PDA

View Full Version : Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

Pages : [1] 2

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 06:46 AM
Ok flame away.

But I am gettin a little excited about the new record - I've read 3 reviews so far and they all have been really good and very positive. Must be Eno. Having him on board (literally) is a big win in my book.

Here's a review. (not mine)

Coldplay: Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends - 8/10

Why is it that all major league UK rock bands end up turning into U2? Has Bono personally impregnated every arena dressing room with his juices so anyone within 20 feet catches “big music” like scabies? Coldplay began to show symptoms with The Edge-aping guitar desertscape bit on ‘Fix You’ and on this, their fourth studio album, they develop full Bono Bombast Syndrome. Sheesh, what next? Will the amazing Brian Eno be manning their decks? (yes) Can we expect Chris Martin to grow wrap-around shades and lose four feet from his height by Christmas? (No) An obvious comparison maybe, but Coldplay are the band most likely to be offended by it. They’ve gone and dressed up like 19th century French army peasants ready to storm the musical Bastille. They’ve slapped a stirring painting of Gallic death or glory on their album sleeve. They’re saying they want a Coldplay revolution? They probably thought ‘Lovers In Japan’, a jaunty piano rollock drenched in enough ‘Joshua Tree’ reverb to demolish Red Rocks, was a searing sonic battle between Echo & The Bunnymen, The Cocteau Twins and A Place To Bury Strangers. They yearn to be recast as outsiders violently opposed to the mainstream hegemony but can’t see that by dint of their incessant knack for a stadium-sized chorus they’re so deeply entrenched in the mainstream that they’re our men on the inside, making the most offensive indie racket palatable to the masses with a sprinkle of their melodic fairy dust.

Case in point: when they say they’ve been influenced by My Bloody Valentine and point to the guitar screes and hazy, unintelligible vocals of ‘Chinese Sleep Chant’, they fail to realise the angelic hooklines they’ve couched within the noisefest make the song as mainstream as ‘Umbrella’. It may prompt a million Tarquins to lob hummus at the stereo in disgust but, tellingly, not once during Coldplay’s most adventurous song to date will you phone Apple to complain your iTunes is screwed. See, they don’t have it in them to be Radiohead, making nice-but-vaguely-difficult records for 30-something men who want to feel ‘cutting edge’ while only buying one record a year, nor would we want them to. Because they are fantastic at what they do, ie sneaking alternative culture into the nation’s subconscious while pretending to be dinner party music. And ‘Viva La Vida…’, like the much-maligned (by the band anyway) ‘X&Y’, is a brilliant collection of songs designed to push Coldplay’s epic envelope far enough to avoid stagnation while never scaring the Nissan-driving horses.

It takes a while to get going, sure: the electro-world-pop instrumental opener ‘Life In Technicolor’ seems superfluous until it’s repeated with vocals as the secret track at the end, while the dark Dubliner throb of ‘Cemeteries Of London’ sounds suspiciously like a Riverdance Halloween special; Martin crooning about night creatures, broken curses, witches and ghost towns while Jonny Buckland’s guitar slices like the softest of Sweeney Todd’s razorblades. It’s not until ‘Lost!’ – all church organ funkiness, stomporific handclap rhythms and Chris pouting like a preacher in a jacuzzi full of strippers – that ‘Viva…’ really hits its stride. ‘42’ opens like a Coldplay piano classic la ‘Trouble’ with Martin bewailing the voices in his head like a sanatorium balladeer, then breaks into a freewheeling college rock stormer. ‘Lovers In Japan’ provides stadium pop relief and the delicate ‘Reign Of Love’ (complete with Buckland hitting his guitar with an anvil far off in the distance) is as tender as any costume-drama sex scene featuring Kevin Costner unravelling Kate Winslet’s corsets on rolling Irish heathland.

But it’s in its latter stages that ‘Viva…’ truly goes stratospheric: on the magnificent orchestral pop title track, where Martin imagines himself as a deposed French king reduced to sweeping the streets; on the bruised ‘Yes’, like Dandy Warhols and Depeche Mode lost in a desert duststorm; on the Satanic blues hymnal of single ‘Violet Hill’. As the record rounds up with the thumping ceilidh of ‘Strawberry Swing’ and the disjointed Elbow-ish crescendo of ‘Death And All His Friends’ you can only violently applaud Coldplay’s daring within their Big Music remit. ‘Viva…’, like those revolutionary French peasants at the palace gates, is steeped in traditionalism (Irish folk, Deep South country and blues, churchy classicism) but striving for something greater, grander, better. And with mainstream success guaranteed, by over-reaching themselves Coldplay are perfectly placed to decree the shape of the new rock order with album five.

eudaemonia
06-02-2008, 06:51 AM
I don't blame ya. I have two of the new album's songs so far and I can't stop listening to it. :thu

Anyone else going to see them in the free Kimmel show tonight? I'm excited.

nahuatldream
06-02-2008, 06:52 AM
I like Coldplay, so I'm looking forward to the new record. I hope it's as good as I hope. I actually liked X&Y as well. Jimmy Kimmel, eh? I'll have to check that out.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-02-2008, 07:06 AM
I love Coldplay and the new songs..so to hell with those who don't...btw where is the review from?

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Oh sorry - the review is NME's ---- or Q, I can't remember...

I got to say the record, sounds really good so far. I just pre-ordered the vinyl.

They sounded good on MTV's Movie awards last night.

tessalasset
06-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Hahah flame away? I think there are a lot of Coldplay fans on this board. Me included.

moviebruin
06-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Coldplay July 15th (Tues) - Tour Kickoff - The Forum. Tickets on sale this saturday.

luckyface
06-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Could they have named their album anything lamer?

Hopeless Semantic
06-02-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm looking forward to this cd. I heard a little of it and the review is pretty much dead on. It does sound a tad bit different than X&Y, but its still quinessential Coldplay.

Hopeless Semantic
06-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Yes...

X&Y was a pretty pedestrian name...

jigsaw
06-02-2008, 08:13 AM
This is exactly what I thought about their performance last night

Here's a review. (not mine)

Why is it that all major league UK rock bands end up turning into U2?

See, they dont have it in them to be Radiohead.

FakePlasticMe
06-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I don't know. X + Y was so bad I'm not sure if I can bounce back. Plus that iTunes commercial makes me want to punch Martin in the face. Not to mention, their live performance on the MTV Bullshit Movie Awards was as if they were trying to be Arcade Fire or something...they should just be themselves.

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 09:36 AM
I thought they were exactly who they are on MTV last night.

but again...

it is all about BRIAN ENO people.

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 09:37 AM

I wish it was just called Death and All His Friends. Leaving off the Viva la vida part, makes it a whole lot better.

uscjeff
06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know how the Best Buy Reward Zone presales work? I dont see any information about it in the RZ site

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
no idea

PassiveTheory
06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
I wish you could call the album by either name. That would be kind of cool. But yeah, it should've been called "Death and All His Friends".

