07-06-2008, 03:06 PM
http://www.nwo.dk/pic/fuck%20on%20first%20date.jpg

Wheres the beef?
07-06-2008, 03:10 PM
anyone from or live there?

We should meet up for casual sex.

BROKENDOLL
07-06-2008, 03:33 PM
There's a great hotel/bed n' breakfast inn there, called The Madonna Inn. I'd recommened it for casual sex. And, if you're on the creatively kinky side, their rooms each have a different theme to them for your pleasure.

leo01g
07-06-2008, 03:44 PM
just wondering how old are you psycocandy?

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 03:47 PM
i live in santa maria which is 30 min south of there...great kinda big city...what's up?

humanoid
07-06-2008, 03:51 PM
There's a great hotel/bed n' breakfast inn there, called The Madonna Inn. I'd recommened it for casual sex. And, if you're on the creatively kinky side, their rooms each have a different theme to them for your pleasure.

the Madonna Inn is pretty fun....a former girlfriend of mine lived in SLO, and whenever I visited, we'd stay there

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
No city around here is great or "kinda big". I'm from right around SLO and, like any place, it's great fun if you're willing to be spontaneous and your friends are clever. Otherwise it's boring and I think you probably spend most of your life at some bar. The food around here is dismal, with only a handful of good restaurants. There's decent hiking all around the area, better if you're willing to drive a little bit. Some nice camping places. It's slow-paced and the drivers here are morons, but it's a pretty area.

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Also you should come see the chickens in Arroyo Grande and go to the drive-in. Two good things to do.

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 05:58 PM
the chickens in AG? you gotta be shittin me...i was just in slo last thursday and had a blast at farmers market, then bar hoppin! you'd be surprised at what talent downtown brew brings in these days. the foods not great, but there's a lot of good seafood, japanese,and bbq options here. i gotta agree with you about the friends part though, they make things A LOT better.

and slo is kinda big...it's a college town and the city keeps growing. it's not "big" like la or san diego, but it's definitely on the kinda big scale.

fatbastard
07-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Love that Apple Farm apple butter.

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Aw come on everyone loves the chickens.

ANYWAY, since I'm a Negative Nancy, farmer's market is kind of irritating because it seems like every retard in the area comes out to mingle and be retarded together. Downtown Brew is a shitass venue. There are three good barbeque joints (Mo's, Alex, Jocko's), approximately two good Japanese places (Umi and then one in SLO whose name I always forget), and surprisingly no seafood place that I'd care to eat at.

I don't know. Growing up in a place you tend to see only the drawbacks, but I suppose it's nice enough for a while. I'd rather stay in Arroyo Grande than SLO because it's less fake gentrified and it's prettier.

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 06:09 PM
wow...negative nancy and debbie downer is one post! mingle and be retarded together? woe is me...being social CAN be fun kiddo ;)

downtown brew is fun if you want a tiny venue and decent artists to come RIGHT in your area. mother's bbq is legit, as is firestone, but you forgot the best, mcclintocks (sp?) and sushi is yanagis, while seafood is steamers in pismo and splash cafe. i'm sure you'll find the dark and dreary in anything i say though. come to slo...i'll buy you a drink when you turn 21 and maybe you can even smile and dance. or is that acting retarded too?

ps...AG is where you go when you retire. congrats on being 19 going on 60.

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Oh, Splash is a good one. McClintock's is giant chunks of mediocre food for too much money and Yanagi is uninspiring. Steamer's likewise is overpriced and blah.

And I'm amazed that you have the SLO snobbish attitude towards AG since you live in Santa Maria. They look down on you too, you know. More than us.

fatbastard
07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
It's kind of true about the food. I drive to Giuseppe's in Pismo if I'm not in the mood for Mo's. There's also a corner liquor store that serves some good Q. The Frog and Peach serve a good pint. Not too crazy about the frat heads. McClintocks is overrated. For the record, I've completed one of their 1 pound steaks in one sitting along with my baked potato. Shit, now I'm hungry.

