PDA

View Full Version : shows are too fucking expensive

psychoc&ndy
06-22-2008, 10:01 PM
10 dollar convenience charge on ticketmaster, fuck that. just paid 45 dollars to see hot chip, it better be worth it. how do you people see so many shows these days?

fatbastard
06-22-2008, 10:03 PM
45 bucks for chips is too exspensive.

Cdubby
06-22-2008, 10:04 PM
10 dollar convenience charge on ticketmaster, fuck that. just paid 45 dollars to see hot chip, it better be worth it. how do you people see so many shows these days?

i save up and go to festivals and see 20+ acts or pay to see acts that i absolutely fucking love which aren't too many (radiohead, mbv, beastie boys, primus, portishead, pixies). I honestly don't know how people bounce from coast to coast then over to europe to follow shows, but then again im a poor college student (for one more year).

anti-square
06-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Blame Cheney.

woogie846
06-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Ticketmaster truly sucks.

MarkO
06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
$43 for a fucking $32 JAMC ticket. :(

psychoc&ndy
06-22-2008, 10:45 PM
$43 for a fucking $32 JAMC ticket. :(

damn, how can you afford that lineup of shows you've got in your sig... must cost a fortune

betao
06-22-2008, 10:50 PM

buy tickets at the venue or other outlets if you can.

I recently bought by 2 day Virgin Mobile Festival pass..

I got it in person at a music venue in DC, and it cost me 179 (retail price is 175).

I checked TM online, and saw that it would have cost me 211. Ridiculous. Thats 36 bucks extra I have to pay.

Just buy at a venue if you can.

MarkO
06-22-2008, 10:54 PM
........ must cost a fortune

It does.

I make good money and I don't waste (much of) it. I brown bag my lunch, bring my own coffee to work, only have a 15min commute to work so don't spend much on gas. It helps. The biggest $ saver is not going to bars & clubs though. I'm beyond that now at 34. Still like my microbrews and good Whiskey though.

betao
06-22-2008, 10:58 PM
It does.

I make good money and I don't waste (much of) it. I brown bag my lunch, bring my own coffee to work, only have a 15min commute to work so don't spend much on gas. It helps. The biggest $ saver is not going to bars & clubs though. I'm beyond that now at 34. Still like my microbrews and good Whiskey though.

wise words sir.

I just pretend to be broke. Coachella cost me about 1000, and in January I was in Brazil for 2 weeks, so I just drastically cut back on my expenses. Alot of my friends can't save money no matter what... they'll spend over 100 on random stuff in just one weekend... crazy.

Just pretend to be broke. Order water at the restaurant.

idrive1life
06-22-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't make good money and I waste much of it. lol

Hopeless Semantic
06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey people spend $100 dollars to play a round of golf on weekends. We spend 50+ chasing what we love, music. There is always going to be a cost nowadays its something you put up with. For every show we list that's bleeding us dry via ticketmaster, live nation, etc..etc...we go to local shows that are still 5-10+ a show. So the tradeoff is--we get great music, memories, and make friends doing what we love.

betao
06-22-2008, 11:02 PM
well i'm only 19.. I make $8 an hour and don't work full time... during the school year I only really worked on weekends. But just dont spend money on anything. Hell dont even carry your debit/credit card with you if that helps.

idrive1life
06-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Another tip on how to save money ...

Don't open/read those ___________ Tour & Upcoming Shows threads!

MarkO
06-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, just cut out shit you.don't.need.

- I'm ditching cable as I could do much better things with $70 a month.
- I got 8 years out of my last car and paid it off in 4. Changed the oil and did the brakes myself.
- Periodically, I scour the house and eBay the junk I pick up. That's good for a couple of hundred $ every time. DVD's, random computer items; Buh-bye.
- I've sold past copies of Rolling Stone that cost me pennies via subscription for $6 or $7 each.

betao
06-22-2008, 11:07 PM
that ebay idea is quite inspiring.

I may take advantage of this.

Hopeless Semantic
06-22-2008, 11:09 PM
well i'm only 19.. I make $8 an hour and don't work full time... during the school year I only really worked on weekends. But just dont spend money on anything. Hell dont even carry your debit/credit card with you if that helps.

That's what Financial Aid, scholorships, and grants are for! Lol. I don't have much experience on those since I payed my way through college, but my friends all afforded their tickets via using their FA.

betao
06-22-2008, 11:11 PM
haha no scholarships here... My parents are paying most of my tuition. I have to cover car expenses and (hopefully soon) apartment rent, and any other expenses I have.

