PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with Traveling

WastedTime
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
---

Wheres the beef?
07-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Dude you have to respect that cloth badge they wear. Sorry, but the cloth badge is the first and final word on your traveling fate.

algunz
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Where did you have them?

RotationSlimWang
07-08-2008, 11:05 PM
Seriously, Wasted, what kind of retardedness are you doing to get them thrown out? Are they in a fucking prescription bottle with your name on it, 'cause if they were there's no goddamn way they'd throw them out. And if they're not, well, what kind of asshole are you to NOT get a prescription bottle with your name on it after the FIRST fucking time?

Courtney
07-08-2008, 11:08 PM
As far as I know, you have the right to carry prescribed, clearly-labeled medications on flights. Did you try refusing to give the pills up, and asking to speak to a supervisor? Did you take down names to file a report/complaint?

I agree that flying is pretty dreadful these days. Recently I have been only flying United, even though they suck, just because I have enough frequent flyer miles that I can request an upgrade to business or first.

bakersfield
07-08-2008, 11:24 PM
I am flying US Airways later in the month to Idaho & then a week later to Newark. I hear they charge now for the FIRST bag you check in....that is FUCKING NUTS!!

Courtney
07-08-2008, 11:27 PM
That charging for the first bag thing is almost enough to motivate me to get my shit organized and FedEx my luggage ahead of time. It seems like my bags are delayed/lost about one out of every ten times I check luggage anyway.

bakersfield
07-08-2008, 11:33 PM
That charging for the first bag thing is almost enough to motivate me to get my shit organized and FedEx my luggage ahead of time. It seems like my bags are delayed/lost about one out of every ten times I check luggage anyway.

I agree.
I used to fly every week in my old career. Don't know how I did it & certainly don't think I could do it in this new world of travel.

luckyface
07-08-2008, 11:37 PM
I am flying 4 straight weekends starting Thursday, then have a two week reprieve, and then will be flying like a motherfucker late August/early September. If I add it up, 16 flights by September 13. Just fucking nuts.

Courtney
07-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Rocke, I hope you are part of a airline loyalty program with good perks. And I am sorry, I hope you have lots of earplugs and possibly sleeping pills.

Mr. Dylanja
07-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Don't they have those human jet-packs now?

luckyface
07-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Rocke, I hope you are part of a airline loyalty program with good perks. And I am sorry, I hope you have lots of earplugs and possibly sleeping pills.

A lot of the traveling will be for a good cause, so no worries. It is pretty daunting though.

A lot of the flights coming up are on Southwest, which is not the most fun experience. They are however offering the best fares and are not charging for extra bags. I should have a free roundtrip flight coming up here in a few weeks with them, so that is good. Other than that, not going to get much from the other two airlines, unfortunately.

Courtney
07-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Ohhh Southwest. Yeah, cheap fares and checking bags are definitely good things. And I get the impression Southwest is also quite good about being on-time, at least as much as is in their control. Although they lose major points for not having seat assignments.

Mr.Nipples
07-09-2008, 12:03 AM
PRJ99wuV1ng&hl=en&fs=1

captncrzy
07-09-2008, 05:36 AM
I am flying US Airways later in the month to Idaho & then a week later to Newark. I hear they charge now for the FIRST bag you check in....that is FUCKING NUTS!!

Yeah, we have to. Oil is costing the airline TWO BILLION DOLLARS more this year than last year. Our profit last year was $400 million. Do the math. If you can't, that's a 1.5 BILLION deficit to make up. Tons of people are losing their jobs, capacity is being reduced, and we have to start charging for things we never had to before. It's the way of the future. Unless things change with the oil prices and airlines change their business models, several airlines will be liquidating. You'll then be left with very few choices on who to fly on. Once that's the case, the remaining airlines will able to charge you whatever they want and for whatever they want.

captncrzy
07-09-2008, 05:37 AM
I have been doing quite a bit of flying lately, and it used to not bother me, but now I hate it. FUCKING HATE IT.

