PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2008

Pages : [1] 2 3

downingthief
06-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I know there are fellow footie fans on the board...who else is excited about the Euros? I know...sucks England is out, but there will be some great matchups, especially early on.

Looking forward to seeing the Netherlands-Italy match on Monday. My "heart" pick is with the Orange to make it to the finals, but that will be tough.

If I was a betting man, I would take Spain.

TomAz
06-06-2008, 12:23 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/Snl89188.jpg

downingthief
06-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes, Tom. Germany has a solid shot as well.

TomAz
06-06-2008, 12:30 PM
2b0GNwuNMDc

downingthief
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
That would be Portugal.

gmoneyak
06-06-2008, 12:36 PM
2b0GNwuNMDc

That's a good one

I'm pulling for the perennial chokers known as Spain, they're just too fucking talented not to at least make it to the final. Italy and Germany are going to be main threats.

orbit
06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm excited about this.

I hope none of the "big" ones (germany, italy, netherlands, etc) win this. I'm going for Czech Republic again, and Croatia as the great surprise.

downingthief
06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
That is my thinking, as well. Incredible talent on Spain.

downingthief
06-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm excited about this.

I hope none of the "big" ones (germany, italy, netherlands, etc) win this. I'm going for Czech Republic again, and Croatia as the great surprise.

That would be cool, but not likely this year. Just don't see any of the "bottom" countries surprising anyone this time around. Greece was a great story in 2004 though.

algunz
06-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Does anybody have the schedule to post or do I have to make the effort myself?

downingthief
06-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Here ya go!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/euro2008/fixtures?league=uefa.euro&date=20080601&type=month&cc=5901

algunz
06-06-2008, 12:47 PM
You are a superstar. Thank you.

algunz
06-06-2008, 12:49 PM
17:00 UK
19:45 UK

What time is that for California? I'm sorry. I really don't feel like doing any of the thinking today.

orbit
06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
That is my thinking, as well. Incredible talent on Spain.

Spain uses to put a great team every tournament, but they always lose in the important games. They have a pretty easy group in the first round though, so let's see what they can do after that.

I'm surprised Raul and Guti were not called.

mountmccabe
06-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Here ya go!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/euro2008/fixtures?league=uefa.euro&date=20080601&type=month&cc=5901

I don't have ESPN Classic so that means if I wanna watch the games tomorrow I have to go to a bar. At 9 am/11:45 am. And I bet the one around the corner won't be open/won't have a clue as it was for their March Madness coverage.

Sean, are you going somewhere to watch these Saturday and/or Sunday morning?

downingthief
06-06-2008, 01:46 PM
John, probably not. Will unfortunately miss some of the matches tomorrow. Most likely I will catch them on Sunday.

I know the George & Dragon on Central will be showing all the matches.

Here is a cool site for all Soccer fans...you can find a channel, and watch it online (and, it's free to join):

www.livesoccertv.com

I watched the US/Spain match the other day on my PC.

downingthief
06-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Spain uses to put a great team every tournament, but they always lose in the important games. They have a pretty easy group in the first round though, so let's see what they can do after that.

This is by far the best team that Spain has had in in some time, if ever. Top to bottom, they are stacked.

Fabregas doesn't even start some matches, and he is world class.

downingthief
06-06-2008, 01:50 PM
17:00 UK
19:45 UK

What time is that for California? I'm sorry. I really don't feel like doing any of the thinking today.

9:00 AM

1:45 PM

I think... :)

joeinthebox
06-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Spain seems very good on paper but they haven't been a strong tournament team as of late.

quarterfinals in the Euro 2000 and World Cup 2002, an early exit in Euro 2004, another disappointing World Cup performance in 2006.

i suppose this could be the year for Spain, but it seems like people have been saying that every time a tournament rolls around.

but what do i know, i've pegged France to survive the Group of Death, find vengeance against the Italians and beat Germany to win Euro 2008.

CuervoPH
06-06-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't have ESPN Classic so that means if I wanna watch the games tomorrow I have to go to a bar. At 9 am/11:45 am.

I'm facing the same problem. However, the first two matches are going to be rebroadcast on ESPN2 starting at 2:30 am EST on Sunday. I will most likely set my alarm and get up and watch those two matches so I don't have the scores spoiled for me during the regular Sunday matches later on ESPN2.

Hopeless Semantic
06-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Who won it last time, Greece? I'm going to root for Spain--but I know they'll probably underachieve again and lose to like, Monaco or something.

CuervoPH
06-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Greece won it, and if I remember correctly, they followed up by not even qualifying for the World Cup in 2006.

Hopeless Semantic
06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Oh yeah. So, tomorrow it starts? I have all the ESPNs, FSC, and a good portion of the Spanish speaking channels, I won't miss a match! I'm still stoked after the Man U. vs. Chelsea final the other day. Even though I'm a Gunner fan.

downingthief
06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Starts with the Swiss against the Czechs. Should be a fairly easy win for Czech, but I wouldn't surprised if the Swiss push a goal through. Little home cooking doesn't hurt either.

Prediction: Czech 2 Swiss 1

Second match is Portugal Turkey.
On paper, should be Portugal. You never know what you get with Turkey. Sometimes they look like they can hang with anyone in the world. Other times, they look completely lost. I'm going with the latter...

Prediction:
Portgugal 2 Turkey 0

Bud Luster
06-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Netherlands to win it all...

pinguinotonto
06-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Portugal will probably win tomorrow. And I can see the Swiss tying against the Czech 1-1 especially now that Nedved isn't on the team.

CuervoPH
06-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Good to see another Gunner fan on the board. And as much as it hurt me to see Ronaldo get let off the hook for his woeful penalty kick attempt in the CL final, it was worth it to see John Terry miss and Chelsea lose. I have no problem with JT when he's playing for England, but man I hate Chelsea.

I'm really looking forward to Portugal v. Turkey. I think that will be an excellent match. Germany v. Poland on Sunday should be really exciting also.

Down Rodeo
06-06-2008, 05:35 PM

I would love for this to finally come true.

Mr.Nipples
06-06-2008, 05:39 PM
I love soccer injuries!

idrive1life
06-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Christ, I'm not going to get anything done/completed next week at work. I'm leaving office early on Wednesday and Friday for The Cure shows. Then me and a few colleagues are gonna be taking long multiple lunch breaks at nearest Irish/Euro bar to watch the games. fuck work! Are they gonna be streaming any games online?

Thanks downing for this thread.

Go Spain!

orbit
06-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Spain won't make it to the finals. Even with that great team.

looks like ESPN will be broadcasting the games online here (http://video.uefa.com/Video/Live/Competitions/EURO/Country=US/MatchList.html)

idrive1life
06-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for that awesome link. You are right, but still Go Spain!

gmoneyak
06-06-2008, 07:44 PM

I'm actually glad Raul was finally left off the team. Now the coaching staff won't feel obligated to start him over more "in-form" strikers, like David Villa.