MarkO
06-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Look, I worked for Burger King for $5.25/hour when I was going thru college. I didn't own a car and I paid rent out of that too. Now look at me.

Be sensible with your coin and you'll be ok. Don't be cheap and don't deny yourself 'treats' but make sure you get the value out of your $. I still bring back all my cans & bottles for the 5c redemption refund. It's a point of principle.

Psicosis
06-22-2008, 11:12 PM
how do you people see so many shows these days?

I try and review 'em (and get tickets for $0)

Still, shows are cheap where you are. We don't have the crazy charges TM adds - the tickets are expensive by default. VHS or Beta charged $45 (on a Wednesday night ffs, with one opener), Cold War Kids cost me $60 and Polyphonic Spree is a whopping $80 at a shitbox venue. Most arena tours start at $80 and only go up - from memory the cheapest ticket for The Police earlier this year was $130 and went up to $450.

Hopeless Semantic
06-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Get a cougar sugar momma...

That's a reachable goal, isn't it?

Boourns
06-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Hot Chip isn't worth 43 cents.

MarkO
06-22-2008, 11:15 PM

Cougars that have $$ are the Holy Grail of wimminz.

betao
06-22-2008, 11:16 PM

Still, shows are cheap where you are. We don't have the crazy charges TM adds - the tickets are expensive by default. VHS or Beta charged $45 (on a Wednesday night ffs, with one opener), Cold War Kids cost me $60 and Polyphonic Spree is a whopping $80 at a shitbox venue. Most arena tours start at $80 and only go up - from memory the cheapest ticket for The Police earlier this year was $130 and went up to $450.

whoa - i take back any complaining I have done.

That is insane man!

idrive1life
lol @ Boourns (I saw that one coming and I've been like waiting for that since reading the 1st post)

CSS isn't worth a penny. I'm hoping you got the tix for free. ;)

Hopeless Semantic

Hang out in Newport and you're bound to get yo'self a cougars mama.

Hopeless Semantic
06-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Neither is Islands or Feist--but that's all personal preference.

MarkO
06-22-2008, 11:18 PM
whoa - i take back any complaining I have done.

That is insane man!

Radiohead in Dublin cost me ~$110
Nick Cave in Dublin cost me ~$90

Hopeless Semantic
06-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Radiohead in Dublin cost me ~$110
Nick Cave in Dublin cost me ~$90

Those shows being in Dublin add like, 900 dollars in unseen coolness to the equation.

MarkO
06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
I'd rather have the $ in my pocket though. :)

Nick Cave played in the courtyard of Dublin Castle which was very, very cool though.

idrive1life
06-22-2008, 11:22 PM

I saw Cold War Kids for $10 @ St. Augustine, FL early last year (?). Very intimate show. They even even had opener(s) Tokyo Police Club and ? then I also saw British Sea Power & Film School AND Helio Sequence + couple of bands few weeks ago for $10 / $8.

I will never forgive myself for missing / forgetting Menomena's $10 show at Jacksonville last November.

betao
06-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Mogwai's stop in Richmond come September is only 15...

now THAT is a steal...

suprefan
06-23-2008, 12:00 AM

Working hard and knowing how to make the most of the money available to you.(well thats how I do it)

Sushov23
06-23-2008, 12:04 AM
I do what Betao wrote earlier about leaving the house without a debit card. I do that ALL THE TIME. The most I ever have in my wallet is 20 bucks, no more. I didn't have a job this last semester but I was able to stretch my money out and still attend a lot of shows.

orbit
06-23-2008, 12:06 AM
I paid $104 for the Tom Waits show tonight.

and I'd do it again. actually, I did it. I'm seeing him tomorrow too.

sbessiso
06-23-2008, 02:36 AM
i really really really REALLY wanna see coldplay and madonna..............that shit is so expensive

Boourns
06-23-2008, 02:43 AM
*looks at Coldplay @ 9:30 Club ticket stub*

10.50 plus 4.50 service charge

sbessiso
06-23-2008, 02:46 AM
when was this?^^^

Boourns
06-23-2008, 03:05 AM

captncrzy
06-23-2008, 08:56 AM
You need to be more selective with your shows if you're that upset about it. I can't imagine paying $43 for fucking Hot Chip. I'd pay $20.

shakermaker113
06-23-2008, 09:09 AM
it's even more expensive when you pay for your friend/date each time.

luckyface
06-23-2008, 09:10 AM
it's even more expensive when you pay for your friend/date each time.

A benefit of going alone.

sonofhal
06-23-2008, 09:22 AM
i really really really REALLY wanna see coldplay and madonna..............that shit is so expensive

Get a job at Ticketmaster. Then maybe you can use that five finger discount you seem so proud of. Oh, and get some taste.

