PDA

View Full Version : Portishead Plan 4th - But No Touring

iv3rdawG
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
From The BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20080708_portishead.shtml):

Portishead plan '4th'
The band will be recording another album but bow out of touring
08 July 2008 - Contrary to reports that April's ten years in the making album Third would be their last release, Portishead have revealed they will record another album together.

Guitarist Adrian Utley has also exclusively told 6 Music why the band are not going to be playing in the future.

"We are thinking a new album," he said. "That’s partly why we’re not touring enormously, because in 1998 we toured for a year and a bit and it just crashed us. None of us wanted to see each other for a while after that."

New album progress

However, another extensive gap between releases is not on the cards, as Utley revealed work on their next record has already begun.

"We got together the other night discussing stuff and getting a bit of a plan together," he explained.

He then told 6 Music that while they have got songs written already, they probably won't make the final cut: "I mean we have got stuff, but we'll start again - that's what we want to do."

No more touring

The Bristol trio’s last tour was a fairly short jaunt but Utley explained that they have family now, as well as different projects on the go which they want to work on: "We’re all gonna be doing stuff. We’ve finished our touring for this album for this year because of things that we want to do."

Utley was speaking to us at Glastonbury but as to why they did not play the festival, he explained: "We slightly discussed it and then we had a date that we were going to stop playing and that was before this so that’s that really. It’s unfortunate really as it would have been good fun but we’re not."

For now, family is a priority for the band members, as Utley went on to explain: "To be at home with our children, very young children. I mean really, just babies - it is an important time and I don’t want to miss that."

Utley finally told us about one 6 Music related project - their future appearance on our very own Stuart Maconie’s show, saying: "Jeff and I are gonna be coming on the Freak Zone, and we’re gonna do various things and play stuff. But we’ve got plans for doing a new record now."

amyzzz
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Ok, who let Portishead have children, damnit?

marooko
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Sweeeeeeeeet!!

frozen pilgrim
07-10-2008, 05:21 PM
4th?

droolgasm

suprefan
07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Ok 4th, cool, no more touring probably for 3 years = not cool. I doubt they even bother coming to the U.S. if and when this next album comes out.

Sushov23
07-10-2008, 05:34 PM
I think you might be right supre, or maybe a one off like Coachella. Who knows Bonnaroo might try to get some edge and book Portishead for next year. I only say Bonnaroo, because I think if Portishead plays in the U.S anytime in the next year and a half it would have to be a festival.

BlackSwan
07-10-2008, 05:36 PM
it's great that they are going to make another album, but it is lame when artists make great music and then don't tour.

Boourns
07-10-2008, 05:39 PM
So we got 60 minutes of live Portishead and that's it for all eternity? Yay.

Donaldj
07-10-2008, 05:40 PM
So we got 60 minutes of live Portishead and that's it for all eternity? Yay.

Yea, it makes the Coachella performance even more special.

amyzzz
07-10-2008, 05:40 PM
They toured all over Europe and shit, and we get one lousy date for our entire country (or continent even)?

But a new album is good. Great, even. At least I don't have to worry about budgeting for a Portishead date. :/

BlackSwan
07-10-2008, 05:48 PM
PORTISHEAD HATE AMERICA

HunterGather
07-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Good riddance

Cdubby
07-10-2008, 06:00 PM
well shit, happy sad

suprefan
07-10-2008, 06:02 PM
PORTISHEAD HATE AMERICA

Its apparent...

Now we must break into the GV video vault and steal the footage of the coachella performance...

MarkO
07-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Damn. No more touring is not good. I guess I'm luckier than most then to have seen them when I did.

mountmccabe
07-10-2008, 06:12 PM
They toured all over Europe and shit, and we get one lousy date for our entire country (or continent even)?

It was not a lousy date.

paulb
07-10-2008, 06:19 PM
well, twas a great show though...

shakermaker113
07-10-2008, 06:22 PM
are they saying no more touring ever, or no more touring until they've got this next record done? it's not clear at all.

and FUCK. I was really hoping they'd do a few more dates next year.

bballarl
07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I doubt this means they will never play shows again.

Boourns
07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
The next will be Coachella 2018.

Sushov23
07-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Portishead= BEST SET FROM SATURDAY THIS YEAR.

sbessiso
07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
one of the most intense hours of my life, they destroyed my soul, thankfully Prince repaired us all

woogie846
07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Portishead at Coachella was mindblowing, I was in a trance.

Sushov23
07-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Portishead at Coachella was mindblowing, I was in a trance.

I know exactly what you mean.

betao
07-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Yea, it makes the Coachella performance even more special.

