PDA

View Full Version : camping by herself

argylegargoyle
02-04-2007, 02:32 PM
sorry if something similar has been posted already... there's a lot of pages to skim through! :)

this'll be my second year to coachella, but this year i may be coming solo. for money reasons i'm thinking i'll be flying alone then camping. will this be safe and/or fun to do?

i'm a cool person! i've just never camped alone before. and i'm a girl, so i need to ease my mom's fears of being alone in the big desert. :)

what do you all suggest? will you be my friend? hehe

smilingdownward
02-04-2007, 03:02 PM
if you camp at the onsite camping you will be fine. i understand how you feel about camping alone, its scary. i did it this year for one night during sasquatch at a KOA campsite and it freaked me out a bit. then the KOA guy said is was just families and old ppl. it didnt stop me from having dreams of being attacked by ppl in my tent.
the ppl on onsite coachella camping are cool, i wouldnt think that you would have any problems there. and its cheap! but hot.....and the year that i camped ppl mostly kept to themselves

BriAnne
02-04-2007, 04:24 PM
we are renting a house, and we are looking for a single to stay. For the 3 nites it would be $200 US.

Dave_2006
02-04-2007, 06:11 PM
u should be okay..youll find lots of ppl to talk to. Im in the same position my friend bailed on me im pretty sure so im prob headin down their by myself anyway..lots in the same position

pinguinotonto
02-04-2007, 06:19 PM
same thing here. So as long as we are all open to meeting the people in our own position we can be our own group of loners, and not be a loner anymore...just a group of them.

Dave_2006
02-04-2007, 06:21 PM
ha very well said. where r u guys all staying anyway?

Dave_2006
02-04-2007, 07:16 PM
hey where u coming from? im comin from Canada probably by myself looks like it now anyway. R u staying on the camp-site?

pinguinotonto
02-04-2007, 07:28 PM
yea, i'm On-Site, camping. I'm sure it'll be gooood times.

Ill_Eagle
02-04-2007, 07:32 PM
come by our tent if you get scared lol were gonna be staying up because we'll probably be way too hyped up for RAGE to sleep hahah.

dontfeedthebird
02-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm camping alone. And I'm going to cry. :(

Zipkoppie
02-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi Girl,

I'm in the same boat as you, coming from South Africa, and none of my friends can afford the trip, so I'll be traveling and camping alone, I just plan on making friends when I get there.

Maybe we should have a hookup for all the people flying solo, and then set up a camp of our own.

vinylmartyr
02-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Its going to be crawling with people.

cityzun
02-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I have a problem too, my roommate and his girlfriend are coming with me, and we only have one tent. I expect to be the awkward third wheel while they have sex.

*Cries*

jerpar24
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
what do you all suggest? will you be my friend? hehe[/QUOTE]

I'll be your friend

flakivirs
02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I think you might have started something here. I'm flying solo and camping on site as well. Flying from NJ maybe on Thursday. When is everyone planning to get there? Are you all arriving at LA airport and taking the bus? We should definitively get together and camp next to each other

york707
02-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I heard The Lone Rangers are playing a secret show on the campground on Thursday night.

Boourns
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Are you an Arcade Fire fan? If so, you should join the group we are putting together. Read more here:
http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=856

I'm most likely arriving solo on Thursday but will be with a good group of Arcade Fire people until my friends arrive (they are joining me and the group on Friday).

This way you will be guaranteed to have good people watching out for you, and since all our names are on file, nobody can get away with doing anything stupid.

thaipod
02-05-2007, 02:46 PM
sorry if something similar has been posted already... there's a lot of pages to skim through! :)

this'll be my second year to coachella, but this year i may be coming solo. for money reasons i'm thinking i'll be flying alone then camping. will this be safe and/or fun to do?

i'm a cool person! i've just never camped alone before. and i'm a girl, so i need to ease my mom's fears of being alone in the big desert. :)

In 2004, I met a girl who camped alone right next to me who came out here from the other side of the country. We met, we became good friends, and we meet up with each other about once a year now. In fact, she's finally coming out to Coachella this year with friends.

So yeah, it's safe, it can be fun, and you could meet cool-ass people (like moi).

