PDA

View Full Version : The Long-Awaited Coachella 2008 Article

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Alright dorks, so yes it's about 9 weeks too late but here's the first proofed full-length version of the gonzo-form piece I wrote for a UK festivals website. I just finally sent it in to the poor bastard who's going to have to edit the thing down to some kind of remotely postable length. Naturally I decided to make you whores try to slog your way through the whole thing, especially since I have no clue how he's going to get this down to 5 pages or what will be left when he's done.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2TGWMYRG

zenidogx
07-06-2008, 11:48 AM
i think no one is responding to this in order to avoid getting caught up with your bs. or maybe everyone has you on ignore. either way, i don't know any better.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm140/maximpwc/fail_holythumbnail.jpg

full on idle
07-06-2008, 11:55 AM
5+ pages of gonzo form rambling. Board's been waiting so long. Edge of seats.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 11:59 AM
please please stop fucking bastardizing the term gonzo. it fucking stood for something. something you, randy, are not.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 12:01 PM
God you're unbelievably ignorant. There is absolutely nothing inaccurate about calling this gonzo, you should probably look it up before you go spouting off like you have a fucking clue.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 12:05 PM
in randy's reality, everything he says is automatically truth, regardless of history, science, or otherwise.

you know, sometimes I'm actually jealous of you. you live your entire life in a delusional bubble of self-satisfaction.

I've said it like ten times today:
have fun when your fragile duality comes crashing down around you.
the longer you live this lie, the more it will hurt when it happens.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Yes, you have said it ten times today, will you ever shut the fuck up is the question. And here's some education for you since you apparently have no reservations about jumping up to tell people they're wrong about subjects you clearly don't understand:

Gonzo journalism is a style of journalism which is written subjectively, often including the reporter as part of the story via a first person narrative. The style tends to blend factual and fictional elements to emphasize an underlying message and engage the reader

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
5+ pages of gonzo form rambling. Board's been waiting so long. Edge of seats.

24 pages in fact, Foi.

What was that? Did I hear you start salivating when you heard it was almost 5 times as long?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

BROKENDOLL
07-06-2008, 12:18 PM
5+ pages of gonzo form rambling. Board's been waiting so long. Edge of seats. After surviving the combined total of almost 15,000 posts of gonzo form rambling, I've had enough. Who wants my seat?

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 12:19 PM
yes. that's right.
and your article
a) had no underlying message (other than "I'm an ignorant tool who thinks that justice is the future")
b) had no fictional elements, other than your utterly fabricated accounts of the specifics of the performance (the guitarists' shortcomings, etc).
c) certainly didn't engage me, the reader, even though I disagreed.

your opinions were unsupported. you didn't even back them up with subjective filler. you wrote it exactly like a high school five paragraph essay, except you were on drugs and not enjoying what you saw, so it came out with a vaguely stream-of-thought feel, and then you decided somehow that constitutes gonzo journalism.

I'd just put you on ignore if it didn't make it impossible to follow what's happening on this board.

BROKENDOLL
07-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Gonzo journalism is a style of journalism which is written subjectively, often including the reporter as part of the story via a first person narrative. The style tends to blend factual and fictional elements to emphasize an underlying message and engage the reader
You should probably present it with a cover page for enlightenment... I'm thinking a sheet of your acid would do the trick.

zenidogx
07-06-2008, 12:30 PM
yes. that's right.
and your article
a) had no underlying message (other than "I'm an ignorant tool who thinks that justice is the future")
b) had no fictional elements, other than your utterly fabricated accounts of the specifics of the performance (the guitarists' shortcomings, etc).
c) certainly didn't engage me, the reader, even though I disagreed.

your opinions were unsupported. you didn't even back them up with subjective filler. you wrote it exactly like a high school five paragraph essay, except you were on drugs and not enjoying what you saw, so it came out with a vaguely stream-of-thought feel, and then you decided somehow that constitutes gonzo journalism.

I'd just put you on ignore if it didn't make it impossible to follow what's happening on this board.

frozen pilgrim just owned randy

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
This is officially the densest gaggle of idiots for one day on the board I've ever seen. a) and b) are both just completely inaccurate, as will happen when you try to critique something you didn't read. c) is not a requirement for the style, it's one of the common reasons for employing subjective first-person.