Guti, I'm surprised about. I think he's a very serviceable player and one that could be used as a defensive midfielder for the national team. The work he does for Real Madrid is always under-appreciated.

I think Torres is going to have a huge tourney, his one year in the Premiership, (24 goals), really matured his game.

They could be dangerous, but I can't stand Van Nistlerooy and Van der Sar. Fuck the Dutch.

downingthief
06-06-2008, 07:47 PM
What don't you like about Nistlerooy? He's pure class.

gmoneyak
06-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Besides that fact that he played for Man U, I thought he was a whiny overrated bitch. Maybe I'm biased.

And he had a huge oblong head, never liked those guys.

downingthief
06-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Ha!

Well, I don't like Man U either, so I'll give you that one. I've always enjoyed watching the Dutch play, and he's stellar on the international stage.

boarderwoozel3
06-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm for the Dutch as well. But, I think Portugal will win it.

Group A-Portugal & Czech Rep.
Group B- Germany & Croatia
Group C- Netherlands & Italy
Group D- Spain & Greece

Quarters:
Portugal over Croatia
Czech Rep. over Germany
Netherlands over Greece
Italy over Spain*

Semis:
Portugal over Czech Rep.
Netherlands over Italy

Finals:
Portugal over Netherlands

algunz
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I was watching a rerun of the England vs.Croatia game from November. What a fucking great match.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
06-06-2008, 11:24 PM
I've liked the Dutch ever since I first saw Neeskens, Cruyff, Rensenbrink and the rest of the 1974 WC team. Just class.

After they stiffed the Scots out of a place in Euro 08, I'm rooting against the Italians. Other than that, I'd take a Spain victory, just to stop all the "always the bridesmaid" crap that goes on at every tourney they play in.

boarderwoozel3
06-06-2008, 11:30 PM
England not being in the finals is hilarious. They only needed a draw at Wembly...

Westy
06-07-2008, 08:01 AM
England not being in the finals is hilarious. They only needed a draw at Wembly...

It is not hilarious! At least I won't have to go through the emotional rollercoaster of a football competition which would inevitably end in dissappointment. It's hard work being an England fan, it really is.

CuervoPH
06-07-2008, 08:12 AM
And apparently I don't have the right high-speed internet provider to stream the matches online live. Oh well. I'll just go to my backup plan of watching today's matches on ESPN2 when they replay them at some ungodly early AM hour tomorrow.

MarkO
06-07-2008, 08:14 AM
I've liked the Dutch ever since I first saw Neeskens, Cruyff, Rensenbrink and the rest of the 1974 WC team. Just class. .......

Ah yes, the era of 'total football'. Yet it was ze Germans who went home more often than not with the silverware.

downingthief
06-07-2008, 09:19 AM
And apparently I don't have the right high-speed internet provider to stream the matches online live. Oh well. I'll just go to my backup plan of watching today's matches on ESPN2 when they replay them at some ungodly early AM hour tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat. sucks. Watching the ESPN gamecast instead.

orbit
06-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm glad I can watch the games online. Czech republic won their first game 1-0.

Omar1
06-07-2008, 10:47 AM
http://www.justin.tv/anfoc

you can also watch the games here. who will be the surprise team this year? i say it will be poland.

downingthief
06-07-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.justin.tv/anfoc

you can also watch the games here. who will be the surprise team this year? i say it will be poland.

Nice! Thanks for the link...livesoccertv didn't have any feeds going.

boarderwoozel3
06-07-2008, 12:45 PM
So Portugal looked solid in attack. Defense was a bit flimsy late.

idrive1life
06-07-2008, 02:12 PM
So whats the deal with Cristiano Ronaldo? Is he staying with ManU or not?

I dont like that prediction boarderw (as in where did Spain go? :D) but thats more likely to happen than what I want to happen.

boarderwoozel3
06-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Fixed spain, no difference in the end. Ronaldo will stay, Man U would be crazy to sell him.

downingthief
06-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I think he is gone. What else is there for him to do in England? Plus, they are throwing insane money at him.

Thoughts on the matches today...

The Swiss came out very spirited. Definitely deserved a goal, or two. Czechs only have one shot on goal, and it goes in. Sometimes that's the way it goes. They definitely miss Rosicky in the middle to create chances. They will have to step it up next match.

Portugal was the classier side in the second match, and clearly deserved the result. The pace of the match was furious, and I think it caught up with the Turks in the second half. They had their chances though. Missed some very good opportunities.

CuervoPH
06-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't see Austria winning or drawing this match, but they're hanging in better than I thought they would after the early goal. I was afraid the match was gonna turn ugly after Croatia scored so quickly.

mountmccabe
06-08-2008, 10:01 AM
The guy what works in the lab with me is going to be happy. He is from Croatia.

gmoneyak
06-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Ahhh.. I love soccer fans, this supposedly happened during Italy's practice the other day:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/Gmoneyak2/streaker.jpg

Also,

This Germany v. Poland match has been really fast paced, one of the best of the tourney so far.

algunz
06-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I missed the second goal because my cable cut out. That's really fucking annoying.

That second goal looked pretty lucky, but I guess that's all it takes sometimes.

CuervoPH
06-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah. I missed the second goal also. And, I switched over to regular ESPN and that channel was out too, but none of my other channels had problems. Weird.

Oh well. Podolski continues to play well internationally. Germany is going to be tough especially if Lehmann can play up to some of his past form. (That being said, they don't get to play San Marino any more.)

Hopeless Semantic
06-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Podolski seems to put thing together on the international scene, but is either being under-utilized in Bayern Munich's gameplan or, is the Robert Horry of the soccer world.

boarderwoozel3
06-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Ze Germans have a cake group. Same with Portugal.

Poland's defense was in shambles. They were luck to only concede 2 goals.

sonofhal
06-08-2008, 03:40 PM
In the absence of England, i'm supporting Spain. They are a great team of under-achievers who will get beaten in the semi's on penalties.- just like supporting England

pinguinotonto
06-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Haha. When the cable cut out, I told my friend Germany were gonna score..and they did, it was pretty funny. Today's games were ok. No surprises in the scores. Can't wait for tomorrow.

idrive1life
06-08-2008, 07:01 PM
In the absence of England, i'm supporting Spain. They are a great team of under-achievers who will get beaten in the semi's on penalties.- just like supporting England

bwaahaaaahaha

Thats probably the reason why I'm on board for team Spain!

Monday, June 9, 2008
14:45 ET Netherlands v Italy

Tuesday, June 10, 2008
12:00 ET Spain v Russia

Good thing The Cure's on Wednesday and Friday.

downingthief
06-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Can't wait for tomorrow's matches. I'm taking the day off work to watch them. Got to put those vacation days to use. Really hoping the Orange can pull through.

The host countries sure have run into some bad luck. Both Croatia, and the Czechs, did not impress at all.

mountmccabe
06-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Can't wait for tomorrow's matches. I'm taking the day off work to watch them. Got to put those vacation days to use. Really hoping the Orange can pull through.

