PDA

View Full Version : How can I get a legitimate wireless connection

full on idle
06-24-2008, 10:30 PM
without purchasing a membership to television?

I have one (1) laptop and right now I run it through a router that I set up from a friend's apartment in the same building but he's moving and I don't own a television and I don't want to buy cable so how can I get online without having to ask another neighbor to route me through their network. Are there wireless networks just hovering? For purchase at a reasonable rate?

I live in the belly middle of San Francisco. For reference.

Hannahrain
06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
There was one hovering for daily, weekly, or monthly purchase where I was in SF, which I used a few times while my roommate and I were sharing one ethernet access point between the two of us. They were inconsistent enough that I eventually just bought a wireless router and split the line, but it's entirely possible that you'll find one that isn't so crummy.

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Do they have clearwire where you live?

full on idle
06-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Hannah, Nothing shows up in my available wireless networks except secured networks. Do you have a link?

Do they have clearwire where you live?
I don't know, would you like to give me an explanation or link?

RotationSlimWang
Are there absolutely no non-password protected networks just floating around your building? Seems unlikely that at least one of your neighbors doesn't bother with encryption. Shit, I don't.

EDIT: Nevermind, answered while I was typing.

betao
Do what I do and check any available wireless networks that dont have any securities or passwords on them. As long as your computer can pick up on wireless signals, then that should work fine. I've been doing that for about a year now. I dont know which neighbor is giving me access, but whoever it is... thanks.

edit: same here, answered while typing up this post.

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Nothing shows up in my available wireless networks except secured networks. Do you have a link?

clearwire.com

it's pretty cool and reasonable, I did it for a month in between living situations. not sure if they have it down south.

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 10:41 PM
also, if you are on a Mac I could help you learn how to crack WPA protected wireless networks... I wouldn't recommend doing it on a regular basis though...

full on idle
06-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Do what I do and check any available wireless networks that dont have any securities or passwords on them. As long as your computer can pick up on wireless signals, then that should work fine. I've been doing that for about a year now. I dont know which neighbor is giving me access, but whoever it is... thanks.

edit: same here, answered while typing up this post.

That's cool, I appreciate the effort, but yes, apparently all my regional neighbors are savvy enough to protect tha neck. And net.

full on idle
06-24-2008, 10:45 PM
also, if you are on a Mac I could help you learn how to crack WPA protected wireless networks... I wouldn't recommend doing it on a regular basis though...

My friend that knows how to do this won't because its unethical.

Also I am on a Dell laptop.

Hannahrain
06-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Hannah, Nothing shows up in my available wireless networks except secured networks. Do you have a link?

It always just took me to a start page when I clicked on the network, so if it doesn't show itself it's probably not available. I can't find a link to anything that shows it to you or gives you the option to look into it, only to a few google maps that reference the physical location. It was called Citi-Net, and it came from somewhere on Sutter. It was inconsistent and slow, but that was more than a year ago and they've had a long time to improve. Or go out of business, actually. Which is also possible.

full on idle
06-24-2008, 10:47 PM
clearwire.com

it's pretty cool and reasonable, I did it for a month in between living situations. not sure if they have it down south.

Currently not available in my city. How lame.

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 10:48 PM
My friend that knows how to do this won't because its unethical.

It's also risky, not in legal terms, just in terms of someone fucking you back if you screw up (or cross someone smarter than you).

Clearwire is an awesome deal if you do a one year commitment (there are decent plans starting at like 15 a month). Looks like they have some CA coverage, not sure if it's SF or not but you can type your address in at their website. edit: nvm... bummer

betao
06-24-2008, 10:49 PM
That's cool, I appreciate the effort, but yes, apparently all my regional neighbors are savvy enough to protect tha neck. And net.

That sucks. But you'll figure out something. And whats so bad about buying a cable TV? As long as you look in the right place they can be pretty cheap.

full on idle
06-24-2008, 10:53 PM
I haven't owned a television in a little over 2 years, and I like life without it.

sonofhal
06-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Are there absolutely no non-password protected networks just floating around your building? Seems unlikely that at least one of your neighbors doesn't bother with encryption. Shit, I don't.

You seriously should. Once one of your neighbours starts doing illegal stuff using your connection, you'll have the fun job of trying to prove it wasn't you.

full on idle
06-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi Chris how is NYC

sonofhal
06-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm back in England now (for a week) and then off to Australia for 3 weeks to see the in-laws.

NYC was cool tho. The Bowery Ballroom is a very nice venue.

