PDA

View Full Version : The Verve - New single/album

stuporfly
06-24-2008, 06:03 AM
The Verve premiered their new single on the Zane Lowe show yesterday. "Love is Noise" was the band's final song at Coachella, and a rip of the song is floating around pretty much everywhere. The song is also up on the band's official MySpace profile.

The new album - Four, according to Billboard - comes out on August 18 worldwide, with a US release the following day. "Love is Noise" is more of a dance number than the few other new tunes they've aired while on tour.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F6P8Zxn5VpY&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F6P8Zxn5VpY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"Love is Noise"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tl1EDhF6ovw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tl1EDhF6ovw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"Sit and Wonder"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7JdjKTEtun8&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7JdjKTEtun8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"Rather Be"

allyjoy
06-24-2008, 06:57 AM
:pulse

shakermaker113
06-24-2008, 08:30 AM
that song kicked ass at coachella.

Cdubby
06-24-2008, 08:36 AM
love is noise was bad ass live, and im looking forward to purchasing the album. it does kind of sound like monkeys having sex though, lol.

stuporfly
06-30-2008, 07:06 AM
The band's official website (http://www.theverve.co.uk/) has a free download of the first ever studio recording of "Mover" - a track the band aired live a few times in the mid-90's.

It's a stormer, building on those well-worn bootlegs in my collection featuring the tune. Nick's guitar in particular is astonishing.

Sonicifyouwantit
06-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I was really glad I saw their full set at coachella. that was a good closer to the show. Heard the song on...indie 103 or KCRW...cant remember but yeah it took me back to the moment.

bballarl
06-30-2008, 02:13 PM
"Mover" slays pretty good.

shakermaker113
06-30-2008, 02:42 PM
The band's official website (http://www.theverve.co.uk/) has a free download of the first ever studio recording of "Mover" - a track the band aired live a few times in the mid-90's.

It's a stormer, building on those well-worn bootlegs in my collection featuring the tune. Nick's guitar in particular is astonishing.

here's a direct link (http://www.vervedownload.com/download.php?linklokauth=TU9WRVJfVEhFX1ZFUlZFLm1wM ywxMjE0ODgwMDc2LDE3Mi4xNi4xMC4xLDAsMSxmdUB0cmFzaHl tYWlsLmNvbSwsNTJmOTBkMDBlYWY1YTA1MGI3OGNhZDNkZmMwM TlkM2U%3D/MOVER_THE_VERVE.mp3) so you don't need to give them your email address if you don't want.

stuporfly
07-01-2008, 06:12 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hAWxAHpFujc&hl=en"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hAWxAHpFujc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
"I See Houses"

Another new track was aired live last week. Even with the fairly poor audio, it sounds amazing.

stuporfly
07-16-2008, 03:13 AM
http://www.spin.com/sites/spin.com/files/080702_verve_art.jpg

I've been fortunate enough to be granted a listen to the new Verve album through a professional contact, and it's a monster.

Before I continue, let me predict the string of e-mails by saying the following: No, I didn't get a promo CD. It was a protected stream apparently attached to my IP address. I can't even get it on my iPod yet, dammit...

Sit and Wonder - The first new track aired for fans at last November's reunion shows, this has taken on many forms, each more monumental than the last. It was blistering at Coachella, and I dare say the studio version is even better. The entire band is at the top of their game, but Nick McCabe and Pete Salisbury in particular stand out on this track. Richard Ashcroft gives us a bit of falsetto at times, and all is right in the Verve world.

Love is Noise - The single version was compact, but the album take is expansive, adding guitar layers and likely giving all the McCabe fans massive boners when it all unfurls. It's more complete than the single.

Rather Be - Recently performed live, though the muddy recordings don't tell half the story. It's mid-tempo, with piano and strings and loads of "na-na-na-na" backing vocals. If that terrifies you, it shouldn't, because it's fucking brilliant. "Is there anywhere better than here?" Ashcroft asks. Not likely.

Judas - Shimmering guitars, upbeat rhythm. It feels like it's meandering a bit, perhaps a bit too light. The tempo picks up as the song nears its end, with McCabe going absolutely mental. Sorta like what you'd imagine the Verve might sound like after listening to naught but the Style Council for a week. And yes: I mean that in the best possible way. "Judas" has deceptive depth, and I know it's going to stick with me a long while.

- A pause, solely to say the following: I can't believe I'm actually fucking listening to new Verve material! Sweet fucking fuck!

Numbness - Fans of the early Verve who think Mad Richard steered the band and his solo career through a winding road of AOR pish from which he can never return will wind up picking their jaws off the floor after this one. His commitment to the journey into the far reaches of space McCabe, Simon Jones and Salisbury are on is absolute. "So these are my crimes..."