Niiice.

I am excited to see how the Dutch do against Italy. I'll get to watch one half or the other on my lunch break, is all, though.

idrive1life
06-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Wish I could take some work days off in the next coming weeks. I have to save them for August and September.

idrive1life
06-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Netherlands 2 - Italy 1

algunz
06-08-2008, 08:12 PM
I'll be able to catch the first half of Netherlands & Italy during my conference. But I will miss the second half. I'm almost tempted to have somebody cover my 3rd period, so I can watch the whole thing. I think I'll save that possibility for when we get a little further in the tournament.

Italy will always be my team. They are just so damn cute.

TomAz
06-08-2008, 09:06 PM

The host countries sure have run into some bad luck. Both Croatia, and the Czechs, did not impress at all.

btw if you have cable through Cox you can spend $5/mo to get the "sports tier" which gets all these channels like ESPN Classic and ESPNU and The Soccer Channel and so on. I know this because I ordered it this weekend for the NCAA baseball playoffs. so you order it, then if you want you an cancel it, you're out $5 max and should get all the games on TV.

Hopeless Semantic
06-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I have the same deal under Time Warner here in So. Cal and it comes in handy. Additionally, I get the FSC channel and NBAtv as well. Those two keep me close to Arsenal and other NBA games.

garrett222
06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
btw if you have cable through Cox you can spend $5/mo to get the "sports tier" which gets all these channels like ESPN Classic and ESPNU and The Soccer Channel and so on. I know this because I ordered it this weekend for the NCAA baseball playoffs. so you order it, then if you want you an cancel it, you're out $5 max and should get all the games on TV.

espn.com/insider = $9.99, Espn Package = $5.00. Knowing with certainty that TommAz is a complete loser = Priceless.

orbit
06-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I hope italy lose against netherlands. in fact, I hope they lose against any team.

algunz
06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Why the hate?

Also I just realized Italy is the 2nd game, so I should be able to see pretty much the whole thing. Stoked.

boarderwoozel3
06-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Yes, bring on the group of death. And go Netherlands!

Hopeless Semantic
06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
The group of death has Italy, The Netherlands, and who else?

downingthief
06-09-2008, 06:14 AM
The group of death has Italy, The Netherlands, and who else?

Romania and France. Solid Group.

pinguinotonto
06-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Allez les Bleus!

Hopeless Semantic
06-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Romania and France. Solid Group.

Whoa that group is sick...

stuporfly
06-09-2008, 08:45 AM
I fully expect the eventual champion to come out of Group C, though a surprise wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

With England not in the mix, my sentimental favorite would have to be France, though I don't know how much I'd rate their chances of making it that far.

France-Romania is on ESPN-2 (stoppage at the end of the half) right now for those of you in the US.

Hopeless Semantic
06-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I notice the first few games have been shutouts...Actually, all four of them have I think.

boarderwoozel3
06-09-2008, 11:27 AM
YES! This one is for my Dutch homies *Pours out a little Heineken*

First goal sketchy but I'll take it and the second was brilliant, just beautiful football.

mountmccabe
06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah, that second goal was fantastic.

algunz
06-09-2008, 12:16 PM
First goal sketchy but I'll take it and the second was brilliant, just beautiful football.

Sketchy? That was plain bullshit.

Ok now that I have been able to really figure out my work schedule, I am genuinely tortured. I will be able tocatch the first half of the games, but I'll miss all of the 2nd. You guys need to update on here for us unfortunate souls who are unable to watch.

And yes, the 2nd goal was perfection.

gmoneyak
06-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Wow, the Dutch have started really strong, and now w/the ability to bring a somewhat healthy Van Persie off the bench, look out.. Robben wasn't even available today either.

The Italians are really lacking in strikers, Toni can't be the only threat up top.

orbit
06-09-2008, 12:52 PM
it has been a good day.

pinguinotonto
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Wow. What a beautiful game that was. Top three goals of the tournament so far are those three.

Hopeless Semantic
06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
So far what have we learned? Well, imo the Portuguese, Germans, and Dutch are going to be hard to beat.

Hopeless Semantic
06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
who won the France-Romania tilt?

joeinthebox
06-09-2008, 01:27 PM
who won the France-Romania tilt?

draw, 0-0.

Down Rodeo
06-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Fuck yeah, Netherlands! That was an awesome game - Italy was utterly dominated. I wouldn't expect the Italians to play that poorly again.

Hopeless Semantic
06-09-2008, 01:36 PM
YES! This one is for my Dutch homies *Pours out a little Heineken*

I think Carlsberg is a better brew, but that's just my opinion.

I'm divided between Portugal/Spain...

Bud Luster
06-09-2008, 02:28 PM

LALALALALALALAAAAAA!

idrive1life
06-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Netherlands 2 - Italy 1

My bad. I love Italy so I gave them that other lone goal. ;) Sorry algunz, for that shutout.

GOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/idrive1life/HollandGoal2.jpg

idrive1life
06-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Spain 2 - Russia 0

I'm for the Dutch as well. But, I think Portugal will win it.

Group A-Portugal & Czech Rep.
Group B- Germany & Croatia
Group C- Netherlands & Italy
Group D- Spain & Greece

Quarters:
Portugal over Croatia
Czech Rep. over Germany
Netherlands over Greece
Italy over Spain*

Semis:
Portugal over Czech Rep.
Netherlands over Italy

Finals:
Portugal over Netherlands
My Prediction:
Portugal over Germany
Netherlands over Spain (via penalty shoot out ... winner will take it all VS. winner of Portugal vs. Germany)

Netherlands over Portugal

Go Spain! I'll be also happy with Netherlands winning it all.

boarderwoozel3
06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Looks like Italy could mess up my predictions.

Hope the Dutch can keep this form.

downingthief
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Love it! taking the day off was way worth it...Orange looked fantastic. There is no better team in the world that runs a counter attack like the Dutch. Pure brilliance.

I still believe Italy and the Dutch will make it through. Need some changes in the midfield big time for the Italians. I expect de Rossi to get some time, as well.
Both France and Romania did not impress at all. Although, Romania's defense was pretty solid. They did not really amount any sold scoring chances, though.

I like Spain tomorrow over Russia...1-0

Greece and Sweden to a 1-1 draw.

algunz
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the point drive1life, but after today's match Italy is gonna need a lot more than that.

idrive1life
06-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Sweden 1 - Greece 0

Hopeless Semantic
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
How in the world did Greece win the last Euro Cup? I didn't see any of the matches back then, but tha'ts pretty insane for them to topple some of the better teams.

algunz
06-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Greece winning the last cup was a bit of a heartbreaker. They won't survive past the first bracket this time.

algunz
06-10-2008, 07:41 AM
UEFA: Van Nistelrooy's goal wasn't offside

Updated: June 10, 2008, 7:35 AM EST

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - Ruud van Nistelrooy's opening goal in the Netherlands' 3-0 win over Italy at the European Championship was correctly awarded by the referee, UEFA said Tuesday.

