PDA

View Full Version : Wall-E

Trick Loves The Kids
06-26-2008, 09:53 PM
GONNA BE SO AWESOME

I'm seeing it in two hours.

gratytrainridesagain
06-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm so excited for this movie, this girl that I'm somewhat seeing is freaking out about this

luckyface
06-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I will be seeing it tomorrow night at El Capitan.

Mr. Dylanja
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
I heard this E movie got RAVE reviews...

C DUB YA
06-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Just got back from the midnighter.

WALL-E is simply amazing. Wonderful storytelling, subtle humor, and of course, out of this world visuals. A treat for any movie fan at any age.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Just got back from the midnighter.

WALL-E is simply amazing. Wonderful storytelling, subtle humor, and of course, out of this world visuals. A treat for any movie fan at any age.

I can't wait to see it, but the big question on mine and everybody else's minds is, "better than Iron Man?" Or, well even though it's a different category but nevertheless the second best movie of the year, better than Forgetting Sarah Marshall? In other words, I know Wall-E is going to be fantastic but is it going to be one of the best movies of 2008?

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes.

Easily the best film of 08 - so far.

There is something that Pixar has tackled here that trumps most of their best work. Wall-E is not the funniest Pixar film, but it is the smartest - by a long shot. Sure it'll tug on the heart strings, but it does it in a way that is soooo, grown up, you'll feel like a kid again. Does that make sense? Prolly not.

For me - it was better than Iron Man (which I loved), because it did a lot more with a lot less. There are timely messages about the state of the planet, the human race, the consumption the world is seeing, respect, love, humor, isolation, fear, desperation... it's all there and told with the most amazing visuals the animated screen has ever seen.

Makes the very best Dreamworks picture look like the Love Guru. And that ain't good.

whynotsmile99
06-27-2008, 12:11 AM
yes, can't wait to see it. Looks incredible, apparently there is minimal dialog as well which will be interesting to see.

I still haven't seen Ratattui but its coming on Netflix. How is that? As long as it's better than Cars I'm happy, the only pixar movie i didn't like.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Yes.

Easily the best film of 08 - so far.

There is something that Pixar has tackled here that trumps most of their best work. Wall-E is not the funniest Pixar film, but it is the smartest - by a long shot. Sure it'll tug on the heart strings, but it does it in a way that is soooo, grown up, you'll feel like a kid again. Does that make sense? Prolly not.

For me - it was better than Iron Man (which I loved), because it did a lot more with a lot less. There are timely messages about the state of the planet, the human race, the consumption the world is seeing, respect, love, humor, isolation, fear, desperation... it's all there and told with the most amazing visuals the animated screen has ever seen.

Makes the very best Dreamworks picture look like the Love Guru. And that ain't good.

Did you see Forgetting Sarah Marshall or In Bruges, the two most underrated films of this year so far??

Check them out. Anyway, I respect your opinon and I'll check out Wall-E, but watch those two films. They are both masterpieces in their respective genres.

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 12:20 AM
In Bruges is my second favorite film of the year, I just bought it on Tuesday

1. Wall-E
2. In Bruges
3. Control
4. Iron Man
5. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

luckyface
06-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Is it true that there is no dialogue for the first 30 minutes? One of my friends worked on the video game and saw an early screening. Did they change that at all?

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 12:24 AM
yes, can't wait to see it. Looks incredible, apparently there is minimal dialog as well which will be interesting to see.

I still haven't seen Ratattui but its coming on Netflix. How is that? As long as it's better than Cars I'm happy, the only pixar movie i didn't like.

Right there with you, Cars is the only Pixar movie I didn't like as well. Something about it is just flat and predictable, and boring too? It was weird, shouldn't have been that way. I still don't know why I dislike it so.

Ratatouille is very good too, for me The Incredibles is my fave, but that has a lot to do with the style of it. Still think Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc. are slightly better than Ratatouille, but they're all good.

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Is it true that there is no dialogue for the first 30 minutes? One of my friends worked on the video game and saw an early screening. Did they change that at all?

It is very true - no dialogue what-so-ever for the first 35 minutes easy.

Prolly not very much the entire film now that I think about it. Humans, and human voices, are VERY secondary.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 12:34 AM
In Bruges is my second favorite film of the year, I just bought it on Tuesday

1. Wall-E
2. In Bruges
3. Control
4. Iron Man
5. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Great list but just FYI, Control was last year.

The no dialogue in the first part of Wall-E remind me of 2001. I need to see Wall-E!

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Great list but just FYI, Control was last year.

Oh I know, I went to a screening at our art Museum back in March, so we go it a bit late here.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 12:51 AM
It's cool man, I'm actually from Ohio (Cincinnnati) and I went to Ohio State. Bootsy Collins, Bone Thugs and Racon - fucking - teurs represent!!!!

Sushov23
06-27-2008, 12:52 AM
Oh I know, I went to a screening at our art Museum back in March, so we go it a bit late here.

fuck I need to watch CONTROL.

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 01:03 AM

its out on dvd now

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:03 AM

That you do, Samantha Morton is a goddess of acting, she makes Nicole Kidman look like an amateur. Not to mention Sam Reily, his version of Transmission makes Joy Division seem much more epic than they ever were. This is coming from a huge JD fan as Love Will Tear Us Apart is one of my top five favorite songs ever. Control reminds me, in many ways, of Raging Bull. Obviously, it's not as good since Scorsese is a god but there are many similarities.

Sushov23
06-27-2008, 01:08 AM
i'm gonna go look for it tomorrow.

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 01:42 AM
i have total blind faith in Pixar, with the exception of "cars" which I didnt even bother seeing, every Pixar movie has been absolutely amazing

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 01:43 AM
WANTED looks soo good too

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Anvil!

Trick Loves The Kids
06-27-2008, 02:46 AM
SO DOPE.

sonofhal
06-27-2008, 02:50 AM
Wall-E is not released until the 18th July in the UK, so it'll be a while before i see it.

Lurker_in_a_tree
06-27-2008, 03:48 AM
wall-e lives up to any expectations of pixar brilliance.
I hope it makes them a jillion dollars and they work with the same people for the next 50 years.
I want the toys, right now. All the misfit robots from the repair ward.

control? disappointing and overrated. I thought his singing was a little too pretty-boy, and I wasn't expecting it to be almost exclusively about his love life, which just wasn't as interesting as a story of joy division would have been (isn't a joy division movie coming out soon?)

Backwater
06-27-2008, 03:56 AM
wall-e lives up to any expectations of pixar brilliance.
I hope it makes them a jillion dollars and they work with the same people for the next 50 years.
I want the toys, right now. All the misfit robots from the repair ward.

control? disappointing and overrated. I thought his singing was a little too pretty-boy, and I wasn't expecting it to be almost exclusively about his love life, which just wasn't as interesting as a story of joy division would have been (isn't a joy division movie coming out soon?)

Pretty boy? Exclusive love story? Did you onlu watch 20 minutes of it? Yes? Leave. Thanks!

Lurker_in_a_tree
06-27-2008, 04:41 AM
I saw the whole thing, ass.
And yes, anyone who isn't completely blind could see that the movie focused on his failed relationships.
And his singing voice was completely wrong for the movie.
Don't be such a fanboy twit.

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 08:07 AM
The Wall-E toys look kinda cool.

Mr.Nipples
06-27-2008, 08:11 AM
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/RetardoTronFiveThousand/1214387213630.jpg

SFChrissy
06-27-2008, 08:14 AM
My boys are hammering to see this movie tonight...I told them not till saturday or sunday matinee...

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 08:16 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm..... coincidence?........oh yea, totally....

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/wall-e-poster1-big.jpg http://www.judiciaryreport.com/images/johnny-5-4-22-08-2.jpg

well... ok...

http://www.impawards.com/2008/posters/wall_e.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/shortcircuit-poster-big.jpghttp://www.filmsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/short_circuit.jpg

....huh?

SFChrissy
06-27-2008, 08:17 AM
^^^your good...I was wondering why he looked so familiar...

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 08:22 AM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l242/Sempta311/jonny5.jpg

Johnny 5 is a REAL american... Wall E is a terrorist... BEWARE!

menikmati
06-27-2008, 09:31 AM
I can't believe some people really hate Cars. I don't know, guess I'm the only one here who when I was a little kid, would get all his hot wheels and matchbox cars out and set up some big ol' car city and make them all talk to each other. That movie really hit home for me.

