PDA

View Full Version : Prince is awesome

bballarl
02-04-2007, 04:09 PM
This is awesome.

idrive1life
02-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah, add Prince. ;)

http://imagegen.last.fm/basicrt10/recenttracks/9/idrive1life.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/idrive1life/?chartstyle=basicrt10)

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 04:11 PM
He played the Palladium a few years ago it was cool.

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 04:12 PM
It was a Goldenvoice show and AEG is doing his upcoming tour so who knows.

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Hes singing a Foo Fighters song.

psychic friend
02-04-2007, 04:15 PM
this is gross. and the palladium show sucked.

daniel
02-04-2007, 04:16 PM
he isnt actually playing the guitar. hahaha.

bwonger06
02-04-2007, 04:17 PM
heck i dont think he is even singing.

suprefan
02-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Hahahaha he is shredding it crazy.... All in the rain, very epic.....

boyalien0
02-04-2007, 04:18 PM
i just love how there's a huge, neon symbol of sexual ambiguity on a freakin' football field.

vinylmartyr
dude rips on guitar

suprefan
I am glad I am tivo-ing this.....

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't understand how anyone could hate on that. It was clearly epic.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah I thought that was pretty sweet, purple rain in the rain, he rocked it. Foo fighters bit was an interesting choice.

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 04:21 PM
He did it justice.

daniel
02-04-2007, 04:23 PM
nothing against prince, but the musical presentation that was happening on stage felt way off to me.

Rezzo
02-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Let's Go Crazy...

Mr.Nipples
02-04-2007, 04:25 PM
i thought it sucked.i agree. he couldnt have played guitar because there was nothing plugged in, not even a wireless unit.

yes i overanalyze these things

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 04:27 PM
oh geez its a conspiracy

Barbara, the ninja
02-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Wait, I remember at one point when he was just singing and he thrusted forward a little and went back and the guitar hit his thigh and made a little guitar squeak. So.... all of that must've been real, no? Purple rain in the rain, that was pretty.

hypervera
02-04-2007, 04:35 PM
prince is a great musician! and he is better guitar player than a lot of the guitar player that will play at coachella

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Dude he was playing for real.

tessalasset
02-04-2007, 04:38 PM
i hate prince.

bwonger06
02-04-2007, 04:40 PM
dude havent you ever seen this is spinal tap! the wireless guitar dude!

Mr.Nipples
02-04-2007, 04:42 PM
prince is a great musician! and he is better guitar player than a lot of the guitar player that will play at coachella

very true, but remember, tom morello will be playing.

Rezzo
02-04-2007, 04:49 PM
very true, but remember, tom morello will be playing.

tom morello is pretty overrated as a guitarist

gmoneyak
02-04-2007, 04:49 PM
i hate prince.

You can hate him, but have to respect his influence the past 20 years...

Revolutionalized R+B/Rock genres...

scoop49er
02-04-2007, 04:53 PM
bottom line prince is one of the greatest ever.. period...... dont have to like him, but u wil respect him...... :) and yes he does play guitar like a madman. very underrated.

ivankay
02-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Prince is THE BEST. As far as musical performances for the Super Bowl goes, ranks up there with "Where the Streets Have No Name" after 9/11 (almost impossible to tap that big an emotional vein ever again). And he did it in the rain! He must have called God up and said "Jehova...(don't throw rocks please), what would be dope is if it was pourung rain and i could do Purple Rain" with a big ass marching band and a whole stadium of people "whoo hooo" ing at the end. Could you hook that up?"
The "All Along the Watch Tower" tease into "Best of You" was excellent. Prince is an all out, muther f%ckin' genius! If you have never been to one of his shows, too bad for you.

Prince headlining the Sahara (Main Stage would suit the crowd) would be pretty huge.

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 04:59 PM
That marching band was march synching don't ya know. They were not really marching or playing.

Mr.Nipples
02-04-2007, 05:02 PM
morello may be overated but he is the most innovative player since hendrix hands down.

Rezzo
02-04-2007, 05:05 PM
morello may be overated but he is the most innovative player since hendrix hands down.

um i don't think so

scoop49er
02-04-2007, 05:14 PM
innovative but lets not get carried away now..... morello is great with riffs like cobain was. but solos, no way dude.......

ivankay
02-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Why Mr. Morello has to enter almost every thread is a little sign of Rage obsession by some. Understanable, but i just saying.