Van Nistelrooy was at least a meter (yard) closer to goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon than any Italy defender on the field when he deflected teammate Giovanni van Bronckhorst's shot into the net in the 26th minute of Monday's Group C match in Bern, Switzerland. However, Italy defender Christian Panucci had earlier collided with Buffon and lay outside the field next to the goal when Van Nistelrooy scored.

"The goal was not offside because in addition to the Italian goalkeeper, there was another Italian player in front of the goal scorer. And even though that player at the time had actually fallen off the pitch, his position was still relevant for the purposes of the offside law," said UEFA general secretary David Taylor, quoting Law 11 in football's rule book to justify referee Peter Frojdfeldt's decision to award the goal.

"This is a widely known interpretation of the offside law among referees, but it's not generally known among the wider football public."

Taylor said the law has to be applied this way otherwise teams could intentionally leave the field to catch opposing attackers offside.

"If you didn't have this interpretation then what could happen is the defending team could use the tactic of stepping off the pitch deliberately to play players offside, and that clearly is unacceptable," he said. "The simplest, the most effective, the most practical interpretation of the law is the one that is adopted by referees."

Taylor said a similar incident occurred in a Swiss league match between Sion and FC Basel last season, causing the Swiss media to quickly realize that Monday's incident was a valid goal.

"They understood the situation entirely clearly because they had this discussion about a month or two ago," Taylor said. "So, the Swiss media was very quickly onto this and said, 'No, no, this goal was entirely, correctly, and validly awarded."'

Italy striker Luca Toni received a yellow card from Frojdfeldt for complaining about the goal. Taylor said the player's caution would not be rescinded, and that high-profile examples of the offside law like this will serve to educate the ignorant.

"This goal was controversial because most people are not aware of the law - and I would extend that to many people in the football world, including players - but there is no real debate here," Taylor said. "The goal was valid, the dissent was not."

Wesley Sneijder and Van Bronckhort added other goals Monday at Stade de Suisse, also known as the Wankdorf, to inflict the World Cup champions' worst defeat in a quarter century.

It was Italy's biggest loss since Oct. 15, 1983, when the team was beaten 3-0 by Sweden in Naples in a European Championship qualifier. Italy's biggest loss at the final tournament came in the 1988 semifinals when the Soviet Union won 2-0.

downingthief
06-10-2008, 08:05 AM
That explains it. Thanks for posting, Gunz.

Hopeless Semantic
06-10-2008, 08:06 AM
I think one of Podolski's goals was more offsides than the Dutch goal...

algunz
06-10-2008, 10:20 AM
What was the final for Spain vs. Russia?

That 2nd goal was beautiful.

Hopeless Semantic
06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Espana 4-1

From the looks of it, Spain is on a mission lol.

algunz
06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Oh shit. That must have been a fun 2nd half.

Damn you job!!!!

downingthief
06-10-2008, 10:24 AM
4-1 Spain. Villa scored 3, Fabregas 1.

Wow...what a display. Russia is no easy task. Huge statement from the Spaniards.

And, Gunz...you have officially gone way up in my book. Love it when the ladies enjoy their footie! :)

Hopeless Semantic
06-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Spain vs. Netherlands? Ooh...can Spain meet up with Portugal for the battle of the Ibana penninsula?

algunz
06-10-2008, 10:37 AM
And, Gunz...you have officially gone way up in my book. Love it when the ladies enjoy their footie! :)

Thanks. The sad thing is that I'm not only the only girl in the pub watching the match, but I'm the only frickin' person. It's ridiculous how much Americans suck with their choices.

Hopeless Semantic
06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks. The sad thing is that I'm not only the only girl in the pub watching the match, but I'm the only frickin' person. It's ridiculous how much Americans suck with their choices.

I've been the only American in pubs watching futbol too. I don't know if it'll ever get big here, but its slowly coming along--emphasis on SLOWLY...

betao
06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
so Greece vs Sweeden is starting. Should be a good game.

Damn, I should watch this more often.

downingthief
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Think this will end up a draw, but I like the Swedes to get out of the group with Spain.

algunz
06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Please post a score at half time.

betao
06-10-2008, 11:21 AM
35th minute so far, and its 0-0. Sweeden came close a couple of mins ago.

betao
06-10-2008, 11:33 AM
halftime, still 0-0

i'm calling Sweeden 2-1, or 2-0.

downingthief
06-10-2008, 11:34 AM
0-0 half

Nice chance at the end for the Swedes. Cross was just a touch too high for a header.

betao
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
yea seriously. Greece hasn't been trying as hard as sweeden. They better step their game up in the 2nd half.

orbit
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Greece is playing as expected. focusing more in the defensive tactics. that's how they won the past euro.

algunz
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
And that's why they're so boring to watch.

TomAz
06-10-2008, 11:52 AM
boring soccer. imagine that.

downingthief
06-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Sigh...There's just no pleasing you, is there Tom?

betao
06-10-2008, 12:16 PM
2-0, Sweeden taking a swift lead.

that first goal was just beautiful.

74th minute.

orbit
06-10-2008, 12:16 PM
And that's why they're so boring to watch.

I thought you weren't watching the game.

I don't think they want to give an entertaining game, anyway. they didn't four years ago, and won the tournament.

now that sweden scored, greece is forced to attack.

betao
06-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Greece is playing as expected. focusing more in the defensive tactics. that's how they won the past euro.

i hope they change up their strategy then, because it's not really working for them right now.

TomAz
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I918tUSNiA4

orbit
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
yeah, that's the problem with a too defensive team. they usually wait for a mistake of the rival team in order to counterattack, score, and be defensive again. but when the other team score first, they don't have too many people to put a good and fast attack.

TomAz
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
AneWHvQ4g-o&NR=1

-A4zvI5pHlc&NR=1

algunz
06-10-2008, 01:16 PM
I thought you weren't watching the game.

I don't think they want to give an entertaining game, anyway. they didn't four years ago, and won the tournament.

I wasn't watching and it's killing me.

idrive1life
06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
4-1 Spain. Villa scored 3, Fabregas 1.

Wow...what a display. Russia is no easy task. Huge statement from the Spaniards.

Agreed on all counts.

idrive1life
06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Life is beautiful. All my favorites / picks are winning. *Knocking on wood*

Hopeless Semantic
06-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Go Portugal!

idrive1life
06-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Portugal 3 - Czech Republic 1

Hopeless Semantic
06-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Idrive you're cool...

Well, except for the Celtics part...

idrive1life
06-10-2008, 02:48 PM
haha thanks. I'll turn it off for you. just this post, okay? ;)

Switzerland 1 - Turkey 0

Hopeless Semantic
06-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Haha.

