PDA

View Full Version : AZ D'BACK Baseball...as well as other MLB talk

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

boarderwoozel3
01-27-2009, 08:05 PM
'Ole Barry will never play MLB baseball again. I'd bet the farm on it.

stuporfly
01-27-2009, 08:06 PM
ESPN - Buster Olney Blog (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3863381&name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3863381%26name%3dolne y_buster)

Torre cannot hide behind author

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

Some of the Yankees who found themselves on the receiving end of Joe Torre's seething scowl called it "The Stare" -- his face tight, his mouth frozen into a horizontal line, his dark eyes seemingly blackened by a slight inward tilt of his eyebrows. The Stare was reserved for capital offenses, for missing signs, for awful decisions.

Reporters sometimes got The Stare as well, most often when they asked questions Torre deemed to be driven by a quest for sensationalism, and the manager would chastise them bluntly, the way a fourth-grade teacher speaks to a wayward pupil. When I covered the team for The New York Times, he expressed particular distaste for ESPN, especially after Roger Clemens' beaning of Mike Piazza and the subsequent bat-throwing incident, because he felt the network replayed the ugliness over and over only to sell its programming.

In an honest moment today, Torre would aim The Scowl again -- into a mirror. Because this time, Torre is guilty of fostering and feeding on sensationalism, at the expense of former colleagues.

It is Tom Verducci who wrote the actual words of the book, and over the past two days, Verducci has worked to underscore this point and to note that the fragments about Alex Rodriguez, Brian Cashman and the Steinbrenners are just tiny pieces of a book of almost 500 pages. The voice is third person, not Torre's, as it was the first time Torre and Verducci collaborated. A lot of the words are based on Verducci's reporting.

But here's the problem with that: It's Joe Torre's book. His name is on it. He got paid for it. He had a chance to read every word, every sentence, every paragraph. He had to approve every passage.

He had the choice, for example, whether to include this, from page 245:

Back in 2004, at first Rodriguez did his best to try and fit into the Yankee culture -- his cloying, B Grade actor best. He slathered on the polish. People in the clubhouse, including teammates and support personnel were calling him "A-Fraud" behind his back.

And it was Torre's choice, ultimately, to include this, from page 252:

In his own way, Rodriguez was fascinated with [Derek] Jeter, as if trying to figure out what it was about Jeter that could have bought him so much goodwill. The inside joke in the clubhouse was that Rodriguez' pre-occupation with Jeter recalled the 1992 film, "Single White Female," in which a woman becomes obsessed with her roommate to the point of dressing like her.

And it was Torre who approved the words in the excerpt released Monday -- after Torre had assured Cashman on the phone Sunday that they were friends and always would be friends.

Only much later did Torre start to put the picture together of what had happened to his working relationship with Cashman. The personal falling-out they had in 2006 spring training over philosophical issues, Cashman's decision not to bring back longtime center fielder Bernie Williams when his contract expired in 2006, his submission of odd lineup suggestions based on stats, his lack of regard for Ron Guidry as a pitching coach, his detachment from the "they" who were making an offer to Torre, his failure to offer any comment or support in the meeting that decided Torre's future, his failure to personally relay Torre's proposal to find a way to reach an agreement to the Steinbrenners "I thought Cash was an ally, I really did," Torre says.

Those passages were based on Verducci's reporting. They were written by Verducci.

But it's Torre's book. And within the pages of this book with Torre's name on it, some former colleagues are demeaned, and that was his choice.

Verducci said in a radio interview on WFAN on Monday that all this is not really new, that everybody has known for years that Rodriguez has had difficulty assimilating with the Yankees' veterans.

Here's what's new about it: The stories are in a book authored by Joe Torre.

This is hardly a new concept. The fact that former first lady Nancy Reagan could be difficult was hardly a new concept, but when Ronald Reagan's former chief of staff, Don Regan, published a book detailing that, well, it became a very big deal. The suggestion that the run-up to the Iraq war included misinformation was something posed by many reporters -- but it became something very different when posited in a book by former White House spokesman Scott McClellan.

The book is in Torre's name. Says right there on the cover. By Joe Torre and Tom Verducci.

In the four seasons Torre managed Rodriguez, he would never have come out in the dugout for his daily session with reporters and revealed that teammates called Rodriguez "A-Fraud," and if any reporter had asked him whether it was true that teammates compared A-Rod to the character in the movie "Single White Female," they would have gotten The Stare.

But he has gone beyond his own code of conduct with his book. In spring 2003, David Wells and a ghostwriter published a book, "Perfect I'm Not: Boomer on Beer, Brawls, Backaches and Baseball," and Torre was furious, angry that Wells had aired some of the Yankees' dirty laundry in the pages. Wells tried to distance himself from some of the words in the book, saying they belonged to the writer, but the Yankees' manager would not accept that. After a meeting with the pitcher, Torre said this to reporters:

"We talked to him about a lot of things today. I just sensed he was bothered by it. Not by what we said, but by how it came out. How much of it is actually what he said and how much isn't exactly what he said, I don't know.

"But there's no question: It has his name on it, and he has to be accountable for it."

Torre, Cashman and George Steinbrenner held Wells accountable -- in the end, he was fined $100,000 by the organization.

Now it is Torre's responsibility to be fully accountable for the words in the book that has his name on it, and he must stand behind those words.

If he hides behind Verducci and the suggestion that the ugly anecdotes aren't his, the explanation will have echoes of "I didn't knowingly take steroids." If he embraces the words as his own, he also should acknowledge he has been, at the very least, extraordinarily hypocritical.

humanoid
01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
So I go to the SF Giants' espn.com page to see what we're up to and the big stories are:
-Turncoat Jeff Kent is retiring
-We may send a few players to the WBC (not exactly an accomplishment)
-Barry Bonds is still won't go away (I always loved his talent but goddamn man!)
&
-Barry Zito and Brian Wilson are doing long toss drills across a canyon in so-cal to train this offseason, Barry Zito has a six-pack abs now and those two idiots managed to lose six balls in one of those canyon throwing sessions.

.....Things are looking up.....

you guys do have maybe the best SP in the NL in Lincecum...and Matt Cain is very good, but for some reason can't get any run support....Noah Lowry is also a good young pitcher that should hopefully be healthy after missing all last year...Jonathan Sanchez has live stuff and great potential but hasn't put it together yet, but just turned 26, so still has a future

You guys picked up two strong relievers, Jeremy Affeldt and Bob Howry (he is very good, but for some reason had a terrible year last year)

signed Randy Johnson, who was very strong in Arizona last year and will provide a good veteran presence in the rotation, and is only 5 wins from 300

signed Edgar Renteria who is a stud when he plays in the NL, but for some reason gets worse in the AL, plus he brings playoff experience

you guys have actually done much more than most teams this offseason..

I truly think SF will be contending for that division this season
Jeff Kent was on 6 different teams, 3 before the Giants, so I wouldn't hold it against him too much

humanoid
01-27-2009, 08:11 PM
'Ole Barry will never play MLB baseball again. I'd bet the farm on it.

don't think so either. he is now 44 and still has perjury hanging over his head, teams don't want to deal with the drama anymore....plus, there haven't been very many successful 44 yr old players in MLB...he hasn't been able to run for a few years now

paulb
01-27-2009, 08:13 PM
I remember being in Chicago for Lolla 07, and being at a bar when he hit 756...that was epic.

humanoid
01-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I wonder if Bonds will end up in Toronto... what have they done this offseason?

Toronto could very well find themselves battling for 4th place in the AL East with Baltimore.....they still have a strong pitching staff led by Halladay, Marcum and Litsch..plus a bunch of very live arms in their bullpen..actually their bullpen is as stacked as any in baseball..Kelly Downs, Brandon League, BJ Ryan, Brian Tallett and Jesse Carlson are as strong as they come, many shutdown arms in there...losing Burnett will hurt the rotation, but overall the pitching staff is strong.

The lineup is pretty solid, they lost Eckstein, but he wasn't that big for them anyways. Vernon Wells is solid if overrated, Alex Rios should keep improving, he hits insanely against the Yankees! Overbay, Aaron Hill and Rolen all form a solid core.....Travis Snyder, a late season call up last year could play LF or DH....looks like an absolute stud and he's only 20

Baltimore has made some moves and should be improved over last year, some of their kids should mature and be pretty good, but overall I think Toronto is still deeper

paulb
01-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Id love to see Yankees take the AL East, and Toronto the wild card....when is their chance? They ended 2nd in the AL ahead of Boston 2-3 years ago right?

humanoid
01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Id love to see Yankees take the AL East, and Toronto the wild card....when is their chance? They ended 2nd in the AL ahead of Boston 2-3 years ago right?

2006, they finished 2nd to the Yanks...they are strong and would be a top team in most other divisions, but the big money powerhouses in NY and Boston are difficult to compete with, plus the emergence of Tampa Bay (who will be tough for the next several seasons) makes it very tough to compete in that division

overall AL east teams had a significantly higher winning percentage outside of their division than teams in other divisions last season, indicating the overall strength of the entire division...unfortunately for them, they are geographically located in an area with several very strong teams

paulb
01-27-2009, 09:33 PM
They should throw Blue Jays to NL East, and put the Washington Nationals in the AL East...how about that.

humanoid
01-27-2009, 09:40 PM
They should throw Blue Jays to NL East, and put the Washington Nationals in the AL East...how about that.

there was enough opposition from the Orioles about putting another team in their market that MLB had to form an agreement to protect Balt from losing money due to the Nationals sharing there market....the Orioles were given TV and Radio rights to the Nationals games

there is no way that they could be forced to share room in the same league, much less the same division

humanoid
01-29-2009, 09:45 AM
There is nothing better than baseball!!

I just watched a show on the MLB Network, The AL's Top Defensive Plays of 2008, broken down by the top 9 plays by each position ...so awesome

sydaud
01-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Any Curtis Granderson thrown in there? He had a couple gems last year.

humanoid
01-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Any Curtis Granderson thrown in there? He had a couple gems last year.

I would assume so, but unfortunately I got a phone call during the CF segment!..

Love Granderson though...the way he plays, and he has to be one of the coolest, most down to earth players in all baseball...great ambassador for the game

sydaud
01-29-2009, 11:18 AM
The great Detroit athletes (Yzerman, Sanders, Dumars, Granderson, Trammell, Hearns) have all been real down to earth. Being in Detroit humbles a man, ha ha....

