PDA

View Full Version : Bands Who Can't Play Live?

Dreamer4Ever
07-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Forgive the example: I had a passing interest in Coldplay for a while, mostly stemming from their Apple commercial (I am a huge Apple freak).

I looked them up on Youtube, looking for some live concert footage. Well, I found some. And it was boring. Sounded great, but the guys just...kinda...stood there. Or sat there.

This might not be fair of me, maybe they were just having an off day, but have you ever been disappointed by famous artists who turn out to be less-then-stellar live? Who?

TommyboyUNM
07-05-2008, 04:21 PM
I was pretty excited to see The Shins last year at Vegoose. They ended up boring the hell outta me. Their best song was a cover of Pink Floyd's "Breathe in the Air." That's not a good sign when your best song is a cover song. So yeah, pretty disappointed in the band from my hometown, Albuquerque.

bmack86
07-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Shins are fairly boring live, but they are amazing in comparison to Weezer. They seem like they just don't want to be playing whatsoever, and the music reflects that wholesale.

JustSteve
07-05-2008, 04:43 PM
nirvana
sublime

their lead singers are dead, they def. can't play live.

Dreamer4Ever
07-05-2008, 04:58 PM
nirvana
sublime

their lead singers are dead, they def. can't play live.

Bah-dum-TISH!

And Rivers Coumo's lack-of-stage-presence is pretty well known. The guy stands out there like he wishes everyone would just stop staring at him. When your bass player is upstaging you, you are in trouble.

woogie846
07-05-2008, 04:58 PM
The Strokes are terrible live. They had no enthusiasm, no energy, and seemed like they didn't want to be there.

Wheres the beef?
07-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Gogol Bordello suck live. They all just stand there and all the music just comes out like shit when its live. There is no energy, no nothing. Pretty disappointing.

bballarl
07-05-2008, 07:07 PM
The Strokes are terrible live. They had no enthusiasm, no energy, and seemed like they didn't want to be there.

Untrue.

RotationSlimWang
07-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Gogol Bordello suck live. They all just stand there and all the music just comes out like shit when its live. There is no energy, no nothing. Pretty disappointing.

These are supposed to be bands that don't suck on album too, I think. Therefore Gogol is disqualified.

Les Savy Fav.

matsuolost
07-05-2008, 07:08 PM

true

Mr.Nipples
07-05-2008, 07:12 PM
alot of black/death metal bands dont play live.

Dreamer4Ever
07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
How important is it for a band to play well live? I know Rock is largely a studio art (not as bad as pop though), but I've lost interest in a group's sound after learning their live performances suck, thinking if they can't be bothered to actually try and entertain the people who've shelled out money to be there, they were hacks from the beginning.

RotationSlimWang
07-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Well, for people who like going to concerts (which is kinda a lot of this board) the quality of the live performance probably matters quite a bit.

I mean... fucking duh.

Mr. Dylanja
07-05-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm not a fan of Deftones albums that much at all but they are pathetic live.

ThomThom
07-05-2008, 08:29 PM

What? Where did you see them?

Blinken
07-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Les Savy Fav.

I really enjoyed their set at Coach, but that has a lot to do with the front man being a fucking lunatic.

RotationSlimWang
07-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I saw them at The El Rey a few months back. The frontman fucking ruined it for me. I get it, I get it, dude--you're a spontaneous and energetic weirdo. How about you try singing worth half a shit whenever you get done with all the flopping and flailing around? Maybe? Just for a minute? No? Perhaps you should hire somebody else to actually try to sing the songs and you can fully dedicate yourself to being a wild fat ass.

Sushov23
07-05-2008, 08:44 PM

FAIL.

Sushov23
07-05-2008, 08:47 PM
I really enjoyed their set at Coach, but that has a lot to do with the front man being a fucking lunatic.

seconded. The dude gave me a foot massage, it was awesome.

betao
07-05-2008, 08:54 PM
FAIL.

I think he was being sarcastic...

but I could be wrong.

TommyboyUNM
07-05-2008, 08:58 PM
FAIL.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm. It HAS to be sarcasm or it's seriously a double FAIL.

TommyboyUNM
07-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm not a fan of Deftones albums that much at all but they are pathetic live.

Yeah they aren't the most crisp band live, that honor goes to either Tool or My Morning Jacket for me. Deftones were fun to see in a small club, though. The energy was great.

psychic friend
07-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Untrue.

agreed. at least the 4 times I have seen them. I had SO much fun.

:)

Sushov23
07-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I think he was being sarcastic...

but I could be wrong.

i'm thinking it is, but just in case I already set him up with FAIL.

vinylmartyr
07-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I saw Deftones 11 years ago at a small club and weezer at the Music Farm on the Pinkerton tour and they both tore it up.

ThomThom
07-05-2008, 09:08 PM
agreed. at least the 4 times I have seen them. I had SO much fun.

:)

Some of the better moments of my life happened at Strokes shows.

woogie846
07-05-2008, 09:09 PM
What? Where did you see them?

The Gibson Ampitheatre. They sounded fine, but talk about boring.

ThomThom
07-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Oh yeah, both of those shows were a tad less inspiring than say their show in SF at The Concourse or their show at The Troub a few 2 months before.

RotationSlimWang
07-05-2008, 09:18 PM
The Strokes suck period, this is a worthless debate.

Roger Waters.

Sushov23
07-05-2008, 09:18 PM
The Strokes suck period, this is a worthless debate.

Roger Waters.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

RotationSlimWang
07-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Sushov. He's not really a band, but he definitely sucks at life if not live.

Rage.

Sushov23
07-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Rage.

I was talking about the strokes, I've never seen them live so I can't talk about that. On record though the first two are great albums. Plus the 3rd strokes album grew on me. Was this the case for anyone else?

RotationSlimWang
07-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I was talking about the strokes, I've never seen them live so I can't talk about that. On record though the first two are great albums. Plus the 3rd strokes album grew on me. Was this the case for anyone else?

... okay, so you were talking about the Strokes. I don't see what that has to do with what you quoted from me. My stance remains the same--you can't play life.

Sushov23
07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
yeah coming from the biggest INTERNET douche it really means something. You aren't even hard, or so I've heard. Stupid motherfucker.

Stainofmind
07-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Seen Echo and the Bunnymen at BFD 06. I fell asleep during their set.

clumsy342
07-05-2008, 10:46 PM

Rage.

You remind me of a teacher coaching a debate team.
..throwing out random and totally untrue statements so people can argue them.

