PDA

View Full Version : NEW MUSIC TUESDAY (6-24-08)

C DUB YA
06-24-2008, 08:19 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j32/carywhitt/newrecords_6_24.jpg

Sigur Ros - for sure. Anyone preorder the deluxe edition of that?

Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust
Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville (Deluxe Edition)
Billy Idol - The Very Best Of (remastered new hits package, shep fairey art)
Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair
G-Love - Superhero Brother
Less Than Jake - GNV FLA
Edwin McCain - Nobody's Fault But Mine
The Watsun Twins - Fire Songs
Wombats - A Guide to Love, Loss, and Desperation
Alphabeat - This is Alphabeat (import)
Weezer - Red Album (vinyl)
RZA - Digi Snacks
Paul Van Dyk - Cream Ibiza (import)
Be Your Own Pet - Get Damaged (EP)
Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - Angles (import vinyl)
Hadouken - Music for an Accelerated Culture (import)

Tylerdurden31
06-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Boris w/ Merzbow - Rock Dream (vinyl)

I saw it at Soundfix in brooklyn on friday and bought it cuz it looked awesome. I didn't know it wasn't coming out til today (technically)

Newro7ic
06-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Edwin McCain is still around? Talk about a blast from my High School past...

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 08:24 AM
nothing strikes my famcy other than that BYOP EP

allyjoy
06-24-2008, 08:47 AM
c'mon S, DLS v SP will be worthwhile :)

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 08:49 AM
i've ever heard them :/

BlackSwan
06-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Sigur Ros - Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust

i'm going to give them another chance, but it better not put me to sleep.

Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair

holy shit, this is just "officially" being released?

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 10:33 AM
i'm going to give them another chance, but it better not put me to sleep.

fat chance

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Boris w/ Merzbow - Rock Dream (vinyl)

I saw it at Soundfix in brooklyn on friday and bought it cuz it looked awesome. I didn't know it wasn't coming out til today (technically)

well... I picked it up on vinyl 3 weeks ago, so I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

Tylerdurden31
06-24-2008, 10:50 AM
well... I picked it up on vinyl 3 weeks ago, so I'm not really sure what you are talking about.

jerk...i think the official release date is today

BAM - http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Dream-Boris/dp/B0013FSZIA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214329797&sr=8-2

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 10:52 AM
i like soundfix. good store.

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 10:56 AM
jerk...i think the official release date is today

BAM - http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Dream-Boris/dp/B0013FSZIA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214329797&sr=8-2

interesting. Southern Lords pushed back the release date a couple times, so maybe they let a bunch trickle out early even though they hadn't all been produced yet.

Tylerdurden31
06-24-2008, 10:57 AM
interesting. Southern Lords pushed back the release date a couple times, so maybe they let a bunch trickle out early even though they hadn't all been produced yet.

what's your cover look like? I feel like I keep seeing different colors all over the intarwebs

i like soundfix. good store.

I enjoyed it...except that most people there were there for the show that was about to start. And it was like the epicenter of hipster douchebags. The people actually looking for music didn't fit the bill.

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Ive gotten some really great old vinyl there.
Every time I have gone, it has been pretty dead.
I haven't gone in there for any of the free shows.
You should also go down to the Turkeys Nest down the block and get yourself a margarita to go or go down the other way to the first bar on the left and get this beer that is made with smoked hops and barley. It tastes like barbeque. Its amazing.

C DUB YA
06-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Target has the Sigur Ros for $7.99

(and a sticker over the naked butts) - take that Wal-mart

Somewhat Damaged
06-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Oh, shit! Thanks, C DUB YA, you just saved me a couple bucks. (Was gonna go to Best Buy instead.) Perfect, now I can get my grocery shopping done at the same time.

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 11:06 AM
what's your cover look like? I feel like I keep seeing different colors all over the intarwebs

Like the Amazon one but BLUE.

Tylerdurden31
06-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Like the Amazon one but BLUE.

yeah...that's mine too. I guess the cover art changed.

C DUB YA
06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh, shit! Thanks, C DUB YA, you just saved me a couple bucks. (Was gonna go to Best Buy instead.) Perfect, now I can get my grocery shopping done at the same time.

I did the same at lunch - got some groceries and some tunes, and a batting glove(?) as far as the cd, it's on the new release endcap.

discoinfiltrator
06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
buy Hercules & Love Affair if you haven't already. sooooo good.

woogie846
06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Definitely Sigur Ros.

FINALLY! Dan le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip is out!

