PDA

View Full Version : Yer Most Influential Band

bmack86
06-04-2008, 02:32 AM
The band you loved as a kid. The band that you still listen to as an adult. The band that really inspired you to love music. I know there are tons of bands that can inspire these feelings at any given time, but I know, for my part, R.E.M. were that band. They're the first distinct musical memory I have (listening to Out of Time while driving through the Mojave Desert in '91). My first kiss was during an R.E.M. song, they were the first tape I ever bought, and definitely my first musical love. Anyone else have a band that follows them as perfectly and as completely?

jazzz
06-04-2008, 02:38 AM
The Cure- Talk Talk- Cabaret Voltaire- Throbbing Gristle- Yello- Soft Cell-The The- Chameleons- The Specials

PassiveTheory
06-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Um... I kinda grew up on an old radio station that would play, like, motown stuff and what-not... The first CD I ever owned was a freakin' Linkin Park CD, so I can only track my progress about... 6-7 years, tops.

I really want to say that the first band to inspire me to love music instead of just be angry and frustrated through it was probably Interpol. I mean, my first distinct musical memory I can think back to is driving in the car to swim practice and listening to the Yardbirds and the Temptations (the oldies station here was pretty eclectic), and then it goes to watching the "One Step Closer" music video on MTV for the first time. But I don't really feel like I can tie anything before I got into Interpol to my life. (that or I subconsciously don't want to)

I just remember watching the music video for "Slow Hands" and being in awe of what I was listening to. I got Antics, I ditched the stupid fucking Slipknot beanie and tossed out my Metallica and Disturbed t-shirts, and pretty much fell in love.

I definitely remember putting songs off of Antics on my first mix CD for this girl who got me into the Pixies, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, and the Faint (by virtue of a mixtape she gave me), and maybe some Muse too... Christ, 5 years seems like such a long time, but it's not.

I guess I can't really say I've grown up with a band, or that there's just ONE that truly defines me. I mean, sure, Interpol fits the timeline, so do Death Cab for Cutie and Rilo Kiley, but I don't just have one.

Besides, if my 13 year old self were told that his 19 year old self would be into techno and electronic music, he'd be on the floor laughing his ass off.

jazzz
06-04-2008, 02:51 AM
PT I fucking love Interpol... One of my favorite new artist. I have to get you some Chameleons now that I know you love Interpol. btw The singer Mark Burgess is Tim Burgess older brother

PassiveTheory
06-04-2008, 02:53 AM
The Chameleons, The Charlatans UK (Tim Burgess' band), and Kitchens of Distinction are the three I hear in conjunction with Interpol all the time.

Also, The Boxer is my favorite track off of the Chem Bros' Push the Button, so I'm inclined to hear what you've got.

fikus222
06-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Nirvana, Soundgarden, NIN, the Orb and Morphine were very influential in the evolution of my music tastes.

They were followed by Radiohead, PHISH and Rave music of all kinds (primarily Jungle and House).

jazzz
06-04-2008, 03:00 AM
The Chameleons, The Charlatans UK (Tim Burgess' band), and Kitchens of Distinction are the three I hear in conjunction with Interpol all the time.

Also, The Boxer is my favorite track off of the Chem Bros' Push the Button, so I'm inclined to hear what you've got.

yeah a lot of people say Interpol sound like Joy Division but the also sound a lot like Chameleons UK... but bout the new Charlatans UK wow have you heard it? sounds fucking great think old Charlies New Order/Hooky bass dead good.

PassiveTheory
06-04-2008, 03:03 AM
I didn't mention the Joy Division comparison because it's incredibly cliche.

jazzz
06-04-2008, 03:06 AM
I didn't mention the Joy Division comparison because it's incredibly cliche.

thats exactly why I've said The Chameleons from day one and funny enough I find it in print now days.

luckyface
06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Pearl Jam - They got me into music.

Hopeless Semantic
06-04-2008, 08:42 AM
The Velvet Underground.

schoolofruckus
06-04-2008, 09:04 AM
U2. My dad brought home "Rattle and Hum" one day and I was enthralled. Then, when Green Day became huge and I wanted to buy that, my parents weren't down with me listening to a bunch of songs about smoking weed and beating off all day. So I went and bought "The Joshua Tree" instead. The fact that U2's work has covered everything from post punk to pop anthems to noisy alternative rock to ambient space suites to techno has significantly helped them stay important to me.

The other one is Sigur Ros. Without them, I wouldn't be here.

suprefan
06-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Radiohead - duh.. Being 11 and hearing Creep(yes like EVERYONE at the time) the first time just did it for me
U2 - Since I was a kid, I cant deny it
Depeche Mode - see above
80's Rap and Hip Hop - I thank my brother for that

MassiveChemicalPunk
06-04-2008, 09:08 AM
the Chemical Brothers.
Have been a fan since Exit Planet Dust and have awaited every cd release eagerly. This doesnt mean I only like electronic. In fact. I started off with RHCP, then Nirvana and Radiohead. Shortly after this came the Chems, and I love their music. I can listen to electrobank and it never gets old.

