PDA

View Full Version : GOGOL BORDELLO

Sushov23
06-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Seriously they deserve their own thread on this message board. SHAME on every person who hasn't started one. This needs to stay around forever. PLEASE, videos, songs, live shows you have seen, anything gogol bring it in here.

Boourns
06-26-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm sure a lot of videos will be floating around after Detour.

aeroplanee
06-26-2008, 10:41 PM
secured my tickets for the Grove show, haven't been this stoked in a while

suprefan
06-26-2008, 10:43 PM
Are you Rage Patton now?

Sushov23
06-26-2008, 10:47 PM
No, but I fucking love gogol

gmoneyak
06-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm pretty sure there is about 15 threads like this already floating around.

Sushov23
06-26-2008, 10:51 PM
a new one doesn't hurt.

PassiveTheory
06-26-2008, 11:01 PM
They're good, but they're reaching a level of popularity that's pretty alarming...

But they're playing Detour for sure, right?

woogie846
06-26-2008, 11:10 PM
They're good, but they're reaching a level of popularity that's pretty alarming...

But they're playing Detour for sure, right?

It's just about a guarantee. But don't count on anything until Detour releases the line up.

Sushov23
06-26-2008, 11:15 PM
why is it alarming?

PassiveTheory
06-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Eh, I think alarming was just poor word choice...

More like "WTF I hope this doesn't mean they start making shitty music because of how popular they've become".

Sushov23
06-26-2008, 11:33 PM
oh ok. Alarming was a bit you know?

Pixiessp
06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
got my tix for the Grove show today. yay!!!!

Backwater
06-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Ok so your name has Pxies in it so obviously you like good music so what the fucking hell are you all about Gogol and Wilco for?!?!?

Of all the amazingly great bands out there who resemble the greatness of the Pixies, WTF are you saying that "Wilco is the only jam band I like" and "Gogol whoa!" for?

Sushov23
06-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Gogol, and Wilco kick ass. So you are talking nonsense right now.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:19 AM
The Pixies in comparison? Adventure, excitement, a Jedi seeks not these things. You have much to learn Padawan, much to learn you do.

stinkbutt
06-27-2008, 01:35 AM
Adventure, excitement, a Jedi seeks not these things. You have much to learn Padawan, much to learn you do.

Please don't mix the two trilogies

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Hey man, it's all like one story, or at least that's just like you're opinion man, but give me another caucasion, cause I'm still calm, at least clamer that you.

Sorry, I can't wait to see Burn After Reading

stinkbutt
06-27-2008, 01:50 AM
Burn After Reading looks great the Coens seem to have the midas touch

woogie846
06-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Please don't mix the two trilogies

SPACE PWNED.

higgybaby23
06-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Gogol fans: Check out The Pied Piper Of Hutzovina. It's a documentary about Eugene. Quite enjoyable.

Boourns
06-27-2008, 10:55 AM
My midichlorians hurt.

corbo
06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
*yawns* overrated

rage patton
06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Gogol fans: Check out The Pied Piper Of Hutzovina. It's a documentary about Eugene. Quite enjoyable.

I got it, it is very great. I liked it becasuse at some points it made Eugene Hutz seem like a total asshole, and at other points and genuinely nice and craing guy.

Also, I suggest everyone here watches the movie "Wristcutters: A Love Story." One of the main characters is Eastern European man with a moustche and his characters name is Eugene. He is also in a band... the bands music who they use for the fil is Gogol Bordello. I watched the special features after and it turns out Eugene Hutz is good friends with the director for the movie and he gave the director permission to use him as the inspiration for this charcter. As well as to use Gogol's music in the film. Also Tom Waits is in this movie. As well as Will Arnett. Its a good'un.

And Shusov... damn you! I thought this thread was going to be about a full Gogol Bordello North American, or at least West Coast, tour.

Sushov23
06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
RAGE there is no doubt that it will be coming.

TommyboyUNM
06-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I love love love them in concert. I really enjoyed their sets at Vegoose and Bonnaroo. But when have they ever been accused of making great music?

frozen pilgrim
06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
they make amazing music.
music that doesn't stick 100% to british/american convention in terms of the rules of post-classical composition to gain popularity.
it's not just energetic and danceable- it's CREATIVE. and they don't get so bogged down in technicality that they forget how to sound like they're having fun.
you can hear if a band is having fun or not.
it makes a big difference.

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 03:35 PM
My midichlorians hurt.

wow

woogie846
06-27-2008, 03:40 PM
I love love love them in concert. I really enjoyed their sets at Vegoose and Bonnaroo. But when have they ever been accused of making great music?

I think they make great music. Gogol makes music that I love listening to, and music that is really fun.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 03:44 PM
i guess the real issue is then... does having people think your music is fun make it great?

the answer would be... sure... in the way Daft Punk is great, but not in the way Radiohead is great.

ThomThom
06-27-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm so tired of this band and I still haven't seen them.

TommyboyUNM
06-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm so tired of this band and I still haven't seen them.