I need to find the leak of this online... Hmmm...

MissingPerson
06-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Not to mention, their live performance on the MTV Bullshit Movie Awards was as if they were trying to be Arcade Fire or something...they should just be themselves.

Chris Martin's pretty much said as much outright in a few interviews, yeah. I dunno if I think more of him for at least being able to acknowledge his influences or think he's kind of an ass for being consciously alright with aping another band's style. I can't believe how unsubtle they are about it though, whatever about the music itself, they've even started turning into a weird Arcade Fire mini-me band visually too.

Chris Martin's been a fan of theirs for a while, you can see him in the crowd in that youtube of AF playing Wake Up in a venue lobby.

chairmenmeow47
06-02-2008, 10:25 AM
i thought the new ipod commercial with their song was a U2 commercial until someone told me it was coldplay.

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 10:28 AM
wonder how many times they've heard that by now?

BlackSwan
06-02-2008, 10:29 AM
That iTunes commercial makes me want to punch Martin in the face.

...and then kick him repeatedly while he is on the ground... that commercial is HORRIBLE.

I wish you could call the album by either name. That would be kind of cool. But yeah, it should've been called "Death and All His Friends".

I need to find the leak of this online... Hmmm...

I have 4 tracks so far, not that exciting...

I was hoping this album might help me appreciate Coldplay a little more, but it's not looking good.

Mr.Nipples
06-02-2008, 10:35 AM
livin' la vida loca

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 10:41 AM
...and then kick him repeatedly while he is on the ground... that commercial is HORRIBLE.

I have 4 tracks so far, not that exciting...

I was hoping this album might help me appreciate Coldplay a little more, but it's not looking good.

I like the commercial.

If you don't like them to begin with - I doubt this will change your mind.

FakePlasticMe
06-02-2008, 10:47 AM
No, I did like them to begin with, a lot. I loved Parachutes and Rush of Blood, seen them 8 times, etc. However, I had to draw the line when X +Y came out, just as I did when Weezer released everything after Pinkerton. You just have to admit defeat and move on...

PassiveTheory
06-02-2008, 10:48 AM
The commercial is meh, but the songs are good.

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 10:55 AM
On my third time through the record - keeps gettin better.

The Eno stuff becomes more apparent too, lots of layering.

amyzzz
06-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I like the commercial, although Chris Martin looks like Rick Springfield in it--wtf? The commercial song is growing on me. I heard a song on the radio that wasn't so good. I don't know the titles.

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 11:13 AM
you either heard Viva La Vida or Violent Hill.

suprefan
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Coldplay July 15th (Tues) - Tour Kickoff - The Forum. Tickets on sale this saturday.

The Fforum again? I smell 2 nights at The Forum.

Ardentbiscuit
06-02-2008, 03:43 PM
So is it true that Black Mountain is opening up for Coldplay on this tour?

Jerm05
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM
"you know how i know youre gay?"...I get that a lot when i wear my Coldplay shirt

I am really anticipating this album and the wolf parade album. already got my coldplay tix too so CHYEA!

Sushov23
06-02-2008, 04:44 PM
OOOOOOH, black mountain. SWEET. I think i'm going to the Forum Date.

Hopeless Semantic
06-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Black Mountain and Coldplay is a sweet proposition. I'm already contemplating this show. I don't know though...

amyzzz
06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Black Mountain would be an extra negative for me.

uscjeff
06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Didnt Black Mountain open the Irvine show back in 2005?

vinylmartyr
06-02-2008, 05:27 PM
I saw suprefan getting off the subway on his way to jimmy kimmell.

woogie846
06-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Didnt Black Mountain open the Irvine show back in 2005?

Yeah, I doubt that it'll happen again, although I'd love to see it happen.

MissingPerson
06-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I am really anticipating this album and the wolf parade album. already got my coldplay tix too so CHYEA!

I don't understand how these bands can share the same post. I just... don't understand.

crazzz2007
06-02-2008, 06:37 PM
i don't understand all the coldplay love, especially on this board. i don't see the talent. i don't see any originality. i don't see any growth.

all i see are gimmicks.

it's almost like they are too calculating, as though they are making business decisions rather than artistic ones.

orbit
06-02-2008, 06:42 PM
it is all about BRIAN ENO people.

I don't trust Coldplay anymore. last time I did, they used some kraftwerk riffs to make one of the worst songs ever.

Ardentbiscuit
06-02-2008, 06:54 PM
It was a rumor I heard but yeah I agree. I doubt Black Mountain would open again.

I remember when my friend saw them in Vegas Fiona Apple was the opener. And then I think he saw them again in New York and Richard Ashcroft was the opener.

MissingPerson
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
It's not that I have any hate for Coldplay, it's just that I can't really generate any kind of reaction to 'em at all. Pleasant? They're pleasant? I don't know.

Jerm05
06-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I remember when my friend saw them in Vegas Fiona Apple was the opener..

I was at that show!

FakePlasticMe
06-03-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't trust Coldplay anymore. last time I did, they used some kraftwerk riffs to make one of the worst songs ever.

Agreed.

I was at their MTV $2 Bill show back in 02 and it was awesome....so sad.

BlackSwan
06-03-2008, 09:48 AM
someone upload the whole thing... i have morbid curiosity over here.

zenidogx
06-03-2008, 10:13 AM
i saw them on kimmel. great performance. i could see why they sell out big arenas. their sound is meant for a big venue. chris martin seems pretty cool.

some quotes:
"i'm fucking ben affleck. i take offense to that jimmy. my wife did fuck ben affleck."

JK (to a fan): you are a liar and are going to hell.
CM: Jimmy, do you believe in heaven and hell?
JK: just in hell . . .

C DUB YA
06-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Chris seems like a good dude

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Chris seems like a good dude

i'd do him.

amyzzz
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
He is incredibly nice and funny.

superfiction
06-03-2008, 03:07 PM
someone upload the whole thing... i have morbid curiosity over here.

i just want it. can someone pm me a link or post a link to a torrent on here? all the ones ive found are fakes

suprefan
06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I saw suprefan getting off the subway on his way to jimmy kimmell.

Yeah, totally random.

so this leaked??!?

superfiction
06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
it leaked and then disappeared. a friend of mine got it. ill try and get it out of him when he gets done with class unless someone posts a link first

amyzzz
06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
If Ticketmaster does some kind of wacky discount thing (like they did for the local George Michael show), then I will probably go see them live. I don't want crappy seats for $50+ though. Fuck that.

MissingPerson
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I'd like to like Coldplay though, seeing as they're absolutely everywhere all the time... and I confess, I did have a perception of Chris Martin as being a bit of a do-gooding sap, but I'm not so set in that anymore, and hey, I guess it wouldn't such a bad thing.

Anyway, you can see him watching AF here (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=G8QYnxIjHWg) just in case anybody's interested.