I do agree that the Suisse will take the match from Turkey, but I say 2-0. It's been a while since the host team hasn't made it to the 2nd round, I think?
There is two chances to make it and I think the Suisse have the better shot.

algunz
06-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I just caught the second half of today's Spain vs. Russia game. Although the Russians were rather sloppy and their goalie had better be feelin' pretty shitty, their goal is one of the prettiest I've seen so far.

I wish Portugal was playing second tomorrow, because I will actually be able to see the 2nd half of a game live finally. I don't have my hopes up for too much excitement b/w the Suisse & Turkey. No worries though, I'll be liftin' my Guinness in support regardless.

downingthief
06-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I think the Swiss will win, but just 1-0. Not a ton of firepower from the Swiss, and Turkey's defense can be stingy.

Portugal should handle the Czechs. I say another clean sheet for Ricardo. 2-0.

orbit
06-10-2008, 08:26 PM
I hope the czechs play as they know. last game was pretty bad. or even if they play bad, I hope they win.

Spain showed a nice game today. But to be fair Russia made some silly mistakes, so let's see how Spain plays against a more solid team.

boarderwoozel3
06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Zlatan is the man.

I'm calling Ronnie to net and Turkey to win.

gmoneyak
06-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm glad Spain came out with some punch once again this year, they just need to maintain it. They started strong at the last World Cup only the flame out by the second round. Torres and Villa have to be the fastest striker tandem in the entire tournament. If the defense holds up, (mainly Puyol who lacks pace), they'll be a strong contender for the title.

I'm glad Zlatan got the goal today, he's always been one of my favorites. When healthy, the guy is still one of the best strikers in the world and a dynamic player. Dude has just been killed w/injuries over the last couple years.

1CrO82dR1RQ

I'm also stoked that Greece got burned today, I hate teams that solely rely on counterattacks then bog down in a defensive shell to hide their shortcomings. Didn't they basically win the last Euro's by posting 4 consecutive 1-0 victories?

A couple other notes:

- ESPN360 is the shit

- I'm also really enjoying the coverage overall of this year's Euros. The last fucking World Cup telecast was a joke. The commentary is better now and being able to see the pre-game festivities is a nice bonus. The national anthems are always a cool sight, especially when you have each team's thousands of fans singing along in unison with the players.

betao
06-10-2008, 10:02 PM
- I'm also really enjoying the coverage overall of this year's Euros. The last fucking World Cup telecast was a joke. The commentary is better now and being able to see the pre-game festivities is a nice bonus. The national anthems are always a cool sight, especially when you have each team's thousands of fans singing along in unison with the players.

I didnt think the coverage for the 06 world cup was that bad. It was nice to see them show every game, something I was almost surprised at.

It's alot better than the amount of coverage it got, say, 10 years ago.

Hopeless Semantic
06-10-2008, 10:43 PM
It is so much better than it was in previous incarnations, so that's good for those who follow it closely. Also, the ESPN 360 is awesome in its coverage. Perhaps the better coverage will lead to more fans in our country. With the way basketball has been coming under fire, it may have made me more of a futbol fan.

With that being said, that David Villa kid is straight out vicious.

gmoneyak
06-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I didnt think the coverage for the 06 world cup was that bad. It was nice to see them show every game, something I was almost surprised at.

It's alot better than the amount of coverage it got, say, 10 years ago.

Having access to all the games was cool, but you could tell that ESPN was a lil' "green" on how to cover the overall spectacle. Their knowledge of playing styles amongst teams and familiarity of players was also lacking.

It seems to be a lil' more polished now.

I really like some the camera views they have in play now. The skycam shot that zooms down dead center towards the midline, during the kickoff, is sick! It looks like a fucking video game.

betao
06-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Having access to all the games was cool, but you could tell that ESPN was a lil' "green" on how to cover the overall spectacle. Their knowledge of playing styles amongst teams and familiarity of players was also lacking.

It seems to be a lil' more polished now.

I really like some the camera views they have in play now. The skycam shot that zooms down dead center towards the midline, during the kickoff, is sick! It looks like a fucking video game.

Yeah I guess I see what you mean about them being a bit "green" about coverage. But maybe that will progress throughout the rest of the tournament, as the commentators familiarize themselves a bit more. And yeah the camera angles are pretty sweet, I was very impressed with some of the aerial shots.

boarderwoozel3
06-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Being able to see every game is great. I've all of the 16 goals scored in the tournament live. The best is debatable but the ugliest is definitely Sweden’s 2nd.

CuervoPH
06-11-2008, 03:52 AM
I am enjoying the coverage so far also, and it's amusing to me when they have to work in the NBA Playoff plugs, especially Tommy Smyth referring to the Celtics as Celtic, and Andy Gray picking the Lakers to win it all because he's a former Rangers player and refuses to cheer for any team with Celtic in the name.

It was also good to see Spain get a convincing (for the most part) win, but as has been mentioned above, their defense did look a bit shaky at times and it bothers me that the woodwork made almost as many saves as the goalkeeper.

downingthief
06-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Only thing I don't like about the coverage (and I know this is nitpicking), is that the commentators are in Connecticut, not in Europe. I really enjoy the coverage when they are there, because they can comment on the crowd, things in the stadium, etc.
I hope for at least the final, they will polny up the funds to get them over there.

downingthief
06-11-2008, 09:54 AM
3-1 Portugal. Huge. The favorites so far have really stepped up. This is shaping up to be one Hell of a pending quarterfinal round.

algunz
06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Awesome. I'll have to catch this one later today. Did the Czechs hold their own or was it a pretty one sided match?

betao
06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Switzerland is beating Turkey 1-0. 34th minute, a beautiful goal scored about 2 minutes ago.

and man thats some rough weather to play in.

betao
06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
and they almost now scored again. sooo close.

algunz
06-11-2008, 11:21 AM
It's still raining?

That sure does make for some fun slides when you're goin' after the ball.

betao
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
it does.

back when I played, playing in the rain was soo much fun. slide tackling was the thing to do. the entire field is one big slip n slide.

algunz
06-11-2008, 11:29 AM
I've got 10 minutes until the last bell rings. I am heading directly to the pub to catch the 2nd half of the match. Guiness here I come!!!

betao
06-11-2008, 11:32 AM
halftime, still 1-0 with Switzerland in the lead.

wonder how much rain will fall in the 2nd half.

TomAz
06-11-2008, 11:50 AM
wondering about how much it will rain > watching poofty europeans run around a big green grassy park in shorts, kicking a ball around

(Sean you know I'm just doing this for your benefit.)

betao
06-11-2008, 12:02 PM
wondering about how much it will rain > watching poofty europeans run around a big green grassy park in shorts, kicking a ball around

sir i'd actually beg to differ.

downingthief
06-11-2008, 12:39 PM

(Sean you know I'm just doing this for your benefit.)

Thanks Tom...glad you are thinking of me.

downingthief
06-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Awesome. I'll have to catch this one later today. Did the Czechs hold their own or was it a pretty one sided match?

