PDA

View Full Version : Teaching in Japan

JClemy
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey since there is such a large variety of people on the board I figured someone has probably done this. Anyone done this, advice, companies? Good things, Bad things?

Courtney
06-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I have no idea, but I always hear people say that JET is the best.

gaypalmsprings
06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
http://nandotimes.nandomedia.com/ips_rich_content/994-jonbenet.jpg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-03-2008, 02:37 PM
my best friend did it and I meet him in Japan while he was doing it. He hated it, he did it for too long and he meet alot of weirdos along the way..you can make a shit load of money (around $4000 a month) but unless your ready for a culture shock and your willing to pick up Japanese I would recommend against it...unless you do it for a summer and then bugger off...just use your time there to check out Fuji Rocks and Summer Sonic...

comiddle
06-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Don't waste your money on a TEFL course. As long as you have some University you're a great candidate.

The gist of TEFL:
Make it fun! Not only for kids, but for adults too.
Be flexible to accomodate the slow and the fast students.
Make sure everyone is involved. Even that quiet kid that hates participating.

There are a ton of resources online. You don't have to look hard to find entire lesson plans already set out for you.

There, I just saved you a ton of cash and time.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-03-2008, 02:40 PM
seriously just do it for this

http://www.smash-uk.com/frf08/lineup.html

slurpee
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Don't waste your money on a TEFL course. As long as you have some University you're a great candidate.

TEFL & JET are two completely different programs.

JET is specifically for Japan.

When I studied abroad in Japan we got to teach English at an all girls Catholic University for a few days. It was a lot of fun. I was offered a job to stay longer, but I work in technology. If you have the time, do it. It is a once in a life time chance.

http://www.jetprogramme.org/

JClemy
06-03-2008, 07:00 PM

The gist of TEFL:
Make it fun! Not only for kids, but for adults too.
Be flexible to accomodate the slow and the fast students.
Make sure everyone is involved. Even that quiet kid that hates participating.

There are a ton of resources online. You don't have to look hard to find entire lesson plans already set out for you.

There, I just saved you a ton of cash and time.

Thanks dude. I already have a degree and I tutor so I'm not to worried about it. Thanks for the suggestion though

I want to do JET but it only starts in July and I want to leave sometime around January 09 or so. I totally decided on Japan partially for fuji rocks festival. I forgot about summer sonic fest. I'm a little sad cause I'll probably miss Coachella next year for it but Japan seems like a good enough reason.

comiddle
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
TEFL & JET are two completely different programs.

JET is specifically for Japan.

When I studied abroad in Japan we got to teach English at an all girls Catholic University for a few days. It was a lot of fun. I was offered a job to stay longer, but I work in technology. If you have the time, do it. It is a once in a life time chance.

http://www.jetprogramme.org/

I'm too lazy too look at the website, but isn't JET just a program that helps you get your shit in order and get a job? Whereas TEFL/TESOL/TOEFL etc are courses that teach you how to teach.
Is there a course component to JET? Like I said... lazy and at work.

JClemy
06-04-2008, 02:21 PM
JET kinda does everything for you from what I've read so far. Mind you I've spent about 15 minutes looking stuff up since I have 6 months still.

sonofhal
06-04-2008, 02:33 PM
PPISSChpB7k

psychic friend
06-04-2008, 02:34 PM
my friend did that and ended up staying there for 3 years. while she was there she learned fluent Japanese and made boat loads of money. I got to visit her for a few weeks saving having to get a hotel and luckily having someone to meet me at the confusing airport that is not in english. It was great. She loved it. It was total culture shock though.

fikus222
06-04-2008, 02:55 PM
My best friend has been in the Jet program for 5 years now. He is half Japanese and half Chinese and hasn't had any problems. He has learned a fair amount of Japanese while there and has only gotten in 1 fight with the Yakuza.

He is now one of the administrators for Jet and is living/working in Tokyo. He loves it, when he first got there they had him up in the northern part of the country (Yamamata Prefecture, I think), essentially the rural boonies.

Everybody that he works with are real cool, there are a lot of Aussies and Kiwis. I don't know when he's ever moving back, luckily he comes to visit 1-2 times a year. He will be visiting in time for Radiohead at Outside Lands !!!!!

slurpee
06-04-2008, 03:19 PM
JET will place you in the school, train you, pay you, help find a place to stay.

You are given options in the city you want to teach.

You have option if you want young or older students.

JET doesn't require a course to be passed or be paid for.

JET program wants people who speak absolutely no Japanese. Only have English as primary language.

If I didn't work in the technology field (no desire to teach). I would have done it for at least 1 year.

JClemy
06-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Like I said I really would like to do Jet but because you have to apply for that in september and don't leave until July it doesn't really fit my time schedule. Which sucks because Jet seems like the best program. Working with the Jet program would be neat cause it sounds like they really want you to experience all that Japan has to offer. If I could start in January I totally would.