"Roger Waters was the worst act at Coachella. Debate!"

twat.

RotationSlimWang
07-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I didn't say he was the worst act by any means, I said that band can't play live, and they can't.

Aphex.

Sushov23
07-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm not getting into the whole Aphex Twin debate, because I think I'm the only one who thinks he is fucking overrated. Ok I'm leaving this thread now.

mountmccabe
07-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I saw Deftones 11 years ago at a small club and weezer at the Music Farm on the Pinkerton tour and they both tore it up.

Weezer were even good live as recently as 2001. I wouldn't see them now, though.

Boourns
07-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Over 100 years ago, I got dragged to Steve Miller Band and he couldn't sing in time with the rest of the band. We left after 20 minutes, thankfully.

apostle2
07-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Saw the Shins going in with big expectations, and they totally blew. I liked them enough to give them a second chance at Lolla 06 and they were even worse.

Also, the Police reunion sucked. And when I saw Matthew Sweet he was too drunk to hold his guitar, so that kind of counts.

ThomThom
07-05-2008, 11:52 PM
The Shins are by far one of the worst bands live. I fell asleep or left to go have a smoke or a drink just about every time I have seen them.

sonofhal
07-06-2008, 12:00 AM
The 2 Shins shows i've seen were pretty decent. I was expecting the worst after all the comments i'd read online.

Every time i see the Dandy Warhols live, a little bit of my soul dies. How dull they are. (I actually like their albums quite a lot)

The MGMT album is pretty good, but live? Not so much.

Boourns
07-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Weezer live = the least enthusiastic thing ever

apostle2
07-06-2008, 12:24 AM
I thought MGMT were fantastic live. Maybe I just lucked out and got a good show, but there was great energy both amongst the band and the crowd

dubvulture
07-06-2008, 12:40 AM

i'm assuming this has to be one of the two gibson shows they did for first impressions because the one gibson show they did for room on fire was completely nuts.

PassiveTheory
07-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Bloc Party are fucking dreadful live.

rskapcat
07-06-2008, 04:43 AM

I saw them on the Silent Alarm tour, and I enjoyed the show. But they pretty much just regurgitated their album...they weren't especially entertaining. (My opinion may be a little skewed since my favorite thing about Bloc Party is the drummer, though.)

On the subject of Weezer, I saw them on the Pinkerton tour, and it was very "meh". Rivers didn't look especially pleased to be there. But I suppose if I had to tour the country performing an album that was the lyrical equivalent of letting the world watch me simultaneously cry and masturbate, I would be ready to get off the damn stage, too.

chairmenmeow47
07-06-2008, 09:56 AM
the sublime joke is dead on i'll bet. i never got to see them live because i was like 14 when bradley died, but every live video i've seen is embarrassingly awful. he was always way too fucked to put on a good show it seems.

frozen pilgrim
07-06-2008, 10:02 AM
-melissa auf der maur's solo project was a colossal failure live
-the deftones were awful to the point of outright incoherency.
-good charlotte could not play remotely together
-the mars volta just don't translate well to an arena. seen them twice, from different locations, and it was very pretty to look at, and impossible to listen to. and I love complex, noisy music. but we're talking just impassable mess. them loud+walls to bounce off= D: D: D:

woogie846
07-06-2008, 10:21 AM
i'm assuming this has to be one of the two gibson shows they did for first impressions because the one gibson show they did for room on fire was completely nuts.

Yeah, it was the most recent tour. It was my first time seeing them.

Tylerdurden31
07-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Built to Spill and The Shins kinda bored me at Lolla 06

zenidogx
07-06-2008, 11:32 AM
the raconteurs when brendan benson sings!

jk. i loves them anyways.

annuals. rogue wave.

shoegazer76
07-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Fantastic!, another thread I can tarnish the good name & none existent live talent of the Mars Volta.

zenidogx
07-06-2008, 04:37 PM

duh. i cant believe i forgot to mention these guys. o wait, i do know why i forgot to mention them, because i would like to forget the two times ive seen them live.

Backwater
07-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I've seen the Deftones several times and they are very hit or miss. They played horribly sometimes and great sometimes. Black Sabbath can't really play anymore, they're too old and the energy just isn't there. Same goes for Iron Maiden. Wu-Tang also sucks live.

aeroplanee
07-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Serj Tankian is a trainwreck live

really poor stage presence

but that was my heart entering into it too, so that probably didnt help

TommyboyUNM
07-06-2008, 05:39 PM
I've seen the Deftones several times and they are very hit or miss. They played horribly sometimes and great sometimes. Black Sabbath can't really play anymore, they're too old and the energy just isn't there. Same goes for Iron Maiden. Wu-Tang also sucks live.

"Hit or miss" is the perfect way to describe the Deftones. I attribute it mostly to the state of mind of Chino. He can get really sloppy and it affects the entire show. I've seen them 5 times and he was that way 1 of those times. Any Deftones fan will share similar stories.

Backwater
07-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Serj Tankian is a trainwreck live

really poor stage presence

but that was my heart entering into it too, so that probably didnt help

I don't know what you're talking about because he had great stage presence at Coachella. Yeah, it's not SOAD but you shouldn't expect it to be. SOAD during the 02 Toxicity tour was one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. The more recent tour with the Mars Volta wasn't even close to as good. I think the suckiness of the Mars Volta brings the vibe and energy down the headliner.

airguitarvet
07-06-2008, 08:20 PM
with all honesty, LADYTRON.....
my goodness... i saw them at the fonda and it was lame...
i left early....

orbit
07-06-2008, 08:46 PM
daft punk

airguitarvet
07-06-2008, 09:09 PM
^ oh no you didn't.

airguitarvet
07-06-2008, 09:10 PM
^they dont play live... they play ALIVE....

FakePlasticMe
07-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Ok I'm not sure how no one has mentioned this by now: Modest Mouse.

I've seen them 5 times ranging from Moon and Antarctica --> Good News --> We Were Dead, each time hoping things would be different but it never was. Isaac is always half-drunk, messing up his own lyrics and rushing through his songs. Also, their setlist choices as of late have been terrible.

MGMT.

I had to sit through these clowns 4 times during Of Montreal's last tour against my will and they were mind-numbingly boring. I don't care how good you think they are on record, the proof of any band's talent is their live show.

Bright Eyes.