BlackSwan
06-03-2008, 04:03 PM
it leaked and then disappeared. a friend of mine got it. ill try and get it out of him when he gets done with class unless someone posts a link first

would be greatly appreciated.

suprefan
06-03-2008, 04:14 PM
If Ticketmaster does some kind of wacky discount thing (like they did for the local George Michael show), then I will probably go see them live. I don't want crappy seats for $50+ though. Fuck that.

The easiest way to see if that coudl happen is if there are really good tickets up for grabs right now. If they stay for a while, then they might do something like that.

BlackSwan
06-03-2008, 04:43 PM
hey, surprise surprise, the final version of Violet Hill isn't that bad... huh.

superfiction
06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
did you get the whole album? my friend still hasnt gotten online i waaaant it somebody pm it to me plzzzz

suprefan
06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Still it Black Sawn, come on dude. As much as the Jimmy Kimmel performance wasnt as amazing as everyone hyped or thinks it was, I still will listen to this to see what Eno did with them

Jerm05
06-03-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't understand how these bands can share the same post. I just... don't understand.

..Just sayin

Ardentbiscuit
06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Best Buy Reward Zone is saying the show is 7/14/08.

Must be a mistake....

suprefan
06-03-2008, 06:20 PM
No, not really, it can be the ''extra'' show. 14 and 15 in l.a. does not sound out of the ordinary.

Ardentbiscuit
06-04-2008, 06:30 AM
No, not really, it can be the ''extra'' show. 14 and 15 in l.a. does not sound out of the ordinary.

Okay, when I picked up a pre sale code it said, in case date in your local ticketing system differs you can use that code for any date in that city.

Also, it said the code can only be used once and deactivates and can only be used for 2 tickets.

suprefan
06-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Okay, when I picked up a pre sale code it said, in case date in your local ticketing system differs you can use that code for any date in that city.

Also, it said the code can only be used once and deactivates and can only be used for 2 tickets.

It deactivates after you make a purchase. If you dont buy the tickets its still valid...

uscjeff
06-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Nice. Got my code. Anyone have an idea if they are that limited? I have some friends trying to track down Reward Zone account info

JustSteve
06-04-2008, 08:49 AM
yes they are. you also had to be a member before may 1st, '08.

Ardentbiscuit
06-04-2008, 08:57 AM
It deactivates after you make a purchase. If you dont buy the tickets its still valid...

Good to know, I just briefly read the disclaimer, it was so long I stopped reading it.

uscjeff
06-04-2008, 09:53 AM
The Coldplaying MB claims that is is being leaked right now on http://www.justintimberlakeforum.net/

WTF!

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46089

superfiction
06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
http://www.justintimberlakeforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=669&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

thats where its actually located but rapid share is being fucked up for me

superfiction
06-04-2008, 10:11 AM
ok i got some of the songs.

holy shit "yes" is really really really good

eudaemonia
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
So far I'm liking "42" lots...

superfiction your icon make me queasy. :o

superfiction
06-04-2008, 10:25 AM
youve never seen the rejected cartoons?

that thread i posted has the whole album minus a studio version of life in technicolor. you just hafta dig through it a little

schoolofruckus
06-04-2008, 10:27 AM
"Cemeteries of London" is awesome.

eudaemonia
06-04-2008, 10:27 AM
nice, i'll do some digging. for the rejected cartoons too. thanks!

amyzzz
06-04-2008, 10:33 AM
The easiest way to see if that coudl happen is if there are really good tickets up for grabs right now. If they stay for a while, then they might do something like that.
There are. I checked yesterday.

uscjeff
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
So this sendspace link is the whole album?

circles
06-04-2008, 10:41 AM
can i get a link please.

superfiction
06-04-2008, 10:42 AM
So this sendspace link is the whole album?

i got all t he tracks before people started lumping them together but i think there are a couple sendspace links at the end of the thread

BlackSwan
06-04-2008, 11:07 AM
So far I'm liking "42" lots...

Agreed, 42 is impressive for a Coldplay song...

holy shit, Cemeteries of London is good too...

Yes isn't bad either. Might have to catch these guys live...

superfiction
06-04-2008, 11:19 AM
i also love the last track...after death and all his friends. its called the escapist i guess

BlackSwan
06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
the full album leaked today...

and wow, Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love is great too.

superfiction
06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
it leaked yesterday?

BlackSwan
06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
it leaked yesterday?

all the leaks that i found yesterday wasn't the full album.

tessalasset
06-05-2008, 12:03 PM
just gimme track 1 and i'm set.

full on idle
06-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I thought your favorite would be Lost!

superfiction
06-05-2008, 12:05 PM

guess i just got lucky :)

tessalasset
06-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I thought your favorite would be Lost!

nope. 42. which, coincidentally, is one of the special numbers on Lost.

amyzzz
06-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Isn't 42 some kind of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference? (or "special number"). Also, "Don't Panic" would be another HGttG reference.

I haven't heard the song--I'm just saying.

BlackSwan
06-05-2008, 12:46 PM
anyone know how fast the LA show sold out?

ArcadeParade
06-05-2008, 01:31 PM
the link on what is messed up, no?

edit: got it! :D

MissingPerson
06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Isn't 42 some kind of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference? (or "special number"). Also, "Don't Panic" would be another HGttG reference.

I haven't heard the song--I'm just saying.

As is Paranoid Android.

Also, not to press a point or anything, but Coldplay, WTF?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/11992-1.jpg
http://www.observer.com/files/imagecache/article-teaser/files/winbutler.JPG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/61033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/R3YF8VK.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/coldplayheart.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/jill_valentine/ARCADE20FIRE20bw202HIRES.jpg

Creepy, man. That's creepy.

amyzzz
06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
As is Paranoid Android.

Yeah, I knew that one too, but I was talking about Coldplay, not Radiohead.

MissingPerson
06-05-2008, 02:51 PM
You've got 10,136 posts here. You should know as well as anybody that all threads eventually lead to Radiohead, regardless of actual relevance.

amyzzz
06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
True enough.

BlackSwan
06-05-2008, 03:06 PM
You've got 10,136 posts here. You should know as well as anybody that all threads eventually lead to Radiohead, regardless of actual relevance.

i'm tempted to sig this.

MissingPerson
06-05-2008, 03:11 PM
For the record, I apologise for my part in accellerating the inevitable process. I let my nerd-reflexes override my better judgement. My nerd-fu is just too keenly honed, I lashed out without thinking.

My tremendous ego will only get all bloated and creepy should I be sig-quoted, so I greatly encourage it.

shotglass75
06-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Speaking of Radiohead.... I'm listening to the new Coldplay album right now and am quite impressed. They have changed it up quite a bit but have managed to still make it sound like Coldplay.

OK bye

amyzzz
06-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I can't wait to listen to it.

PassiveTheory
06-05-2008, 03:25 PM
I can't wait to listen to it.

Ditto.