I've only done a little bit of research so far but I'm pretty stoked. It looks like a really cool country.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-05-2008, 06:03 AM
my friend did that and ended up staying there for 3 years. while she was there she learned fluent Japanese and made boat loads of money. I got to visit her for a few weeks saving having to get a hotel and luckily having someone to meet me at the confusing airport that is not in english. It was great. She loved it. It was total culture shock though.

which airport did you land at Narita? It was pretty each for me to manage, I saw alot of english signs...if it was Haneda then yeah it is hell....

Courtney
06-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I <3 Narita. They have beer dispensers in the United Airlines lounge that automatically grab and tilt your glass! They made quite the impression on me.

Edit: like this!

DMaOLgJ70C0

JClemy
06-05-2008, 03:01 PM
I <3 Narita. They have beer dispensers in the United Airlines lounge that automatically grab and tilt your glass! They made quite the impression on me.

Edit: like this!

DMaOLgJ70C0

Awesome!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I LOVE asahi beer!

psychic friend
06-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I landed in whatever is near tokyo. I would have not been able to figure out how to "mail" my luggage to her (in chiba). some weird thing you cant take it on trains. I don't know, I was pretty lost at the airport. The trains were easy to figure out though.

JClemy
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM
The more I read and the more I see the more excited I get. It's hard to find a company that works with couples too. Thats seems to be a bit of an issue. I suppose we're not the first couple to go teach in Japan.

psychic friend
06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
my friend was part of a couple, they taught at different schools but pretty close to eachother. they broke up near the end of the 3 years she was there and she got some local booty.

JClemy
06-06-2008, 11:10 PM
my friend was part of a couple, they taught at different schools but pretty close to eachother. they broke up near the end of the 3 years she was there and she got some local booty.

Oh thats cool. It just seems like it would make rent paying easier. Also I hear that the Japanese enjoy westerners. Good for her!

traviscanada
06-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I had a friend who taught english in Taiwan... he might be able to give some tips.

JClemy
06-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Anyone else have some more cool stories about Japan?

JClemy
07-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I'm going in October!

algunz
07-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Cool. Make sure you post some pix and stories.

JClemy
10-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey everyone. I finally made it and I'm in Japan now. Just arrived a few days ago and I'm starting teaching today.

Barbara, the ninja
10-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Wee! How do you like it?!?! The underage Japanese schoolgirls, I mean.

rage patton
10-26-2008, 09:36 PM
That is awesome man! How long are you going to be teaching for down there? Are you gonna be over there long enough to go to Fuji Rock.

faxman75
10-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Very cool. What an interesting thread. I had looked into the TEFL courses and Slurpee provided very good information in this thread.

Keep us updated JClemy about your experiences in the country and about the program and teaching as well. :)

Boourns
10-27-2008, 07:08 AM
I am thinking about doing this as well.

canexplain
10-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Hey everyone. I finally made it and I'm in Japan now. Just arrived a few days ago and I'm starting teaching today.

great ....hope you like it ... i graduated high school in japan but that was a long while ago ... the yen factor was 390 yen to a dollar ... i think i was yesterday it was 96 yen to a dollar ...sucks ..x****

unknown
10-27-2008, 10:14 PM
That is great you are out there and doing it. Hope it works out! I loved Japan when I was out there - Tokyo has a shitload of clubs and music events for all types of genres and it is relatively easy to get around even if you just learn the bare minimum of Japanese. I remember hitting up Shinjuku and Shibuya mostly (there is a GREAT dnb event that was held on a monthly basis at Womb, saw Ed Rush there as well as Andy C). Caught DJ Krush a few times at another spot too.... loads of stuff to do

390 yen to the dollar is INSANE! When I was there it was about 125...

JClemy
10-29-2008, 07:01 AM
That is awesome man! How long are you going to be teaching for down there? Are you gonna be over there long enough to go to Fuji Rock.

I'm going to be here for a year so I am totally hitting Fuji rock. I haven't been on the board much but I noticed you got engaged! Congratulations. I did the engagement thing too back in september but it wasn't quite as cool as how you did it. Man if only I had waited another month till gogol came lol. Maybe even Henry Rollins lol.

Japan is such an amazing country! We've starting doing some teaching and it's so cool to be teaching doctors and businessmen who in Canada would have been our bosses. Everyone is super nice too. I don't speak much Japanese but you pick it up really quickly. I think the food is the first thing I'm learning. I've tried all sorts of things that I totally though of as gross but now I just throw it into my mouth and hope for the best. So dar there aren't many things I don't like. Today I had Umeboshi and it was pretty much the most discusting thing I've ever eaten. Thinking about it makes me feel a little sick. It's a little pickled plum and looks good which is super decieving.

We're doing a blog but we're also totally lazy so I'll post the link when we actually get it started.

We didn't actually come with a company. We came over with a working holiday visa(I'm not sure if Americans can get this) and basically when we got here we took over classes from people who were here. We're private teachers so that gives us a little more control over our time off and our own schedules. I would totally recommend to anyone coming over here though. It was a little bit of a shock at first but everyone has been great.

If anyone is coming for Fuji rock let me know because we're definitely going. We may be able to help a little by then and you can tell us all about Coachella which we're a little sad to be missing.