Also saying, if there was a contest for all around best guitar player, i think Mr. Morello might even agree, Prince would win.

tessalasset
02-04-2007, 05:26 PM
You can hate him, but have to respect his influence the past 20 years...will you please name some of the biggest acts who have said they have been influenced by him so i can make my decision to respect him or not? he definitely isn't my style, so the only one i can think of off the top of my head is justin timberlake, and that makes me hate him more. please name some bands who worship prince who i worship. thanks.

bballarl
02-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Damien Rice. Hanson. The Arcade Fire.

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Beck

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 05:29 PM
I saw Rob Zombie at a Prince concert.

ivankay
02-04-2007, 06:01 PM
will you please name some of the biggest acts who have said they have been influenced by him so i can make my decision to respect him or not? he definitely isn't my style, so the only one i can think of off the top of my head is justin timberlake, and that makes me hate him more. please name some bands who worship prince who i worship. thanks.

just some quickies on the search "influenced by Prince":

Lenny Kravitz, Dr. Dre, Outkast, Beck, Sinead O Connor, The Foo Fighters, Chaka Kahn, Cyndi Lauper, Beyonce, Hot Chip, Ween, Daft Punk, Mylo, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Jamiroquai, David Bowie, N.E.R.D., Kanye West, George Michael, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Trent Reznor, The Smashing Pumpkins, Rick Rubin, The Beastie Boys, Wu Tang Clan, Gnarls Barkley, Nirvana, The Rolling Stones, The Flaming Lips, No Doubt....

more to come i'm sure.

tessalasset
02-04-2007, 06:17 PM
are these bands who have said they have been influenced by prince? or just bands who sound like prince sometimes who came after prince?

buddy
02-04-2007, 06:17 PM
prince was great. that is all.

Yablonowitz
02-04-2007, 06:26 PM
How can Prince not be your style? He plays so many different styles, some of them got to be good for you. You like OutKast?

He's fucking awesome and even in the excessively grotesque universe of a Super Bowl backdrop, he rocked it.

suprefan
02-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Prince killed it.. Admit it.. Next year is going to be tough to beat this years halftime show for a change...

ivankay
02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
are these bands who have said they have been influenced by prince? or just bands who sound like prince sometimes who came after prince?

People who have covered, respected, been influenced by (musically, performance or production wise) Prince. Prince has been inspired by a few of them (Prince gets a lot of influencxe from Bowie, Bowie gets inspired by everything...even sad, fat men). Prince has released so many influencial "albums", it would almost be impossible for him not to influence any muscian that plays for more than just fun. Purple Rain was a major release that had major impact on many levels. A couple of things that influence a lot of muscians is his prolific song writing and his ablilty to play almost any instrument well. His live performance have schooled aspiring and established performers to take it to another level the same way James Brown and Hendrix influenced Prince.

Ah, i wanna watch "Extras" now

bmack86
02-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Prince is just fuckin awesome.

Yablonowitz
02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
He blends pop, rock, soul, funk, and to a lesser extent, hip-hop so effortlessly it sounds like there really aren't specific musical genres in popular music.

I kind of like Prince though, so I'm biased.

ADrunkPoet
02-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Watching Prince at half-time reaffirmed my serious to see him live..

But I doubt this will ever happen on the Polo Fields

york707
02-04-2007, 07:07 PM
OH WOW that was awesome. It makes me mad I didn't spend $75 last spring to see him here in St. louis. That was easily the best halftime show in years.

CuervoPH
02-04-2007, 07:14 PM
And even without the weather adding to the coolness, I was hoping he'd do "Purple Rain". The guitar work at the end of that song still gives me chills.

summerkid
02-04-2007, 07:16 PM
GV take the hint and get Prince to headline a day next year.

amyzzz
02-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I loved the halftime show. I even loved his outfit. Blue and orange are awesome together.

Trent Reznor thanks Prince in Pretty Hate Machine. Or he samples him. Or something.

idrive1life
02-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Yo La Tengo, Elvis Costello, Prince ... oh they are so few, in my so musical style and taste ... maddening, unpredictable and spectacularly eclectic.

Hot Prince concert @ Super Bowl Media Center! He is so damn good here ... reporting from Miami ... next up ... The Police

orYH23Bgnrk&mode

kreutz2112
02-04-2007, 07:19 PM

disagree (way to bold of a statement)!

and

prince wasnt THAT great

bmack86
02-04-2007, 07:20 PM
why is Prince so awesome?