I See Houses - The fourth and final song on the album that's gotten at least one live airing in recent months. Simply mesmerising, gorgeous piano flourishes. It just rolls on and on..."How many lives must I waste...How many tears must I taste..."

Noise Epic - There's no way to put this other than to come right out and say it: It's the Verve's own "Bullet the Blue Sky." Because the Verve understand funk and soul music more than U2, it goes further in that vein than its predecessor. Jones plays the bass like a lead on at track that's far more 'epic' than 'noise.' The noise comes on near the end, like some lost, fantastic Sonic Youth avalanche. Clearly borne of a jam, and all the better for not having been trimmed to within an inch of its life. It's all over the place, and it's an amazing ride. "I got spiriiiiit!!!!" Full-on freak out music.

Valium Skies - It's sunshine breaking through the clouds. An unabashedly romantic song, but never over-sentimental. Far more meaningful than I could let on here. "She got all I need..."

Columbo - Comes in like a fog beneath the door before settling into a surprisingly effective Can-style vibe. Midway through it shifts gears, with Jones keeping the flow intact, but the song taking on a different meaning. No discernible reference to Peter Falk to be found anywhere. Thank fuck for that.

Appalachian Spring - That same feeling of coming out from a storm to see the world still there, sun shining that "See You In the Next One (Have a Good Time)" provided, though far more optimistic in scope. It's clear there was no song more perfectly suited to close out the album than this one - Beautiful guitar work from McCabe highlights a band obviously enjoying themselves far more than any of us could have hoped for. This may have been previously known as "Mama Soul," as some of the lyrics indicate. Not entirely sure about that, though.

People hoping for a return to the clean, string-laden anthems found on Urban Hymns should prepare themselves for what lies in store. Based on a first listen, this is a band driven toward a destination far beyond the charts.

A day before heading off to California for Coachella, I spoke to Simon Jones for a piece for the New York Press. During the course of our brief conversation, he told me he thought they'd just recorded the best album of their careers. It's the kind of thing you hear from musicians trying to hype up their latest and greatest, but he may actually have been on to something. They'll never be able to reproduce the thrill of those first sonic adventures found on the early singles and A Storm in Heaven, the confidence of knowing they were the greatest fucking band on the planet on A Northern Soul, or the inclusive taking-on-the-world anthems of Urban Hymns. They can't reproduce them, and to their immesurable credit they don't even try. Instead, the Verve offer a collection that draws on the past with its eyes firmly fixed on the road ahead. I may be heady with the euphoria of hearing something I never believed possible, but I think the feeling is coming from somewhere else. It's the music. They said it was all about the music, and maybe they weren't being entirely honest. But the evidence here suggests music first, foremost and forever was what guided the Verve in the studio while recording Forth.

Is it the best album the Verve have ever made? That's up to you. All I can say is that it's like everything and nothing they've ever done. I didn't realize how much we needed them back again until this moment. And from the sound of it, they're realizing it, too. All four sound absolutely energized, as good as they've been for years and years. They're right where they belong.

Can't wait to buy the CD, rip it to my iPod and hit the road, windows down, Forth on full blast.

Stefinitely Maybe
07-16-2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the review, stuporfly. That's pretty fucking exciting.

Also, I just got this from the Verve mailing list and website:

Product: Pre Order "Forth"
CD/DVD (PAL) Special Edition
Price: 16.99

Description: Pre Order Release Date - 25th August 2008

CD Album + DVD
Track Listing

01. Sit And Wonder
02. Love Is Noise
03. Rather Be
04. Judas
05. Numbness
06. I See Houses
07. Noise Epic
08. Valium Skies
09. Columbo
10. Appalachian Springs

DVD (PAL Format)
Track Listing

01. Sonnet (Live At Coachella)
02. Life's An Ocean (Live At Coachella)
03. The Rolling People (Live At Coachella)
04. Lucky Man (Live At Coachella)
05. Love Is Noise (Live At Coachella)
+ 20 minute "Space And Time" documentary

shakermaker113
07-16-2008, 07:19 AM
and there I was thinking this was a washed-up, pumpkings calibre reunion. they showed me. (or, are about to show me, it seems...)

also, live at coachella? awesome! I hope the dvd is included in the US release as well.

TonyWonder
07-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Yeah, that special edition sure as hell better get released in the US.

Thanks for the review Stuporfly..looking forward to this album more than any other on the release schedule.

bballarl
07-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Stef, would you mind getting me a copy of that CD/DVD when it drops (assuming they don't release it in the US)?

Stuporfly, thanks for the review. I am very excited to get this record.

shakermaker113
07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Stef, would you mind getting me a copy of that CD/DVD when it drops (assuming they don't release it in the US)?