BlueDevil50
06-24-2008, 12:05 PM
best buy doesn't have hercules! noooooooo

Kid_E
06-24-2008, 12:07 PM
i'm probobly going to get shit for this, but if you like ska, pick up or download Less Than Jake's newest. It is awesome.

BlackSwan
06-24-2008, 12:45 PM
fat chance

you're right, my eyelids get heavy on track 3... and the second half on the album is a complete snoozefest.

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
i tried to get into them, but im just not cool enough like the rest of the board

BlackSwan
06-24-2008, 12:49 PM
i tried to get into them, but im just not cool enough like the rest of the board

some of it is really good... but the rest is just boring.

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
i might "pick it up" at work

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
i'm too busy listening to madonna and coldplay and my morning jacket right now haha

corbo
06-24-2008, 01:22 PM
grrrR i wasted my lunchtime to go buy the new Sigur Ros
Best Buy had it but not shelved. it was still in the boxes in the back.
so i go to a music store FYE. the computer showed that they had 12 copies.
they couldnt FIND ANY!
what a complete waste of time! im so mad i might just illegally download it and not buy it at all >_<

woogie846
06-24-2008, 01:26 PM

Really? I don't like going to Target for CDs, but if this is the case, I might just have to take up that bargain.

PassiveTheory
06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Gonna download the Wombats record, I already have both HALA and DlSvsSP (get both, for the love of ________) so yeah... good week, shame I already have most of it.

MarkO
06-24-2008, 01:39 PM

Got it. Good stuff and for $8, it really negates the "omg, cds are soooo expensive and thats why I d/l albums" excuse that is championed around here.

drugks Gillespie
06-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Digi Snacks is fucking great. The most significant hip-hop record since Aesop's None Shall Pass. The RZA delivers classic Wu-Tang slang over crystalized beats like only he can deliver. I recommend smoking a fat one before you let RZA take you on lyrical journey through the eyes of Bobby Digital. On a side note I highly anticipate RZA to pop up on the festival circuit next year after seeing his show perfected with a live backing band. Wu-Tang Forever!

C DUB YA
06-24-2008, 02:07 PM
grrrR i wasted my lunchtime to go buy the new Sigur Ros
Best Buy had it but not shelved. it was still in the boxes in the back.
so i go to a music store FYE. the computer showed that they had 12 copies.
they couldnt FIND ANY!
what a complete waste of time! im so mad i might just illegally download it and not buy it at all >_<

that happens a lot - just ask one of the brainless employees to go in the back and get it for you - they will. (if it shows up in their system)

bballarl
06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
I need to go buy the new Sigur Ros. I will do that when I get off work.

woogie846
06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I just picked up the new Sigur Ros, My Morning Jacket, and Wolf Parade.

JSam67
06-24-2008, 08:37 PM

There's nothing hard to get about Sigur Ros, they're amazing. Way to miss them at Bonnaroo. I love the album, but it's still not as good as Evil Urges. What is as good as Evil Urges, though? Third, and not much else.

BlueDevil50
06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
where have you guys been able to pick up the hercules and love affair?

Sushov23
06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
best buy, circuit city has hercules and love affair. I almost bought it, but then I bought something else.

suprefan
06-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I did the same at lunch - got some groceries and some tunes, and a batting glove(?) as far as the cd, it's on the new release endcap.

So you in a softball summer league?

Sigur Ros of course.

bmack86
06-24-2008, 10:06 PM
that happens a lot - just ask one of the brainless employees to go in the back and get it for you - they will. (if it shows up in their system)

Just because it shows up in their system doesn't mean its easily accessible. At a large store like that, they receive about 10-15 pallets of new deliveries every tuesday, and if something goes wrong with the delivery or with the stocking so that the products don't wind up on the floor, then it's extremely difficult for the sales representatives (who don't stock goods, and don't have access to stocking codes for deliviries) to find the products. It can still show up in the system if the pallet has been scanned in as having been delivered, but any number of things could have gone wrong between that and the actual shelving.

So, don't be a dick if they can't find something in the back room. You try it.

Sushov23
06-24-2008, 10:23 PM
CD's are different, they arrive on their own pallet, I know. I used to work at a few retail stores.

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
So go to fucking independent stores you wankers.

garrett222
06-24-2008, 10:32 PM
the new sigur ros cd is available for download directly on their site www.sigurros.com for 8$ at 320kb quality. I can't even rip a cd onto itunes at that quality. best bet.

shakermaker113
06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
the new sigur ros cd is available for download directly on their site www.sigurros.com for 8$ at 320kb quality. I can't even rip a cd onto itunes at that quality. best bet.

REALLY? wtf. itunes sucks more than I thought.

wmgaretjax
06-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I can't even rip a cd onto itunes at that quality.