IMO, he and Sizemore are the class of A.L. centerfielders.

humanoid
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
The great Detroit athletes (Yzerman, Sanders, Dumars, Granderson, Trammell, Hearns) have all been real down to earth. Being in Detroit humbles a man, ha ha....

IMO, he and Sizemore are the class of A.L. centerfielders.

I don't know a lot about the others' personalities, but Barry Sanders was always classy, and fun as hell to watch, I'm not a huge football fan, but I wish he was in his rightful place atop the alltime leading rushers..he could've blown them all away!

you forgot Laimbeer & Rodman!!

Sizemore is a great exciting player, I'd like to see his average climb a little, with a few less K's, but his power, speed and defense are quite the combination

The guy who I think will be the best defensive CF in baseball in 2 years is BJ Upton..he is not 25 until August, is only still learning CF after being a lifelong infielder...he had a down year offensively due to shoulder injuries, but really picked it up in the postseason...he still stole 44 bases though

defensively though, for a guy still learning CF, he gets to balls in the gaps really easily that look like obvious extra base hits...he has an extra gear when tracking balls in the air that is amazing..sometimes it looks like there is no way he's getting there, then he teleports 40 yds in a split second and makes the play....plus, he has an absolute cannon, very serious arm strength....a couple years, top of the class in CF

PassiveTheory
01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Seeing all this sympathy for the Mets makes me all the more excited to watch as they crash and burn again this season.

In prior years I'd always delight in seeing the Giants or Dodgers or even the D'Backs and Rockies fall, what with them being division rivals and all, but recently I've grown to despise the Mets. Maybe it's the fact they really haven't done jack shit in the last 5 years, and maybe it's because ESPN and every other major news publication fellates the Mets organization year in and year out despite the fact that the Mets have done nothing but purchase hitters (and Pedro Martinez) who have done nothing but collapse (like a flan in a cupboard); just as the Mets have for the last few years. Watch, they'll be "picked" to win the NL East again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Phillies win again.

Hopeless Semantic
01-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Anyone catch the latest development on Bonds? Haha...should've just been honest from the get-go.

humanoid
01-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Anyone catch the latest development on Bonds? Haha...should've just been honest from the get-go.

exactly...yeah things are not looking positive for him..oh wait, yes they are!!!

bakersfield
01-30-2009, 08:48 AM
It will be interesting to hear the Giambi's testify against Barry

buddy
02-07-2009, 10:23 AM
A-Rod tested positive for steriods in 03
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3890785

humanoid
02-07-2009, 10:48 AM
A-Rod tested positive for steriods in 03
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3890785

allegedly tested positive for steroids in 03.....this sucks....but I'm going to wait a little while to hear more facts about the story before i make up my mind

bakersfield
02-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I hate what all this steroids crap has done to the integrity of our beloved game!

humanoid
02-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I hate what all this steroids crap has done to the integrity of our beloved game!

I'm really getting tired of it...

especially little bits, here and there, I wish we'd hear all the truth or nothing at all....

honestly, I don't care to hear about one guys supposedly failing a test in 2003, when there is a list of 105 guys who supposedly failed the tests

not defending Arod just because I'm a Yankees fan, but to go out and destroy one guys reputation based on something 6 years ago that was supposed to be a nondisciplinary, anonymous test with no names attached is a little fishy to me...it seems like someone is out to destroy this guy...

if he's guilty, he's guilty...he cheated...but let's hear all the names then...

also, lets not let investigations be led by guys who worked in the front office of a major league team...hate to sound conspiratorial, but how are we supposed to take the Mitchell Report seriously when the guy retires from the front office of the Red Sox to work on the report, then fill it with allegations about guys on the Red Sox direct rival, yet mysteriously mentioning nothing about anyone involved with the Red Sox at the time

I'm not going to argue this just because it is Yankees related, but the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of having anyone involved in any way with a Major League team conducting this investigation is mind blowing

buddy
02-07-2009, 02:22 PM
also, lets not let investigations be led by guys who worked in the front office of a major league team...hate to sound conspiratorial, but how are we supposed to take the Mitchell Report seriously when the guy retires from the front office of the Red Sox to work on the report, then fill it with allegations about guys on the Red Sox direct rival, yet mysteriously mentioning nothing about anyone involved with the Red Sox at the time

I'm not going to argue this just because it is Yankees related, but the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of having anyone involved in any way with a Major League team conducting this investigation is mind blowing

Im a red sox fan. I seriously doubt there is a yankee conspiracy going on. It's funny hear of such a thing, like the Red Sox would be out to get the yankees at every step, and even have the media on their side. But the red sox didn't pick Mitchell to do his report Congress did. And A-Rod's name didn't come from his report it came from a MLB test that was released by either someone with access to them inside the MLB or someone who took them within the government.

But you're right. It's not fair to release just A-Rod's name alone and not release everybody elses. I'm assuming it has to do with how much a high profile A-Rod has, and him being on track to beat Ruth's Home Run Record. Regardless it is a sad for baseball.

humanoid
02-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Im a red sox fan. I seriously doubt there is a yankee conspiracy going on. It's funny hear of such a thing, like the Red Sox would be out to get the yankees at every step, and even have the media on their side. But the red sox didn't pick Mitchell to do his report Congress did. And A-Rod's name didn't come from his report it came from a MLB test that was released by either someone with access to them inside the MLB or someone who took them within the government.

But you're right. It's not fair to release just A-Rod's name alone and not release everybody elses. I'm assuming it has to do with how much a high profile A-Rod has, and him being on track to beat Ruth's Home Run Record. Regardless it is a sad for baseball.

I'm not really saying there is a conspiracy, but really...does it honestly seem like the intelligent, most credible appearance to have someone leave one team's front office to conduct a baseball wide investigation?

If you were the commissioner, is that the choice you would make? Whether there is anything to it or not, why leave that choice up to scrutiny over such an issue and give people a reason to wonder and challenge the integrity of such a report?

As a Red Sox fan, you may find it funny, but is this the first time you've heard this point of contention raised?

I'm completely aware that the Mitchell Report has zero to do with Arod, I was more commenting on MLB's handling of the issue in general

buddy
02-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm not really saying there is a conspiracy, but really...does it honestly seem like the intelligent, most credible appearance to have someone leave one team's front office to conduct a baseball wide investigation?

If you were the commissioner, is that the choice you would make? Whether there is anything to it or not, why leave that choice up to scrutiny over such an issue and give people a reason to wonder and challenge the integrity of such a report?

As a Red Sox fan, you may find it funny, but is this the first time you've heard this point of contention raised?

I'm completely aware that the Mitchell Report has zero to do with Arod, I was more commenting on MLB's handling of the issue in general

i'll agree it's probably not the best idea to have someone who actually worked within an baseball organization to do a report on steriod use league wide. but i can't see Mitchell, being employed by Congress, not being unbais in his report. if the shoe was on the other foot, and a man within the yankee organization conducted the report, i would probably bring up the issues you are. and even though im a red sox fan and im suppose to hate a-rod i think they should find the source of the leak, and find out why only his name was released.

C DUB YA
02-08-2009, 03:16 PM
One only needs to look at Arod's frame a few years before he "allegedly" (we all know he did) test positive.

Same body mass indications can be seen... just like with Giambi, Canseco, Bonds, McGwire, Nomar, Sosa... It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know AROD was AROID.

humanoid
02-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't doubt that Arod probably did something, it seems to be the case now, especially that he he's not denying it...he saw how well that works out for guys.... but in my opinion, he never had an obviously drastic change in body type that those other guys you mentioned had....he is quite a bit bigger than he was during his first few years in Seattle, but he also came up at 18, several years younger than the rest of those guys....so inevitably, he;s going to fill out quite a bit from that time...over his last few years there, and in Texas, he was always pretty big, but not body builder big like Sosa, McGwire, Bonds....

he's probably been doing something since he was 20 anyways...who the fuck knows?

I'm not a huge Arod fan though, as a Yankee fan, I've cursed him as much as anyone...and believe that no matter how great his numbers are, he clearly detracts from team related goals with his primadonna attitude and attention whoring escapades

buddy
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
this is harsh even for a ny paper
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/reyflores6p2/front020909.jpg

humanoid
02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
this is harsh even for a ny paper
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f373/reyflores6p2/front020909.jpg

as much as this is destroying his reputation, I can't help but think that in some dark corner of his twisted, narcissistic psyche, he's getting off on every single person in the baseball world talking about him and only him right now..

buddy
02-09-2009, 11:30 AM
as much as this is destroying his reputation, I can't help but think that in some dark corner of his twisted, narcissistic psyche, he's getting off on every single person in the baseball world talking about him and only him right now..

i doubt thats true. for a guy who has been envious of jeter, has let fans get to his psyche in years past, this cant be good for him. everything before this has yet to bring a shit storm this is.

C DUB YA
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
this makes jeter look like joe d.

C DUB YA
02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
http://test.ecanadanow.com/Canseco_Alex_Rodriguez_steroids.jpg
http://www.opengroup.com/sports/images/(SC)Alex_Rodriguez_Photo.jpg
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=314&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=380651

humanoid
02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
i doubt thats true. for a guy who has been envious of jeter, has let fans get to his psyche in years past, this cant be good for him. everything before this has yet to bring a shit storm this is.

I don't think he is enjoying the shit storm exactly, but I still believe the drama swirling around him as the sole center of the storm appeals to the attention whoring narcissist within him

truly, I don't think it's a rational, calculated desire, but more that he's a sociopath who craves the attention, whether positive or negative

buddy
02-09-2009, 11:41 AM
a-rod admits to taking steriods starting in 01 with rangers. interview at 6 eastern on ESPN.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

humanoid
02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
http://test.ecanadanow.com/Canseco_Alex_Rodriguez_steroids.jpg
http://www.opengroup.com/sports/images/(SC)Alex_Rodriguez_Photo.jpg
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=314&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=380651

there have to be more damning picture than those...yeah he's bigger when he's in his early 30's than he was in his early 20's...but the difference is nowhere near as drastic as the transformations of Sosa, McGwire, Bonds Etc...

humanoid
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
a-rod admits to taking steriods starting in 01 with rangers. interview at 6 eastern on ESPN.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

I figured he has to admit it, he's seen what happens to the other guys who keep denying it.....

the way I think it will play out....