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Go to Jocko's in Nipomo if you want a giant (and wonderful) steak. Giuseppe's used to be good, but their emphasis now is on high turnover of tourists and not on food quality. It's a shame.

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
it has nothing to do with snobbish love...it's just AG is decent, but NOTHING to do there. it's better looking than santa maria but you're in trouble when we have more things to do than you guys. santa maria's a shitthole in itself though. i live in orcutt which is by the st joes/righetti and just driving down broadway, it feels like you have made a journey to mexico. nontheless, it's not a turf war or anything and that's why i like going to slo here and there, it's way nicer than sm and that's why i was defending it. are you in town for summer?

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 06:24 PM
jockos is ridiculous...sooooo bomb! just go, looks ghetto but i'll back her up on that. plus they make a good strong drink. and the frat-brodudes are outta control but it's fun laughing at them as well. i'm a fan of mother's and marti's. good people for the most part there...

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Nah, I'm in town right now sort of by a fluke. I'm going camping tomorrow at Montana de Oro and then I have to go back down to San Diego.

fatbastard
07-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Go to Jocko's in Nipomo if you want a giant (and wonderful) steak. Giuseppe's used to be good, but their emphasis now is on high turnover of tourists and not on food quality. It's a shame.

That sucks to hear. They have a great wine list. Most times, I actually go down the street to their take out place and order pizza to go. I'll either eat in the patio outside or take it back to the hotel.

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 06:28 PM
ah...bummer. i wouldn't have mind draggin you outta the house on my way up to slo and showing you it could be fun! next time...

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Pismo's gotten dumpy over the years. Not that it was ever a standout of class and charm but the tourists have just driven it into the ground.

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 06:29 PM
ah...bummer. i wouldn't have mind draggin you outta the house on my way up to slo and showing you it could be fun! next time...

Oh, I know SLO can be fun. But in my experience you have to make it fun because on its own it's nothing special.

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 06:29 PM
That sucks to hear. They have a great wine list. Most times, I actually go down the street to their take out place and order pizza to go. I'll either eat in the patio outside or take it back to the hotel.

how often you around the central coast man?

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 06:30 PM
P.S. Thai Kitchen in AG is the shit. It looks preposterous, and they play Backstreet Boys, but the food is good. And JJ's Market has a bitchin' deli.

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh, I know SLO can be fun. But in my experience you have to make it fun because on it's own it's nothing special.

i see where you're coming from...definitely not like san diego. but compared to the other cities around here, i'll peachy with it. don't be a stranger. that goes to any of you people! hit me up and i'll buy you a drank. shorties =)

miscorrections
07-06-2008, 06:32 PM
That offer is going to have to wait a year. Actually I totally want to go to Bill's Place in AG (you know, with the moth-eaten lion in the window) because it just seems so shitty and rundown and awesome.

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
haha yaaaaaaaaa i don't know about that place. mr. rick's is a good time at avila though...

M Sparks
07-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Mmmmm....Mo's. Thanks for the reminder. I'll be passing through in August.

algunz
07-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Go to Gus' Grocery off of Leff Street, the natural spas near Avila Beach, and a great dive bar is Bulls downtown.

BlueDevil50
07-06-2008, 10:04 PM
no no no...bulls is garbage. full of hick rodeo boys tryin to be tough...go have fun at frog n peache or library for a small bar.

fiyahhh!
07-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Boo-boo records.

algunz
07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
no no no...bulls is garbage. full of hick rodeo boys tryin to be tough...go have fun at frog n peache or library for a small bar.

That's why it's fun.

Add to the gum wall.

Venture out of town, Harmony is very cool and there's a place about a 45 minute drive through beautiful open fields called The Pozo Saloon.

marooko
07-07-2008, 07:38 AM
watch out for chuck liddel.