You could always try a little harder. There is the "Custom" setting that lets you pick 320...

full on idle
06-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Digi Snacks is fucking great. The most significant hip-hop record since Aesop's None Shall Pass. The RZA delivers classic Wu-Tang slang over crystalized beats like only he can deliver. I recommend smoking a fat one before you let RZA take you on lyrical journey through the eyes of Bobby Digital. On a side note I highly anticipate RZA to pop up on the festival circuit next year after seeing his show perfected with a live backing band. Wu-Tang Forever!

I'm curious.

I don't think None Shall Pass was the most significant [hip hop] album of 2007, though I think it's a good album.

anti-square
06-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Rza as Bobby Digital in stereo is a classic. Digital Bullets was good. Didn't care much for the one after that, but I will at least give this one a listen and hope for the best.

Mr. Dylanja
06-25-2008, 12:31 AM
You could always try a little harder. There is the "Custom" setting that lets you pick 320...

LOL!

I'm getting Sigur Ros and Digi Snacks 2moro...

Mr. Dylanja
06-25-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm curious.

I don't think None Shall Pass was the most significant [hip hop] album of 2007, though I think it's a good album.

Please expound, what is your choice?

Sushov23
06-25-2008, 01:10 AM
the best hip hop album of 07 belongs to Jay-Z.

PassiveTheory
06-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Nope. Best album of 07 was The Cool, bar none.

Sushov23
06-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Nope. Best album of 07 was The Cool, bar none.

the cool was boring, liquor was better. OH and American Gangster>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The cool.

thewindowliquor
06-25-2008, 01:43 AM
The best rap album of 2007 is Octagonacologyst, by Dr. Octagon. I don't care what year it came out. It is the best rap album of every year.

Sushov23
06-25-2008, 01:44 AM
The best rap album of 2007 is Octagonacologyst, by Dr. Octagon. I don't care what year it came out. It is the best rap album of every year.

yeah, ummm sure.

sbessiso
06-25-2008, 02:55 AM
There's nothing hard to get about Sigur Ros, they're amazing. Way to miss them at Bonnaroo. I love the album, but it's still not as good as Evil Urges. What is as good as Evil Urges, though? Third, and not much else.

i did see them at Bonnaroo ya jackass, I just didnt stay for all 6 hours, or however long they were playing

Backwater
06-25-2008, 03:10 AM
the best hip hop album of 07 belongs to Jay-Z.

American Gangster was great but UGK was better.

full on idle
06-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Please expound, what is your choice?

I liked I'll Sleep When You're Dead best. Plus I think retrospectively the UGK will be widely considered the most significant for obvious reasons.

garrett222
06-25-2008, 12:06 PM

in the preferences, importing? On mine it limits me to 192. where are you looking?

C DUB YA
06-25-2008, 12:37 PM
So you in a softball summer league?

Sigur Ros of course.

yep - with my company.

C DUB YA
06-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Just because it shows up in their system doesn't mean its easily accessible. At a large store like that, they receive about 10-15 pallets of new deliveries every tuesday, and if something goes wrong with the delivery or with the stocking so that the products don't wind up on the floor, then it's extremely difficult for the sales representatives (who don't stock goods, and don't have access to stocking codes for deliviries) to find the products. It can still show up in the system if the pallet has been scanned in as having been delivered, but any number of things could have gone wrong between that and the actual shelving.

So, don't be a dick if they can't find something in the back room. You try it.

Um, if it's the release day and they have it - they should have it out on the floor. Its not like they're busy or anything in the music department.

Who said anything about being a dick?

I just know when I worked at record stores we'd stay late on Monday to have everything out on release day - thats the way it SHOULD work, but big boxes don't give a shit about cd sales.

bmack86
06-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Calling someone brainless is being a dick.

wmgaretjax
06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
in the preferences, importing? On mine it limits me to 192. where are you looking?

Bartimaeus, Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing -> Setting -> Custom -> 320KBps

ghettojournalist
06-26-2008, 10:41 AM
top 5 hip-hop albums of 07:

5. Lupe Fiasco "The Cool"
4. Lil Wayne "Da Drought 3"
3. Common "Finding Forever"
2. Jay-Z "American Gangster"
1. Kanye West "Graduation"

C DUB YA
06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Calling someone brainless is being a dick.

Not when it applies, and not that it matters cuz I didn't say directly to them.

But I remember a time when music employees knew what you were talking about or asking for. Outside and indie store, this is now not the case. It might be different if half the time they put a fucking smile on their face and gave some effort, but that rarely happens anymore, again, my experiences.

