PDA

View Full Version : electric storm/fires in california

unitedwestand
06-24-2008, 07:09 PM
its fucking smokey as fuck up here.
God damn lightning why does it have to hit 8,000 times in one day?
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/24/wildfires.california.ap/index.html

Bud Luster
06-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah, it was wicked this weekend. It was sunny and HOT AS FUCK during morning and early afternoon and then these SUPER DARK clouds slowly came looming in. Then about a dozen drops of water and serious thunder and lightning. Dry lightning they call it (for obv reasons). Now the whole fucking place is on fire and if you dont have fire you have smoke. Nothing compared to SD last year and during 2003 though.

meyouseek
06-24-2008, 11:27 PM
'bout time central and northern California picked up the slack!

Of course since it hasn't hardly rained here in LA I'm expecting another exciting fire season. Funny, the only seasons we get around here are summer and fire.

BROKENDOLL
06-26-2008, 09:25 PM

Of course since it hasn't hardly rained here in LA I'm expecting another exciting fire season. Funny, the only seasons we get around here are summer and fire.
No,no,not cool to wish that on anyone. So mant people lost so much last year and Northern Ca. is like the only lush place left after that.

bmack86
06-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Not anymore, it seems. It's so sad to look at the maps of northern California. The far north is one gigantic fire. There aren't any where I'm at right now, thankfully, but I won't be surprised when they come.

SFChrissy
06-27-2008, 07:20 AM
The air is so smokey up here I havent smoked in a week and the sun looks gnarly...like a big orange ball in the sky...

marooko
06-27-2008, 07:22 AM
yeah, the smoke is pretty fierce. its just hazy all day. weird.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 07:27 AM
I sorta hope you dont die in a painful fire....

marooko
06-27-2008, 07:36 AM
i dont know if i truly believe you, but thanks.

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 08:21 AM

I may be wrong, but I believe we got more rain this year than we did last year. I think I heard that somewhere. I would look it up, but I have better things to do right now. Well, no I don't. I'm just lazy.

Stay safe Nor. Cal people.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Yeah it's smokey up here too....but the worst part of the fire season for me? Is having to listen to my dad spew out story after story (all of which I've heard 100x before already) of how he fought forest fires for 11 seasons back in the 70's.

marooko
06-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah it's smokey up here too....but the worst part of the fire season for me? Is having to listen to my dad spew out story after story (all of which I've heard 100x before already) of how he fought forest fires for 11 seasons back in the 70's.

up hill both ways?

Young blood
06-27-2008, 08:51 AM
with no shoes on and baby bears on his back.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 08:57 AM
hahaha...actually one of the stories is how he and his crew saved the smokey the bear, I kid you not.

Another one is when he and his crew ate some pork and beans one night in camp, then they all got horribly sick from food poisoning, and then seriously thought about grabbing their hatchets and making their way over to the cook's tent to slaughter all of them.

There was the time when one of the guys got drunk, and hopped in the helicopter that took him straight up and then the guy sky dived (or whatever the word for it is - fire jumper) right into the big bonfire they had.

There was the time he was almost killed when a gigantic log came rolling down the side of this hill he was stranded on, and missed him by 6 inches or less.

The first summer he fought fires in Arizona, it was like 115 out and their refrigeration truck finally showed up only to break down an hour later, so for the rest of the month they were stuck drinking hot shasta cola.

He slept in paper sleeping bags every night in the dirt with giant tarantula wasps buzzing around him.

There's the story of the guy in the Arizona crew who stuck his hand through a cactus on purpose, just so he could be airlifted out the fire range, and he was laughing at everyone who had to stay behind.

The list goes on and on...

marooko
06-27-2008, 09:07 AM
There was the time when one of the guys got drunk, and hopped in the helicopter that took him straight up and then the guy sky dived (or whatever the word for it is - fire jumper) right into the big bonfire they had.

what happened to the helicopter?

i like your dad.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 09:10 AM
That job definitely takes some balls to do.

locachica73
06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
a tarantula wasp? I will now have nightmares of that image.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 09:14 AM
what happened to the helicopter?

i like your dad.

Well I think it was a couple of guys who were in on the thing...the pilot took the copter up (which I guess is probably illegal to do without authorization or whatever), then the other guy (the drunk - though I'm sure they were all drunk) skydived back down and landed in the fire. That's the version I've heard at least.

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 10:05 AM
a tarantula wasp? I will now have nightmares of that image.

http://www.bugman123.com/Bugs/TarantulaHawk-large.jpg

There you go, Dear. :)

marooko
06-27-2008, 10:09 AM
thanks for that. now im scared.

Blinken
06-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Holy shit i am never sleeping again.

