PDA

View Full Version : The Jam Band scene...WTF?

M Sparks
06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
So, last night I had to shoot some video at a Widespread Panic show for a commercial.

Jam is king where I live, but I've simply never had any experience with the "big time" end of it. I saw STS9 at Vegoose (who were pretty cool), and heard a Phish bootleg once and that's about it. But I've heard ten million shitty bar bands noodle endlessly, so to me, that's "Jam."

I tried to approach this with an open mind. I mean, since Phish broke up, I believe these guys are supposed to be the kings of the scene. They must have done something to get there. At the very least I was expecting a high energy performance, even if I didn't care for the music. And a high level of musicianship. Like, I expected some amazing guitar solos, even if they drug on too long.

So they wander onto the stage and kick into something that 3000 people ALL know the words to. (Last time I went to a show in my town, there were less than 100 people, and half of them left after the opening act.) And I have to admit, it was a pretty catchy groove. I wasn't really paying attention to the band, because I was up ON the stage, but wasn't supposed to be shooting them. I was concentrating on getting video of people having fun. And they were having a shitload of fun. They were losing their minds. I got a lot of great stuff for my purposes. Decided to stop shooting and check the band for a minute...

...Well, the percussionist is having fun. I'm not sure why they need a drummer AND a percussionist. It's pretty straightforward stuff. I can't really see the singer, because there's a speaker stack in the way. Everyone else is just kind of...standing there. Staring at the ground, actually. They look more like guys working on a factory line than performers. They are much older than I expected. They almost look like they should be backing Jimmy Buffett, except I bet Jimmy's band has fun onstage. I'm kinda starting to wonder how it is they manage to drive the crowd into a frenzy with such low energy. And I'm really getting tired of this groove, as catchy as it is.

Finally, we're on to the the second song. And it's slow. Really slow. And not particularly musically interesting. The crowd is still doing the same dance, but slower. MUCH slower. I shoot a little bit for my own amusement, but there's really nothing here I can use in my commercial.

MUCH later...third song. I think. Sounds kinda the same as the second. I leave the stage and try to get some different shots. It's not working. I try to listen to the music. It's pretty simplistic. It's like Ramones song, slowed down 300%, looped 6 times, and performed without any energy.

I start walking around the crowd. I keep running into people I know, people I totally respect. "Hey, saw you onstage, lucky guy!"

"Yeah, I'm done, I think"

"Cool, stash your equipment, I'll buy you a beer."

"No, I'm on my way home."

Keep in mind it's like 7:15. The sun is still out. One friend looks at me like I just told him his mom was dead. How could I possibly pass up a chance to see this amazing band?

I will never, EVER understand.

EDIT...BTW, I'm not trying to rip on the scene. I just don't understand it. They feel the same about my musical tastes.

jigsaw
06-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Maybe you should've had a beer...

BlackSwan
06-26-2008, 09:16 AM
good choice... going home that is.

Blinken
06-26-2008, 09:20 AM
It's the drugs.

canexplain
06-26-2008, 09:24 AM
thats really a hard one to answer .... its like when i told someone mmj played about 4 hours at the roo ... they said how can any band be good enough to listen to for that long ... jam bands can tend to be the same ... a lot of them sound the same, and a lot of the songs sound the same ... i am that way about hip hop and rap ... i just dont get it, it all sounds the same, and i really dont get it ... btw, WSP now might also be a bad example .. they are changing their sound or doing different kind of stuff, and even die hards are having trouble liking them like they used too .. but like you mentioned, STS9 or Lotus, these are bands that might fall into what you are asking, and i could listen to them for hours (well they dont have any vocals which makes a difference also) x****

higgybaby23
06-26-2008, 09:47 AM
This thread is timely for me as I just watched Les Claypool's film Festeroo. It wasn't a great movie, but it did do a decent job of satirizing the jam band scene. I would recommend Festeroo to fans and detractors of the jam crowd. The saving grace for some of these bands is that they don't take themselves too seriously.

canexplain
06-26-2008, 09:51 AM
This thread is timely for me as I just watched Les Claypool's film Festeroo. It wasn't a great movie, but it did do a decent job of satirizing the jam band scene. I would recommend Festeroo to fans and detractors of the jam crowd. The saving grace for some of these bands is that they don't take themselves too seriously.

one thing i really like about jam bands is they are not so picky about tapers, downloads and things like that ... or they record every show they do and make it so the fans can get endless versions of the same song lol ( of course PJ does the same, but not really a jam band) ...x****

menikmati
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM
A lot of bands are pro taping actually (more Jam bands than anything else though)...but you can find a lot of GYBE, EITS, DCFC and others on archive.org. Plus like you said Pearl Jam releases live soundboards, Metallica does and some others. I wish more bands would be friendly like this regarding taping and distributing of shows (hell if anything, they could make money off it).

M Sparks
06-26-2008, 10:21 AM
thats really a hard one to answer .... its like when i told someone mmj played about 4 hours at the roo ... they said how can any band be good enough to listen to for that long ...