So you are defending American big box retail customer service? Wow, Work in retail do you?

My experiences at Best Buy have been far from stellar. I don't shop there that often, but enough to know that I will prolly have a hard time tracking down the simplest of requests. Even shit they should have and do have. So if they are blank faced about what's coming out any given Tuesday, don't have the stock out (last time it was just sitting on a dolly in the aisle while the employees played a videogame), and they work in the music section and don't know shit about their job, then they are brainless in my book.

That's not being a dick, that's expecting customer service to the least passable degree. Like I said - I usually vote with my wallet and this is the main reason why. I also know when I worked retail it was a different story, I made it a point to be that way.

ghettojournalist
06-26-2008, 11:01 AM
i guess that's the rub. i've never expected anyone in a big box store to know specifically what i'm looking for. i already know that i have to know everything myself before entering the store i.e. likely genre placement, availability, pricing. it's because of this that i don't find stores like BB, CC or Target to be an offensive place for media purchase. they are just big storage housing for my future cd collection.

full on idle
06-26-2008, 11:08 AM
top 5 hip-hop albums of 07:

5. Aesop Rock "None Shall Pass"
4. Common "Finding Forever"
3. Lil Wayne "Da Drought 3"
2. Jay-Z "American Gangster"
1. Kanye West "Graduation"

hmmm.

bmack86
06-26-2008, 11:08 AM

I'm not even responding to the rest of this because it's just annoying. However, that line of logic makes perfect sense right there. By your argument, if I mutter racial epithets that are connected to a certain race, as long as I don't say them directly to the people they are directed towards, then it's not being a dick or a racist?

Dick.

bmack86
06-26-2008, 11:10 AM
i guess that's the rub. i've never expected anyone in a big box store to know specifically what i'm looking for. i already know that i have to know everything myself before entering the store i.e. likely genre placement, availability, pricing. it's because of this that i don't find stores like BB, CC or Target to be an offensive place for media purchase. they are just big storage housing for my future cd collection.

And, exactly. I'm not defending them, because I don't really use them, but this is what I expect when I go to one of those places. You know the people aren't really trained to do their jobs, and that they don't really care about what they're doing. You get what you pay for. If you pay 7 Dollars for a CD, either you got it used at some awesome record store or you bought it from a large retailer that doesn't really care one way or the other.

ghettojournalist
06-26-2008, 11:17 AM
I'm not even responding to the rest of this because it's just annoying. However, that line of logic makes perfect sense right there. By your argument, if I mutter racial epithets that are connected to a certain race, as long as I don't say them directly to the people they are directed towards, then it's not being a dick or a racist?

it's actually totally acceptable to say racial epithets and not be considered a racist when use of the words aren't directed at anyone or anything, but used in context of discussing the words. example: the racial slur bit in Clerks II.

corbo
06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
im not going to FYE music store again.
for them not to know who sigur ros is and
for them not to have the album on the racks on the release day
is inexcusable! its a f'in music store for gods sake!
best buy..ok im fine if it wasnt shelved earlier in the day.

C DUB YA
06-26-2008, 01:22 PM

Dick.

I still don't get how I'm a dick by calling someone (stranger) brainless in another conversation?

Brainless is hardly "dick" worthy.

But you are being a fuck about it, when you didn't have to, so away with you now.

wmgaretjax
06-26-2008, 01:30 PM
I still don't get how I'm a dick by calling someone (stranger) brainless in another conversation?

Previous knowledge of someone being a dick in general tends to tip the scales when behavior that treads a "dick worthy" line occurs.

BlackSwan
06-26-2008, 01:34 PM
honestly, it is pretty fucked to call someone brainless just because they have a job at a retail store.

C DUB YA
06-26-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm not calling someone brainless just because they have a retail job.

I've had numerous retail jobs. That has nothing to do with it. They could be doctor for all I care - if they don't know how to do their job - they are brainless. So it's not the fact he or she has a retail job, but how they do their job or how much one might apply themselves, or care in this case, does.

If the word brainless is too taboo for some of you, then I can easily go to something else. Quit being so sensitive. Brainless here was describing someone who: did not know, did not care, and repeatedly did not give an effort. In the customer service arena - that adds up in a very negative way.

Sushov23
06-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Pharoahe Monch-Desire is easly top 5 hip hop records of 2007.

C DUB YA
06-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Previous knowledge of someone being a dick in general tends to tip the scales when behavior that treads a "dick worthy" line occurs.

examples? and quoting yourself doesn't count.

wmgaretjax
06-26-2008, 01:48 PM
examples? and quoting yourself doesn't count.