It was fairly one sided, from what I saw. Portugal pretty much had their way, other than the one goal.

Turkey!!! Wow...what a finish. Feel bad for the Swiss, as they were really unfortunate in the first round. That last shot was a fantastic strike.

orbit
06-11-2008, 12:49 PM
it does.

back when I played, playing in the rain was soo much fun. slide tackling was the thing to do. the entire field is one big slip n slide.

it doesn't. well, it does if you are playing with friends in the park just to kill time, but if you are playing a tournament/official game, playing in rain sucks. frustrating.

anyway, turkey made a good game, didn't they? that last goal was pretty awesome. I didn't watch the portugal-czech game, but from what I've read looks like the czechs are not in their full potential yet. I feel that Portugal is playing good only with "small" teams. Let's see if they keep it for the big games.

Hopeless Semantic
06-11-2008, 12:53 PM
You can pretty much say that about any of the teams with maybe the exception of the Dutch. I mean, they did play an Italian side that didn't have Carnavalo(sp?) so perhaps the questions will be asked in the one and done round. I think, though, it is still possibly wide open with anywhere between 4-5 teams with legit shots at taking home the trophy.

So the Turkiye won? I saw the equalizer while @ lunch and it was a beautiful header.

Bud Luster
06-11-2008, 03:32 PM
The Friday schedule is fucking insane (trying to use the word fuck in all my posts today) NDL vs FRA, ROM vs ITL, group of death indeed.

algunz
06-11-2008, 03:33 PM
It was fairly one sided, from what I saw. Portugal pretty much had their way, other than the one goal.

The Czechs had some good attempts. I don't know if I'd call it completely one sided. Portugal's last goal though was a total breakdown in the Czech's defense. It was almost sad.

Hopeless Semantic
06-11-2008, 07:08 PM
If anyone missed the Portugal vs. Czech Republic match today, (like I did), it is on ESPN 2 right now on the West Coast.

downingthief
06-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Cool, thanks. I caught only snippets of it (I've been pulling the live streams up at work...playing with fire, I am).

Hopeless Semantic
06-11-2008, 08:03 PM
No problema. I'm learning more and more about the game as I grow to like it. I mean, I've watched games before, but not like I have for the last World Cup and this year's Euro Cup. I mean, for the world cup I would wake up early to catch the matches! Unfortunately, I work too early to catch the early matches. I still have the Chelsea vs. Manchester U. match on my dvr.

algunz
06-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Isn't the Portuguese coach gonna be taking over Chelsea? Or is it another team?

gmoneyak
06-12-2008, 01:57 AM
Turkey really showed some resiliency, that last goal was deserving. The Swiss are just really lacking in firepower after thier best player, (Frei) went down last week. That's a shame..

I thought that Czech-Portugal game was a lot closer than the final score indicated. They were basically neck and neck 'til the 63rd minute, the Czechs just missed taking the lead minutes before Ronaldo scored. That was a sick goal.

I like Portugal, but I really think Ferraria is going to get exposed sooner than later. I'd rather see Miguel at right back, better speed and more adept at pushing the ball up into offense. (He's a stud for Valencia, one of my fav. teams in La Liga). I also became more of a fan for Portugal after they continued to sub in more strikers tonight, rather than play conservative with a 2-1 lead.

Interested to see what Germany shows tomorrow.

CuervoPH
06-12-2008, 02:32 AM
It'll also be interesting to see if Kuryani gets the start over Gomez. I don't expect Podolski will sit after scoring 2 in the first match, but I'd think you'd want Kuryani in the starting 11 at some point.

Hopeless Semantic
06-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Isn't the Portuguese coach gonna be taking over Chelsea? Or is it another team?

Scolari is slated to become the new leader of the Blues after July 1st. I'm surprised they announced it prior to the end of the Portuguese run in the Euro Cup '08. I wonder if it was a plan by Abrahamovic to get Ronaldo's attention since there is still speculation about him staying @ Old Trafford. Who knows though, but good luck to him.

algunz
06-12-2008, 07:35 AM
I agree. I was totally surprised that they would release that information before the end of the tournament.

Anywho, Germany against Croatia should be a good match up. I'm gonna give it to Croatia, because I hate the Germans. : )

Hopeless Semantic
06-12-2008, 07:51 AM
I agree. I was totally surprised that they would release that information before the end of the tournament.

Anywho, Germany against Croatia should be a good match up. I'm gonna give it to Croatia, because I hate the Germans. : )

Isn't it weird? I mean, I don't like the Germans but its almost an inherently there. Like if you're a fan of soccer--you side with anyone ze Germans are playing.

algunz
06-12-2008, 07:53 AM
There's just something about them and their fans that have always rubbed me the wrong way. I can safely say it has nothing to do with their history. It is completely personal. My brother's bitchy ex- wife is German.

Hopeless Semantic
06-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah its totally soccer-related and not in regards to the history. I don't relate it at least to history, but it is interesting that I don't like Germany. I mean, maybe it was watching the robotic-like games that were played by West Germany and East Germany in the 70's. Just something about them that makes you root against them.

The ex-wife factor is always a good thing to dislike something lol.

boarderwoozel3
06-12-2008, 08:06 AM
It sucks that Eduardo is injured, he would have been a fun player to watch.

downingthief
06-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Looking forward to the Germany-Croatia match today. Might have to take a long lunch today.

Prediction is 2-1 ze Germans. Just too much talent.

Hopeless Semantic
06-12-2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah I think without Eduardo, the Croatians won't be able to scratch enough against Deutchland.

Who's going in the 2nd match? The Dutch and French?

boarderwoozel3
06-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Its all group B today. Poland v Austria.

But I can't wait for group C tomorrow! My fav.

downingthief
06-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Wow...what a display so far by the Croats! Fist half they completely dominated.

Hopeless Semantic
06-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Wow...what a display so far by the Croats! First half they completely dominated.

What's the score?

downingthief
06-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Final now. 2-1 Coratia.

Podolski added another goal to his tally, but the Croats hung on. Germany really looked frustrated all match up front, especially Ballack. The Croatian defense was collapsing well.

Makes the next match huge for Poland, or Austria. Croatia is in the next round. Germany still has 3 points, with Poland and Austria at 0 going into their match.

Been a great Euros so far!

Hopeless Semantic
06-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow that's pretty cool the Croatians won! It might come down to goal differential in the next math, eh?

orbit
06-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm going for Czech Republic again, and Croatia as the great surprise..

:)

algunz
06-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't know who to side with between Austria and Poland. Maybe Poland because I like sausage.

Hopeless Semantic
06-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Austria is like, Germany lite--so I'll go for Polska to win this one. Probably 1-0 on a goal in the 2nd half.

algunz
06-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Germany lite - lol

downingthief
06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
That would be a great story, but I just don't see it happening. Austria wouldn't be anywhere near this tourney if they weren't co-hosting.