Honorable Mention:

Led Zeppelin.
My brother gave me their 4 cd "Best of" set for my 12th bday..... the best gift I have ever received.

BROKENDOLL
06-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Passive, if your 13 year old self is laughing at your 19 year old self for listening to electronic and techno music, can you imagine how hard my 13 year old self (Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Floyd) is laughing at my 48 year old self? (Daft Punk, Prodigy, Crystal Method, Pendulum, Chemical Bros, etc...) BTW, my 35 year old self wants to know where you tossed those Disturbed t-shirts since ours are pretty worn and we may need 'em for their upcoming tour.

algunz
06-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Led Zeppelin
Jane's Addiction
Moby

. . . in that order.

roberto73
06-04-2008, 09:22 AM
U2, R.E.M, and The Wedding Present remain three huge influences in my life. I used to be pretty enthralled with Morrissey and The Smiths, but they just haven't had the staying power of the other three. I still generally enjoy Morrissey's music, but I guess I've outgrown his histrionics.

TonyWonder
06-04-2008, 09:26 AM
1988 - The Sugarcubes - When I first heard Bjork's voice on Motorcrash, I was hooked. Got myself a copy of Life's Too Good (still have the tape!) and Bjork has been my single favorite artist ever since.

Later, a friends older sister loaded me up with stuff like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Depeche Mode, The Cure, NIN and Skinny Puppy. I ate it up.

Then Nirvana happened while I was 14 and I've been completely obsessed with music ever since.

sonofhal
06-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I have to get you some Chameleons now that I know you love Interpol. btw The singer Mark Burgess is Tim Burgess older brother

I'm pretty sure this is not true

BlackSwan
06-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Talking Heads>REM>Radiohead>DJ Shadow>Mouse on Mars>Thievery Corporation>LCD Soundsystem (most recently)

First Cassette = REM - Green

First CD = Radiohead - The Bends

First Kiss = Mouse on Mars - Cache Coeur Naif

i think that is enough...

PassiveTheory
06-04-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't see how you can pull off kissing to Mouse on Mars, so kudos to you, sir.

tessalasset
06-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Band my parents raised me listening to and subconsciously set the bar for everything I listen to: The Beatles

Band I got in to on my own who changed my life and who I credit with eventually turning me on to the whole coachella scene: Hanson

luckyface
06-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Band I got in to on my own who changed my life and who I credit with eventually turning me on to the whole coachella scene: Hanson

I am sorry, Tessa, but this just made me laugh out loud. It just sounds so funny.

BlackSwan
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't see how you can pull off kissing to Mouse on Mars, so kudos to you, sir.

top notch indeed, but I have to admit it wasn't their later noisey experimental stuff, it was the Cache Coeur Naif EP that kinda sounds like glitchy Air. here is one of the tracks if you haven't heard it... http://www.moteldemoka.com/moka/cachecoeurnaif.mp3

SoulDischarge
06-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Sonic Youth. Yes, I'm an indie rock cliche. I'm ok with that. I heard a track or two thanks to the internet and ended up blindly buying 5 cds of theirs at once for the hell of it. I know 3 of them were Dirty, Bad Moon Rising, and Confusion Is Sex. I hated CIS the first time I heard it, but got really into Dirty. Gradually, CIS became my favorite though, for awhile at least. I played it for my dad once. His first reaction was that it 'sounded like the Who' and his second reaction was to ask me if I was on drugs. So Sonic Youth broke open a lot of musical doors in my mind and led me to embrace a lot of new, weird stuff.

Second choice would probably be the Butthole Surfers, and third would be Cabaret Voltaire. CV sounds like what I would want my music to sound like if I actually made music. It reaches into some weird part of my subconscious that no other band touches. Except maybe Chrome in places.

sonofhal
06-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Pixies got me back into guitar music after a few years of listening to nothing but hip hop in my early teens, so a big thank you to them for that.

Mr.Nipples
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Black Flag
Television
Talking Heads
My Bloody Valentine
Sonic Youth
Neil Young
George Jones
Queen
a shitload of a.m. country

algunz
06-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Ah, I should have put Madness in there as they were the first band I discovered completely on my own -no parental or social influences. I remember flipping through records at our local record store and finding One Step Beyond. My life was never the same again.

nahuatldream
06-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Band my parents raised me listening to and subconsciously set the bar for everything I listen to: The Beatles

I'm the same, except change Hanson for Radiohead. Radiohead was the reason I finally decided I wanted to go to Coachella (I was born and raised in Coachella and had never seriously considered it). I wasn't able to go due to lack of money, but I went the next year and have been going since.

menikmati
06-04-2008, 11:06 AM
I was never inspired or influenced by my parents music choice (I actually have no clue about what kind of music my mom likes or grew up on). My dad was an old former hippy, so he had all the records of all the old 60's bands (all the big ones and some obscure ones) and 70's bands....but something happened, and when he met my mom, had me, and then moved back down to napa, it's like he just forgot all about that music, and turned to shitty ass country rock/pop, and I can remember sitting in his blazer or truck and driving along at 5,6,7,8 years old listening to shitty country songs/radio, and I hated it.