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
That thing is pretty massive. That also looks like a stinger on it's tail. That thing is HUGE!

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.thefunnypage.com/camel-spiders/spider.jpg

Man, with the wasp and this thing, we should be really careful ticking off the Insecta world.

Bud Luster
06-27-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm a good 70 miles from any of these fires and the sky is fucking filled with smoke. Will be good to get to socal for the yummy fresh air of LA.

locachica73
06-27-2008, 11:37 AM

OK EW!!! That thing could carry off small kittens. Remind me never to go anywhere those things are. I hate bugs.

locachica73
06-27-2008, 11:39 AM
http://www.thefunnypage.com/camel-spiders/spider.jpg

Man, with the wasp and this thing, we should be really careful ticking off the Insecta world.

i am going to sleep with the lights on now. I think there should be a cage match between this and the tarantula wasp. Fight to the death. I will wager on the flying one though.

Kali27
06-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm a good 70 miles from any of these fires and the sky is fucking filled with smoke. Will be good to get to socal for the yummy fresh air of LA.

Things must be bad if LA is a breath of fresh air for you... but the fires down here in SD sucked and I hope all of you are a safe distance and no one gets hurt from smoke inhalation.

marooko
06-27-2008, 12:15 PM
i need to start heeding the warning. i dont feel very well. i just like the outdoors dammit.

SFChrissy
06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah it's smokey up here too....but the worst part of the fire season for me? Is having to listen to my dad spew out story after story (all of which I've heard 100x before already) of how he fought forest fires for 11 seasons back in the 70's.That's probably a highlight of your dad's life and you hate hearing 'bout it...I hope my kids don't feel the same when I'm 70 and talking 'bout all the years I went to coachella!!!

SFChrissy
06-27-2008, 12:28 PM

Of course since it hasn't hardly rained here in LA I'm expecting another exciting fire season. Funny, the only seasons we get around here are summer and fire.Shut up...It's much more lush here and we have historical Redwoods...we don't need to pick up slack we pull our own weight!!!

menikmati
06-27-2008, 12:28 PM
It's not the highlight though...he mostly says he hated those days back then.

SFChrissy
06-27-2008, 12:29 PM
It's not the highlight though...he mostly says he hated those days back then.ok...one of those stories...

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 01:03 PM
OK EW!!! That thing could carry off small kittens. Remind me never to go anywhere those things are. I hate bugs.

Didn't this come up because someone was fighting fires in Arizona? I think you're already where those things are. :)

menikmati
06-27-2008, 01:03 PM
They won't hurt you. They're after them tarantulas.

locachica73
06-27-2008, 01:05 PM
well thank goodness I have never seen one because I would have to move. It is bad enough I had to rush my son to the ER because he got stung by a scorpian in my kitchen. That almost had me packing up the uhaul as it was. And have you ever seen a giant flying sewer roach? Out by the canals those things will dive bomb you in a heart beat.

Hannahrain
06-27-2008, 01:08 PM

Wait, this is awesome.

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 01:08 PM
well thank goodness I have never seen one because I would have to move. It is bad enough I had to rush my son to the ER because he got stung by a scorpian in my kitchen. That almost had me packing up the uhaul as it was. And have you ever seen a giant flying sewer roach? Out by the canals those things will dive bomb you in a heart beat.

I live in Southern California... Orange County to be exact. All we have are Black Widows, and those things stay hidden. Have fun with your scorpions and flying tarantula things, tho. Sounds like an adventure. :)

locachica73
06-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I live in Southern California... Orange County to be exact. All we have are Black Widows, and those things stay hidden. Have fun with your scorpions and flying tarantula things, tho. Sounds like an adventure. :)

We also have the brown recluse spiders I hear, but luckily I haven't seen one of those either. I kinda miss Oregon in that respect, all we had over there were mosquitos and fleas.

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 01:15 PM
We also have the brown recluse spiders I hear, but luckily I haven't seen one of those either. I kinda miss Oregon in that respect, all we had over there were mosquitos and fleas.

You won't see the Brown Recluse. Hence, the recluse. From what I understand, they like to hide in shoes. I am going to make you lose your mind, aren't I? I really should stop.

menikmati
06-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Check your beds before you goto sleep.

locachica73
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
You won't see the Brown Recluse. Hence, the recluse. From what I understand, they like to hide in shoes. I am going to make you lose your mind, aren't I? I really should stop.

sheesh, i am going to call the exterminator now to go spray my house just in case. I do remember some stupid email coming out about the brown recluse hiding under your toilet seat and biting you on the ass. I started lifting the seat and checking for weeks after. Now I am going to be shaking my shoes every morning.

locachica73
06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Check your beds before you goto sleep.

ok you all are just MEAN!!! :)

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 01:23 PM

Don't forget to check for Violin Spiders too. They're pretty poisonous as well. I think their venom is stronger than both the brown recluse and black widow. :)

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 01:24 PM

Here's a little more information, courtesy of wikipedia.