Unless you're in a bad mood and consciously don't wanna have fun, I bet you would enjoy their show. Just my opinion, I think it would be really hard to have a bad time while watching them.

Sushov23
06-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Unless you're in a bad mood and consciously don't wanna have fun, I bet you would enjoy their show. Just my opinion, I think it would be really hard to have a bad time while watching them.

I think he is just a bitter person.

boarderwoozel3
06-27-2008, 09:47 PM

Truth. They're awesome live.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 09:51 PM
they make amazing music.
music that doesn't stick 100% to british/american convention in terms of the rules of post-classical composition to gain popularity.
it's not just energetic and danceable- it's CREATIVE. and they don't get so bogged down in technicality that they forget how to sound like they're having fun.
you can hear if a band is having fun or not.
it makes a big difference.

When I was reading this I felt like you were describing System of a Down. I agree about Gogol, they are great but what you said perfectly describes SOAD. It's definitely not danceable, but everything else you said is spot on SOAD. They're a little heavier though so I understand if people on this board don't like them.

rage patton
06-27-2008, 10:27 PM
What is amazing about Gogol Bordello is how true they stick to their Eastern European roots. Their music is firmly planted in traditional Balkan music, with the spirit of punk bands like The Ramones and The Clash. In fact, their song "Suddenly... I Miss Carparty" is based on a traditional Ukranian Folk song that he learned while travelling through the town of Carparty, Ukraine (which is right on the boarder to Russia.) However, Eugene Hutz wanted to find a way to bring this traditional Balkan music he loves so much... to the masses of North America. He had also always been a huge fan of punk music, and he thought by combining the two, he could connect. Obviously, it has worked.
I am going to go right ahead and saw Gogol Bordello are one of the most creative and visionary bands that has ever existed. It just so happens that their live shows are an abso-fucking-lute blast.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 10:32 PM
What is amazing about Gogol Bordello is how true they stick to their Eastern European roots. Their music is firmly planted in traditional Balkan music, with the spirit of punk bands like The Ramones and The Clash. In fact, their song "Suddenly... I Miss Carparty" is based on a traditional Ukranian Folk song that he learned while travelling through the town of Carparty, Ukraine (which is right on the boarder to Russia.) However, Eugene Hutz wanted to find a way to bring this traditional Balkan music he loves so much... to the masses of North America. He had also always been a huge fan of punk music, and he thought by combining the two, he could connect. Obviously, it has worked.
I am going to go right ahead and saw Gogol Bordello are one of the most creative and visionary bands that has ever existed. It just so happens that their live shows are an abso-fucking-lute blast.

I completely agree. That's what I'm saying! Just replace Ukraine with Armenia, punk with metal, and Eugene with Serj.

woogie846
06-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I still need to get my signed Gogol shirt framed.

Sushov23
06-28-2008, 12:06 PM

That made me want to cry man!. But seriously, Gogol is amazing live, and the music is very original.

prettydirtything
06-28-2008, 12:34 PM
im on this bandwagon
I had heard "things", and dragged my friend to their set 30 min early.
Highest energy set I saw all weekend.... blew the place up. I think they were even better in the blazing heat.

Good Times!

Sushov23
08-16-2008, 07:08 PM
bump!. So who is going to catch them live on their tour.

zenidogx
08-16-2008, 07:17 PM
they're always touring. it's harder to miss them than to catch them.
i'll be at Detour!

betao
08-16-2008, 07:20 PM
saw them back in June and it was such a good time. If they add another show near Richmond or DC, i'll be there definitely.

paulb
08-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Saw them at Lolla, and the Metro....and then 2 shows in October at the Commodore.... im REALLY ready...

I was at ticketmaster today, and was asking if they can see how many tickets exactly are left, and the 1st show is 100% sold out, and there are 141 tickets left for the 2nd night... I asked her about a bunch of shows to see the figures.... Bad Religion have 451 tickets left... Iron and Wine had 24 tickets left for sale...twas very interesting...

Sushov23
08-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Saw them at Lolla, and the Metro....and then 2 shows in October at the Commodore.... im REALLY ready...

I was at ticketmaster today, and was asking if they can see how many tickets exactly are left, and the 1st show is 100% sold out, and there are 141 tickets left for the 2nd night... I asked her about a bunch of shows to see the figures.... Bad Religion have 451 tickets left... Iron and Wine had 24 tickets left for sale...twas very interesting...

how do you figure out info like that?

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 08:18 PM

Thanks! I need to snag my Bad Religion tickets quickly then. A car-load of us are rolling up from Seattle.

The BR & Dropkick Murphys Vancouver show in 2006 was one of the nights of music I've ever experienced.

Sushov23
08-16-2008, 08:19 PM
anyone know who is opening for Gogol on this tour? who was it last summer?

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I saw Skindred open for Gogol back in March. Random but they're not an easy band to open for.

Sushov23
08-16-2008, 08:22 PM
when you are Gogol anyone can open for you, because there aren't many that can upstage you.

feather
08-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I am trying to unload 2 Gogol tickets Oct 2nd @ the Grove in Anaheim if anyone is interested. I will sell them for cheap!