But thankfully, my parents divorced (I guess I can say that) and my dad met his g/f, and moved in with her, and then me and my younger sister moved in a year later...and his g/f had two daughters, both of whom are older...but her youngest daughter, whom we shared a room with (it was a cramped house), had a boombox, and one day started playing the SLTS cassette single (this was late 1991) and I fell in love with it, and would play it non stop and watch MTV waiting for the video. So yeah Nirvana was my first.

nahuatldream
06-04-2008, 11:09 AM
And you know what, now that I think about it a bit more, I should add another band to my list. Cafe Tacvba. I can still picture my first experience with them. They were on this Mexican Musical Variety show called "Siempre en Domingo". I don't even really remember what song it was. I think it was "Ingrata", but they were going crazy at this tianguis (swapmeet) in Mexico City. I was hooked on them at that exact moment.

TomAz
06-04-2008, 12:01 PM
i thought we were only supposed to name one band.

The Clash

they changed my life. which I know is a dreadful cliche' but it also happens to be true.

rage patton
06-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Rage Against The Machine, Gorillaz and Cake were the first 3 bands I really, really got into that I still listen too.
I remember when I was 12, I would have been in grade 7, I went over to my cousins house for some sort of family dinner. At this point, I had decided to stop listening to whatever radio station my mom put on in the car and start listened to the local rock station. What a rebel I was. Anyways, they were playing me this band... and I was completely ethralled with the bands energy and how raw and powerful it sounded. My cousin offered to burn me a copy of the CD and I glady accepted. The first CD I ever had burned for me was Rage Against The Machine's "Battles of Los Angeles." I don't think I have looked at music the same way again. Also, on a sad note, last year my cousin who burnt me the Rage CD died suddenly, and he was only 22. What I find to be a very sad coincidence, was that he died the day Rage were playing at Vegoose.
Sorry for that sad note... anyways. The Gorillaz first album was the very first album I ever bought with my own money. My mom was very upset with me because it had one of thoses dreaded "Parental Advisory" stickers on it. When I listened to album I was shocked to find every song didn't sound like "Clint Eastwood" and I wasn't sure what to think. But I grew to love it quite quickly and I still do... even more now I think.
Cake is another band I still love. Comfort Eagle was one of the first few CDs I bought and I loved it then and I love it now. There was, and still is, something so quirky about them that I love so much it is hard to explain. What I found odd about Cake is that none of my friends ever got into them. I burned most of the CDs I got for my friends, including Cake, but none of them got into. They all thought they were too "weird." But I didn't care and kept on listening to them.
Oh, I guess I should also mention Jimmy Eat World. I don't listen to them that much anymore, but Bleed American really is a damn good album.

Ah, I should have put Madness in there as they were the first band I discovered completely on my own -no parental or social influences. I remember flipping through records at our local record store and finding One Step Beyond. My life was never the same again.

I love you.

Cdubby
06-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Nirvana's Nevermind was the first tape I ever owned at like age 8 or 9 and played the hell out of it on my walkman and my cassette player when I was playing Nintendo. 2nd tape I ever owned was DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince's "He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper" lol.

bballarl
06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
The Strokes changed my life.

clumsy342
06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't know what the first thing that got me into music was...
But discovering Radiohead for myself was definitely a point of change.

I go Radiohead.

BROKENDOLL
06-04-2008, 12:20 PM

Band I got in to on my own who changed my life and who I credit with eventually turning me on to the whole coachella scene: Hanson Whoa, I forgot about the Beatles. I guess standing on our front retaining wall in my go-go boots when I was about 8 years old, and singing "Hey Jude" to the whole fucking neighborhood with my imaginary microphone makes them my first influential band, huh?

algunz
06-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I love you.

Likewise.

I love Cake. Were you there for the Coachella set where they got all pissed because they had to go on late and the mainstage sound was overpowering them. What year was that?

miscorrections
06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Belle & Sebastian woke me up to the fact that there was pop outside of the crap on the radio. Thanks, B&S. You will always hold a special place in my heart.

PassiveTheory
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Oh yeah, Cake... That's another band that's been important to me that I still love to listen to. I just took the notion of this thread to mean whatever band(s) basically followed along your life's path in the same sort of progression, or something. All the Cake I associate with my life was released years before I heard it, hence why I didn't mention them initially.

Also, Rage and Tool fit in there somehow.

bballarl
06-04-2008, 12:58 PM
The White Stripes introduced me to the Electroharmonix Big Muff Pi distortion pedal. Thanks Jack White.

RotationSlimWang
06-04-2008, 01:02 PM
It's still The Beatles, and it always fucking will be.

C DUB YA
06-04-2008, 01:03 PM
U2 - October and War and then even more so with Unforgettable Fire

Echo and the Bunnymen - esp. Songs to learn and Sing Collection on cassette

The Alarm - Declaration

The Cure - Let's Go to Bed (I had a crush on this girl who liked it way before i had gotten into them like I did when Kiss Me came out)

The Smiths - everything since day one

The Clash - Combat Rock then London Calling when I got a bit older.