Perhaps it is because I'm not a big fan to begin with, or maybe it is because I have only seen him in conjunction with The Faint (who are a great live), but I specifically remember at his 05 Coachella set where he introduced a song by saying, withering away in his emo hoodie, "This song inspires even me...the un-inspirable!" Oh Connor...you're so deep...

Airiel Pink

This band wins as the absolute worst band I have ever seen. I saw these guys open for Animal Collective for "Sung Tongs" in Chicago, and the keyboard player actually quit onstage...slamming down his chords and wires as the idiots with 3 mics and reverb stood there like pouting children. Horrible.

paganman7
07-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Silversun Pickups were dreadful in '07.

Derekx
07-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Moving Units are a joke live.

msklvr
07-07-2008, 08:19 AM
XTC can't play live. This makes me sad.

zenidogx
07-07-2008, 08:23 AM
MGMT.

I had to sit through these clowns 4 times during Of Montreal's last tour against my will and they were mind-numbingly boring. I don't care how good you think they are on record, the proof of any band's talent is their live show.

what? where did you see them? i saw the Pomona show and they blew me away. then grand buffet was stupid funny. and Of Montreal was fuckdiculously great. best venue concert for me ever.

FakePlasticMe
07-07-2008, 08:42 AM
what? where did you see them? i saw the Pomona show and they blew me away. then grand buffet was stupid funny. and Of Montreal was fuckdiculously great. best venue concert for me ever.

I saw them play Chicago at The Metro 2 nights in a row (same tour, Hissing Fauna with Grand Buffet), then in Athens for their Halloween show at 40 Watt (correction: I saw them 3 times, not 4). I was on rail for all 3 shows, with a large group of people who all thought they sucked balls live.

zenidogx
07-07-2008, 08:55 AM
don't give in to the group! be an individual!
ah, who the fuck am i kidding. let's just agree to disagree.

i digged the psych-pop dance music and thought the lighting was perfect and fitting. there was some sort of ambiance created that worked for me. i had a blast.

FakePlasticMe
07-07-2008, 09:07 AM
don't give in to the group! be an individual!
ah, who the fuck am i kidding. let's just agree to disagree.

i digged the psych-pop dance music and thought the lighting was perfect and fitting. there was some sort of ambiance created that worked for me. i had a blast.

I was being an individual. No peer pressure required to observe MGMT is a terrible live act.

Young blood
07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
brian jonestown massacre.

BlackSwan
07-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Black Kids ... sloppy, no rhythm, bad singing... horrible.

Plaid ... boring.

BlackSwan
07-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Forgive the example: I had a passing interest in Coldplay for a while, mostly stemming from their Apple commercial (I am a huge Apple freak).

I looked them up on Youtube, looking for some live concert footage. Well, I found some. And it was boring. Sounded great, but the guys just...kinda...stood there. Or sat there.

This might not be fair of me, maybe they were just having an off day, but have you ever been disappointed by famous artists who turn out to be less-then-stellar live? Who?

Forgive it because it's about Coldlplay? or the fact that you are judging a bands live show by the YouTube videos you can pull up, because this looks like a lively performance to me...

OmrflnAE_QM

Young blood
07-07-2008, 09:41 AM
coldplay and Madonna both suck.

BlackSwan
07-07-2008, 09:42 AM
coldplay and Madonna both suck.

so does Aphex Twin... they all suck.

bartelby
07-07-2008, 09:47 AM

Plaid ... boring.

Black Kids were HORRID at coachella....for the 2 mins i watched them i felt like i was back in high school for some brutal band competition

All That I Am
07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
The worst show i've ever attended was Bob Dylan in '05.
I know bob doesn't have a singers voice that wasnt the problem. He didn't even walk onto the stage, he just strolled in and sat in the far left corner of the stage and sang out of time the whole show. The band was trying to match him, but it seemed that every time they got on rhythm he'd fall off again.
His harmonica playing was atrocious and the songs came off sounding nothing like the originals (in a bad way). It was so bad that it took a full thirty seconds for my friend and I to realize he was singing Mr. Tambourine Man.

zenidogx
07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
that coldplay performance is good. i saw them at Kimmel the next day and they were good for maybe 5 out of 6 songs. the problem is their slow songs can drag. except i liked Fix You, as a closer it's solid (and it gets the chicks halfway to the sack).

zenidogx
07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
His harmonica playing was atrocious and the songs came off sounding nothing like the originals (in a bad way). It was so bad that it took a full thirty seconds for my friend and I to realize he was singing Mr. Tambourine Man.

it took me two minutes to realize he was playing All Along the Watchtower. however, his show was good. not the best old fuck to watch live, but still a decent show.

FakePlasticMe
07-07-2008, 10:28 AM
it took me two minutes to realize he was playing All Along the Watchtower. however, his show was good. not the best old fuck to watch live, but still a decent show.

I agree. I saw him in 07 at ACL....knew it wasn't going to be mind-blowing due to his voice decay, age, etc...but it was much worse than I could imagine. He has some phobia about close-ups so my 300th row spot was worsened by the fact that the screens were showing him 20 rows back. I wasn't able to recognize his well-known songs either.

That said, he is Bob Dylan, he is very old and has certainly played the hell out of his gigs in the past. We can't expect him to be the spring chicken he once was. These younger acts are a different story.

And please, for the poster above, do not compare Madonna and Aphex Twin! The two shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

Dreamer4Ever
07-07-2008, 11:22 AM
I realize I'm probably being unfair about Coldplay. I don't really like their stuff anyway, I think they're overproduced and I'm not really a fan of the John Ondrasik style of high-pitched whiny vocals.

It inspired this thread though.

aeroplanee
07-07-2008, 11:27 AM
i was left umimpressed by The Walkmen

great band, just a dull show

FakePlasticMe
07-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I realize I'm probably being unfair about Coldplay. I don't really like their stuff anyway, I think they're overproduced and I'm not really a fan of the John Ondrasik style of high-pitched whiny vocals.

It inspired this thread though.

Yeah, I'm not sure why there is so much Coldplay love on this forum either. I was a fan when I was 20, and I still think "Rush of Blood" was a decent album, but they have become mega superstars to Bono proportions and it shows. You can be massively successful and not come across as a twat. Every live performance I've seen (on TV) since Viva's release has just made me laugh to be honest. I don't know that it is them sounding bad (they don't really) as much as them just looking silly. I want to punch Martin in the face more than I want to sing along with him.

zenidogx
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
my perception of coldplay has changed, but in the opposite direction. i used to think they were whiney bitches trying hard, but now with the success and new album, i think chris martin is handling it very well and coming off as a guy i'd share a laugh with.

amyzzz
07-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I can't say anything bad about Chris Martin. I was a ridiculous little fangirl when I met Coldplay before the show 5 years ago and gave him a flower my friend picked out of her garden, and he freaking put the flower on his piano on stage for the duration of the show. He's too nice.

