...then so be it

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't even care if it ends in a tie....ASG doesn't matter to me at all, I wish it had no importance like it used to, remove the manufactured drama

Its fun to watch, but if it was a tie...then so be it

Good point.
They could take the home field away next year & let it go like they used to...

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Next few days will be awful sports days with no baseball.
It will be ALL Brett Favre

humanoid
07-15-2008, 10:01 PM
that's true...quite a bit about Brett Favre...another thing I'm sick of hearing about!

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 10:02 PM
that's true...quite a bit about Brett Favre...another thing I'm sick of hearing about!

It will really suck for a couple of days.
Maybe I will just go on a drinking binge.

humanoid
07-15-2008, 10:05 PM
/\ good luck with that..always a worthy alternative

menikmati
07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm sick of Brett Farve. He's overrated too, there I said it.

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm sick of Brett Farve. He's overrated too, there I said it.

I am so sick of the story already & it will only get way crazier by time the season starts.

bakersfield
07-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Sounds like the FEDS have new evidence on Clemens tonight.
When it is all said & done who is going to end up in more trouble by both the govt. and in the court of public perception? Clemens or Bonds?

Mr. Dylanja
07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Clemens for sure, they're both assholes but Clemens goes out of his way to be a douche!

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 07:47 AM
I would say both. They both will be reviled as destroyers of the game and losers in the annuals of supposed legends. Their records will always come into question and that is the saddest part of what they've lied about. I mean, if they admitted to using the cream/clear, they'd probably would have no one hounding them. Since they're so persistent on stating their innnocence, they get thrown to the wolves over and over again.

I, though, believe the fall from grace will destroy Roger more than Barry. Barry was, is, always will be a total prick regardless. How much that has to do with his juicing is difficult to say, but he didn't go from beloved icon to questionable character guy who likes them young (a la Roman P. and R. Kelly).

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Right. Clemens was a "god of the game" as recently as last season. Amazing how quickly his legend collapsed..

mountmccabe
07-16-2008, 10:59 AM
best record should determine home field.
either way, the AL would get it.

This seems a little silly due to MLB's heavily unbalanced schedules and there being an extremely limited amount of interleague play. And, just for the record, INCREASING the amount of interleague play is NOT an acceptable answer.

Alternating years > All-Star Game > Record > Alphabetical > Home run off

MLB has a way of dealing with ties, additional innings.

Having someone who has already pitched go back in would be murder on his arm.

Also they have a ridiculous number of pitchers anyway; the real answer is that you save pitchers for the possibility of extra innings. Yes, that means some of those pitchers probably won't get to play but that's better than guys getting hurt.

A home run sudden death is an awful idea. Thinking about that almost makes me understand why I hear so many soccer fans complain about shoot-outs.

In my mind the roster is already bloated enough that they should easily be able to field a legal team for the entire game. And when you get to the point where you can't - they could use pitch count limits [say, the pitcher's in-season average or 40, whichever is lower] - then you forfeit.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I used to be a huge Clemens fan...what a disgrace the guy has become. I think the fall from grace is much more dramatic for Clemens, as he has always been revered and respected, now suddenly he is a pathetic liar, cheater & scumbag...Bonds has been hated and reviled for years by many, so I think he has grown accustomed to the scorn.

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
I never liked Clemens, so they're both idiots to me. He came off as arrogant and a cheater to me long before it became known. I hate pitchers anyways because they're all primadonnas nowadays. Go Bob Gibson!

humanoid
07-16-2008, 11:07 AM
This seems a little silly due to MLB's heavily unbalanced schedules and there being an extremely limited amount of interleague play. And, just for the record, INCREASING the amount of interleague play is NOT an acceptable answer.

Alternating years > All-Star Game > Record > Alphabetical > Home run off

Also they have a ridiculous number of pitchers anyway; the real answer is that you save pitchers for the possibility of extra innings. Yes, that means some of those pitchers probably won't get to play but that's better than guys getting hurt.

A home run sudden death is an awful idea. Thinking about that almost makes me understand why I hear so many soccer fans complain about shoot-outs.

In my mind the roster is already bloated enough that they should easily be able to field a legal team for the entire game. And when you get to the point where you can't - they could use pitch count limits [say, the pitcher's in-season average or 40, whichever is lower] - then you forfeit.

I don't like the sudden death idea either. As a huge soccer fan, I can't stand to watch a hard fought game end in a shoot out. It renders the rest of the game meaningless, and someone luckily wins via a shoot out. Its hardly a satisfactory way to win or lose.