A bounty of nice words is in order for anyone who rapidshares it to me!

amyzzz
06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I probably won't hear it for at least another week. I just listened to the newest NIN finally this week. I'm a slacker.

shotglass75
06-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Just got to "Death and all His Friends" WOW!!!!!!

suprefan
06-05-2008, 03:30 PM

I found a full version yesterday with bonus tracks.

MissingPerson
06-05-2008, 03:32 PM
I must say, I remain baffled by the Coldplay love.

I work in Retail. I've heard more Coldplay music than I've breathed air. And still, I don't think I can remember a single lyric other than "mfmfmfmfmfmf - Yellow!"

Although I do know a girl who does a fantastic acapella version of that song.

suprefan
06-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Well if you like U2, you would like this record, the Eno influence is very obvious.....

BlackSwan
06-05-2008, 03:41 PM
I found a full version yesterday with bonus tracks.

torrent?

PassiveTheory
06-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Thank you he who shall remain un-named lest he desire being revealed!

amyzzz
06-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Heya, PT, send it to me. :)

Sushov23
06-05-2008, 03:54 PM
PT link? please? PM?

Sushov23
06-05-2008, 04:03 PM
thanks to the person who read my request. You kick ass.

BobCaygeon
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
If you have access to a newsgroup reader, a number of copies have been posted in alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.complete_cd.

Jerm05
06-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Well if you like U2, you would like this record, the Eno influence is very obvious.....

oooo! I can't wait

suprefan
06-05-2008, 06:11 PM
torrent?

Yeah, what else.....

RotationSlimWang
06-05-2008, 06:12 PM
One of you Chris Martin loving fags PM me a good torrent link so I can make fun of this properly.

suprefan
06-05-2008, 06:17 PM
You on Demnoid? Go here (http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1504661/3839609/)

RotationSlimWang
06-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks lover.

BlackSwan
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah, what else.....

file transfer network.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 09:15 AM

yep - there are parts that are very red hill mining town and unforgettable fire - fo sho.

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 09:19 AM
i hate U2

i used to hate Coldplay

and i like this album a lot, so there is that side of it too.

tessalasset
06-06-2008, 09:20 AM
I like how Randy pretends he's not a Coldplay fan.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 10:13 AM
you all can listen to the album in full here:

http://www.iheartmusic.com/cc-common/news/sections/special/coldplay.html

superfiction
06-06-2008, 10:19 AM
not to star taklign about radiohead again, but the bridge or breakdown or solo or whatever you wanna call it in 42 sounds awfully johnny greenwood esque

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 10:29 AM
i disagree - sounds like brian eno

PassiveTheory
06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
I guess because I was listening to it while writing a psych paper that I didn't feel like I was really LISTENING to it... But yeah, some of the songs are really interesting, like 42, the closing track, the singles (both of which I like regardless of what you have to say), and Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love.

Yes is the best track so far, btw.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 10:43 AM
i agree

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 11:27 AM
not to star taklign about radiohead again, but the bridge or breakdown or solo or whatever you wanna call it in 42 sounds awfully johnny greenwood esque

i agree, all of 42 reminds me of Radiohead, the progression, the way he is singing, everything.

I guess because I was listening to it while writing a psych paper that I didn't feel like I was really LISTENING to it... But yeah, some of the songs are really interesting, like 42, the closing track, the singles (both of which I like regardless of what you have to say), and Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love.

Really? I like it a lot too, but i dunno about the best. it sounds like Coldplay going shoegaze for a song.

Newro7ic
06-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Coldplay
Coldplay

Coldplay

Wednesday, July 14
The Forum

July 14th - just added!
On Sale Saturday, Jun 7 at 10:00 am!

July 15th - sold out!

suprefan
06-06-2008, 11:55 AM
not sold out...

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 12:03 PM
ok - it's official - i love this record. took a few days - but just the soundscapes and textures eno does to tunes and the bookends of tunes, all wrap it up in one awfully nice package.

suprefan
06-06-2008, 12:19 PM
But will you pay $100+ a ticket to see them do this though.

Sushov23
06-06-2008, 12:21 PM
supre you catching Coldplay on this tour?

suprefan
06-06-2008, 12:22 PM
supre you catching Coldplay on this tour?

I just saw it for FREE, you think Im going to see them now? As it stands, nothing will be better than the last time I saw them, if I saw them again. So why ''ruin'' that.

superfiction
06-06-2008, 12:33 PM

yes.

..no pun intended

superfiction
06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
i agree, all of 42 reminds me of Radiohead, the progression, the way he is singing, everything.

Really? I like it a lot too, but i dunno about the best. it sounds like Coldplay going shoegaze for a song.

i LOVE your avatar. danger rules

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 12:57 PM
danger rules

yeah he does. i am eagerly awaiting an oppurtunity to see him live. he is coming to ny in july and is trying to book in sf, but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 02:19 PM
But will you pay $100+ a ticket to see them do this though.

I would if they were close and my seats were very close. They are only coming to Cleveland

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Coldplay can suck a fat fucking cock.

people can be really dumb sometimes.

Seriously, even non-Coldplay fans should give this a go, esp if they like what Eno does to pop bands like U2 and James. While it still is undoubtably them, they have stretched things a bit, not only in production but song structure and tone.

Come to think of it - the new LP reminds me a lot of James' Wah Wah record (also produced by Eno), just waaaay more finished and polished with more melodies. Maybe even some background parts of the Laid record too.

Anyone else hear that?

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 02:30 PM
people can be really dumb sometimes.

the first hint is the Queens of the Stone Age avatar.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 02:32 PM
I was going to say something about that - but they have good and bad records too. that avatar is from a very bad one.

then again, i have rocketeer art

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I was going to say something about that - but they have good and bad records too. that avatar is from a very bad one.

then again, i have rocketeer art

what are you talking about rocketeer FTW!

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 03:16 PM
haha

suprefan
06-06-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a headbanging shake listening to an ipod, and i dont even own an ipod. i think rocketeer is alright.

so yeah, given this a better listen today since I have had time, I like it, the singles are ok. Its better than X and Y which is a telltale that I would like it more, great production, I wasnt sold on it when I saw it on jimmy Kimmel, but Im still not going to pay to see them play.

PassiveTheory
06-06-2008, 03:22 PM
The Rocketeer was the first movie I fell in love with as a kid.

I even have the audio on cassette tape somewhere...

RotationSlimWang
06-06-2008, 03:23 PM
And Passive finds a way to suck even more. Good going, Passive.

PassiveTheory
06-06-2008, 03:26 PM
And Passive finds a way to suck even more. Good going, Passive.

I'd find this more insulting if I could actually take you seriously anymore.

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 03:26 PM
i think rocketeer is alright.

still better than QOTSA.

RotationSlimWang
06-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Take this seriously--you're worse than gay cancer.

suprefan
06-06-2008, 03:28 PM
still better than QOTSA.

I love Queens, but that album cover was lame...

PassiveTheory
06-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Gay cancer is serious business, yo.

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Ithat album cover was lame...

agreed.

