PDA

View Full Version : Has-been artists you feel bad for...

HunterGather
07-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Is there any bands or band members/solo artists at any range (main stream, "indie"/hipster attracting, DJ, etc.) that you feel bad for?

I personally feel bad for Brandy.

http://www.autographdealer.com/images/BrandyNorwood43.jpg

She was on top of the world (no pun intended huh huh...you see, she had a song called TOP OF THE WORLD and...ok...)

So after winning a Grammy for her duet with Monica (The Boy Is Mine) and having a hugely successful 2nd album (which followed a respectable debut), she went off to do Moesha (tv show) for a few years. And a few movie roles here and there (Cinderella, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer,etc....).
Once that ended, she came with with her third album FULL MOON (which was a pretty damn good contemporary r&b album).
While the first single WHAT ABOUS US was a hit, the album was sort of a flop (though, I would imagine her pregnancy didn't help...damn babies).
It sported 2 singles. A third, and im sure more would have followed, but I guess her label didnt see the point after she had the baby to keep promoting since it wasn't go as well.

She would eventually come back with her 4th album which was a total failure (it was an ok album, could have been better).

Anyhoo, zoom forward...
the bitch then became a judge on a reality show (and then dropped after she like indirectly caused the death or someone in a car crash or something...didn't really follow that story too well)...(btw, i say bitch lovingly :D )

Anyhoo, I hope she eventually comes back with a stellar new album and doesn't have to judge silly reality shows

:)

NOTE: Ironically, i hate that her untalented brother Ray-J at this point has a bigger career than her. He can't sing for shit and the only reason WAIT A MINUTE was hot was because the Neptunes made a doep beat for it and it had a cool verse from Lil' Kim...i have no idea why his latest single SEXY CAN I was on the radio at all...terrible. (im sure that sex tape with that kardasian ho helped in some way)

NOTE 2: yes, alcohol has sponsored this thread. July 4th celebrations have started early 'round herre :)

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 03:08 PM
I feel bad for Weezer.

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Full Moon was a really good album, her best. An artist I feel for is Ja Rule, no bull. IF you grew up in middle school, or high school in the late 90's and early 00's you know you liked a few of his songs. Lying is a waste of time, so dont. 50 Cent pulled a bitch move to start up his career, he went about it the wrong way. Ja Rule didn't deserve that, he just made pop records. People liked them, but then 50 made it cool to hate on Ja.

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I feel bad for Weezer.

true story, 2 straight weak albums.

MassiveChemicalPunk
07-04-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.ryanwharvey.com/periodicdiversions/vanilla/Cool08.jpg

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 03:16 PM
http://www.ryanwharvey.com/periodicdiversions/vanilla/Cool08.jpg
hahahaha. It's not the same! it's not the same song.

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Also, Sushov, 50 Cent's career is based off of dissing other people, hence why Lil Wayne isn't bothering with getting back at him for his comments; why feed fuel to the fire?

Granted, I fucking hate Ja Rule,everything from his delivery to his utterly awful attempts at singing (which rival T-Pain's use of the talk box which ALMOST makes me want to go back in time and punch Peter Frampton in face for EVER making that shit popular). So yeah, he definitely deserves to fade into obscurity.

Speaking of which, another artist... "artist"... """""artist""""" I don't feel sorry for is Kevin Federline... Fuck that guy.

MarkO
07-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I feel bad for Weezer.

I don't. They were a one trick pony.

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 03:23 PM
wait Kevin Federline had a career? haha. Passive you didn't like ONE song from Ja Rule back in the day.

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Nooooooooooooooooope.

EDIT: Dude, Sushov, I'm hard pressed to like just about ANY rap music and trite commercial bile like Ja Rule hardly constitutes something I'd listen to for enjoyment.

MarkO
07-04-2008, 03:30 PM
......... Speaking of which, another artist... "artist"... """""artist""""" I don't feel sorry for is Kevin Federline... Fuck that guy.

He's a legend in my book. He got to bang Britney Spears before she went loopers and will no doubt live on her dime for the rest of his days.

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM
So did Justin Timberlake, Fred Durst, half of the Mickey Mouse club and probably Dustin Diamond, but THEY'VE all been able to survive beyond 15 minutes of ill-brought fame.