Beatles - Abby Road first (cuz I liked the cover) - but everything my dad had on LP - which was everything

New Order - particularly the Substance collection on double cassette

Boourns
06-04-2008, 01:07 PM
If it weren't for Radiohead, I would probably not have later gotten into 90% of the stuff I listen to now, or be into this whole Coachella obsession.

C DUB YA
06-04-2008, 01:14 PM
IM OLD

amyzzz
06-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I think it was Erasure who turned me on to "alternative music." They had a couple of big hits in 1989--after that, I got into Depeche Mode, Morrissey/Smiths, and I was on my way.

Pixiessp
06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
when I was a youngun i guess i listened to lots of Motown and Top 40's crap.
in my teens it was Bowie,New York Dolls,Mott the Hoople.
I don't think it was until my late 20's when I discovered the band that became and remains my favorite and most influential band.....The Pixies.
I could name a ton of other bands that I am listening to at the moment but when it all comes down to it I always come back to the Pixies.

BlackSwan
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I just took the notion of this thread to mean whatever band(s) basically followed along your life's path in the same sort of progression, or something. All the Cake I associate with my life was released years before I heard it, hence why I didn't mention them initially.

Yeah, I did too... guess if I HAD to pick just one it would be Radiohead.

betao
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
The Prodigy
Mos Def
Radiohead
Ulrich Schnauss
The Chemical Brothers
Sigur Ros
Boards of Canada
Bob Marley (my summer jams back in high school)

these are the artists that since I really got into music have managed to hit a chord that nothing else can hit.

Tylerdurden31
06-04-2008, 01:58 PM
I'd say it started with STP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana

Soundgarden took over and owned my ears for a long while

Mogwai, Jeff Buckley, Trail of Dead and Modest Mouse ruled my life for most of college

Dismemberment Plan joined the fray afterwards...

Nothing has really come up to take the #1 spot yet

MissingPerson
06-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Wow. I'm either way younger than most of you guys, or I'm just slow on the uptake.

I used to like the Smashing Pumpkins a lot, but I'm fairly sure that was just inherited from my older sister.

But... My First Band, all of my own, was Arcade Fire, and they're still my guys first and foremost. I got Funeral just as I got an MP3 player for my birthday, and I was just about hitting the age everybody realises they love music, so yup, that's mah band. I wish I had a cooler story, "Beatles changed my life" or whatever, but nope.

rage patton
06-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Likewise.

I love Cake. Were you there for the Coachella set where they got all pissed because they had to go on late and the mainstage sound was overpowering them. What year was that?

Nah, my first Coachella was 2007... but the Coachella set you are talking about was 2002. What a brutal conflict... Bjork vs. Chemical Bros vs. Cake? Back then I would have chosen Cake, and even now I would still choose Cake. But yeah, I heard they were pissed off after that show. I was hoping I would see them at Coachella one day in the future, but I am betting they will not be willing to come back.

Bob Marley

Oh! He is a big one for me too. He is the one who opened the door to reggae and ska music for me. Also, Rancid are the band who got me into punk. And with my love for Rancid and Bob Marley, it eventually lead me to bands like Madness and The Specials.

betao
06-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Josh, i want you to send me some music by Madness and The Specials. I've been meaning to get into them for a while.

TomAz
06-04-2008, 03:09 PM
the English Beat were better.

actually here's my ranking of early 80s brit 2nd wave ska bands

1. The English Beat
2. The Specials
3. The Selecter
4. Madness
5. everybody else

only 1-4 are worth listening to.

stuporfly
06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
http://a836.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/115/l_e8c3bb1153722e33257097f1f47343b3.jpg
http://a447.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/14/l_38c3a0be28faffafe4f1681ded508bae.jpg

C DUB YA
06-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Nah, my first Coachella was 2007... but the Coachella set you are talking about was 2002. What a brutal conflict... Bjork vs. Chemical Bros vs. Cake? Back then I would have chosen Cake, and even now I would still choose Cake.

i chose the chems... but I remember seeing both them and Bjork - are you sure that was a conflict?

wait was that the year they (Chems) were in the sahara or Coachella stage?

JSam67
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
The Beatles. A little bit later on, Pink Floyd and Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dream was a life-changer for me), and from high school on, Radiohead.

humanoid
06-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I grew up on music from a very young age, my dad was a DJ on the radio station at CS Long Beach when I was a wee lad, so I remember listening to music constantly...the first one I really remember was Bowie, and his Sound + Vision box set were the first cd's I owned

although, my mom had much better musical taste than my dad(excluding Bowie of course), and from her I learned The Doors, Pink Floyd, Dylan & Neil Young
Radiohead has been with me since the very first time I heard them

BlackSwan
06-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Also, Rancid are the band who got me into punk. And with my love for Rancid and Bob Marley, it eventually lead me to bands like Madness and The Specials.

same here on that one, i remember being like 12 and begging my mom to let me go to nyc to see them on the ...and out come the wolves tour... first concert ever.

Alchemy
06-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Dave Matthews Band, Fiona Apple and Nine Inch Nails

Backwater
06-05-2008, 01:50 AM
Parents influences - Beatles, Rolling Stones, Simon and Garfunkel
My first CD was Presidents, the one with Peaches and Lump.
Nirvana, STP and AIC were next and Pixies were my first favorite band that I bought the whole discography of.