RotationSlimWang
06-24-2008, 11:01 PM
You seriously should. Once one of your neighbours starts doing illegal stuff using your connection, you'll have the fun job of trying to prove it wasn't you.

Um... I do illegal shit with it.

betao
06-24-2008, 11:02 PM
ahahahahahahaahaha.

RotationSlimWang
06-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Wait a minute, your name is Chris? I feel deceived. Is your dad's name Hal at least or are you just a lying sack of shit?

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 11:08 PM
I haven't owned a television in a little over 2 years, and I like life without it.

fuckin a.

sonofhal
06-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Wait a minute, your name is Chris? I feel deceived. Is your dad's name Hal at least or are you just a lying sack of shit?

The latter.

aeroplanee
06-24-2008, 11:09 PM
You could get one of those things through your cell phone company (if you have one) that gives you service wherever theres phone service, they might be pricey, i dont know how pricey they are, they could be a lot

kreutz2112
06-24-2008, 11:11 PM
buy a tv you god damn hippie.

orbit
06-24-2008, 11:23 PM
there are providers like qwest or charter that give you internet only without asking you to subscribe for cable or phone service. i don't know how pricey are them, though.

Mr. Dylanja
06-24-2008, 11:27 PM
You should be ashamed of yourself foi!

Wheres the beef?
06-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Just call comcast or AT&T. They will give you internet without TV. Comcast is like $45/month (non introductory rate). I know AT&T is cheaper but I heard their service is shitty.

wmgaretjax
06-25-2008, 12:27 AM
comcast has a 19.99 for 6 months special going on...

vinylmartyr
06-25-2008, 06:06 AM
DSL

TomAz
06-25-2008, 06:20 AM
You could get one of those things through your cell phone company (if you have one) that gives you service wherever theres phone service, they might be pricey, i dont know how pricey they are, they could be a lot

i have one for work. they are pricey. and not as fast as wifi, at least not yet.

marooko
06-25-2008, 06:25 AM
dont be a cheap ass, pay for service.

Young blood
06-25-2008, 07:02 AM
buld a can antenna to boost your wifi and steal it from the financial district.

full on idle
06-25-2008, 07:54 AM
I couldn't find a cheap way on Verizon.

buy a tv you god damn hippie.
If I had a tv I would never leave my apartment, look how bad I am with just the fucking internet.

there are providers like qwest or charter that give you internet only without asking you to subscribe for cable or phone service. i don't know how pricey are them, though.
Qwest, Charter, I wrote these down to look into.

You should be ashamed of yourself foi!
Why, Mr. Dylanja?

Just call comcast or AT&T. They will give you internet without TV. Comcast is like $45/month (non introductory rate). I know AT&T is cheaper but I heard their service is shitty.
Really?

comcast has a 19.99 for 6 months special going on...
Super! I will have to look into this.

DSL
But I want wirrreless (in a whiny voice)

buld a can antenna to boost your wifi and steal it from the financial district.
hmmmmmm...

gaypalmsprings
06-25-2008, 07:56 AM
2 words: public library

full on idle
06-25-2008, 08:02 AM
...in my apartment.

I'll get annoyed by all the homeless that come inside to sleep.

Young blood
this one works great and its cheap and easy to build.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wifi-Signal-Strainer-WokFi/

SFChrissy
You can get access thru the cable or phone company without having a landline or cable...

Young blood
06-25-2008, 08:08 AM
http://meraki.com/

menikmati
06-25-2008, 08:09 AM
comcast blows. Aren't there like a lot of different apt buildings in SF that offer free wifi? I saw something about it on the news like 2-3 days ago, this company was installing free wifi in tons of different buildings...maybe get your landlord person to sign up for that. If not, you can get AT&T to install DSL in your place (like 19.95 a month) and then just run the connection through a wireless router, so your laptop will pick it up anywhere in your apartment.

edit, see:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/12/MN6N117KJU.DTL

shakermaker113
06-25-2008, 08:18 AM

when I called comcast three months ago, the non-introductory rate was more like $60 or $70 a month. I forget the exact number. plus there was a $100 installation fee I couldn't avoid. plus they would need to come into my apartment to turn it on, meaning someone had to be around waiting for 4 hours for the dude to show up.

I got at&t dsl instead. $36 a month, ongoing rate. no installation fees. and they could turn it on from outside the apartment. one downside -- you have to purchase a modem & router, you cannot rent them. but they should be re-useable.

as for the original question -- any internet conncetion can be turned into a wireless connection with a wireless router. there are some services you can buy which will provide you wireless access all over the city. I'm not sure how those work though, I've never tried.