Heresy
06-27-2008, 09:38 AM
I'm going to watch Wall E tonight after I get off of work :)

I really like pixar movies. Cars was ok..I missed half of it due to certain distractions, but I thought it was cute (from what I saw).

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 10:56 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm..... coincidence?........oh yea, totally....

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/wall-e-poster1-big.jpg http://www.judiciaryreport.com/images/johnny-5-4-22-08-2.jpg

well... ok...

http://www.impawards.com/2008/posters/wall_e.jpg

http://www.firstshowing.net/img/shortcircuit-poster-big.jpghttp://www.filmsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/short_circuit.jpg

....huh?

they used the same guy (Eric Allard) that designed Johnny 5, when coming up with Wall-E, no coincidence at all.

Pixar talked about this when they first released pics of Wall-E, had something to do with, because Johnny 5 actually worked when it was made back in the 80's - so they wanted a robot based in reality that was closely timed to our current time period. Thus creating a more dynamic difference when you see the other "newer" robots that don't look like him at all.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 11:17 AM
I can't get excited about this movie.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Well, you're doing it wrong.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I know. I'm just not sure why there is so much excitement. Must be a guy thing.

PotVsKtl
06-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Nobody gives a fuck about your desires Amy. Go breast feed your litter to an inappropriate age.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Oh damn. I was hoping you'd tell me what I was doing wrong when I saw your name there, pot. Bad on you.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 11:31 AM
i have total blind faith in Pixar, with the exception of "cars" which I didnt even bother seeing, every Pixar movie has been absolutely amazing

I assumed the same thing about Cars, and even that was pretty great. Like, for a Pixar movie it was weak, but it's still a solid 7/10 IMO. I might even like it better than Bugs Life. It helps that I live in the part of the southwest that was being depicted, and I've met all those "people" (even though they were cars).

It did take me about 10 minutes to get over the concept of a world populated only by cars. For example, the Toy Story movies are about a separate world WITHIN the real world. Cars is set in some kind of a alternate universe alltogether, which makes it harder to take. Once you get used to the fact that's it's a movie where the people just happen to be vehicles, it touches on the same bits of human experience as all their films.

Pixar packs more human emotion into their worst film about inanimate objects than Michael Bay could in a hundred live action movies. Which is the only reason I have faith in Wall-E, because it looks like total crap to me...Heartbeeps crossed with Short Circuit? Only Pixar can figure out how to make that work.

Pixiessp
06-27-2008, 11:36 AM

I'm with you on that one Amyzzz.

Hannahrain
It did take me about 10 minutes to get over the concept of a world populated only by cars.

Is it really possible to have a hard time with characters being cars when for the last eighty or ninety years or so, nearly every mainstream fairy tale has been re-told in cartoon form with animals playing all the human roles? I mean, you know Robin Hood wasn't really a fox, right? Or what about the old Pixar short with the desk lamps? It was pretty effective. And it was about lamps. Lamps.

You also can't deny that most cars look like they have faces. I think for most kids, it's a pretty natural jump from car to talking car.

HowToDisappear
One of my girls has an internship at Pixar this summer, so she got an extra ticket for her sister and they watched the private screening last weekend at the studio. Needless to say, they were supremely stoked.

Dear ol' mom and dad must wait for the sunday matinee here at the local movie house. We're excited.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I mean, you know Robin Hood wasn't really a fox, right?]

!!?

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 11:40 AM
And chickens can't even play stringed instruments.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 11:41 AM
NO!!!!!!!

menikmati
06-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Is it really possible to have a hard time with characters being cars when for the last eighty or ninety years or so, nearly every mainstream fairy tale has been re-told in cartoon form with animals playing all the human roles? I mean, you know Robin Hood wasn't really a fox, right? Or what about the old Pixar short with the desk lamps? It was pretty effective. And it was about lamps. Lamps.

You also can't deny that most cars look like they have faces. I think for most kids, it's a pretty natural jump from car to talking car.

Thank you. I guess he can't be turned on by movies like Charlotte's Web, Land Before Time, or Brave Little Toaster either.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 11:44 AM
The Brave Little Toaster is exquisite. Thank you for reminding me about it.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 11:46 AM
they used the same guy (Eric Allard) that designed Johnny 5, when coming up with Wall-E, no coincidence at all.

dude... i was being sarcastic... damn.

Pixar talked about this when they first released pics of Wall-E, had something to do with, because Johnny 5 actually worked when it was made back in the 80's - so they wanted a robot based in reality that was closely timed to our current time period. Thus creating a more dynamic difference when you see the other "newer" robots that don't look like him at all.

so they created a "robot based in reality that was closely timed to our current time period" by mimicking one that was made in 1986? awesomely original and intelligent of them! (that was sarcaism there too if you didn't catch it)

Young blood
06-27-2008, 11:47 AM
cartoons r serious business.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 11:47 AM
4 realz

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 11:48 AM
you better watch it, Johnny 5 will fuck you up...

http://www.johnny-five.com/images/sc/scenes/evilsaint.jpg

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I want more Miyazaki cartoons.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Im going to see it at the plush landmark theater. Tickets are 12 bucks but I get unlimited popcorn and soda. so excited.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 11:51 AM
nMa14AxhiQ8

miscorrections
06-27-2008, 11:52 AM
I want to see this but I don't want to pay because I am against paying ridiculous movie prices. I will probably make my friend get me in free.

rage patton
06-27-2008, 11:56 AM
The Brave Little Toaster is exquisite. Thank you for reminding me about it.

I was just about to say the same thing. Also, everytime Little Foots mom died in the Land Before Time, I would cry.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 11:57 AM
I was just about to say the same thing. Also, everytime Little Foots mom died in the Land Before Time, I would cry.
How many times did his mom die? You phrased that oddly.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 12:00 PM
:(

AgJhVgK0tPI

Young blood
06-27-2008, 12:03 PM
no one posted this yet?

http://failblog.org/2008/06/26/bambi-fail/?bambi

menikmati
06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
:'(

-eHr-9_6hCg

Heresy
06-27-2008, 12:06 PM

Hahahaha. I totally forgot about The Land Before Time and The Brave Little Toaster. I wanna watch them again soon.

Blinken
06-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Brave little Toaster is awesome, i just saw part of it again and i forgot how depressing it is. Especially the song at the junk yard when all the cars are getting crushed

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
Speaking of awesome things I had forgotten about, remember this? Thomas Dolby wrote the song and Tim Curry sang it. Song starts at about 0:55.

4PLQ1XfaTuU

Heresy
06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Brave little Toaster is awesome, i just saw part of it again and i forgot how depressing it is. Especially the song at the junk yard when all the cars are getting crushed

I dont remember the song...however I remember that big orange magnet thing chasing the toaster, lamp, vacuum and radio around haha.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 12:15 PM
-UfsEj7AOGI

whynotsmile99
06-27-2008, 12:17 PM
this has nothing to do with Wall E but I'm going to throw it in the mix anyway

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1819013?=sf

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 12:23 PM

Its worthy of any you can muster - it is great on all levels.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 12:35 PM

That wasn't my point. Toy Story is about inanimate objects too, as is The Brave Little Toaster. But they exist in an otherwise normal world.

Animals are a different story too. Actually, it's interesting you bring up Robin Hood, because that is one of the odder ones. I always found it slightly strange, because the animals are playing human roles. I guess the fact that it takes place in a forest helps.

You say "nearly every" fairy tale has been remade that way, but I can't think of any others. I'm sure there are a few, but they don't spring to mind. Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Belle, Aladdin, King Arthur, Mowgli, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Pocahontas, The Hunchback, Alice, Peter Pan ect...all humans. Yeah, they TALK to animals sometimes, but that's different.

Also, movies like Lion King, Lady & The Tramp, ect. are a different case. Lion King is about animals in the jungle. Lady & The Tramp, and the Dalmations are still dogs, and they live in a human's house. Those animals in Over The Hedge are still animals, trying to deal with human society. Dumbo is a circus animal. The Aristocats may have cat jazz clubs, but they still get chased by humans and treated like cats. I haven't seen Brother Bear, but I'm willing to bet that they live in the forest. I bet they don't put on a suit and work on Wall Street.

Cars is in an alternate universe where cars are the only "lifeform". It's like...why do they exist? How did this happen? They live in a world full of nature and beauty, but no humans or animals. It's very, very odd, even by cartoon standards. I'm not saying that's a bad thing...it's actually an incredibly original idea. But it took me a few minutes to accept, and it probably explains why some people don't like it.

Even Monsters Inc, which probably has THE most original premise of all the Pixar films, depends on a link to the "real world".