Habitat

Recluse spiders build irregular webs that frequently include a shelter consisting of disorderly threads. These spiders frequently build their webs in woodpiles and sheds, closets, garages, cellars and other places that are dry and generally undisturbed. They seem to favor cardboard when dwelling in human residences, possibly because it mimics the rotting tree bark which they naturally inhabit. They also go in shoes, inside dressers, in bed sheets of infrequently used beds, in stacks of clothes, behind baseboards, behind pictures and near furnaces. The common source of human-recluse contact is during the cleaning of these spaces, when their isolated spaces suddenly are disturbed and the spider feels threatened. Unlike most web weavers, they leave these webs at night to hunt. Males will move around more when hunting while females don't usually stray far from their web.

Sleep tight. :)

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Don't forget to check for Violin Spiders too. They're pretty poisonous as well. I think their venom is stronger than both the brown recluse and black widow. :)

Dur.

The spider, Loxosceles reclusa, is a well-known member of the Sicariidae (formerly placed in a family "Loxoscelidae"). It is usually between 620 mm ( in and in). dorsal side of its cephalothorax, with a black line coming from it that looks like a violin with the neck of the violin pointing to the rear of the spider, resulting in the nicknames fiddleback spider, brown fiddler or violin spider. Coloring varies from light tan to brown and the violin marking may not be visible.

locachica73
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
my bed gets used frequently so i am safe... for sleeping that is. ;)

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Dur.

I didn't read your post man. Mr. Wikipedia.

Newro7ic
06-27-2008, 01:30 PM

What if it's living behind the headboard of your bed, and crawls out at night to feed while you are sleeping? It could be crawling on you and you wouldn't even know it....

Jesus... I'm mean when I'm bored.

How did this thread get so off track?

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Some species of spiders are vibration sensitive, so you might want to use the battery-less self love...just in case :)

locachica73
06-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Some species of spiders are vibration sensitive, so you might want to use the battery-less self love...just in case :)

i will keep that in mind ;)

so how did we go from fires to spiders to self love, that has got to be the biggest leap in conversation I have ever experienced.

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Because even spiders, when their domains are on fire, need self love?

locachica73
06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I like the way you think!!! and with eight legs/hands... hey can self love while running from the fire.

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Speaking of eight legs, did anyone see that Nat. Geographic with the Indian child that had four arms and four legs? Trippyyyyy...

BROKENDOLL
06-27-2008, 01:43 PM
No Bed Bugs for me last nite, kids! I fell asleep with my vibrator! :( Might I ask for more imfo on the battery-less model? :)-

locachica73
06-27-2008, 01:47 PM
No Bed Bugs for me last nite, kids! I fell asleep with my vibrator! :( Might I ask for more imfo on the battery-less model? :)-

its called manual manipulation. :)

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
my name is manual and i'm here to manipulate, loca :)

marooko
06-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Speaking of eight legs, did anyone see that Nat. Geographic with the Indian child that had four arms and four legs? Trippyyyyy...

missed it, but wanted to watch it. what was the deal with people worshiping her? now thats weird.

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 01:54 PM
missed it, but wanted to watch it. what was the deal with people worshiping her? now thats weird.

Because of the whole Vishna thing...meaning that she resembled one of their Hundu gods and alot of the elders and family members were against (at first) the removal of some of the limbs, but somehow a well-respected elder type saw that it was stupid to think that way and pushed for the surgery.

marooko
06-27-2008, 01:57 PM
yeah, i got the first part, but i was looking at it from the elders perspective.

locachica73
06-27-2008, 01:58 PM
my name is manual and i'm here to manipulate, loca :)

ok my ribs now hurt from laughing at that one. Very cute.

marooko
06-27-2008, 02:00 PM
hahaha

Hopeless Semantic
06-27-2008, 02:01 PM
They saw it as a sign that it meant something grand was supposed to happen in this girl's lifetime. There was some who wanted her to be kept in like a sacred place, but it was rejected. Weird show though, poor girl looked really troubled by both the predictament and the notoriety.

jackstraw94086
06-27-2008, 03:07 PM
here's the most recent fire map my friend sent.
big sur's at the bottom

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x49/tdietz20/20080627_norcal_firemap.jpg

Young blood
06-27-2008, 03:12 PM
I can see your house.

Young blood
07-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey yall could you get your shit under control the smoke has reached colorado it was orange outside this am from the haze.