Gonzo journalism is any piece written in the first-person with the reporter actively participating in the story. Wouldn't think I'd have to clear that up seeing as I already posted a definition, but there you go. Alright, let's add xeni to ignore. Actually I kinda like this. You retards are lining up to identify yourselves as useless sacks of skin, makes it much easier to thin out the ranks on this sad, pathetic state of the board.

BROKENDOLL
07-06-2008, 12:39 PM
frozen pilgrim just owned randy http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k41/captainjazz1/CHEERING-CROWD-WEB.jpg

BROKENDOLL
07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
This is officially the densest gaggle of idiots for one day on the board I've ever seen. a) and b) are both just completely inaccurate, as will happen when you try to critique something you didn't read. c) is not a requirement for the style, it's one of the common reasons for employing subjective first-person.

Gonzo journalism is any piece written in the first-person with the reporter actively participating in the story. Wouldn't think I'd have to clear that up seeing as I already posted a definition, but there you go. Alright, let's add xeni to ignore. Actually I kinda like this. You retards are lining up to identify yourselves as useless sacks of skin, makes it much easier to thin out the ranks on this sad, pathetic state of the board. Yada,yada,yada, blah, blah, blah...

zenidogx
07-06-2008, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=RotationSlimWang;666288]Alright, let's add xeni to ignore. QUOTE]

i think he means me. if i'm not ignored yet, randy you ignorant slut, it's Zeni.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 12:51 PM
come on now, randy's been smoking crack again, he's in no fit condition to read

Cpt. Funkaho
07-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Randy, I don't mean to pile on here, but I'm five pages into this damned thing and it's reading like the Livejournal post of someone who went to the festival immediately after finishing Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. It even starts the same way, with the catalog of drugs.

Does it get any better, or should I just adjust my expectations accordingly?

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Huh, I didn't even think about that in the opening paragraph. Aside from that I'm not sure what else you see as being so objectionably similar. Seems to me that any time you write something about a vacation involving a lot of drugs, people are going to make that comparison. Regardless, that's what my Coach consisted of so I don't know what to tell you. Good point about the opening sentence though, I think I'll bounce the inventory back some.

As far as does it get any better... I dunno, really. It doesn't get drug-free anytime soon, if that's what you mean. I assembled this in a couple of blurry weekend evenings several weeks apart, my perception of the piece as a whole is completely fucked. Hence why I just handed the whole thing over to the editor to fuck with. You tell me, Funk. Or if it's really unbearable, bail.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 01:11 PM
adjust your expectations.
despite randy's claim, I DID read it. un-fucking-fortunately.

full on idle
07-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Take it easy, pilgrim.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Take it easy, pilgrim.

more spaghetti western gold!

Mr.Nipples
07-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Zj8u3F9LnN0&hl=en&fs=1

bug on your lip
07-06-2008, 01:33 PM
gMbsZU83ajc

Mr.Nipples
07-06-2008, 01:44 PM
ZAY83HIL-Jg&hl=en&fs=1

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 01:48 PM
... I can'tbelieve those are real. they're awesome though. especially the bail bonds one.

menikmati
07-06-2008, 01:50 PM
0ozdGo-UGX4

bug on your lip
07-06-2008, 01:57 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l170/bugonyourlip/RandySThompson.jpg

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 01:58 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l170/bugonyourlip/RandySThompson.jpg

:pulse :rotfl

Mr.Nipples
07-06-2008, 02:00 PM
hey randy, that washer will handle "family sized loads"

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Way to enthrall the monkeys, Bug.

Cpt. Funkaho
07-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Finished it. It didn't get a great deal "better" in any journalistic sense, but I felt like you did a much better job at describing your concert experiences than you did at trying to convey what your Coachella drug experience is like to people who aren't familiar... whether it's unintentional plagiarism or just the fact that Hunter S. Thompson did it so well, the drug-related passages felt uncomfortably close to a direct imitation of his writing- particularly when you talk about recreating the "peak" of the previous generation (the passage in Fear & Loathing where he describes being able to see the high-water mark where the wave crested and fell back to the sea is my favorite in the book, and I feel it's as close to the theme as you can get).

In short, I felt like you would have had a much better (and more concise) story if you had just stuck to the music parts. I might disagree with your opinions, but your opinions on music are better-developed than your musings about drugs and interpersonal relationships.

Really, I felt that far and away the best part was the first paragraph of the "epilogue", where you run across one of the fundamental truths of Coachella: once the weekend is over, you never get that festival back, and the truth is that each person's festival is a deeply personal experience, and somehow it's nearly as hard to communicate to someone who WAS there as to someone who wasn't.