Sushov23
08-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I am trying to unload 2 Gogol tickets Oct 2nd @ the Grove in Anaheim if anyone is interested. I will sell them for cheap!

how much do you want?

paulb
08-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks! I need to snag my Bad Religion tickets quickly then. A car-load of us are rolling up from Seattle.

The BR & Dropkick Murphys Vancouver show in 2006 was one of the nights of music I've ever experienced.

Excellent! Come say hi... Bad Religion, 900 people, 19+...im stoked. Im def hitting up the Seattle show if I have the day off...

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 08:36 PM
when you are Gogol anyone can open for you, because there aren't many that can upstage you.

Good point. I digress.

sbessiso
08-16-2008, 08:38 PM
No Feather! Don't do it! You're missing a spectacular show!

feather
08-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I paid $32.05 fee included. I am down for $20 each ticket.

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Excellent! Come say hi... Bad Religion, 900 people, 19+...im stoked. Im def hitting up the Seattle show if I have the day off...

The Seattle Gogol show Oct. 9? I already have tickets for that (of course).

But yeah, I'd be all for having a drink with you.

feather
08-16-2008, 08:40 PM
I know! Well I saw him at Coachella and I'm going to Detour instead. Miranda has school during the week so missing the Thursday show and seeing him Saturday would work better for us.

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 08:41 PM
No Feather! Don't do it! You're missing a spectacular show!

It's true. Gogol playing a non-festival show is a totally different experience.

(and wwwaaaaayyyyyy better)

paulb
08-16-2008, 08:48 PM
The Seattle Gogol show Oct. 9? I already have tickets for that (of course).

But yeah, I'd be all for having a drink with you.

I was actually talkin about the Bad Religion show in Seattle....

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 08:49 PM
I was actually talkin about the Bad Religion show in Seattle....

WA-WA-WHAT?!?! When and where?

paulb
08-16-2008, 08:51 PM
that Endfest, or something....

paulb
08-16-2008, 08:53 PM
http://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/0F0040F5ADEF52A0?artistid=1245622&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

And Bad Religion tops a lineup that also includes the Presidents of the United States of America, Atreyu, The Faint, Everlast, the Ting Tings, the Airborne Toxic Event and Sirens Sister.

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 09:04 PM
HOLY. SHIT.

Tickets paid for as of a few moments ago.

paulb
08-16-2008, 09:06 PM
you suck.... hehe, Airborne Toxic Event are awesome... PUSA are always fun.... and Bad Religion...the mecca.

How far is the show from downtown Seattle? I REALLY wanna go.

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 09:12 PM
The venue is about 20 min. east.

There are a number of bands I want to see too.

The only shitty thing being BR is playing a shorter set by about a half-hour.

paulb
08-16-2008, 09:15 PM
1 full hour is still 17-20 songs... are the set times out?

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah, but it seems a bit early... anyway:

http://kndd.radiotown.com/endfest/show.html

paulb
08-16-2008, 09:23 PM
why wouldnt they let BR play till 10pm?

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 09:43 PM
No clue. The local noise ordinance probably shuts things down at ten. Maybe they're allowing an extra 15 min. to make sure everything runs smoothly. I'm sure Gaffin and the boys won't have a hard time filling in any extra time :D

I can't wait to hear; Do What You Want, No Control, Fuck Armaggedon... This is Hell, You, Atomic Garden.... shit, there are too many to list!!!!!!

paulb
08-16-2008, 09:46 PM
best BR setlist i saw was in Anaheim at the HOB, a night B setlist

Fuck Armageddon... This Is hell
New Dark Ages
You Are (The Government)
Anesthesia
I Want To Conquer The World
Los Angeles Is Burning
Delirium Of Disorder
Sanity
Give You Nothing
Stranger Than Fiction
Suffer
Punk Rock Song
Flat Earth Society
Modern Man
Turn On The Light
No Control
Best For You
Automatic Man
What Can You Do?
Do What You Want
Recipe For Hate
Get Off
Change Of Ideas
Generator
Infected
American Jesus
Dearly Beloved (Acoustic)
Skyscraper (Acoustic)
Along The Way
21st Century (Digital Boy)
Sorrow

paulb
08-16-2008, 09:47 PM
just needs some Come Join Us.

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 09:49 PM
What is it about always ending with Sorrow?

But yeah, Come Join Us for sure.

paulb
08-16-2008, 09:50 PM
its their most popular song....and one of their best.

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I agree that its a good song, should be played at their shows etc but its not in my top 5.

In all fairness I just tried to choose a top 5 and it just isn't happening, more like a top 15.

paulb
08-16-2008, 09:58 PM
ya, BR have too many 10/10 songs.... ill try a top 5:

Come Join Us/Along The Way
Do What You Want
21st Century Digital Boy
Dearly Beloved (acoustic)
You Are The Government

but this list is day to day.... they are too great to narrow down...

woogie846
08-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Here's to hoping that Detour isn't Gogol's only LA stop for a while.