Personally, i think that the All Star Game is silly anyways, so I hate that so much now rides on it. Obviously no one wants any pitchers to get hurt, and it sucks for fans of a team to not get to see their players play. I wish it were just a fun exhibition and a celebration of baseball, and if it happens to end in a tie, thats the way it is.

menikmati
07-16-2008, 11:13 AM

Yeah but there's no reason why a MLB game should end in a tie....you say don't put pitchers back in because it would mean murder to his arm, well that theory applies to how many innings you let them pitch then...obviously you let them pitch 2 innings at the most, anything more, someone could argue its murder on his arm for no good real reason....and from the looks of last night, there aren't obviously enough pitchers on the staff to truly prevent this from scenario from happening more often.

So it only seems reasonable to let the all-star team rosters have 5 or 6 more pitchers, just in case of scenarios like these. There's really no other way of dealing with it. Having a game end in a tie, especially with a stupid idea such as the winner getting home field for the world series, is just not an option.

They really need to get rid of that home field stipulation. Give home field to the team with the best record from the regular season. There's no other way to do it. Everyone will talk of unbalanced schedules and what not...you have 162 games in a season, you are major league teams....play and win as many as you can. The team with the most deserves the home field. Simple as that.

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
5 or 6 more pitchers is too much. maybe 1 more pitcher and 1 less position player. the managers should just use the rosters better.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 11:56 AM
the managers should just use the rosters better.

I agree that the manager needs to not try to be everybody's friend & try to get almost everyone into a 9 inning game....
Maybe have the All-Star game on Wed. so we don't get as much of this .."well he threw 110 pitches on Sunday..". That really handcuffs the managers, because they have guys on the roster that are not planning to pitch (Webb, Kazmir, Lincecum).
Have Monday, Tuesday off, Wed. AS game, Thursday off, Friday all teams resume schedule.....

humanoid
07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
each team is required to have a knuckleballer who can pitch the last 20 innings if necessary!!

humanoid
07-16-2008, 12:31 PM
I agree that the manager needs to not try to be everybody's friend & try to get almost everyone into a 9 inning game....
Maybe have the All-Star game on Wed. so we don't get as much of this .."well he threw 110 pitches on Sunday..". That really handcuffs the managers, because they have guys on the roster that are not planning to pitch (Webb, Kazmir, Lincecum).
Have Monday, Tuesday off, Wed. AS game, Thursday off, Friday all teams resume schedule.....

I see what you're saying, but I really don't want the All Star break to be any longer...I'm so in baseball mode right now, and the couple days off drives me nuts!!

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 01:16 PM
yeah, a long break makes sense, but it's not in the baseball spirit.

when did pitchers become so weak? guys used to hurl over 100 pitchers on three days rest. in the last ten years that has disappeared.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I see what you're saying, but I really don't want the All Star break to be any longer...I'm so in baseball mode right now, and the couple days off drives me nuts!!

Somehow, it has kind of gone to a longer break already.
Pisses me off...there are only 4 games tomorrow. Everyone else starts Friday.

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 02:12 PM
It's okay Fieldy...that means its one day closer to Aug 30th!!!!!!!

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 02:16 PM
each team is required to have a knuckleballer who can pitch the last 20 innings if necessary!!

That is pretty funny!

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 02:18 PM
When I pitched (no, not in that manner) I had a 4 pitch repretoire...four-seam fastball, circle change, slurve, and knuckle. Well, I technically only threw 3 pitches most of the times, but I loved throwing the knuckle lol.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Knuckleball is becoming a lost art.
When I was a kid there were the Niekro Brothers, Charlie Hough (Dodgers closer in late 70's--gave me heartburn everytime he pitched), Wilbur Wood & many others. Then in the 90's Tom Candiotti was good with the Dodgers.
Candyman is the Dback radio announcer now.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I am tired of hearing about Papelbon's wife's treatment at the parade yesterday. Papelbon is a tool!

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I modled my knuckle after Candiotti. When I was little, I used to mimic his pitch game after game. Until I got it down...though, my motion wasn't right for a knuckle and more suited for a power pitcher's arsenal.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
The Candyman was a badass.
Did you pitch in high school?

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
No. I made the mistake of wanting to play football. I mean, I don't think I would've been a pro in baseball, but I did play up to pony league. I think the fastest I threw was 91 at one time, but I wasn't going to be a Nolan Ryan. I wanted to be a linebacker, but broke my ankle before that got started and that finished my sports days.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I played 3rd base. We won the San Joaquin Valley Championship my senior year, but I was not good enough to play above high school.
Wanted to be....but wasn't.
I played one year of football & have had knee troubles ever since.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm so in baseball mode right now

Who do you root for humanoid?