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 12:36 PM
yes and yes. I agree with this

miscorrections
06-27-2008, 12:39 PM
I loved the Disney version of Robin Hood. Love.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 12:43 PM
BTW, The Iron Giant owns all inanimate object cartoons.
ytcEWAZOXnQ

Young blood
06-27-2008, 12:45 PM
I didnt like cars because it reminded me of thomas the train. Thats some fucked up british shit right there. George carlin and ringo were pretty sweet conductors though.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 12:46 PM
That wasn't my point. Toy Story is about inanimate objects too, as is The Brave Little Toaster. But they exist in an otherwise normal world.

Animals are a different story too. Actually, it's interesting you bring up Robin Hood, because that is one of the odder ones. I always found it slightly strange, because the animals are playing human roles. I guess the fact that it takes place in a forest helps.

You say "nearly every" fairy tale has been remade that way, but I can't think of any others. I'm sure there are a few, but they don't spring to mind. Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Belle, Aladdin, King Arthur, Mowgli, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Pocahontas, The Hunchback, Alice, Peter Pan ect...all humans. Yeah, they TALK to animals sometimes, but that's different.

Also, movies like Lion King, Lady & The Tramp, ect. are a different case. Lion King is about animals in the jungle. Lady & The Tramp, and the Dalmations are still dogs, and they live in a human's house. Those animals in Over The Hedge are still animals, trying to deal with human society. Dumbo is a circus animal. The Aristocats may have cat jazz clubs, but they still get chased by humans and treated like cats. I haven't seen Brother Bear, but I'm willing to bet that they live in the forest. I bet they don't put on a suit and work on Wall Street.

Cars is in an alternate universe where cars are the only "lifeform". It's like...why do they exist? How did this happen? They live in a world full of nature and beauty, but no humans or animals. It's very, very odd, even by cartoon standards. I'm not saying that's a bad thing...it's actually an incredibly original idea. But it took me a few minutes to accept, and it probably explains why some people don't like it.

Even Monsters Inc, which probably has THE most original premise of all the Pixar films, depends on a link to the "real world".

Have you heard of something called "imagination"? Many animators have this. Cartoonist have this. I'm sure everyone at Pixar has this. In fact, pretty much everyone SHOULD have this. The fact that a lack of a link to the "real world" in a cartoon could make you partially dislike a film/cartoon is sad. If people don't like Cars because of the story or the annoying Larry the Cable guy character, fine....but just because you can't grasp the idea of a talking car world in a CARTOON, that shouldn't be an excuse. It's a CARTOON. I grew up playing cars. The idea isn't that original nor far fetched.

luckyface
06-27-2008, 12:54 PM

http://sidesalad.net/archives/DebbieDownerRachaelDratch.jpg

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 12:55 PM

I understand why you feel the way you do. But, you're overthinking it. It's a children's movie. You know, for the kids. If there are children running around (actually, they'd be more likely to be walking carefully at a reasonable pace so that they don't get their onesies dirty) saying "I really enjoyed when Mommy rented A Bug's Life, but I didn't like when Daddy took me to see Cars because I didn't think it had enough basis in reality to be believable", their parents should perforated through the center with some form of very stylized cartoon weapon.

Kids (and a good many imaginative adults) don't need a basis in reality. And if they do, they're probably assholes.

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 12:57 PM
and on that note - everyone go see WALL-E. You'll be glad you did.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I heard its a good idea to stay through the credits not only for the peter gabriel score but for other goodies at the end. Is this true? with out giving any spoilers...

menikmati
06-27-2008, 01:05 PM
I think there are just "goodies" during the credits, but not after.

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah nothing big - not an Iron Man scene or anything like that. The credits are their normal cool.

Oh almost forgot, if (when) you go, don't be late - the Pixar short playing before Wall-E, PRESTO, is one of the best ones they've done as well. It's about a magician and the credits for that are fantastic. Done in a turn of the century Harry Houdini poster style. Superb graphic design and art direction.

This poster for it is not quite that, but is still nice.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/presto1.jpg

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 01:18 PM
I guess I was just confused about the love here for this since it's a kids movie and you all usually don't like them. However, I forgot that it is Pixar. There have been so many bad, bad kids' movies lately.

Also, I've seen the trailer, and the robot just seems silly to me. I never liked Short Circuit, so maybe that's part of why I feel apathetic. On the other hand, I did like a lot of other Pixar movies, so I'm trying to understand what is appealing because maybe I'm missing out. But yeah, looks silly.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Have you heard of something called "imagination"? Many animators have this. Cartoonist have this. I'm sure everyone at Pixar has this. In fact, pretty much everyone SHOULD have this. The fact that a lack of a link to the "real world" in a cartoon could make you partially dislike a film/cartoon is sad. If people don't like Cars because of the story or the annoying Larry the Cable guy character, fine....but just because you can't grasp the idea of a talking car world in a CARTOON, that shouldn't be an excuse. It's a CARTOON. I grew up playing cars. The idea isn't that original nor far fetched.

Where did I say I didn't like it? I actually jumped into the Cars conversation to defend it. In my mind, an original concept is a GOOD thing. I gave like thirty examples of cartoons that Cars is different from. I could give 30 more if you like. In this specific way, it is different from just about every film. I can't come up with ONE other film set in this kind of world. It's not that I "can't grasp the idea of talking cars". YOU are missing the subtlety of the concept. The frickin' Love Bug may have been "alive", but Dean Jones still got inside him and drove him around. Same for Christine. The Brave Little Toaster was owned by a person and made toast for him. He didn't run for mayor against the radio and the vaccum.

It may not be a particularly original story (which is my only criticism of it), but as a film concept, it is very different. Which, since you "can't seem to grasp the idea", is a GOOD thing, in my book. GENUINE alternate realities are unusual in film. Most fantasy is still rooted in the "real world". Cars is not. It's a bold concept, and I APPLAUD them for it BECAUSE I ENJOYED IT!

The people who said they DIDN'T like it (not me) couldn't give a reason or said it was "weird". THEY are the ones seeing the distinction, but they can't verbalize it. YOU just see talking cars, which was a game you played as a kid. Cool, good for you, we both agree it's a good movie. But I'm not the one with less imagination.

Goddamn it, leave it to you to suck the joy out of a fun conversation, you condicending prick.

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I guess I was just confused about the love here for this since it's a kids movie and you all usually don't like them. However, I forgot that it is Pixar. There have been so many bad, bad kids' movies lately.

Also, I've seen the trailer, and the robot just seems silly to me. I never liked Short Circuit, so maybe that's part of why I feel apathetic. On the other hand, I did like a lot of other Pixar movies, so I'm trying to understand what is appealing because maybe I'm missing out. But yeah, looks silly.

While there is slapstick humor in there overall - its about as far away from silly as a Pixar movie can be.

Here, from Aint It Cool:

To say this is a masterpiece of family filmmaking is no surprise. It is Pixar, afterall. To say it’s a masterpiece of Science Fiction storytelling is a bigger surprise. The future told here is a dark one, the implications of HAL-9000-like twisted programming machinery and an almost totalitarian robot regime on the space ship are all much darker in tone than I imagined we’d see in a family film. Especially when compared with the first few trailers that hit.

But it’s a testament to Wall-E as a personality that he keeps the movie from being depressing. His neverending kindness, optimism and seemingly unlimited cuteness infects not just the audience, but all the characters he interacts with.

There’s also a bit of a Christ parallel thrown in for good measure.

That’s all in the subtext. On the very top surface it’s a goofy cute robot overcoming some obstacles and making everybody smile. There's just so much more underneath. What’s great about this is that kids will love it now and when they revisit it in 10 years time they’ll see it in a whole new light.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Where did I say I didn't like it? I actually jumped into the Cars conversation to defend it. In my mind, an original concept is a GOOD thing. I gave like thirty examples of cartoons that Cars is different from. I could give 30 more if you like. In this specific way, it is different from just about every film. I can't come up with ONE other film set in this kind of world. It's not that I "can't grasp the idea of talking cars". YOU are missing the subtlety of the concept. The frickin' Love Bug may have been "alive", but Dean Jones still got inside him and drove him around. Same for Christine. The Brave Little Toaster was owned by a person and made toast for him. He didn't run for mayor against the radio and the vaccum.

It may not be a particularly original story (which is my only criticism of it), but as a film concept, it is very different. Which, since you "can't seem to grasp the idea", is a GOOD thing, in my book. GENUINE alternate realities are unusual in film. Most fantasy is still rooted in the "real world". Cars is not. It's a bold concept, and I APPLAUD them for it BECAUSE I ENJOYED IT!