I love a long show if it's something I'm into. Just saw The Cure do 3 hours a couple weeks ago.

I agree about the not taking theirselves seriously. I checked out Umphree's McGee a little before Vegoose, and they were really good musicians AND funny. I probably would have gone to see them, but I think Infected Mushroom was on at the same time. And of course, the Jam scene has finally embraced Les Claypool, even though he's not doing much different than when Primus was headlining Lolla palooza.

I probably shouldn't judge the scene just because WP are on top. After all, there's lots of great pop music, but the stuff that's actually popular is awful.

I will say that based on that Phish bootleg I heard, Widespread Panic are NOT fit to take the throne.

canexplain
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
A lot of bands are pro taping actually (more Jam bands than anything else though)...but you can find a lot of GYBE, EITS, DCFC and others on archive.org. Plus like you said Pearl Jam releases live soundboards, Metallica does and some others. I wish more bands would be friendly like this regarding taping and distributing of shows (hell if anything, they could make money off it).

its easy for me to say not being in the business, but if i were an artist, i would rather an authorized bootleg of my stuff be on the net or where ever then a crappy bootleg coming from someones cell phone on youtube or whatever ...x***

menikmati
06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
That's the misconception about it all. People always judge these "bootlegs" to be crappy and have shitty sound. Has anyone actually seen and used the portable recording equipment these days? We're not talking some 20 dollar walkman these days....people have recording rigs consisting of schoep microphones, bass roll-offs, and 24 bit/96khz flash recorders....it doesn't get much better than that...in fact in some cases, these audience recordings can sound better and more "full" than soundboard releases.

I suspect some bands just don't have the funds to record all their shows, get em online, and have enough money/bandwidth to distribute them properly....so rather than just not record and all that, they become taper friendly to show support towards their fans, who will take the time to record, encode, and distribute the shows free amongst other fans. So amen to that.

MarkO
06-26-2008, 11:04 AM
........in fact in some cases, these audience recordings can sound better and more "full" than soundboard releases.

....cough Alive 07 wheeze...

Backwater
06-26-2008, 01:09 PM
The saving grace for some of these bands is that they don't take themselves too seriously.

EXACTLY! That is why I prefer jam band shows. Hipsters take themselves way too seriously. What is the fun in that?

woogie846
06-26-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't think I've ever really seen a "jam band" live.

Backwater
I love a long show if it's something I'm into. Just saw The Cure do 3 hours a couple weeks ago.

I agree about the not taking theirselves seriously. I checked out Umphree's McGee a little before Vegoose, and they were really good musicians AND funny. I probably would have gone to see them, but I think Infected Mushroom was on at the same time. And of course, the Jam scene has finally embraced Les Claypool, even though he's not doing much different than when Primus was headlining Lolla palooza.

I probably shouldn't judge the scene just because WP are on top. After all, there's lots of great pop music, but the stuff that's actually popular is awful.

I will say that based on that Phish bootleg I heard, Widespread Panic are NOT fit to take the throne.

Finally they've embraced Claypool? Um, Claypool has been a big part of the jam scene for many years. I agree that WP aren't necessarily the best just because they're on top. However, they're a very hit or miss band. If you want to hear them on top of their game check out last year's Bonnaroo set and especially 2005 Bonnaroo's second Sunday night set (they played two that year)

As far as jam bands who are better than WP but not as popular:

Gov't Mule
The Derek Trucks Band
Galactic
North Mississippi Allstars
The New Deal
Robert Randolph and the Family Band/Revival
Victor Wooten
Bela Fleck and then Flecktones
Medeski, Martin, Wood,
The Word
Derek and the Dominos
The Radiators
The Neville Brothers
Benevento/Russo Duo

Those are just off the top of my head.

full on idle
It's the drugs.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I would see Radiohead do a 4 hour show...just sayin'

Pixiessp
06-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Wilco is the only jam band I like. they qualify as jam, right?

BlackSwan
06-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I would see Radiohead do a 4 hour show...just sayin'

me too.

Wilco is the only jam band I like. they qualify as jam, right?

nope.

canexplain
06-26-2008, 01:52 PM
a few others:

leftover salmon
phil lesh and friends of any sort
dark star orchestra
railroad earth
disco biscuts
umphries magee sp
and the two greatest jam bands of all time .......