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I threw was 91 at one time

Dude....91 is bringing it!

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
that was one pitch bakersfield

Mr. Dylanja
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
LET'S GO D-BACKS

GET THE BROOMS OUT, TIME TO SWEEP LA RIGHT OUT OF TOWN!!

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
lol I averaged in the mid 80's when I threw it hard...

I went to CSULB when Tulotwitzki and Jered Weaver were on the team and I watched that guy pitch and he threw like a beast...wow...

My delivery was alot like Pedro Martinez and it isn't the best on your shoulder.

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
None of you guys actually want to win the division...

I want the Rays to snap out of their funk.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I went to CSULB

So you are a DIRTBAG !!??

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Yup. I'm also slightly a Trojan (did some of my upper grad work there, too) I want to go back to finish but it took me a long time to pay off what I accrued there.

I used to go to the games all the time when Weaver/Tulo were there--I think I might've seen Evan Longorian play, too.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
yeah, a long break makes sense, but it's not in the baseball spirit.

when did pitchers become so weak? guys used to hurl over 100 pitchers on three days rest. in the last ten years that has disappeared.

well, its not the pitchers fault, its the way they're developed now

unfortunately, I think its a side effect of the huge financial aspect of baseball, guys are seen as investments, not just as future players, but financial investments...considering the signing bonuses a lot of draftees get, teams are terrified of blowing out their arms and losing $$$

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
well, its not the pitchers fault, its the way they're developed now

unfortunately, I think its a side effect of the huge financial aspect of baseball, guys are seen as investments, not just as future players, but financial investments...considering the signing bonuses a lot of draftees get, teams are terrified of blowing out their arms and losing $$$

You are right Mr. Humanoid...

If you look at the leader in CG shutouts...it is Randy Johnson @ 14...not a bad number if it weren't for a CAREER!!! If you look at Bob Gibson's '68 season...he had 13 CG shutouts...whoa. And a 1.12 ERA...

humanoid
07-16-2008, 03:22 PM
/\ pretty damn impressive...I wish I had gotten a chance to see Gibson & Koufax pitch

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Koufax was nails. The guy retired before injuries wrecked his life. The guy was pure dominance. Couple him Don Drysdale and Newcombe, and that frontline was way better than the celebrated Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz line-up of the 90's Braves. Love the latter, but no way you can deny the Dodgers of yore.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Who do you root for humanoid?

please don't hold it against me, but I am a lifelong Yankee fan, albeit a rational one!!...

I'll explain before anyone bitches at me about it...my grandpa played minor league ball affiliated with the Yankees right before WWII, so my entire mom's side were all Yankee fans...then the first 2 years I played, I was on the Yankees...then in my first pack of baseball cards I ever got, I got a Don Mattingly rookie card...it just came naturally!

but, above being strictly a Yankee fan, I love good baseball...I played my entire life, and I love the perfect beauty of the game

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
please don't hold it against me, but I am a lifelong Yankee fan, albeit a rational one!!...

I'll explain before anyone bitches at me about it...my grandpa played minor league ball affiliated with the Yankees right before WWII, so my entire mom's side were all Yankee fans...then the first 2 years I played, I was on the Yankees...then in my first pack of baseball cards I ever got, I got a Don Mattingly rookie card...it just came naturally!

but, above being strictly a Yankee fan, I love good baseball...I played my entire life, and I love the perfect beauty of the game

You know, there are some really good Yankee fans who know the game just as/or better than any other fans. I find them to be a tad bit more likeable than Boston fans and that may be another bias since I loathe anything to do with Beantown (I'm an unashamed Laker fan). You can't knock their legendary status and all the names associated with it.

I still haven't gotten any good shots of the New Yankee Stadium...

mountmccabe
07-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah but there's no reason why a MLB game should end in a tie....you say don't put pitchers back in because it would mean murder to his arm, well that theory applies to how many innings you let them pitch then...obviously you let them pitch 2 innings at the most, anything more, someone could argue its murder on his arm for no good real reason....and from the looks of last night, there aren't obviously enough pitchers on the staff to truly prevent this from scenario from happening more often.

So it only seems reasonable to let the all-star team rosters have 5 or 6 more pitchers, just in case of scenarios like these. There's really no other way of dealing with it. Having a game end in a tie, especially with a stupid idea such as the winner getting home field for the world series, is just not an option.

2 innings is nothing. The pitchers that're normally starters that pitched last night almost certainly threw many extra warm-up tosses and even after pitching their pidly one or two innings probably went and threw more and/or otherwise worked their arm.