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I would if they were close and my seats were very close. They are only coming to Cleveland

either way, i am probably going to see them. they just better have top notch stage production, after Radiohead and REM, they have a lot to live up to.

suprefan
06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Ok, so what did R.E.M. have? And it wont hold a candle to RH.

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Ok, so what did R.E.M. have? And it wont hold a candle to RH.

oh it wasn't close to RH, but they sounded just as good if not better. granted, there music more straight forward and it could have just been the Greek, but REM might have been the best show, sound-wise, i have seen in a long time.

couple pics i took, that don't really do it justice...

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4605/p1070655af7.jpg

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1581/p1070653gm2.jpg

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/4876/p1070637lj2.jpg

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
not my videos...

Mv2CT5UWv7s

ioprhJbHFXs

around 1:25...

AXCvzAcQeXs

suprefan
06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Its just lots of screens....... Ok...........

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 04:30 PM
All those screens = very Zoo TV. Kinda cool, I liked it when they had all the neon signs during the Up tour a bit better.

I wait and pass judgement on the Coldplay show when I finally see it in some form - but yeah, RH have a effing cool set up right now. Life is good.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 04:31 PM
another positive review of Vida...

Ok, let me get this out of the way from the get-go. I really like Coldplay. There I said it. More importantly in terms of this record, I should also admit to my vast fondness for U2, there, I said that. Now that we have that in the open, it’s no secret that Coldplay harbor some U2-ish aspirations in records past. Nothing wrong with that. I even remember seeing the Vertigo tour in Chicago and right before Bono and company took the stage, the stereo started blasting Colplay’s ‘Clocks’ and a spotlight pointed out that Mr. Martin was in one of the skyboxes (apparently taking a note or two). The most amazing thing was the crowd’s reaction, the 20,000 sang ‘Clocks’ like it was one of Bono’s own. It was a true passing of the big band torch moment, unfortunately, that torch is quite heavy, especially when the U2 really have no intention of giving it up completely. Then came Coldplay’s somewhat maligned and tepidly received X and Y. While it has some great moments on it (Fix You, What If), the predictable, soft-hard-soft-hard-soft track listing hurt the overall appeal of the record and it just hasn’t aged very well. Enter uber-producer (and U2 main button pusher) Brian Eno.

Eno and Coldplay immediately address the weaker points (production and track listing) of X and Y on their newest release, the strangely titled: ‘Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends’. The initial results are fantastic, the track listing is very narrative and logical and the production via the ethereal Eno, acts like little sonic band-aids in all the right places. Right away listeners will notice the atmospheric touches from Eno. Acting like the band’s 5th member, he adds beautiful soundscapes that add texture and layers, giving the songs tons of depth and dynamics. The record takes a while to get going, sure: the electro-instrumental opener ‘Life In Technicolor’ sounds like something from James’ Wah Wah sessions (also Eno) and seems a tad unnecessary until it gets book ended as the albums final track. The first few tracks build on each other – with Chris Martin’s voice giving a ghostly play by play, it’s all quite surreal, but equally enjoyable. Viva really hits it’s stride though when ‘Lost’ starts up, church organs, handclap rhythms, and a stronger vocal from Martin. Then we get the amazing 42, a very classic sound la ‘Trouble’ with Martin plucking the ivories and playing his best balladeer. Then just as you settle in, it oddly breaks into a rock stomper, somewhat new territory for this band. 42 has a structure that some will say is aped from Radiohead’s ‘Paranoid Android’, and that may be somewhat true, but it all works in Coldplay’s own little world. The rest of the middle session of the record is equal parts familiar, and parts where Eno has really pushed what he can do with the band at hand. There is rarely a weak moment. Lyrically sound, Martin’s voice is given the spotlight when needed, and other times background voices and choirs become more apparent, again more Eno magic.’Yes’ is one the track that delivers on the band’s promise of some middle eastern influences, albeit slight, they are definintely there. ‘Yes’ ends up being another amazing song, it’s simply Coldplay being Coldplay, a formula that’s been a pretty good one to date. Now to the obvious, with Eno behind the wheel, and stadium rock and Coldplay already comfy bed-fellows, Viva was bound to have some typical U2 moments on it. The most blatant of which, are the Josuha Tree friendly, ‘Lovers in Japan’, and the riveting ‘Chinese Sleep Chant’. Both will be big hits in those massive arenas in the near future, but despite all the Edge-isms, the end result is a combo of tracks perfectly executed in all areas for this band and this album.

By the time we get to the itunes advert, and title track, the album gets even stronger. The title song is indeed a great single, and carries the rag-tag revolutionary theme of the record on its shoulders without problem. Viva pours directly into Violent Hill’s gospel blues and ends with another tender moment of Coldplay of old, namely Martin and his piano. Strawberry Swing gives a little break from all the hub-bub of the stadium filling fare, and does so with compelling results. The finally act of Death and All His Friends expands on Chris’ introspective piano intro with Buckland’s guitar echoing in church-like rhythm until the song grows into this uplifting vocal chant. Moment later it morphs into the afformentioned instrumental from the opener, this time with lyrics. When Martin sings the final chapter, “in the end we lie awake and dream of making our escape”, it’s a somewhat chilling and effective bookend to a great sonic landscape.

While this is very much Eno’s record, it still is undoubtably Coldplay. Together the two artists have stretched themselves a bit, not only in songwriting and production, but in ambition and accomplishment

BlackSwan
06-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Its just lots of screens....... Ok...........

look at the videos there are lights around the stage and behind the screens. of course it's nothing like Radiohead.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I love Queens, but that album cover was lame...

VERY lame. I hate looking at it.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I've listened to Vida about 15 times through now (yay work headphones!)

My God, I am loving this record sooooooo much. It is very much Eno's record, which is right in my wheelhouse.

I'm sure Pitchfork will give it a 5.1or something like that - dumbasses

suprefan
06-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Ok, Im getting ready to watch the Kimmel performance. I see myself,thomthom and fatbastard in a couple of frames, and before they come back from commercial they do one of those crowd shots overhead. What does Ficklecycle do? Daft Punk pyramid hands, god, I could not stop laughing.....

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Haha. Link?

Oh and Pitchfork is so predictable - I just checked their past reviews:

Coldplay
Parachutes
[Nettwerk]
Pitchfork Rating: 5.3

Coldplay
A Rush of Blood to the Head
[Capitol; 2002]
Pitchfork Rating: 5.1

Coldplay
X&Y
[Capitol; 2005]
Pitchfork Rating: 4.9

suprefan
06-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Tivo is my friend. This should be where it will show up. Im sure somebody put it on youtube too.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/jimmykimmel/garage/index.html

orbit
06-06-2008, 05:31 PM
My God, I am loving this record sooooooo much. It is very much Eno's record, which is right in my wheelhouse.

you mention eno in every post. like the album would be a total shit if it wasn't because of him. well, maybe yes.