Poland 1-0

Hopeless Semantic
06-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Polska!!

boarderwoozel3
06-12-2008, 11:16 AM
The Austrian forwards are awful. How many 1 on 1 chances with the keeper can you squander? …the count rises. But in all fairness Bourc is a damn good goalie.

1-0 Poland, game over.

downingthief
06-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Pretty much. I do like the heart of the Austrian side, though. They are really putting everything they can into it. Just severely lacking the talent.

downingthief
06-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Holy Crap!

What a finish...foul called on Poland in the box during stoppage time. Austria gets the penalty kick and drives it home.

1-1 Draw

That helps Germany big time. If they win against Austria, they are in.

boarderwoozel3
06-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh snap. I spoke too soon.

Although that was a really weak penalty. Even so, the defender needs to get his head out of his ass and not grab jerseys, especially in the box, especially with under 30 seconds left in the match... idiot.

Hopeless Semantic
06-12-2008, 01:53 PM
What a finish by the Austrians...Poor Polska...lol

algunz
06-12-2008, 04:46 PM
1-1 Draw

That helps Germany big time. If they win against Austria, they are in.

Germany against Austria!! That's gonna be great. I may have to take Monday afternoon off.

orbit
06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I'd save those days off requests for more interesting games.

boarderwoozel3
06-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah, Austria is in over their heads against ze Germans.

Tomorrow is the group to take-off work for. The Azzurri v Romania followed by the Dutch v Les Bleus. Fucking awesome.

algunz
06-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Wow...what a display so far by the Croats! Fist half they completely dominated.

That's what she said . . .

algunz
06-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Tomorrow is the group to take-off work for. The Azzurri v Romania followed by the Dutch v Les Bleus. Fucking awesome.

I agree and it's killing me. It's the end of the school year, so actually teaching is a waste. I'd love to be able to show the games in my classroom, but we don't have cable on campus. I may have to get coverage on a couple of classes, so I can see Italy. We'll see.

gmoneyak
06-13-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm glad I don't work 'til 2p tomorrow.

Muahahahaha..

gmoneyak
06-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Whoa.. this Italy-Romaina match is really getting exciting, two goals within 3 minutes of each other.

1-1 in the 56th minute. What a quick response by Italy after Romania stunned them with that first goal.

algunz
06-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Aaah . . . I always miss the good stuff. I saw the first half and it was so frustrating. Italy just couldn't get anything in. It was almost comical.

Please keep posting updates. Thanks, g.

gmoneyak
06-13-2008, 09:29 AM
It's pretty sweet.. As soon as that first goal was scored, (on an Italian fuckup on D), this game has really opened up. Back and forth chances now, someone is definitely coming away as the winner from this one.

This is the most Italy has pushed forward all tournament, Romainia is looking dangerous on their counterattacks.

gmoneyak
06-13-2008, 09:44 AM
HOLY SHIT!!

Romaina gets awarded a penaly kick and Buffon saves it!! Insane! This all came moments after Italy had about 4 chances to score with the Romainan goalie making a couple stellar saves of his own. Awesome match right now.

Still tied..

gmoneyak
06-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Well a draw is the result, I wish the 2nd half could've lasted another 10 minutes. Italy is still alive, their 3rd match against France is going to be huge.

Netherlands - France is next!

joeinthebox
06-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Allez Les Bleus!!!

France 1-0

although, considering the Netherlands 3-0 win over Italy ... that might be optimistic.

Hopeless Semantic
06-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Go Dutch! I mean it, go Dutch!

boarderwoozel3
06-13-2008, 12:21 PM
The Dutch are taking the group of death!!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHAHAHAHA-YES!

Bring on Sweden! (and yes, it will be Sweden)

This has been the most entertaining game of the touney thus far, by far.

pinguinotonto
06-13-2008, 12:41 PM
MERDE! It's ok France will beat Italy. And at first I thought Romania was gonna beat the Netherlands but at this point I'm not sure it's possible for the Dutch to lose especially with Goian suspended for the next game Romania's defense won't be the same.
Just a musical side note; at the end of the French game the French TV. station plays Time to Pretend by MGMT

boarderwoozel3
06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah, the Dutch are as "in form" as a team can be. And while the Italy v France game is good on paper, I'm not sure how quality the football will be. (like I'm not going to watch :rolleyes )

The French station playing MGMT is comedy.

CuervoPH
06-13-2008, 12:55 PM
I was only able to get home in time to see the last 20 or so minutes of the France v Netherlands match. Even though France managed to create a chance or two while I was watching (Makalele slipping and falling when a ball landed right in front of him in the box springs to mind), the Dutch seemed to be pretty much dominating them. Was this the case the whole match?

pinguinotonto
06-13-2008, 01:08 PM
France actually dominated a pretty good portion of the game, but were just unable to finish (as is the usual french game). The dutch were just really dominating, I think Anelka is the one that slipped.
Domenech = DUMBASS

downingthief
06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
The French had some good chances. Henry missed a golden opportunity in the 2nd half that easily could have changed things.
Van Der Sar had some key saves for the Dutch, too.
Overall, a very impressive showing from the Orange. Italy and France need some help from Netherlands now. But, who will take the pitch in a meaningless match?

On the Italy match, they definitely got robbed on the offside call for Toni. Clearly was on. Very tough break.

pinguinotonto
06-13-2008, 01:16 PM
The games were pretty much decided by faulty calls by the refs. Italy would have most likely won with that early goal by Toni.
And if we would have had that PK and scored france things would have been much different in the 2nd game.
And yeh i'm worried that the Dutch are just gonna give the game away so that Romania gets through. It's safer than letting Italy or France move on into the next round.

algunz
06-13-2008, 01:36 PM
On the Italy match, they definitely got robbed on the offside call for Toni. Clearly was on. Very tough break.

Yes, that call was BULLSHIT.

Btw, what is up with Ribery's face? Was he burned? Are those skin grafts?

algunz
06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
What was the final score of the 2nd game? Were there any goals in the 2nd half?

Hopeless Semantic
06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
He's had those since the World Cup, no? I don't know but maybe he's getting facial work done.

algunz
06-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I never noticed the scars before. I guess I just wasn't paying attention.

Hopeless Semantic
06-13-2008, 01:43 PM
If I remember correctly, he did get burned as a juvenile or something like that. I know they had a little ditty on him during the Cup in '06, but I'm not entirely sure. If anyone can validate that then great and if I'm wrong I do apologize beforehand.

downingthief
06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Not sure on the scars.

Gunz, final was 4-1.

pinguinotonto
06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
He was in a Car Accident when he was two and slammed into the windshield.

Hopeless Semantic
06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the clarification tonto...I knew I wasn't trippin'

Bud Luster
06-13-2008, 02:28 PM
I was gonna quote my quoted quote, but I figure you all get the point. I expect the Italy vs France match be down and fucking dirty.

downingthief
06-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Agreed. That one will be epic.