Circa 2001 Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson would play to pitch the entire game. They wouldn't reach their peak velocity until the 6th, 7th or even 8th innings. That means they'd still be warming up in the fifth inning.

Even today's starters would have no issues throwing three innings instead of one or two. I am sure most could go well past that without any danger of hurting themselves, but I can understand some allowing for others to play. But, shit, you have these starters, fucking use them. Save a couple of them for once it goes past the 9th. And if you tell two of them that that's when they're going to pitch, if they're going to pitch, they can put that target on their warm up schedule and be ready. Everyone is safe and you're not making closers pitch more than an inning. Closers shouldn't be starting innings anyway. Fuck.

They really need to get rid of that home field stipulation. Give home field to the team with the best record from the regular season. There's no other way to do it. Everyone will talk of unbalanced schedules and what not...you have 162 games in a season, you are major league teams....play and win as many as you can. The team with the most deserves the home field. Simple as that.

I brought up the unbalanced schedule because the schdules are unbalanced like whoah. Teams in opposite leagues play what, two other teams in common? What does games against the Royals and Indians have to do with games against the Padres and Dodgers?

Also all I said that it seemed "a little silly" to use most wins as the first criteria. It also seems a little silly (even if it is a little less silly) to use most wins for criteria for seeding in the playoffs but they still do that. Most Wins is not an awful idea, it's just not, in my mind, the blindingly obvious best.

Also, what do you do if there's a tie?

Head-to-head might be the logical choice but that will usually come up blank. Do you go by playoff seeding? Precedence to division winners? Highest team OBP? Fewest GIDP?

humanoid
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
/\ there are plenty of arrogant asshole Yankee fans, and unfortunately too many people only see the world in rash generalizations and lump everyone together...there are also plenty of Yankee fans that completely understand baseball, and are rational human beings, just as there might be a couple Boston fans like that..just kidding

obviously I understand why a lot of fans resent the Yankees, and increasingly more nowadays, the Red Sox...success breads cockiness and bandwagon fans that really don't know the team or the game

I pride myself on being very educated about baseball, and appreciating quality baseball...I know the Yankees can't win every year...I think its so much more exciting when there is talent spread throughout MLB, it makes it so much more fun to watch

humanoid
07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
You know, there are some really good Yankee fans who know the game just as/or better than any other fans. I find them to be a tad bit more likeable than Boston fans and that may be another bias since I loathe anything to do with Beantown (I'm an unashamed Laker fan). You can't knock their legendary status and all the names associated with it.

I still haven't gotten any good shots of the New Yankee Stadium...

I was at Yankee Stadium last August to see the Yanks sweep Boston, but the new stadium was still in it's very early stages, so it wasn't much to look at...it looks absolutely giant though!

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 03:52 PM
having lived in southern california all my life, this is what i know:
dodger fans are fucking awful. they get to the stadium in the 3rd, leave in the 8th. and take pride in their awful teams.

and some angels fans blow too. y'know, the ones who used to go and watch them lose to the good teams, but were the first to buy playoff tickets when they started winning. these guys are now in their 30s and on the rise. i hate them!
i used to go to Anaheim stadium at least 5 times a year. now i'm lucky to go at all.

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Believe it or not, I am a Marlins' fan. I played under the moniker as a kid and it somehow stuck with me. I'm also a big Uggla fan though, and felt bad for him last night. I was sad when all the good ones left. Lowell, Beckett, Burnett, Rodriguez, Cabrera, Willis, etc..etc... I hate Lauria for what he continues to do with the organization. It has, though, won 2 World Series and that's not bad for an Expansion team. Ask the Rangers or Mariners ;)

paulb
07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Does anyone think that Boston will take the AL East? Or that this 7 game slide by Tampa is a 1 off thing, and they are going all the way this year? Or.... Yankees will make it into the playoffs as they always do?

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Defintely true about the Angels games...there's alot of douchebaggery going on @ the Angels games too...lot of cute OC girls, but that's the problem...they're OC girls (no offense to the good OC girls though)

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Tampa for the Wild Card.
Boston wins the division.
Angels the west.
and _____ the central.

Tampa upsets the Angels
Boston v Tampa ALCS.
Cubs over Tampa in WS.

or more likely, Boston over Chicago.

still rooting for the Angels, though. dont count their pitching out.

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Does anyone think that Boston will take the AL East? Or that this 7 game slide by Tampa is a 1 off thing, and they are going all the way this year? Or.... Yankees will make it into the playoffs as they always do?