Sushov23
08-16-2008, 11:46 PM
are you going to check them out woogie?

rage patton
08-16-2008, 11:51 PM

Even though they are playing Seattle, are you still going to come up and see them in Vancouver? The Commodore is a GREAT venue. And yes, the BR & Dropkick show was awesome.

I saw Skindred open for Gogol back in March. Random but they're not an easy band to open for.

Skindred opened in March? Fucking awesome! I wish I could have went to that show. I hope the opener for this tour is good.

I was at ticketmaster today, and was asking if they can see how many tickets exactly are left, and the 1st show is 100% sold out, and there are 141 tickets left for the 2nd night...

Seriously? Only 151 left? Wow. Maybe they will add a third night... :)

Sushov23
08-16-2008, 11:52 PM
don't get jealous man but there is a good chance I'm going to see them 3 times in Oct. So much fun is going to be had.

boarderwoozel3
08-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Even though they are playing Seattle, are you still going to come up and see them in Vancouver? The Commodore is a GREAT venue. And yes, the BR & Dropkick show was awesome.

I didn't know about their Seattle stop until tonight and bought tickets on the spot. Even so, its at a small radio station festival and their set is going to be slightly shorter than Vancouver. That said, I may head north too.

Sushov23
08-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Anyone going to the Flogging Molly tour? I just realized they have no LA date.

rage patton
08-17-2008, 12:16 AM
I didn't know about their Seattle stop until tonight and bought tickets on the spot. Even so, its at a small radio station festival and their set is going to be slightly shorter than Vancouver. That said, I may head north too.

I went and saw Flogging Molly at End Of Summer Camp II in June. Put on by the same radio station (The End) as this one. Flogging Molly played for almost an hour and a half. With that being said, I would still come up to the Vancouver show. Like I said, the Commodore is a great venue. That, and Bad Religion love Vancouver.

I am. October is a busy month for me.

boarderwoozel3
08-17-2008, 12:18 AM
They hit evey other city in the NW except for Seattle. Pullman (WSU) gets flogging molly for fuck's sake! Fuck those racist, redneck, frat-loving shits! The WSU people that is.

rage patton
08-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Come to Vancouver for Flogging Molly. That show is gonna be a blast too.

woogie846
08-17-2008, 12:22 AM
are you going to check them out woogie?

I'm gonna have to decide between Gogol and The Aquabats/Rancid. Unless Gogol played early enough at Detour so I could get from downtown to the Fonda, which I doubt.

woogie846
08-17-2008, 12:23 AM

Yeah seriously, what's up with that?

rage patton
08-17-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm gonna have to decide between Gogol and The Aquabats/Rancid. Unless Gogol played early enough at Detour so I could get from downtown to the Fonda, which I doubt.

Ugh. That is a horrible conflict.

boarderwoozel3
08-17-2008, 12:26 AM
I really want to but funds are getting low. I've been to many festivals and shows in the last six months.

And still have Outside Lands to finance.

boarderwoozel3
08-17-2008, 12:27 AM

Brutal.

rage patton
08-17-2008, 12:29 AM
I really want to but funds are getting low. I've been to many festivals and shows in the last six months.

I know how you feel man. I have been to three festivals this year and I am overwhelemed by the amount of shows I have comming up in the next coming months.

Sushov23
08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
They hit evey other city in the NW except for Seattle. Pullman (WSU) gets flogging molly for fuck's sake! Fuck those racist, redneck, frat-loving shits! The WSU people that is.

I noticed they are doing a lot of colleges. What is up with that?

Sushov23
08-17-2008, 12:31 AM

Dude gogol, you can just cath Rancid on another night, plus you just saw the aquabats. another thing is I have a feeling that Gogol might be taking a break after this tour is done.

rage patton
08-17-2008, 12:34 AM
another thing is I have a feeling that Gogol might be taking a break after this tour is done.

I think Eugene Hutz will spontaneously combust if he takes a break.

Sushov23
08-17-2008, 12:37 AM

that could be true, either way. Coachella 09. 3 times in a row, in the words of Hutz, "what the fuck is up, coachella?"

rage patton
08-17-2008, 12:38 AM
I think Gogol should get a residency at Coachella. I am all for a secret Gogol show in the Gobi for 09.

Sushov23
08-17-2008, 12:39 AM
I think Gogol should get a residency at Coachella. I am all for a secret Gogol show in the Gobi for 09.

i would be in the tent by your side like this year man.

woogie846
08-17-2008, 12:40 AM

I wonder how long he'd last in retirement when he gets older.

Sushov23
08-17-2008, 12:42 AM
when was the last time they took a break?

humanoid
08-17-2008, 12:47 AM
I feel they will probably take a break soon, he will fill his time with creating a new record and various acting gigs most likely...

can't wait to see them twice in October!

rage patton
08-17-2008, 11:34 AM
when was the last time they took a break?

I think they took a short break after their tour with Primus. Most likely to record Super Taranta.

I feel they will probably take a break soon, he will fill his time with creating a new record and various acting gigs most likely...