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Nooooooooooooooooope.

EDIT: Dude, Sushov, I'm hard pressed to like just about ANY rap music and trite commercial bile like Ja Rule hardly constitutes something I'd listen to for enjoyment.

I know Kevin didn't have a career, just making fun of his stupid ass. Oh ok I didn't know that, I thought you might enjoy a few hip hop artists. So now I know never bring up hip hop around PT.

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Cute, Sushov. I enjoy some hip hop but it's really limited; stuff like MF Doom and his various projects, Lupe Fiasco, Living Legends, ATCQ, and anything else that's borderline trip-hop like Handsome Boy Modeling School, etc.

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 03:41 PM
ATCQ is someone I think everyone likes once they give it a chance. It's hard not to.

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah.

And then there are the MCs that surprise me, like Lil Wayne. His singles are downright abysmal but my friend (who's a huge Wheezy fan) played me some of his non-single stuff and I liked it.

ThomThom
07-04-2008, 03:49 PM
How can anybody feel sorry for Ja Rule? Come on Sushov you can't really feel that way, him and Murder Inc. were a part of one of the worst phases in the history of Hip Hop music, seriously as Passive said that guy and everybody that he associated with at Murder Inc. were fucking bile. I was so happy when his career was essentially ended by Eminem, my god did that guy rip that entire crew a new asshole, the death of Murder Inc was a joyful day for me.

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah.

And then there are the MCs that surprise me, like Lil Wayne. His singles are downright abysmal but my friend (who's a huge Wheezy fan) played me some of his non-single stuff and I liked it.

Lil Wayne is great, he is easly top 3 right now. People just need to look past his dumbass singles. The mixtapes, and collabs are where its at with him.

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Sasha, I thought that even though Gotti went to jail that Murder Inc. was coming back?... Or was that just a stupid premise for his reality tv show?...

Sometimes I can't fucking tell what's lore and what's "entertainment"...

MassiveChemicalPunk
07-04-2008, 03:57 PM
ThomThom,
WTF is up with the avatar?

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Also, I saw this on TV yesterday and I liked it:

KJXofANnuJU

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 03:58 PM
How can anybody feel sorry for Ja Rule? Come on Sushov you can't really feel that way, him and Murder Inc. were a part of one of the worst phases in the history of Hip Hop music, seriously as Passive said that guy and everybody that he associated with at Murder Inc. were fucking bile. I was so happy when his career was essentially ended by Eminem, my god did that guy rip that entire crew a new asshole, the death of Murder Inc was a joyful day for me.

yeah they started to suck ass towards the end, but at first Ja Rule was putting out some good songs. They were songs you could hang out with friends and play, and just chill out, not take it serious type of songs. Now towards the end when he tried to get all hard, that is when I just thought what a fucking joke? Eminem killed Benzino, I still listen to that track. Nobody wants to hear their grandfather rap. HAHAHAHAHA. He even killed the source magazine in the process.
From that whole click the only one who I still feel bad for is Ashanti. She didn't deserve all that shit she went through.

ThomThom
07-04-2008, 04:06 PM
ThomThom,
WTF is up with the avatar?

You got a problem with Sad Gyrl?

ThomThom
07-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Sasha, I thought that even though Gotti went to jail that Murder Inc. was coming back?... Or was that just a stupid premise for his reality tv show?...

Sometimes I can't fucking tell what's lore and what's "entertainment"...

All for the reality show, Murder Inc. was wiped off the face of the earth by two eminem verses and a drug/money laundering crackdown. Their done.

MarkO
07-04-2008, 04:14 PM
So did Justin Timberlake, Fred Durst, half of the Mickey Mouse club and probably Dustin Diamond, but THEY'VE all been able to survive beyond 15 minutes of ill-brought fame.

JT is another legend. A legend's legend
Fred Durst. Who ?
Name anyone out of the MM club. I know I can't other than Christina Aguilera.
Dustin Diamond. Who ?

You're batting .250 here ....

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 04:16 PM
staying with the theme of hip hop I also feel bad for Mobb Deep.