I really see this as an interesting race. Why? Well, Boston isn't as healthy as they've been during the championship years with Big Papi, Beckett, and Dice-K all having issues with health. Also, Papelbum is still one injury away from decimating a bullpen that now can't count on Okajima for stability...The Rays though, need to find their groove and get the consistency back from Price, Kazmir, and Longoria.

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Defintely true about the Angels games...there's alot of douchebaggery going on @ the Angels games too...lot of cute OC girls, but that's the problem...they're OC girls (no offense to the good OC girls though)

them girls are hott!
but they have d-bag boyfriends.

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Tampa for the Wild Card.
Boston wins the division.
Angels the west.
and _____ the central.

Tampa upsets the Angels
Boston v Tampa ALCS.
Cubs over Tampa in WS.

or more likely, Boston over Chicago.

still rooting for the Angels, though. dont count their pitching out.

If, Chicago and Boston were to match, I'd see Chicago winning because of the hunger thing. Lol. That is my wish...

humanoid
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
having lived in southern california all my life, this is what i know:
dodger fans are fucking awful. they get to the stadium in the 3rd, leave in the 8th. and take pride in their awful teams.

and some angels fans blow too. y'know, the ones who used to go and watch them lose to the good teams, but were the first to buy playoff tickets when they started winning. these guys are now in their 30s and on the rise. i hate them!
i used to go to Anaheim stadium at least 5 times a year. now i'm lucky to go at all.

My dad has Angels season tickets, so I'm fortunate to get to go to a lot of games...its funny, because growing up here, I have been to a million Angel games, and as recently as summer of 2002, you'd have tons of empty seats in a pennant race, during a game against division rivals no less! then it became suddenly trendy to go and wear all read, and beat on thunder sticks...hilarious instant transformation!!

Of course, not Angels fans are that way, just the new school ones who discovered the team post 2002...but now they're so damn obnoxious, that they rival the most sickening fans of any team

A good friend of mine has Dodgers season tickets, so we go to several games a year...one comment I have regarding the national perception about LA fans showing up late and leaving early...have you ever experienced the shitty traffic in LA?? Lots of other cities can't even imagine what its like to try and navigate that sea of autos!!!

...really though, there are also tons of old school Dodger fans who have had season tickets for like 20 or 30 years and live and die their Dodger Blue

zenidogx
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
i'll be rooting for the Cubies too, but i have this huge doubt.

they need a big papi moment in the playoffs.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 04:04 PM

I have lived in Orange County my entire life...sadly, it is full of extremely empty, super douchey people guys and girls!

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I love good baseball...I played my entire life, and I love the perfect beauty of the game

Me too. It has always been my favorite sport & was the one passion of mine as a young child. Then in my pre-teen years, came music & then all the other sports...

And being a Yankees fan is nothing to be ashamed of! I love to root against them, but as a student of the game I have tremendous respect for them.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 04:11 PM

I hate to say it, but I think Boston will win the East, they are better constructed than the Yankees this year, and their young guys have almost all contributed, if not excelled

Lester is a stud, Masterson is pretty good, Pedroia is a very good overall player, and I think Ellsbury is a huge star in the making

Melky has taken 2 steps back so far, Hughes and Kennedy also look they don't belong yet, Cano is finally starting to turn around (will have a huge 2nd half)...and while Joba is a stud too, he has been slightly inconsistent as a starter so far

I think TB will stumble this year, but I think they are going to be very good for the foreseeable future...they will def still be a contender for the Wild Card

The Yanks still have a shot for the Wild Card though...no one has overachieved early this year, and there is reason to expect several of their players to be better in the second half...starting with Jeter!@!!! they need Abreu to step back up, A-rod to remember how to hit with runners in scoring position, hopefully Damon come back healthy, Bruney to come back, and either Hughes or Kennedy to contribute in the second half...they have issues, but I wouldn't count them out yet....also, Posada's shoulder needs to get better so they don't have to play Jose Molina so often

paulb
07-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Chien Ming Wang needs to return aswell.... no Matsui is a blow aswell.

humanoid
07-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Me too. It has always been my favorite sport & was the one passion of mine as a young child. Then in my pre-teen years, came music & then all the other sports...

And being a Yankees fan is nothing to be ashamed of! I love to root against them, but as a student of the game I have tremendous respect for them.

I'm not ashamed, I'm just conditioned to being defensive after growing up out here in a hostile environment!