Kampy
02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Here's some more info on nearby camping:

http://wehow.ehow.com/how_2019911_camp-offsite-coachella.html

Boourns
02-05-2007, 05:09 PM
I met a girl in 04 who was camping solo.

tiffdud41
02-05-2007, 05:17 PM
solo campers unite! that sounds good to me, being as I'm flying solo, myself. now, who has the organizational skills to make it happen?

SWEETSHIVERBURN
02-05-2007, 06:54 PM

you will be fine. Obviously there are some narly guys and girls out there. But from what i can tell, the campsite is secure, and the ppl are cool. Everyone is there for a purpose and not to hurt anyone. Like the kids have said... talk to your neighbor or do a met up here.. Best laid plans.... You'll have a great time camping.( ps...i understand your moms worries.. just tell her you'll call her everyday.:) )

and it seems a lot want to be your freind...

JClemy
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a problem too, my roommate and his girlfriend are coming with me, and we only have one tent. I expect to be the awkward third wheel while they have sex.

*Cries*

That sounds horrible! you should probably not be in the tent as a third wheel. If I were you I would invest in a cheap tent.

cityzun
02-05-2007, 09:23 PM
That sounds horrible! you should probably not be in the tent as a third wheel. If I were you I would invest in a cheap tent.

Or shut my eyes and just think over and over "imasleepimasleepimasleepimasleep"

Boourns
02-06-2007, 04:03 AM
Or join in.

vinylmartyr
02-06-2007, 04:15 AM
I will be camping by myself but I know lots of people there. I have room for some ladies though. Don't be shy. I will probably hangout with Erik (Menikmati) one of the regs on this board and he is some kinda wild party animal.

randy ricochet
02-06-2007, 08:05 AM

As a third wheel!!!!!?.....Del Boy's got a three wheeler!!
There's nothing wrong with a threewheeler now and again!!!!

laliloo
02-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Hey, I'ma female camping alone, too. Flying from Toronto to Indio on Thursday night and camping on-site. I figure this way I don't have to worry too much about transportation.
I'm really looking forward to the solace and making my own rules but I'm also very interested in meeting new people ..
I'm really not afraid .. I grew up camping and life has taught me that whatever is going to happen will and I can do nothing to avoid it so I will just walk with my head held high absorbing as much as I can with my mind and eyes observing everything ..

eric m
02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Camp Loner: Where no one is ever lonely.

laineinla
02-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Or shut my eyes and just think over and over "imasleepimasleepimasleepimasleep"

can't you ask them to wait til like you're away from the tent taking a shower or eating or something ... just a thought. or tell them to do it during air. :)

cityzun
02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
can't you ask them to wait til like you're away from the tent taking a shower or eating or something ... just a thought. or tell them to do it during air. :)

I think I'll just keep a bucket of cold water right next to me. I won't tell them they can't have sex with me in there, but I can damn well make sure it's the most unenjoyable sex of their lives.

thaipod
02-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Dude, tell them if they're going to have sex in front of you, you're going to masturbate loudly in front them while they're having sex. That should get them to stop.

cityzun
02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Dude, tell them if they're going to have sex in front of you, you're going to masturbate loudly in front them while they're having sex. That should get them to stop.

I wish they were British...

"You know we could have sex right now....but let's not."

"Yes....YES....there we go!"
"Well done."

Ah Family Guy, I love thee

Havocquarm
02-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm also gonna be a solo camper, driving in thrusday night - monday morning from Dallas. I'm down with making a solo campers area, although i plan to wander around the campgrounds meeting new people also.

Meadowsmeister
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM

that just makes it more exciting... its a two and half-some

PassiveTheory
02-06-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm camping solo too, my first time at Coachella... And if you bring a power generator, I may feel inclined to bring along with me my huge metal industrial fan... So who wants to be my generator-having Coachella buddy?

McFearless
02-06-2007, 08:29 PM
The number one rule I would give females or gay men or anyone suseptable to attacks about camping alone is NOT to admit you are camping alone. Its not really anyones business. Yeah, I know everyone at Coachella is nice or whatever, but there is always bad seeds.

jerpar24
02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm also gonna be a solo camper, driving in thrusday night - monday morning from Dallas. I'm down with making a solo campers area, although i plan to wander around the campgrounds meeting new people also.