Final note: I think it's funny that couched in the middle of a 24-page, single-spaced forum post (although it might get published elsewhere, that's what it feels like to me), there are a couple of lines about a beneficial side effect of acid:
The drug helps you realize that there's just not that much to say 'cause everybody knows what's going on in your heads and it's not like there's any way someone else will understand the gibberish that comes out if you attempt to put it into words.

Indeed.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 02:28 PM
There's a lot of stuff that I'd cut out of it if I was going to do something with it seriously. But editors like feeling useful so I just left about 85 percent of the first draft, then he gets to choose what 5-7 or whatever pages he wants to use--music, Coachella fanaticism, etc.

To a certain extent I don't think that any non-drug people will ever be terribly interested by stories about drug people. But what am I gonna do, tell somebody else's Coachella experience? It ain't for everybody and no, I can't imagine you would quite understand all the acid qualifications. It's a hard thing to wrap your mind around until you've done it. It's definitely over-referenced looking over some of this, hard to notice since I didn't get to go through the whole thing in one sitting and I knew 4/5 of it wouldn't be used anyway.

And yeah, that line is half-intentionally written like that. I like the meta aspect of its babble.

BROKENDOLL
07-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Way to enthrall the monkeys, Bug. http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w18/1BROKENDOLL/laughingchimp.gif

ivankay
07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Nice work in expressing your experience. Sometimes i thought you focused a little too much on opinions of Coachellas past in lieu of more stories about 2008. i'm sure those were in the longer version.

RotationSlimWang
07-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Nice work in expressing your experience. Sometimes i thought you focused a little too much on opinions of Coachellas past in lieu of more stories about 2008. i'm sure those were in the longer version.

Not really, at least not true stories. The long version had much more extremely strange tangents into dramatized imaginary events at 2008. They were largely just endless exercises in stream of consciousness allowed to run too freely. The idea of the piece more than being a straight up direct recap of 2008 was to try to relate what drives people like myself (and you guys, but with any necessary distinctions you want to draw between how you Coachella and how I Coachella) to this kind of fanatical passion. To provide a glimpse of what motivates the diehards and what kind of experience it is for someone who knows the ins and outs thoroughly. So it was mostly that, probably 1/4 to 1/3 my own personal shit (usually drugs, what do you want? They're part of my love), and probably 1/4 wandering discussion of musical and music people trends.

ivankay
07-06-2008, 05:33 PM
i would like to see the group shot before Waters.

Speaking of pictures, just finished editing Portishead and before the night is over, i will have part 3 of Day 2 (http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21113&highlight=ivankay) up.

Backwater
07-06-2008, 06:11 PM
in randy's reality, everything he says is automatically truth, regardless of history, science, or otherwise.

you know, sometimes I'm actually jealous of you. you live your entire life in a delusional bubble of self-satisfaction.

I've said it like ten times today:
have fun when your fragile duality comes crashing down around you.
the longer you live this lie, the more it will hurt when it happens.

Ignorance is bliss.

fatbastard
07-06-2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art/tedpsych1.gif

Somewhat Damaged
07-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Read this earlier tonight, Randy. It is a long read, but it flows pretty well -- I wasn't aware of how long it was taking me. You could definitely ditch the part about Saran wrapping your passenger side door, 'cause nobody gives a fuck. I'm surprised you didn't catch Goldfrapp, considering you were one of the ones drooling over the prospect of hearing "Ooh La La," and it was surprising to see you bash on the Raconteurs when I distinctly recall you citing their inclusion on the bill as setting Coachella above Bonnaroo, calling them something like "Jack White's BETTER band." The way you describe your excruciating experience waiting for Fatboy Slim, along with the amount of space you spend on it, suggests to me that you were molested when you were younger. Why else the vitriol for "old white men everywhere"? I liked what you wrote about Prince, although you overreached your grasp with the following line in your description about Portishead: "A really sexy ghost who'd probably been raped at some point, but sexy nonetheless." Oh, and what happened in '06 when you were watching Yeah Yeah Yeahs? Thanks for sharing.

Yablonowitz
07-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Pulitizer. Why isn't Jann Wenner publishing this?!

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Your sarcasm wounds me, sir.

frozen pilgrim
07-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Ignorance is bliss.

my favorite expression derived form this concept is "tempus fuckit"

wmgaretjax
07-14-2008, 09:29 AM
I got bored half way through... but Randy was right about one thing, this thread is a haven for morons to ignore.