I was at an Angel/Dodger game in Anaheim 2 seasons ago, with my daughter who was 9 at the time...I was wearing a Yankee hat, and had a group of about 6 fat drunken Dodger fans literally trying to start a fight with me ...with my freakin' daughter! it was very classy....someone went and grabbed a couple cops, and all the fools were arrested, it was rather satisfying

humanoid
07-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Chien Ming Wang needs to return aswell.... no Matsui is a blow aswell.

yeah Wang is very tough to replace....I wasn't even considering him though, because I think by the time he is ready, they say Sept 1 at the earliest...I think their fate may already be sealed

I think they'll probably pick up someone to DH in Matui's spot, to help ease the pain a bit (I really hope not Barry Bonds)

paulb
07-16-2008, 04:18 PM
I was at Yankee stadium for the ALDS in 05 vs the Angels, and there was some big Anaheim douche bag yelling shit against the yankees, and people started throwing drinks and garbage at him....police then kicked him out....

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 04:29 PM
I sure miss checking my fantasy stats right now....
today is miserable with no baseball!

humanoid
07-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I sure miss checking my fantasy stats right now....
today is miserable with no baseball!

luckily, I've been busy today, so it has kept my mind off it a little, but tomorrow it will suck when there are only a few games....

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 07:50 PM
this titletown bullshit on espn is driving me crazy!

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
I admire you guys for even attempting to do fantasy baseball. I have difficulties keeping up with my fantasy football team, that I know I wouldn't be able to do the baseball thing. I've won the last two years, so I guess I'm doing okay--lol.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I admire you guys for even attempting to do fantasy baseball. I have difficulties keeping up with my fantasy football team, that I know I wouldn't be able to do the baseball thing. I've won the last two years, so I guess I'm doing okay--lol.

This is my first year for Fantasy Baseball. I enjoy it. You set the team once a week & then watch your scores each day.
Fantasy Basketball sucked!

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
There should be a fantasy coacehlla board member league lol.

Mr. Dylanja
07-16-2008, 08:00 PM
I love fantasy basketball, probably my favorite.

I'm calling it right now the d-backs are going to get hot again pretty soon, 3 weeks is my guesstimation. Once we get healthy again it's on!

Hopeless Semantic
07-16-2008, 08:05 PM
You sure about that? W/O a bat to replace Byrnes and such, I don't see them tearing it up like the 20-8 start, but they'll have enough to beat the even more listless Dodgers. The rest of the N.L. West is garbage.

TomAz
07-16-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm calling it right now the d-backs are going to get hot again pretty soon, 3 weeks is my guesstimation. Once we get healthy again it's on!

soon as they quit relying on Qualls they'll win 60% of their remaining games.

but the lineup is imperfect. They're so young and every hitter in the lineup has a flaw. Young and Upton strike out too much, Reynolds is too streaky, Jackson too inconsistent. They don't have one reliable bat in the lineup. The starting pitching is superb and the bullpen (minus Qualls) is capable, but they need more consistent run support. I look for a trade dealing a young arm (please god not Scherzer though) for a reliable bat.

You sure about that? W/O a bat to replace Byrnes and such, I don't see them tearing it up like the 20-8 start, but they'll have enough to beat the even more listless Dodgers. The rest of the N.L. West is garbage.

Byrnes was horrible this year before he went on the DL. Chad Tracy is an upgrade. I love Byrnes, he's all hustle, he's not a take the money and run guy. But his slump this year right after the big contract was just eating him up inside and trying to play through the injury made it that much tougher. Going on the DL was good for the team and I think will be good for him to ge this head together.

bakersfield
07-16-2008, 09:49 PM
The bats might or might not get really hot again.
All these young guys can be AWFUL for weeks or hit a crazy hot streak.
Like Tom said, all of them are streaky & inconsistent.
So who knows!

I think a trade for a bat is inevitable. The only name I hear that excites me is Jason Bay. And PLEASE do not trade Scherzer!
Talk is that when Lyon leaves next year for free agency, Scherzer may be our closer.
Middle relief could continue to kill us in the 2nd half..
Not only does Qualls SUCK, but Pena (8th inning) has been awful in the last several games.
With weak bats & great starting pitching, we will have plenty of tied games or one or two run leads going into the 7th.
What do we do in the 7th?
Cannot keep parading Qualls out there. He is really, really bad & his confidence is shot.
I like Cruz.
Or if Scherzer's shoulder is OK, have him be our 7th inning guy.
I think the only way we will win the division is if all the other teams in the division stay as bad as they were in the 1st half.
Then we pray for a hot streak & some luck in October.

humanoid
07-17-2008, 01:10 AM
There should be a fantasy coacehlla board member league lol.

there actually is....several of us are in a Yahoo league right now

humanoid
07-17-2008, 01:16 AM

the hot start had a lot to do with their schedule...they started in Cincinatti, then didn't play anyone east of Houston until May.....no long travel, no cross country flights, very kind April Schedule

I picked them to win the West though, & I still think they will...they will probably need to pickup a bat somewhere if they are able though, a solid veteran to balance out some of the streaky young guys

bakersfield
07-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Looks like the Dbacks are about to get Tony Clark back from the Padres for a minor leaguer.
They have really missed his presence this year. Hopefully he can still hit.

bakersfield
07-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Sounds like it is official....