And I think they're great live.

I agree that Ladytron are sadly lacking live. I would've gone to their recent tour if they stopped by Phoenix because I love them so much, but they skipped us this year.

BlackSwan
07-07-2008, 11:59 AM
my perception of coldplay has changed, but in the opposite direction.

same here, i used to hate them, but the new album actually being good changed my opinion.

i still feel this way though...

I want to punch Martin in the face more than I want to sing along with him.

davrone
07-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Interpol was pretty bad at the Forum last year. They just stood there. No presence whatsoever.

FakePlasticMe
07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=amyzzz;666779]I can't say anything bad about Chris Martin. I was a ridiculous little fangirl when I met Coldplay before the show 5 years ago and gave him a flower my friend picked out of her garden, and he freaking put the flower on his piano on stage for the duration of the show. He's too nice.
[QUOTE]

That's awesome! I met them too 6 years ago (god, I can't believe it was that long ago) before their Milwaukee show, and I ended up getting an aftershow pass from this girl next to me who knew the roadies. The band didn't show, but we got to hang out with the roadies on their bus for a while (just played video games, had a drink, left). They all seem like nice people...that wasn't in question.

That's odd that you guys are bigger fans now after the X + Y atrocity and the mediocre at best Viva la Vida. Parachutes and Rush of Blood were far better albums (in my opinion) and at least back then you could see them at smaller venues.

Boourns
07-07-2008, 12:48 PM
The worst show i've ever attended was Bob Dylan in '05.
I know bob doesn't have a singers voice that wasnt the problem. He didn't even walk onto the stage, he just strolled in and sat in the far left corner of the stage and sang out of time the whole show. The band was trying to match him, but it seemed that every time they got on rhythm he'd fall off again.

Yes, yes! Oh God. If I weren't on shrooms that night I would have killed myself. I am glad I can say that I saw him, but it wasn't worth $140 for a pair of tickets. Plus hotel. "Friend" never paid me back for her ticket. Yeah, I didn't even recognize "Like A Rolling Stone" until it was almost over.

Interpol was pretty bad at the Forum last year. They just stood there. No presence whatsoever.

Yeah, they have zero presence. Paul's voice doesn't sound very good live, either. The music sounds fine, though. But yeah, I wouldn't see them again, especially since their music is getting progressively worse. Seems the whole "let's do a Joy Division tribute 20 years late" is only good for one album.

And Gina, nobody liked Bright Eyes at Coachella 05. Nobody. Wow, that was crap. I ended up sitting in front of the KROQ tent waiting for my ride instead of watching more than 5 minutes of that disaster.

bballarl
07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
XTC can't play live. This makes me sad.

Meaning they suck or they literally can't?

bmack86
07-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Literally can't.

Andy Partridge has crippling stage fright and can't perform songs live without having nervous breakdowns

bballarl
07-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Ah. Maybe he can go to therapy with Green Gartside.

Boourns
07-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Like Cat Power (pre-2006)?

FakePlasticMe
07-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I have to say I disagree with the Interpol hate. Although I am basing this on the Turn on the Bright Lights/Antics tour years. I've only seen them once (at Coachella 07) for Our Love to Admire. Overall, out of around 6 gigs I've seen (the first being at a Chicago street fest for 5 bucks before they were well known), they have been much better than worse.

Are you guys all talking festival performances? If you see them in a dark club (where they are meant to be heard, not in the sunlight with a dude spilling beer on you) they are quite good live...or at least were in their heyday.

Boourns
07-07-2008, 01:24 PM
They were a little better in 2004 but still nothing to write home about, in retrospect.

bmack86
07-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Like Cat Power (pre-2006)?

I saw her during a breakdown performance. She was playing Arthurfest in 2005, and Spoon was too loud on the stage that was semi-close to her. She started playing, decided to just stop and yell at the sound crew for a little bit, cry and walk offstage. I caught the rest of Spoon instead and then saw Sunn O))) put on something of a legendary performance, so her breakdown worked well for me.

FakePlasticMe
07-07-2008, 01:31 PM
And Gina, nobody liked Bright Eyes at Coachella 05. Nobody. Wow, that was crap. I ended up sitting in front of the KROQ tent waiting for my ride instead of watching more than 5 minutes of that disaster.

Plenty of his screaming girly fans were practically thowing their panties! I still don't understand how Coachella (and the promoters for that entire tour) put The Faint first. I realize Bright Eyes is the more critically acclaimed artist (don't get that, but it's true), but The Faint is headliner material. When you have Todd Fink death-metal screaming ("Agenda Suicide") into his microphone with strobe lights and deafening descending into hell synth backed by an ear-shattering drum machine track and seizure-inducing visuals........then frail little Connor drags his feet onstage and mopes around about not getting women it just makes me want to strangle him!

bballarl
07-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah, Cat Power has really improved. I suppose it helps to have a rock band backing you.

Dreamer4Ever
07-08-2008, 01:11 AM
..then frail little Connor drags his feet onstage and mopes around about not getting women it just makes me want to strangle him!

That sort of aesthetic really appeals to some people. I donno, maybe the Emo thing will make sense in retrospect: I seem to recall people viewed Prog Rock with a certain amount of befuddlement back when it was big...

FakePlasticMe
07-08-2008, 07:29 AM
That sort of aesthetic really appeals to some people. I donno, maybe the Emo thing will make sense in retrospect: I seem to recall people viewed Prog Rock with a certain amount of befuddlement back when it was big...

I am fine with that aesthetic when it is done right. If Connor could sing maybe I'd be into it more. The man's lyrics are decent, for sure, but his voice reminds me of the singer from Soul Asylum.

bmack86
07-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Plenty of his screaming girly fans were practically thowing their panties! I still don't understand how Coachella (and the promoters for that entire tour) put The Faint first. I realize Bright Eyes is the more critically acclaimed artist (don't get that, but it's true), but The Faint is headliner material. When you have Todd Fink death-metal screaming ("Agenda Suicide") into his microphone with strobe lights and deafening descending into hell synth backed by an ear-shattering drum machine track and seizure-inducing visuals........then frail little Connor drags his feet onstage and mopes around about not getting women it just makes me want to strangle him!

