PDA

View Full Version : Cataloging your music

bmack86
06-29-2008, 02:12 AM
As I'm currently on summer vacation before starting work, I've got time on my hands. I've decided to organize my long-neglected CD collection, which has gathered dust at my parents' house while I've been away at school.

Anyone got some good recommendations to keep a good catalog system so that my cds don't get so out of whack again?

BROKENDOLL
06-29-2008, 02:27 AM
As I'm currently on summer vacation before starting work, I've got time on my hands. I've decided to organize my long-neglected CD collection, which has gathered dust at my parents' house while I've been away at school.

Anyone got some good recommendations to keep a good catalog system so that my cds don't get so out of whack again?I'm currently on summer vacation too. I should have cataloged my CDs instead of remodeling my guitar. Either way it'll end up whack! :)-

fiyahhh!
06-29-2008, 06:20 AM
First sort by genre, then alphabetical by artist. Within the artist, alphabetical by title, with singles/import singles/bootlegs following (in alphabetical order. Box sets get stacked wherever there's room. I also keep a small section in front of "heavy rotation" stuff... cds that are either new that I'm currently listening to or just for when I'm going through a "phase".
I think I might have ocd...

Tylerdurden31
06-29-2008, 07:06 AM
I just go with alpha by artist, followed by album chronologically, with singles and live albums at the end of each artist section

JustSteve
06-29-2008, 09:29 AM
autobiographically

bballarl
06-29-2008, 09:51 AM
I just go with alpha by artist, followed by album chronologically, with singles and live albums at the end of each artist section

This is what I do. Greatest Hits or B-Side collections go at the end as well.

bmack86
06-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Do you guys have a good storage plan? I don't like stacking that much because that means if I get something that should go into a stack it can throw my columns all out of whack, which is why this was such a mess in the first place.

wmgaretjax
06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
by barcode.

zenidogx
06-29-2008, 10:05 AM
the easiest thing to do is to get an iPod

bmack86
06-29-2008, 10:06 AM
An Ipod doesn't go thru all my cds and magically put them in place.

zenidogx
06-29-2008, 10:08 AM
yeah, but once you have all your music in an iPod, it's all in order.

bmack86
06-29-2008, 10:12 AM
My music is. Not my cds. I've got an Ipod and a library on my computer, but I also have a few thousand CDs that feel neglected

Cpt. Funkaho
06-29-2008, 10:12 AM
the easiest thing to do is to get an iPod

This editorial comment seems irrelevant to the issue at hand.

I agree with alpha by artist and then chronological by release date; as far as storage, I gave up on saving the cases and just put my discs in a few of those 200/400 CD sleeve-cases. I like having the cover art/liner notes, but it got to the point where it just wasn't worth it. I guess if you're more attached to it than I was, you could put the liner notes into one sleeve and have the disc in the sleeve next to it, though this would eat up your sleeves twice as fast.

Tylerdurden31
06-29-2008, 10:14 AM
there's also this thing if you have a mac

http://www.delicious-monster.com/

bmack86
06-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I did that for awhile, but then I realized that quite a bit of my older stuff is shitty as hell, and that I might be able to sell some of them to Amoeba or something.

Funkaho, you been gone awhile. Welcome back.

Cpt. Funkaho
06-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Delicious Library is the sauce. It doesn't do much for your physical cataloguing issues, but it's super helpful as far as maintaining records of what you have for easy lookup.

bmack86
06-29-2008, 10:17 AM

THAT'S AWESOME!!!!

I need to see if my mac has the camera built in, because it's pretty old.

Cpt. Funkaho
06-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Funkaho, you been gone awhile. Welcome back.

I'm kind of touched that you noticed. I work 60-80 hours a week at my summer job, so I don't have time for much else. Speaking of, I have to go install a UHF antenna. Be back shortly.

suprefan
06-29-2008, 10:21 AM
autobiographically

http://www.kinoweb.de/film2000/HighFidelity/pix/hf3.jpg

And I do it that way actually.

fatbastard
06-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I assumed this question was meant for music that has been downloaded from CDs, which is my question. My actual CD music is organized alphabetically then chronologically. Going back to the question of music in mp3 format, what do people do, to create playlists? How does new music (either recently purchsed new or old music) get incorporated into these playlsts?

woogie846
06-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Alphabetize, then chronologically.

bmack86
06-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I just use Itunes for my computer music, and it organizes everything.