Clark waives trade bonus in return to Arizona

First baseman Tony Clark has been traded from the San Diego Padres to the Arizona Diamondbacks, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported.

Under his contract with the Padres, Clark would have received $500,000 from the Padres if traded, but he waived that clause in order to complete the trade.

Clark spent the previous three seasons in Arizona, where he was mainly used as a pinch hitter and provided the D-backs with a veteran clubhouse influence.

Clark, 36, is currently hitting .239 with three doubles and one home run in 88 at-bats. He has started only one game at first in San Diego.

ESPN The Magazine senior writer Buster Olney contributed to this report.

Mr. Dylanja
07-17-2008, 05:16 PM
As much as I like TC and his leadership qualities I don't think he's is going to help us much...

bakersfield
07-17-2008, 05:43 PM
As much as I like TC and his leadership qualities I don't think he's is going to help us much...

Not enough.
Was hearing today that Owings may go to the bullpen to be either our 7th or 8th inning guy...because Qualls & Pena SUCK!

paulb
07-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Looks like the Yankees picked up Richie Sexson..... should be interesting....hopefully Richie can live up to his name, perform, and help the club out.... pretty bad 1st 1/2... but he throws a mean helmet.

bakersfield
07-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Looks like the Yankees picked up Richie Sexson..... should be interesting....hopefully Richie can live up to his name, perform, and help the club out.... pretty bad 1st 1/2... but he throws a mean helmet.

When he hits the ball it goes a very long ways...problem is he doesn't hit it very often anymore.
I have a gut feeling that he is going to get it going again in NY.

Mr. Dylanja
07-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Did you see the thread title? Fuck Sexson, quite possibly my all time least favorite Dback. Could never stand him or Troy Glaus. Never liked Luigi either.

bakersfield
07-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Did you see the thread title? Fuck Sexson, quite possibly my all time least favorite Dback. Could never stand him or Troy Glaus. Never liked Luigi either.

I hated Troy Glaus. ZERO personality! Quentin reminded me of him last year.

Newro7ic
07-18-2008, 07:28 AM
I hated Troy Glaus. ZERO personality! Quentin reminded me of him last year.

I have to respect Glaus, he was instrumental in leading the Angels through the playoffs and eventually the World Series... But you're right, he doesn't have much personality, and he's injury prone.

bakersfield
07-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Thank God we have a full schedule of baseball coming up this evening.
Been bored out of my mind without it!

Mr. Dylanja
07-18-2008, 05:52 PM
*sigh* whatta way to come out of the break....

For the record, I said "soon" not immediately.

bakersfield
07-18-2008, 07:16 PM
A slugfest! Who woulda thunk it?

Mr. Dylanja
07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Oops, by soon I actually meant the bottom of the first....

bakersfield
07-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Fuckin' bullpen again!!

Interesting that Qualls has not played or warmed up....

Newro7ic
07-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Angels & Dodgers win? Today I'm a happy fan. :)

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 10:12 PM
angels beat the bosox!!!
could this be the year they finally get out of the first round?

Newro7ic
07-18-2008, 10:15 PM
God, I hope so... the worst part isn't the losing... it's the losing to Boston. They have some of the worst fucking fans i've ever had the displeasure of sitting with. I think they are tied with (most) Dodger fans ...

bakersfield
07-18-2008, 10:16 PM
angels beat the bosox!!!
could this be the year they finally get out of the first round?

Could be. They are looking very strong.

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 10:41 PM
God, I hope so... the worst part isn't the losing... it's the losing to Boston. They have some of the worst fucking fans i've ever had the displeasure of sitting with. I think they are tied with (most) Dodger fans ...

ever since they started winning, at least the one's i've known. you know, they were loveable because they lost and to the yankees. but now they think they're invincible.

zenidogx
07-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Could be. They are looking very strong.

pitching and defense are there.
they just gotta avoid injuries and get consistent hitting. and get rid of Juan Rivera.

bakersfield
07-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Boston fans are awful.
Always have been, but for obvious reasons, they have only gotten worse.
As the Red Sox are not lovable losers like the Cubs anymore, the Patriots are the team of the decade & their Celtics regained form & won the championship after a 20 year break.
Boston College even was good last year.
Getting kind of tired of their ass!