Arod admits that he did steroids, that he made a terrible mistake and he's sickened by his own actions...

then he turns the entire situation on it's head, by creating the Alex Rodriguez Foundatiion to Eiliminate Performance Enhancing Drugs in Sports......or something similar....

he goes all out to become the poster boy of the fight against steroids, educating kids and youth coaches about the dangers of drugs...as much as many people would see him as a hypocrite, him crusading against PED's would win him back a lot of public support from parents and jilted fans...

I totally think he and Scott Boras are already planning it, Boras is the master manipulator and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he were able to contort the whole issue and make Arod the good guy

humanoid
02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
There is a Mets/Phillies game from I would guess 1989/1990ish...and it looks like a different game,all the players are about half the size that they are now!!

I feel like my softball team could compete with these guys

C DUB YA
02-11-2009, 11:33 AM
there have to be more damning picture than those...yeah he's bigger when he's in his early 30's than he was in his early 20's...but the difference is nowhere near as drastic as the transformations of Sosa, McGwire, Bonds Etc...

Yeah it is not as bad as Mac, Bonds, Giambi, or Sosa

humanoid
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah it is not as bad as Mac, Bonds, Giambi, or Sosa

some of those freaks were quite obvious, along with several others....

like this guy, right after he miraculously hit 57 bombs in 2001, outhomering his previous career high by 26, then he never again hit more than 28 in a year
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/2004/06/17/gonzalez-ap.jpg

he looks like the Ultimate Warrior

humanoid
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
This Arod press conference is very uncomfortable to watch...

I think people are confusing some issues and expect just because this guy is the highest paid baseball player in the world, that he is also mature and intelligent. This isn't necessarily the case, he is just a baseball player who never went to college, came into MLB at like 18 1/2 yrs of age and has dedicated much of his life to working out and playing baseball...(ok and banging strippers and Madonna in his free time)

I am not excusing his behavior at all, just saying that we can't really expect him to know all the right answers and understand every specific detail about what he did

personally, I would consider myself to be more intelligent than Arod, but have done plenty of things in my past, that if someone were to be grilling me on them, I wouldn't be able to give the exact details and chemical breakdowns of whatever it was...or be able to detail where they all came from

I'm just trying to be realistic, because I think that for some reason we expect more of athletes, although they are who they are due to physical prowess...which seems backwards to me...

but I do realize that he brought this entire situation on himself, so he can blame no one but himself

patsfan5454
02-17-2009, 11:26 AM
I cant watch it from where im at right now but did he admit to using past 03 (as in any time he was a yankee) or any other juicy info he didnt already admit too?

humanoid
02-17-2009, 11:30 AM
I cant watch it from where im at right now but did he admit to using past 03 (as in any time he was a yankee) or any other juicy info he didnt already admit too?

no, he stayed with the 2001-2003 story and pretty much avoided a lot of hardcore questions...

the juiciest thing he said was that his cousin provided him with steroids and that he imported them from the Dominican, but provided no other details than that

I think this admission guaranteed him a spot testifying in front of congress and federal investigators now, considering he is saying that a "cousin" of his was trafficking illegal substances across international boundaries

patsfan5454
02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
He's soo full of shit! i wish he would just come out and be honest with the public! its really annoying when everyone can tell that hes only admitting to what he feels he's been caught at, Look at Bonds and Clemens and the crap they r going through, i think his half ass truths wont be enough to dodge some kind of federal prosecution

humanoid
02-17-2009, 11:43 AM
He's soo full of shit! i wish he would just come out and be honest with the public! its really annoying when everyone can tell that hes only admitting to what he feels he's been caught at, Look at Bonds and Clemens and the crap they r going through, i think his half ass truths wont be enough to dodge some kind of federal prosecution

especially now that he admitted that a mysterious "cousin" was importing drugs from the Dominican Republic...I think that is a definite point that will raise questions with the government

bakersfield
02-24-2009, 10:50 PM
HOORAY! Spring Training games begin tomorrow.
Damn..it is great to live in AZ for the next month!

Mister DVNO
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
This is the year the Angels finally stop sucking cock in the playoffs.

paulb
02-24-2009, 11:05 PM
I dont think so Tim....

humanoid
02-25-2009, 10:23 AM
This is the year the Angels finally stop sucking cock in the playoffs.

as long as they play the Yankees first

Gribbz
02-25-2009, 10:25 AM
I know I already posted this in the other baseball thread but I couldn't help myself.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DJArcLight/n617905194_2756947_58.jpg

My view. Go Diamondbacks!

bug on your lip
02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
http://capslockhouse.pbwiki.com/f/SandyVag.gif

C DUB YA
02-25-2009, 11:45 AM
I know I already posted this in the other baseball thread but I couldn't help myself.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DJArcLight/n617905194_2756947_58.jpg

I do like that ballpark, but man do I hate that team.

Gribbz
02-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Don't worry, they hate you too.

C DUB YA
02-25-2009, 01:49 PM
fucking arizona douchebacks

Gribbz
02-25-2009, 01:51 PM
That was beyond witty. Well done.

bakersfield
02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I just went to the new Dodgers / White Sox camp in Glendale to get tix for Sunday.
WOW....It is an beautiful facility!!
Gotta love the spring in AZ!

Hopeless Semantic
02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
How much more money does Manny expect to get? I don't feel sorry for the Dodgers--they knew whom they were dealing with, but the demands for his services are by far, a shame.

humanoid
02-27-2009, 10:48 AM
How much more money does Manny expect to get? I don't feel sorry for the Dodgers--they knew whom they were dealing with, but the demands for his services are by far, a shame.

I think the Dodgers screwed themselves though by placing all their eggs in one basket...Obviously, Manny is easily the premier hitter on the market, and is one of the greatest right handed run producers in baseball history, but from an actual team perspective, when you consider that Bobby Abreu signed with the Angels for $5 million a year and no headaches, Manny is clearly not that valuable...what a pain in the ass...and he's not even on the team yet...Dodger fans should be careful of what they wish for, anything beyond 2 years could end very badly and they'll all be cursing Manny's name if they get tied up with him long term

fatbastard
02-27-2009, 11:04 AM
55 minutes until Manny doesn't say anything.

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Am I the only one who finds the Manny situation hilarious?

humanoid
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM

I'm not surprised by the entire ordeal...Manny is creating headaches for a team that he's not even on yet

of course as a Dbacks fan you find this hilarious...if this were happening to the Red Sox, I would find it fairly amusing

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 12:55 PM
I think me being an az fan DOES have something to do with it.
I understand that the economy sucks and he's bitching about money but he's an athlete. This is what athletes do.
I doubt the dodgers will make the playoffs without Manny.

humanoid
02-27-2009, 12:59 PM
I think me being an az fan DOES have something to do with it.
I understand that the economy sucks and he's bitching about money but he's an athlete. This is what athletes do.
I doubt the dodgers will make the playoffs without Manny.

I think the NL West is still wide open for several of those teams, not one of them completely stands out as being the strongest in the division in my opinion

to me, the Dodgers have the strongest core of starting 9, with several of those young guys potentially poised to breakout big

the reason they need Manny is to bolster their offense to cover up for a potential significant regression in their starting pitching situation...they lost several reliable arms and aren't exactly sure how that's going to pan out

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I think the dbacks and giants have way way better pitching staffs.

I think either 3 of those teams can win it. The diamondbacks are young too. I can see breakout seasons for justin upton, chris young, connor jackson, and Mark Reynolds.

I hope so anyway.

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 01:02 PM
You're a yankee fan right humanoid?

DRcube
02-27-2009, 01:10 PM
manny was only gonna get $10-15 million for the first year, because of deffered payments...WTF?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manny-ramirez-dodgers27-2009feb27,0,2453699.story

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Who's going to cave?
I say the dodgers. They need Manny more than Manny needs them.

DRcube
02-27-2009, 01:23 PM
we should know more in a bit....both sides gave themselves a deadline for noon today

humanoid
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
I think the dbacks and giants have way way better pitching staffs.

I think either 3 of those teams can win it. The diamondbacks are young too. I can see breakout seasons for justin upton, chris young, connor jackson, and Mark Reynolds.

I hope so anyway.

I agree that both of those teams have better starting rotations than the Dodgers

Arizona with Haren and Webb have as good of a front 2 as anyone, but after that, there are definitely questions...Davis is solid, hopefully he can regian his form and be fully healthy, Garland is an innings eater and has been a winner in the past, but tends to get hit quite a bit...Scherzer made a very solid debut, but tough to know what you're getting from him being inexperienced
The bullpen lost Cruz which is huge, and Lyon, although not great was pretty effective...Qualls is very solid, but after him it's not too deep...Tom Gordon is done, Schoenweis is a decent LH option, and was very good last year, but he struggled the previous 2 seasons..Rauch is inexperienced in the bullpen

I agree that AZ also has several younger players who could breakout, but I don't see them as being quite the same quality as the Dodgers young guys
Justin Upton is a really young stud, and could turn out to be great...Chris Young has power and speed, but has huge holes in his swing, and needs to address that issue seriously...Same thing with Mark Reynolds....striking out 200 times a season is a major obstacle, unless you're hitting 45 bombs and driving in 140, then people tend to overlook those K's(Ryan Howard)..unfortunately he also made 34 errors last year at third...but he's still only 25, so hopefully he can cut down the K's....he has K'd in more than 33% of his career AB's so far, which is not good...Conor Jackson is a very solid player, but I'm not sure I would expect him to break out much more than his current level of play...great guy to have on a team, consistent ..good OBP, solid avg guy..hit may add a little more power to his game as he is a little more experienced now

Steven Drew also had a very good season for you guys last year, lots of pop, and a pretty good average, and he definitely has the potential to be a very good player for several years...he's just about to turn 26

San Francisco also has a very strong top 2 in Lincecum (who may turn out to be the best pitcher in the NL) and Matt Cain...after that they also have questions...Randy Johnson came back strong last year, but at 45, he is always one pitch away from an injury...or just completely losing his stuff...Zito is obviously a major mystery...he has been declining ever since he won the Cy Young, and has been a disaster so far in SF...although he did pitch well to finish out last season...Jonathan Sanchez has a great arm, but hasn't put together the results to match his potential yet...Noah Lowery was developing into a solid pitcher before his injury, but after missing an entire year, can't lean on him yet

humanoid
02-27-2009, 01:31 PM
You're a yankee fan right humanoid?

yes

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 01:40 PM
You seem to know your stuff humanoid. I forgot all about Stephen Drew...
Thank god lyon is gone. You should have seen me behind home plate after his many blown saves. My blood boiled. Apparently we are still trying to sign Cruz unless something happened in the last few hours I wasn't aware of.
Those young guys you mentioned on AZ do have some holes in their game. You are right about that. I think that will improve in time though. After all, they are pretty young.