CuervoPH
02-04-2007, 07:20 PM
and, GV, if you want to keep it three days, you can go with a P theme...have Prince headline, along with Pink Floyd, The ******, The Pixies, Pulp, Portishead, or other P artists of your choice not including Paula Abdul...

bmack86
02-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Pink Floyd is still too big

Mr.Nipples
02-04-2007, 07:22 PM
innovative but lets not get carried away now..... morello is great with riffs like cobain was. but solos, no way dude.......

are you kidding me?

CuervoPH
02-04-2007, 07:22 PM
but it would be interesting to see if PF could do a longer set than their Live 8 set without Gilmour and Waters killing each other...

kreutz2112
02-04-2007, 07:24 PM
morellos solos are inovative, but his work with audioslave was NOT

york707
02-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Eddie Van Halen?

mountmccabe
02-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Oh, yeah. I forgot to express the love for the Prince at the halftime.

ivankay
02-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Eddie Van Halen?

Major influential (probably more than Mr. Morello) since Hendrix:

The Edge, Frank Zappa, Johnny Ramone, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Kurt Cobain, Steve Jones, Brian May, Johnny Greenwood, Slash....

suprefan
02-04-2007, 07:47 PM
and, GV, if you want to keep it three days, you can go with a P theme...have Prince headline, along with Pink Floyd, The ******, The Pixies, Pulp, Portishead, or other P artists of your choice not including Paula Abdul...

Yes the P's have it.... And having Prince headline will make up for Madonna last year.... Oh wait Prince in the tent, man that would be INSANE... I wanna see him at Club 3121 in Vegas, just gotta shell out the big bucks for it..

amyzzz
02-04-2007, 07:48 PM
And The Police, of course.

gaypalmsprings
02-04-2007, 07:51 PM
prince sucked at the superbowl

Benis23
02-04-2007, 08:09 PM
i have no earthly idea why people like this guy. it really confuses me

ivankay
02-04-2007, 08:21 PM
i have no earthly idea why people like this guy. it really confuses me

Is this confusion with or without "listening" to Prince's music? If no serious listening was involved, i guess greatest hits might be a nice beginning. "Sign o' the Times" and "Purple Rain" are the complete masterpieces. If you like those...Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, Around the World in a Day, Diamonds and Pearls, the symbol album (my name is Prince and i am funky, Seven), the Black Album, Lovesexy...start with the music and the rest can be appreciated later.

fober
02-04-2007, 08:32 PM
I think someone mentioned Morello was an overrated guitarist in general.

That's probably only taking into consideration his work with RATM/Audioslave.

Morello is actually a great (award winning in fact) classical guitarist.

back4more
02-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Yes the P's have it.... And having Prince headline will make up for Madonna last year.... Oh wait Prince in the tent, man that would be INSANE... I wanna see him at Club 3121 in Vegas, just gotta shell out the big bucks for it..

Has anyone seen Prince's show in Vegas yet? I was a bit surpised to read a couple of months back that he had gone the way of Celine Dion and Wayne Newton and set up a residency in Vegas but I gotta be there for work for a week before Coachella so thought I may try to get tickets to see him. Seen him in concert three times before and he is a great performer.

tessalasset
02-04-2007, 08:46 PM
ivankay, i see what you're saying. i guess my comment that i hate prince was fueled from underexposure. i've only really heard "kiss" (which i completely despise, and is the type of song i immediately associate with his sound) and "purple rain" (which i think is cheesy as fuck). maybe i just need to listen to all of prince's hits and find a song i actually like.

thinnerair
02-04-2007, 08:49 PM
The Prince halftime set wasn't really all that amazing.
The Foo Fighter cover was interesting. I guess since they covered him, he decided to cover them?
I watched An Evening with Kevin Smith and he talks about how he had worked with Prince on a documentary a few years ago and just how ridiculous Prince is...a total space cadet.