Because that's how they billed it, and Bright Eyes is bigger than the Faint. Also, it was how they had been touring that setup. The Faint played, and then they did Digital Ash stuff with Bright Eyes.

SFChrissy
07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
coldplay and Madonna both suck.For sure!!!

And as much as I love them...morcheeba kinda sucked at the fillmore...

Dreamer4Ever
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I am fine with that aesthetic when it is done right. If Connor could sing maybe I'd be into it more. The man's lyrics are decent, for sure, but his voice reminds me of the singer from Soul Asylum.

To me he just sounds like he's about to burst into tears at any moment. He's always choked up with emotion. That's fine I guess, but eventually I'd like to find out if that's a deliberate choice or if that's all he can do.

Sgt. Bilko
07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Built to Spill and The Shins kinda bored me at Lolla 06

Last couple of times (including Sasquatch) i've seen Built To Spill, they were absolutely wretched. I love their albums, but christ, they are extremely boring live. I get the whole "slacker" thing, and i don't know if this is what they're trying to do, but I want my money's worth if I make the effort to come see someone.

bballarl
07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
The worst concert I have ever been to was Mos Def.

PassiveTheory
07-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Definitely going to disagree with a few of the suggestions tossed up here so far, especially concerning Interpol and the Shins.

Both times I've seen Interpol, especially the Independence Jam show from last year, they've been brilliant, mainly because the light crew they had (although the light set-up for their 05' show at the OAT was much better) puts on a great show, but also Alex's little dance swerve and how during one song (can't remember which) they all pause mid song and freeze while Carlos D lights up a cigarette before going full blast into the rest of the song. They do the little things live that make for a good show.

As for the Shins? Well, I just think the fact they do a faithful recreation of their recorded material live is good enough for me, but from a musician's stand point I'm also deeply impressed by how the various members of the band switch instruments (since they have no concrete bassist) between songs. Yeah James Mercer isn't one to converse between songs, but sometimes I like it when frontmen just shut the hell up and sing (for example: when Ben Gibbard and Chris Walla opened their traps at the Death Cab show at Coachella). The Shins are nothing special, but boring and completely uninteresting? Hardly. Plus the guys look like they're enjoying themselves on-stage (especially Dave), and that's enough for me to qualify as a good performance.

But yeah, another band to add on this list: Happy Mondays. I wish I could have seen them in the 90s and not the awful 2007 version.

zenidogx
07-10-2008, 06:52 PM
i thought Ghostface was boring in 07

PassiveTheory
07-10-2008, 06:55 PM
What about the naked guy during his set?

zenidogx
07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
after a couple songs i took a nap.
i missed that, luckily.

Boourns
07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
No Doubt

woogie846
07-10-2008, 07:12 PM
i was left umimpressed by The Walkmen

great band, just a dull show

Agreed, they were very boring in '06.

Backwater
07-10-2008, 08:45 PM
i thought Ghostface was boring in 07

Hip hop just does not translate live. It's a studio genre. Unless it's freestyle battle, there is absolutely no point to live hip hop, especially fast, crazy rapping like Ghostface. Although, I did like the band he was with at Vegoose.

zenidogx
07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
depends.
i've seen few hip hop shows, but i could say that Murs, Busdriver, and Atmosphere are good live.

algunz
07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
No Doubt

I totally disagree. I think they are better live. Gwen is a great performer.

Sushov23
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
murs is one of the few rappers I've seen that can bring it live. Pharoahe Monch is another, Talib kweli. Someone named Jay-Z is also pretty much a big deal live.

Backwater
07-11-2008, 12:10 AM
All great rappers can "bring it" live obviously, that's why they're great. The genre just isn't a live genre plain and simple. No instruments besides a mic = not much of a live show no matter how famous the rapper is and how much he insists that you wave your hands in the air.

betao
07-11-2008, 06:40 AM
The worst concert I have ever been to was Mos Def.

really? what was so bad about it? i ask because i'm seeing him in august.

MissingPerson
07-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Desperately disappointed by Muse. Underwhelmed by Radiohead. They brought their music brilliantly, it's just that they had absolutely zero presence on stage. Clinic, yeesh.

TommyboyUNM
07-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Desperately disappointed by Muse. Underwhelmed by Radiohead. They brought their music brilliantly, it's just that they had absolutely zero presence on stage. Clinic, yeesh.

Why were you disappointed by Muse? That is, to date, the best concert I've ever seen.

MissingPerson
07-11-2008, 07:50 AM
They had a good light show, but they absolutely failed to seriously engage their audience. They put in a solid set, but my friends had seen them before and kept telling me they were the greatest thing since life on land, but... I dunno. I've enjoyed shitty bar bands more, because they understood their audience wanted more than just competently played music, you know?

They're great musicians and all, but it felt like they were playing for their own benefit rather than ours, if that makes sense. Like, if we hadn't been there, I don't think they would have played any differently. They might as well have been in a completely different dimension to us.

TommyboyUNM
07-11-2008, 08:01 AM
They had a good light show, but they absolutely failed to seriously engage their audience. They put in a solid set, but my friends had seen them before and kept telling me they were the greatest thing since life on land, but... I dunno. I've enjoyed shitty bar bands more, because they understood their audience wanted more than just competently played music, you know?

They're great musicians and all, but it felt like they were playing for their own benefit rather than ours, if that makes sense. Like, if we hadn't been there, I don't think they would have played any differently. They might as well have been in a completely different dimension to us.

Yeah, that makes sense. I can see how that would disappoint you if that's what you're looking for in a show. I guess I felt like there was audience involvement all 5 times I've seen them, even if Matt Bellamy didn't prompt any of it. It was just a wild atmosphere. And at Red Rocks.....amazing.

amyzzz
07-11-2008, 08:02 AM
I can see that too. Muse are definitely talented, but I can see how sometimes they might appear full of themselves.

MissingPerson
07-11-2008, 08:04 AM
To be entirely fair, I saw them closing a night at a festival rather than one of their own shows. I'd rolled out of Queens of the Stone Age set, who had been rocking my face from close proximity, and Muse just didn't bring the same degree of fun or engagement to me.

TommyboyUNM
07-11-2008, 08:05 AM
MissingPerson, I also need to ask about Radiohead. I've never heard anything but rave reviews. I'm losing my Radiohead virginity next month and I've never looked forward to a concert as much in my life. Why was it underwhelming for you?