I understand Randy wanted more money but I really wish he would finish his career here in AZ.

So tell me this humanoid.... would you like the yanks to sign Manny? I've heard different things from Yankee fans.

humanoid
02-27-2009, 01:41 PM
The reason I value the Dodgers young guys just a little more than the AZ younger guys is a slightly more polished and well rounded game than most of the AZ guys

Kemp, although he strikes out a lot as well like Young, still hit .290 last year, has an absolute cannon in CF and stole 35 bases

Loney while not having a tremendous amount of power, will be a great defensive first baseman, strikes out very little, and so far is a great hitter with RISP in his career...he also hammers the ball quite often, just many linedrives, which I think will translate into more HR's as he matures...

Ethier is 2 years older than both of those guys, and while he hasn't been as hyped as either of them, came quite close to having a tremendous breakout season as well, hitting .305 with 20 bombs, very strong defense and another strong OF arm

Martin is about to turn 26 and has already established himself as one of the best overall catchers in the game, can hit, catch, steal bases...rare combination of skills in a catcher

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
This is all true. However, they had pretty much the same guys before Manny showed up and they really struggled. Manny elevated them into the post season. Oh, and Arizona really choked down the stretch. Especially Webb and Haren.

Ugh.. I HATE Ethier. Probably just because he went to ASU. :)

humanoid
02-27-2009, 01:53 PM
You seem to know your stuff humanoid. I forgot all about Stephen Drew...
Thank god lyon is gone. You should have seen me behind home plate after his many blown saves. My blood boiled. Apparently we are still trying to sign Cruz unless something happened in the last few hours I wasn't aware of.
Those young guys you mentioned on AZ do have some holes in their game. You are right about that. I think that will improve in time though. After all, they are pretty young.

I understand Randy wanted more money but I really wish he would finish his career here in AZ.

So tell me this humanoid.... would you like the yanks to sign Manny? I've heard different things from Yankee fans.

baseball has been something I've loved since being a little kid...I wish my brain could retain other information as well as it can baseball!!

Cruz is still a possibility, though there have been a bunch of conflicting info surrounding the situation, involving them trying to change the arbitration rules, potential illegal sign and trade deals..lots of weird stuff...the only reason some team hasn't signed him is because he was designated a Type A free agent and teams didn;t want to pay the money and forfeit a draft pick in order to get him...after that great year he had, strange to see him unsigned...he had been one of those guys that looked like he had unlimited potential for years, but finally put it all together

Regarding Manny.....

I like the way the Yanks are currently constructed...there isn't a spot for Manny, and although I think his offensive prowess is nearly unmatched, his extra baggage could be detrimental to the team..we already are stuck with Arod's circus for the next 9 years!!! I don't want to see Manny in LF on an everyday basis....Damon has to be in the lineup, because he is clearly the Yanks best option as a leadoff hitter...Matsui will be the regular DH, and while he has slipped some due to injuries after his consecutive game streak ended, he is still a very reliable run producer with a knack for clutch hitting..plus, absolutely no baggage whatsoever ....Nady is penciled in RF, had a strong breakout season last year, and if he is healthy, I think he will be a strong performer for the Yanks, plus also has a good team attitude...and he absolutely hammers the ball often

My prediction is that Brett Gardner will win the CF job in spring training...he came up last year, and didn't hit a lot, but showed an ability to work counts which is rare for young hitters...he has very good range in CF, has a fairly strong, accurate arm......he can bunt, and run like crazy, which adds a whole new dimension to the Yanks lineup....in very limited play last year, he stole 12 or 13 bases, only being thrown out once...and that was on a pickoff....if he could hit .250-.260 in the 9 hole...I think the guy has the ability to steal 50 or 60 bases, he is that fast

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I too wouldn't want Manny on my team because of his baggage. However, if the yankees got him.... you pretty much have the world series in the bag.

humanoid
02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
This is all true. However, they had pretty much the same guys before Manny showed up and they really struggled. Manny elevated them into the post season. Oh, and Arizona really choked down the stretch. Especially Webb and Haren.

Ugh.. I HATE Ethier. Probably just because he went to ASU. :)

well, strangely...with Manny...the Dodgers had 2 drastically different months, so its tough to completely gauge his impact

on 8/1, the day before Manny's debut, the Dodgers were 54-55...at the end of August, they were 67-70...so they actually regressed from where they were
Manny actually had a slightly better month in August, hitting .415 with 9 HR and 25 rbi....while hitting .370 with 8 HR and 28 Rbi's

so, while Manny had a great time with them, other guys picking it up more in September contributed as much to the team's success

obviously, Manny contributed significantly, but he didn't necessarily carry them...his addition, plus the improvement of the other guys around him in Sept, carried them to the postseason

during Sept, they went on a tear to finish 84-78..

humanoid
02-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I too wouldn't want Manny on my team because of his baggage. However, if the yankees got him.... you pretty much have the world series in the bag.

it would be exciting, no doubt....but as strange as it sounds coming from a Yankee fan, I also don't like the idea of us signing every available free agent possible

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
it would be exciting, no doubt....but as strange as it sounds coming from a Yankee fan, I also don't like the idea of us signing every available free agent possible

LOL, yeah that is rather odd coming from a yankee fan.

You're probably against a salary cap in baseball right?

If not, you'd be the weirdest yankee fan ever. :)

humanoid
02-27-2009, 03:03 PM
LOL, yeah that is rather odd coming from a yankee fan.

You're probably against a salary cap in baseball right?

If not, you'd be the weirdest yankee fan ever. :)

well, I am a fan of the game of baseball first and foremost...I appreciate the process of scouting and player development, and the ability as a fan to track a player's progression through the system in hopes of seeing them make an impact on the big league squad

I know that there is a huge disparity in salaries between the haves and have nots in basebll...I don't quite know the exact answer though, I'm not sure it's truly a salary cap

people see it as a way to introduce parity to MLB, but in reality in the past 30 years, MLB has had the most diversity in it's championship winners in any of the major sports...per Peter Gammons on ESPN.com
"In those 30 years, 20 different teams have won World Series titles. In those same 30 years, 14 different teams have won the Super Bowl, 13 have won the Stanley Cup and nine have won the NBA championship."

also in the era of $100 million dollar payrolls, only twice has a team with a $100 mil payroll won the World Series, both times the Red Sox won..

people like to blame the Yankees, but love to gloat that they just spend money and it doesn't amount to anything

I understand that it does heavily influence regular season success, but also the Yankees revenue sharing contributions and road games sales contribute greatly to other teams finances...a lot of teams only sellouts of the season are when the Yankees and Red Sox come to town..I'm not sure if capping the spending works to help the business or would contribute to evened out mediocrity and hurt business

I think the only way a salary cap works is if you institute a minimum as well, because we all know there are poorly run organizations who simply pocket the money and don't put it back into the on field product

certainly, I think there need to be some changes made, like instituting a draft for international players, so that the same couple teams aren't the only ones able to bid for worldwide talent

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Very good points. I'm really fucking sick so forgive me if my responses are short.

I for one can't blame the yankees for spending obscene amounts of money. It's their money. They can do what they want.

It shows the owners care about winning. I'd rather have my team spend too much than too little.

humanoid
02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Very good points. I'm really fucking sick so forgive me if my responses are short.

I for one can't blame the yankees for spending obscene amounts of money. It's their money. They can do what they want.

It shows the owners care about winning. I'd rather have my team spend too much than too little.

I do understand why people do resent the Yankees, but they are not doing anything outside of the rules. Lately, they've put a product on the field that is consistently entertaining for their fans and the fans respond with record attendance and support. It's hard to find fault in that.

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 08:13 PM
You originally from NY?

boarderwoozel3
02-27-2009, 08:16 PM

Nope. I'm loving every minute of torment he puts the Dodgers and their fans though :)

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Nope. I'm loving every minute of torment he puts the Dodgers and their fans though :)

lol me too.

humanoid
02-27-2009, 08:22 PM
You originally from NY?

no, I'm a California native...but my grandpa played some minor league ball affiliated with the Yankees for a while before WWII and he and my mom's brothers were all Yankee fans in Pennsylvania before moving out here...it just kinda ran in the family(at least my moms side) my dad was raised in Anaheim and they're all lifelong Angels fans, so they all hate me!

then the first year I ever played baseball, I was on the Yankees...and in my first pack of baseball cards I ever got when I was 7, I got a Don Mattingly rookie card...it just stuck with me ever since

humanoid
02-27-2009, 08:23 PM

lol me too.

it's amazing, Manny is being Manny, driving the Dodgers nuts, and he's not even on the team yet!!!

Gribbz
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM
no, I'm a California native...but my grandpa played some minor league ball affiliated with the Yankees for a while before WWII and he and my mom's brothers were all Yankee fans in Pennsylvania before moving out here...it just kinda ran in the family(at least my moms side) my dad was raised in Anaheim and they're all lifelong Angels fans, so they all hate me!

then the first year I ever played baseball, I was on the Yankees...and in my first pack of baseball cards I ever got when I was 7, I got a Don Mattingly rookie card...it just stuck with me ever since

That's cool. At least they aren't dodger fans. The Angels sure are BORING to watch live though. I like their owner. UA alum :)

I for one hated baseball till Arizona finally got a team. I got curious, started watching. I remember my dad took me out of class to go to a minor league game in middle school and apparently I told him "I wish you would have kept me in class."

Go figure.

gmoneyak
02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
http://www.teamflagstore.com/twins2.jpg
http://images.publicradio.org/content/2006/04/03/20060403_twinsballpark_2.jpg

I'm extremely psyched for this year. My young Twins team is in prime position to dominate the AL Central for the next 5 years. They'll close the last year in the Metrodome with another division title.

Our team is loaded for the future, Mauer and Morneau are just beginning to hit their prime, our entire starting rotation is under 28 yrs old, we have 4 solid outfielders, and a boatload of riches in AAA. Not to mention a huge influx of cash next year for free agents and prospects for potential trades.

humanoid
02-28-2009, 01:49 AM
I always secretly root for the Twins...the team is consistently playing quality baseball, developing great talent, year after year...great organization with a modest sized budget...hopefully they will get a good boost from the new stadium..it will be interesting to see how well the outdoor stadium will work out there

Mauer & Morneau are great...Carlos Gomez is way exciting to watch...if they can get a moderately healthy season out of Joe Crede, that could be a huge pickup for them

hopefully Liriano is fully healthy and able to realize his potential, that kid has wicked stuff...plus, Nathan is as good as anyone

I think they're my pick for the Central this season. If not, they'll without a doubt be right there...