The Dead

and

Neil Young ....

x****

canexplain
06-26-2008, 02:03 PM
one more post just cuz i love my jam bands ... here are a couple of sites to get anyone interested up to snuff ....x****

http://www.jambands.com/

http://www.relix.com/

2006 Jammy award winners, donít know why they donít have 2007

Lifetime Achievement: Frank Zappa
Tour of the Year: Big Summer Classic Tour (String Cheese Incident, Keller Williams, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Yonder Mountain String Band, Umphrey's McGee, New Monsoon, and Xavier Rudd)
Live Album of the Year: Widespread Panic - Live at Myrtle Beach
Studio Album of the Year: Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon - Sixty Six Steps
Song of the Year: Tea Leaf Green, "Taught To Be Proud"
Live Performance of the Year: moe. Tsunami Relief Benefit, Roseland Ballroom, NYC, 2/10/05 (moe. headlined with Trey Anastasio, Sam Bush, Jennifer Hartswick, John Medeski and Ray Paczkowski)
Archival Album of the Year: Phish - Live at Madison Square Garden New Year's Eve 1995
DVD of the Year: Bob Dylan - No Direction Home
New Groove: Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Global Rhythm World Music Award: Baaba Maal
The Jammy Industry Award: Larry Bloch
Green Apple Award: Jack Johnson

rage patton
06-26-2008, 02:14 PM
MUCH later...third song. I think. Sounds kinda the same as the second. I leave the stage and try to get some different shots. It's not working. I try to listen to the music. It's pretty simplistic. It's like Ramones song, slowed down 300%, looped 6 times, and performed without any energy.

That is basically exactly what I think about a lot of the jam bands. Why do some people hate punk bands that play fast 3 chord progression songs in 2 minutes... yet the same people praise these bands who play slow 3 chord progression songs over 20 minutes?

BlackSwan
06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
a few others:

leftover salmon
dark star orchestra
railroad earth
disco biscuts
umphries magee sp

The Dead

and

Neil Young ....

x****

STS9 is really the only band from that "scene" worth paying attention to.

Young blood
06-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Im a fan of the IDM off shoots that comes from the jam scene, but anyone who refers to widespread panic as Pan pan can eat a dick.

canexplain
06-26-2008, 02:31 PM
STS9 is really the only band from that "scene" worth paying attention to.

no no blackswan :( if you sort of like sts9, have you ever heard lotus ... and neil, how can you not like neil after he got out of the folk era .. oh well ... i dont like hip hop like i said or rap, how can it be music is there are no instruments, which is real rap to me anyway, so to each his own ....x****

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Im a fan of the IDM off shoots that comes from the jam scene, but anyone who refers to widespread panic as Pan pan can eat a dick.

pan pan?

Young blood
06-26-2008, 02:41 PM
yup. assholes.

BlackSwan
06-26-2008, 02:45 PM
no no blackswan :( if you sort of like sts9, have you ever heard lotus ... ....x****

yup, Lotus, Pnuma Trio, Disco Biscuits, Future Rock etc... heard of em all... oh and The New Deal/The Join are good too.

Backwater
06-26-2008, 04:15 PM
a few others:

leftover salmon
dark star orchestra
railroad earth
disco biscuts
umphries magee sp

The Dead

and

Neil Young ....

x****

Good call on Leftover Salmon and Railroad Earth. The Disco Biscuits sound good (like STS9) when they shut up but when they sing . . . GOOD LORD, the worst vocals in the history of music. If you're going to talk about old jam bands then you have to mention The Allman Brothers, Jefferson Airplane, and Jimi Hendrix.

Backwater
06-26-2008, 04:15 PM
pan pan?

I was wondering the same thing. WTF is pan pan?

BlackSwan
06-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Good call on Leftover Salmon and Railroad Earth. The Disco Biscuits sound good (like STS9) when they shut up but when they sing . . . GOOD LORD, the worst vocals in the history of music. If you're going to talk about old jam bands then you have to mention The Allman Brothers, Jefferson Airplane, and Jimi Hendrix.

The Disco Biscuits don't sound anything like STS9.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I was wondering the same thing. WTF is pan pan?

Panic, Widespread Panic, Pan Pan...sounds pretty gay....

Backwater
06-26-2008, 04:25 PM
The Disco Biscuits don't sound anything like STS9.

Their studio albums don't, live they do.

Backwater
06-26-2008, 04:43 PM

Yes . . . but when has anybody ever referred to them as that until now? Never? I've been a huge fan of WP for a long time and have never once heard anyone refer to them as pan pan.

Rad rad instead of Radiohead and chem chem instead of the Chemical Brothers both sound pretty gay too . . .

BlackSwan
06-26-2008, 04:50 PM
gay as in happy?

Young blood
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Yes . . . but when has anybody ever referred to them as that until now? Never? I've been a huge fan of WP for a long time and have never once heard anyone refer to them as pan pan.

Rad rad instead of Radiohead and chem chem instead of the Chemical Brothers both sound pretty gay too . . .

This is why I dont argue with jam band fans, because yes I have heard them referred to as pan pan and its just as "gay/shitty" as their music.

Disco biscuits suck balls too.

Sonicifyouwantit
06-26-2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah Ive never really been into the jam scene either, although jam fans will be the first to talk down about anything but jam...kinda how hippies are supposed to be about loving your fellow man but they just act superior instead.

Backwater
06-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah Ive never really been into the jam scene either, although jam fans will be the first to talk down about anything but jam...kinda how hippies are supposed to be about loving your fellow man but they just act superior instead.