Even if you're not doing it to teach I would totally recommend coming to Japan to visit. We're in a small town called Takikawa and it's still cool. I haven't even seen a big city yet so we're pretty excited.

slurpee
10-29-2008, 10:03 AM
JClemy, I am very happy for you. It may not seem this way right now, but your time is limited. Utilize your time as best you can.

Please have an Asahi for me :)

Which city are you in?

Cheers!

Courtney
10-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Glad you're enjoying yourself JClemy!

I have a friend who has been in Japan since July on the JET Program. Originally he was planning to stay and teach in his small town for two years, but now it looks like they can only afford to keep him for one year because of the economy. What a bummer.

I'd love to visit Tokyo some day. Right now, I can only vouch for the awesomeness of the airport! Somehow, Tokyo always gets bumped to the bottom of the travel list because there are so many fabulous and more budget-friendly destinations I also want to visit.

fumfum
10-29-2008, 08:12 PM
I am glad that you are enjoying Japan. Umeboshi is not that bad. Did you try natto (fermented soy bean)? I don`t think you like it.

Where in Japan are you in? There are many good concerts in Japan,but especially in big cities. I am in northern part of Japan ( honshu)

That is cool that you are in working holiday. A lot of Japanese use this system to go to Canada.

That is great you are out there and doing it. Hope it works out! I loved Japan when I was out there - Tokyo has a shitload of clubs and music events for all types of genres and it is relatively easy to get around even if you just learn the bare minimum of Japanese. I remember hitting up Shinjuku and Shibuya mostly (there is a GREAT dnb event that was held on a monthly basis at Womb, saw Ed Rush there as well as Andy C). Caught DJ Krush a few times at another spot too.... loads of stuff to do

I like Womb, too. I saw 3 many DJs, guysfrom kitsune, mondo grosso, and Tei Towa.

emtgreg
10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
this thread tempts me...

does anyone know how the taxation system works?

i mean, do i pay both japanese taxes and american taxes as an expat?

so curious...

JClemy
10-30-2008, 03:47 AM
I am in Takikawa up in Hokkaido. It's a pretty small city but the people are really cool. I can walk to a bunch of my classes. The student I have tonight(it's 8:40 pm here) is pretty cool and has one of the coolest sound systems I've ever seen. It's really cool.

I've had a few asahi and we're headed to Sapporo on Saturday so we'll have more delicious beer then. YAY

stuporfly
10-30-2008, 05:58 AM
I've just found out today that an old friend of mine is teaching English in South Korea. She really likes it, and if anyone's interested, I can ask her for more details. All she's said so far was that it pays well, her apartment and medical is covered, and she's having an amazing time. I also know she didn't speak Korean at all before she went.

fumfum
10-30-2008, 05:23 PM
I am in Takikawa up in Hokkaido. It's a pretty small city but the people are really cool. I can walk to a bunch of my classes. The student I have tonight(it's 8:40 pm here) is pretty cool and has one of the coolest sound systems I've ever seen. It's really cool.

I've had a few asahi and we're headed to Sapporo on Saturday so we'll have more delicious beer then. YAY

Hokkaido is very beautiful and cool place. There is beer factory in Sapporo, you should go sometime. Asahiyama zoo is famous and fun place to go.

JClemy
10-30-2008, 11:47 PM
I have heard about the zoo. It sounds pretty great. The penguin march is something I am hoping to see. I think we may see the beer factory tomorrow but I'm not really sure. We are being shown around by the people we are taking over from.

I can find out from some of the JET's how the tax system works. There are quite a few people from all over here in Takikawa. They all live in the same area.

JClemy
11-06-2008, 02:37 AM
So I just found out today that I'm living a couple hours from an all Japanese music festival. The Rising Sun festival is maybe 3 hours drive from where I'm living. Wicked! July and August are going to be busy!

JClemy
01-09-2009, 02:11 AM
some videos of some cool things in Japan up: http://jp.youtube.com/user/jclemy

Also Summer Sonic looks to be good this year

weltschmerz
01-09-2009, 07:05 AM
So it seems like you're having a good time. That's pretty awesome. Is Coachella on the horizon for you, or is that out of the question?

JClemy
01-19-2009, 12:08 AM
I really wanted to go to Coachella this year with it being the 10th anniversary and all but I just don't think we can justify taking all the time off and flying all the way back to a music festival. It's so tempting though because I think we'll have time off around that time anyways for Golden week.

Pictures:

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/jclemy/

ivankay
01-19-2009, 12:15 AM
You should be a good ambassador and trick new friends from where you currently live to go with you to Indio. Introduce them to the best weekend of the year. It's your duty as a world citizen.

slurpee
01-21-2009, 12:11 PM
JClemy,

Glad to hear everything is still going so well. The pictures you posted are sweet.

Did you start doing the peace sign in every picture you take? I swear everyone does it in Japan ;/

djandrews25
06-16-2010, 01:14 PM
My brother did the jet program for 3 years and loved it. No idea where he taught but i know it was about 3 hours from a major city.