Gribbz
02-28-2009, 09:07 AM
I worked at this nice EYEtalian restaurant in high school. One day Kerby Pucket came in. Nice guy.

gmoneyak
02-28-2009, 11:17 AM
I always secretly root for the Twins...the team is consistently playing quality baseball, developing great talent, year after year...great organization with a modest sized budget...hopefully they will get a good boost from the new stadium..it will be interesting to see how well the outdoor stadium will work out there

Mauer & Morneau are great...Carlos Gomez is way exciting to watch...if they can get a moderately healthy season out of Joe Crede, that could be a huge pickup for them

hopefully Liriano is fully healthy and able to realize his potential, that kid has wicked stuff...plus, Nathan is as good as anyone

I think they're my pick for the Central this season. If not, they'll without a doubt be right there...

Exactly, Crede could be all the difference for us if he can stay on the field and produce 15-20 hrs. We need that extra power bat in the lineup to take the pressure off of Morneau. He's also a near Gold Glove quality 3rd baseman.

Liriano finished last year 7-1 w/a 2.50ish ERA last year, he should be rounding back to form this year. Our questions will be in the pen leading up to Nathan. We have a kid named Mijeras who came on late last year and is NASTY, a .087 ERA in 10 games last year.

This spring, the major battle will be in the outfield between Cuddyer, Delmon Young, Carlos Gomez, and Denard Span. I'm hoping Delmon gets the nod and they shop Cuddyer, personally. Delmon is only 23 and has loads of potential, he just needs to develop that power which will eventually come over time. Gomez just need to learn some discipline at the plate. The defense all over the field will be solid..

humanoid
02-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Yeah, the D is really solid, Crede is awesome defensively..I like him as a player

I totally forgot to mention Denard Span...what a year for them, .387 OBP was huge, especially considering Gomez's lack of patience..if Gomez can figure out how to lay off a few pitches, he'll be so dangerous....so exciting, but pretty easy to get out too often, so far

same thing with Young, he clearly hits the crap out of the ball, but looks clueless at the plate way too often...he's still really young though, and his power should increase in the next year or 2...he's still hit at least .290 the whole time, so that's great, just needs to figure out a little patience

With Kubel developing into a 20 hr guy, Cuddyer may be expendable...but they also seem to be prime DH platoon with Cuddyer seeing OF time as well...Cuddyer hits lefties well, and Kubel hits righties well....hopefully Cuddyer comes back from his injuries and is healthy, he seems like a good team guy

buddy
02-28-2009, 01:26 PM
anybody been watching mlb network? its pretty good if you like baseball. in-depth analysis, interviews, etc. theyre doing 30 clubs in 30 days up until opening day. theyre on the twins right now, by the way.

humanoid
02-28-2009, 02:30 PM
anybody been watching mlb network? its pretty good if you like baseball. in-depth analysis, interviews, etc. theyre doing 30 clubs in 30 days up until opening day. theyre on the twins right now, by the way.

it's so awesome... I don't watch tv that much, but baseball is an exception..

I was always pissed when baseball tonight would end on ESPN and they'd move on to some sport I don't care about...now I don't have to worry about that

Gribbz
02-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Sorry to change the subject but I guess Colleti and Boras got into a shouting match the other day. lulz.

Gribbz
02-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Mo Manny, Mo problems.

buddy
02-28-2009, 02:48 PM
it's so awesome... I don't watch tv that much, but baseball is an exception..

I was always pissed when baseball tonight would end on ESPN and they'd move on to some sport I don't care about...now I don't have to worry about that

true i always felt the same. going on about some fucking TO or Brett Favre story. ive enjoyed the channel so far. im interested to see if they show games on the channel even though i more than likely will get the mlb season pass.

buddy
02-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Mo Manny, Mo problems.

as a red sox fan its funny to see this from outsiders view now. Manny was a great hitter and we probably dont get 2 world series titles without him, but its good to see him gone now. and Boras is a complete scum. i know he's only doing his job, but regardless if i was an owner i wouldnt even want him in my ballpark.

Down Rodeo
02-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Yeah, you guys will laugh until the Dodgers finally re-sign Manny and win the NL West this season.

By the way, I loathe Scott Boras.

Gribbz
02-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah, you guys will laugh until the Dodgers finally re-sign Manny and win the NL West this season.

By the way, I loathe Scott Boras.

You can't win a division without solid pitching. Arizona and SF have that. The DOYERS don't.

humanoid
02-28-2009, 05:07 PM
the longer this drags out, I wouldn't be so sure of Manny being happy and motivated..he could just as easily be a drag on the team as the motivation that he was last year

Dodger fans only saw Manny on the best behavior for 2 months...over the length of a season, 2 or 3 it could be a totally different story

BTW....he's not going to hit .396 again either

buddy
02-28-2009, 05:07 PM
pitchings where its at. and i don't see manny carrying the dodgers like he did at the end of last year. he'll have a decent year, but nowhere what he did last year for the second half.

humanoid
02-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Dale Gribble....Juan Cruz just signed with Kansas City...weird...

I detailed my theory several pages ago regarding KC, they will surprise a lot of teams this season...lots of young talent on that team...

if Juan Cruz can be anything similar to his last 2 years in AZ, they have a great back of their bullpen with him and Soria

humanoid
02-28-2009, 05:12 PM
pitchings where its at. and i don't see manny carrying the dodgers like he did at the end of last year. he'll have a decent year, but nowhere what he did last year for the second half.

Manny is a great hitter no doubt, but he was motivated to hit for a contract....which is always a factor...guys often have tremendous statistical jumps in contract years, it's way more than a theory

he is a year older and of questionable motivation...I would be worried about him over the long term

buddy
02-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Manny is a great hitter no doubt, but he was motivated to hit for a contract....which is always a factor...guys often have tremendous statistical jumps in contract years, it's way more than a theory

he is a year older and of questionable motivation...I would be worried about him over the long term

i could see why no one wants to give a long term contract he's 37 now. he'll be 40, 41 by the end of that. i wouldn't give him that, unless youre a desparate team, which the dodgers kind of are. but they got the leverage because theres no else who wants to pay him long term.

Down Rodeo
02-28-2009, 05:28 PM
That's why the Dodgers aren't offering him longer than a two-year contract. No one else will either, so Manny will be forced to accept it (hopefully).

buddy
02-28-2009, 05:42 PM
whoa youre up in berkeley and youre a dodger fan?

Gribbz
02-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Dale Gribble....Juan Cruz just signed with Kansas City...weird...

I detailed my theory several pages ago regarding KC, they will surprise a lot of teams this season...lots of young talent on that team...

if Juan Cruz can be anything similar to his last 2 years in AZ, they have a great back of their bullpen with him and Soria

OI!!

Oh well. It was his fault Orlando Hudson got hurt last year. (In my mind anyway.)

humanoid
02-28-2009, 05:51 PM
That's why the Dodgers aren't offering him longer than a two-year contract. No one else will either, so Manny will be forced to accept it (hopefully).

he seems to be quite into the money aspect of it, and he's definitely not going to get more money out of someone other than the Dodgers right now

I'd be worried that the longer this dragged out he'd feel "disrespected" or have his feelings hurt and do something crazy for less money to spite them and prove to them how much they needed him

I don't really think Boras will let that happen though, he's already lost money on a few free agent deals this winter, he's going to want his cut of the biggest deal he can get for Manny

humanoid
02-28-2009, 05:52 PM
OI!!

Oh well. It was his fault Orlando Hudson got hurt last year. (In my mind anyway.)

how was it his fault? I don't remember how Hudson was hurt last season

Gribbz
02-28-2009, 06:04 PM
He was trying to cut off the runner. BAD BAD throw. Hudson dove. End of season.

It was funny.. Amare Stoudamire was sitting right in front of me. I was wasted and screaming at cruz because he blew a crucial save. I don't think Amare liked me yelling in his ear. Oh well.

biggfoot17
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
cubs are the only undefeated team in spring trainging. this is just setting me up for another disappointing october. what shitty nl west team are they going to get swept by this year? haha

Down Rodeo
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
whoa youre up in berkeley and youre a dodger fan?

Yeah, it's because I moved here from New Mexico. It can make for some uncomfortable moments though, when I'm walking around in Dodgers gear.

Gribbz
03-02-2009, 12:00 AM
cubs are the only undefeated team in spring trainging. this is just setting me up for another disappointing october. what shitty nl west team are they going to get swept by this year? haha

LOL.

I'm going with the Diamondbacks.

humanoid
03-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Oakland just signed Orlando Cabrera to take over at short for the woefully underachieving Bobby Crosby

Not that I feel Oakland has near the talent level to overtake the Angels, but they have made a ton of moves that should at least make the AL West a lot more competitive this season. Last year was a joke, the Angels didn't play a meaningful game after July and I think that affected their playoff readiness.

The addition of Cabrera gives Oakland a very strong DP combo up the middle with him and Mark Ellis. Giambi adds a lot of patience, OBP and pop, and Holliday is a great overall player, and he'll just have to prove he can continue it outside of Coors Field.

Of course, they have traded away most of their starting pitchers again, so they have a whole new group of guys that they'll throw out there. If Duchsherer can be healthy, he is very good, and Dana Eveland has shown spurts of quality, but as of now, the rest are slightly questionable.

Gribbz
03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I was just about to post that....beat me to it humanoid!

biggfoot17
03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Yeah, it's because I moved here from New Mexico. It can make for some uncomfortable moments though, when I'm walking around in Dodgers gear.

i lived in albuquerque during the Dukes' best years. 5 ROY awards in a row made for some great triple A ball.

LOL.