BlueDevil50
07-07-2008, 08:18 AM
pozo's cool out in santa margarita, just hot as balls about now. bubblegum alley is tradition, and boo boo's is my favorite place to go seeing there isn't any other indie record store around here.

no need to worry about chuck...he'll be too busy at the grad or downtown brew freakin lil 17 year old chicks...cool guy though.

marooko
07-07-2008, 08:20 AM
pozo's cool out in santa margarita, just hot as balls about now. bubblegum alley is tradition, and boo boo's is my favorite place to go seeing there isn't any other indie record store around here.

no need to worry about chuck...he'll be too busy at the grad or downtown brew freakin lil 17 year old chicks...cool guy though.

does he really freak the schoolgirls?

BlueDevil50
07-07-2008, 08:41 AM
haha chuck looooooooooves to party and the lil groupie chicks from around here love him. so basically, ya he gets down. it's funny each time i talk to one of my buddies from slo, there's always a new friend of his that chuck's diddled.

bakersfield
07-07-2008, 08:49 AM
anyone from or live there?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/1728657_a7b0a6b5ab.jpg?v=0

My wife & I graduated from Cal Poly.
I love the Central Coast. Part of me wishes I still lived there now.
Although I think I would probably really miss the benefits of a big city nearby.

I used to see some good shows at the old DK's West Indies Bar (now Big Sky Cafe)-- Camper Van Beethoven, They Might Be Giants, Chris Isaak, to name a few.

SLO has a restaurant with one of the best names....MEE HENG LOW.

marooko
07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
haha chuck looooooooooves to party and the lil groupie chicks from around here love him. so basically, ya he gets down. it's funny each time i talk to one of my buddies from slo, there's always a new friend of his that chuck's diddled.

thats too funny man. i love it. fucking weirdo.

BlueDevil50
07-07-2008, 09:06 AM
tell me about it...i still love the dude though since he makes himself so approachable. just always think it's crazy going into a bar and seeing the ex ufc champ standing there and I'M bigger than him, just a different perspective.

bakersfield
07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
tell me about it...i still love the dude though since he makes himself so approachable. just always think it's crazy going into a bar and seeing the ex ufc champ standing there and I'M bigger than him, just a different perspective.

I know Chuck graduated from Poly in 95.
He still lives in SLO?

BlueDevil50
07-07-2008, 09:11 AM
yep...haven't seen him out and about as i used to but he's still definitely there.

marooko
07-07-2008, 09:12 AM
ive heard him interviewed a few times, always sounds like a decent enough/approachable guy. im not too surprised though that he's in to the youngins'. just makes me laugh.

bakersfield
07-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Go to Gus' Grocery off of Leff Street, the natural spas near Avila Beach, and a great dive bar is Bulls downtown.

I used to enjoy Bulls, but during my most recent visits it was a bit too "rodeo" for me. It used to have great drink prices & a good juke box.

Is Mustang Tavern still there? They used to have 50 cent draft pitchers at happy hour on Friday's (showing my age).

I loved sitting outside at Gus'.
Also liked the nearby Del Monte Cafe for breakfast & lunch.

And of course, the good 'ol Soak & Poke (Sycamore Mineral Springs) out towards Avila.

I gotta admit...I do still miss the pizza at Woodstocks after all these years!

Courtney
07-07-2008, 06:19 PM
I have only visited a couple times, but I do love the San Luis Obispo area.

Hearst Castle in San Simeon is totally whacked out, in a good way.

The Big Sky Cafe in SLO serves yummy food.

I found a gorgeous second edition Catcher In The Rye with in-tact dust jacket at Leon's Books in SLO for way cheap.

Paso Robles has the least pretentious wine tastings ever.

I am in love with the inn owners and their dog at Bridge Street Inn in Cambria, and it also happens to be a way cheap place to stay.

bakersfield
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Paso Robles has the least pretentious wine tastings ever.

You are right about that...going wine tasting on the Central Coast blows Napa/Sonoma away!