Stuporfly, thanks for the review. I am very excited to get this record.

it'd probably be easier to just order it from amazon.co.uk.

Stefinitely Maybe
07-16-2008, 04:08 PM

Sure. Do you have a PAL DVD player?

mountmccabe
07-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Please US release please

idrive1life
07-16-2008, 04:51 PM
OMG! DVD with Live at Coachella vids! Region free DVD Player, FTW.

Can't wait to buy the CD, rip it to my iPod and hit the road, windows down, Forth on full blast.

YES!

prettydirtything
07-16-2008, 08:28 PM
OMG! DVD with Live at Coachella vids! Region free DVD Player, FTW.

YES!

I am against region free DVD players on principal; I already have 6! dvd players in my house (macbook, g5, xbox360, ps2, old unused regular dvd player in garage, old xbox w/XBMC)

Ya, whats with the PAL DVD? I am not gonna pay $36 for a regular album and a dvd that I will have to send through the digital wringer, aka, MactheRipper/Handbrake/iTunes/AppleTV.....

The special edition is not on Amazon USA.... (and only available on the verve website apparently?)

And the super special edition is 40 pounds... (like $80 us dollars?) same price as radiohead discbox but no where near the feature set or album quality. Sounds like a big F-you to the US fans...

My current plan is 13.99 off amazon USA for the regular album, and then piratebay here I come for the footage...

stuporfly
07-17-2008, 04:20 AM
And the super special edition is 40 pounds... (like $80 us dollars?) same price as radiohead discbox but no where near the feature set or album quality. Sounds like a big F-you to the US fans...

Actually, it looks like you can get it here...

Elusive Disc (http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRILP61252)

...for $40. It doesn't say anything about the digital download that's on the official site, but for half the price, I'll take it.

Hopefully it'll pop up elsewhere over the next few weeks, too.

Stefinitely Maybe
07-17-2008, 07:36 AM
hNbpgXzI_FI

bballarl
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Sure. Do you have a PAL DVD player?

Yes. Though I want to find out if it is coming out in the US first.

downingthief
07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I cannot wait for this...really hope that DVD gets a US release.

idrive1life
08-19-2008, 11:42 AM
http://www.spin.com/sites/spin.com/files/080702_verve_art.jpg

I've been fortunate enough to be granted a listen to the new Verve album through a professional contact, and it's a monster.

Before I continue, let me predict the string of e-mails by saying the following: No, I didn't get a promo CD. It was a protected stream apparently attached to my IP address. I can't even get it on my iPod yet, dammit...

Sit and Wonder - The first new track aired for fans at last November's reunion shows, this has taken on many forms, each more monumental than the last. It was blistering at Coachella, and I dare say the studio version is even better. The entire band is at the top of their game, but Nick McCabe and Pete Salisbury in particular stand out on this track. Richard Ashcroft gives us a bit of falsetto at times, and all is right in the Verve world.

Love is Noise - The single version was compact, but the album take is expansive, adding guitar layers and likely giving all the McCabe fans massive boners when it all unfurls. It's more complete than the single.

Rather Be - Recently performed live, though the muddy recordings don't tell half the story. It's mid-tempo, with piano and strings and loads of "na-na-na-na" backing vocals. If that terrifies you, it shouldn't, because it's fucking brilliant. "Is there anywhere better than here?" Ashcroft asks. Not likely.

Judas - Shimmering guitars, upbeat rhythm. It feels like it's meandering a bit, perhaps a bit too light. The tempo picks up as the song nears its end, with McCabe going absolutely mental. Sorta like what you'd imagine the Verve might sound like after listening to naught but the Style Council for a week. And yes: I mean that in the best possible way. "Judas" has deceptive depth, and I know it's going to stick with me a long while.

- A pause, solely to say the following: I can't believe I'm actually fucking listening to new Verve material! Sweet fucking fuck!

Numbness - Fans of the early Verve who think Mad Richard steered the band and his solo career through a winding road of AOR pish from which he can never return will wind up picking their jaws off the floor after this one. His commitment to the journey into the far reaches of space McCabe, Simon Jones and Salisbury are on is absolute. "So these are my crimes..."

I See Houses - The fourth and final song on the album that's gotten at least one live airing in recent months. Simply mesmerising, gorgeous piano flourishes. It just rolls on and on..."How many lives must I waste...How many tears must I taste..."

Noise Epic - There's no way to put this other than to come right out and say it: It's the Verve's own "Bullet the Blue Sky." Because the Verve understand funk and soul music more than U2, it goes further in that vein than its predecessor. Jones plays the bass like a lead on at track that's far more 'epic' than 'noise.' The noise comes on near the end, like some lost, fantastic Sonic Youth avalanche. Clearly borne of a jam, and all the better for not having been trimmed to within an inch of its life. It's all over the place, and it's an amazing ride. "I got spiriiiiit!!!!" Full-on freak out music.

