PDA

View Full Version : BB getting into the vinyl game!?

ghettojournalist
07-10-2008, 01:48 AM
can't believe this wasn't posted on here yet.

http://www.startribune.com/business/22846884.html?location_refer=Business

Nearly killed off a decade ago by compact discs and digital music downloads, the mighty vinyl record is fighting its way back onto turntables across America.

Toe-tappers snapped up nearly 1 million records last year, a 15 percent increase and the highest level in three years, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Though the LP never lost its luster to many audiophiles and the handful of independent music stores that kept healthy numbers of them in stock, mainstream retailers now are getting into the act.

The most recent is Richfield-based Best Buy Co. Inc., which is launching a pilot project at an undisclosed number of stores.

"We've got an executive here who's basically responding to his own children and is sponsoring a test to see if there's a market," said Best Buy CEO Brad Anderson, 59, with a big belly laugh, adding, "As an old vinyl collector, this is close to my heart."

Best Buy, the nation's largest consumer electronics retailer, is predictably tight-lipped about the test, to avoid artificially tipping the scales.

But even if the retailer ends up rolling out record sales nationwide, as competitor Circuit City Stores Inc. did years ago, no one expects vinyl to drive Best Buy's earnings.

For veteran album collectors such as Scott Johnson, who recently picked up a fresh stack at Arc's Valu Village Thrift Store in Richfield, the long-playing record's rise from throwback to comeback is a welcome sign.

"Music sounds great on vinyl if you get a nice, decent copy," said Johnson of Prior Lake, who said he is in his mid-40s. "You get a warm sound. You get the liner notes, cool artwork. ... It's more fun."

so yeah, I'm looking forward to how this pans out.

microcuts
07-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah I saw the Radiohead best of 4-vinyl set at Best Buy the other day ago. Almost got it. But it was $59.99. No thanks. NIN's Ghosts 4-vinyl set was less than $20, through Best Buy. No idea why the Radiohead one is so overpriced.

algunz
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
They have to make their money some how.

Boourns
07-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Capitol/EMI overprices the hell out of their vinyl. Always.

amyzzz
07-10-2008, 12:11 PM
You couldn't have just typed out "Best Buy?" I had no idea what BB was. BB King? haha

menikmati
07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
That's what I thought too Amy.

Mr. Dylanja
07-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Me too, I would expect a more descriptive title from a journalist...

shakermaker113
07-10-2008, 01:00 PM
best buy is an awful place to buy music. I don't understand why people bother.

oh wait... maybe because tower closed down. and there's not another decent major chain.

I pity everybody who doesn't have a real record store nearby.

ghettojournalist
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
that's funny. it seems that every time I see Best Buy mentioned in this forum it ends up being abbreviated. where the B.B. King conclusion comes from is beyond me. I think B.B. King "Live From His Crib" was the first vinyl album pressed.

amyzzz
07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Best Buy is pretty much the only place (cheap place anyway) to buy music in Mesa. I can buy it used at the used bookstores, but Stinkweeds abandoned Mesa like 10 years ago or something. (mesa --> tempe --> phoenix-by-light-rail)

microcuts
07-10-2008, 04:40 PM
best buy is an awful place to buy music. I don't understand why people bother.

oh wait... maybe because tower closed down. and there's not another decent major chain.

I pity everybody who doesn't have a real record store nearby.

Tower was overpriced as all hell. People can say what they want about Best Buy's corporate blah blah, but it really stands as one of the cheapest places to get new music, and they usually have a great selection. There's plenty of internet stores for the stuff they don't carry.

bakersfield
07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Tower was overpriced as all hell. People can say what they want about Best Buy's corporate blah blah, but it really stands as one of the cheapest places to get new music, and they usually have a great selection. There's plenty of internet stores for the stuff they don't carry.

The BB by me has a surprising really good selection.

MarkO
07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I end up buying more stuff now at Target than anywhere else. Mediocre Buy and Circuit Shitty blow goats; they're only good for loss leader $9 new releases.

shakermaker113
07-10-2008, 05:28 PM
hmm. odd. all my experiences trying to buy at best buy have either resulted in (a) not having what I want, or (b) being some godawful price. maybe it's a coincidence.

Tower was overpriced as all hell.

tower was overpriced, but at least it was a record store. it had a selection. its main purpose was music, not electronics. I avoided tower all I could, but I still shopped there far more than I have ever shopped at best buy.

I end up buying more stuff now at Target than anywhere else. Mediocre Buy and Circuit Shitty blow goats; they're only good for loss leader $9 new releases.

target is cheap. I can understand buying there more than best buy.

Boourns
07-10-2008, 06:15 PM
I got Sigur Ros - () on vinyl for under $20 back in the day. Good times.

woogie846
07-10-2008, 06:58 PM
You couldn't have just typed out "Best Buy?" I had no idea what BB was. BB King? haha

I thought he meant Barbara Bush.