Tom Morellos is an incredible guitarist. Very innovative.
Not quite the 'most innovative guitarist" since Hendrix though.
There are tons since Hendrix and while I definitely think Morello has changed the way some people view guitar playing, He has quite an innovative technique and his ability to create certain sounds is certainly great, but putting him up against Hendrix without mentioning other ppl is just a bit ridiculous.
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana, The Edge, Eddie Van Halen, Johnny Greenwood, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour.
There are soo many guys.

ivankay
02-04-2007, 09:06 PM
ivankay, i see what you're saying. i guess my comment that i hate prince was fueled from underexposure. i've only really heard "kiss" (which i completely despise, and is the type of song i immediately associate with his sound) and "purple rain" (which i think is cheesy as fuck). maybe i just need to listen to all of prince's hits and find a song i actually like.

i can see how the cheesy view would come into play. i experienced these songs when they came out in the context of the Purple Rain phenomenon (movie, cd, tour) and when Kiss was just this awesomely weird song that was as much a suprise as "When Doves Cry". i wonder how i would view them without my old guy perspective.

my fascination with him developed the first time i heard and saw the video for "Controversy". That guitar and the hooks totally suckered me in. the 1999 album solidified for me that he was one of those HUGE muscians. Seeing the Purple Rain movie and tour pushed him into the serious elite as far as performing goes. Everything he has done has not been gold, but his batting average is ridiculous.

Song suggestions: Controversy, When You Were Mine, I Wanna Be Your Lover, The Beautiful Ones, Erotic City, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, Sign o the Times, Seven, The Most Beautiful Girl in the World, Get Off, 17 Days (b side), Cream, Housequake, Mountains, Paisley Park....

Yablonowitz
02-04-2007, 09:23 PM
If you don't like "Pop Life," there's something wrong with you.

menikmati
02-04-2007, 09:43 PM
I really need to find a new place to hang out...everybody at the superbowl "party" I went to (though calling this a party would be like calling your fishing boat a ship) was just slamming Prince, calling him gay (and other words) and how much the music sucks, which then spilled off into one of the guy's son's talking and laughing about all the fights he sees breakout while at school, and how it was funny some kid (who he claimed to be gay, just like Prince) get his ass beat in the locker room, then they all went back to chanting how much they hate Prince and the whole halftime show. I felt like keying that guy's Scion HV or whatever the hell it's called...

KungFuJoe
02-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Watching Prince at half-time reaffirmed my serious to see him live..

But I doubt this will ever happen on the Polo Fields

You never know. Prince showed up at Prospect Park Brooklyn last summer to play a free show with Maceo Parker... or maybe that was just a rumour I heard back in July. I'm pretty certain this happened though, so I don't think Prince is beyond performing anywhere at any given time. I would love to see it.

I agree with all of you who thought that was the best halftime show in a very long time. However, it did seem a times that he wasn't actually playing, but I think there was some sort of delay with the audio.

scoop49er
02-05-2007, 05:38 AM
well ive benna huge prince fan since 1980 (yes i was 9!) i got in trouble in 3rd grade for singing the song head (obviously you can figure out what the song is about) the amazing thing about prince was he came out with a album every year! and it was always a different feel and sound. mixed sex and religion perfectly and he produced, wrote and arranged all his music. he truly believes in being in control of his music. yea over 30 years he has made some clunkers at times and sometimes i myself have questioned some of his decisions and he can be a royal prick. but its what makes him unique and truly a amazing artist. bottom line is he wants no-one to fuck with his music period and if he is gonna bring it up then tear it down, he will do it no one else. and he is huge on a artist being a artist. play live, bring it every night, and love what u do. if u wanna get to know prince's music. go to the 80's catalog and get thses cd's: dirty mind, purple rain, and sign of the times. dirty mind cuz its basically a 30 min demo about sexuality and is a new wave record to be honest. purple rain cuz well,its purple rain, and sign of the times cuz every aspect of prince is on this record 90 min. perfect.... start there if you cant get into him after that, then hey to each his own, and by the way, to the ones who say prince is gay and have to be a homo bashing asshole, just to make u feel better, prince gets more pussy than you can imagine! just look at the laides that go to the shows. end of story.

vinylmartyr
02-05-2007, 05:42 AM
Don't forget the Prince Black Album!!!

scoop49er
02-05-2007, 05:49 AM
i never could get into the black album even when it was a bootleg only... i thought lovesexy was a better album. i still think alot of the unreleased crystal ball material is some of the best stuff he ever did that never got released.

Disco!
02-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Yeah I seem to remember after the "nipplegate" scandal that the bigwigs wanted a 10 or 30 second broadcast delay incase something similar happened.