I thought the exact same thing after I read that interview.

captncrzy
07-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Geez, have a cow. All it says is that they're done touring for this album. And that they want to be home with their kids. It doesn't say they're never touring again.

Sushov23
07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I hope they tour again, because if they don't I will be sad. I'm sure a lot of you will be as well.

bballarl
07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Geez, have a cow. All it says is that they're done touring for this album. And that they want to be home with their kids. It doesn't say they're never touring again.

Exactly. They had said this before the interview.

betao
07-10-2008, 08:52 PM

Exactly. They had said this before the interview.

I think people are freaking out because it means that now we may have to wait 7+ years to see them again haha.

menikmati
07-10-2008, 08:55 PM
I saw Sasha & Digweed instead. Silly me.

Blinken
07-10-2008, 09:38 PM
I think people are freaking out because it means that now we may have to wait 7+ years to see them again haha.

Yeah but we already knew that they probably wouldn't be back in the states for awhile.

I saw Sasha & Digweed instead. Silly me.

Wow, Erik that is pure fail. I admit to not knowing who Portishead was before the lineup, and was one of the complainers early on. but people on this board helped to change my mind. I am so glad I gave them a couple chances to grow on me. It was the best show I have ever seen.

menikmati
07-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I love Portishead, I think they're great...but eh, I was in the mood to dance after having just seen Kraftwerk, and I really wanted to see S&D, and I didn't feel like fighting the Prince crowd. Oh well, that's what bootlegs are for.

Boourns
07-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Set of the year.

menikmati
07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Plus I got to hear em sound check for an hour that morning. Then I watched Kraftwerk sound check after that, that was pretty cool.

rage patton
07-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Prince was awesome... but I wish there was someway Portishead got at least an extra 15 minutes this year. At least.

Boourns
07-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Totally. If the main stage had started 15-30 minutes earlier that day...

superfiction
07-11-2008, 02:45 AM
Plus I got to hear em sound check for an hour that morning. Then I watched Kraftwerk sound check after that, that was pretty cool.

hear? or hear and SEE?

betao
07-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Prince was awesome... but I wish there was someway Portishead got at least an extra 15 minutes this year. At least.

seriously... then maybe, JUST MAYBE...

we would have have been able to hear Strangers.

suprefan
07-11-2008, 07:32 AM
hear? or hear and SEE?

I am going with see and hear.

SFChrissy
07-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Embrace the anticipation damn it...

amyzzz
07-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I was hoping they'd tour in '09. Oh well. Maybe I should just save a little money every paycheck until they tour so when they FINALLY tour, I will have enough money to see them overseas if I have to.

shakermaker113
07-11-2008, 09:09 AM
I still think it's vague, and I wouldn't be surprised if down the line they decide they never want to play live again.

amyzzz
07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I guess I should be happy I saw them...twice.

HunterGather
07-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I totally understand the fact that they have families and aren't too into the idea of touring in general...
BUT

They need to get over themselves and do the damn thing.
Even a mini tour for this album in north america would have at least been acceptable.

But this is just the frustrated person in me who missed coachella 08 talking.

But yeah, they should have done after coachella...

(disregarding the other european dates that followed coach)

L.A.
San Fran
Seattle
Vancouver
Morisson (Red Rocks)
Chicago
Montreal
Toronto
New York (2 to 3 nights)
D.C.
Atlanta
some Florida city
some Texas City (but i think those last 2 and Vancouver are really pushing it) :D

(yeah, basically i just redid daft punks 07 tour)

menikmati
07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
hear? or hear and SEE?

For Kraftwerk, I sat on the lawn in the morning in front of the stage and watched AND listened to Kraftwerk soundcheck.

crazzz2007
07-12-2008, 02:01 AM
obviously portishead is waiting for bush to be out of office before they tour the US.

let's pray mccain loses.

superfiction
07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
I totally understand the fact that they have families and aren't too into the idea of touring in general...
BUT

They need to get over themselves and do the damn thing.
Even a mini tour for this album in north america would have at least been acceptable.

But this is just the frustrated person in me who missed coachella 08 talking.

But yeah, they should have done after coachella...

(disregarding the other european dates that followed coach)

L.A.
San Fran
Seattle
Vancouver
Morisson (Red Rocks)
Chicago
Montreal
Toronto
New York (2 to 3 nights)
D.C.
Atlanta
some Florida city
some Texas City (but i think those last 2 and Vancouver are really pushing it) :D

(yeah, basically i just redid daft punks 07 tour)

yeah i would have liked to seen them tour but i think it most likely would have been something even smaller.

L.A.
Seattle
Chicago
Toronto
New York

i only put seattle cuz i live there. but i think it would be a stretch to think they would have done more than 5 stateside dates if there had been a tour at all.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
07-12-2008, 11:22 AM
yeah i would have liked to seen them tour but i think it most likely would have been something even smaller.