Hopeless Semantic
07-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Fuck that...I still will not give Boston their due--obnoxious fans on down to the bitch kelly green their Celtics wear...

Good job though, Angels!

bakersfield
07-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Lackey looked good tonight after 2 awful starts.
At times he can be as good as anybody!

Hopeless Semantic
07-18-2008, 11:16 PM
He is as good as anybody...He just has to stay healty.

BoardsofCoachella
07-19-2008, 09:42 AM
and get rid of Juan Rivera.

Get off the crack pipe...
they need to get rid of Matthews Jr.
If Rivera had more starts (at bats), he would be the power bat they need.

Newro7ic
07-19-2008, 01:01 PM

Matthews glove is always important, but we just didn't get his bat along with the his glove. Very disappointing.

Rivera has always had a knack for hitting, but not if he can't get into any rhythm. Either play him regularly, or trade him. Otherwise he's just a useless spot on the lineup.

bakersfield
07-19-2008, 04:34 PM
O-dog is on fire!
I sure wish we re-sign him next year.

Mr. Dylanja
07-19-2008, 04:48 PM
I think we blew that money on Byrnes...

humanoid
07-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Fuck that...I still will not give Boston their due--obnoxious fans on down to the bitch kelly green their Celtics wear...

Good job though, Angels!

I just got back from watching the Angels come back to beat Boston, and their sickening fans!!! great game...the Yanks need some help getting back into the East, thanks Angels!!

bakersfield
07-19-2008, 07:13 PM
I think we blew that money on Byrnes...

You are right. We did blow any money we would of paid Hudson on Byrnes.
Hindsight is really 20/20. I like Byrnes, but he quit producing the minute he got the big money. We will miss O-dog next year.

Tonights game was an important win. We damn near blew it for Haran AGAIN!
How good is Dan Haran?! What a stud!

vinylmartyr
07-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Dodgers have a favorable schedule the rest of the year. We play 10 games vs the Nats and Pirates.

Mr. Dylanja
07-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Mother Fucker!

Our bullpen is more like a dairy-cowpen.

bakersfield
07-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Mother Fucker!

Our bullpen is more like a dairy-cowpen.

It is getting severe!

vinylmartyr
07-20-2008, 03:20 PM
whoot

Down Rodeo
07-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Fuck yeah Dodgers!

zenidogx
07-20-2008, 05:40 PM
bring out the brooms!

maybe the angels could finally do it.

DRcube
07-20-2008, 05:42 PM
DODGERS BITCHES!!!!!

brycerosen
07-20-2008, 06:18 PM
I think its the Angels year too, In Sioscia I Trust - well as long as Boston doesnt win

brycerosen
07-20-2008, 06:21 PM

I agree unfortunately Mathews has a no trade Claus so it will be hard to get rid of him, its a shame he used top be sooo good when he used HGH

zenidogx
07-20-2008, 08:17 PM
rivera is awful. matthews is better, but not by much. they need to get rid of both of them and find a better bat.

mountmccabe
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I am going to the Diamondbacks-Cubs game tonight. Randy Johnson and Rich Harden are pitching. Yay.

bakersfield
07-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Hope you bring them some good luck.

Hopeless Semantic
07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Angels have the best record in beisbol! Sweet!!

bakersfield
07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Big Unit is on fire!
I was sure our bullpen was going to blow it again.
I would have let Owings work the 9th, but I guess sometimes even Qualls can get a little lucky!

Mr. Dylanja
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Crazy right, who woulda thought he could still dominate with less velocity?

Fuckin Qualls almost gave me ANOTHER heart attack!! Tracy too, for that matter. I loved how O-Hud walked him back to the mound and calmed everybody down, such a leader and such a shame Byrnes has all his money :(

bakersfield
07-22-2008, 08:33 AM
I really hope Randy can somehow get to 300 wins this season.
He is at 291 now...should be at least 294 if it wasn't for our bullpen this year. I would hate to see him end the season at 298 & us not bring him back next year...

mountmccabe
07-22-2008, 08:43 AM
He pitched really well last night. Harden, though, outshined him, except for one bad pitch to Romero.

Also that was a really short game. It was over by 9 pm!

humanoid
07-22-2008, 09:34 AM
He pitched really well last night. Harden, though, outshined him, except for one bad pitch to Romero.

Also that was a really short game. It was over by 9 pm!

who is going back on the DL first, Johnson or Harden?

Young blood
07-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I just received free club seats for tonight's rockies-dogers game! GO BEER!