This has been the 4th time they threw away my prescribed meds.

Okay, so here is the deal... I have some anxiety troubles with work being extremely fucking demanding and trying to finish my masters, which would have been done this year if they hadn't change to mhs requirements at the last fucking second...

But being entangled in the medical world I have friends who can prescribe me meds at the click of a button, I worked my fucking ass off for that ability. I have prescriptions for valium, xanax, librium, and percocet. I don't need the percocet, but they are just nice to have, ;).

But what pissed me off is that I had filled ALL the prescriptions not 2 hours before... I had them RE-filled in LA after on my way down to LA from Seattle they tossed them there. So if I ask anyone of my friends again, they will think I am selling them or think I am addicted... Well I went through all of my Benzo scripts in less than a week last time so... eh whatever.

But still, Airport security has serious issues, and I felt like starting a thread about how much bullshit exists now days when traveling. Fucking insanity. It would be suicide for me to drive my fucking car. I have a feeling that I will be posting too myself inside of this thread.

That doesn't sound right. Check the TSA website, and file a complaint. Also, if you check those things in your bag rather than carry them on, they won't be confiscated.

captncrzy
07-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Ohhh Southwest. Yeah, cheap fares and checking bags are definitely good things. And I get the impression Southwest is also quite good about being on-time, at least as much as is in their control. Although they lose major points for not having seat assignments.

US Airways has better on time performance. In the top three in the last six months.

bug on your lip
07-09-2008, 05:47 AM
captn, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

JustSteve
07-09-2008, 07:22 AM
That doesn't sound right. Check the TSA website, and file a complaint. Also, if you check those things in your bag rather than carry them on, they won't be confiscated.

never check meds...what happens if they lose your bag? or a sticky fingered baggage checker/handler/tsa screener decides to partake?

i learned yesterday that since i am flying first class back to apw that checked bags are free..i also get to enter that holy ground of the american airlines admirals club while awaiting my departure. yay frivolous perks!

you want a free flight, people? sign up for an aadvantage credit card. all i had to do was spend $800 within 4 months and i got 25,000 miles, enough for a free coach ticket...fortunately i already had 40,000 miles, so that extra bump gave me the 45,000 i needed to fly first class for free. i checked the american airlines website and my ticket would have cost me over $2,600 cash.

shakermaker113
07-09-2008, 07:42 AM
I find it odd how much other people experience lost/delayed luggage. I've flown my fair share of flights, and only ever once had a delayed bag. that was when I had a connecting flight on a different airline. I've never had a bag lost. not sure how I've been so lucky.

you want a free flight, people? sign up for an aadvantage credit card. all i had to do was spend $800 within 4 months and i got 25,000 miles, enough for a free coach ticket...fortunately i already had 40,000 miles, so that extra bump gave me the 45,000 i needed to fly first class for free. i checked the american airlines website and my ticket would have cost me over $2,600 cash.

you'll pay for that flight with the $85/year fees for the rest of the time you have the card.

edit: ok I just did the math. that would take 30 years. but still, those fees are going to dig into the 'free' flight you just earned.

JustSteve
07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
it's free for the first year, so i will just cancel it when the year is up...problem solved!

luckyface
07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
US Airways has better on time performance. In the top three in the last six months.

US Airways is also dead last or next to last in customer satisfaction.

roberto73
07-09-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm flying to Ohio next week on Northwest. No baggage charge, but I'm sure they'll compensate in some other way.

Hannahrain
07-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Bug, have you ever been inside a Turkish prison?

roberto73
07-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Hannah, do you like movies about gladiators?

captncrzy
07-09-2008, 08:14 AM

no. I wouldn't consider the penises I've seen to be those of grown "men". Boys in men's bodies maybe.

captncrzy
07-09-2008, 08:15 AM
US Airways is also dead last or next to last in customer satisfaction.