L.A.
Seattle
Chicago
Toronto
New York

i only put seattle cuz i live there. but i think it would be a stretch to think they would have done more than 5 stateside dates if there had been a tour at all.

way to kill my Red Rocks dream....:nono

HunterGather
07-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Red Rocks instead of Chicago FTW :)

shakermaker113
07-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I still think a 2009 US tour with massive attack would be unbeatable.

Somewhat Damaged
07-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I still think a 2009 US tour with massive attack would be unbeatable.

I like the way you think.

HunterGather
07-13-2008, 07:26 PM
I think my head would explode if that happened.
Add in maybe a doep DJ to play between the sets (can't think of anyone fitting off hand), and you have yourself one gloomy evening! (in a good way!)

Boourns
07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
That would be the best tour ever.

betao
07-13-2008, 09:35 PM
I think my head would explode if that happened.
Add in maybe a doep DJ to play between the sets (can't think of anyone fitting off hand), and you have yourself one gloomy evening! (in a good way!)

Burial's debut live appearance playing between Portishead and Massive Attack.

i'd die.

orbit
07-13-2008, 09:42 PM
burial is a producer, not a dj nor a live performer.

people should stop requesting him.

betao
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
what makes you think he'd be so terrible live, omar?

HunterGather
07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Who is this Burial?
Should I care? Recommend away!

betao
07-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Who is this Burial?
Should I care? Recommend away!

dubstep producer who is currently gaining momentum. Check his CD called "Untrue" - it is fantastic. If you're interested, i'll upload it for you.

whynotsmile99
07-13-2008, 09:51 PM
dubstep producer who is currently gaining momentum. Check his CD called "Untrue" - it is fantastic. If you're interested, i'll upload it for you.

i'm interested. thanks

HunterGather
07-13-2008, 10:00 PM
yes plz. linky here or PM to me and whynotsmile :)

orbit
07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
radiohead put burial music before they go on stage on their shows.

betao
07-13-2008, 10:04 PM
radiohead put burial music before they go on stage on their shows.

yeah they were indeed doing that at the Bristow show. It was awesome.

orbit
07-13-2008, 10:05 PM
what makes you think he'd be so terrible live, omar?

by his own admission, he can't dj.

so perhaps people should start requesting a kode9's set of burial tunes. he's done it already.

shakermaker113
07-13-2008, 10:21 PM

me too please!

betao
07-13-2008, 10:29 PM
i'm interested. thanks

me too please!

Sent. check your PMs

HunterGather
07-13-2008, 11:15 PM
thx! I'll give it a go

humanoid
07-14-2008, 10:13 AM
considering that I never thought I'd ever get a chance to see Portishead, everyone sounds really spoiled for whining about them not touring again for this record...they never were a touring juggernaut of a band

betao
07-14-2008, 10:36 AM
considering that I never thought I'd ever get a chance to see Portishead, everyone sounds really spoiled for whining about them not touring again for this record...they never were a touring juggernaut of a band

I wouldnt say "spoiled" is the right word. We're all just a bit disappointed.

This news makes seeing them at coachella even more special. First and only US show in what, 10 years?

who knows when (or even if) they'll come back to the states.

humanoid
07-14-2008, 11:24 AM
I wouldnt say "spoiled" is the right word. We're all just a bit disappointed.

This news makes seeing them at coachella even more special. First and only US show in what, 10 years?

who knows when (or even if) they'll come back to the states.

I doubt they will. I said spoiled, because of the whiny tone many were using when venting their frustration and disappointment. I for one, feel very grateful that I was able to finally see Portishead after being a fan since 1995. It felt like a wonderful dream after such a wait for something that seemed like it may never occur.

amyzzz
07-14-2008, 11:45 AM
I feel if you put out new music, ya gotta tour. Maybe that's just me.

shakermaker113
07-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I feel if you put out new music, ya gotta tour. Maybe that's just me.

I must admit it's nice to see bands break the mould of "release album, tour for a year, disappear for a year, repeat". I have a lot of respect for people who can say they wanna do it differently.

I just wish Portishead... oh whatever. I don't need to say it again.

orbit
07-14-2008, 09:11 PM
portishead should be back next year.

a 1 hour 45 min set.

rage patton
07-15-2008, 02:06 AM
I would not be surprised if they bring Portishead back next year. We all wish they had a longer set time, and even THEY said they wished they had a longer set.

