PDA

View Full Version : STP Hollywood Bowl

Backwater
06-26-2008, 07:23 PM
I saw STP at the Hollywood Bowl on Tuesday. Black Francis (aka Frank Black aka Pixies singer whose real name is Charles) opened but I missed him thanks to the ridiculous Hollywood traffic. It was a good show but I wished they would have played longer. They played for about an hour and a half which isn't too bad but I expected more than a measley 19 song setlist. They teased us with about 30 seconds of Day Tripper from the Beatles. Needless to say, I was pissed that they didn't play the whole song.

Setlist:

Big Empty(odd choice for an opener)
day tripper tease
Wicked Garden
Big Bang Baby
Silvergun Superman(fuck yeah)
Vasoline
Lounge Fly(probably the best song of the night)
Lady Picture Show
Sour Girl
Creep
Crackerman
Plush
blues jam
Interstate Love Song
Too Cool Queenie (rare)
Coma (very rare)
Down
Sex Type Thing
Sin (second best song of the night)

Encore:
trippy, spacey jam
Dead and Bloated
Trippin on a Hole

Overall I was happy that Scott was sober enough to sing and the band sounded really tight and together. I don't know if they will write another album though. I hope so, but Scott really needs to get his shit together.

BobCaygeon
06-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I saw them at Calgary Virgin Festival on Saturday and they were pretty good. They followed the Flaming Lips and still held their own.

If you had asked me beforehand which of those two bands would have ended up with naked girls on the stage I would have said STP and I would have been wrong.

bmack86
06-26-2008, 09:03 PM
That is an odd opening song.

Great setlist

suprefan
06-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Next time leave earlier and dont drive......

Backwater
06-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Good advice, seriously. Did you hear anything about Frank's set? Or anyone else for that matter?

woogie846
06-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Just curious, does Black Francis do any Pixies material when he performs?

Backwater
06-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Well he has a very tumultuous relationship with Kim and she writes a lot of the lyrics so ... he played Monkey Gone to Heaven with the Catholics when I saw them about six years ago. I will never forget that night because I met him, but regardless I don't know what Frank plays now and frankly I don't care because Frank Black and the Pixies are too very different entities, different monsters alltogether.

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 08:16 AM
I saw a couple of songs by Black Francis. I wasn't really into it. I went and got a beer and met up with some friends instead. Nothing against the Pixies, but like BW said, Black Francis is NOTHING like the Pixies. :)

As odd as an opener as Big Empty is, I told the people I was with not to leave until after the first song, because it was going to be Big Empty. I just had a strange feeling.

Overall it was a good show. I still can't believe the amount of ass that showed up to see an aging STP. That may have been the best part.

212margarita
06-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Big Empty was an odd choice to open with, but it sort of worked.

Silvergun Superman was the highlight of the night for me. I left during Vasoline to get beer (i hate that song) but the line was so damn long i ended up missing Lounge Fly which was kind of a bummer.

My major complaint was the video screen behind the band. If you arent going to put any effort into the visuals that accompany your show...dont have any, simple as that. Don't just put up what basically looked like screen savers for an hour and a half. But if that is the biggest complaint of the night, it couldnt have been that bad of a show right?

pat

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 10:52 AM
I still can't believe the amount of ass that showed up to see an aging STP. That may have been the best part.

really?

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 10:57 AM
really?

Hot chicks everywhere. I was very pleased.

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
too bad you're married already... ;)

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 11:05 AM
too bad you're married already... ;)

This is a conversation about STP @ the Hollywood Bowl. Not my marital status.

... and for the record, I am not married. kthx, bai.

Cdubby
06-27-2008, 11:07 AM
i want to check them out in berkeley really bad, but i cant justify the 52.50 plus fees right now

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 11:12 AM
i want to check them out in berkeley really bad, but i cant justify the 52.50 plus fees right now

yea, i bought tickets and then sold them.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Silvergun Superman was the highlight of the night for me. I left during Vasoline to get beer (i hate that song) but the line was so damn long i ended up missing Lounge Fly which was kind of a bummer.

My major complaint was the video screen behind the band.

Ouch. Ironically, Lounge Fly was the one song where the visuals actually worked

Backwater
06-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Has anyone heard their last album Shangri-La from 2001? It's so underrated. Everyone thought the two songs they played from it at the bowl were new songs.Scott said it's their personal favorite and I think it may be their best too (but it's a close call with Purple.)

hendrixfan143
06-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I thought scott sang great. And just a tip, whenever going to the hollywood bowl, take the bus

instinct
06-28-2008, 10:52 AM
I saw STP at the Hollywood Bowl on Tuesday. Black Francis (aka Frank Black aka Pixies singer whose real name is Charles) opened but I missed him thanks to the ridiculous Hollywood traffic. It was a good show but I wished they would have played longer. They played for about an hour and a half which isn't too bad but I expected more than a measley 19 song setlist. They teased us with about 30 seconds of Day Tripper from the Beatles. Needless to say, I was pissed that they didn't play the whole song.

Setlist:

Big Empty(odd choice for an opener)
day tripper tease
Wicked Garden
Silvergun Superman(fuck yeah)
Vasoline
Lounge Fly(probably the best song of the night)
Lady Picture Show
Sour Girl
Creep
Crackerman
Plush
blues jam
Interstate Love Song
Too Cool Queenie (rare)
Coma (very rare)
Down
Sex Type Thing
Sin (second best song of the night)

Encore:
trippy, spacey jam
Dead and Bloated
Trippin on a Hole

Overall I was happy that Scott was sober enough to sing and the band sounded really tight and together. I don't know if they will write another album though. I hope so, but Scott really needs to get his shit together.

Big Empty is an odd choice for an opener.. You think they would have waited to the end for that..

No Big Bang Baby?

Newro7ic
06-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Big Empty is an odd choice for an opener.. You think they would have waited to the end for that..

No Big Bang Baby?

Fourth track... you quoted it, even.

instinct
06-28-2008, 10:56 AM
What are you talking about? I never quoted it.

Backwater
06-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Nobody has heard their fifth album?

BobCaygeon
06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Nobody has heard their fifth album?

I liked it, but I haven't listened to it in years. I only really remember Days of the Week from it.

Backwater
06-28-2008, 05:03 PM
That was the single and it completely sucked. It was easily the worst song on their best album and the drugged-out Scott thought it would be a great idea to use it as the single. The second worst song the album Wonderful, was choosen as the second single! Those two incredibly poor choices are why the album failed commercially. Listen to the rest of the album, it's fucking awesome!

The best songs on it are:

Too Cool Queenie
Regeneration
Coma
Hollywood Bitch
Transmissions from a Lonely Room, and I there's a few other songs like personally love but I know other people who don't; such as Black Again, Hello, It's Late (I almost cried once listening to this song) and Dumb Love (a short, heavy Core-esque song like Sex Type Thing.) Overall it's an amazing album. Definitely check it out.

Backwater
06-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Dean is such an underrated guitarist.

Backwater
06-28-2008, 05:22 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yGCR5hGbd-E\

This is a pretty cool video for Regeneration.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ce10goEM2Ws

Fast forward to 3:20 here to see Dean fucking wail. It may not be as cool as the Trippin on a Hole solo but it's still amazing.

BobCaygeon
06-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Dean is such an underrated guitarist.

I like his brother's bass playing a lot. I think it is pretty unique.