I really like Tobin James Winery out on Highway 46.

tessalasset
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
I went to Cal Poly for my freshman year of college and eventually despised living there. It is a gorgeous, fresh and clean area, but I got so bored so quickly. Which might just be a testament to my imagination more than anything. I lived in one of the transfer dorms, which, while way bigger than most of the dorms and felt much more like an apartment complex than a dorm, the way it was set up isolated you from everyone except the eight people you shared a bathroom with. So I didn't meet many people that year. It seemed like the only two things to do in SLO are either to get fucking WASTED and skanky every weekend, or join the campus crusade for Jesus or whatever it was called. I tried to go into town as much as I could, but only so many good rock shows came through SLO Brew. I loved Cheap Thrills until it shut down. Boo Boos ended up being my savior. Firestones was delicious but I never had enough money to go there. I got so bored and depressed and lonely living there for one year that I quickly moved back to LA as soon as the school year finished. I don't have good lasting memories of San Luis Obispo.

Altho prior to my college years, my grandparents used to bring us up to the Apple Farm once a year as little kids and we'd play with our American Girl dolls in the stream behind the hotel and get fresh made ice cream at the mill. I LOVED Apple Farm as a kid. It lost its charm after living next to it for a year.

San Luis is a great place to visit for a weekend, but hell to live in if you're used to a big city with options.

bigc1
07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Cheap Thrills is still there

I live in AG. The scenery, food & wine are great, but it is a boring area to reside in.

I met Chuck at a show in SLO Brew, he's a really nice guy.

bakersfield
07-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I went to Cal Poly for my freshman year of college and eventually despised living there. It is a gorgeous, fresh and clean area, but I got so bored so quickly. Which might just be a testament to my imagination more than anything. I lived in one of the transfer dorms, which, while way bigger than most of the dorms and felt much more like an apartment complex than a dorm, the way it was set up isolated you from everyone except the eight people you shared a bathroom with. So I didn't meet many people that year. It seemed like the only two things to do in SLO are either to get fucking WASTED and skanky every weekend, or join the campus crusade for Jesus or whatever it was called. I tried to go into town as much as I could, but only so many good rock shows came through SLO Brew. I loved Cheap Thrills until it shut down. Boo Boos ended up being my savior. Firestones was delicious but I never had enough money to go there. I got so bored and depressed and lonely living there for one year that I quickly moved back to LA as soon as the school year finished. I don't have good lasting memories of San Luis Obispo.

Altho prior to my college years, my grandparents used to bring us up to the Apple Farm once a year as little kids and we'd play with our American Girl dolls in the stream behind the hotel and get fresh made ice cream at the mill. I LOVED Apple Farm as a kid. It lost its charm after living next to it for a year.

San Luis is a great place to visit for a weekend, but hell to live in if you're used to a big city with options.

It is remote & not for everyone.
Although I loved going to college there and get nostalgic for the area at times. I think I would go nuts living there now--without my major sports & music at my fingertips.
During my college days, it was a BIG step up from my hometown of Bakersfield :).

Where did you end up going to college after Poly?

tessalasset
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM
I came home and went to Santa Monica College which I loved. I think the big "college years" thing isn't for me. I loved SMC cause I could just roll up, go to class, and leave and get on with my life outside school.

Cal Poly was a huge change for me. I grew up in LA so I'm a big city girl, but I went to a teeny tiny private school here. Then I moved to St. Louis for high school so I lived in a smaller, slower city but still did the tiny private school thing. And then I moved to SLO and for the first time went to a giant public school. Not that Cal Poly is huge relatively speaking, but it was huge for me. I know that was part of the problem, too. Not knowing anyone. I only went there because my sister went there at the time too. So I had no motivation for being there, I hated most of my classes, I totally fucked up my college career, and I know that had to have rubbed off on my overall view of SLO.