BlueDevil50
07-04-2008, 04:31 PM
not gonna lie, "holla, holla" was my jam back in the day....

as for this game, i'd say

the lox
boyz II men
montel jordan

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Montel... isn't he a talk show host now?

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 04:38 PM
not gonna lie, "holla, holla" was my jam back in the day....

as for this game, i'd say

the lox
boyz II men
montel jordan

AHHHHHHH, The Lox. Money Power Respect. Jadakiss!!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxxxxxx
07-04-2008, 04:40 PM
http://www.lacefrontwig.co.uk/images/michael_jackson_lace_front_wig.jpg

HunterGather
07-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Ah, Ja Rule is another.
Funny though.
His first album was awesome. He was all hard n stuff, but then he got too poppy. I mean, I agree with Sushov, I like his more mainstream stuff.
But, it's sort of a shame how he's not really relevant on both ends.

What's more funny is that, people like 50 cent and others eventually did the same thing Ja Rule did (that sorta sing-song-rapping thing).

Oh well, what'r ya gonna do.

And yes, Full Moon is an awesome Brandy album!!
I wish it got promoted more and some more singles were released. I remember the 3rd single was gonna be "He Is" (on her reality show when she was pregnant, she was even recording a more uptempo version of the song to be a single), but I guess that never happened...

And continuing with this...

JANET JACKSON

http://celeb.wohoo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/janet-jackson-feedback.jpg

It's really sad that she's been a flop lately.
It all started with that superbowl incident.
MTV unofficially stopped playing her videos and promoting her music (though, lately, they've eased up sorta...she's having a reality show on MTV soon or something).

Her last 3 albums haven't done so well, but they should have. They were on par with all those other big name acts that have came out since (if not better). Solid contemporary r&b albums (Damita Jo, 20 Years Old, and Discipline).

I read that her latest album...her label isn't promoting it anymore. Aside from her upcoming tour...

And a janet-fan boy note:
There was a song on the 20 YEARS OLD album called "WITH U" that should have been a single.
It was produced by Jermaine Dupri and had the same feel and sound of Mariah Careys "We Belong Together" and Ushers "Confessions".
"With U" would have been the song that catapulted her career. But that was at the time her label stopped promoting that album.
Sucks.
And the same thing goes with the current sort-of next 2 singles from DISCIPLINE (Luv and Can't Be Good......got some radio spins, but no promotion from her label via music video or otherwise).

I'm still a big janet fan, and can't wait to see her on tour this fall!

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Usher is also heading down that path, his new album sucks. People aren't buying into it like they did confessions either.

Blinken
07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
yeah they started to suck ass towards the end, but at first Ja Rule was putting out some good songs. They were songs you could hang out with friends and play, and just chill out, not take it serious type of songs. Now towards the end when he tried to get all hard, that is when I just thought what a fucking joke? Eminem killed Benzino, I still listen to that track. Nobody wants to hear their grandfather rap. HAHAHAHAHA. He even killed the source magazine in the process.
From that whole click the only one who I still feel bad for is Ashanti. She didn't deserve all that shit she went through.

I love that Benzino track. Eminem fucking killed them, On a side note I hear his new album should be out this year.

HunterGather
07-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah...i skimmed thru ushers new album. I only like Love In This Club and the remix so far (and that was under protest! I hated it at first, but it grew on me...i guess i should give the whole album a better listen, but so far its not so good....)...

And I hope Eminems new album comes out soon.
Some people are already calling Em a has-been, but the dudes just been taking a long break is all. Surely he has a bunch of shit to talk about now :)
And hopefully, he's knocked off that weight. Dude knocked on some pounds last time I saw :o

Sushov23
07-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I love that Benzino track. Eminem fucking killed them, On a side note I hear his new album should be out this year.

the mean streets of boston!!!. HAHAHAHA

clumsy342
07-04-2008, 10:31 PM
http://www.lacefrontwig.co.uk/images/michael_jackson_lace_front_wig.jpg

No shit! ... That's pretty fucking sad.
But this is very funny...

fEHVR9Hj_b0

Pixiessp
07-05-2008, 12:04 AM
You got a problem with Sad Gyrl?

ha ha ha. that is hilarious. wouldn't want to tangle with sad gyrl though.