Hopeless Semantic
06-23-2008, 09:25 AM
You need to be more selective with your shows if you're that upset about it. I can't imagine paying $43 for fucking Hot Chip. I'd pay $20.

$43 for homosexual sex with a bunch of Englishmen is quite pricey. Even @ $20 it's pushing the boundaries of how far I'll go.

shakermaker113
06-23-2008, 09:49 AM
A benefit of going alone.

agreed, and I'll do that sometimes, but it's awfully nice to share the experience if there's someone else around who will enjoy it.

amyzzz
06-23-2008, 11:07 AM
*looks at Coldplay @ 9:30 Club ticket stub*

10.50 plus 4.50 service charge
I saw Coldplay for free. Twice. Maybe that's why I'm reluctant to spend so much this time.

sbessiso
06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Get a job at Ticketmaster. Then maybe you can use that five finger discount you seem so proud of. Oh, and get some taste.

ouch

Sonicifyouwantit
06-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I used to buy tickets directly from el rey...that is before GV bought it and forced us to go through ticketmolestor. One saving grace, Troubadour in LA. You can fax ticket orders directly to them for only a $2 service charge.

BlackSwan
06-23-2008, 11:48 AM

correction... holy grail of wimminz is a sugar momma who is smokin' hot and younger than you.

i know from experience.:winkiss

nationocean
06-24-2008, 12:03 PM
be gay.

for reals. it has made my life great. my boy and i have great paying jobs, no children, great rent we locked in years ago, one car, no debts to pay off and all the extra money we can shake a stick at.

and we travel non stop and see all the shows i want to see.

life is pretty good.

so, uh yeah, my advice. BE GAY.

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
hahahaha

or just have endless cash flow.

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 12:18 PM
scalping is so hot right now.

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 12:21 PM
be gay.

for reals. it has made my life great. my boy and i have great paying jobs, no children, great rent we locked in years ago, one car, no debts to pay off and all the extra money we can shake a stick at.

and we travel non stop and see all the shows i want to see.

life is pretty good.

so, uh yeah, my advice. BE GAY.

haha, right on

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:21 PM
I just walk in like I own the place.

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Or use mind control.

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
have you ever tried crying?
crying is the fucking best!

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
I just walk in like I own the place.

this has never been something i've attempted, or even thought about attempting, too scared, but last night at the fillmore for modest mouse my friend first snuck into the venue into the seating area, then into the 2nd pit, then into the 1st pit, just like that. she did the same thing for mars volta at the same venue. made me feel silly for paying for a fucking ticket. next show at the fillmore i'm definetly tagging along, funny thing is, the next thing is Jerry Seinfeld

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
SPAZ ATTACK!

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:29 PM
It worked in PCU.

Blow me where the pampers is.

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 12:33 PM
funny thing is, the next thing is Jerry Seinfeld

HAHAHAHA!!!!

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Jerry Seinfeld for free sounds good

shakermaker113
06-24-2008, 12:39 PM
last night at the fillmore for modest mouse my friend first snuck into the venue into the seating area, then into the 2nd pit, then into the 1st pit, just like that.

so the fillmore in FL has separate sections? how big is this thing? do livenation feel like they can slap that name on any kind of venue? wtf! my rants about this will never end. if they're going to create a chain, they could at least stick to venues similar to the real fillmore. wtf.

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:40 PM
wtf.

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 12:43 PM
so the fillmore in FL has separate sections? how big is this thing? do livenation feel like they can slap that name on any kind of venue? wtf! my rants about this will never end. if they're going to create a chain, they could at least stick to venues similar to the real fillmore. wtf.

LiveNation is buying venues throughout the country and giving it the Fillmore name as well as performing some renovations, including installing better sound systems, some decorative touches to match the original Fillmore in SF. There is a new Fillmore being built in Maryland and a few more popping up. Generally the theaters that are being eyed by Livenation are theaters that have a similar vibe and reputation to that of the SF Fillmore.

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 12:43 PM

last night was my first time in the fillmore since all the new renovations and it got the name fillmore, theres a balcony (mezzazine?), then "orchestra", whic is just general seating, then a pit thats about level with the stage, then a closer pit thats right in front of the stage, I truly dont understand why we couldnt go into the 1st pit but only the second

ive never seen the real fillmore, and i cant tell you the capacity of this one because, well, I have no idea. but the place was nice enough, and boy, we miami beach-ians really needed a moderately sized venue to attract some artists, we're FINALLY getting some decent shows, im gunna be seeing my morning jacket there

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
The fillmore in denver is a fantastic venue to catch a show.