The people who said they DIDN'T like it (not me) couldn't give a reason or said it was "weird". THEY are the ones seeing the distinction, but they can't verbalize it. YOU just see talking cars, which was a game you played as a kid. Cool, good for you, we both agree it's a good movie. But I'm not the one with less imagination.

I didn't say you didn't like it...learn to read...I said you knocked the film a little bit because it didn't have a link to the "real human world" (which IS what you said). And what are you rambling on with Love Bug about? You were comparing Cars to it, then its like your idea or whatever point you wanted to make just disappeared. It's a movie with characters who are cars, set in a world where ONLY cars exist....nothing more to argue or speculate or compare over. Like I said before, if you wanna knock the film down a bit (not saying you don't like it) because of the story or some annoying character fine, but the concept? It's a cartoon, usually made for kids....these things aren't made to be taken seriously, so I just don't understand how the lack of any humans in the film could irritate somebody, unless they're pretty uptight or something...

Goddamn it, leave it to you to suck the joy out of a fun conversation, you condicending prick.

Would like me to pop in Love Bug, give you some kleenex and a box of gobstoppers? Will you feel better? There there.

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
I'll try and give it a shot.

I'll say that I think the plot line in Cars seemed a bit stretched out for me, the film seemed long and dragged a bit in the last half while they built up all of Lightning McQueen's new relationships in Radiator Springs. Plus it was very predictable, more so than other Pixar fare.

I grew very tired of Lightning fixing the road, for example.

I also understand the cars as people thing being a slight barrier in terms of developing the characters. it's just a longer bridge your asking some viewers to cross.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I understand why you feel the way you do. But, you're overthinking it. It's a children's movie. You know, for the kids. If there are children running around (actually, they'd be more likely to be walking carefully at a reasonable pace so that they don't get their onesies dirty) saying "I really enjoyed when Mommy rented A Bug's Life, but I didn't like when Daddy took me to see Cars because I didn't think it had enough basis in reality to be believable", their parents should perforated through the center with some form of very stylized cartoon weapon.

Kids (and a good many imaginative adults) don't need a basis in reality. And if they do, they're probably assholes.

The whole reason I love Pixar movies, is because they AREN'T children's movies. They are far more complex for the most part. They are FILMS that are appropriate for children. They are worthy of analyzing. This is a good thing. I don't have any children. As far as I know, the people who post here are CHILDISH sometimes, but they aren't children. I don't know what a onsie is.

I don't know why you guys are taking analysis as criticism. Or why you think criticism automatically means I don't LIKE something. If I like something, I'll tend to be more critical of it. Why waste my time with something uninteresting. I prefer not to watch films with my mouth open and say "huhuuuu...coool."

And you still didn't give me any other examples of fairy tales where animals play all the main human roles. I'm not taunting you. I actually think it's really interesting. I had never thought about Robin Hood that way...it IS really different from other Disney films.

Overthinking...I so hate that word. There not enough thinking being done in this country. Why am I an asshole because I like to think? Oh, there are plenty of other reasons I'm an asshole, but cognitive thought shouldn't be one.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I'll try and give it a shot.

I'll say that I think the plot line in Cars seemed a bit stretched out for me, the film seemed long and dragged a bit in the last half while they built up all of Lightning McQueen's new relationships in Radiator Springs. Plus is was very predictable, more so than other Pixar fare because there wasn't the break in the same ole same ole.

I grew very tired of Lightning fixing the road, for example.

Well see that's different...that's arguing that the storyline itself didn't do it for you, which is fine. Not liking certain characters or sequences is a lot different than saying "I get irritated by this film somewhat because it's a cartoon that doesn't have any humans". See that doesn't make sense, but not like the storyline because scenes might of dragged on a bit too much does.

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Let me rank now that I'm thinking about it. (this always changes)

PIXAR FILMS

1. The Incredibles (10)
2. Wall-E (10)
3. Toy Story 2 (10)
4. Finding Nemo (9)
5. Monsters Inc. (9)
6. Toy Story (8)
7. Ratatoullie (8)
8. A Bugs Life (7)
8. Cars (7)

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
TOO SOON

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Never.

I need no buffer time, or jaded opinion time.

When I say this list changes - it just changes when a new movie comes out, I feel the same way today about Cars as I did when I saw it in the theater.

C'mon Amy - you KNOW Wall-E is gonna kick your ass with awesomeness, just give in already.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 01:46 PM
DO IT AMY! JUMP! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't want to watch it just because everyone else is.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Theres no peer pressurez here.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 01:49 PM
You'll be the most popular girl on the internet.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Just say no! Or give the coldz shoulders!

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't want to watch it just because everyone else is.

you should want to watch it because you know it's good stuff.

Plus anything scanning a 97 after 120 reviews on RT is pretty much a sure bet.

just sayin

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wall_e/

Young blood
06-27-2008, 01:56 PM
If you hate it just take out your frustration on your on kids for making you see it.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
TOY STORY 4 LYF BIOTCHEZ!!!

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I've got no deadlines today...let's go...

I didn't say you didn't like it...learn to read...

Sorry, the works "you" and "dislike" in the same sentence with only a modifier in between must have thrown me. :rolleyes

I said you knocked the film a little bit because it didn't have a link to the "real human world" (which IS what you said).

Yes, I said all those things. But not at the same time. I "knocked it" because the storyline was a bit weak. I realize I may not have been explicit about this the first time, but I thought spelling it out, followed by "That's my only criticism" in another post would have cleared things up.

Not having a link to the "real human world" actually made it better in my mind. It just took me 10 minutes of thinking "why is this so unusual?" to figure it out. Once I did, I enjoyed it MORE. I was pointing out that some people may not have figured it out.

And what are you rambling on with Love Bug about? You were comparing Cars to it

Yes. They are both about vehicles who function autonomously (no pun intended.)

, then its like your idea or whatever point you wanted to make just disappeared.

I apologize for giving you too much credit for being able to connect the dots. I'll finish the thought...

"The frickin' Love Bug may have been "alive", but Dean Jones still got inside him and drove him around. And in Cars, he didn't."

See, I'm contrasting the two things. Here, I'll elaborate...

"neither did anyone else"

It's a movie with characters who are cars, set in a world where ONLY cars exist.

Finally, we agree on something. You really should put up spoiler alerts for the others, though. :rolleyes

...nothing more to argue or speculate or compare over.

Well, I agree it's been run into the ground, but we are still on opposite sides. I think it's an original concept and you don't. I will also belatedly take issue with your usage of the word "far-fetched". You COULD come up with an example that proves I'm totally wrong about it being unique. In fact, I've thought of one, which I only have a half-hearted answer for, but I'm not going to offer up ammo to the enemy.

But "the idea isn't...far fetched"? So, you really believe this world could exist?

Like I said before, if you wanna knock the film down a bit (not saying you don't like it) because of the story or some annoying character fine,

Which I did. Oh, I didn't even mind the redneck guy. Just kinda a weak story.

but the concept?

Is brilliant.

It's a cartoon, usually made for kids....these things aren't made to be taken seriously

I hate to quote the New York Post, but this is from their Wall-E review...

"barbed political satire...Arguably the darkest animated feature ever released by Disney (after "Pinocchio") and certainly the most political, "WALL-E" presents a bleak and brilliantly detailed vision of the future...some of it inspired by the French comedian Jacques Tati...This is a hugely ambitious theme for a G-rated family flick, and "WALL-E" takes risks that must have given Pixar's consumer-oriented corporate overlords at Disney pause...Swiftian...dystopian universe...There is far too much going on in "WALL-E" to take in during a single sitting...Some day, there will be college courses devoted to this movie...most great works of art are inherently subversive."

So I can't be a pretentious geek just for fun? It's OK if I get payed, but if not, I'm an ass? And who are you to judge what is worth talking about and what is to be taken seriously? Particularly on THIS message board, which overthinks, overanalyzes, and overpraises (or overcriticizes) nearly every minutia of the music industry. So, I like to watch films actively. How is that any different than the fucking endless Radiohead deconstruction that goes on regularly?

, so I just don't understand how the lack of any humans in the film could irritate somebody,

Putting words in my mouth again.

unless they're pretty uptight or something...

Said the man who has admitted to having no sense of humor.

Would like me to pop in Love Bug, give you some kleenex and a box of gobstoppers? Will you feel better? There there.

I won't need Kleenex unless it's the Lindsay Lohan version.

