PDA

View Full Version : Michael Eavis snubs David Gilmour

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-02-2008, 09:59 AM
So did David get ideas from Roger?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1233313.ece

PICTURE the scene – a sweltering midsummer night in Somerset.

One hundred thousand smiling punters gripped by communal euphoria as Dark Side Of The Moon, one of the greatest British albums ever, is performed by one of its creators during a headline slot on the Pyramid stage.

Sounds like the recipe for a pretty perfect Glastonbury moment, doesn’t it?

Well, not if you’re organiser MICHAEL EAVIS, it doesn’t.

The dairy farmer has nixed the chance of that happening later this month after rejecting an offer from PINK FLOYD frontman DAVID GILMOUR to play at the bash.

It truly beggars belief.

The silver-haired prog lord personally contacted the Glasto kingpin to offer his services for the event from June 27 to 29 only to be told he was surplus to requirements.

No disrespect to THE VERVE, but their classy Britrock is no match for the might of the Floyd. KINGS OF LEON’s muddy swamp blues doesn’t even come close.

And JAY-Z’s hip hop couldn’t hope to replicate the awesome atmosphere of hearing Wish You Were Here pumped out across a field late at night at a deafening volume either.

It’s a titanic mistake from Eavis.

My spy tells me: “Dave has always had a soft spot for Glastonbury. He’s got a window in his touring plans and thought he’d contact Michael about performing.

Offer ... Dave Gilmour
“And while Michael was grateful for the offer he turned it down. He wants the event to appeal to a younger generation and feels that Dave wouldn’t.”

Eavis is attempting to get a new generation interested in Glastonbury.

But his scheme has backfired. This year’s lineup has led to the fest not selling out, something unthinkable over the event’s recent history.

He’s dangerously out of touch with a public – youngsters and all – who would have delighted in some Floyd action.

The prog pioneers were scheduled to play the very first Glastonbury Fayre in 1970 but missed their slot because they couldn’t get their kit on to the Pyramid stage.

Advertisement

Gilmour’s Floyd bandmate ROGER WATERS returned to the scene in 2002 and was warmly received.

He had walked away from the rockers in the early Eighties after the release of another of their landmark records – The Wall.

The pair were then involved in a bitter legal battle for years over who had the right to use the band’s name as the original members continued touring and recording without him into the mid-Nineties.

The multi-million-selling outfit regrouped for the first time in 24 years when they played Live 8 in 2005.

Michael, it’s not too late to reconsid

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
http://nme.com/news/pink-floyd/37034

Glastonbury organiser says there just wasn't space for legend

Jun 2, 2008
0 Comments
Pink Floyd news, reviews, video and tour dates
Add Pink Floyd to MyNME
Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis has responded to claims in the press that he turned down a performance from David Gilmour at this year's event.

As previously reported, The Sun newspaper claimed that Eavis snubbed Gilmour's offer, despite the Pink Floyd man being very keen to play.

Eavis said in the statement: "I got a call three or four weeks ago from Gilmour's people. It was obviously very flattering that he had shown an interest in playing here, but by that time all the bands were already in place for this year."

He added: "We've got a wonderful line-up and I couldn't bump one
of the artists off, even for him. Hopefully we'll be able to arrange
it for another year, though."

PassiveTheory
06-02-2008, 10:36 AM
They seriously couldn't just bump Kings of Leon down a spot? I mean, seriously, if Portishead can bite the bullet and take a step down, I think the Kings of fucking Leon wouldn't mind opening for David Gilmour.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-02-2008, 10:41 AM
They seriously couldn't just bump Kings of Leon down a spot? I mean, seriously, if Portishead can bite the bullet and take a step down, I think the Kings of fucking Leon wouldn't mind opening for David Gilmour.

Word! they might even want to!

menikmati
06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Michael Eavis is a fucking moron. He needs to step down bad and hand over Glastonbury to someone else.

suprefan
06-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Bad move Eavis, and yeah it is insanely suprisng Glasto not selling out for once.

ShyGuy75
06-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Michael Eavis is a fucking moron. He needs to step down bad and hand over Glastonbury to someone else.

It only took me 2 minutes of checking this board for the 2nd time since the festival to read one of the dumbest things ever written. Take a bow.

Good thing that they have this band called Massive Attack playing at the same time as JZ ; )

In previous years, the attendence figure for this year would be a sell out. Personally, I'm estatic it isn't "sold out". Bring on the rain and mud!!!!

menikmati
06-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Doesn't matter...yes out of 400 bands, there are going to be some good ones, but as far as I'm concerned, Eavis's days of making Glastonbury like THE festival are long gone. Trying to sell the festival on the main stage lineup this year...it's embarrassing compared to years past.

ShyGuy75
06-02-2008, 03:44 PM
I wasn't aware he was trying to sell it on the main stage acts. Most people I have spoken with about this fest go for everything except the main stage acts. But I'm sure some 19 year olds cancelled their trip because the main stage didn't have Radiohead. You do know its 5 days of camping in the middle of nowhere and the music/movies/festivities run 24/7? And those types that don't go because of 1 band out of 400 are the types I wouldn't want there anyway.

I take it you haven't been, as I haven't, so I won't comment on the aspects of the festival any further.