Backwater
06-05-2008, 01:58 AM
The Prodigy
Mos Def
Radiohead
Ulrich Schnauss
The Chemical Brothers
Sigur Ros
Boards of Canada
Bob Marley (my summer jams back in high school)

these are the artists that since I really got into music have managed to hit a chord that nothing else can hit.

That's really interesting that out of all the rappers you choose Mos Def because earlier today I was just thinking about how his voice and sound are so unique that I could easily see somebody really digging his music and not much other hip-hop.

betao
06-05-2008, 12:07 PM
That's really interesting that out of all the rappers you choose Mos Def because earlier today I was just thinking about how his voice and sound are so unique that I could easily see somebody really digging his music and not much other hip-hop.

haha, when I was in high school (9th grade only, really), I went through a "phase" of listening to rap/hip hop. I was really into 2pac, Mos Def and Talib Kweli, Nappy Roots, Bone Thugs N Harmony, DMX, and a few others. But I moved on once I bought Prodigy's "Fat of the Land", and I fell in love with EDM. Out of all of those rappers and hip/hop artists I listened to back then, the only one I can still really enjoy now is still Mos Def and occasionally Talib Kweli. Black on Both Sides is one of my favorite albums ever. Just something about Mos that really attracted me; at one point I searched for nearly every song he ever did, and I remember liking all of them.

MarkO
06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Dire Straits - 1st album
INXS - 1st show

algunz
06-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I want my . . . I want my . . . I want my MTV . . .

SoulDischarge
06-05-2008, 02:17 PM
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/17/69-mos-def/

algunz
06-05-2008, 02:23 PM
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/17/69-mos-def/

He was great in Hitchhiker's.

I like him. I'm white (kind of) and I'm proud.

luveebunni08
06-05-2008, 02:24 PM
there are some bands that are just amazing and shaped my personality (namely the Beatles and David Bowie) from youth but there are 3 bands, which came into my life at the same time, that are kind of responsible for my "musical awakening" so to speak. these bands shook me to the core and i've been obsessed with music in all it's glory ever since.
they are:

The Pixies
My Bloody Valentine
Radiohead

cirque 1997, I was in middle school. from there i went on to re-listen and re-live music that had been a part of my life for one reason or another as well as seek out new things. perhaps it was all that was going on at that time for me that made me feel like i needed an escape, i can never really say for sure, but i see it as a turning point in my life and i credit that to Doolittle, Loveless, and OK Computer.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-05-2008, 02:25 PM
It went Smashing Pumpkings --> David Bowie --> Radiohead

Mellon Collie was the 3rd album I ever bought, but the 1st that I listened it like the word...I know even in and out of that album and for a time I was the biggest Smashing Pumpkin fan in the world. They also were my 1st concert. Aug 1996 in Las Vegas at the shithole that is the Thomas and Mack arena...even though I had noise bleed seats it was so epic at the time and they sounded so fantastic...my obsession with Billy Corgan lead me to watch a concert video of the 50th birthday of a singer by the name of David Bowie, Billy Corgan guested on the video and it lead me to the world of David Bowie...if SP was a spark to my musical universe...David Bowie was the fucking big bang...the floor gates were let open after my...but funny enough..my 1st David Bowie album was not Low, Hunky Dory or Ziggy Stardust...it was a very overlooked album of his called Earthling...which still stands as one of my all time favorite albums...from David Bowie I discovered everything from Velvet Underground, Kraftwerk, The Pixies, Britpop, My Bloody Valentine, Pink Floyd, Aphex Twin, Captain Beefheart and finally Radiohead. I remeber hearing Creep back in the day and thinking it was U2 at first...I remeber watching the Just video and simply being so annoyed by the fact that I WANTED to know what that guy fucking said...and then came OK Computer...or the video for Paranoid Android...it sounded so fucking Alien...those guitar tones...I had never heard anything like it...and that 6 minute song lead me to Radiohead...which I have loved to this Day...I still love David Bowie (who I actually had the pleasure of meeting in Las Vegas I might add). I have fallen out with the Pumpkins given Billy egomanical outpost after that tarnish his image in my mind...though I still loved every thing Pre Machina...I don't listen to it as much anymore...but Radiohead is a love that only grew after Kid A....

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Bjork and Aphex Twin should also be on my list...but their appearance with me was more a left field hit out of now where then me stumbling upon them...in the shape of their videos...Come to Daddy and Human Behavior.

chiapet
06-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Tough to answer because I went through some distinct changes in musical tastes in college. In HS I was most enchanted with Alice in Chains and the Cure. There were two years in HS where it seemed like everyone was dying, moving away, or just breaking away, and I pretty much listened to Disintegration and Dirt over and over and over again. Both albums still cause a very strong (somewhat negative) emotional reaction. I'm kinda like that with certain mid-90s bands, from college, too, for similar reasons (B&S and Slowdive immediately come to mind).