I just listened to it and at least it's better than x&y thanks god. but also it's not as great as some people/reviews make it look.

menikmati
06-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Supre, what's the big deal with this competition of no band can touch RH's stage set up? Who cares? What's the big deal? There is none...it's pointless. Lights and screens and spaceships and UFO's don't impress me at all....just play the fuckin music and I'm happy. I can care less about stage set ups, and it's stupid to get defensive about one band's set up over another.

orbit
06-06-2008, 06:09 PM
I loved the Radiohead shows but to be fair that stage setup wasn't that great. it was cool, though.

wmgaretjax
06-06-2008, 06:29 PM
so I just listened to it. Better than the last one, but it's still pretty shitty. The production is not nearly as good as people are making it out to be. Eno has been behind the curve for a long time (yeah, I said it, and I fucking mean it, the next mediocre drone record he puts out will be just as lame). I don't hate it, but it's nothing to blink twice over.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 06:59 PM
so I just listened to it. Better than the last one, but it's still pretty shitty. The production is not nearly as good as people are making it out to be. Eno has been behind the curve for a long time (yeah, I said it, and I fucking mean it, the next mediocre drone record he puts out will be just as lame). I don't hate it, but it's nothing to blink twice over.

You are off your rocker, apart from it being better than the last one - which is true. But this record is so far from shitty, I find it hard even those who don't like Coldplay could call it that. You are starting to worry me. Take the Spin Doctors off the stereo and try again.

The production is splendid by the way.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 07:02 PM
you mention eno in every post. like the album would be a total shit if it wasn't because of him. well, maybe yes.

He is such a big part of this record it is hard to ignore his input.

The album wouldn't be bad if he wasn't all over it, but I doubt the songs would be the same songs on the final cut without him. He definitely addressed the tracklisting and flow of this record - something Coldplay has (admittedly) had trouble with in the past, that is one of the reasons they say they roped him in.

the atmospheric stuff is icing (albeit thickly layered) on the cake.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Supre, what's the big deal with this competition of no band can touch RH's stage set up? Who cares? What's the big deal? There is none...it's pointless. Lights and screens and spaceships and UFO's don't impress me at all....just play the fuckin music and I'm happy. I can care less about stage set ups, and it's stupid to get defensive about one band's set up over another.

no one can touch past U2 stage set ups (Zoo TV and Outside Broadcast)

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Coldplay really does suck major ass though. I don't get all the fanboy worship. Same could be said about Radiohead. Although they actually deliver.

I'm no fanboy, I really don't see fanboy worship ever for Coldplay, esp not here. I just know a good record when I hear it (something I haven't heard from Queens in a long while by the way)

I know you are a 16 year with a lot to prove in the man department, don't worry it will all make sense in a few years.

I'm also manly enough to say I like Coldplay - your repeated call outs of "pussy" tells me you are a closet Clay Aiken fan, no worries though, it's 2008 after all, I'm sure your family will be very supportive!

Their opinion was void the moment they posted in this thread.

as was the moment YOU posted in this thread, you make no sense retard.

MissingPerson
06-06-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm not a huge REM fan, but man, that stage set up looks amazing.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 07:48 PM
If you misinterpreted me calling you a pussy for liking the new record as me questioning your sexuality, then you need some serious fucking help. .

Um that was NOT the case, believe me - I could really give two shits, but I do find it funny that you feel the need to go there when something like Coldplay comes up though - speaks volumes my friend.

So.. stuff a cock in it, ******.

See there you go again. You are stunningly juvenille.

Nor do I listen to them 15 times a day.

I don't - I've had the Coldplay record for about 2 weeks now. I did have it on while I worked all day, true - but believe me I listen to plenty of things. I also like to really know what I'm talking about, whether that's Coldplay putting out a good record or whether it's Queens last one being totally unsatisfying in every way. (and I like them very much). So critizing someone for listening in depth, many times to a record is well, extremely silly.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 08:08 PM
you are boring now, get back to the cocks and pussies.

superfiction
06-07-2008, 12:39 AM
yeah he does. i am eagerly awaiting an oppurtunity to see him live. he is coming to ny in july and is trying to book in sf, but it hasn't been confirmed yet.

stfu he's coming to the states? shiiiit i wish i was close to either of these places. how do you knkow he's trying to book sf did you myspace mesage him?

BlackSwan
06-07-2008, 01:39 AM
did you myspace mesage him?

nope.

C DUB YA
06-07-2008, 09:08 AM
i think my fave tracks are Lost and 42... or maybe Death and all his Friends/The Escapist, that combo is pretty great closer. I'm sure all this will change when i get my vinyl.

JSam67
06-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Viva la Vida is the worst song, I think. I can't decide on my favorites but I really enjoy Yes!, Strawberry Swing & Cemeteries of London. Plus, the ones you listed, C Dub. I'm liking the CD a lot more than I expected, I definitely feel a progression in songwriting and can take this CD seriously. I'm willing to say it's Eno's doing, too.

C DUB YA
06-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Me too, I am liking this A WHOLE LOT MORE than I thought I would, and I like Coldplay to begin with. As it has been pointed out on here by my countless mentions of the man, I am a huge Eno fan (going all the way back to Roxy), but I just like what he does to pop bands... esp U2's best work. I was quite optimistic when I heard he got involved, because I knew you would hear him and his touches rather loudly on a Coldplay record, and that has been proven true on Viva. You can definitely hear him all over this thing. Maybe a bit heavy handed for some listeners you know his work, but for me - it's a plus in the best sense of the word.

I agree Viva might be the worst song, maybe because we see it every five seconds in the itunes ad. I dig the cadence of the chorus (2 and 3) though.

You are right about Yes, it is very cool too. I like the slight middle eastern feel to it.

JSam67
06-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Haha yeah that queer commercial doesn't help that song any. Yes! really is great, the last couple minutes really remind me of MBV, something I never thought Coldplay was capable of.

C DUB YA
06-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Exactly! I didn't think they would do a song like that or even a simple instrumental intro like Life in Technicolour, your right, very MBV - kinda weird for them, somehow though, it works.

I'm jealous you get Sigur in a few days.

wmgaretjax
06-07-2008, 09:46 AM
"...in the end we lie awake and dream of making our escape."

nuff said.

JSam67
06-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Exactly! I didn't think they would do a song like that or even a simple instrumental intro like Life in Technicolour, your right, very MBV - kinda weird for them, somehow though, it works.

I'm jealous you get Sigur in a few days.

I know, it totally caught me off-guard on first listen, I'm pretty sure that's my favorite of the whole bunch because it explores so many different ideas. Many of the songs have a lot of different parts to them, I like that.

I think I was just reading about you recounting seeing Sigur Ros in Vegas in a SR thread, so consider the jealousy equal on this side. I really can't wait, I've wanted to see them for years and finally a good opportunity arose. The theater looks awesome, too. I'm hoping to get emotionally rocked, and from the looks of it, with all those folks on horns/strings/etc playing with them, the chances are pretty high that I will.