Next to last, and the survey was taken last year after our system failure. Doesn't reflect the current state of the airline. Or the industry for that matter.

EDIT: while we're on the subject...if you're planning on flying to Coach next year, I strongly suggest you do whatever you can to find out what the dates are so you can go ahead and book your flights as soon as possible. Fares will only be going up, not down.

BROKENDOLL
07-09-2008, 08:20 AM
never check meds...what happens if they lose your bag? or a sticky fingered baggage checker/handler/tsa screener decides to partake?

i learned yesterday that since i am flying first class back to apw that checked bags are free..i also get to enter that holy ground of the american airlines admirals club while awaiting my departure. yay frivolous perks!

you want a free flight, people? sign up for an aadvantage credit card. all i had to do was spend $800 within 4 months and i got 25,000 miles, enough for a free coach ticket,fortunately i already had 40,000 miles, so that extra bump gave me the 45,000 i needed to fly first class for free. i checked the american airlines website and my ticket would have cost me over $2,600 cash. My first thought was what a great incentive! A free ticket to the Coachella Festival! (Give me a break. I just woke up, dammit!)

bakersfield
07-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah, we have to. Oil is costing the airline TWO BILLION DOLLARS more this year than last year. Our profit last year was $400 million. Do the math. If you can't, that's a 1.5 BILLION deficit to make up. Tons of people are losing their jobs, capacity is being reduced, and we have to start charging for things we never had to before. It's the way of the future. Unless things change with the oil prices and airlines change their business models, several airlines will be liquidating. You'll then be left with very few choices on who to fly on. Once that's the case, the remaining airlines will able to charge you whatever they want and for whatever they want.

I know that it is just a product of the mess we are in economy wise....
I used to fly both AWA & Southwest ALL the time! I was Elite with AWA for 3 years straight (using the last of my FF miles to fly the family & I to the east coast at the end of the month). And I had a companion pass for 3 years at Southwest. It was enough of a pain in the ass back then to fly. I can only imagine what those weekly road warriors have to go through now.
And it will only get worse.....

shakermaker113
07-09-2008, 09:07 AM
it's free for the first year, so i will just cancel it when the year is up...problem solved!

cunning. I wonder if they prevent you from re-signing up. also, I wonder how many people say that and never cancel the card.

TomAz
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Seriously, Wasted, what kind of retardedness are you doing to get them thrown out? Are they in a fucking prescription bottle with your name on it, 'cause if they were there's no goddamn way they'd throw them out. And if they're not, well, what kind of asshole are you to NOT get a prescription bottle with your name on it after the FIRST fucking time?

exactly

the European and Asian discount airlines have been doing this for a while now. I flew EasyJet last summer and it was like $10 per bag if you told them when you made the reservation, and $25 per bag if you just showed up with it.

There are companies that will do this for you.

Courtney
07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
the European and Asian discount airlines have been doing this for a while now. I flew EasyJet last summer and it was like $10 per bag if you told them when you made the reservation, and $25 per bag if you just showed up with it.

The difference being that EasyJet (sometimes) charges as little as $30 or thereabouts per flight. You'll be hard-pressed to find deals like that on the major US airlines.

picks up chair
07-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Pretty soon "First Class" will just mean your don't have to help peddle.

Young blood
07-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I just hop in my jet and goes wheres i please.

full on idle
07-09-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm flying to Ohio next week on Northwest. No baggage charge, but I'm sure they'll compensate in some other way.

Last time I flew Northwest there was NO MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just hop in my jet and goes wheres i please.

Your carbon footprint is embarrassing.

Courtney
07-09-2008, 09:42 AM

Outrageous.

Did you ask the flight attendants to reenact key scenes from a selection of six month-old second-rate blockbusters, as compensation?

Young blood
07-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Im filthy rich with carbon credits. I could slash and burn 1000s of acres of rain forest and still be okay.

IM CARBON CREDIT RICCCCHHHH!

full on idle
07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Outrageous.