I'm looking forward to the Spain-Sweden clash tomorrow. I expect that match to be very spirited.

Down Rodeo
06-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Oh, the Dutch are playing so sick right now. They're just a pleasure to watch. I think they're now officially my team to win the tournament, although I'm partial to the Spanish as well. That match tomorrow should be great.

orbit
06-13-2008, 04:58 PM
my teams to win the tournament are croatia and romania. or at least I hope one of them will make it to semi finals.

netherlands are playing pretty well, but I don't want any of the big ones to win this.

algunz
06-13-2008, 05:04 PM
That's just not gonna happen, orbit. But I relate. I usually support the little guys too. Honestly though, I could care less who takes it all. I just love world-class soccer.

gmoneyak
06-13-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm still waiting for the Netherlands' D to be tested, France and Italy weren't exactly offensively minded challengers. That being said, the Dutch look strong. Their overall team speed is impressive, especially w/Van Persie and Robben now in the mix.

Hopeless Semantic
06-13-2008, 11:51 PM
I think I've settled on Portugal...

I don't know why, but I'll root for them. Maybe its cuz Cristiano Ronaldo is soooo dreamy lol.

gmoneyak
06-14-2008, 09:55 AM
WHOA, Villa gets the last second goal to beat Sweden... What a goal!!

Sweden really frustrated Spain today with thier defense, Spain held about a 70% - 30% advantage in possession throughout but had a lot of trouble breaking through until the end.

Spain 2 - Sweden 1 final

CuervoPH
06-14-2008, 09:58 AM
That is the way to finish a match. I thought for sure it was going to end in a draw. As mentioned above, Sweden's defense was really frustrating Spain. Plus, Ramos and Silva were doing things that had me shaking my head.

It's a tough way for Sweden to lose, but that last goal was brilliant.

Hopeless Semantic
06-14-2008, 10:01 AM
In reality, it should've been 3-1...

That gregarious lack of a call before the half by the refs denied David Villa a chance to have had 2 goals today

Another observation by me is that Torres needs to stop trying to hog the glory on the play where the Swede goalkeeper got knocked in the face, Torres had a Spaniard on his right who would've beaten the defense for the goal. Also, the Spanish team is really small...

davrone
06-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm rooting for The Netherlands. Greece and Italy have disappointed me...

Hopeless Semantic
06-14-2008, 10:25 AM
So both of my teams made it through to the 2nd round (Spain and Portugal) and look to move even further into the tourney.

Hopeless Semantic
06-14-2008, 11:45 AM
The score is 1-0 Russia over the defending Euro Cup champs, Greece. It might as well be 987-0 with the way Greece plays. I have never seen a goalie be so idiotic as the Greek goalie when he chased a ball that his defense had a bead on out of the goal's mouth. Simply irresponsible and the Greek side will not be making it out of the first round.

It is the first time a defending Euro Cup champion has failed to make it out of the opening stage. However, no champion has successfully defended its title either, so it looks like that'll hold sway as well.

pinguinotonto
06-14-2008, 12:10 PM
It doesn't really matter because Greece never deserved to win the Euro Cup in the first place.

Hopeless Semantic
06-14-2008, 12:40 PM
What do you mean? They did what they had to, to win. Yes they did it with an ugly style, but that means the other teams didn't do what they had to do to eliminate the Greek. That's a bitter thing to say. Portugal didn't finish when they had to in '04 and the Greek did. Get over the resentment and enjoy '08, not '04.

boarderwoozel3
06-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Greece remind me of Chelsea, painfully boring to watch. Winning doesn't always translate into attractive football.

As for Domenech, he is an idiot. They've got great offensive players but his system is too conservative. But outside of Ribery and Malouda--who are basically forwards on the wing but haven‘t delivered-- France needs a creative attacking central mid ala Zidane. Makelele and Viera are aging, holding mids and the right side of defense has been a problem with the aging Thuram and Sagnol. France is great on paper but on the pitch their aging and the system doesn’t fit the personnel.

Its crummy that Ribery was in a car wreck as a kid but something tells me he would have been kicked anyway…

Go Netherlands!

Hopeless Semantic
06-15-2008, 11:39 AM
So that's what Zydrunas Ilgauskas does in his offseason...oh wait, that Jan Koller scoring with the header. Czech Rep. up 1-0 on the Turks in a do-or-die 1st round match-up. Winner gets to take on Croatia in the round of 8.

Hopeless Semantic
06-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Wow. The Turkey-Czech Rep. game takes the cake as the best so far in the Euro Cup 2008! Turkiye came back from 2-0 to tie it in the last 10 minutes of the 2nd half. The first goal was insane but the second one was a thing of beauty by Nyhad. Holy shit! Turkey just scored another goal to go ahead!!

boarderwoozel3
06-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Those Turks just further fucked my predictions...damn. Great comeback though.

algunz
06-15-2008, 01:28 PM
It doesn't say much to not have Volkan in the goal for the next match. What an idiot!!!

betao
06-15-2008, 03:24 PM
off topic-ish, but did anyone just see the USA/Barbados massacre? Damn that was brutal.

Poor Barbados.

CuervoPH
06-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah. I was expecting something along the lines of 5-0. That result was surprising. It could easily have been worse.

edit: It was made even worse because I had just watched the Turkey v. Czech Republic match, which was probably one of the most exciting matches I've seen so far in the Euro 2008 competition. I am glad the US played to the level they did, but after a great match earlier, it was kind of boring watching a massacre.

gmoneyak
06-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Yeah, the CONCACAF is horrible. US and Mexico could play their U17's and still dominate the region.

Hopeless Semantic
06-15-2008, 06:56 PM
8-0 was the final score, right? I saw it in passing and was like wow. Did they pick up the people who serve conch and make puka shell necklaces in Barbados to play soccer?

suprefan
06-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Yeah, the CONCACAF is horrible. US and Mexico could play their U17's and still dominate the region.

Mexico is not in top form by any means right now......

gmoneyak
06-15-2008, 07:01 PM
They'll still get 2nd place in the region.

Hopeless Semantic
06-15-2008, 07:13 PM
That's not really saying much. Who else in the CONCACAF even remotely has a chance to take 1st or 2nd?

boarderwoozel3
06-16-2008, 12:16 AM
8-0 was the final score, right? I saw it in passing and was like wow. Did they pick up the people who serve conch and make puka shell necklaces in Barbados to play soccer?

The final was 11-0, yes 11-0. Ouch. And they still have to play the second leg.

Am I the only one who thinks Sven-Göran Eriksson is an odd hire for Mexico?

CuervoPH
06-16-2008, 03:49 AM
(The final of the match I watched yesterday was 8-0. I believe 11-0 was the aggregate score of the last time the US faced Barbados in qualifying.)

sonofhal
06-16-2008, 06:18 AM
I only saw the second half of the Turkey game, but WOW!

gaypalmsprings
06-16-2008, 06:25 AM
http://fortunisoccer.com/micah_ani.gif