And yes that was god damn awesome.

TomAz
02-05-2007, 06:20 AM
I didn't watch the halftime show. I don't, as a rule.

but Prince is amazing. I suggest '1999' as a starting point.

bug on your lip
02-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Price was amazing.

if you've ever played an electric guitar you could easily tell from the strokes that it was live, if his singing wasn't enough proof

Yablonowitz
02-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Price was amazing.

if you've ever played an electric guitar you could easily tell from the strokes that it was live, if his singing wasn't enough proof

The amount of flawless choreographing that would have had to take place for that to be staged makes the probability of it being lipsynched/dubbed miniscule.

He threw in Creedence, Dylan and Foo Fighters. Best Halftime show ever.

bug on your lip
02-05-2007, 06:52 AM
yeah, i was dissappointed he didn't expand the Dylan, it was sounding fresh

Purple Rain w/ the slick riffs, in the pouring rain, on the giant neon purple symbol, with 50,000 people singing along = stellar

mob roulette
02-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Everything he has done has not been gold, but his batting average is ridiculous... Song suggestions: Controversy, When You Were Mine, I Wanna Be Your Lover, The Beautiful Ones, Erotic City, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man, Sign o the Times, Seven, The Most Beautiful Girl in the World, Get Off, 17 Days (b side), Cream, Housequake, Mountains, Paisley Park....

agreed. erotic city is the greatest 12" known to man, even better than white lines or blue monday. i would also add take me with u, darling nikki, pop life, and sexy mf to this already stellar list.

bug on your lip
02-05-2007, 07:18 AM
i used to party at Paisley Park...

Prince would jam from about 2am to 5am.... he'd never play one of his "songs" it was just jams, and expermintation with a full band.
the man is just genius

Yablonowitz
02-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Purple Rain w/ the slick riffs, in the pouring rain, on the giant neon purple symbol, with 50,000 people singing along = stellar

Prince made it rain.

bug on your lip
02-05-2007, 07:26 AM
hehehe

schoolofruckus
02-05-2007, 07:31 AM
He threw in Creedence, Dylan and Foo Fighters. Best Halftime show ever.

I think it was absolutely the best halftime show since U2....but I still think that one is pretty much insurmountable.

Yablonowitz
02-05-2007, 07:36 AM
I think it was absolutely the best halftime show since U2....but I still think that one is pretty much insurmountable.

I don't think I saw U2...what Super Bowl was that?

Hey, I was just thinking...remember that Super Bowl where the score was 55-10? That was some game.

full on idle
02-05-2007, 07:40 AM
My favorite part was when his little man complex took over so he went behind a sheet that made his shadow look giant while he played his enormous phallic guitar.

full on idle
02-05-2007, 07:40 AM
Also, fun fact: 9 million toilets flush at the same time during superbowl halftime.

C DUB YA
02-05-2007, 07:41 AM
I have see him multiple times (at least a dozen), he is ALWAYS AMAZING. The Superbowl performance was great for what it was. He has more talent in his pinky than most.

Go see him in Vegas at 3121, quite the show, although very pricey.

C DUB YA
02-05-2007, 07:42 AM
prince sucked at the superbowl

you are stupid.

C DUB YA
02-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Has anyone seen Prince's show in Vegas yet? I was a bit surpised to read a couple of months back that he had gone the way of Celine Dion and Wayne Newton and set up a residency in Vegas but I gotta be there for work for a week before Coachella so thought I may try to get tickets to see him. Seen him in concert three times before and he is a great performer.

I wouldn't say he's doing a Celine.

His show is about the music, not the specticle. Its really good, very expensive, but really good. He plays for a long time, but don't expect too many hits, he likes to jam throughout the evening, but I guess no show is ever exactly the same. Just like his tours.

Yablonowitz
02-05-2007, 07:47 AM
I really need to find a new place to hang out...everybody at the superbowl "party" I went to (though calling this a party would be like calling your fishing boat a ship) was just slamming Prince, calling him gay (and other words) and how much the music sucks, which then spilled off into one of the guy's son's talking and laughing about all the fights he sees breakout while at school, and how it was funny some kid (who he claimed to be gay, just like Prince) get his ass beat in the locker room, then they all went back to chanting how much they hate Prince and the whole halftime show. I felt like keying that guy's Scion HV or whatever the hell it's called...