For some reason the music I find during the darkest times of my life is what really sticks with me.

fiyahhh!
06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Growing up in the late 70's/early 80's with two older brothers and an older sister, I pretty much listened to whatever they were into. My brothers were always blasting Van Halen and Journey from their room. My sister was more into new wave and got me into the Police and the Smiths. I continued this rock & new wave coexistence into junior high. My ear-opening experience came in high school when my best friend played Fugazi's "Repeater" for me. We listened to it over and over that day... to think there was something so different (to me at the time) that I had never even heard of gave me reason to start searching out music instead of letting it come to me via the radio/tv. What really allowed me to get into all types of music was working 8 years at an independent music store. When I started I only listened to punk, but gradually I started to listen to more jazz and blues. Discovering Sonny Rollins and Lightnin' Hopkins was just as exciting as hearing the Descendents for the first time. My friend became the indie rock buyer, so we were always listening to promos after work and going to shows. So yeah, working in the music store gave me my appetite for different types of music, but Fugazi was what started it all for me.

rskapcat
06-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm surprised by all the Cake love around here. I saw them back in '96 when a friend dragged me to see No Doubt. Cake was definitely the highlight of that show for me.
I would have to say that Tori Amos has probably been the most influential for me, as far as my subsequent taste in music is concerned. Under the Pink made me hate high school a little bit less.
(How lame is it that I happen to be wearing my Tori concert T from '96 right now?)

Backwater
06-05-2008, 11:54 PM
My sister is a Tori Amos fanatic. Cake is a better studio band than live band right? I've only seen them once and it was less than stellar but I like their albums.

rskapcat
06-06-2008, 06:06 AM
My sister is a Tori Amos fanatic. Cake is a better studio band than live band right? I've only seen them once and it was less than stellar but I like their albums.

I thought they were good at reproducing their music live, but they aren't the most riveting performers. Make sense?

algunz
06-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Agree with the Cake criticism. They are better in studio, but their music is fun so what's going on on stage isn't always that important. I enjoyed them the couple of times I've seen them, but I've seen much better live performers.

bakersfield
06-06-2008, 09:54 AM
In 1982 I started listening to 2 up and coming bands.
And lo-and-behold they are still relevant 26 years later!
That would be The Cure & U2.
Saw The Cure Wed. night with my 13 year old son.
They played 3 hours & sounded better than ever!

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Crazy isn't it - The Cure are putting on the best shows in their decades long career, and U2 always pop back up with a good/great record and amazing tour every few years!

we will be hard pressed to get a future Cure or U2 from now on - with the biz how it is these days. Radiohead is about it - but they still have a few years to go before we start measuring them up properly - in terms of years.

chairmenmeow47
06-06-2008, 10:35 AM
http://ivy.aholic.us/gallery/d/647809-1/queen_s+greatest+hits.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=667ebaebe3 968c3bce49605204b630ff

i listened to that tape for 20 years.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Crazy isn't it - The Cure are putting on the best shows in their decades long career, and U2 always pop back up with a good/great record and amazing tour every few years!

we will be hard pressed to get a future Cure or U2 from now on - with the biz how it is these days. Radiohead is about it - but they still have a few years to go before we start measuring them up properly - in terms of years.

My money is on U2 headlining next year....they have a new album in the works...watch it happen...

bakersfield
06-06-2008, 10:46 AM

It is crazy...
On the way to the Cure concert I was getting nostalgic with my son & told him that hopefully in 25-30 years he would be driving ME & HIS son to see Jack White in either the White Stripes or Raconteurs.
:)

bakersfield
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
My money is on U2 headlining next year....they have a new album in the works...watch it happen...

That would be so cool! You're right, it could happen.

algunz
06-06-2008, 10:55 AM
I would definitely be behind U2 for the big #10.

miscorrections
06-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I think Oasis would be pretty great for next year.

jigsaw
06-06-2008, 10:59 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fM_OJQMTcWg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fM_OJQMTcWg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ewiggy
06-06-2008, 03:18 PM
i'll go with depeche mode.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 03:38 PM

you know the more i think about - i can see it happening too.

oh shit, better start planning now.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 03:40 PM
It is crazy...
On the way to the Cure concert I was getting nostalgic with my son & told him that hopefully in 25-30 years he would be driving ME & HIS son to see Jack White in either the White Stripes or Raconteurs.
:)

very cool.

I hope to be in the same boat - but my guy is only 17 months - got a ways to go.

jigsaw
06-06-2008, 03:40 PM
you too?

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 03:42 PM
ya never know - after all - PRINCE happened.

jigsaw
06-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Yea but prince is a badassmuthafucker!

funkinger
06-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Hard to pick one.

* Grew up on a wide array but mostly Beatles (thanks Dad).
* Rebellious youth turned me toward heavier bands for a short while.
* A friend's older brother and sister turned us on to and thankfully shocked me out of my heavier phase with: the Cure (Head on the Door), New Order (Substance), Echo & the Bunneymen, U2 (Unforgettable Fire), Smiths (the Queen is Dead), REM (Reckoning).
* Matured some, satisfied angst and grew boundaries with Jane's Addiction (XXX & Nothing's Shocking), Smashing Pumpkins (Gish), My Bloody Valentine (loveless) - still didn't like pablo honey.
* Then OK Computer came out and a lot changed.