Courtney
06-29-2008, 12:01 PM

This is how I used to do it too back before all my worldly possessions got put in storage. Only singles and live albums were also chrono within each artist section.

Also I want these:

http://www.insound.com/images_promo/AZ-CD_Dividers.jpg (http://www.insound.com/CD_Dividers_A-Z_Dividers_CD%20Dividers/productmain/p/INS40562/)

prettydirtything
06-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Delicious Library is super tits.

Superfluous as hell, which is the main reason I love it.

It tells you what you had at some point, and then you have to go find it and hope its not cracked, lost, or borrowed. But you have a really top line composite shot to go hunt with. You can even make a FBI style poster of your top 10 missing or misplaced cd's...

chiapet
06-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I do alphabetical, then chronological, too. (But I sort singles in chronologically as well, and only put greatest hits & live cds at the end). That makes more sense to me because if I were going to reach for a single, I'd look for it by the album that the single was on.

Shelving - I have one of these in black. It's cheap pressed wood stuff, but mine has held up for almost 10 years now and through multiple moves. Plus it's light enough that even loaded down with CDs I can move it myself (carefully).

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/image/110942_zm.jpg

The only problem is that it only holds 1500, and I've long since ran out of space, and don't have room in my living room for more shelving.

I've never understood how people could use the wallet/album style books for CDs if you have more than like 100 or so, even more so if you alphabetize, etc. Aren't you constantly shuffling stuff? How do you find anything?

Sushov23
06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
autobiographically

high fidelity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit-Supre got to it first.

RotationSlimWang
06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I keep them all in a stack in my glove compartment. This is 2008. Fuck CDs.

Cpt. Funkaho
06-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Fuck CDs.

Seconded. I had to burn a CD yesterday because for some reason iTunes wouldn't recognize my iPod, and it was the first time I've burned an audio CD in about... three years, now.

menikmati
06-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I keep them all in a stack in my glove compartment. This is 2008. Fuck CDs.

Well I suppose its a good idea for people to buy back up hard drives, archive their music supply once a month, and label the drives and stack em in a nice cool place?

Cpt. Funkaho
06-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Well I suppose its a good idea for people to buy back up hard drives, archive their music supply once a month, and label the drives and stack em in a nice cool place?

I meant to start doing that in 2002, and just this summer I managed to actually do it. I now have copies of my library on three different drives in two different physical locations. It makes me feel a lot safer.

Pixiessp
06-29-2008, 04:22 PM

me too.....although right now they are everywhere with the exception of
Third and Music has the right to Children which are both in heavy heavy rotation.

Sonicifyouwantit
06-29-2008, 04:37 PM

Anyone got some good recommendations to keep a good catalog system so that my cds don't get so out of whack again?

rip your cds, keep a digital library of your songs. sell the cds. thats my advice and thats what I did. sold over a 1000 cds. have about 60,000 songs on my musicmatch library.

bmack86
06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
I just couldnt' see selling some of my cds. I will sell quite a few, but not all of them.

Sushov23
06-29-2008, 04:48 PM
I just couldnt' see selling some of my cds. I will sell quite a few, but not all of them.

yeah, my friends tell me to sell my CD's all the time, but I can't bring myself to do it either.

shakermaker113
06-29-2008, 05:02 PM
there was another thread about this, where nothingman showed us some pictures of his collection organized by year.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13837

kreutz2112
06-29-2008, 06:51 PM
the easiest thing to do is box them up, take them to your local record shop that buys used cds and sell them before they are completely obsolete.

sonofhal
06-30-2008, 12:42 AM
I have 4 racks upstairs that contain all the cds from the last 4 years (so a rack for 2008, one for 2007 etc - in alpha) - The majority the rest are filed downstairs in alpha/chrono, with some older crap in my loft. I'm seriously considering some custom shelving, which should be cheaper than buying a bigger house.