MissingPerson
07-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Same reason as Muse, I think. People tell you seeing them live is the greatest thing in their whole life, but they don't bring any "OOMPH!" to the occasion. There's no sense of "OMG, I'm bearing witness!" I didn't feel like I was experiencing anything I was going to be talking about when I was old and incontinent.

Radiohead are a tremendous band, and I don't dispute that, but I didn't think they brought anything to the stage other than a technically excellent reproduction of their music. It might as well have been a bunch of dudes who look really like Radiohead, while some great Radiohead music played. Like, for the sake of the €70 I spent on the ticket, I got a good show. But don't feel a really pressing need to ever see them play again. I'd rather spend 20 quid on Man Man.

TommyboyUNM
07-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Same reason as Muse, I think. People tell you seeing them live is the greatest thing in their whole life, but they don't bring any "OOMPH!" to the occasion. There's no sense of "OMG, I'm bearing witness!" I didn't feel like I was experiencing anything I was going to be talking about when I was old and incontinent.

Radiohead are a tremendous band, and I don't dispute that, but I didn't think they brought anything to the stage other than a technically excellent reproduction of their music. It might as well have been a bunch of dudes who look really like Radiohead, while some great Radiohead music played. Like, for the sake of the 70 I spent on the ticket, I got a good show. But don't feel a really pressing need to ever see them play again. I'd rather spend 20 quid on Man Man.

Hmm. Thanks for the input. I'm still ridiculously excited to see Radiohead. If Muse and Radiohead disappointed you, and Muse was the best concert I've ever seen, then the logical progression......means great things for me :)

MissingPerson
07-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Don't get me wrong, they were great, and I'm glad I saw 'em. Just don't go in expecting to come out speaking tongues or wanting a Thom Yorke tattoo or anything. :D

woogie846
07-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Hip hop just does not translate live. It's a studio genre. Unless it's freestyle battle, there is absolutely no point to live hip hop, especially fast, crazy rapping like Ghostface. Although, I did like the band he was with at Vegoose.

Some hip hop is great live. The Coup on Sunday at Coachella '07 was one of my favorites of the weekend. Maybe that's because he had a band backing him up.

TommyboyUNM
07-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Some hip hop is great live. The Coup on Sunday at Coachella '07 was one of my favorites of the weekend. Maybe that's because he had a band backing him up.

I think for hip-hop to be good live, there needs to be a backing band. That's what makes The Roots, arguably, the best live hip-hop group around. Last year, I saw Wu-Tang Clan and Public Enemy back to back. Wu-Tang was pretty average at best. Public Enemy, though, was really damn good. It's because they had a band backing them up. I'm sorry, but hip-hop doesn't usually translate well in concert.

eudaemonia
07-11-2008, 08:43 AM

I totally agree with this... and I am a big Muse fan and would buy a ticket to see them live again. It's a case of just enjoying hearing their songs live and getting crazy with the fans in the pit (if at all).

amyzzz
07-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I hope Radiohead are "on" at APW.

jigsaw
07-11-2008, 08:58 AM
MUSE at Vegoose right? I thought they were sick live. I just sat in the grass against the fence and smoked mad joints. There was no light show but they were one helluva an opening band for Rage Against the Machine. I am just really kicking myself for missing UNKLE. UNKLE's cd War Stories has really become a favorite of mine.

jigsaw
07-11-2008, 09:00 AM
J5 = best live hip hop...arguably : )

TommyboyUNM
07-11-2008, 09:17 AM
MUSE at Vegoose right? I thought they were sick live. I just sat in the grass against the fence and smoked mad joints. There was no light show but they were one helluva an opening band for Rage Against the Machine. I am just really kicking myself for missing UNKLE. UNKLE's cd War Stories has really become a favorite of mine.

I was at that show (Rage is my favorite band). That was one of the rare stripped-down shows that Muse has done in the past few years. And they still had non-fans singing their praises.

chairmenmeow47
07-11-2008, 09:21 AM
i thought muse was an awesome live act. i really love muse though.

bballarl
07-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Has anyone mentioned Black Kids yet? They were fucking horrendously awful at Coachella.

amyzzz
07-11-2008, 09:47 AM

Plaid ... boring.
There you go, Andrew

TommyboyUNM
07-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Has anyone mentioned Black Kids yet? They were fucking horrendously awful at Coachella.

Haha, I haven't herad one good thing about them. I have a friend who lived in Jacksonville and she would rave about them. Probably just because she's friends with them. I've never had the urge to listen to them.

downingthief
07-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm pretty forgiving, when it comes to live acts. I don't need banter, flashy lights, etc. Just want to sense that the performer is really "feeling" the music, in their own way. Some move around a lot, some don't. I'd rather see a performer stand there and emote (if that's their thing) than force themselves to dance around like a jackass.

So, really don't have a lot of acts that I can say suck live. As far as Coachella performances, I can say that Bright Eyes does absolutely nothing for me. I really can't place it...he just comes off as a whiny little bitch to me.

I saw the Shins the last time through in Phoenix, and I enjoyed it. I went with a friend who saw them prior, and he said the second show was much better. He said the first time he saw them, the set list was much more mellow.

bballarl
07-11-2008, 09:55 AM
They are a victim of the blogs blowing them up to a level of success they aren't ready for as performers. I feel kind of bad in that sense. There was no natural progression for them as performers.

Meaning Black Kids.

amyzzz
07-11-2008, 09:57 AM
I like some stage banter if it is done well. Points go to Emily Haines and Chris Martin on that score.

eudaemonia
07-11-2008, 10:07 AM
I like some stage banter if it is done well. Points go to Emily Haines and Chris Martin on that score.

Same here. I like how Gary Lightbody does it. We Are Scientists can be a bit out there tho (still, one of my top bands).

bmack86
07-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Muse and Radiohead are piss poor additions here. They can play live. They can play exceedingly well live. They are not slouches.

Mindless Self Indulgence can't play live. The guitar player barely knew his parts.

MissingPerson
07-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Emily Haines doesn't belong in this thread. :D

That's what I mean though, Haines is a naturally terrific performer in a way that Matt Bellamy will never, ever get the hang of. She's just got an instinct for it, solo or with Metric (... so long as she's in the right mood. Bad shows are rare, but if Emily's off, you know about it).