Menik - that is the saddest story I've heard in a long time. I wish I lived nearby...I'd key their cars for you and that way you wouldn't have to deal with the complications if you were discovered.

C DUB YA
02-05-2007, 07:50 AM
check out the chapelle show episode with the charlie murphy true story of Prince.

Funny and insightful.

J~$$$
02-05-2007, 08:22 AM
The snickers commercial made me laugh.

schoolofruckus
02-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I don't think I saw U2...what Super Bowl was that?

Ha ha ha ha.....It was actually the first time the Patriots won the Super Bowl. You were probably so pissed about the tuck rule that you didn't even watch the game.

But dude, Pantheon-level halftime show. First Super Bowl after 9/11. U2 played "Walk On" and "Where The Streets Have No Name", and during the latter they had like a video display of all the names of all the 9/11 victims. Historic shit.

Hey, I was just thinking...remember that Super Bowl where the score was 55-10? That was some game.

Dickface. I remember John Elway putting on two rings and riding off into the sunset.

schoolofruckus
02-05-2007, 08:33 AM
d1NqKeam_Hw

amyzzz
02-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I think this was the first time I've ever watched a Super Bowl, although most of the time I was also reading a magazine in front of the TV. I hate football. Prince was a nice bonus.

york707
02-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Tessa, Prince. Prince, Tessa. (http://www.popmatters.com/pm/columns/article/10656/the-purple-experience-your-popmatters-primer-on-princes-pop-life/)

bug on your lip
02-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Tessa doesn't like little femmy manboys like Prince

she likes her studs meaty & intimidating..... like Hanson

TomAz
02-05-2007, 11:47 AM
that guy only gave Dirty Mind 7 out of 10. that guy's about 3 points shy of being correct.

C DUB YA
02-05-2007, 12:26 PM
That U2 performance chokes me up everytime - that is why they are as big as they are.

Amazing.

bballarl
02-05-2007, 12:39 PM
I remember watching that U2 thing and getting chills. On their Slane Castle DVD, they transition from All I Want Is You to WTSHNN with Bono singing a capella and that gives me chills every time without fail. His father had just died and he was essentially pouring his soul out. Then Edge starts playing the riff to WTSHNN and it's glorious.

Yablonowitz
02-05-2007, 12:40 PM
I remember that...I think I flipped it when they started running up the names of the 9/11 victims...nothing against U2, but I was tiring of the exploitation of that event. Now, it seems pretty cool in retrospect.

mob roulette
02-05-2007, 12:42 PM
U2 pretty much cornered the market on celebrity 9/11 grieving. and good for them too, i guess. at least they did it right.

hawkingvsreeve
02-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Then Edge starts playing the riff to WTSHNN

You mean every song that they do. The guy has one riff.

TomAz
02-05-2007, 12:44 PM
U2 pretty much cornered the market on celebrity 9/11 grieving. and good for them too, i guess. at least they did it right.

I thought that was Springsteen.

york707
02-05-2007, 12:50 PM
My favorite part was when his little man complex took over so he went behind a sheet that made his shadow look giant while he played his enormous phallic guitar.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20070205/i/r2083585953.jpg?

mob roulette
02-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I thought that was Springsteen.

both. i really just meant the superbowl appearance and concurrent tour. the one with the heart-shaped stage extension. it was like being in church or something.

ghettojournalist
02-05-2007, 03:36 PM
check out kevin smith's reaction to prince.
"an evening with..."
i still want to see prince though.

full on idle
02-05-2007, 03:39 PM
hahaha York that's it.

fatbastard
02-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I thought his half time performance was great.

C DUB YA
02-05-2007, 06:51 PM
it was very great

SnowShoe
02-05-2007, 10:00 PM
I really need to find a new place to hang out....

yes, you do need to find a new place to hang out.

prince will go down as one of a few great artists of the 80s/90s/00s era.

the tone of his guitar at the superbowl was absolutely beautiful, whether you are a fan or not. ask any guitarist. and if you thought he was lip synching or faking on the guitar... then i need a bag of your smoke.

fatbastard
02-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I made the same comment about the sound of his guitar to my wife. I don't know how many boxes he had that guitar going thru but it was pure bliss to hear. The one handed neck move got me off the floor and standing staight in front of the TV.

idrive1life
02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I did not watch neither I cared for that game but I did watch Prince's performance.

