PDA

View Full Version : coolest apartment ever

Tylerdurden31
06-12-2008, 11:46 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/12/garden/12puzzle.html

Eric Clough isn't your typical architectural designer. Sure, he'll design you a fine den or kitchen, but he's clearly got a creative streak that goes much deeper than that. That's why, when given the opportunity, he secretly built an incredible scavenger hunt into a $8.5-million, 4,200-square-foot Park Avenue apartment that included ciphers, riddles, poems and a lot of hidden doors and compartments.

Cancersticks1
06-12-2008, 12:58 PM
why would they be bemused by it? ungrateful bastards.

Courtney
06-12-2008, 05:07 PM
That beats anything posted on Apartment Therapy.

boarderwoozel3
06-12-2008, 05:19 PM
If you've got that kind of cash to blow, why not? Lucky kids.

gaypalmsprings
06-12-2008, 05:28 PM
4,200-square-foot apartment for $8.5 million in 2003

algunz
06-12-2008, 05:40 PM
A very interesting concept, but what do you do when the puzzle is solved? Deal with a bunch of useless cabinets that could have been great storage space.

I was a little disappointed once I actually looked at the pictures. The walnut cabinetry and the wall sconces etc were not what I expected. The door handle/crank and the individual hand puzzles were cool, but the rest just seemed a bit Brady Bunch. I liked the bathroom though.

arbouler
06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
unless the price is money or solving a murder crime the builder committed, why would anyone even bother? even if the kids were to play it, theyd play it just once and then it becomes a waste.

Jenniehoo
06-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Invite people over. I'd play the shit out of that.

boarderwoozel3
06-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Invite people over. I'd play the shit out of that.

Best dinner party ever.

whynotsmile99
06-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Fucking pretentious New York

canexplain
06-13-2008, 09:15 AM
i always was interested in this house ....x****

On Location at the Winchester Mystery House
It is one of the strangest homes in the world. Once located on more than 160 acres, the Winchester Mansion took 38 years to build. Well, actually, that's not quite true. It really still isn't finished. The only reason they are not adding to it is because the owner is dead.
But when the owner was alive, it was under construction 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for 38 years. Eventually it spread to 160 rooms, but when the owner suddenly died, the whole project came to a grinding halt.
Why such a large home for just one person? And why does it feature some of the strangest construction in the world, including doorways that seem to go, well, absolutely nowhere? The answer might surprise you.
The Winchester Mansion is an amazing place. Built between 1884 and 1922, this house already had modern sewer and heating systems. Not only that, but it also had three working elevators, 47 fireplaces and gas lighting all the way through.
Today, nobody is really sure what the home is valued at, but it is expensive and it is not hard to see why. It's filled with opulent stained glass windows, ornate parquet floors, and exceptionally rich wall coverings. But in spite of all that, it's not really the extravagance of the home that makes it special.
It started out as a simple eight-room house, but renovations over the years converted it into a sprawling multi-million dollar estate. But even then, it's not the size of the house that makes it stand out.
Why don't we go in and take a closer look?
There are many large, extravagant homes in the world, but the Winchester Mansion stands out from the crowd because of some of the strange features you will find inside. For example, there are a number of staircases that literally go nowhere, stopping at the ceiling. You might think that somebody decided to close off a staircase, but actually, they were designed that way.
Some of the more functional staircases are also strange. One of them is nicknamed the "switchback staircase" because it turns seven times and has 44 steps, even though it only goes up about nine feet. Why would somebody design a staircase like that?
For that matter, why would somebody design any of the oddities in the Winchester house?
One useless chimney rises through four stories and then stops a foot and a half from the ceiling. Some of the doors in this house open onto blank walls. Support posts were deliberately installed upside-down.
Other doors open up to 10-foot drops. Parts of the house feature little toddler-sized doors and balconies, and one room even features a window that is actually built right into the floor.
Then there is the number 13. The thirteenth bathroom has 13 windows. The grand staircase has 13 steps. There are 52 skylights, a multiple of 13. The driveway has 13 palm trees, and one of the sinks even has 13 drain holes.
The question is why? Why all of this strange, expensive architecture that doesn't make any sense? Why 13 of almost everything? The answer is surprising, even a little blood-curdling.
The mansion was built by Sarah Winchester. She was the wife of William Winchester, the son of the man who made the famous Winchester repeating rifle. Sarah and William had one child, a little girl named Annie, who died of a protein deficiency six weeks after birth

kroqken
10-27-2009, 05:17 PM
My apartment is better, it is over 900 square feet for only $940 a month. God, I love rent control.

Courtney
10-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Lego kitchen (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/design/lego-kitchen-098757):

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/sf/10.16.09%20lego%201.jpg

kroqken
10-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Lego kitchen (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/design/lego-kitchen-098757):

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/sf/10.16.09%20lego%201.jpg

Courtney, you are so FUCKING AMAZING, COOL, etc., ibid.

gaypalmsprings
10-27-2009, 05:23 PM
This would be a cool slide for the yard.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/gaypalmsprings/slide.jpg

kroqken
10-27-2009, 05:25 PM
This would be a cool slide for the yard.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w302/gaypalmsprings/slide.jpg
I don't like anything that reminds me of the Republican Party.

HowToDisappear
10-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I saw the Legos on Apartment Therapy.

Cool, but imagine how time consuming and expensive it would be. Legos aren't cheap. And if you had kids they'd forever be trying to take it apart. There goes the kitchen.

kroqken
10-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Lego my apartment Ego Waffles.

Courtney
10-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I saw the Legos on Apartment Therapy.

Cool, but imagine how time consuming and expensive it would be. Legos aren't cheap. And if you had kids they'd forever be trying to take it apart. There goes the kitchen.

I think they said something about a clear lacquer or sealant over everything, so that it would stay put. And also it's not solid Lego -- it's just an outer layer over a regular island. Or maybe they didn't say that at all, but that's how I would do it.

canexplain
10-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I think they said something about a clear lacquer or sealant over everything, so that it would stay put. And also it's not solid Lego -- it's just an outer layer over a regular island. Or maybe they didn't say that at all, but that's how I would do it.

courtney are you still mad at me ..... just wondering ... cr****

kroqken
10-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Courtney does not seem to be the type to get mad, unless someone stole her class ring or something.

kroqken
11-16-2009, 05:59 PM
My apartment was on the first episode of Blind Date. That stupid girl made fun of my furniture.

TommyboyUNM
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
what kind of furniture was it ken

kroqken
11-16-2009, 06:07 PM
She was referring to my couch. She said it smelled like I got it out of a dumpster. NOT TRUE!