C DUB YA
06-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I think their (Sigur Ros) new record is going to be great. They usually are.

Live - they are one of my favorite acts, a completely different experience live for sure. You are going to have a great time.

back to the play of the cold, I totally agree with you, I like that a few songs are segmented into different "acts" and switch gears on a dime.

uscjeff
06-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Tour start postponed 2 weeks - now starting in LA

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003814498

TomAz
06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Coldplay is the worst band to come along in years.

amyzzz
06-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Oh that's fucked up. The dates start the weekend after the Phoenix date. Fuck. And the new Phoenix date is Nov 26th the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. That is so fucked. Now they need to discount the remaining tickets, and maybe I'll go. :)

edit: AND WE HAD A SATURDAY TOUR DATE FOR ONCE! argh.

BlackSwan
06-10-2008, 01:08 PM
totally saw this coming... at least the one San Jose date is the same.

amyzzz
06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Tickets didn't seem to be selling well here in Phoenix. They still had tickets remaining in the highest price point.

suprefan
06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Interesting, and I forget where or who I had heard talking about L.a. being the start of the tour, guess they were right without taking note the rest of the dates.

redone dates if you wanna look

14/07/08 Los Angeles, CA The Forum

15/07/08 Los Angeles, CA The Forum

18/07/08 San Jose, CA HP Pavilion on sale

19/07/08 Las Vegas, NV MGM Grand Garden Arena

23/07/08 Chicago, IL United Center

25/07/08 Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center

27/07/08 Pemberton, BC Pemberton Festival

29/07/08 Montreal, QC Bell Centre

30/07/08 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre

02/08/08 Hartford, CT XL Center

03/08/08 Washington, DC Verizon Center

04/08/08 Boston, MA TD Banknorth Garden

20/10/08 Ottawa, ON Scotiabank Place

21/10/08 Cleveland, OH Quicken Loans Arena

26/10/08 East Rutherford, NJ IZOD Center

03/11/08 Detroit, MI Palace of Auburn Hills

07/11/0: Orlando, FL Amway Arena

09/11/08 Ft Lauderdale, FL BankAtlantic Center

11/11/08: Atlanta, GA Philips Arena

13/11/08 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center

14/11/08 St Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center

16/11/08 Oklahoma City, OK Ford Center

18/11/08 Houston, TX Toyota Center

19/11/08 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center

21/11/08 Denver, CO Pepsi Center Arena

22/11/08 Salt Lake City, UT Energy Solutions Arena

26/11/08 Phoenix, AZ Jobing.com Arena

ArcadeParade
06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
thats fuckin bs...Winnipeg is takin right out!

damn!

BlackSwan
06-10-2008, 04:40 PM
it's weird the 2 two live nation dates in nor-cal were taken right out too.

suprefan
06-10-2008, 04:43 PM
I think they were never in the works, and that they might add one date, possibly San Diego after the L.A. dates.

amyzzz
06-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I guess I should be happy they actually re-scheduled the Phx date. By November maybe I'll have the money to go.

PassiveTheory
06-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I swore they had an SD date... whatever. Their tickets are so fucking expensive that I can really only hope to see them headline Coachella again if I am to see them.

amyzzz
06-10-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't get why Coldplay think they are Madonna or Billy Joel or something.

suprefan
06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
More people like them than you think, and they are getting paid A LOT for this tour. Also, Madonna cant sell tickets like she used to, last I checked, she hasnt sold out the field seats for her Dodger Stadium date.

PassiveTheory
06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah... they are huge here... Oh well.

amyzzz
06-10-2008, 05:21 PM
That's no reason to jack up their prices so high. What about their poor fans?

PassiveTheory
06-10-2008, 05:27 PM
They don't have any... *sigh*

The majority of Coldplay's fans are rich yuppies, scenester kids, and soccer moms that can afford the tickets.

MissingPerson
06-10-2008, 05:28 PM
That's no reason to jack up their prices so high. What about their poor fans?

Well, you know how much Chris Martin hates the poor...

amyzzz
06-10-2008, 05:44 PM
They do so have poor fans.

MissingPerson
06-10-2008, 05:55 PM
They do so have poor fans.

Well sure, their poor fans have to listen to Coldplay.

BlackSwan
06-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I think they were never in the works..

i could tell something was fishy when they were only on Live Nation. weird.

ThomThom
06-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Jesus, what did they do to their itinerary? That's a mess.

BlackSwan
06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
that's what happens when you mess with magic balls.

PassiveTheory
06-11-2008, 01:49 AM
If you'd only,
if you'd only say yes.
Whether you will
is anybody's guess.
God only, God knows
I'm trying my best,
but I'm just so tired
of this loneliness.

BlackSwan
06-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Don't remember if this was posted so I won't copy the whole thing, but a positve response to VLV from Stereogum... http://stereogum.com/archives/premature-evaluation/premature-evaluation-coldplay-viva-la-vida-or-deat_010260.html

Learned something interesting that I didn't know... "...the fact that it's already the best selling album presale in iTunes history, and on track to be the highest first week sales of any album in iTunes history..."

however, they are not the "Biggest Band In The World".

shakermaker113
06-11-2008, 09:36 AM

just think about their carbon footprint now. radiohead would be ashamed.

C DUB YA
06-11-2008, 10:09 AM

from what I read - the show is quite the undertaking, and they didn't leave enough time for the production of it.

Silly, but it happens from time to time, some bands choose to build on their production as the tour goes on (U2, Prince, SFA, etc...) others work everything out from the beginning.

Logistically, they shoulda had it worked out long time ago, but i give them props for not shortchanging anyone.

luckyface
06-11-2008, 10:11 AM
They are shortchanging the people who had committed to go to the shows they had planned for the first two weeks of their tour. Imagine the people who made plans to travel to see them or the people who will not be around when they hit the city in the future.

BlackSwan
06-11-2008, 10:15 AM
from what I read - the show is quite the undertaking, and they didn't leave enough time for the production of it.

where did you read about it in detail beyond the whole magic balls thing?

amyzzz
06-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Fuck the huge show. I just want to hear them PLAY. (and not have to pay exorbitant prices). Those assholes.

BlackSwan
06-11-2008, 10:23 AM
i want a huge show, if i have to sit through yellow i want there to be something interesting to look at.

amyzzz
06-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, fuck you too.