Actually, you are probably right.

boarderwoozel3
08-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Taranta came out 13 months ago so it is about time to get back in the studio.

But they're booked solid through the end of the year. Well, theres a 5 week break in Oct.-Nov.

Sushov23
08-17-2008, 03:04 PM
has it really been that long since Super Taranta came out? I didn't even realize it until now. July 10th. I remember I bought Interpol, Gogol, and something else that day. Anyone remember what other albums released that day.

boarderwoozel3
08-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I found an advance promo copy of Super Taranta in a record shop used CD bin at the end of June, a few weeks before it came out. Never have I swooped a CD so quickly! It was pretty cool.

woogie846
08-17-2008, 03:14 PM
has it really been that long since Super Taranta came out? I didn't even realize it until now. July 10th. I remember I bought Interpol, Gogol, and something else that day. Anyone remember what other albums released that day.

I remember getting the new Gogol and Against Me! albums that same day.

rage patton
08-17-2008, 03:47 PM
The new Bad Religion CD came out that day, as well as the new Reel Big Fish album.

Sushov23
10-01-2008, 10:38 PM
TIME FOR SUPER good times. yes.

paulb
10-01-2008, 10:42 PM
yes, next week is gonna destroy... Sigur Ros and 2 Gogol Bordello shows! Im very excited!

psychoc&ndy
10-02-2008, 01:33 AM
who's seeing gogol at hardly strictly bluegrass

GnarVee
10-02-2008, 05:36 AM
who's seeing gogol at hardly strictly bluegrass

ME!

tubescape
10-02-2008, 09:15 AM
^^ me too.

CalmerThanYou
10-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm seeing them tonight! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

and Saturday @ Detour

I win a part of the GoGolNet

MissingPerson
10-02-2008, 09:17 AM
I've kinda soured on Gogol lately, 'cause Eugene Hutz attitude to Beirut is really shitty. And I like Beirut more.

shakermaker113
10-02-2008, 09:20 AM
I've kinda soured on Gogol lately, 'cause Eugene Hutz attitude to Beirut is really shitty.

explain?

CalmerThanYou
10-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Stop whining girl.

(this is still shocking to me)

Post a pic in the post your picture thread now

Jon Blazed
10-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Your name should be Cooler Than You.

Gogol tommorow night on Freemont Street bitches. Be there or be square.

rage patton
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Who is going to the Anaheim show tonight? Sushov... I know you are. I expect a FULL report.

humanoid
10-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I'll be there in Anaheim tonight, and Detour on Saturday, can't wait

Westy
10-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I'll be there tonight in Anaheim.

CalmerThanYou
10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I like the grove, i think it should be interesting to see them there

Sushov23
10-02-2008, 11:07 AM
TODAY IS THE DAY.

humanoid
10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I like the grove, i think it should be interesting to see them there

I've only been to a few shows at the Grove, glad to not have to drive to LA for once, I feel like I'm driving back and forth to LA every couple days...it's worth it though

CalmerThanYou
10-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I've only been to a few shows at the Grove, glad to not have to drive to LA for once, I feel like I'm driving back and forth to LA every couple days...it's worth it though

HAHA!

QFT

I went to RyG there a couple weeks ago, and it was SOOOOOOO nice not having to drive an hour to get back home...so much sweeter.

MissingPerson
10-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Stop whining girl.

(this is still shocking to me)

Aw, that's alright, my internet-testicles fool everybody.

explain?

Nearly every interview I've read with Hutz, he takes time to take a shot at how much it annoys him when some Western band or other borrows Balkan/ Gypsy styles for their music, and although he doesn't necessarily name who he's talking about, it's fairly clear he means Beirut.

And he rationalises it - I think he did specifically mention his upset at the title of Gulag Orkestar - but what it seems to boil down to, as far as I can see, is that Zach Condon is a white caucasian from New Mexico with the nerve to play music he didn't grow up with. His beef isn't Condon's musicianship, or his songwriting or his singing, it just seems to be a weird territorial thing, and I think it's kind of dickish. He just doesn't think Beirut is "authentic" or whatever.

I mean, even if Condon hadn't ever set foot in Europe or the Balkan, he's still allowed write songs about his idea of it. And to be honest, I think that's the kind of music he makes, I don't think it's meant to be an actual scientific reproduction of a style he's heard, and I think he'd be a lesser musician if it was. It's supposed to be this evocative, stage-setting kind of thing that calls to mind these places that he's never been to and never existed, they're all about yearning for somewhere foreign and beautiful.

It's not very punk, trying to ringfence genres like that. It's even less gypsy-punk, and I think it'd be really sad if musicians weren't allowed dream anymore. So yeah, Hutz has lost me, really.

CalmerThanYou
10-02-2008, 02:58 PM
http://static.flickr.com/76/184684782_6a1aabf7a2.jpg

TONIGHT!

YES!