Wait...that sounded disgusting. Kleenex for CRYING. Because the movie's so bad.

I'm sorry I called you a prick. And I'm sorry that you are an emotionless empty vessel. You seem like a nice guy otherwise. I just cannot get a fucking read on you. Those cooking videos are either the most hilarious or tragic things I've ever seen

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
And you still didn't give me any other examples of fairy tales where animals play all the main human roles. I'm not taunting you. I actually think it's really interesting. I had never thought about Robin Hood that way...it IS really different from other Disney films.

I didn't read back onto the last page until just now, so sorry this is so delayed.

All of Disney's main characters are played by animals. Mickey Mouse. Donald Duck. Goofy. All of them are animals that are playing human roles. They have pets and cars and relationships. I did jump the gun saying "fairy tales", though. I will give you that one. But it's pretty irrelevant, seeing as how realism is NOT what gives any of those movies their charm or worth.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 03:11 PM
I might go if my husband gets roused up by the hype and says he wants to go. I don't think my kids have heard of it yet.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 03:13 PM
How is that any different than the fucking endless Radiohead deconstruction that goes on regularly?

It's different because it's interesting.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 03:15 PM
I also understand the cars as people thing being a slight barrier in terms of developing the characters. it's just a longer bridge your asking some viewers to cross.

Thank you for distilling that down, that was an excellent way to put it.

I'm proud of overthinking, but sometimes I'm guilty of overwriting.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Overthinking can set you back just as much as it can help you. If all you do is toil mentally over everything, you're never going to get a damn thing done.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 03:20 PM
And I'm not even talking about the goddamn movies anymore. I'm talking about people who can't accept something unless it's got a deeper meaning. Some things are plenty worthwhile at face value.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm done now.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 03:28 PM
9:20, 2 tickets, vip reserved, cocktail service.

I have never gone out of my way for a movie like this before. Im stoked.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 03:30 PM
9:20, 2 tickets, vip reserved, cocktail service.

I have never gone out of my way for a movie like this before. Im stoked.

someone needs a pat on the back.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 03:31 PM
roll out the red carpet!

BoneDaddy
06-27-2008, 03:36 PM
What did you think of the Bolt trailer?

Young blood
06-27-2008, 03:36 PM
I flex in the mirror every morning to give me that added boost of awesomeness.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 03:37 PM
I flex in the mirror every morning to give me that add boost of awesomeness.

:lool... me too.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm sorry I called you a prick. And I'm sorry that you are an emotionless empty vessel.

Wait a second, you passive-aggressive caliper-twiddling overanalyzing sucksack, there's no way you can be talking about Erik here. I just thought you were just pompous, but now it's clear you're a genuine asshole. Good fucking lord.

miscorrections
06-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Children's movies bring such joy into our hearts.

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 03:46 PM
the local paper here gave it 4 (out of 4) stars and says its Pixars best movie yet...thats quite a fucking statement, jesus I cant wait to see it

Young blood
06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
im even getting a haircut. I may be in love with wall-e.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 03:50 PM
I didn't read back onto the last page until just now, so sorry this is so delayed.

All of Disney's main characters are played by animals. Mickey Mouse. Donald Duck. Goofy. All of them are animals that are playing human roles. They have pets and cars and relationships. I did jump the gun saying "fairy tales", though. I will give you that one. But it's pretty irrelevant, seeing as how realism is NOT what gives any of those movies their charm or worth.

Good point, good point, and Mickey & The Beanstalk would have been an excellent counter to my argument.

And don't get me started on the whole "why is Pluto a lower class dog than Goofy" thing. :D

But again, it's not realism I'm talking about. I guess I just can't verbalize (wait, what's the written form of "verbalize") this concept in a way people can get...maybe it's just a distinction that one weird synapse in my brain is making. Let me make one more try before I give up.

The Brave Little Toaster is not "realistic". But it is set in the real world. Same for Toy Story. Same for almost every other cartoon. Most fantasy/sci-fi/ect. is ROOTED in the real world. It's almost a crutch. It's like the creators don't trust their audience to make that leap to a completely original universe. Harry Potter may exist in a fantasy world where magic is real, but he lives on Earth, an a standard English town, with a standard English family. Hell, he takes a fricking TRAIN to school. A magical train, sure, but a train. He plays a made up sport, but it's still a sport, based on elements of other, real life sports. I'm going to move on now, because I've never read Harry Potter and will undoubtedly say something stupid if I follow this line of thought any further, if I haven't already...

Star Trek may contain made up worlds, but the main characters are Earthlings. You could argue that, say, Star Wars or Dune exist in completely made up universes, but they are still populated with humans. Asimov books were usually centered on Earth.

A story about dragons usually doesn't take place in another world where dragons fly around. They take place "long ago, before dragons were banished from the blah blah...." (Except the Dragonriders Of Pern books...but still, the riders were humans, or human-like.) Hey, what about the fact that they are always called dragons? Why do they always take the same form. We use the same archetypes over and over. And for good reason...we know they work.

Why is everything like this? To help the audience relate. Sometimes, it can even be used to make a point. Pan's Labyrinth crossed a fantasy world with a very real, very brutal time in history. I don't think it would have been as interesting if it was just crazy creatures in a cave.

Speaking of Labrynths...that reminds me of the Muppet/Bowie one which WAS rooted in reality...but The Dark Crystal was NOT. That was a truly original universe. So they are out there.

Cars makes a riskier leap into an alternate reality though. Maybe it doesn't take a genius to say "I'm going to make a movie with cars instead of people." But it takes a genius to make it work. And it worked for me.

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 03:51 PM
theres crazy discussion going on in here

*backs away slowly*

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I guess I just can't verbalize (wait, what's the written form of "verbalize") this concept in a way people can get...maybe it's just a distinction that one weird synapse in my brain is making. Let me make one more try before I give up.

It's not that we don't get your point. It's not a hard point to get. It's that your point shouldn't be important to whether or not you enjoy the movie unless you aren't imaginative enough to be able to fathom something you're not familiar with.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 03:58 PM
So who likes robots? I like robots.

http://www.electronicsteacher.com/robotics/Kismet.jpg

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 03:59 PM
I prefer androids.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 04:01 PM
So who likes robots? I like robots.

i like it when they rock...

http://wmdeez.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/daft-punk-harder-better-faster-stronger.jpg

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 04:01 PM
I prefer androids.

http://icant.co.uk/sandbox/besttables/data.jpg

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 04:02 PM
I prefer androids.

paranoid ones?

Young blood
06-27-2008, 04:03 PM
I want a robot baby that shoots rainbows out of it eyes.

I like robots.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Kismet's sort of making bedroom eyes in that second photo. I bet she'd let you inseminate her. Careful, though. Bitch sure does emote.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Wait a second, you passive-aggressive caliper-twiddling overanalyzing sucksack, there's no way you can be talking about Erik here. I just thought you were just pompous, but now it's clear you're a genuine asshole. Good fucking lord.

Hey, this is between me and him. This goes back to me getting pissed at him months ago, and then deciding he was just joking with me. I congratulated him for fucking with me so brilliantly. He refused to take credit, and said he didn't have a sense of humor.

I cannot get a read on him! He is just about the only person on this board who can infuriate and fascinate me this much. If he is pushing my buttons, he is a master of deadpan humor. If he's not... that's something I can't even grasp. He's obviously not stupid, but he just misses every point I try to make. Over and over again. He HAS to be an evil genius, right? But how does he not break character. You know, the best actors are empty vessels. Ever hear Robert DeNiro talk?

Anyway, I'm being a sarcastic asshole, not a passive agressive one. And I only start after he says something condesending to me. Which is invariably. And I really was sorry I called him a prick. It's too cheap a shot.

"Caliper-twiddling"...I like that.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 04:06 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii94/TheWalkingDude/1209763176148.jpg

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 04:07 PM
There's something inherently passive aggressive about snarkily apologizing to someone for something you view as a fault of theirs. But whatever. We've moved on. We're talking about Robots now. Do you have a favorite robot?

luckyface
06-27-2008, 04:09 PM
http://www.umuac.org/threeweeks/Volume2.9/vicki.jpg

Young blood
06-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Kismet's sort of making bedroom eyes in that second photo. I bet she'd let you inseminate her. Careful, though. Bitch sure does emote.

she does look distant. I dont know if I mature enough to handle a robot of her caliber.

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 04:10 PM

a million points

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 04:11 PM
It's not that we don't get your point. It's not a hard point to get. It's that your point shouldn't be important to whether or not you enjoy the movie unless you aren't imaginative enough to be able to fathom something you're not familiar with.

