PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Youth discussion

psychoc&ndy
06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
ok, so I have goo, dirty, daydream nation, washing machine, and just bought the corporate ghost dvd and murray street. this stuff alone is proof enough to make them one of my favorite bands. so i just want some suggestions as to what other albums i need to check out. k thanks

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Sonic Nurse

All of the SYR records, they are a great insight into the band's influences and processes.

xxxxxxxxxx
06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
You need to pick up Sister. Schizophrenia and Catholic block are two of my favorite Sonic Youth songs. It's a masterpiece not unlike Daydream Nation, maybe a little more raw.

psychoc&ndy
06-24-2008, 08:11 PM
thanks!

corbo
06-24-2008, 08:12 PM
'sister' is one of my favs. second after daydream nation actually.
i also like 'Experimental Jet Set'

psychoc&ndy
06-24-2008, 08:12 PM
i'm watching the corporate ghost dvd right now. jason lee, guy mariano, kim deal, mccauley culkin? so crazy. definately the best 7 dollars ive ever spent

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 08:14 PM
i'm watching the corporate ghost dvd right now. jason lee, guy mariano, kim deal, mccauley culkin? so crazy. definately the best 7 dollars ive ever spent

mofukin harmonyyy korine too.

fatbastard
06-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Sonic Nurse

All of the SYR records, they are a great insight into the band's influences and processes.

Love Sonic Nurse

Tylerdurden31
06-24-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm seeing Sonic Youth for free on July 4th. yay

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Holy shit SYR 8 is a 60 minute live set that Jim O'Rourke, Mats Gustafsson, and Masami Akita (Merzbow) did at Roskilde in 2005. I am fucking pumped.

Comes out next month.

Sonicifyouwantit
06-24-2008, 08:59 PM
sonic whaaaa?

bmack86
06-24-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm seeing Sonic Youth for free on July 4th. yay

Aren't the Feelies opening for them at that? I think it's their first show in like 15 years. You lucky bastard.

ok, so I have goo, dirty, daydream nation, washing machine, and just bought the corporate ghost dvd and murray street. this stuff alone is proof enough to make them one of my favorite bands. so i just want some suggestions as to what other albums i need to check out. k thanks

If you like those ones, you'll definitely like Evol and Sister. Both amazing albums that were the precursors to Daydream. Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped are both very good, following in the vein of Murray Street.

bmack86
06-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Here's my review of the Sonic Youth Albums from the Youngun's Guide thread that is so fantastic. This was quite a while ago, so my opinions have changed on some of these, but here is my original post.

Confusion is Sex-Noisy, abrasive and raw. This was them developing their sound. Very much indebted to punk and No Wave. However, it's also a helluva lot of fun to listen to if you like noisy shit. Grade:C+

Bad Moon Rising-They don't make as much of a racket, and the songs start to get stronger. It's a bit long for me, and not all of the songs hit the way they should, but Death Valley 69 is worth the price of admission. The CD comes with the Flower EP, which is trippy. Grade:B

Evol-One of my favorite albums of all time. They started doing the ethereal/noise mixture in earnest on here, and they really locked their songwriting skills in on this album. It's still got random bursts of distortion, but they're tempered by a pop ear that makes this a joy to listen to. Grade:A

Sister-A development on Evol. This has always sounded darker to me, and more nuanced. These songs have less noise outbursts, and are more focused on their songwriting on this one. As such, it sounds like an awesome continuation of a great style. Grade:A

Daydream Nation-The perfection of the sound they'd been working on. Indie rock at its finest, there are great guitar tones, drones and rocking passages in equal numbers. There's a reason that this is so revered. It's absolutely brilliant, and without equal. Grade:A++

Goo-People screamed sellout, but today it just sounds like a damn good album. They cut down their songs, streamlining them and making them more "mainstream". It's fuckin great. Grade:A

Dirty-Their Alt. Rock album. It pissed people off so bad, but in retrospect it's just them at their most focused. 100% is a kickass track, and there's very few pieces on here that aren't at least pleasant to listen to. It's amazing that this was considered mainstream by their fans. Grade:A-

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star-Mediocre. After one of the best streaks of albums in recorded history, they sound like they're out of ideas. The songs mostly fall flat, and none of them reach the brilliance of the past albums. Grade: D

Washing Machine-A step up, but for the most part it still lacks a creative streak that they had kept up so constantly. The songs are calmer, and they have some really cool tones on it. However, they released better ones. Grade:C+

A Thousand Leaves-Like Washing Machine, but better. It continues the calmer tone, but the songwriting is better. Hits of Sunshine is sheer brilliance, and it's the clear direction that they would head in later. It's a good listen. Grade:B

NYC Ghosts and Flowers-Most of this is pretentious wankery. They try to sound too artistic, and fall flat. Grade: D

Murray Street-Their last few albums had shown moments of brilliance, but this was the first one since Goo that consistently, song after song, got it completely right. It showcases their later style, which is much more calm, with really fluid guitar tracks, and singing rather than screaming. If you like music, you'll like this. Grade:A

Sonic Nurse-Murray Street part two, in the best way possible. A continuation of the sound with equally good songwriting. They're older than my parents, and they rock harder than they ever could on this album. Stones sounds great live. Grade:A

Rather Ripped-Their most streamlined album since Dirty. They write more straight rock songs, and come up with a third straight gold gem. These songs are, once again, uniformly excellent, and they rock harder than the past two albums. Anyone else excited to see where they go next? Grade:A

(I left off the SYR series and Made in USA because I don't know them that well)

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
"Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star-Mediocre" deserves another shot...

And the pretentious wankery on NYC Ghosts and Flowers actually has a pretty strong grounding in contemporary classical music (which, with Glen Branca as a counterpoint, makes up a HUGE part of SY's influence). If you don't dig it, most of the SYR series won't be for you as well. It follows in that vein frequently.

I love Sonic Youth.

bmack86
06-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Still don't like Experimental, but i do like NYC now

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Still don't like Experimental, but i do like NYC now

You should give the SYR's some more attention when you get a chance. SYR 7 is one of my favorites.

roberto73
06-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Thurston Moore's solo albums can be worth a listen, too. My favorites are Psychic Hearts and Trees Outside the Academy.

bmack86
06-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I have thru 7 , so i will

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Thurston Moore's solo albums can be worth a listen, too. My favorites are Psychic Hearts and Trees Outside the Academy.

For sure. A lot of his more experimental stuff is also really great, although I wouldn't rush out and buy it without checking it out first. I love "Flipped Out Bride."

O'Rourke's solo stuff is a little more hit and miss, but he has some wicked records. Particularly "Eureka" and "Insignificance."