Sushov23
10-03-2008, 01:30 AM
tomorrow I will put up the set list and blurry, fucked up pics I have. It was hard to take pics. I am very tired. Full report tomorrow RAGE.

clarky123
10-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Gogol Bordello will play at the opening of an envelope.

rage patton
10-03-2008, 09:38 AM
tomorrow I will put up the set list and blurry, fucked up pics I have. It was hard to take pics. I am very tired. Full report tomorrow RAGE.

Calmer's report made the show sound like a blast... as to be expected. But I cant wait to see what you have to say and to see a setlist.

sin213
10-03-2008, 06:21 PM
http://static.flickr.com/76/184684782_6a1aabf7a2.jpg

TONIGHT!

YES!

that's awesome. i've seen em 4 times and never seen the drum surfing...

McAwesome
10-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I went last night, it was awesome (:

chiapet
10-03-2008, 06:58 PM
sunday, in the park, free. <3 SF

mvanwinkle
10-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Gogol was so fucking nuts yesterday. Was in the very front. Passive was as well. I have yet to see a bad gogol show. Is that even possible?

boarderwoozel3
10-06-2008, 10:44 AM
They don't pay bad shows, maybe slightly less awesome, but nowhere near bad. Thursday...

paulb
10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
fri/sat...... fuck, its gonna be crazy. I have no clue how its possibly gonna top The metro show....we'll see though.

PassiveTheory
10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Gogol was so fucking nuts yesterday. Was in the very front. Passive was as well. I have yet to see a bad gogol show. Is that even possible?

Dude you were being DESTROYED by the moshpit, it was funny.

emtgreg
10-06-2008, 08:17 PM
just my .02 cents :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/2917533157_3730d5bee6.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/2918379506_1e911ea87f.jpg

sin213
10-06-2008, 09:15 PM
fri/sat...... fuck, its gonna be crazy. I have no clue how its possibly gonna top The metro show....we'll see though.

i don't see any gogol show topping that metro lolla after show. that shit was crazy!!

PassiveTheory
10-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Here's some of my gogol photos:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/SublimeRHCP/WeekendinSFOctober2008048.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/SublimeRHCP/WeekendinSFOctober2008051.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/SublimeRHCP/WeekendinSFOctober2008053.jpg

And here's Mvanwinkle in the pit:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/SublimeRHCP/WeekendinSFOctober2008050.jpg

EDIT: Here I am!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3007/2916951243_30a16b633d.jpg?v=0

The dude with the baby on his shoulders was awesome, can't believe he brought him into the pit!

EDIT EDIT:

BAM!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2917801924_bd25640236.jpg?v=0

God I love flickr.

mvanwinkle
10-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Dude you were being DESTROYED by the moshpit, it was funny.

lol ya i was getting thrown around pretty well.

rage patton
10-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Awesome pictures Lee. Mark, you incredibly happy to be there. Didn't it get hot wearing that toque?

mvanwinkle
10-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Awesome pictures Lee. Mark, you look incredibly happy to be there. Didn't it get hot wearing that toque?

LOL i had to google toque to make sure it meant beanie or hat. But no i shaved my head a while ago and its growing back pretty fast but I usually keep the beanie on cause my head gets cold with out all the hair it was used to having on its head.

rage patton
10-07-2008, 01:14 PM
You shaved your head? Seriously? Wow. I've done that before too. It feels weird. I cut my hair super short about a week after Coachella this year. I am hoping to have my hair at least as long as it was before for Coachella next year.

mvanwinkle
10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
ya i did well not completly shaved more of a buzz but it felt shaved. ha. it was a big step. but ya thats my goal too is to get it as long as possible by the time coachella comes rolling back around.

rage patton
10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I would feel weird being at Coachella with short hair.

mvanwinkle
10-07-2008, 01:19 PM
The one major thing I have noticed with short hair is at concerts joints dont get passed to me nearly as much as back when my hair was long.

rage patton
10-07-2008, 01:20 PM
I live in Vancouver. I saw no difference in that respect.

mvanwinkle
10-07-2008, 01:22 PM
dont get me wrong josh. they still come through. just not like they used to.

paulb
10-07-2008, 01:26 PM
you guys.... GOGOL in 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mvanwinkle
10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
back to back gogol sounds pretty nice.

CalmerThanYou
10-07-2008, 01:31 PM
back to back gogol sounds pretty nice.

I had back to (free day) back gogol last week....it was awesome.

paulb
10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Seriously, Gogol at The Metro, chicago aftershow, was insane...an 11/10 performance, even better than Radiohead that night. Twas the 1st show where my ears rang after, and my fingers were pruined after the gig... the pits were going off, and it was a killer party...im going to do my best to help recreate that in Vancouver, but hopefully it just happens...but seriously... big expectations from a 2 night stand... we'll see how it goes.

mvanwinkle
10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
gogol at the metro beats gogol 07 at coachella?
really?

paulb
10-07-2008, 02:37 PM
ill need either Boarderwoozle or Sin or someone who saw both to confirm that... I saw Bjork in 07... but the Metro was incredibly insane...and the 2h Chicago set>50min Mojave set i bet.

sbessiso
10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
I dunnooooo, their Ft.Lauderdale show was pretty outrageous too

mvanwinkle
10-07-2008, 02:49 PM
If it beats this paulb all I can say is I wish i was there too.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nljNEh1aVqI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nljNEh1aVqI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

higgybaby23
10-07-2008, 02:55 PM
I've seen 9 Gogol shows, including both Coachella performances. While I think it is fun to debate show quality, Gogol always bring the energy. What really seperates the shows for me is the venue and crowd. The Mojave crowd was one of the most lively that I have experienced.

aeroplanee
10-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I just wanna take a bath with the 2 dancers.