Yeah, I completely agree with all of this. I hate hippies, they're hypocrites. It should be spelled "hyppie." However, there is a whole lot of great music in the "jam band scene" you just have to be open minded enough to look past the die hard fans and just listen if you ever want to enjoy it. As far as that pan pan shit goes, that honestly has to be a west coast thing because I've heard of them reffered to as Panic thousands of times and Widespread several times but I've seriously never heard that shit once. So I guess it's LA that's gay/shitty. Anyway, the only thing worse than a hippie is a hipster.

Sushov23
06-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Anyway, the only thing worse than a hippie is a hipster.

SO TRUE.

frozen pilgrim
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
SO TRUE.

hell. fucking. yes.

can you guys come to kensington market and beat the shit out of a patio of drunk hipsters with me?

Backwater
06-26-2008, 07:33 PM
If I lived in Toronto I'd be down.

Sonicifyouwantit
06-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I completely agree with all of this. I hate hippies, they're hypocrites. It should be spelled "hyppie." However, there is a whole lot of great music in the "jam band scene" you just have to be open minded enough to look past the die hard fans and just listen if you ever want to enjoy it. As far as that pan pan shit goes, that honestly has to be a west coast thing because I've heard of them reffered to as Panic thousands of times and Widespread several times but I've seriously never heard that shit once. So I guess it's LA that's gay/shitty. Anyway, the only thing worse than a hippie is a hipster.

I think it was made up on the board here.

Young blood
06-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Do you cunts really want me to prove to you that "pan-pan" used is widely utilized through its fanbase? I cant believe im even amusing the this tried bs. I hate jam.

Its even used all over the WP offical *** message board.

google.com
yahoo.com

you do the foot work.

Sonicifyouwantit
06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Do you cunts really want me to prove to you that "pan-pan" used is widely utilized through its fanbase? I cant believe im even amusing the this tried bs. I hate jam.

Its even used all over the WP offical *** message board.

google.com
yahoo.com

you do the foot work.

no.

Mr. Dylanja
06-26-2008, 08:56 PM
My roommate is a die hard "panic" fan, he's seen them 20+ times I've never once heard him say "pan pan". I saw WSP last year at the Roo, I thought they were entertaining. I was out of my mind ending a 3 day bender tho. You have to be on a major stimulant to enjoy them imo. I just don't get the obsession tho, I've known my roommate for 5 or so years and I've NEVER heard him listening to anything else EVER in his car or at home. Even if they are good, noone is THAT good. To each their own I guess...

Backwater
06-26-2008, 09:03 PM
I feel sorry for you. Get a new roommate. As much as I love WP, I find it completely insane to only listen to one band. At last year's Bonnaroo when they played Fairies Wear Boots I lost any respect I might have once had for the diehard WP fans because none of them knew it was a Black Sabbath song. They were all like, "Ohhhh, this must be a new WP song!!" This metalhead on acid started flipping out completely. It was hilarious! He was already tripping balls but once WP unexpectedly began playing a legendary metal song and none of these stupid hippies knew it, oh man he fucking lost his mind!!!!

Sonicifyouwantit
06-26-2008, 09:04 PM
My roommate is a die hard "panic" fan, he's seen them 20+ times I've never once heard him say "pan pan". I saw WSP last year at the Roo, I thought they were entertaining. I was out of my mind ending a 3 day bender tho. You have to be on a major stimulant to enjoy them imo. I just don't get the obsession tho, I've known my roommate for 5 or so years and I've NEVER heard him listening to anything else EVER in his car or at home. Even if they are good, noone is THAT good. To each their own I guess...

Last year I was in the vip camping area at bonn, my tent was next to the main stage. I fell asleep to them so that was kinda nice. Like I said I'm not gonna hate on 'em I'm just not big on 'em. When I hear people say panic I think panic at the disco...I bet widespread would hate to be confused with them.

Backwater
06-26-2008, 09:11 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kLAfCNWD6hc

I love the Kanye question! Haha. Talk about drawing a blank.

Backwater
06-26-2008, 09:18 PM
John Bell (singer of WP) on Fox News is like Micheal Richards on BET, a lost puppy.

Sexecutioner
06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
"Yeah, I'm done, I think"

"Cool, stash your equipment, I'll buy you a beer."

"No, I'm on my way home."

Keep in mind it's like 7:15. The sun is still out. One friend looks at me like I just told him his mom was dead. How could I possibly pass up a chance to see this amazing band?

sorry sparks, but you sound like a big pussy. i mean, im sure they might have sucked, but its 7:15, and you are going home? im sure that look he gave you wasnt as much of a "my moms dead?" look as much as it was a "get the fuckin sand out of your vagina!" look. i dont care how bad a band is, if somebody wants to buy me a beer why not chill for a bit and give them a few more songs to see if they can redeem themselves?

Sushov23
06-26-2008, 10:02 PM
hell. fucking. yes.

can you guys come to kensington market and beat the shit out of a patio of drunk hipsters with me?

I will sign up, anyone else in? Fuck hipsters. I'll fuck up some hipster in SD.