I never said I didn't enjoy it. Did I? Wait, did I? I'm not sure what's real. I'm starting to freak about a bit. Is it opposite day? No one told me. I hate that. I just wanted to chat about movies. I like movies. I'm going to go have my nervous breakdown now. I'll just be over here. Thanks for playing with me.

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 04:15 PM
ok, who the fuck is that? She looks very familiar, but I can't remember.

luckyface
06-27-2008, 04:17 PM
ok, who the fuck is that? She looks very familiar, but I can't remember.

Vicki from Small Wonder, that 80's sitcom.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Wasnt her only special talent a switch on her back?

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 04:19 PM
she was also able to spin her head a complete 360degrees

kreutz2112
06-27-2008, 04:20 PM
jmHTXiNNO48

amyzzz
06-27-2008, 04:20 PM
I must have watched that as a kid.

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 04:23 PM
jmHTXiNNO48

BINARY BREAKDOWN!

luckyface
06-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Wasnt her only special talent a switch on her back?

She also helped craft the brother on the show into the lead singer and guitarist for Smashing Pumpkins.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 04:36 PM
As of 2007, she works as a nurse in Boulder, Colorado,[1] as well as being an experimental dancer.

wikipedia.com

If I was here patient I would beg her to act as robot around me.

Heresy
06-27-2008, 04:38 PM
she was also able to spin her head a complete 360degrees

She also could stretch her legs. There was one episode when she was watering plants and her legs started stretching so she could reach the top pot of plants.

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 04:41 PM
so awesome. i wouldnt even know this if it wasnt for VH1

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
i wouldnt even know this if it wasnt for VH1:rotfl

ivankay
06-27-2008, 04:49 PM
i just saw the movie. Wall-E is my new best friend.

Presto (the short before Wall-E) was pretty funny. A little classic i think many kids are going to enjoy growing up with.

iv3rdawG
06-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Amy, watch this trailer for it. Maybe it'll make you want to see it. It's my favorite trailer of the film:

UwaIrN_qRRQ&fmt=18

Go to this link and you can view it in high quality if you want:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UwaIrN_qRRQ&fmt=18

BoneDaddy
06-27-2008, 08:53 PM
I have to ask again to my Coachella friends, what about the Bolt Trailer?

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809812763/video/8543735

I've been working my ass off for four years on the Look of this film and would honestly like to know your opinions. :thu

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 08:55 PM
i think bolt shouldve stuck with the original director and visual concepts

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 09:38 PM
What did you think of the Bolt trailer?

it was the best one of the 5 we saw - including Fly Me to the Moon, Madagascar 2, Meet Dave...

The Hamster is good fun, but as soon as Travolta starts talking I sign off for some odd reason. Then I saw Miley Cirus' name and I said ugh. But as far as looks go - it looks nice. I like the logo.

BoneDaddy
06-27-2008, 10:39 PM
i think bolt shouldve stuck with the original director and visual concepts

With all due respect, Chris S is awesome but it just wasn't working. He'll continue to do extremely talented work where ever he is.

Minus changing characters we did stay with the original visual concepts. Story changed but we're hoping that we'll be able to blow minds visually. BTW, the story is quite good.

I hope that Wall E kicks some major ass over the next few weeks, but of course, I'm bias for Bolt taking the Oscar. :winkiss

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 11:39 PM
I was really impressed with Wall-E. I saw it today with my niece, and even though on the surface it can entertain the kiddies (and my niece is as picky as any 4 year old), it held a social commentary that really struck a nerve with this adult. I know cartoons are supposed to be releases from the everyday struggle, but this is the first Pixar film I saw that weaved its story on topics that we all know about and are affected by. The environment, over-dependence on technology, and the detoriation of the human physiology were all on display in this really beautifully done picture.

I could be wrong with my analysis, but that's how I saw it. A story of finding hope and love for everything. Even if it takes a robot to lead us to that viewpoint. I'm glad I saw this movie because it would've been a travesty to miss the opportunity to spend time with my niece. The movie itself, well, it was as good as advertised and maybe a little better than I thought it would be.

rage patton
06-27-2008, 11:43 PM

Whoops. I did. What I meant to say was everytime I watched the movie, I cried when Little Foots mom died.

Down Rodeo
06-28-2008, 12:39 AM
I was really impressed with Wall-E. I saw it today with my niece, and even though on the surface it can entertain the kiddies (and my niece is as picky as any 4 year old), it held a social commentary that really struck a nerve with this adult. I know cartoons are supposed to be releases from the everyday struggle, but this is the first Pixar film I saw that weaved its story on topics that we all know about and are affected by. The environment, over-dependence on technology, and the detoriation of the human physiology were all on display in this really beautifully done picture. I could be wrong with my analysis, but that's how I saw it.

I just saw WALL-E tonight, and I'd say you're right on the money with this analysis. The movie has a seamless blending of superficial entertainment and social commentary, perfect for kids and adults. I may have to go out on a limb and say this is Pixar's best movie so far. Highly, highly recommended.

C DUB YA
06-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Yep - glad to see everyone enjoying it as much as I did.

It is a work of art.

Hopeless Semantic
06-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Sorry C Dub, I had dismissed your first analysis as overzealous for a Pixar film, but you were money with your recommendation. Cheers.

ghettojournalist
06-28-2008, 02:17 PM
sorry BoneDaddy, but "Bolt" just doesn't hold up next to "Wall*E" or the upcoming "The Tale of Despereaux". definitely visually, if not story wise as well.

atom heart
06-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I saw this a week ago at Pixar. That was amazing in itself, but combined with the movie-- unforgettable.

This is the only movie I've seen that's given me the sense of awe that really, really good music gives me. It's very different from any other Pixar movie, and I really can't even compare it to my other favorite, The Incredibles. The tone is just so different. WALL-E would be melancholy, if it weren't for the robot himself.

SPOILERS***
Auto, for example, was just trying to survive. He CAN'T live, he's a machine. His whole being is tied in with the ship, and if the ship goes offline then so does he. The scenes between Auto and the Captain were eerie. It didn't help that Auto looks like HAL.

C DUB YA
06-29-2008, 05:28 AM
I saw this a week ago at Pixar. That was amazing in itself, but combined with the movie-- unforgettable.

This is the only movie I've seen that's given me the sense of awe that really, really good music gives me. It's very different from any other Pixar movie, and I really can't even compare it to my other favorite, The Incredibles. The tone is just so different. WALL-E would be melancholy, if it weren't for the robot himself.
[/COLOR]

The Incredibles is prolly my fave too - having more to do with the style of the art than anything, but of course the story is great as well.

ivankay
06-29-2008, 08:34 AM
my Wall-E fever is a fierce. i don't think i'm gonna make it through the day without seeing it again. Anyway, when i did see it Friday, it was at Downtown Disney and it looked a little like this:

http://buzznet-33.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_5097--large-msg-121475248825.jpg

http://buzznet-15.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_5100--large-msg-121475250967.jpg

http://buzznet-44.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_5102--large-msg-121475253061.jpg
pardon the non Wall-E, fuckin' Clone Wars bitch.

http://buzznet-48.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_5104--large-msg-121475257382.jpg

http://buzznet-30.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_5105--large-msg-121475259566.jpg

http://buzznet-75.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_5107--large-msg-121475262127.jpg

http://buzznet-36.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_5108--large-msg-121475264932.jpg

http://buzznet-33.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_5109--large-msg-121475267222.jpg

http://buzznet-89.vo.llnwd.net/assets/users16/renegademartian/default/IMG_5121--large-msg-121475271695.jpg

Yeah, right now i'll go with this being the best movie of the year.

Ardentbiscuit
06-29-2008, 10:24 AM
For the Wall-E fan...

http://secure.checksinthemail.com/product.aspx?lineid=21&productid=2986

Beef Jerky
06-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Going to see Wall-E today! Woo! It's been awhile since I've been to a movie theater.

whynotsmile99
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Fantastic movie. Loved it. Animation blew me away. It didn't even look like CG at times. Some of it was just breathtaking. I loved how all the robots on the space ship worked together. There was so much going on at times I look forward to catching it again on DVD and seeing all the individual aspects of the robot/ship do its thing.

I loved the little real life human elements thrown in, though I wish Fred Willard was funnier. I can't wait for Pixar to make a live action/CG hybrid. You know its coming one of these days, and it's going to be fantastic

luckyface
06-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Liked the movie so much I bought the video game, which came with a free movie ticket to see Wall E. So I am going to see it again for "free" soon.