Backwater
07-15-2008, 02:18 AM
The band themselves said that?! I'm sorry but set times are one area that Bonnaroo has Coachella beaten severely. I didn't hear MMJ or Pearl Jam complain about not having long enough sets.

betao
07-15-2008, 07:03 AM
The band themselves said that?! I'm sorry but set times are one area that Bonnaroo has Coachella beaten severely. I didn't hear MMJ or Pearl Jam complain about not having long enough sets.

coachella has something called a noise curfew.

and Portishead will not be back next year. If it was for the possibility, then they'd have to headline. Otherwise, it'd be the same hour again.

but fuck it'd be awesome if they were.

HunterGather
07-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Not to bring up possibilities of where they could have/should have done shows in the U.S. this year, I still am shocked that they didn't do a NY show at the very least.
Even a gig at All Points West would have been acceptable!

But what can you do?
Play the waiting game...which sucks ass hole.

superfiction
07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
coachella has something called a noise curfew.

and Portishead will not be back next year. If it was for the possibility, then they'd have to headline. Otherwise, it'd be the same hour again.

but fuck it'd be awesome if they were.

they should have fucking headlined to begin with. fuck jack johnson. put prince on friday. not saturday. that shit was fucking retarded

humanoid
07-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Not to bring up possibilities of where they could have/should have done shows in the U.S. this year, I still am shocked that they didn't do a NY show at the very least.
Even a gig at All Points West would have been acceptable!

But what can you do?
Play the waiting game...which sucks ass hole.

a third of my life was a waiting game to see Portishead live!

betao
07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
they should have fucking headlined to begin with. fuck jack johnson. put prince on friday. not saturday. that shit was fucking retarded

I would have loved to have Prince and Portishead headline, but it would have sucked having one of them against Fatboy Slim.

crazzz2007
07-21-2008, 08:50 PM
portishead should be back next year.

a 1 hour 45 min set.

I would not be surprised if they bring Portishead back next year. We all wish they had a longer set time, and even THEY said they wished they had a longer set.

i still can't believe GV gave them only an hour. i mean, seriously.....their one and only US appearance in 10 fuking years, and they give them an hour? this has to be one of the worst decisions ever. what the fuck was GV thinking? what a boneheaded move. i could go on and on about this. someone at GV needs to be slapped across the head repeatedly until they fuking cry and beg for forgiveness.

crazzz2007
07-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I would have loved to have Prince and Portishead headline, but it would have sucked having one of them against Fatboy Slim.

fatboy slim is irrelevant.

Boourns
07-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Fatboy Slim sucked. Portishead would have been perfect headlining Friday.

Sushov23
07-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Fatboy Slim sucked. Portishead would have been perfect headlining Friday.

I've been saying that Fatboy Slim sucked on friday, that shit was garbage. It started out strong, but got more dull as it went on. Portishead should have been given an hour and a half. Fuck that Prince noise, it was all about Portishead on saturday. I say bring back Portishead, and give them a full set time, not 1 hour. Thank you that is all.

MarkO
07-21-2008, 09:01 PM
I guess I should be happy I saw them...twice.

Just this once .... I'll gloat by saying I saw them 3 times.

- Maybe 15 rows back at Coachella.
- 3rd from the barrier at Primavera night1 ... I got to shake Beths hand during her walkabout !
- I sat beside the sounddesk for Primavera night2 .... such a wonderful show.

Boourns
07-21-2008, 09:03 PM
I've been saying that Fatboy Slim sucked on friday, that shit was garbage. It started out strong, but got more dull as it went on. Portishead should have been given an hour and a half. Fuck that Prince noise, it was all about Portishead on saturday. I say bring back Portishead, and give them a full set time, not 1 hour. Thank you that is all.

Yeah, the first main stage act didn't even start until 1:35. If VHS or Beta started at 1:20, that would've left an extra 15 minutes for Portishead.

Sushov23
07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah, the first main stage act didn't even start until 1:35. If VHS or Beta started at 1:20, that would've left an extra 15 minutes for Portishead.

VHS or beta should have started at 1:05, and then you have 30 extra minutes for the awesomeness, and life changing music of Portishead.
SO GV you fail for that shit. give us PORTISHEAD next year, and do it right.

Sushov23
07-22-2008, 12:50 AM
the Portishead live at Roseland DVD is only 12 bucks on amazon right now. I'm about to pick that up.

Boourns
07-22-2008, 02:01 AM
When it comes to DVD, best $12 one can spend.

betao
07-22-2008, 07:18 AM
haha people always find a reason to complain about portishead with coachella.

first its "wtf why arent they there this year?"
then its "why are they billed so high? they should be a subheadliner!"
now its "only an hour?! thats bullshit! more time!"

i just think its really funny.

but I agree, they should have had 1 hr 15 minutes at the least.