New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/sports/football/05halftime.html

A brief concert in the middle of the Super Bowl, on a temporary stage, designed to thrill a captive audience with nothing in common except a love of sport or spectacle, or both. How could that ever be a good idea? Then, just when it seemed time to give up on that quaint ritual known as the halftime show, along comes Prince.

His performance last night at Super Bowl XLI will surely go down as one of the most thrilling halftime shows ever; certainly the most unpredictable, and perhaps the best. “Dearly beloved,” he whispered, intoning the famous first words of “Let’s Go Crazy.”

F#$#s News

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250581,00.html

Prince's acclaimed performance included a guitar solo during the "Purple Rain" segment of his medley in which his shadow was projected onto a large, flowing beige sheet. As the 48-year-old rock star let rip, the silhouette cast by his figure and his guitar (shaped like the singer's symbol) had phallic connotations for some.

A number of bloggers have decried "Malfunction!" — including Sam Anderson at New York magazine's Daily Intelligencer. Daily News television critic David Bianculli called it "a rude-looking shadow show" that "looked embarrassingly rude, crude and unfortunately placed."

The majority of the reaction to Prince's performance has been laudatory, including positive reviews from The Associated Press, the New York Times and USA Today — all of which noted the lack of controversy in this year's halftime show. AP Entertainment Writer Douglas J. Rowe wrote: "He delivered one of the best Super Bowl halftime shows — ever."

For decades, the electric guitar, by nature, has been considered phallic. From Jimi Hendrix's sensual 6-string swagger to Eddie Van Halen's masturbatory soloing, the guitar has often been thought an extension of a male player's sexuality.

Was Prince's pose phallic?

"The short answer is, of course it is," says Rolling Stone magazine contributing editor Gavin Edwards, who points out that on Prince's "Purple Rain" tour in the mid `80s, he performed with a guitar that would ejaculate, squirting water out of its end during the climax of "Let's Go Crazy."

"All that said, it didn't seem like a sniggering little puppet show," adds Edwards. "I think it was one of those things because a guitar at waist level does look like an enormous phallus."

Prince / Superbowl XLI (Full)
7YX5aXbs7_4

http://imagegen.last.fm/basicrt10/recenttracks/8/idrive1life.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/idrive1life/?chartstyle=basicrt10)

york707
02-07-2007, 11:40 AM
iDrive - you left out the last quote in that AP article:

"If people want to be hypersensitive, they can be hypersensitive," says Rolling Stone's Edwards. "Those trombones are phallic, too. What are you going to do?"

ivankay
02-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey tessa. i am watching a documentary on Prince called "The Prince of Paisley Park" on VH1 Classic. It will be on again at 1PM tomorrow (Monday). Record it and i think your appreciation might begin to develop and grow.

DeltaSigChi4
02-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Faux "news" shouldn't be on the air, on the internet, or existing at all.

E

ivankay
02-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Faux "news" shouldn't be on the air, on the internet, or existing at all.

E

?????

Are you suggesting the documentary was a fabrication of facts and opinions?

DeltaSigChi4
02-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm stating that the channel and website ARE a fabrication of facts and opinions, slanting every piece of information they come across to support their radical viewpoint.

E

ivankay
02-25-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm stating that the channel and website ARE a fabrication of facts and opinions, slanting every piece of information they come across to support their radical viewpoint.

E

VH1 Classic? i think you are referring to Fox's need to create some story out of the demon schlong shadow from the Super Bowl.

DeltaSigChi4
02-26-2007, 09:00 PM
http://www.obeygiant.com/merch/prince.jpg

E

instinct
04-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Prince is dope!

idrive1life
04-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah, add Prince. ;)

http://imagegen.last.fm/basicrt10/recenttracks/9/idrive1life.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/idrive1life/?chartstyle=basicrt10)

Post #2! 02/04/2007

http://coachella.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34562&postcount=2

Time for avatar change.

I :pulse GV, PT, PF and Coachella!

orbit
04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
you love Passive Theory?

idrive1life
04-09-2008, 08:11 PM
snap

gmoneyak
04-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Damn, I almost forgot how great of a read this thread was..

Yablonowitz
04-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Tessa needs to account.

Account Tessa!

Cheddar's Cousin
04-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Is Prince that guy who used to be called Prince?

If he is...he's awesome!