Backwater
06-26-2008, 10:08 PM
sorry sparks, but you sound like a big pussy. i mean, im sure they might have sucked, but its 7:15, and you are going home? im sure that look he gave you wasnt as much of a "my moms dead?" look as much as it was a "get the fuckin sand out of your vagina!" look. i dont care how bad a band is, if somebody wants to buy me a beer why not chill for a bit and give them a few more songs to see if they can redeem themselves?

Seriously. Sparks man, if you would have stayed for at least another half hour then you would have seen a mind-blowing Jimmy Herring solo, and yes and I do mean mind - blowing. That's why they use the simple three chord progesssion, to leave room for the amazing guitarist Jim Herring and his obscene solos. You think that new Cure guy does good guitar solos .... , shit? You ain't seen nothing yet, and apparently you won't ever see anything if you won't stay for 1/4 of the band's set because you're afraid of the "scene." Oh NO, Drugs, happy people dancing, with strangers!?! I'm going home! I'm sorry but live a little, man! Have an open mind!

Sushov23
06-26-2008, 10:14 PM

I love the Kanye question! Haha. Talk about drawing a blank.

I fucking loved the FOX NEWS Gogol Bordello plug. Lets you know what is up with GOGOL.

Backwater
06-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Yeah well if Fox News is good for anything, it's Gogol!!!!

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 06:22 AM

Because
1) I was fucking AT WORK, and I had been at work for 15 hours (not there, but elsewhere) and when your workplace is filled with 2996 douchebags listening to shitty music, I'm not in the mood to hang out with the four people I like when I'm done working. Do you hang around your workplace after you're done mopping in the hopes of hearing a good song on the Muzak?

2)I wouldn't drink any beer they served at this place anyway. Like, Sierra Neveda is the best beer they have, and I don't drink anything I can see through. I had plenty of good beer and good music at home. I'm sure if I was scrounging the dumpsters at night hoping to find a half-finished can of Chelada (because no-one finishes those). I might have been more gracious and appreciative.

3)No offense to these people, but I like my wife better than them. Maybe if I'd lived alone in a basement apartment for the last 30 years, I'd be more desperate for the companionship of casual acquaintances.

4)Why would I give a shit if they could "redeem themselves"? What's the point?

5)I've know this guy for years, and as far as I know, you haven't. He OBSESSES over these kinds of bands, and in his worldview, so does everyone else. He can't fathom that someone doesn't appreciate his musical tastes, and he is equally dismissive of everyone else's tastes, sometimes to the point of being an ass about it. I've had this conversation with him before when he somehow takes it personally that I wouldn't want to pay $30 to see Dark Star Orchestra or whatever. Since he knew I had got in for free, I'm sure he was hurt even more that I didn't want to watch "his band". (Actual quote). Like, I'm already out, it's free...it was a slap in the face to him. In fact, I actually felt bad, like I should have just told him "I've got some stuff to shoot in the back now", or "I have another shoot at 8:00" or something.

6)I've got other stuff going down in my life, and I need to go home at the end of the workday to deal with it.

NOT THAT ANYTHING I DO IN MY PERSONAL LIFE IS ANY OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS!

So, why don't you stop assuming you know anything about me personally, and I'll stop assuming you're a 50-year-old-virgin-loner-janitor-alcoholic. Which, I'm pretty sure isn't true.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 07:19 AM
You shouldn't have to justify shit Msparks. Never ever take anything offered to you by a hippie. You are lucky you made it through 3 songs. I would have wrapped that photo shoot up by avoiding it all together and just used videos from youtube.

fuck widespread panic.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 07:20 AM
fuck widespread panic.

i second this.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Seriously. Sparks man, if you would have stayed for at least another half hour then you would have seen a mind-blowing Jimmy Herring solo, and yes and I do mean mind - blowing. That's why they use the simple three chord progesssion, to leave room for the amazing guitarist Jim Herring and his obscene solos. You think that new Cure guy does good guitar solos .... , shit? You ain't seen nothing yet, and apparently you won't ever see anything if you won't stay for 1/4 of the band's set because you're afraid of the "scene." Oh NO, Drugs, happy people dancing, with strangers!?! I'm going home! I'm sorry but live a little, man! Have an open mind!

1)See above, only without as many personal insults, because at least you're trying to talk about the music.

2)Why would I want to see a band that takes an HOUR to do something interesting? I see plenty of shows every year from bands who actually play musically interesting songs and/or put on an energetic show. I'll take your word for it on Jim Herring. Maybe he should join a band that's more up to his level. Maybe if he wasn't forced to play endless Mel Bay chords all night, he wouldn't feel the need to express himself with a masturbatory guitar solo. And maybe he wouldn't look so goddammned bored the other 2 hours 45 minutes.

3)OK, I guess I don't know who the "new Cure guy" is. The "newest" guy is their drummer, whose name escapes me, but he's been around 10 years or more. Their current guitarist is Porl Thompson. Yes, he rejoined 3 or 4 years ago, but he's been in and out of The Cure since the 70's. He doesn't really play solos, he's more of a textural player. I don't like guitar solos, as should already be apparent by my comments above. I guess you could call what Porl does "solos" in that he takes off in his own direction, but it's not in a "hey, look at me, aren't I an amazing guitarist?" way. You can actually tell he's a great guitarist from beginning to end, you don't have to wait an hour for the band to "let him" show off.