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Its pretty easy to sneak into also.

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
The fillmore in denver is a fantastic venue to catch a show.

I hear the gloryholes are fantastic.

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
after last night, I believe that. apparantly, from what my friend told me, theres a door that should be locked but just isnt, i would be skeptical, but shes done this twice now (maybe even three times, i think she did it for vampire weekend too)

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I hear the gloryholes are fantastic.

Ur moms fantastic.

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
let's get off the mothers, 'cuz i just got off yours.

miscorrections
06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
OOOOOOHHHHHH

sbessiso
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
snap!

Young blood
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I hate you guys.

shakermaker113
06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Generally the theaters that are being eyed by Livenation are theaters that have a similar vibe and reputation to that of the SF Fillmore.

this FL one doesn't sound one bit like the SF Fillmore. livenation FAIL!

SFChrissy
06-24-2008, 02:48 PM
this FL one doesn't sound one bit like the SF Fillmore. livenation FAIL!
I don't like this idea!!! it's like the fillmore is turning into a chain of mcdoodoo's...Sorry but there is only one fillmore...and I believe each theatre has it's own original vibe and should maintain the history of what it's birthright name is!!!

thinnerair
06-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Oct 10 2007 10:25AM EDT
The Starbucksification of the Fillmore?

Is San Francisco's legendary Fillmore Auditorium, which helped launch Janis Joplin and the Grateful Dead, fated to be as synonymous with concert venues as Starbucks is with coffee bars?

Live Nation, the world's largest concert promoter and a Clear Channel spinoff, is rapidly remodeling midsized concert venues across the country into the image of the San Francisco Fillmore, complete with dark red walls, crystal chandeliers, and barrels of free apples.

The original Fillmore, once owned and operated by concert promoter Bill Graham, was host to rock and roll's psychedelic era and later punk rock and continues to operate today. Graham originally tried to expand by opening a Fillmore East in Manhattan's East Village in 1968 but had to close it down in 1971.

Live Nation, the Fillmore's current owners, have expanded the brand by remodeling concert halls in Detroit, Philadelphia, New York, and Miami Beach. It plans to open another in Silver Spring, Maryland, in 2009 or 2010 where a JC Penney once stood. Several more Fillmores are expected to open in the coming years, a Live Nation spokesman said.

"I don't think we mass produce concerts like Starbucks mass produces coffee," says Bruce Eskowitz, Live Nation president and chief executive for North American concerts. "The Fillmore has been the link with some of the greatest artists in the world who provide the best music for their fans."

There are now six Fillmores, including the original in San Francisco and the Fillmore Auditorium opened in 1999 in Denver. Live Nation also owns the 11 House of Blues—a 1,000 to 1,500 capacity concert venue in no way in market competition with the 2,000 to 4,000 capacity range of the Fillmores.

Many of the concert halls Live Nation took over have a history of their own, including Detroit's State Theater, New York's Irving Plaza, and the Jackie Gleason Theater in Miami Beach.

The Florida venue was where Gleason taped his TV variety shows featuring entertainment legends like Frank Sinatra and Bob Hope. Tonight, Ricky Martin will open the club, now called the Fillmore Miami Beach at Jackie Gleason Theater.

Live Nation spent $3.5 million putting the Fillmore touches onto the Gleason Theater, which included a new marquee, five chandeliers, a greeter at the door to talk about upcoming shows, barrels of apples, new curtains, new lights, a new sound system, a new concession area, and revamped dressing rooms with plasma televisions to let performers see the stage.

"We even brought on the San Francisco team to oversee the remodeling of the new venues to keep it as authentic as possible," says Eskowitz. "Many of these buildings have great histories. But over a period of a couple of years people will call it the Fillmore."

Performers have noted increased professionalism, better sound quality, and tighter security at the Fillmore-ized venues. But the patrons are the same, they added.

"It doesn't make much of a difference if it's Irving Plaza or Fillmore, the crowd is responding to you the same way," said Pedro Erazo of Gogol Bordello. That popular New York band sold out several shows in what is now called the Fillmore New York at Irving Plaza.

Also in the market of expansion, the CBGB that closed down last October in New York's Bowery following a rent dispute will reopen in Las Vegas in the next couple of years.

The founder, Hilly Kristal, gutted CBGB of its bar, walls, even urinals before he ied on August 28. He planned to move it all to a new venue in the older section of the Las Vega Strip, which he compared to the East Village. Brett Green, an attorney for CBGB, wrote in an email that a location for the Las Vegas CBGB's reopening should be finalized in 2008 or 2009.

by Andrea Chalupa