Did you ask the flight attendants to reenact key scenes from a selection of six month-old second-rate blockbusters, as compensation?

I do not ask flight attendants for anything. They are psychotic inside; you can see it in their eyes. I don't want to be responsible for unleashing any demons, so I keep my head low.

Southwest flight attendants are psychotic inside in a happy crazy way though, which is amusing to the traveler. I'm sure it's part of their corporate culture training to be sarcastic and silly but I like it.

bakersfield
07-09-2008, 10:01 AM

Funny you should mention that...this just in...

US Airways to cut flight movies
Jul. 8, 2008
Bloomberg News
US Airways will remove in-flight movies from domestic flights to save about $10 million a year in fuel and other costs.

The carrier decided to pull the entertainment systems because the number of people paying $5 for headsets has dropped as money spent on jet fuel, maintenance and studio fees has climbed. Also the video systems add about 500 pounds to a plane's weight, increasing fuel use.

"We simply can't afford to do it anymore," Travis Christ, US Airways vice president for sales and marketing, said Tuesday.

The systems will be turned off Nov. 1 and removed from the Airbus SAS A320-family aircraft as the planes undergo other maintenance, the Tempe-based carrier said. The aircraft are used to fly in the U.S. and to Mexico and the Caribbean. Movies are shown only on flights of at least 2 1/2 hours.

amyzzz
07-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm wondering when it will get the the point where they weigh your luggage and tighten up weight restrictions.

Also, I agree about the crazy Southwest flight attendants. The male attendant on our flight made really silly, amusing gestures while he was demonstrating the life preservers thingie.

full on idle
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
When they finish up their spiel about the oxygen masks and whatnot, they go "So, thanks to those of you that paid attention, and to those who didn't we wish you luck."

I laugh every time.

I think I posted this before but I'm having memory problems.

algunz
07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
I just booked our tickets to New York City for Halloween on Jet Blue. (I'm sooooo excited.)

What are their restrictions for baggage?

captncrzy
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM

Jul. 8, 2008
Bloomberg News
US Airways will remove in-flight movies from domestic flights to save about $10 million a year in fuel and other costs.

The carrier decided to pull the entertainment systems because the number of people paying $5 for headsets has dropped as money spent on jet fuel, maintenance and studio fees has climbed. Also the video systems add about 500 pounds to a plane's weight, increasing fuel use.

"We simply can't afford to do it anymore," Travis Christ, US Airways vice president for sales and marketing, said Tuesday.

The systems will be turned off Nov. 1 and removed from the Airbus SAS A320-family aircraft as the planes undergo other maintenance, the Tempe-based carrier said. The aircraft are used to fly in the U.S. and to Mexico and the Caribbean. Movies are shown only on flights of at least 2 1/2 hours.

Yeah, that announcement was made to the media this morning next door to the conference room that I'm in right now. It look like we'lll still have movies on the on transcontinental flights because we use different planes than the A320s for flights to Hawaii and Europe. The movies are usually kinda stupid anyway. One time I was forced to watch Hairspray on the way out to Charlotte and on the way back. It was horrifying.

captncrzy
07-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I just booked our tickets to New York City for Halloween on Jet Blue. (I'm sooooo excited.)

What are their restrictions for baggage?

I don't know of any Jet Blue restrictions. Just check before your flight-things will probably have changed quite a bit by then. If they're still in business.

chairmenmeow47
07-09-2008, 10:39 AM
southwest flight attendents rule. one time during takeoff they started sliding down peanuts from the front of the cabin all the way down the aisles.

and wasted, have you heard of a crotch? that's a great place to stuff drugs when traveling. i generally get some percocets or whatever it is my roommate has and crotch that for the flight. i have a fear of flying and they help relax me on the plane. so maybe it's easier for me to crotch cause i only bring a couple, but dude, give it a shot :)

algunz
07-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Oh, don't jinx me captn.

amyzzz
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
No shit. I'm flying Jet Blue to APW in August.

shakermaker113
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
The carrier decided to pull the entertainment systems because the number of people paying $5 for headsets has dropped as money spent on jet fuel, maintenance and studio fees has climbed.

people actually paid $5 for headsets?