I'm going with the Diamondbacks.

dude, i hope not. went to game 1 and 2 two years ago in phoenix, and i have never been in a more boring downtown. Thursday night, the home team just won their second game, and what's going on downtown? not a damn thing! although, thunder dan majerle bought my friends and i a round of drinks and gave us majerle's t-shirts haha

humanoid
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
nice...I have a few hours at home, and flipped on the MLB Network to see that the Yankees are playing against Team USA...just in time to see Jeter put USA up 2-1 with a 2 run single

great to see baseball games on, I love it

Jeter just ranged up the middle as well as he ever has, threw low to Youklis playing first, and he couldn't come up with it....so the Yankees crowd booed Youklis...awesome

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM
i lived in albuquerque during the Dukes' best years. 5 ROY awards in a row made for some great triple A ball.

dude, i hope not. went to game 1 and 2 two years ago in phoenix, and i have never been in a more boring downtown. Thursday night, the home team just won their second game, and what's going on downtown? not a damn thing! although, thunder dan majerle bought my friends and i a round of drinks and gave us majerle's t-shirts haha

I don't like phoenix. At all.

The only reason I go to that area is for Diamondback/Suns/Cardinals games.

I love chase field though despite how shitty downtown phx is.

TomAz
03-03-2009, 12:52 PM
That's quite a dis coming from someone as urbane and sophisticated as Dale Gribble.

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't argue about shit like this. I'm not going to try to defend downtown phx when I don't care for it. People say things about my town all the time and I could care less. Sorry I touched a nerve.

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 01:10 PM
And you really REALLY hurt my feelings dissing my avatar like that. :(

humanoid
03-03-2009, 01:10 PM
fuck Tuscon Dale Gribble!!

ok, just kidding...I was hoping for something baseball related

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I had a feeling someone from Phoenix would get all upset. Oh well. I lived in Phoenix before I moved here. I just like it here in Tucson more.

Not too much longer till opening day humanoid!!

humanoid
03-03-2009, 01:12 PM
not too much longer at all...I have several things to do today, but I haven't been able to stop watching the Yankees vs Team USA game

biggfoot17
03-03-2009, 01:13 PM
it'll always be the B.O.B. to me haha. it is a nice field, but its no wrigley

biggfoot17
03-03-2009, 01:15 PM
mlb puts a smile on my face like no other. duncan will strike out to lose it

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Wow, it's been like 2 days and there aren't any MANNY stories. Amazing.

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
it'll always be the B.O.B. to me haha. it is a nice field, but its no wrigley

LOL. Well dude that goes without saying. I don't think anyone would have the nerve to compare Wrigley to any new ballpark.

biggfoot17
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
who cares. the dodgers will still suck with him. they have no pitching!

humanoid
03-03-2009, 01:17 PM
mlb puts a smile on my face like no other. duncan will strike out to lose it

thats what i was expecting also

biggfoot17
03-03-2009, 01:19 PM
LOL. Well dude that goes without saying. I don't think anyone would have the nerve to compare Wrigley to any new ballpark.

hahaha i always have to throw it in there. i'm glad san diego's new stadium is nice. going to games at qualcomm in the middle of july was terrible. that place radiated heat

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Humanoid, do they have an interactive website for the new yankee stadium? One where I can see the whole lay out. I saw them building the foundation last time I was in NYC...

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 01:20 PM
hahaha i always have to throw it in there. i'm glad san diego's new stadium is nice. going to games at qualcomm in the middle of july was terrible. that place radiated heat

I love Petco even though it's a pitchers park. The warehouse thing in left field is dope. I saw Pujols hit a bomb there. It was awesome. A ton of diamondback fans show up too when we play the padres.

Hopeless Semantic
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
The new Twins stadium that they're proposing looks really sweet...so would've the Oakland A's proposed Alameda ballpark prior to it getting nixed.

I kinda like CitiField better than New Yankee Stadium...

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
The new Twins stadium that they're proposing looks really sweet...so would've the Oakland A's proposed Alameda ballpark prior to it getting nixed.

I kinda like CitiField better than New Yankee Stadium...

Anything to get out of the metrodome....holy shit.

vinylmartyr
03-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Manny just signed!!!

suprefan
03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
SDFGSDFAGJFJHSDFFSDFGVSDAF

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3949705

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Finally.

suprefan
03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
and its fake apparently.

humanoid
03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
doesn't that article say this?

"We are in discussions and we have no deal in place,'' Boras said.

suprefan
03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
no they updated it like 20 minutes ago barely.

Gribbz
03-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I wonder which Manny you will get.

humanoid
03-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I wonder which Manny you will get.

probably great for a while, but then the Dodgers fans will start to understand Manny when he comes up mysteriously injured when the Dodgers face guys like Lincecum, Webb, Haren, and Jake Peavy

vinylmartyr
03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
9:37pm: T.J. Simers of the L.A. Times spoke with Manny on Tuesday afternoon and collected a few nice quotes. Keep in mind that this conversation took place before tonight's events:

"I'm happy in L.A. I like my teammates and had a great time," said Ramirez. "The fans were so good to me; they treated me the best anywhere in my career. And now I think we're close [to a deal]. ... Tell everyone Mannywood is coming."

suprefan
03-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah he should understand that we arent new york where no matter how well you do you arent good enough if a world series ring isnt involved.

humanoid
03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
there is no way Manny will be adored anywhere like he was in LA...they got only the best of Manny, and he gave the best in return

humanoid
03-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah he should understand that we arent new york where no matter how well you do you arent good enough if a world series ring isnt involved.

considering he's never played professionally in NY, I don't think that's relevant

bakersfield
03-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Went to opening day of the new Dodgers facility here in Glendale.
Beautiful spot!!
Want to check out the new Indians park in Goodyear...but cannot imagine it being as nice as this.

Cheddar's Cousin
03-04-2009, 11:40 AM
MANNY!

humanoid
03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
sweet...it already feels like old news

Gribbz
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
sweet...it already feels like old news

LOL. Everyone was on the edge of their seats....

biggfoot17
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
seriously, i mean seriously, do dodger fans actually think the dodgers will compete this year? manny is going to shut it down 2 months into the season cause this team will already be 10 games under. they have no pitching! what a waste of $45million. but do you really expect the dodgers to spend their money any better? andruw jones? jason schmidt? given, manny is better than those guys and has shown no signs of slowing down, but if the dodgers aren't in a position to compete manny is just going to phone it in

humanoid
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
The Dodgers pitching is seriously suspect, but the maturation of the young, up and coming stars, plus the return of a healthy Furcal, signing of Hudson, lack of Jeff Kent's negative influence, and now the re-addition of Manny, I would expect them to compete well within their division. Arizona has some young guys who are also developing, but they lost several pieces including Hudson, Big Unit, Adam Dunn, Juan Cruz and Brandon Lyon, so I think they also have their fair share of questions. San Francisco has a strong rotation and added some nice bullpen pieces and a starting SS, but their offense is less than impressive. Colorado lost their biggest bat, their #1 starter due to injury, their stud SS of 2 years ago just had an abysmal second year full of struggles and injury, not to mention a tremendous hangover from the season before, so they are also question laden. San Diego is coming off a year of 99 losses, so they have plenty of issues.

I don't see why the Dodgers won't at least compete in the NL West

HEADSTRUCK
03-04-2009, 07:47 PM
I just came home and the cubs vs sox game is on......first game I have got to see this year!!! Best time of the year!!

Gribbz
03-04-2009, 08:29 PM
The Dodgers will for sure compete. I just think they lost a great arm when Lowe left. Dodger fans don't seem to worry though. Oh well. Time will tell.

DRcube
03-04-2009, 08:44 PM
dodger pitching has been shaky for as long as i could remember

Gribbz
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
They had the best ERA in the NL for most of last year correct?

BKsaysAction!
03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I think the dodgers will do good this year. We got rid of jones who was bringing us down and now that ramirez was bribed to stay which is smart on his part, our batting average will go up. As for our bullpin the roster isn't bad but our pitching tends to go either way. So we'll just have to wait and see.

humanoid
03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
one of their biggest issues will be that they are losing 194 innings from Maddux and 211 innings from Lowe...without a really clear picture of who will now pitch those innings...that will be potentially taxing on their bullpen

BKsaysAction!
03-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Yeah losing lowe hurts.

biggfoot17
03-04-2009, 11:31 PM
they have a lot of good young guys with loads of potential. kemp and ethier should put up similiar numbers to last year. if loney can figure out a way to tap into his power from 07, the dodgers have a pretty nice 1-6.

but their pitching really leaves something to be desired if you're a dodgers fan. billingsley has improved every year he's been a dodger, but i don't know if he's ready to step in as the ace. kuroda and kershaw are really going to have to step up their game. their #5 starter is going to be terrible, whoever it is. and their bullpen is just eh.

they're lucky they're in a weak division

btw, baseball prospectus has the dbacks winning 92 games this year

Gribbz
03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah, but I doubt the NL West will be as weak this year.

The Diamondbacks, Giants, and Dodgers should all contend.

humanoid
03-04-2009, 11:47 PM
they have a lot of good young guys with loads of potential. kemp and ethier should put up similiar numbers to last year. if loney can figure out a way to tap into his power from 07, the dodgers have a pretty nice 1-6.

but their pitching really leaves something to be desired if you're a dodgers fan. billingsley has improved every year he's been a dodger, but i don't know if he's ready to step in as the ace. kuroda and kershaw are really going to have to step up their game. their #5 starter is going to be terrible, whoever it is. and their bullpen is just eh.

they're lucky they're in a weak division

btw, baseball prospectus has the dbacks winning 92 games this year

Loney will probably develop more power as he ages, but he hits really hard line drives often...even a lot of his HR's are smoked line shots...some of those will turn out to be homers...he probably won't become a major power hitter, but if he hits 20 or so or a few more, he'll be fine....he hit .304 with Runners in scoring position last year, and .419 RISP in 2007..so he is an effective run producer...I really like watching him hit

humanoid
03-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Gonna be up all night watching part of the WBC opener, Japan v China

Stoked to see Yu Darvish pitch...super hyped Iranian Japanese kid who some scouts have been calling one of the best pitchers in the World....hard to live up to that hype at age 22

Hopeless Semantic
03-05-2009, 08:31 AM
I expect the Dodgers to be major players in the trade market come All-Star Break. Their rotation is young and may hold down the fort until then, but I don't see them having the same success as they had last year if they don't get at least one arm to bolster the rotation. The economy fall will precipitate a team willing to part with a 1 or 2 rotation guy, so look for the McCourts to pick up a starter...

HEADSTRUCK
03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
WBC is about to start on espn....Japan vs China

humanoid
03-05-2009, 11:21 AM
WBC is about to start on espn....Japan vs China

2 posts up!!!