I also plan on walking around making friends.

jorluivil
02-06-2007, 09:09 PM
This is my 6th year but my first time camping. If the campsite is as cool as the festival itself I do not see any issues with you camping alone. I to am camping alone, in a small tent with candles, some Marvin Gaye on the radio and silk sheets, JUST KIDDING! I'll be the 36yr old hispanic guy with nothing to keep me warm but my blankets. HAPPY CAMPING!!!!

Zipkoppie
02-07-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm down with a solo campers area! Man, that would rock!

The question is, how are we going to make it happen? I have no idea what the grounds look like, so we can't even say "hey, lets all meet at the <insert location>"

Anybody willing to make a big-ass sign or something?

vinylmartyr
02-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Its gonna be wall to wall tents man.

randy ricochet
02-07-2007, 01:04 AM

Hang on a minute. This threads being dragged on and nobody has asked what you look like!!!!!

tony58g
02-08-2007, 11:49 AM
come stay with me!

dontfeedthebird
02-10-2007, 10:12 PM
The number one rule I would give females or gay men or anyone suseptable to attacks about camping alone is NOT to admit you are camping alone. Its not really anyones business. Yeah, I know everyone at Coachella is nice or whatever, but there is always bad seeds.

We should put up scarecrows to ward off sexual predators.

Kali27
02-10-2007, 11:36 PM
A can of mace should work pretty well too...

cityzun
02-11-2007, 09:51 AM
We should put up scarecrows to ward off sexual predators.

That would be more creepy for everyone else....just imagine walking back to your tent alone one night, and just seeming this ominous looming figure standing there. Just standing, staring, judging. Like in Jeepers Creepers 2! *Shudder*

dontfeedthebird
02-11-2007, 10:09 AM
*Eyes you suspiciously* Why are you trying to thwart my scarecrow idea?

eudaemonia
02-11-2007, 10:09 AM

I'd just threaten to take a video and put it up on YouTube for all the world to see. Or you can yell out things while they're having sex to totally ruin the mood, (a la Questionable Content (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=810)) like "I think she's faking it" or "Is that the best you can do?" Shit like that. :thu

trowa888
02-11-2007, 02:21 PM
We should definitely make a solo-campers club and have a meeting thursday night and party and stuff! AAawww.... we'll be so cute!

trowa888
02-11-2007, 02:22 PM
PS: I'm definitely running off to go create our solo campers club thread

911wasaninsidejob
02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Hi Girl,

I'm in the same boat as you, coming from South Africa, and none of my friends can afford the trip, so I'll be traveling and camping alone, I just plan on making friends when I get there.

Maybe we should have a hookup for all the people flying solo, and then set up a camp of our own.

EXACTLY!! I'm also coming solo...from New York City.

But I'm not exactly scared to camp alone (as I'm a 6', 200lb. former US Army RANGER). ;) hehe

cityzun
02-11-2007, 10:11 PM
*Eyes you suspiciously* Why are you trying to thwart my scarecrow idea?

Because you're trying to thwart MY idea.

It's not rape if you yell "Surprise!"

soupbandit
02-11-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll be solo! My friends are all hoteled for various reasons. I camped last year with friends and ended up pretty much solo anyways.

I'm down for the solo camper meet!

tiffdud41
02-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I camped alone last year and at first I was a little scared but after an hour of being there I chilled and had a great weekend. No need to worry for the fems who think they might need to!

thaipod
02-12-2007, 02:36 AM
I'd just threaten to take a video and put it up on YouTube for all the world to see. Or you can yell out things while they're having sex to totally ruin the mood, (a la Questionable Content (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=810)) like "I think she's faking it" or "Is that the best you can do?" Shit like that. :thu

I love that! I would start doing old cartoon voices saying the must unsexy things...

"But Yogi, the ranger told us not to bother the campers."

"Hey now, Boo boo. If the campers want to bump uglies, then I will stick my big bear dick in the picanic basket!

tiffdud41
02-13-2007, 06:57 PM

I'm gonna get a sharpy and write "weak girl here all by herself, please don't rape me or pummel me with your fists" on my forehead