BlackSwan
06-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, fuck you too.

hey, don't get all pissy with me just because you have a problem with dropping a minimum of $44.30 for a Coldplay ticket.

betao
06-11-2008, 10:48 AM
so heres my fathers day plan...

my dad told me about a week ago, that if i was going to get him anything for fathers day, just to get him a CD by coldplay - he said he was really into them, heard some of the new stuff and loved it. my plan is to surprise him with 2 tickets to go see them in DC (now aug 3rd). I've been on ebay trying to score a couple of tickets for the show.

i dont suppose anyone here has an extra pair of tickets to that show? unlikely , i know, but i thought i'd ask anyway.

fatbastard
06-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Coldplay postpones North American tour launch
June 10, 2008 02:06 PM
By Jon Zahlaway
LiveDaily Senior Writer
British pop-rockers Coldplay [ tickets ], who were due to launch their world tour in North America later this month, have pushed back the kick off due to "production delays."
"We're very sorry, but unfortunately Coldplay have had to move the dates of some of the previously-announced US shows," reads an announcement posted today (6/10) at the group's website. "The band have experienced some production delays which mean that the show simply won't be ready for June 29. It's very frustrating but they promise you a show worthy of your patience and understanding when they start in mid-July."

The group's tour schedule, which originally was set to get underway June 29 in Philadelphia, will now commence with a two-night stand in the Los Angeles area July 14-15, with the first leg wrapping up in Boston Aug. 4; the second leg is scheduled to launch in late October and run through late November. The new itinerary is included below.

Tickets for the originally scheduled shows will be valid on the make-up dates, and refunds are available at the point of purchase for ticketholders who are unable to attend the rescheduled shows, according to organizers.

A previously announced free concert at New York City's Madison Square Garden remains intact for June 23, according to the group's website.

Coldplay's impending roadtrip will support its forthcoming album, "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends," which features the lead single "Violet Hill." Slated to hit North American record outlets June 17, the new set was produced by Brian Eno and Markus Dravs.

"Viva la Vida" follows Coldplay's 2005 Grammy-nominated set, "X&Y," which entered The Billboard 200 at No. 1 and has since sold more than 10 million copies on the strength of modern-rock/pop hits including "Talk," "Fix You" and "Speed of Sound."

BlackSwan
06-11-2008, 12:03 PM
it would be nice to know who is opening for them...

amyzzz
06-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Radiohead!

eudaemonia
06-11-2008, 12:42 PM
re: Postponement -- Maybe this had something to do with it?

Coldplay, Beatles Lose Leader

By the time you read this column, Lee Trink, the popular and affable president of Capitol Records, will be telling his troops his last day is June 30.

Sources tell me Trink’s resignation will be followed in short order by that of Jason Flom, head of Virgin Records. Both labels are part of EMI Music.

And get this: Neither Trink nor Flom will be replaced. Guy Hands and the folks from Terra Firma, the new owners of EMI who have no experience in the record business, don’t believe in label presidents.

This means that as Coldplay — the group headed by Gwyneth Paltrow’s husband, Chris Martin — releases "Viva La Vida," the biggest album of its career, its American record label will have no one running it. This also means that the Beatles will have no one directly representing them. Neither will Katy Perry, who has the No. 1 single in the country with "I Kissed a Girl," or any other Capitol acts.

And the funny part is that none of them knows it. As of Monday morning, no one from EMI had bothered to call the people representing any of those acts to tell them the news.

(Read more @ source (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364848,00.html))

BlackSwan
06-11-2008, 12:54 PM
EMI is SUCH a mess.

fatbastard
06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
How about Yoko?

PassiveTheory
06-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I think Death and All His Friends should have been the album opener, not closer.

C DUB YA
06-11-2008, 07:39 PM
They are shortchanging the people who had committed to go to the shows they had planned for the first two weeks of their tour. Imagine the people who made plans to travel to see them or the people who will not be around when they hit the city in the future.

or people like me who couldn't go - but now can

C DUB YA
06-11-2008, 07:40 PM
where did you read about it in detail beyond the whole magic balls thing?

Q mag had a piece on it last month

suprefan
06-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Radiohead!

In Chris Martins dreams....

MissingPerson
06-11-2008, 08:14 PM
He's doing it again.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5409/21184758wq9.jpg

suprefan
06-11-2008, 08:47 PM
An anxious Rock god huh?

PassiveTheory
06-11-2008, 08:56 PM
*face palm*

I really hope that guy doesn't have his agent write those titles... my god...

ThomThom
06-11-2008, 09:23 PM
He's doing it again.

This can't be real. Jesus...

BlackSwan
06-11-2008, 09:44 PM
He's doing it again.

why does he have to make it so hard to like their music?

BlackSwan
06-12-2008, 09:04 AM
anyone just buy Coldplay tickets for 7/18? if you did what seats did you get?

TomAz
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM
why does he have to make it so hard to like their music?

Coldplay is the most convincing argument for death metal that I've come across.

whynotsmile99
06-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Rolling Stone used to have such good cover shots now they are all garbage

rage patton
06-12-2008, 09:55 AM

Awesome. Sigged.

C DUB YA
06-12-2008, 11:57 AM

Death metal is the most convincing argument for Coldplay that I've come across.

schoolofruckus
06-12-2008, 12:40 PM
He's doing it again.

Did he already steal Facebook before?

suprefan
06-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Shearwater is opening for Coldplay on this tour.

Ok, nice job guys, you again get something thats like whatever for an opener...

roberto73
06-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Death metal is the most convincing argument for Coldplay that I've come across.

Argument is the most convincing Coldplay for death metal that I've come across.

See? I can play, too.

BlackSwan
06-14-2008, 10:39 AM

wtf? Shearwater?

circles
06-14-2008, 11:59 PM
the tour maybe delayed more... chris martin injured his knee.
http://1051channelq.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104661&article=3819719

suprefan
06-15-2008, 12:27 AM
I doubt it messes with the U.S. dates, theyll reschedule the u.k. ones if they have to.

BlackSwan
06-15-2008, 10:53 AM
the tour maybe delayed more... chris martin injured his knee.
http://1051channelq.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104661&article=3819719

awww, poor little chris.

C DUB YA
06-16-2008, 09:40 AM
ok things are gettin strange... Pitchfork actually gave it a "favorable" review of 6.5

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
ok things are gettin strange... Pitchfork actually gave it a "favorable" review of 6.5

I thought they would tear it apart....last time they loved Speed of Sound be hated all of X&Y...

PassiveTheory
06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Everyone hates X&Y... ugh...

amyzzz
06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
What is wrong with the RS cover? (I don't get all the derision)

rage patton
06-16-2008, 12:17 PM

Are you calling Black Mountain "whatever"?

MissingPerson
06-16-2008, 04:53 PM
What is wrong with the RS cover? (I don't get all the derision)

It's not really a single element of it, Amy. Rather it's the overall effect of each element combined. The over earnestness. The Tom Hanks expression of unconvincing sincerity. The costume, close up. The fact that he is, once again, actively trying to be Win Butler - which is not only lame but actively creepy. His hair. The tagline. The way Rolling Stone genuinely seem to believe he could cure lepers and heal the lame with but a thought. All of that adds up to a single, intensely and almost irrationally irritating whole.

Seriously Martin, I really, really want to like you. Why do you insist on making it so hard?

amyzzz
06-16-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't like Arcade Fire, so I wouldn't get the comparison. Assuming Win Butkler is in Arcade Fire? How would I know who is in that stupid band.