Two biggest over that span? Early...Cure, later Radiohead. Both still matter but Radiohead moreso now.

jigsaw
06-06-2008, 03:47 PM
to sum it up...radiohead?

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
* Rebellious youth turned me toward heavier bands for a short while.

Same here, mainly rage against the machine.

amyzzz
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
I didn't actually read the first post of this thread, so I think I failed in my response. Oh well. Wouldn't "influential" equate with "favorite?" My favorite band is Catherine Wheel, and they were a big part of my life in the 90's.

jigsaw
06-06-2008, 03:53 PM
I am pretty sure the first post says ONE band.

REM is to BMACK as _______ is to you.

jigsaw
06-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Fuck it, I'll post my life story too...j/k

TOOL FTW

funkinger
06-06-2008, 04:13 PM

Point taken but for me it was a path. Without the Cure, I'm not sure I'd have landed with Radiohead - maybe. Probably depends on how long music has been important to someone but I think many people cycle in musical tastes a little over time.

Also, I'd personally rather read about people's journeys to where they're at than one or two word answers in a thread that would look like:

REM
Hanson
Smiths
50 Cent
Radiohead
Pixies
RATM
Milli Vanilli
Cure
Jupiter's Rings
Led Zeppelin

NicoDread
06-06-2008, 04:29 PM
My first favorite song was Guerilla Radio by RATM. It was in one of the Tony Hawk games and I was only 10 or so, but I loved it. When I was 11-12 and starting middle school, I was really into MTV and commercial rock and hip-hop. Sad, I know. The turning point for that was my older sister burning me a lot of cds to get me into better hip-hop, my favorites were Atmosphere, The Roots, and Del the Funky Homosapien. Soon after that though I went through the "classic rock" stage a lot of 13-14 year olds go through. It wasn't until freshman year of high school, I was watching a TV show and the song "Run" by Air came on. Since then they have been my favorite band, but I think in terms of "most influential" it would be The Beatles, who I grew up listening to (both of my parents are big Beatles fans).

PassiveTheory
06-06-2008, 04:31 PM
My first favorite song was Guerilla Radio by RATM. It was in one of the Tony Hawk games and I was only 10 or so, but I loved it.

That's so crazy... That's where I first heard of RATM too. THey had the badly edited version of the song where it was so badly destroyed that you couldn't understand half of Zach's non-cussed words.

Then I got the Battle of LA and realized that, hey, there were actually WORDS being spoken there!

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 04:34 PM
My first favorite song was Guerilla Radio by RATM. It was in one of the Tony Hawk games

That's so crazy... That's where I first heard of RATM too. THey had the badly edited version of the song where it was so badly destroyed that you couldn't understand half of Zach's non-cussed words.

Then I got the Battle of LA and realized that, hey, there were actually WORDS being spoken there!

:nono ... the only thing that makes this remotely ok is that you're young.

jigsaw
06-06-2008, 04:38 PM
I was just kidding and you are not the only one to spill it. :)

SoulDischarge
06-06-2008, 04:41 PM

Fuck that shit. Who cares what the first post said. The point of the boards is discussion (and shit-talking), not sweating over vague pointless parameters.

MissingPerson
06-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Fuck that shit. Who cares what the first post said. The point of the boards is discussion (and shit-talking), not sweating over vague pointless parameters.

Yeah, but then it turns into another one of those threads where people just list all the bands they like. Making them pick just one or two makes them think about it a bit more.

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 04:47 PM
you should both shut up about it.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-06-2008, 04:48 PM
I would definitely be behind U2 for the big #10.

you know the more i think about - i can see it happening too.

oh shit, better start planning now.

I am calling it...U2 will play Coachella 2009...new album to be relasesd new year and they are planning a 09 tour...it fits perfectly...and I think most of the board can get behind this...I think Bono would be all over this too...

Hawkings
06-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Nirvana, Soundgarden, NIN, the Orb and Morphine were very influential in the evolution of my music tastes.

Loved the NIN, Morphine, (heck Orb, UF Orb too) !

Not sure about still listening too it alot but can pick 2 albums when i started to get more into music that i loved. Albums beyond like Howard Jones, Depeche Mode, Berlin and Duran Duran, had to be

New Order - Substance
and NIN - Pretty Hate Machine

with honorable mention to Cure - Standing on the Beach and
U2 - Unforgettable Fire

Hawkings
06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Hard to pick one.

* Matured some, satisfied angst and grew boundaries with Jane's Addiction (XXX & Nothing's Shocking), Smashing Pumpkins (Gish)

yar definately Jane's and early Smashing Pumpkins big in my life for a few years

Memorial_07
06-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Rage Against The Machine.
Been listening to them since I was 7

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 04:52 PM
I am calling it...U2 will play Coachella 2009...new album to be relasesd new year and they are planning a 09 tour...it fits perfectly...and I think most of the board can get behind this...I think Bono would be all over this too...

the other two headliners better be damn good then... and Radiohead, Daft Punk, LCD Soundsystem, The Knife and Asobi Seksu better be there too.

amyzzz
06-06-2008, 04:53 PM
oh shoot, throw NIN in there too. I went a little crazy following NIN around.