Young blood
06-30-2008, 08:30 AM
I hate so much that this movie even had me think of idiocracy for a brief moment. I also didn't like that they used a human version of Fred Willard. Overall it was a beautiful movie with a lot of underlying context.

One question, I maybe over thinking a kids movie, but what did the flame from lighter symbolize if anything? Also eve shaped like an egg and holding the plant internally to give earth the humans new life may of held a lot of symbolism, but again I may have over analyzed it.

SFChrissy
06-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I fell asleep and have to go see it again...the fat thing and idea of abandoning earth kinda grossed me out but for the most part the movie was cute (what I was awake for) and my kid has been killing my nerves with all the walll-e tone talk...

sbessiso
06-30-2008, 09:12 AM
chrissy, you're just like me! im pretty notorious around these parts for falling asleep during movies. whatever. fuck them. haha

Roadkillhighway951
06-30-2008, 09:19 AM
wall e looks like E.T. had sex with jonny #5

Hopeless Semantic
06-30-2008, 09:25 AM
I hate so much that this movie even had me think of idiocracy for a brief moment. I also didn't like that they used a human version of Fred Willard. Overall it was a beautiful movie with a lot of underlying context.

One question, I maybe over thinking a kids movie, but what did the flame from lighter symbolize if anything? Also eve shaped like an egg and holding the plant internally to give earth the humans new life may of held a lot of symbolism, but again I may have over analyzed it.

I saw it alluding to the rebirth of man. The flame has kinda always been associated with the development of early man (even though it may be more a over-glamorized myth than truth). It also could have been something Wall-E linked with his maker's intuition. Being able to wield almost God-like control over something that is usually untamed and it's own master. Or, if you want to take it in the rhetoric direction, the flame could be a metaphor for hope for something better to evolve. I.E. the flame of hope burns eternally.

That's my take on the whole flame thing...

Roadkillhighway951
06-30-2008, 09:30 AM
the only movie i'll ever take seroiusly is the karate kid #1

sbessiso
06-30-2008, 09:38 AM
the only movie i'll ever take seroiusly is the karate kid #1

i REALLY like the one with hillary swank

Roadkillhighway951
06-30-2008, 09:45 AM
hillary swank, its like a redneck trying to say hilariously swam, Hey cletus i jus done hillaryswank in the brown water pond.

SFChrissy
06-30-2008, 10:17 AM
chrissy, you're just like me! im pretty notorious around these parts for falling asleep during movies. whatever. fuck them. haha

hell...I think i fell asleep during the hulk too...if i'm falling asleep then it really isn't all that!!! or I'm rediculously tired...

when you come out here...let's go see a movie just so we can see if we can fall asleep or not!!!

sbessiso
06-30-2008, 10:35 AM
deal!

i fell asleep during hulk too, but that one was just a quickie power nap, he was still in brazil or something

sbessiso
06-30-2008, 10:35 AM
omg it just hit me!! a date with chrissy!!

SFChrissy
06-30-2008, 10:51 AM
omg it just hit me!! a date with chrissy!!nuhuhhh...don't jinx it bitch!!!

MassiveChemicalPunk
06-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh man,
WALL-E was fucking amazing.
What a great movie. Maybe the best I've seen this year so far... (until TDK comes out for sure)

thinnerair
06-30-2008, 10:57 AM
WALL-E is a robot in an entertaining movie. He proves that robots can co-exist and be in love. Oh...and that robots can fucking break!

thinnerair
06-30-2008, 11:08 AM
why do you always pick fights with me?!

malcolmjamalawesome
06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
I heard this E movie got RAVE reviews...

Standing ovation.

malcolmjamalawesome
06-30-2008, 10:04 PM
The next time there's a movie about robots released, they'd better be French and have a mother fucking laser pyramid.

M Sparks
06-30-2008, 10:38 PM
\/ Anybody notice that all the "similar threads" are about Tilly & The Wall?

4 letters in the same order = "similar"

menikmati
06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I'll wait til November for the DVD to see this. And of course for some reason, Pixar has decided to stop issuing 2-disc sets, so I'm sure it will be a stripped down 1-disc version, oh well, I buy the DVD for the quality of the film more than anything else.

ivankay
06-30-2008, 10:57 PM
I'll wait til November for the DVD to see this. And of course for some reason, Pixar has decided to stop issuing 2-disc sets, so I'm sure it will be a stripped down 1-disc version, oh well, I buy the DVD for the quality of the film more than anything else.

Is this because you're just not going to the movies? If there is a reason to go out to a theater with big ass sound and picture, Wall-E is a good one.

whynotsmile99
06-30-2008, 10:57 PM
why did they do that?

menikmati
06-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Is this because you're just not going to the movies? If there is a reason to go out to a theater with big ass sound and picture, Wall-E is a good one.

Because honestly, the theatre in my town is embarrassing and horrible quality, and it's not worth the 10 bucks or whatever it is. I normally never get out to any movies in the theatres (I did see Indy IV - but that was the first time since 2005). I just normally stick to DVD's.

Also, maybe it was just me, but when I saw Indy in the theatre, the entire screen seemed a little soft and out of focus (like slightly fuzzy)...it really annoyed me, and I kept rubbing my eyes thinking it would go away or stop, but it didn't. I'd rather just lay in bed watching it on my own TV.

menikmati
06-30-2008, 11:01 PM
why did they do that?

I think its just because they haven't invested much time in extra/bonus features (but I guess when you release quality film after quality film and usually have about 3 films in development, plus creating short films - then it's not the worst crime).

ivankay
06-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Because honestly, the theatre in my town is embarrassing and horrible quality, and it's not worth the 10 bucks or whatever it is. I normally never get out to any movies in the theatres (I did see Indy IV - but that was the first time since 2005). I just normally stick to DVD's.

Also, maybe it was just me, but when I saw Indy in the theatre, the entire screen seemed a little soft and out of focus (like slightly fuzzy)...it really annoyed me, and I kept rubbing my eyes thinking it would go away or stop, but it didn't. I'd rather just lay in bed watching it on my own TV.

Somebody pick up menik and take him to a nice movie theater to see Wall-E. Think about the possibility of a menik meal before or after the cinema. It can ever be an installment of cooking with menik: "Meals When Friends Come Over"

meyouseek
07-01-2008, 12:12 AM

Yeah. Totally yeah. My lady and I both had that great music lump in our throats through most of the film. It didn't turn into the great music tears of joy only because we were constantly telling ourselves that crying about animated robots is just too ridiculous.

bakersfield
07-01-2008, 12:19 AM
My cousin's husband is the engineer (& owns the company) that built the real life Wall-e. Cannot wait to see the movie.

superfiction
07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
My cousin's husband is the engineer (& owns the company) that built the real life Wall-e. Cannot wait to see the movie.

theres a real lfe wall-e? can he do the hello dolly dance?

edit:

holy crap this is awesome

As7UQtKX00c

Roadkillhighway951
07-01-2008, 12:32 PM
a wise masta say, if wall e had a vagina what would he be called

rage patton
07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I loved Wall-E. WARNING: Possible Spoilers.

I loved how the first half hour of the movie had no dialogue whatsoever, yet it was incredibly engaging. The movie was also able to build a personality for Wall-E quite fast and when Wall-E was rebuilt and that personality was gone, it was heartbreaking. The movie had a lot of raw emotion in it and it was brought forth in a way I didn't even think Pixar was capable off. I also love how it is very easy to see humans getting to the point where they were depicted in Wall-E. I love Pixar, but this movie was especially outstanding.

amyzzz
07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
It was kind of depressing.

GnarVee
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I agree^

amyzzz
07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
I liked it, but I think I liked Finding Nemo better.

Beef Jerky
07-02-2008, 07:00 PM
theres a real lfe wall-e? can he do the hello dolly dance?

edit:

holy crap this is awesome

As7UQtKX00c

OMG I WANT IT!!

All That I Am
07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that
http://www.popgadget.net/images/idance-wall-e.jpg

+

http://www.deskmodr.com/screenshots/2008/03/evepreview.png

=

http://www.techgadgets.in/images/nikko-robot.jpg

C DUB YA
07-03-2008, 08:14 AM
I liked it, but I think I liked Finding Nemo better.

Ouch.