Young blood
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Sometimes I wish that my life wasnt so awesome so I could relate to, and hang with the common schleps, that eat peanuts and drink shitty scotch shooters in coach.

mountmccabe
07-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Last time I flew outta Phoenix I drank a shitty Scotch shooter in coach.

And I barely paid attention to the movie shown each way because they weren't anywhere near enticing enough to get me to pay for headphones. I did play with using my own headphones but whole one channel sound thing was more annoying than it was worth. Plus the movies were more annoying with sound.

captncrzy
07-09-2008, 12:11 PM
southwest flight attendents rule. one time during takeoff they started sliding down peanuts from the front of the cabin all the way down the aisles.

Haha. I'm pretty sure that's illegal though. Of course, they used to let pilots deadhead in the bathroom too...so no suprise.

Oh, don't jinx me captn.

Sorry.

No shit. I'm flying Jet Blue to APW in August.

Sorry.

people actually paid $5 for headsets?

Yeah.

roberto73
07-09-2008, 12:40 PM

'Tis okay. I'll have my laptop and be busy catching up on episodes of The Wire.

full on idle
07-09-2008, 12:45 PM
That's what I did no JOKE!!!

You have to be careful though because it's a bit uncomfortable when you're sitting next to strangers who can clearly see the screen and all of a sudden the screen is filled up with Omar's beautiful nakedness.

roberto73
07-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I just finished Season 3. Plenty of Lt. Daniels nakedness in that one. Oh, and the lesbianic Kima tryst that McNulty covered up for.

I feel bad that I recommended this show to my parents.

full on idle
07-09-2008, 12:48 PM
HAHAHA I wouldn't show my mother the Wire.

Yablo has a mancrush on Lt. Daniels.

roberto73
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I actually think they'd like it. They watched all of Deadwood, but every conversation we had about it began with my mom saying, "There sure is a lot of cussing in that show."

Yablo's mancrush is easy to understand. Seeing Daniels in the buff made me want to work out more and unleash my inner hunky black man.

full on idle
07-09-2008, 12:58 PM
He's a little too taut for me, I prefer Omar.

locachica73
07-09-2008, 01:01 PM
hmmm I have never seen the wire but after reading these reviews I am going to have to check to see if it is on netflix.

Courtney
07-09-2008, 05:45 PM

Jul. 8, 2008
Bloomberg News

That blows. Bad movies are often what get me through long flights.

Do any US Air flights give/rent out those little hand-held entertainment systems? Those rule. Especially because then you can decide what you want to watch from a selection of different movies and tv shows. Although admittedly the selections are generally still lame.

luckyface
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
If you don't want to lug around your laptop, a $75-$100 investment in a portable DVD player is an absolute lifesaver. Then it won't matter that you are not treated to an edited and most likely terrible movie on the plane.

captncrzy
07-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Do any US Air flights give/rent out those little hand-held entertainment systems? Those rule.

Not yet.

Yablonowitz
07-09-2008, 07:59 PM
He's a little too taut for me, I prefer Omar.

He is EXTREMELY FUCKING TAUT. Oh lord, I gotta shake one off...brb.

TomAz
07-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Do any US Air flights give/rent out those little hand-held entertainment systems? Those rule. Especially because then you can decide what you want to watch from a selection of different movies and tv shows. Although admittedly the selections are generally still lame.

this is why god created ipod video.

full on idle
07-09-2008, 09:07 PM
or books!

menikmati
07-09-2008, 09:10 PM
yay books

Courtney
07-09-2008, 09:10 PM
this is why god created ipod video.

I have an ipod video. The screen is too small!