Anyway, a band like Metric might not necessarily be the most universally outstanding band on the face of the earth, but when they're on stage, they give you your fucking money's worth. No gimmicks or lightshows required, they just put on a great live show, and it comes naturally to them. I don't think it does come naturally for somebody like Thom Yorke, and I don't think it ever will.

jigsaw
07-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I thought Sara and Tegan were horrible at Coachella. Just saying. Way too much banter and just boring.

The banter during Metric was fun. She kept it moving.

Sonicifyouwantit
07-11-2008, 10:23 AM

when I saw them at the joint in vegas for their second album I really thought they did a good job, as matter of fact my friend told chris that they were way better than he expected........yeah I just stood in shame for a moment and then when we walked away we couldnt stop laughing. you should have seen chris' face...kinda like a "thanks, I think." expression.

bmack86
07-11-2008, 10:40 AM
I'd agree with Tegan and Sara. I don't like their music, and they couldn't perform it well live in 2005. I've no desire to step foot near them again.

The only reason I did in the first place was to get a good spot for the Arcade Fire, who can perform very well.

amyzzz
07-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Same here. I like how Gary Lightbody does it. We Are Scientists can be a bit out there tho (still, one of my top bands).
Yeah, and Gary brings the fuckin energy. I remember the first time I saw Snow Patrol live they were supposed to play a short free show at ASU. I took time off work to go see that and to go to their regular night-time show. They skipped out on the free show because they were hungover (I think), but man, they really made up for it that night. Stellar.

Boourns
07-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Depeche Mode in 2006? That was a yawner.

Sonicifyouwantit
07-11-2008, 11:21 AM

especially since it preceded daft punk

woogie846
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Agreed. I was in the shade area in front of the food court, and I was pretty bored watching them.

chairmenmeow47
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
i agree about the depeche mode set. it was all the really slow, boring, bedroom type stuff too. the only reason i ended up enjoying it was that towards the end, my friend from new york finally found me and we got to make out, so it kinda ended up being the perfect soundtrack. i was actually packing my bag and standing up to go wait for daft punk when he found me cause i was so bored, lol.

i saw them in 2005 in glendale, az though and it was a great show. i flipped out when they played everything counts.

boarderwoozel3
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
American Bang. First act I saw at coachella 08, horrid.

The Teenagers. A month before coachella. Fucking yawn.

Super Furry Animals. Boring.

Reel Big Fish. Caught them live once... never again.

Memorial_07
07-12-2008, 08:45 AM
My Morning Jacket.
Or they just couldn't pull it off at coachella.

And cold war kids are pretty bad live.

TommyboyUNM
07-12-2008, 09:02 AM
My Morning Jacket.
Or they just couldn't pull it off at coachella.

And cold war kids are pretty bad live.

I think it's probably that MMJ couldn't pull it off at Coachella. I saw their 4-hour, late-night set at Bonnaroo and it was the polar opposite of the video I saw of their Coachella performance. Their Roo show was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. That sucks to give a band like MMJ one hour while it's still light out. I don't think Coachella got the real experience.

bmack86
07-12-2008, 09:45 AM
MMJ were great at Coachella. Who were you guys watching?

rskapcat
07-12-2008, 10:02 AM

Agreed.

frozen pilgrim
07-12-2008, 10:05 AM
I thought they were great, too.
I actually thought their sound was beautiful in a space big enough for it.
and the sunset was so beautiful.

Memorial_07
07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I think it's probably that MMJ couldn't pull it off at Coachella. I saw their 4-hour, late-night set at Bonnaroo and it was the polar opposite of the video I saw of their Coachella performance. Their Roo show was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. That sucks to give a band like MMJ one hour while it's still light out. I don't think Coachella got the real experience.

damn four hours...it must've been a good show

apostle2
07-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Possibly the best show I've ever seen, and I haven't talked to anybody that was there that wouldn't rank it in their top five.

TommyboyUNM
07-12-2008, 11:06 AM
damn four hours...it must've been a good show

Right up there with Tool, NIN, Rage and Muse for me. I didn't get to see all 4 hours, but I'm seeing them again next month at Red Rocks. Can't fucking wait.

TommyboyUNM
07-12-2008, 11:07 AM

I wasn't at Coachella, but the video that I saw didn't look MMJ-like. I'm glad they still put on a good show. That's a band that is starting to get attention and deserve every bit of it.

woogie846
07-12-2008, 12:41 PM
American Bang. First act I saw at coachella 08, horrid.

The Teenagers. A month before coachella. Fucking yawn.

Super Furry Animals. Boring.

Reel Big Fish. Caught them live once... never again.

I've never seen Reel Big Fish, but I've always really wanted to. What's wrong with them live?

Backwater
07-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Coachella is anti-jamband. Why book MMJ if you're going to give them such a short set? I used to live in Kentucky so I've been going to MMJ shows for a long time and they are one of the best jambands in the world for my money.

Boourns
07-12-2008, 03:53 PM
That's not saying much.

apostle2
07-12-2008, 04:50 PM
My Morning Jacket are not a jam band. They are a band, period. Lumping them in with "Jambands" is an injustice. That's like continuing to call Wilco alt.country

Backwater
07-12-2008, 05:06 PM
My Morning Jacket are not a jam band. They are a band, period. Lumping them in with "Jambands" is an injustice. That's like continuing to call Wilco alt.country

I'm sorry but you're wrong. MMJ IS a jamband. They are better than the rest but that doesn't change the fact that they are a jamband. They have all the traits of jambands: long, improvisational jams with extensive solos, 4 hour sets, dirty, smelly hippy fans. If you ask anyone in Louisville, Kentucky (where they're from) they will tell that MMJ is a jamband. They used to only play jamband festivals like Bonnaroo but since they've gotten so good, non-jamband festivals like Coachella have welcomed them but that doesn't mean that they're not a jamband. If Widespread Panic plays Coachella next year are they no longer a jamband in your eyes?

apostle2
07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
where a band plays has nothing to do with whether or not you would consider something a "jamband." Nor does the cleanliness or employment status of their fans. what contributes to the designation as a jam band is their sound, both live and on record.

The average length of a MMJ song from the last two records is probably about 4 minutes, maybe less. also, very few of these include "extensive solos", and many of the longer songs are the least "jammy", ie Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2.

As far as playing live, they have proven that they can play 4 hour mega sets as well as one hour sets. I'd venture to say they play much, much shorter sets more frequently than people think. And the reason their bonnaroo set was 4 hours was not because of improv, soloing, jamband wankery. it was because they played 35 songs. Look at the set list from the next night for Phil Lesh and Friends, a more traditional "jamband." Same stage, same set length, like 12 songs.