Oh, by the way, the last time he left The Cure, it was to go on tour with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Also, although there's a thousand of these kind of things, someone thought it was worth it to sell a special Porl model guitar...
http://media.schecterguitars.com/imgs/porlthompson_corsair_bigsby.jpg

I'm not trying to insult your guy, I'm just saying if you're trying to insult ANOTHER guy's guitar cred, Porl Thompson is probably one of the worst possible examples you could come up with.

As for "the scene"...it envelops the town I live in. It's inescapable. I'm not "scared" of it. I'm sick of it. What you're describing is what I see walking down the sidewalk downtown. I go to shows (almost invariably in another city) to get AWAY from "the scene". It's fucking boring. I LOVE happy dancing strangers, but only when there's music that makes me want to dance. Whatever their first song was almost made me want to dance. I was almost sorry I was working and couldn't go down and enjoy it. They killed the vibe TEN MINUTES IN. And it wasn't just me...the crowd was getting bored too. That's why I said I couldn't get any good shots later on...I guess I didn't spell that out.

But anyway, you illustrated exactly what I hate most about the scene. I personally don't give a rats ass if anyone appreciates my musical tastes. It would be nice if more people did, and then I wouldn't have to drive 2 to 6 hours to see shows. But on a person to person level, it doesn't matter. But a good 90% of the people I meet that are into the scene think there's something wrong with ME because I don't enjoy their music. Most of them won't take it to the level of personal insults like Sexecutioner, because they're not hiding behind a fake name on a message board like a fucking 13 year old. But it's always somehow MY problem. And I never come out and insult the music either...I just say "No, I'm not going to see _____________", and somehow that makes ME an asshole. And then, almost invariably, they will turn right around and insult something I like. "I forget, you like that __________ shit." As if one has anything to do with the other. Every once in a while, you find a cool one like Ron. But in my town, most people TAKE it as an insult that I don't like Jam, then insult what I do like without any provoking. It's like being in Jr High for eternity.

Enjoy what you like, and respect my right not to like it.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 07:21 AM
I fucking loved the FOX NEWS

you should have knew something was wrong before you finished typing that sentence.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 07:32 AM

If there's one channel that jam fans watch, it's Fox Business!

I love that the stupid redneck is the business reporter in New York, and the intelligent, well spoken one is the hippie in Nashville.

M Sparks
06-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Finally they've embraced Claypool? Um, Claypool has been a big part of the jam scene for many years.

My point is, he didn't start out that way. He's doing the same thing he's always done, but 80% of his fanbase has shifted.

I know someone...specifically one of the people I saw at WP...who came up to me like 5 years ago and said "Man, my brother took me to see this band Primus this weekend, I had never heard them before."

"Yeah, I saw them around '93 or so. I didn't know they were back together."

"I had heard they'd been around for a while. They were awesome. I wouldn't have guessed you would like them."

(See the subtle insult..."you wouldn't like anything awesome")

There's like this secret list of music that's "approved" for jam fans to like. I like some things on the list, other things not at all. I just thought it was odd when Claypool somehow showed up on the list. Maybe my town is a few years behind the curve, but you can't tell me that when I was in college listening to Frizzle Fry, Claypool was a "big part of the jam scene."

Sonicifyouwantit
06-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I will sign up, anyone else in? Fuck hipsters. I'll fuck up some hipster in SD.

if you need help fighting a 90 lb boy you need to be signing up for gym pass not a hipster gang rape.

I'll take a solo by Prince any day.

You shouldn't have to justify shit Msparks. Never ever take anything offered to you by a hippie. You are lucky you made it through 3 songs. I would have wrapped that photo shoot up by avoiding it all together and just used videos from youtube.

fuck widespread panic.

I think I'm with you

i second this.

and you, especially about talking heads for 2009

Sexecutioner
06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
jesus christ sparks. calm down. if its none of my business then why did you have to write me a fucking essay about it? seriously, i was just giving you a hard time, no need to write a 10 page rant on how boring your life is.

and for the record, i also hate hippies, and could care less about panic or any of those other hippy jam bands. just sayin, if i was at a show, id let my buddy buy me a beer and chill out a little. please dont respond to this, since i dont have time to read another one of your replies. we can just agree to disagree.

Sonicifyouwantit
06-27-2008, 10:15 AM
that interview called the fans....spread heads. I'll leave it at that

canexplain
06-27-2008, 10:28 AM

well i am a hippie and a jam band fan, but i dont think i talk down to anyone esp about tunes ... i like all kinds of music and i never act superior i dont think ... that is depressing to hear on a friday :( x****

menikmati
06-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Because
1) I was fucking AT WORK, and I had been at work for 15 hours (not there, but elsewhere) and when your workplace is filled with 2996 douchebags listening to shitty music, I'm not in the mood to hang out with the four people I like when I'm done working. Do you hang around your workplace after you're done mopping in the hopes of hearing a good song on the Muzak?