Did Cheap Thrills shut down for a while? Or move? Cause I remember about halfway through my year there (2002-2003 school year) the big ass store closed and I was shocked.

algunz
07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Does anybody remember the club that was a converted radio station on the hill? You could take a party bus to the top.

matildawong
07-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Yes.... I think I do. Was it open during the early 90s?

bigc1
07-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Did Cheap Thrills shut down for a while? Or move? Cause I remember about halfway through my year there (2002-2003 school year) the big ass store closed and I was shocked.

I believe it did go away for a year or less, then they moved to Higuera with Captain Nemo's. Still prefer it over Boo Boos

algunz
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Yes.... I think I do. Was it open during the early 90s?

Yeah, I didn't have the privilege, but my husband took a seat on the party bus many a time. Sounds like fun. He can't remember what it was called. (You know, memory is the 2nd thing to go.)

bakersfield
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Does anybody remember the club that was a converted radio station on the hill? You could take a party bus to the top.

Yes...believe it or not, I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers play there in 1984

algunz
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
What the fuck was it called?

bakersfield
07-08-2008, 10:29 PM
What the fuck was it called?

At one point it was the Breakers...driving me crazy trying to remember what it was called back in the day.

algunz
07-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Is this the place that had the hanging, purple cow?

algunz
07-08-2008, 10:49 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/izzy/IMG_0965.jpg

bakersfield
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
That is a great picture!

Did you go to Poly?

algunz
07-08-2008, 10:59 PM
No, my husband did, but we've spent lots of time up there. I love the central coast.
I'd move in a second . . . if it made sense.

Courtney
07-08-2008, 11:15 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee218/alessandragunz/izzy/IMG_0965.jpg

This is all kinds of adorable. Although it's almost so cute that it looks a little bit like one of those generic inserts that new frames always have.

algunz
07-08-2008, 11:20 PM
We're taking care of Rocky (the dog) for a week. I think we're screwed. Mom and dad are gonna have to give in and get Izzy a pet. How could you not, right?

Courtney
07-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Labs are the best. I'd say it's pretty much already a done deal.

algunz
07-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah, happily screwed.

bakersfield
07-08-2008, 11:30 PM
No, my husband did, but we've spent lots of time up there. I love the central coast.
I'd move in a second . . . if it made sense.

Over the years I have really held SLO on a high pedistal & always thought I had to find a way to end up back there. Only recently both my wife & I have realized that if we went back it would not be the same & we would probably be bored out of our minds after a while.
But what a great spot it is!

Mr. Dylanja
07-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Is SLO the place with the really good Little League team?

algunz
07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
I recognize that SLO is slow and we've worried about that, but it's not that far from SF or LA and I think we'de learn to acclimate. Regardless -it's beautiful, has great trails, and there's no more perfect weather.

bakersfield
07-09-2008, 08:27 AM
I recognize that SLO is slow and we've worried about that, but it's not that far from SF or LA and I think we'de learn to acclimate. Regardless -it's beautiful, has great trails, and there's no more perfect weather.

It would offer a pretty damn good quality of life.
But it would take a bit to get used to again....

What part of the OC are you in?

algunz
07-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Rustin' in Tustin

bakersfield
07-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Rustin' in Tustin

Life in suburbia...gotta love it :) !!

miscorrections
07-09-2008, 09:02 PM

Hey here's a thought don't move there because we don't want you anyway.

fatbastard
07-11-2008, 07:36 AM
The slow life is what attracts me to this area. Traffic, voice mails, distribution lists, waiting in line for gas or groceries or the movies can get a bit much. I feel like an ant manuvering around more than a human.

It's the potential of what I could accomplish with myself that scares me.

On a side note, I love going to Vons in Ventura and picking up local wine. It's cheaper than trying it by the glass in restaurants.

miscorrections
07-11-2008, 08:35 AM
I love how much people assume. There is still traffic. You still wait in line for shit. Maybe not as much, but it's not like some idyllic wild or anything.

miscorrections
07-11-2008, 08:36 AM
And most people don't accomplish anything there, they sit around and bitch and moan about not having shit to do and then they go out and drive very poorly to Starbucks and then bitch and moan there.