Hannahrain
06-25-2008, 08:24 AM
this one works great and its cheap and easy to build.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Wifi-Signal-Strainer-WokFi/

Instructables is pretty much my favorite site ever. It's the only one I know of that offers instructions to build a Knex sniper rifle and instructions to make your own almond roca on the same page.

vinylmartyr
06-25-2008, 08:31 AM
I couldn't find a cheap way on Verizon.

If I had a tv I would never leave my apartment, look how bad I am with just the fucking internet.

Qwest, Charter, I wrote these down to look into.

Why, Mr. Dylanja?

Really?

Super! I will have to look into this.

But I want wirrreless (in a whiny voice)

hmmmmmm...

We have wireless DSL at our apt.

roberto73
06-25-2008, 08:37 AM
The friendly man on the Net Zero ads tells me you can get dial-up for only $9.95/month. After all, it's the same internet, so who cares that it takes a day and a half to load each page? That way, checking the Coachella board will also give you a chance to catch up on reading and housecleaning.

BROKENDOLL
06-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I bet there's someone on that lengthy ignore list of hers that has the best and most helpful suggestion, but she'll never know that! So, I'll just enjoy the mental image of her sitting alone in a pint sized box, in the midst of S.F. with no TV and no internet, talking to herself in that whiny little voice...

TomAz
06-25-2008, 01:54 PM
I have wireless DSL at my house. the wire goes to the DSL modem, which routes directly to my Airport Express hub.

Roadkillhighway951
06-25-2008, 02:00 PM
the only way to make a legitimate wireless conecction is to not use wires duh your own question gives the answer geez am i the only one with .11 gpa

TomAz
06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
bwahahahhhahahaha, Roadkill, you slay me!

full on idle
06-25-2008, 02:04 PM
when I called comcast three months ago, the non-introductory rate was more like $60 or $70 a month. I forget the exact number. plus there was a $100 installation fee I couldn't avoid. plus they would need to come into my apartment to turn it on, meaning someone had to be around waiting for 4 hours for the dude to show up.

I got at&t dsl instead. $36 a month, ongoing rate. no installation fees. and they could turn it on from outside the apartment. one downside -- you have to purchase a modem & router, you cannot rent them. but they should be re-useable.

as for the original question -- any internet conncetion can be turned into a wireless connection with a wireless router. there are some services you can buy which will provide you wireless access all over the city. I'm not sure how those work though, I've never tried.

hahah I'm an idiot with regard to making a DSL wireless.

So this (above) seems like my best bet, especially if I don't have to be home to let anyone in. I already have a router, how much does a modem cost and do they have them at Best Buy or something?

TomAz
06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't understand why you think it's easy to make cable wireless and hard to make DSL wireless.

full on idle
06-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Did I say I thought it was easy to make cable wireless?

TomAz
06-25-2008, 02:16 PM
well it was implied. comcast = cable right?

full on idle
06-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Tom, the question was how to do it without having to buy cable television. I don't know where the disconnect is here. I don't know anything about DSL. I went from dial-up to wireless (mostly stolen). That is my history.

Jenniehoo
06-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Tom sometimes when you help you don't help.

Valarie I think you can hook up your internet through your phone line. Do you have a phone line? You can hook up a wireless router (through Comcast or something) and then you'll have wireless in your apt with no cable. I think DSL wireless is when you do this and cable wireless is when you do the same thing through cable (like what we have at our house - that hub thing - you need one of those that's connected to your phone line).

You should check out Comcast's site.

dorkfish
06-25-2008, 02:44 PM

EDIT: Nevermind, answered while I was typing.
People that use encryption don't even know how to use decent encryption. If my legitimate connection that I owns fails, I have a few unlocked wireless signals and several of my neighbors that thought WEP was secure's signals as backup. Cloverfield couldn't take me offline.

TomAz
06-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Tom, the question was how to do it without having to buy cable television. I don't know where the disconnect is here. I don't know anything about DSL. I went from dial-up to wireless (mostly stolen). That is my history.

all you need is a phone (land) line to do DSL.

full on idle
06-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Do I have to open a phone company account and get a phone number or do I just have to have the capability to? I think there's a phone jack somewhere in my place but I don't know where.