Also, I don't care what people from kentucky say or how they designate a band. If I was taking that into consideration, I would probably have to consider madonna devil music.

Backwater
07-12-2008, 05:20 PM
I'd venture to say they play much, much shorter sets more frequently than people think.

I would probably have to consider madonna devil music.

I'd venture to say you have no idea what you're talking about. How many times have you seen MMJ? I've seen them 12 times.

apostle2
07-12-2008, 05:23 PM
oh wow, I'm impressed. what did the second part of that quote have to do with what you said?

apostle2
07-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Also, just looked at the setlists from their recent euro tour. after a quick skim, I saw one date with more than 21 songs

Boourns
07-12-2008, 05:26 PM
wikipedia lists MMJ as a jamband. therefore, MMJ = jamband

apostle2
07-12-2008, 05:28 PM
haha I feel like a tool for actually going to look at this, but wikipedia in fact designates MMJ as "an American rock band"

PassiveTheory
07-12-2008, 05:41 PM
I think Boourns was being ironic...

Backwater
07-12-2008, 05:42 PM
You feel like a tool because you're wrong, regardless of what wikipedia says.

PassiveTheory
07-12-2008, 05:44 PM
You feel like a tool because you're wrong, regardless of what wikipedia says.

AND THAT's THE BOTTOM LINE CAUSE WIKIPEDIA SEZ SO.

apostle2
07-12-2008, 05:48 PM
haha ok, you're right. They are a jam band. Screw my supported opinions, you had a snappy comeback.

bmack86
07-12-2008, 06:12 PM
I don't view them as a Jam band, but i don't really view the Allmans or Skynyrd as jam bands either. Jam band, to me, derives more from the tradition of 60s psychedelic music, while those bands are deriving from the souther rock tradition. That's how I look at it, anyway.

PassiveTheory
07-12-2008, 06:18 PM

I was nearly front row and I gotta say that they were kinda boring. I wish I had seen Cut Copy instead, but I did get a good spot for Jens who fucking blew me away.

Backwater
07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Skynyrd isn't but The Allman Brothers are most definitely a jamband. Along with Jefferson Airplane and The Grateful Dead, they defined the genre. Lot's of jambands have southern rock influences. See Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule and North Mississippi Allstars.

bmack86
07-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Why wouldn't you say Skynyrd? They did extended guitar workouts during their live shows that lengthened their songs, and they had plenty of improvisation going on during their solos. That feels like arbitrary line drawing to me.

Backwater
07-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Skynyrd just sucks, plain and simple. Those rednecks were just never good enough to be accepted by the jamband community. If you want to get technical then sure, fine, you can call them a jamband if you really want. However, nobody considers them to be a jamband. I've always thought that "jamband" was a stupid term because it's more about the culture than the music in the first place.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Skynyrd was so much better than The Allman Bros. and the Dead. Jefferson Airplane is not a jamband.

Backwater
07-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Wrong, wrong and wrong

Boourns
07-12-2008, 11:09 PM
I really do want to hear a band cover "Freebird"...seriously.

bmack86
07-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Iron and Wine did it with Calexico when I saw them. Not the whole thing, but a verse into a chorus. They also did Wild Horses by the Stones and All Tomorrow's Parties by VU

Backwater
07-12-2008, 11:34 PM
In 1994, a cover version was recorded by country music artist Wynonna, as part of a compilation titled Skynyrd Frynds, which featured several country acts performing covers of Skynyrd songs.
The progressive metal band Dream Theater played the solo section of "Free Bird" on their live album Once in a LIVEtime, after the song Take the Time.[6]
The Mexican rock duo, Rodrigo y Gabriela, also made a cover of "Free Bird" played on acoustic guitars with nylon strings.
The rock group Phish did a version of this song, a cappella, including the guitar solo.
Kid Rock has covered it in the middle of his songs "I Am The Bullgod" and "You Never Met A Motherfucker Quite Like Me" live.
Built to Spill covered the song on the band's 2001 tour.
Charlie Daniels also covered the song on his Essential Super Hits, (2004) record.
American rock band Tally Hall has performed the song as the opening to some of their live performances.[7]
The California Guitar Trio has performed "Free Bird" in concert; a version is included on their CD Echoes.[8]
Dash Rip Rock has played a performed a parody mashup of "Freebird" and Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" titled "Stairway To Freebird" in their live shows for over 20 years. The short song combines the music for "Free Bird" with the opening lyrics of "Stairway." [9]
The punk band Towers of London released a cover of "Free Bird" as a single on iTunes and sometimes perform it in concert.

Backwater
07-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Phish has also played it non-a capella, it was really, really good. They played so many great covers. They were such a fun band.

RotationSlimWang
07-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Oh god, Freebird blows, everyone please shut up about it forever.

bballarl
07-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Jefferson Airplane was not a jam band. Period. Again, there is a difference between a jam band and a band capable of jamming.

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Seriously.

Backwater
07-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Well for whatever reason The Allman Brothers are considered a jamband and Skynyrd isn't.

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Perhaps because The Allman Brothers suck? Oh yes, that would make sense, because all jambands fucking suck. Yes, that fits nicely.

Backwater
07-13-2008, 12:29 AM
You don't like STS9 or Galactic?

RotationSlimWang
07-13-2008, 12:30 AM
... no.

bballarl
07-13-2008, 08:46 AM
The Allman Brothers have devolved into a jam band. Back in the day, they were a band that could jam. Adding Warren Haynes to your lineup will do that.

Backwater
07-13-2008, 03:29 PM
So in your mind a jamband is a band that can't jam? So the name of the genre is the anitthesis of the sound?

bmack86
07-13-2008, 03:52 PM
No, he's saying there is a distinction between Jam Band, which is a specific sound that derives from the Grateful Dead and their ilk, and bands that can jam, which is much broader and doesn't cover any one single genre.

bballarl
07-13-2008, 05:54 PM
So in your mind a jamband is a band that can't jam? So the name of the genre is the anitthesis of the sound?

Jesus tapdancing Christ. Thank you Bryan.

frozen pilgrim
07-13-2008, 10:32 PM
No, he's saying there is a distinction between Jam Band, which is a specific sound that derives from the Grateful Dead and their ilk, and bands that can jam, which is much broader and doesn't cover any one single genre.

otherwise, in ten years, QOTSA would be known as a jam band D:

humanoid
07-14-2008, 01:06 PM
how does Pearl Jam fit into all this?