And I do not know of these book things of which you speak.

menikmati
07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
i need to catch up on summer reading

Courtney
07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
There was a point in my life when I used to get so excited for summers because bookstores would bring out the "summer reading" tables in their stores which was all the classics and stuff and then I would just work my way through everything I hadn't already read, from Austen to Zola.

I miss liking books that much.

full on idle
07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Courtney remember that short story "The Yellow Wallpaper"?

shakermaker113
07-10-2008, 09:03 AM
ipod video > in flight movies.

also, books are not a substitute for a movie.

TomAz
07-10-2008, 09:05 AM
There was a point in my life when I used to get so excited for summers because bookstores would bring out the "summer reading" tables in their stores which was all the classics and stuff and then I would just work my way through everything I hadn't already read, from Austen to Zola.

I miss liking books that much.

Jane Austen can sour anyone on books.

amyzzz
07-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I love Jane Austen, so stfu Tom.

TomAz
07-10-2008, 09:24 AM
The first requirement for loving Jane Austen would be not having testicles.

The second requirement is having an overdeveloped sense of romantic melodrama.

The third requirement is having a very high tolerance for bullshit.

I know you meet #1 and #2 amy but I didn't know about #3.

amyzzz
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Jane Austen makes me feel safe. Her world is so ordered. I've read and re-read all of her major novels. I'm tempted to watch some of the more recent Austen spinoff movies although I haven't gone that far yet.

chairmenmeow47
07-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I was just hoping for other stories of traveling incidents that pissed you off, its consoling.

awww, well, this didn't so much piss me off as scare the ever loving crap outta me due to paranoia. back in the summer of 2001 my boyfriend at the time and i went to club med cancuun when he worked for club med. we flew to LA and then took a club med charter flight from LA to cancuun.

the landing area had a lot of grass i remember. the "airport" was like a giant wherehouse with one big turnstile for ALL the bags. it was crazy.

well, my boyfriend and i had decided to try to bring an entire bag of weed, ecstacy and some coke (i hate coke, but he got a really good deal or something so whatever. the shit turned to liquid within 30 minutes of sitting on the table anyways). well, it was decided that my crotch would be the transport for all these goodies.

we made it through ok, but man, when you get to mexico, everyone just stands in a line to wait and see if they will be searched. you basically go up to this giant stop light with a button. you push the button and if it's green, you're free to go. but if it's red, you get like COMPLETELY searched. it was weird, you were either just let in or like taken into a room to be searched, no inbetween. they said it was random, but you could see some guy in a booth watching the crowd.

i'm kind of a "good girl" in that i hate breaking rules and haven't really gotten into any major trouble, so i was scared shitless at this point. i thought i was going to collapse as i pushed the button, but thankfully it was green and we made it through.

but that scared me enough to never bring anything except pharmies for my nerves when i fly. jesus christ, never again!!! lol

bug on your lip
07-11-2008, 08:41 AM
i once hid in Ivy's crotch to get into Nicaragua

chairmenmeow47
07-11-2008, 08:43 AM
i once hid in Ivy's crotch to get into Nicaragua

and i'd just like to clarify that there are no bugs in my crotch. ew :p

bug on your lip
07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
i need visual clarification

i'm a hard sell

chairmenmeow47
07-11-2008, 08:59 AM
i need visual clarification

i'm a hard sell

Hopeless Semantic
07-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Them look like tabs...

Anyhow, the nuttiest time I've ever had was when I traveled back to Thailand with my father and we were suddenly swept away and taken to a secluded room. It was reminiscent of Brokedown Palace, but without all the drugs and stuff lol. Apparenty, and this is when I found out my father had worked for the Thai military, they never gave him a medal for his service and since they ran his passport, the MP in the area recognized him and they took us in and gave him the medal. He didn't really care for the medal and left it on the grave of my grandfather. Kinda tripped me out though, so I bugged him to tell me what it was he did and he would never tell me the whole story.