Valium Skies - It's sunshine breaking through the clouds. An unabashedly romantic song, but never over-sentimental. Far more meaningful than I could let on here. "She got all I need..."

Columbo - Comes in like a fog beneath the door before settling into a surprisingly effective Can-style vibe. Midway through it shifts gears, with Jones keeping the flow intact, but the song taking on a different meaning. No discernible reference to Peter Falk to be found anywhere. Thank fuck for that.

Appalachian Spring - That same feeling of coming out from a storm to see the world still there, sun shining that "See You In the Next One (Have a Good Time)" provided, though far more optimistic in scope. It's clear there was no song more perfectly suited to close out the album than this one - Beautiful guitar work from McCabe highlights a band obviously enjoying themselves far more than any of us could have hoped for. This may have been previously known as "Mama Soul," as some of the lyrics indicate. Not entirely sure about that, though.

People hoping for a return to the clean, string-laden anthems found on Urban Hymns should prepare themselves for what lies in store. Based on a first listen, this is a band driven toward a destination far beyond the charts.

A day before heading off to California for Coachella, I spoke to Simon Jones for a piece for the New York Press. During the course of our brief conversation, he told me he thought they'd just recorded the best album of their careers. It's the kind of thing you hear from musicians trying to hype up their latest and greatest, but he may actually have been on to something. They'll never be able to reproduce the thrill of those first sonic adventures found on the early singles and A Storm in Heaven, the confidence of knowing they were the greatest fucking band on the planet on A Northern Soul, or the inclusive taking-on-the-world anthems of Urban Hymns. They can't reproduce them, and to their immesurable credit they don't even try. Instead, the Verve offer a collection that draws on the past with its eyes firmly fixed on the road ahead. I may be heady with the euphoria of hearing something I never believed possible, but I think the feeling is coming from somewhere else. It's the music. They said it was all about the music, and maybe they weren't being entirely honest. But the evidence here suggests music first, foremost and forever was what guided the Verve in the studio while recording Forth.

Is it the best album the Verve have ever made? That's up to you. All I can say is that it's like everything and nothing they've ever done. I didn't realize how much we needed them back again until this moment. And from the sound of it, they're realizing it, too. All four sound absolutely energized, as good as they've been for years and years. They're right where they belong.

To all those who love The Verve AND who do not want to illegally d/l the leak ... you could listen to the album in full streaming at their myspace

http://uk.myspace.com/theverve

sonofhal
08-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Most music DVD's are region free, so it'll just be a case of making sure your TV/Monitor is PAL compliant, rather than the player.

Also, i remember when The Verve were a significant musical act. It was a long time ago. I am old.

Sushov23
08-19-2008, 12:41 PM
I will be waiting to listen to this album until I buy it next tuesday. fuck get here already tuesday.

Mockingbird73
08-19-2008, 12:48 PM
it feels like i have been waiting forever for this album. i have listened to it twice in it's entirety on thier myspace page. it is all i had hoped it would be and then better!

it is BRILLIANT! Noise Epic is just awesome, love the album versions of Sit and Wonder and I See Houses.

This album is so solid. I absolutely loved A Northern Soul and Storm in Heaven, and this seems to be a culmination (and a continuation) of everything they have done in the past.

reunions - most times go terribly wrong. i am so happy that it has turned out nearly perfect.

Sushov23
08-19-2008, 01:12 PM
I can't wait for them to tour again.

shakermaker113
08-19-2008, 07:13 PM
having heard it now, I think stuporfly got a little too excited about it. but I will take what they are giving.

TonyWonder
08-28-2008, 01:26 PM
So I ordered the Verve Forth Box Set from Amazon and received it today. It is AWESOME! However, when I went to play the DVD that should include 5 live performances from Coachella 08, there is only a documentary and no Coachella.:( WTF?

Has anyone else out there encountered this?

bballarl
08-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I think the Coachella footage was for the British release.

shakermaker113
08-28-2008, 08:15 PM
damn. has anybody found a torrent of it anywhere?

TonyWonder
08-28-2008, 08:16 PM
I think the Coachella footage was for the British release.

The DVD case states specifically Live at Coachella, April 2008 and lists all 5 songs but they aren't anywhere to be found on the DVD. Arghh...

bballarl
08-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Perhaps they are hidden?

flowbee
09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
The DVD case states specifically Live at Coachella, April 2008 and lists all 5 songs but they aren't anywhere to be found on the DVD. Arghh...

What? Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

drowningmatt
09-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I was pissed when I got mine and no coachella footage.

shakermaker113
09-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I think it was only on the uk version, no? I couldn't find an edition in the US with a dvd.