I hate figuring things out. I wish they would just make the world wireless and free.

psychic friend
06-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I have DSL with a wireless router. Works with my laptop and PS3. $25 a month via sbcglobal (i think it's att). Yes have to have a land line to do this so i have the minimum stuff possible. Total cost including phone/internet is $36 a month.

RotationSlimWang
06-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Just order DSL and tell them you need your router to have wireless built-in, they'll come out and set it all up. You won't have to worry your pretty little head, Val baby.

BROKENDOLL
06-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Do I have to open a phone company account and get a phone number or do I just have to have the capability to? I think there's a phone jack somewhere in my place but I don't know where.

I hate figuring things out. I wish they would just make the world wireless and free.
No TV, no phone, and soon to be, no internet...But, you have one helluvan ignore list! And it's all ABC! You go girl!

dorkfish
06-25-2008, 02:56 PM
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/910/howitworksfs2.png

full on idle
06-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I have a router.
I don't have a modem.
I don't use landline phones, I use cell phones.

Brad, just unencrypt me a little something.

TomAz
06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
what does your router route?

RotationSlimWang
06-25-2008, 03:06 PM

It broadcasts love at 2.47 Ghz.

TomAz
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
she should upgrade to 'n' then.

shakermaker113
06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
hahah I'm an idiot with regard to making a DSL wireless.

So this (above) seems like my best bet, especially if I don't have to be home to let anyone in. I already have a router, how much does a modem cost and do they have them at Best Buy or something?

AT&T can provide you with DSL. You do need a phone jack in your place, which must actually be attached to a phone line. You do not, however, need to purchase phone service to get DSL from AT&T. (I get DSL from them. I do not have landline phone service.)

Comcast can provide you with cable internet for some outrageous price. You can get cable internet without getting cable tv. They will try very hard to talk you into buying Comcast digital voice as well, but there's no need. Cable internet can be purchased on its own. You need to have cable outlets to purchase this.

Whichever you get, you will need a modem to actually use the service. AT&T make you buy a DSL modem, and I suggest buying it direct from them otherwise setup is a hassle, and you may never actually get it working. They sell modems for $50, or modem-router combinations for a little more. Comcast allow you to rent a Cable Modem for a few dollars a month. In both cases setup is made ridiculously simple by the cd & instructions they provide you with.

Once you have DSL/Cable service and the modem is set up correctly, you can make it wireless by connecting the modem to a wireless router. This is again usually made very simple by following the instructions provided with your router. If you have a combined modem-router, this step would not be necessary.

schoolofruckus
06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
People that use encryption don't even know how to use decent encryption. If my legitimate connection that I owns fails, I have a few unlocked wireless signals and several of my neighbors that thought WEP was secure's signals as backup. Cloverfield couldn't take me offline.

Except during the fantasy football draft.

full on idle
06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
OH SICK BURN

M Sparks
I like the concept of "membership to television".

Can't you get DSL? I live in the woods...satellite internet is my only option and it's ridiculously expensive.

full on idle
AT&T can provide you with DSL. You do need a phone jack in your place, which must actually be attached to a phone line. You do not, however, need to purchase phone service to get DSL from AT&T. (I get DSL from them. I do not have landline phone service.)

Comcast can provide you with cable internet for some outrageous price. You can get cable internet without getting cable tv. They will try very hard to talk you into buying Comcast digital voice as well, but there's no need. Cable internet can be purchased on its own. You need to have cable outlets to purchase this.

Whichever you get, you will need a modem to actually use the service. AT&T make you buy a DSL modem, and I suggest buying it direct from them otherwise setup is a hassle, and you may never actually get it working. They sell modems for $50, or modem-router combinations for a little more. Comcast allow you to rent a Cable Modem for a few dollars a month. In both cases setup is made ridiculously simple by the cd & instructions they provide you with.

Once you have DSL/Cable service and the modem is set up correctly, you can make it wireless by connecting the modem to a wireless router. This is again usually made very simple by following the instructions provided with your router. If you have a combined modem-router, this step would not be necessary.

Thank you, really, so much. You've been a great help to me.

Tom, did you read my first post? Or are you just trying to be annoying?