Did anyone here seem them in the pre-gypsy punk days???

mvanwinkle
10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
sadly I did not know of the greatness that is gogol bordello until i luckily walked away from bjork after two songs.

mvanwinkle
10-09-2008, 04:23 PM
You ready for your 2 days of gogol paulb?

boarderwoozel3
10-09-2008, 04:33 PM
ill need either Boarderwoozle or Sin or someone who saw both to confirm that... I saw Bjork in 07... but the Metro was incredibly insane...and the 2h Chicago set>50min Mojave set i bet.

Confirmed. Granted I saw Bjork too but I really don't know how you can top what went down at the Metro, shit was a madhouse! Different vibes though. Based on video and reports from the Coachella 07 set, I'm thinking that they hit the maximum epicness threshold in each setting. They're just such a good band...

How convenient that I'll be seeing Gogol take the stage in about 5 hours :D :D :D I've been hydrating since last night and am trying not to eat anything that will weigh me down i.e. greasy stuff. Hitting Happy Hour before hand may get interesting around 11:15 though :x

rage patton
10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't know if he's ready... but I sure as hell am!!!

sin213
10-09-2008, 06:35 PM
i would confirm it too. the metro was fuckin insane. you just had to be there to understand...

rage patton
10-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Trust me. The Metro show was nothing like the Mojave in 2007. I wasn't at the Metro. I just know though.

rage patton
10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Jesus. I just watched that video posted above. I would give almost ANYTHING to relive that night in the Mojave. Seriously. Everytime I go back and seriously think about that show, it almost seems more like a religous experience than a show. Wait... does ANYONE have the webcast of Gogol in 07? Someone has to have it...

Oh my god. It just dawned on me. I am seeing Gogol Bordello twice in the next two days. I have goosebumps right now. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

sbessiso
10-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I wish there was a way I can transport you guys to the Gogol show @ Culture Room in Ft.Lauderdale. I'm proud of that show and will put it up against whatever you guys have

Sushov23
10-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Jesus. I just watched that video posted above. I would give almost ANYTHING to relive that night in the Mojave. Seriously. Everytime I go back and seriously think about that show, it almost seems more like a religous experience than a show. Wait... does ANYONE have the webcast of Gogol in 07? Someone has to have it...

Oh my god. It just dawned on me. I am seeing Gogol Bordello twice in the next two days. I have goosebumps right now. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

I met a guy at Lolla who saw Gogol at Coachella 07, and at the metro the night before. He said the Metro show was way more EPIC. He also said friday at lolla during the day wasn't that great(I agreed) it wasn't gogol that sucked, it was the fucking crowd.

rage patton
10-09-2008, 08:36 PM
That guy saw Gogol at Coachella wrong then.

Sushov23
10-09-2008, 08:40 PM
he told me he has seen gogol over 10 times man, since early on. I trust his judgement man. He said he saw them when they played with Flogging Molly. According to him it was chaos. Busted lip, and a sprained ankle is what he walked out with(FM shows).

rage patton
10-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I would kill to have gone to the Flogging Molly/Gogol Bordello tour. I wish I was 19 back then. Not only that, but it was Flogging/Gogol one day, that at the same venue the next day, Me First and The Gimme Gimmes played. Argh...

Sushov23
10-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Lolla was great, and I really want to go back next year.

sin213
10-09-2008, 08:48 PM
if you were in that first couple hundred people in the mohave, then yeah, it may compare to the metro...

anything behind that though, not even close. the songs were much more frantic and full of energy at the metro show and the crowd much wilder, than the coachella show.

Sushov23
10-09-2008, 08:51 PM
that is what the dude told, he said EVERYONE was going bonkers at the metro. I don't regret not going though, I wanted to see the Whigs, and the blakes that night.

woogie846
10-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Come back to LA!

disgustipated
10-09-2008, 09:12 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nljNEh1aVqI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nljNEh1aVqI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1:04/1:05 thats me in the cowboy hat.

I have seen Gogol over 10 times now including 3 before the '07 set. The mojave set was by far the best I have been a part of.

woogie846
10-09-2008, 09:16 PM
The Mojave show was absolutely incredible.

Sushov23
10-09-2008, 09:18 PM
of the 5 times I've seen them Coachella 08 was the best, and Lolla 08 was the worst.

boarderwoozel3
10-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Holy shit, Gogol is great every single time! I was dead center 2nd-3rd row of people. My body took some serious abuse this evening. Josh, Paul, get ready... they're as good as ever.