2)I wouldn't drink any beer they served at this place anyway. Like, Sierra Neveda is the best beer they have, and I don't drink anything I can see through. I had plenty of good beer and good music at home. I'm sure if I was scrounging the dumpsters at night hoping to find a half-finished can of Chelada (because no-one finishes those). I might have been more gracious and appreciative.

3)No offense to these people, but I like my wife better than them. Maybe if I'd lived alone in a basement apartment for the last 30 years, I'd be more desperate for the companionship of casual acquaintances.

4)Why would I give a shit if they could "redeem themselves"? What's the point?

5)I've know this guy for years, and as far as I know, you haven't. He OBSESSES over these kinds of bands, and in his worldview, so does everyone else. He can't fathom that someone doesn't appreciate his musical tastes, and he is equally dismissive of everyone else's tastes, sometimes to the point of being an ass about it. I've had this conversation with him before when he somehow takes it personally that I wouldn't want to pay $30 to see Dark Star Orchestra or whatever. Since he knew I had got in for free, I'm sure he was hurt even more that I didn't want to watch "his band". (Actual quote). Like, I'm already out, it's free...it was a slap in the face to him. In fact, I actually felt bad, like I should have just told him "I've got some stuff to shoot in the back now", or "I have another shoot at 8:00" or something.

6)I've got other stuff going down in my life, and I need to go home at the end of the workday to deal with it.

NOT THAT ANYTHING I DO IN MY PERSONAL LIFE IS ANY OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS!

So, why don't you stop assuming you know anything about me personally, and I'll stop assuming you're a 50-year-old-virgin-loner-janitor-alcoholic. Which, I'm pretty sure isn't true.

You always say nothing of yours is our business, yet all you do is ramble on about "your business". :blah

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 10:38 AM
As far as that pan pan shit goes, that honestly has to be a west coast thing because I've heard of them reffered to as Panic thousands of times and Widespread several times but I've seriously never heard that shit once. So I guess it's LA that's gay/shitty. Anyway, the only thing worse than a hippie is a hipster.

you are wrong once again... in both ways. this review was written by someone in Virginia...

"Going to see Widespread Panic gives me a sort of giddy excitement that only a few other bands can top. Now that they have guitarist Jimmy Herring in the mix, the energy is insane. They nearly blew the roof off the Landmark Theater in the second set. I will say, though, that I prefer the Pan-Pan in outdoor venues."

http://kat3260.blogspot.com/2007/04/widespread-panic-live-4307-richmond-va.html

I think it was made up on the board here.

surprisingly it wasn't.

and the only thing worse than a hippie is a pretentious hippie... they can especially be found at Thievery Corporation shows. get your shit right.

kreutz2112
06-27-2008, 11:56 AM
I went and saw Railroad Earth last week. It was fun and we met a bunch of people who follow them on tour. They were nice.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I'll take a solo by Prince any day.

I love Prince too. I think the three best guitarists in the world right now are Prince, Buckethead, and Derek Trucks.

Ok, ok, you are guys are right about the pan pan shit and I really don't care because I'm not nearly as big of a WP fan as I was 3 or 4 years ago. I guess that gay term was coined sometime within the past few years when I haven't been as keen on WP. This does make me less of a fan of them because that's an incredibly gay nickname, so if that's what you were trying to do then you win.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 12:17 PM
and the only thing worse than a hippie is a pretentious hippie... they can especially be found at Thievery Corporation shows. get your shit right.

Thanks for the info big guy.

Sonicifyouwantit
06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
surprisingly it wasn't.

I was more or less just trying to marginalize it. I know it wasnt because the conversation eluded to as much. its all good though.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 01:24 PM
I was more or less just trying to marginalize it. I know it wasnt because the conversation eluded to as much. its all good though.

yea, i really didn't mean anything negative by it, at least toward you.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Ok, ok, you are guys are right about the pan pan shit and I really don't care because I'm not nearly as big of a WP fan as I was 3 or 4 years ago. I guess that gay term was coined sometime within the past few years when I haven't been as keen on WP. This does make me less of a fan of them because that's an incredibly gay nickname, so if that's what you were trying to do then you win.

Additionally, using "gay" as a synonym for something being stupid/shitty/lame is incredibly immature/juvenile and ignorant and the fact that you are probably out of middle school and still do it is pathetic. it is also a indication of what you are like in real life. that is all.

Sexecutioner
06-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Additionally, using "gay" as a synonym for something being stupid/shitty/lame is incredibly immature/juvenile and ignorant and the fact that you are probably out of middle school and still do it is pathetic. that is all.

maybe he wasnt using it as a synonym. maybe he meant that pan-pan is literally gay, as in, only guys who like to eat penis would refer to the band as pan-pan. just a thought...

jigsaw
06-27-2008, 01:34 PM
i thought that the gay/shitty synonym is pretty accurate. just saying.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Additionally, using "gay" as a synonym for something being stupid/shitty/lame is incredibly immature/juvenile and ignorant and the fact that you are probably out of middle school and still do it is pathetic. it is also a indication of what you are like in real life. that is all.