Examples of what? I'm confused... Did you think i was implying something? No sir, I apologize. You got the wrong impression.

C DUB YA
06-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Examples of what? I'm confused... Did you think i was implying something? No sir, I apologize. You got the wrong impression.

I was just joking - no worries.

wmgaretjax
06-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I was just joking - no worries.

That's exactly what I was, worried... Thank god you relieved me of that anxiety.

schoolofruckus
06-26-2008, 04:00 PM

But I remember a time when music employees knew what you were talking about or asking for. Outside and indie store, this is now not the case. It might be different if half the time they put a fucking smile on their face and gave some effort, but that rarely happens anymore, again, my experiences.

So you are defending American big box retail customer service? Wow, Work in retail do you?

My experiences at Best Buy have been far from stellar. I don't shop there that often, but enough to know that I will prolly have a hard time tracking down the simplest of requests. Even shit they should have and do have. So if they are blank faced about what's coming out any given Tuesday, don't have the stock out (last time it was just sitting on a dolly in the aisle while the employees played a videogame), and they work in the music section and don't know shit about their job, then they are brainless in my book.

That's not being a dick, that's expecting customer service to the least passable degree. Like I said - I usually vote with my wallet and this is the main reason why. I also know when I worked retail it was a different story, I made it a point to be that way.

Maybe if you went into the record store and said "IT'S NEW MUSIC TUESDAY, AND THIS IS WHAT I'M GETTIN'!!!!!", they would realize how important it is to have your music ready for purchase.

JustSteve
06-26-2008, 04:11 PM
god, i miss tower and the midnight releases, those were some fun times!

C DUB YA
06-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Maybe if you went into the record store and said "IT'S NEW MUSIC TUESDAY, AND THIS IS WHAT I'M GETTIN'!!!!!", they would realize how important it is to have your music ready for purchase.

Don't be a Richard

C DUB YA
06-26-2008, 11:39 PM
god, i miss tower and the midnight releases, those were some fun times!

I do too.

Somewhat Damaged
06-27-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm surprised C DUB YA is the one getting shat on for not appreciating the lackluster service provided by some employees at retail stores. Sure, it's almost to be expected and all, but isn't that more of a sad commentary on how low our standards have fallen? A lot of people these days don't take any pride in what they do and just put forth the minimal effort required, which sometimes consists of merely showing up for work, and then they come in and expect a raise simply because they've been employed for more than a few months.
I worked for two and a half years at a video store and more than half of the people working there thought so little of their responsibility that they couldn't be bothered to make sure they shelved movies in the right section or that the correct DVD was in a case that had been returned or checked out, etc. Yeah, they were starting off at $6.75/hour, what do you expect? Same thing at places like Best Buy or Circuit City -- they get paid jack shit, how could you possibly demand that they not roll their eyes at you when you interrupt their non-work-related conversation with a co-worker to inquire whether they had any copies of a CD that was released that day and that you had spent the previous 10 minutes looking for in all of the likely sections in which it should be found? The nerve to slur someone like that as being "brainless."

shakermaker113
06-27-2008, 09:51 AM

lol... I often think that I would really like having a really small independent record store nearby where I could always ask in advance to make sure they're going to have what I want in stock each tuesday... and would be open late tuesday evenings so I can stop by after work... that'd be so convenient.

instead I rush to get to rasputin before it closes, usually fail, then run around virgin trying to figure out where they put the cds I want, if they happen to have it. ugh.

I don't understand why people would go to best buy to get cds though. is there really no better option nearby?

schoolofruckus
06-27-2008, 09:52 AM
If you choose to shop at a chain mega-store, you know the experience you're in for. The minimum-wage employees don't care about the job anymore than the guys up in corporate care about how good the music is that's being sold. That's the trade-off you're making for paying $7.99 for a brand-new album. If you want someone who will have your interest as a music fan in mind, pay a few bucks more and go to a store where that culture prevails.

But that's not even the issue. The point is that C DUB YA - a guy who has a long history of being generally obnoxious - smarmily remarks that people who work those jobs are "brainless". Sure, some of them are. But it's ridiculous and petty to blanket them all with that.

Young blood
06-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I bet on his blog he went off about it.

bballarl
06-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Hey Gabe, you are brainless.

bmack86
06-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I always like it when we can get funny and intelligent conversation on the board for more than 2 posts.

bleep
06-27-2008, 10:34 AM
he should have stuck to using his favorite word "dumb" instead

C DUB YA
06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
I bet on his blog he went off about it.

I'm still waiting (months and months) for this blog of mine you keep citing.