I stayed up until 5 in the morning and watched the entire thing....I planned on only watching a couple innings, but I got all into it and couldn't stop watching baseball!!!

humanoid
03-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I expect the Dodgers to be major players in the trade market come All-Star Break. Their rotation is young and may hold down the fort until then, but I don't see them having the same success as they had last year if they don't get at least one arm to bolster the rotation. The economy fall will precipitate a team willing to part with a 1 or 2 rotation guy, so look for the McCourts to pick up a starter...

I expect that to happen as well, but they better hope that the rotation holds it down decently until then, because it's impossible to know what kind of quality pitcher will be available at that time...

Peavy isn't going to get traded to the Dodgers...Oakland doesn't have any more starters to trade away....They can really, really hope that Toronto is crushed early(in the AL EAST, definitely a possibility) and is willing to part with Roy Halladay...( I would love this, Halladay owns the Yankees)

I'm having trouble thinking of any other pitchers with bigger contracts on teams likely to be struggling that may be willing to move a guy

Maybe someone like Curt Schilling could be a possibility on a partial season contract? He's old, and I hate him, but if he's healthy he is a great big game pitcher

humanoid
03-05-2009, 12:52 PM
So Arod goes from having a cyst in his hip to a day later having a torn labrum in his hip...

9 more years.................

C DUB YA
03-05-2009, 01:00 PM
torn Labium?

humanoid
03-05-2009, 01:24 PM
torn Labium?

more like it

the guy is talented but holy fucking god is he growing tiresome...

this injury supposedly bothered him last year, yet he did nothing about it in the offseason, and now he could be out several months right before the start of the season??? way to be a team guy..

I know it sounds terrible and ridiculous, but I wouldn't be tremendously upset if Arod's hip degenerated, forcing him to retire early..

yes, the Yankees would miss his pop in the lineup, but over time, I think it would balance out with the loss of his constant distractions to the team

we are seeing exactly why the Texas Rangers players were happy to see him leave, so they could resume being a team again

so sick of hearing about this guy....he's making it even tougher to root for him....obviously, I'm rooting for the Yankees, so I have to root for him for the team to succeed but...enough already

paulb
03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
no........comon Arod.... well, if he is out.... it will give a really good chance for Mark Texiera to shine and prove to the team that he is worth the money...

seandlr
03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
i would just love to see the yankees fail this year

humanoid
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
i would just love to see the yankees fail this year

it's gonna be a really tough road...With them, Boston and Tampa Bay, the East will be great fight all season...

I think the Yanks have a great shot, but the beauty of baseball is nothing is guaranteed, you may get your wish

humanoid
03-05-2009, 01:33 PM
no........comon Arod.... well, if he is out.... it will give a really good chance for Mark Texiera to shine and prove to the team that he is worth the money...

I'm really bothered that this comes out right now...seems fishy

his production will be missed, but hopefully it will give Jeter and the rest of the TEAM to a chance to pull together and play like they are capable of

they just really, really need Posada to be healthy and able to catch a fair amount of games, because with Arod out for a while, they can't afford to be missing Jorge too

paulb
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
we def need Jorge to stay healthy....but Jose Molina is a very good backup. I hope Matsui doesnt have any more knee problems this year, and can keep the production level up.

Who did Boston pick up this off season?

HEADSTRUCK
03-05-2009, 01:39 PM

John Smoltz

humanoid
03-05-2009, 01:43 PM
we def need Jorge to stay healthy....but Jose Molina is a very good backup. I hope Matsui doesnt have any more knee problems this year, and can keep the production level up.

Jose Molina is a great defensive backup, but that is all....we saw last year what happens when he plays too often...he swings at everything, and gets exposed as the .200 hitter he is..double play waiting to happen, he pounds the ball right into the ground on a regular basis

small doses, Jose is great...but not too much....Yanks really need Jorge

Boston got Josh Bard to backup Varitek

signed a bunch of injury recoveries, who if healthy, could be awesome for them...but several big IFS

John Smoltz
Brad Penny
Takashi Saito
Rocco Baldelli (this one scares me, if he's healthy, he's a superstar...and he kills the Yanks....but his health has always been a question)

they got a good reliever Ramon Ramirez when they traded Coco Crisp to KC

signed a 22 year old Japanese pitcher named Junichi Tazawa...good reports, but tough to gauge right now

Gribbz
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
What do you know about Garland humanoid?

I honestly didn't know much when I heard Arizona signed him a few weeks ago.

humanoid
03-05-2009, 01:58 PM
What do you know about Garland humanoid?

I honestly didn't know much when I heard Arizona signed him a few weeks ago.

he's consistently found a way to win games over his career, even if his other numbers aren't great

he did have a really strong season or 2 for the White Sox 3 or 4 years ago...he won 18 games 2 years in a row 05/06...one year with a 3.5 era

he's usually a mid 4's era guy, who can give up homeruns...he has pretty good control, but gives up a decent amount of hits

he has made at least 32 starts every season since 2001, so he's consistently durable

innings eater, durable...he had a 4.90 era for the Angels last year, but I would expect him to be closer to lower 4's in NL West

Gribbz
03-05-2009, 01:59 PM
he's consistently found a way to win games over his career, even if his other numbers aren't great

he did have a really strong season or 2 for the White Sox 3 or 4 years ago...he won 18 games 2 years in a row 05/06...one year with a 3.5 era

he's usually a mid 4's era guy, who can give up homeruns...he has pretty good control, but gives up a decent amount of hits

he has made at least 32 starts every season since 2001, so he's consistently durable

innings eater, durable...he had a 4.90 era for the Angels last year, but I would expect him to be closer to lower 4's in NL West

Yeah, I thought it was a decent pick up.

Hopeless Semantic
03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I wonder when Yu Darvish is going to head to the States...the kid seems like he can bring it.

humanoid
03-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I wonder when Yu Darvish is going to head to the States...the kid seems like he can bring it.

according to the Japanese league rules, he can't for another 5 years

that kid is smooth, they say he has the ability to throw 7 pitches for strikes

I stayed up until 5 am this morning to watch that game live, mostly to watch Darvish pitch

Hopeless Semantic
03-05-2009, 02:21 PM
The dude also has the coolest ethnicity for a pitcher--Japanese and Persian (Iranian). 7 pitches? Wowza...but damn, he'll be 27 by the time he makes it to MLB...

humanoid
03-05-2009, 02:50 PM
The dude also has the coolest ethnicity for a pitcher--Japanese and Persian (Iranian). 7 pitches? Wowza...but damn, he'll be 27 by the time he makes it to MLB...

27 is right about when a lot of pitchers are getting to their prime years, so it shouldn't be too bad...

he could still have a very good MLB career...Dice K was 26 when he came over

humanoid
03-05-2009, 02:51 PM
7 pitches is a little optimistic, if he came over, they'd likely have him trim it down to 4, possibly 5

he looks smooth and poised though for such a young guy, tremendous potential

paulb
03-05-2009, 02:54 PM
is Kei Igawa still on the Yankees? worst foreign pitcher ever.

Gribbz
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
is Kei Igawa still on the Yankees? worst foreign pitcher ever.

I believe the correct answer is Byung-Hyun Kim.

That fucker almost cost my team its only world series.

humanoid
03-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Byung Hyun Kim did have 2 great seasons for you guys in the bullpen, including 2001...he just had a really rough World Series...he actually had 2 great years for Arizona, pitching regularly and putting up very good numbers...plus he had a decent length career

Kei Igawa on the other hand, made only 13 starts for the Yankees, pitching 71 innings, giving up 89 hits and 37 walks....only winning 2 games with a 6.66 era

all for the price of $46 million

sorry, Kei Igawa wins....er. loses

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Byung Hyun Kim did have 2 great seasons for you guys in the bullpen, including 2001...he just had a really rough World Series...he actually had 2 great years for Arizona, pitching regularly and putting up very good numbers...plus he had a decent length career

Kei Igawa on the other hand, made only 13 starts for the Yankees, pitching 71 innings, giving up 89 hits and 37 walks....only winning 2 games with a 6.66 era

all for the price of $46 million

sorry, Kei Igawa wins....er. loses

Statistically Igawa "wins." But I'm sure you were doing a little dance when BK gave up that SECOND walk off home run in Yankee stadium. I think he was only 20 at the time. That would have been a tough off season for him..

humanoid
03-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Statistically Igawa "wins." But I'm sure you were doing a little dance when BK gave up that SECOND walk off home run in Yankee stadium. I think he was only 20 at the time. That would have been a tough off season for him..

of course, I loved it at the time, but I just think it's unfair to label a guy the worst of anything over a couple bad outings in the World Series, when he had a pretty good Diamondback career...also, like you said, he was 21 or so

in 2001 BH Kim threw 27 more innings as Kei Igawa has in his 2 years as a Yankee....and Igawa is a starter!

the balance gets thrown way off considering the stupid ass contract the Yankees gave Igawa

damn it, now I'm thinking about the 2001 World Series and crying in my coffee

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 09:36 AM
of course, I loved it at the time, but I just think it's unfair to label a guy the worst of anything over a couple bad outings in the World Series, when he had a pretty good Diamondback career...also, like you said, he was 21 or so

in 2001 BH Kim threw 27 more innings as Kei Igawa has in his 2 years as a Yankee....and Igawa is a starter!

the balance gets thrown way off considering the stupid ass contract the Yankees gave Igawa

damn it, now I'm thinking about the 2001 World Series and crying in my coffee

LOL. Mark Grace said it best: "The Yankees have a lot of world series titles...let the diamondbacks have one."

:)

humanoid
03-06-2009, 09:43 AM
yeah, Yanks lost, but it was an absolutely great series

one of the last WS that was interesing

last few have been pretty boring

2008-5 games
2007- sweep
2006-5 games
2005-sweep
2004-sweep

Gribbz
03-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I think that's arguably the best world series ever. (LOL I think I'm going to smoke a bowl and watch that DVD.)
That world series when the Twins last won was pretty good too.