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
I went a little crazy following NIN around.

...like an animal?:winkiss

amyzzz
06-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Not sure what that means, but yes.

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Not sure what that means, but yes.

closer reference.

amyzzz
06-06-2008, 05:05 PM
That's pretty much all I could come up with.

Backwater
06-06-2008, 05:08 PM

The first few Tony Hawk games had the best soundtracks ever; Primus, Face to Face, Del, Dead Kennedys, Bouncing Souls, De la Sol, Motorhead, Redman, KRS

That guy really knows his music. All the best punk and hip hop artists are there and those are the two genres that are most often scoffed at by the mainstream dickweeds.

RotationSlimWang
06-06-2008, 05:12 PM
That was a really half-assed lyric reference.

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 05:15 PM
That was a really half-assed lyric reference.

i agree. i'd worry about it if i had tried very hard.

zenidogx
06-06-2008, 05:16 PM
good thread. hard to say which band was most influential.
i liked RHCP a lot in middle school, but by 07 they weren't even in my top 5 must-sees at coachella.
the White Stripes were also a middle school band. i am a Jack White die-hard. because of Jack White i got into indie music.
the Beatles owned me in high school. i think everyone has a beatles phase.
then the Flaming Lips over took me when Mystics came out. since then i have become a Wayne Coyne believer.

i guess the band that will be the most influential on me from here on out is The Flaming Lips. whenever i'm down i put on UFOs at the Zoo. i gotta say the F-Lips live is an uplifting experience.

rage patton
06-07-2008, 12:01 AM

I thought they have an exclusive deal with livenation?

Backwater
06-07-2008, 02:04 AM
yeah a lot of people say Interpol sound like Joy Division

A lot of people are wrong. No matter how similiar they sound it doesn't matter. Joy Division is SO much better than Interpol that that comparison is ridiculous.

Apathetic00
06-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Green Day and the Offspring, when my friend Paul introduced them to me it changed me. I always listened to a variety of music... but now I took what I listened to seriously.

They also happened to be my first two concerts I ever went to as well. I saved money to buy a ticket for the sold out Offspring show and I still remember that night crystal clear.

Backwater
06-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Those are the only two punk bands that actually benefitted from signing onto a major record label.

PassiveTheory
06-07-2008, 02:26 PM
And also the reason why Pop-Punk became popular.

Blink also benefited from having a major label behind them.

Backwater
06-07-2008, 02:55 PM
But Blink completely fucking sucks, next to screamo, pop-punk is quite possibly the worst genre of music ever in existence

Backwater
06-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Blink is NOT punk. It's even a stretch calling Green Day and Offspring punk but Blink is simply not fucking punk at all. They're Pussy Pop.

PassiveTheory
06-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Well, what is punk to you?

bmack86
06-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Those are the only two punk bands that actually benefitted from signing onto a major record label.

The Clash were on CBS, Sex Pistols were on EMI

Backwater
06-07-2008, 03:36 PM
The Clash were on CBS, Sex Pistols were on EMI

True, true. I guess I meant in the last couple decades.

What is punk to me? Guys who sing like they have penises and not vaginas for one.

Some of my favorite punk bands are the two bmack mentioned plus Black Flag, Face to Face, Agent Orange, Fear, Cro-Mags, The Stooges, Dead Kennedy's, The Ramones, D.O.A., Rancid, Suicidal Tendencies, The Vandals, and I guess since I live in socal it would be unfaithful of me not to mention Social D, and Bad Religion. I like a lot of punk rock.

rage patton
06-07-2008, 03:39 PM
I love when people mention DOA. It makes me proud to be from Vancouver.

Backwater
06-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Are there any other popular bands from Vancouver? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Awesome city though

bmack86
06-07-2008, 07:22 PM
The Minutemen were just about the best SoCal punk band. No Age is the best right now, but the punk scene currently is as good as its ever been.

bakersfield
06-07-2008, 09:43 PM
True, true. I guess I meant in the last couple decades.

What is punk to me? Guys who sing like they have penises and not vaginas for one.

Some of my favorite punk bands are the two bmack mentioned plus Black Flag, Face to Face, Agent Orange, Fear, Cro-Mags, The Stooges, Dead Kennedy's, The Ramones, D.O.A., Rancid, Suicidal Tendencies, The Vandals, and I guess since I live in socal it would be unfaithful of me not to mention Social D, and Bad Religion. I like a lot of punk rock.

Very well said! seems like everything I consider actual punk is 20-30 years old. My 13 year old sons favorite band is The Ramones. Which I must admit I find kinda cool. We even made a pilgrimage to CBGB before it closed. We saw Social D 6 or so months ago & DAMN, they still can bring it!

Backwater
06-07-2008, 09:43 PM
No Age is pretty good but I wouldn't call them the best punk band around here.

bmack86
06-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Whodyou like? I'm intrigued.

Mika Miko and The Mae Shi can both really bring it as well, but No Age are just out enough while still being punk as hell.

idrive1life
06-07-2008, 10:56 PM
The Beatles