Gotta say I completely disagree. I love Finding Nemo, but Nemo is traditional heart-string-emotional fare. Wall-E is far superior on every level, even an emotional one. A far more risky film, esp for an animated Pixar film, with bigger rewards, more complex layers of storytelling, and much bigger payoffs in the end.

luckyface
07-03-2008, 08:29 AM
If it wasn't for Cars, Finding Nemo would be my least favorite Pixar movie. I honestly don't get why it always is at the top of people's Pixar lists.

iv3rdawG
07-03-2008, 08:31 AM
If it wasn't for Cars, Finding Nemo would be my least favorite Pixar movie. I honestly don't get why it always is at the top of people's Pixar lists.

Same here. I just don't get the hype. WALL•E on the other hand, was fantastic.

schoolofruckus
07-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Finding Nemo IS a rather conventional animated film. But it's probably the best conventional animated film ever, in my opinion. I cried like 6 fucking times during that movie. Even shit that I knew was false - like when they thought Ellen was dead - I couldn't hold back the tears. And it was absolutely beautiful.

Wall*E, however, has just pushed it to #2 on my list of favorite Pixar movies.

Hopeless Semantic
07-03-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm not an expert on Pixar films, but I would have to say Wall-E destroys the likes of Finding Nemo, Cars, and Ratatouille. It's message was what appealed to me in the sense that it made you both understand the weight of what it was trying to say and it also did what most movies fail to do today, and that is strike an emotional rapport with the viewer. I don't think Cars or anything prior really did that. Unless you count Monsters Inc. which, in a subtle way, was displaying the rapid decay of childhood innocence and the fact that dreams are diluted with such impunity our children's youth is no longer sacred. But that's me and I could be wrong on ever level...

rage patton
07-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Toy Story>Wall-E>Finding Nemo>Monsters Inc.>The Incredibles>Toy Story 2>Ratatouille>Bugs Life>>>Cars

Hopeless Semantic
07-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Toy Story>Wall-E>Finding Nemo>Monsters Inc.>The Incredibles>Toy Story 2>Ratatouille>Bugs Life>>>Cars

Wall-E trumps Toy Story...

rage patton
07-03-2008, 11:21 AM
No, it really doesn't.

C DUB YA
07-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah it does.

iv3rdawG
07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
I can't put WALL•E at number one yet until I see it again. Toy Story still holds that spot.

Hopeless Semantic
07-03-2008, 11:34 AM
That's cool. To me, it is better than Toy Story.

rage patton
07-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Toy Story is one of my favourite movies of all time. No matter how good Wall-E or anyother other Pixar movie may or will be, I don't think any will knock Toy Story out of the number 1 spot. For me anyways.

schoolofruckus
07-03-2008, 12:12 PM

Wall-E trumps Toy Story...

No, it really doesn't.

Yeah it does.

That's cool. To me, it is better than Toy Story.

This exchange is awesome.

Blinken
07-03-2008, 12:22 PM

I am shocked that no one was called a fucking idiot, and that opinions were respected. Has the apocolypse happened?

OutOfmYminD
07-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I haven't seen it yet :(

amyzzz
07-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Ouch.

Gotta say I completely disagree. I love Finding Nemo, but Nemo is traditional heart-string-emotional fare. Wall-E is far superior on every level, even an emotional one. A far more risky film, esp for an animated Pixar film, with bigger rewards, more complex layers of storytelling, and much bigger payoffs in the end.
I like the parent/child interplay and Dorie's little insights. The voice acting was tremendous in Nemo.

Wall-e felt a tad too didactic for me.

and depressing. I don't want to be told that envrinmental/fat problem shit yet.

Hopeless Semantic
07-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I am shocked that no one was called a fucking idiot, and that opinions were respected. Has the apocolypse happened?

It is almost pointless to attempt to degrade another's opinion on here because, well, like that old internetz saying...fighting on the internet is like winning at the...

But if that is how you have to get across your point, then so be it. It's your choice.

I like the parent/child interplay and Dorie's little insights. The voice acting was tremendous in Nemo.

Wall-e felt a tad too didactic for me.

and depressing. I don't want to be told that envrinmental/fat problem shit yet.

They should've included the decline in the ocean's fisheries in Nemo and maybe it would've appealed to me a little bit more. I found the environmental/technocontrol/obesity thing to be something along my alley. Anyhow, Pixar does some amazing work though. I worked with the father of the guy who did Incredibles and it was always cool when he brought in some of the things related to the film. I believe he also had a part in Wall-E.

iv3rdawG
07-03-2008, 08:07 PM
WALL•E had a great soundtrack too, especially the music used in the first half of the film:

iiVr-vAJ0mk

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 01:21 AM
I liked this movie for pretty much the same reasons everyone else did. Kinda glad I saw this instead of Hancock, but I'll get around to that sometime soon.

On the subject of which Pixar movie is the best?... I still hold a warm spot in my heart for Toy Story, so here's my updated list:

1. Toy Story
2. Monsters Inc.
3. Wall-E
4. Cars
5. Ratatouille
6. A Bug's Life
7. Finding Nemo
8. The Incredibles
9. Toy Story 2

TS2 proves that a good animated movie should never EVER have a fucking sequel... Also I thought that Finding Nemo was pretty middle-of-the-road (plus I fucking hate Ellen Degeneres), and that the Incredibles was boring and blah and the villain fucking SUCKED.

Also you all vastly underrate Monsters Inc., that movie is amazing and holds up to this very day. A Bug's Life was good when I first saw it, but the fact that half the time I can't tell it or Antz apart when I search my memories means it has aged poorly in my head. And finally, Cars is just good enough to warrant multiple viewings; Ratatouille isn't, sadly, but I really enjoyed it when I first saw it (and I have a man crush on Patton Oswalt).

Still, go see Wall-E, it's damn near perfect for a Pixar film (I really hope they don't EVER stop making children's films).

luckyface
07-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Seriously Passive, you are one of the first people I have ever heard who disliked Toy Story 2. Most people actually prefer the 2nd to the 1st.

And you disliked the Incredibles? Get that shit out here. You are insane.

RotationSlimWang
07-04-2008, 01:43 AM

I guess it's hard to get all tough guy when arguing which animated movie is better.

Also, will you all please shut the fuck up about Toy Story? I haven't even seen Wall-E and I can guarantee you it's better than fucking Toy Story.

All That I Am
07-04-2008, 01:55 AM

Anyone who's read The Watchmen will take offense to a Disney wiping their ass with a brilliant piece of art.

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Seriously Passive, you are one of the first people I have ever heard who disliked Toy Story 2. Most people actually prefer the 2nd to the 1st.

I went into the Incredibles expecting a super hero movie, an animated one albeit, and when super hero movie villains suck outright (Batman 3 and 4, Spiderman 3, etc.) it brings down the movie as a whole.

I think the premise of the Incredibles was decent, but it's not something I felt could be explored in a kid's movie, and I was right. The movie also suffered from what was probably the 2nd least spectacular voicing cast of any pixar movie (minus Wall-E which really wasn't premised on voice acting, but only ahead of Finding Nemo).

But Toy Story 2 almost completely undid the experience of watching Toy Story 1... I dread the third movie.

EDIT: ATIA hits the nail right on the head, even though I discovered the Watchmen after watching the Incredibles. Speaking of which, ATIA, you "thrilled" about the Watchmen movie?... I actually enjoyed the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen at face value (and because Sean Connery amuses me), but man Alan Moore must feel like stabbing himself in the face when his books are turned into movies.

ivankay
07-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Anyone who's read The Watchmen will take offense to a Disney wiping their ass with a brilliant piece of art.

i've read Watchmen multiple times and take no offense. The Incredibles and Watchmen are two entirely different tales; and both excellently told.

Looking very forward to the Watchmen movie. The stills (http://rss.warnerbros.com/watchmen/) look great.

PassiveTheory
07-04-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm praying they'll be able to condense it into 3 and a half hours and have enough "action" to entice normal action movie fans to go.

corbo
07-05-2008, 12:59 AM
8.9/10

rage patton
07-05-2008, 01:00 AM
I forgot Ratatoille (or whatever) from my list... I will put it below Toy Story 2, but above Bugs Life.

Trick Loves The Kids
07-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Monster's Inc. will always be my favorite pixar film

gaypalmsprings
07-08-2008, 08:48 AM
I'd like to see Pixar do an animated version of Pink Flamingos.

rage patton
07-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Oh, and I forgot, the short before Wall-E, Presto, was brilliant. I couldn't stop laughing.

Donaldj
07-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I saw Wall-E today and totally agree, it's a masterpiece. It's also one of the few science fiction movies in recent years that is actually cerebral and poignant and not just mindless stars wars/matrix clones.