Now, as for Mojave Vs. Metro. They're very different experiences. A semi-restricted festival set Vs. an intimate, marathon set, old school theater show. I know for a fact that they cannot deliver a better small venue set, just can't happen. The ENTIRE VENUE was going nuts, everyone, the floor, back of the floor, the balcony, everyone. And it sounds like the Caochella 07 set was as good as it gets in the festival format. So it all comes down to where you saw them and what format you prefer. Either way, one thing is unanimous: seeing Gogol play live anywhere is an automatic win.

Oh, and I took a friend to his first Gogol show tonight! They delivered as always and blew his mind. Great success!

HOZA!

paulb
10-10-2008, 01:27 AM
oh my god... fuckin GOGOL TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im freakin.... i was rockin so hard on my drive home from work tonight.... Seriously, the Metro was fuckin unreal...i seriously doubt the Mojave had anything on it... but 2 nights at the Commodore, Im gonna make damn sure I live up to the expectations of a real Gogol fan, and help set that place off. Jeez.... Im glad you had fun Jeff, how did it compair to the Metro? lol

boarderwoozel3
10-10-2008, 01:48 AM
It was a great time, but still not even close to Chicago ;)

Man, you guys are so lucky getting them two nights.

paulb
10-10-2008, 01:50 AM
what was the capacity of the venue you just saw them at? Josh is pickin me up so early in the morning tomorrow to see the new Eugene Hutz movie, directed by Madonna for the 11am show downtown...lol.... tomorrow is gonna be rough...

MissingPerson
10-10-2008, 04:02 AM
The curiosity over the Madonna/ Gogol thing is killing me.

woogie846
10-10-2008, 06:04 AM
If I had to rank my Gogol shows, it'd go:

1. The Fonda
2. Coachella '07
3. Detour
4. Coachella '08

The Fonda and Coachella '07 are pretty much a tie though.

rage patton
10-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Today is the fucking day. Seriously. It is hard to keep the excitement contained. You guys may not see me for a while.

paulb
10-10-2008, 07:40 AM
yo that Salah...

paulb
10-10-2008, 08:09 AM
You ready for your 2 days of gogol paulb?

Im ready man! Im pumped... Im off in a few minutes... should be fuckin crazy. Ill let you guys know how the gig went... im sure Rage might need to clean his pants after all this is over.

boarderwoozel3
10-10-2008, 08:32 AM
what was the capacity of the venue you just saw them at? Josh is pickin me up so early in the morning tomorrow to see the new Eugene Hutz movie, directed by Madonna for the 11am show downtown...lol.... tomorrow is gonna be rough...

I caught them at Showbox SoDo, capacity ~1,500, sold out.

What an epic Eugene day! Thats a great idea seeing Mr. Hutz's (aka entertainment chameleon extraordinaire) new film.

sbessiso
10-18-2008, 02:09 PM
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/61/l_64dad3aa1a92400eaa8037f3094feca6.jpg
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/3/l_28e9d88bbbc545e0ab21c3bae82d0ec0.jpg
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/39/l_e150ee40b48c4a9ea07f31b623eae507.jpg
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/18/l_39c1bdf0ea8c4f2f92f5232b845deb06.jpg
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/28/l_d117c092ec484d91b1af6a9e76189439.jpg

paulb
10-18-2008, 02:10 PM
fun times....i wanna see them again....like now.

sbessiso
10-18-2008, 02:12 PM
my FAVORITE venue here! it's where Im gunna see the faint, it hasnt even sunk in how intense and sweaty and CLOSE i will be to them.

TomAz
10-18-2008, 03:59 PM
im sure Rage might need to clean his pants after all this is over.

now he's got someone to do his cleaning for him

MissingPerson
10-18-2008, 04:03 PM
And they say Romance is dead.

rage patton
10-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Hehe. Oh Tom.

By the way. Gogol are working on their new album. Rick Ruban is producing it.

Discuss.

sbessiso
10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
No fucking way. fucking prove it Ragey. the actual rick ruban working on their new album. holy christ, thats goign to be amazing

paulb
10-21-2008, 12:56 PM
stop spelling it wrong fuckers.... Rick Rubin is producing it!? thats fuckin crazy...that guy has a million projects on at once, no wonder he is never in the studio while he is 'producing' That makes me excited... it should be good, and will prob bring Gogol more in the publics eye, and get them even bigger... lets hope he doesnt fuck up the sound on the album and have clicking...

paulb
10-21-2008, 12:58 PM
or is there some Rick Ruban ive never heard of?

rage patton
10-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Sorry. Rubin.

CS: But what's going on with the music in terms of your next album?
Hutz: Yeah, yeah, we're going to be making a record with Rick Rubin... maybe that's not ready to be mentioned. (Oops, we just did.)

Find the interview here. (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=49631) In the interview, Eugene Hutz also Talk about people asking why they don't do the bassdrum crowd surf anymore. His response? "What the fuck!?"

humanoid
10-21-2008, 01:30 PM
It's difficult to tell what impact this may have on the album...Rick Rubin has produced some fantastic albums, and some pure shit over the years too