TomAz
06-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I read it, but that was like hours ago though. I forgot.

psychic friend
06-25-2008, 04:01 PM
I didnt know that I dont NEED phone service. I have att. I wonder if I can cancel the phone service and just keep the dsl part. the only reason i got the dumb land line was for the dsl.

thinnerair
06-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Go to the library.

full on idle
06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
They make me put out my cigarette.

wmgaretjax
06-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I didnt know that I dont NEED phone service. I have att. I wonder if I can cancel the phone service and just keep the dsl part. the only reason i got the dumb land line was for the dsl.

business these days is so fabulous isn't it?

shakermaker113
06-25-2008, 04:44 PM

they try to sell them together, but if you're getting DSL direct from AT&T you don't need the phone service. (if you get DSL from a third party company that's another story). call them up and see if you can cancel the landline.

psychic friend
06-25-2008, 04:52 PM
it was originally sbc yahoo. but its ATT.

RotationSlimWang
06-25-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm pretty sure you still have to pay whatever the charge is for an active phone line regardless of whether or not you're paying for phone service.

wmgaretjax
06-25-2008, 05:45 PM
I want to get the new Verizon FiOS service... I'm moving in two weeks and I'm gonna see if the place I'm moving to is supported.

dorkfish
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Except during the fantasy football draft.
Why do you think that I have a backup solution, now?

I still can't believe that some ass physically knifed through our cable lines outside of my building moments before that draft.

shakermaker113
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm pretty sure you still have to pay whatever the charge is for an active phone line regardless of whether or not you're paying for phone service.

eh. maybe. they could just be hiding the cost by not telling us we're paying for it.

I still think it's cheaper without the phone service though. the cheapest internet-only monthly plan is $29.00 per month (at least, the cheapest available in my area). PF is paying more than that for her combined internet/phone service. but to compare accurately I'd need to know what internet plan she is getting.

RotationSlimWang
06-25-2008, 06:16 PM
eh. maybe. they could just be hiding the cost by not telling us we're paying for it.

I still think it's cheaper without the phone service though. the cheapest internet-only monthly plan is $29.00 per month (at least, the cheapest available in my area). PF is paying more than that for her combined internet/phone service. but to compare accurately I'd need to know what internet plan she is getting.

I don't think you get it. Phone charges are something you accumulate by using the phone. To the best of my knowledge though, DSL through the phone company (it has to run over phone line) still charges a monthly fee of something like 5 bucks just for having an active line. Whether the line is then used for phone--in which case it would incur phone charges--or hooks into a DSL converter--in which case it incurs DSL charges--is determined above and beyond the charge for the line.

psychic friend
06-25-2008, 08:13 PM
To the best of my knowledge though, DSL through the phone company (it has to run over phone line) still charges a monthly fee of something like 5 bucks just for having an active line. Whether the line is then used for phone--in which case it would incur phone charges--or hooks into a DSL converter--in which case it incurs DSL charges--is determined above and beyond the charge for the line.

i have whatever phone service is the cheapest to keep the line open. i dont even have a phone plugged into it. it is more than $5 (with those stupid taxes and stuff). if i lied about income it would be cheaper though, with that universal life line stuff.

Bud Luster
06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
i have whatever phone service is the cheapest to keep the line open. i dont even have a phone plugged into it. it is more than $5 (with those stupid taxes and stuff). if i lied about income it would be cheaper though, with that universal life line stuff.

This is a bit off topic, but you should keep a phone plugged into it for emergency use only (911) Calling 911 from you cell directs you in all manner of fucked up ways (usually to the highway patrol) and not to the 911 call center.

*edit: even you dont have an active phone line the phone co will set it up (free) so you can use the land line connected to your residence to call 911.

Young blood
06-25-2008, 08:32 PM
911 is for pussies.

full on idle
06-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I heard it's a joke.

full on idle
06-25-2008, 08:48 PM
In my town.

shakermaker113
06-25-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't think you get it. Phone charges are something you accumulate by using the phone. To the best of my knowledge though, DSL through the phone company (it has to run over phone line) still charges a monthly fee of something like 5 bucks just for having an active line. Whether the line is then used for phone--in which case it would incur phone charges--or hooks into a DSL converter--in which case it incurs DSL charges--is determined above and beyond the charge for the line.

if you get local service only, no long distance, it costs about $11 a month, flat rate, regardless of whether you use it or not. you can make as many local calls as you like, no charges accumulate. this is the cheapest possible way to get landline phone service from AT&T.

you can get DSL alone for $29.00 per month. you cannot make local calls. and the advertised price is exactly what you pay. (at least, it is for me.)

PF seems to have the cheapest way of getting both DSL and a landline from AT&T, and she is paying $36 a month.

I don't disagree with your suggestion that there is a fee for having an active line -- but it is included in the $29 they advertise. the ability to make local calls costs more, regardless of whether you make use of it.