You are a flamer.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
i thought that the gay/shitty synonym is pretty accurate. just saying.

and your pathetic, what's your point?

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 01:41 PM
You are a flamer.

you're pathetic... and there is nothing clever about saying something that isn't true, but being clever was never a stong point of yours... so, no surprises.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:42 PM

Oh and just for the info, I was just agreeing with what this guy said. Flamer.

Backwater
06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
you're pathetic... and there is nothing clever about saying something that isn't true, but being clever was never a stong point of yours... so, no surprises.

Wow, just wow. Everyone look long and hard at this post. Jesus.

canexplain
06-27-2008, 01:45 PM
i know i can say this .....come on kids, calm down now ..... and btw, its funny because i think after reading all of this, you kinda agree on the topic thread any way ....x****

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Wow, just wow. Everyone look long and hard at this post. Jesus.

what are you, like 15? you still live with your mom right?

Backwater
06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
i know i can say this .....come on kids, calm down now ..... and btw, its funny because i think after reading all of this, you kinda agree on the topic thread any way ....x****

I know, I'm calm. It's this hipster loser over here that needs to settle down.

BlackSwan
06-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I know, I'm calm. It's this hipster loser over here that needs to settle down.

ok... which white boy are you...?

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2073/hahahahaby9.jpg

...cause there is a major case of the pot calling the kettle black here (on both the flamer and hipster comments)

Young blood
06-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Both you assholes need to shut the fuck up and quit hurting the image of this message board.

You are embarrassing me.

sbessiso
06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
maybe he wasnt using it as a synonym. maybe he meant that pan-pan is literally gay, as in, only guys who like to eat penis would refer to the band as pan-pan. just a thought...

you MAY be onto something here...

Backwater
06-29-2008, 02:28 AM
you MAY be onto something here...

Exactlyy!!!! We are all homosexuals, who immensely enjoy fucking ourselves up each otheres assesses FO REAL, BRo!!!!!

frozen pilgrim
06-29-2008, 04:04 AM
well i am a hippie and a jam band fan, but i dont think i talk down to anyone esp about tunes ... i like all kinds of music and i never act superior i dont think ... that is depressing to hear on a friday :( x****

you're a REAL hippie. first wave. old school.
I think the "hippies" being referred to as elitist in this thread are these new age college know-it-all trust fund dickheads who are sullying the name and intention of your generation's movement.

we know you're the coolest one on here, ron :)

M Sparks
06-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I think the "hippies" being referred to as elitist in this thread are these new age college know-it-all trust fund dickheads who are sullying the name and intention of your generation's movement.

Seconded.

I always have the urge to write "(not you, Ron)" at the end of any post on this sort of topic.

M Sparks
06-30-2008, 08:57 PM
You always say nothing of yours is our business, yet all you do is ramble on about "your business". :blah

You have a point here, though I would take issue with "always". Probably more like twice.

I will admit to being a major hypocrite, considering the vicious shit I've said to you with very little provocation.

frozen pilgrim
06-30-2008, 09:01 PM
oh shit- I just looked at my post count. 18 months on here... almost 1K.
it's ok. it means I'm only 1/13th the douchebag supre is.
but still. 1000... I'm not sure I'm ready. when does 'old school' designation kick in?

Somewhat Damaged
06-30-2008, 09:14 PM
In about 3 posts.

M Sparks
06-30-2008, 09:30 PM
oh shit- I just looked at my post count. 18 months on here... almost 1K.
it's ok. it means I'm only 1/13th the douchebag supre is.
but still. 1000... I'm not sure I'm ready. when does 'old school' designation kick in?

Blah blah blah, you you you. :D

It's not so much how many posts...it's what percentage of them say some variation of "I already told you" or "I already knew that".

My post count roughly breaks down like this...

5%- Actual intelligent conversation
7%- Humorous posts
8%- Failed attempts at humorous posts
2%- Riotously hilarious posts that no one gets.
4%- Unfair, unnecessary personal attacks.
5%- Completely deserved personal attacks.
6%- "Back in my day..."
2%- Pointless movie references
4%- General assholery
11%- Obsessive (various topics)
7%- Apologies
6%- Corrections (to my own posts)
12%- Corrections (to others)
8%- Non Sequitars
12%- Complete wastes of time
1%- Fabricated lists.

kreutz2112
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM
heres how my posts break down.

100%- Anything related to radiohead.

M Sparks
07-01-2008, 11:19 AM
heres how my posts break down.

100%- Anything related to radiohead.

Make that...

99.98%- Anything related to Radiohead
.02%- Inserting Radiohead into unrelated threads that have derailed into tangents.

BTW, I've got Rape Stove on my Netflix queue...can't wait.

canexplain
07-01-2008, 12:02 PM

tnx gang, and i do understand and know what you are saying about "some" hippies .... x****