Hopeless Semantic
03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
yeah, Yanks lost, but it was an absolutely great series

one of the last WS that was interesing

last few have been pretty boring

2008-5 games
2007- sweep
2006-5 games
2005-sweep
2004-sweep

I'm an Angels fan and we were part of a pretty exciting World Series. I do have to agree with you, Humanoid, that the recent vintage WS have been less than stellar. It seems the mantra for boring championship events has been switched from the NFL to MLB...

humanoid
03-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm an Angels fan and we were part of a pretty exciting World Series. I do have to agree with you, Humanoid, that the recent vintage WS have been less than stellar. It seems the mantra for boring championship events has been switched from the NFL to MLB...

you're right, '02 was a really good one too...Spiezio went on a crazy tear in the playoffs, and that was the dawn of the Frankie era

I just try to keep that one out of mind, it was the birth of a new brand of cockiness and obnoxiousness for Angels fans that I know to attempt to rival that of many Yankees & Red Sox fans

Hopeless Semantic
03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
you're right, '02 was a really good one too...Spiezio went on a crazy tear in the playoffs, and that was the dawn of the Frankie era

I just try to keep that one out of mind, it was the birth of a new brand of cockiness and obnoxiousness for Angels fans that I know to attempt to rival that of many Yankees & Red Sox fans

Well, their fanbase is generally Orange County...

humanoid
03-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, their fanbase is generally Orange County...

hey, we're not all bad!!!

you're right though

Hopeless Semantic
03-06-2009, 04:53 PM
hey, we're not all bad!!!

you're right though

No, there are a ton of good people I consider friends from The O.C., it's just there are also a ton of douches that make the OC a horrible place to visit. I'm certain you're not one of them, but just stating the obvious haha. I also know there is a huge Yankee contingent in the OC, too.

humanoid
03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
No, there are a ton of good people I consider friends from The O.C., it's just there are also a ton of douches that make the OC a horrible place to visit. I'm certain you're not one of them, but just stating the obvious haha. I also know there is a huge Yankee contingent in the OC, too.

it's funny, there is a huge group in the middle that just straddles the fence and jumps whatever bandwagon is popular at the time...pre 2002, I would go to Yankees games in Anaheim, and Yankee fans would easily outnumber Angels fans....easily

post 2002, that middle group has shifted allegiance and are now some of the most vocal and obnoxious Angels fans...I go to Yankees Angels games now, and the majority leans towards the Angels..still plenty of Yankee fans, but it's noticeably different

of course, each side has their core of dedicated fans, but it always seems that the loudest most irritating ones know the least about the game of baseball or even their own team

bakersfield
03-14-2009, 08:39 AM
I am enjoying the WBC more than I expected to.
What is everyone elses take on it....?

ArcadeParade
03-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Anyone want in on an innagural keeper? pm me!!

humanoid
03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
I am enjoying the WBC more than I expected to.
What is everyone elses take on it....?

I really like the concept, I'm just not sure when the exact best time to hold it is...as much as I'd like to say how much of an honor it would be to play for one's country, personally I appreciate the history of MLB much more and the prospect of any elite players losing time due to an injury is what bothers me

I know, they could get hurt in spring training also, but I just feel the increased intensity of playing actual meaningful games when you'd be in only like the 2nd or 3rd week of spring training is quite the risk to take immediately before the season starts.

in 2006, I went to 4 of the games, and it was so much fun...

boarderwoozel3
03-14-2009, 03:42 PM

Bleh, don't remind me. I wanted to use your avatar... :(

bakersfield
03-15-2009, 08:36 AM
I really like the concept, I'm just not sure when the exact best time to hold it is...as much as I'd like to say how much of an honor it would be to play for one's country, personally I appreciate the history of MLB much more and the prospect of any elite players losing time due to an injury is what bothers me

I know, they could get hurt in spring training also, but I just feel the increased intensity of playing actual meaningful games when you'd be in only like the 2nd or 3rd week of spring training is quite the risk to take immediately before the season starts.

in 2006, I went to 4 of the games, and it was so much fun...

I totally agree with all you said....

Wow. USA got an ass kicking! Damn, that Puerto Rico team is solid.
I will be surprised if they do not win it all.

biggfoot17
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
LOL. Mark Grace said it best: "The Yankees have a lot of world series titles...let the diamondbacks have one."

:)

mark grace is my favoritre player man. he's one of the reason's i became a cubs fan. fuck, he is like the epitome of the classic baseball guy. he's one of the 3 people i would have dinner with if i were able to invite any 3 people to dinner, of all time.

bakersfield
03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
Gracie is hilarious. I enjoy listening to him on the AZ broadcasts.

Gribbz
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Gracie is hilarious. I enjoy listening to him on the AZ broadcasts.

Gassssssssssssss

biggfoot17
03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
fuck man! he belongs in the booth at wrigley. fucking diamondbacks. you don't even know what you have! haha

sportsbunny
03-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Manny out with a hamswtring - ugh! I hope that's not a sign of things to come this season.

buddy
03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
anybody watching the usa/puerto rico game?

youk up bases loaded bottom 9 down by 2

buddy
03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
5-4 now youk walked

buddy
03-17-2009, 08:03 PM
USA!

Gribbz
03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
U-S-A! U-S-A!-U-S-A!!!

bakersfield
03-17-2009, 11:50 PM
that was awesome!

humanoid
03-20-2009, 01:07 PM
it sucks that the US barely has enough players available to continue...

so many injuries this time around, I can't believe that they'll still keep the tournament right before the MLB season for the next one

If I was a major league team and I had a catcher that they wanted to play, there is no way I'd let him go....how can your entire pitching staff spend the bulk of spring training not throwing to the guy that will catch them all season long? especially if you have several new guys....like McCann from the Braves, has Derek Lowe, Javier Vasquez and Kawakami all new to the team, and they will barely have any time to get acquainted with the regular catcher....not a situation I'd like to start my team's season with

biggfoot17
03-20-2009, 08:49 PM
so true. i wasn't too pleased that geo soto was playing in it, but its not like the cubs pitching staff has changed a whole lot. plus this kid is young enough that he shouldn't tire out if given the right days off in the season.

this whole WBC business is just silly. there's no need for it and i don't think the majority of fans really give a shit

Sushov23
03-20-2009, 09:08 PM
it sucks that the US barely has enough players available to continue...

so many injuries this time around, I can't believe that they'll still keep the tournament right before the MLB season for the next one

If I was a major league team and I had a catcher that they wanted to play, there is no way I'd let him go....how can your entire pitching staff spend the bulk of spring training not throwing to the guy that will catch them all season long? especially if you have several new guys....like McCann from the Braves, has Derek Lowe, Javier Vasquez and Kawakami all new to the team, and they will barely have any time to get acquainted with the regular catcher....not a situation I'd like to start my team's season with

i'm a braves fan, and that is exactly how I feel. Such B.S.

boarderwoozel3
03-21-2009, 12:46 PM
The board yahoo league fantasy draft starts in 15 min, act accordingly!

humanoid
03-21-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm so damn sick right now, I totally was knocked out from my codeine at draft time....I hope my pre draft rankings worked out

biggfoot17
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
cubs drop 7 runs on the white sox in the first inning. takes me back to my second game at wrigley last year when they popped out 9 runs against the sox in one inning...

i can't wait for the season to start

TommyboyUNM
04-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm sitting here at home, on my lunch break, watching Cliff Lee get SHELLED by the Rangers. Way to build off that 2008 Cy Young season there, Lee!! Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come for Cleveland. Is it too early to panic?

paulb
04-06-2009, 11:59 AM
YANKEES ARE TAKING IT TODAY!!!! Cant wait to see how CC does!

Gribbz
04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Go diamondbacks.

Lowe looked great last night for Atlanta. I think Dodger fans will miss him more than they think.

buddy
04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
YANKEES ARE TAKING IT TODAY!!!! Cant wait to see how CC does!

not well

paulb
04-06-2009, 03:18 PM
ya....wtf eh? we'll see what happens...

dorkfish
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
ha cc...

4.1 innings pitched, 8 hits, 6 runs, 5 walks, 0 strikeouts, 12.46 ERA

Gribbz
04-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Webb got lit the fuck up too.

Arizona won though. God damn Homerun derby.

biggfoot17
04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
first at bat of the seaon...HR

thank you soriano

i'm so happy today is here

and that the cubs are up 3-0

seandlr
04-07-2009, 12:15 AM
i heard lowe kicked some ass the other night... wish he was still a dodger

seandlr
04-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Go diamondbacks.

Lowe looked great last night for Atlanta. I think Dodger fans will miss him more than they think.

wow, thats exatly what i just said

boarderwoozel3
04-07-2009, 12:18 AM
The season really takes off tomorrow. Once we see Lincecum pick up where he left off :D

seandlr
04-07-2009, 12:25 AM
im gonna be at the first dodger home game, and im hoping the gaints will start him to make it a game worth seeing rather than just another easy win ;)

paulb
04-07-2009, 12:44 AM
that was a pathetic Yankee game....lets hope Wang is back to his old form.

Cheddar's Cousin
04-07-2009, 06:47 AM
GO DODGERS!

humanoid
04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
that was a pathetic Yankee game....lets hope Wang is back to his old form.

Wang is going to thrive this year with everyone focusing on the new, expensive additions

CC and Teixeira both had debuts that they wish they could do over...thankfully the season continues beyond opening day

at least Jeter had 3 hits, while Posada and Hideki hit bombs...bring on tomorrow

paulb
04-07-2009, 09:20 AM
it was nice to see Matsui hit that homer....Teixeira really blew it in really key at bats during the game....lots of guys left on base thanks to him....

bakersfield
04-07-2009, 09:48 AM
1 down...161 to go!

bakersfield
04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
i heard lowe kicked some ass the other night... wish he was still a dodger

Lowe was lights out!

boarderwoozel3
04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Oh those Yanks, $340+ million spent in the off-season 0-1. Lulz.

boarderwoozel3
04-07-2009, 09:52 AM
im gonna be at the first dodger home game, and im hoping the gaints will start him to make it a game worth seeing rather than just another easy win ;)
Oh hell 'naw!

Gribbz
04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Two homers by clark in one game, two by lopez in one game. Good start offensively. Webb had a hard time though...

TomAz
04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Webb, Sabathia, and Lee all got shelled on opening day. They'll be fine. Hitters are ahead of pitchers at this point anyway.

Gribbz
04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Webb, Sabathia, and Lee all got shelled on opening day. They'll be fine. Hitters are ahead of pitchers at this point anyway.

Yeah, Webb is the least of my concerns. Hopefully Young and Reynolds won't break any strike out records this year...

boarderwoozel3
04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Woah, Jeff Suppan is now Milwaukee's number one starter. Bummer for them.

buddy
04-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Lincecum needs a haircut

faxman75
04-07-2009, 03:27 PM
White Sox win! Thank you Jim Thome.

biggfoot17
04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
white sox suck. that's all

humanoid
04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh those Yanks, $340+ million spent in the off-season 0-1. Lulz.

they're bound to lose a few, no matter the amount spent....