PDA

View Full Version : It's raining giant fake gorilla homes

gaypalmsprings
06-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Huge Fire Burns at Universal Studios Backlot

A huge fire continues to burn on Universal City's backlot today, destroying sound stages, much of the New York City streetscape and causing tens of millions of dollars worth of damage.

Four hours after the first report of a fire, flames continued to leap from a large warehouse on the lower, northern section of the massive facility, and a mushroom-shaped cloud continued to erupt over the San Fernando Valley.

The blaze was first reported in a sound stage on the studio backlot about 4:45 a.m., and at least 300 city and county firefighters were helping studio firefighters quench the blaze, which spread to the New York City streetscape, county fire Inspector Darryl Jacobs said.

At least one sound stage and several other buildings, including facades meant to look like New York, were believed to have been lost within about 30 minutes.

Shortly before 7 a.m., a building housing the King Kong exhibit went up in flames. That building escaped damage during a 1990 blaze that also swept through the same area.

allyjoy
06-01-2008, 08:27 AM
It was actually pretty cool to watch... the smell is ridiculous though-- burnt rubber is a buzz kill

Ardentbiscuit
06-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Geez, I remember that last fire, you would think a huge studio like that would have a better response time or their own mini fire core.

They lost a lot back then and I think the fire almost got the film vault.

I remember King Kong, especially the part when you go right by him and breathed on you with banana breath.

ivankay
06-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Almost to the film vault? That would be a horrible tragedy. Hopefully that stuff is in a fire proofed building underground.

whynotsmile99
06-01-2008, 09:29 AM
i worked on a movie that shot at the New York backlot a few months.

The sets are works of art and I always wanted to get a golf cart and go driving through all the little back lot cities.

What a sad thing to happen.

i guess they aren't doing the tram rides today?

iv3rdawG
06-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Why couldn't it have burned down that Fast and the Furious thing.

iv3rdawG
06-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Officials say the iconic courthouse square from Back to the Future, has been destroyed, and the famous clocktower that enabled star Michael J. Fox's character to time travel has been damaged.

Noooooo! :mad:

Ardentbiscuit
06-01-2008, 09:44 AM
It's depressing because they have so much history at Universal.

whynotsmile99
06-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Noooooo! :mad:

horrible!

schoolofruckus
06-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Holy SHIT. I had no idea it was this extensive. They lost a stage AND the square? That is going to fuck things up royally all over town.

devachan
06-01-2008, 10:08 AM
This is horrible news. I love that Back to the Future/Ghostwhispers set. And King Kong? Damn.

Edit:some of the earthquake attraction was damaged as well...

photos from reuters: http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Fire-devours-sets-Universal-Studios-Universal-Studios-War-of-the-Worlds-Universal-City2C-California/ss/events/en/060108universalfire/s:/ap/20080601/ap_on_re_us/studio_fire

woogie846
06-01-2008, 10:41 AM
NO! Not the King Kong exhibit!

luckyface
06-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Why couldn't it have burned down that Fast and the Furious thing.

Hahahaha awesome.

This really sucks. I hope they get it contained soon. I can't believe they lost the Back to the Future area.

iv3rdawG
06-04-2008, 07:18 AM
From Comingsoon.net:
Universal Studios Hollywood Not Rebuilding King Kong Ride
Source: Universal Studios Hollywood
June 4, 2008

Universal Studios Hollywood has confirmed in the following press release that the King Kong ride, that was part of the backlot tour and lost in the fire, will be replaced by a new "experience," while the New York Streets sets will be reconstructed:

Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal CityWalk have taken a "the show must go on" stance and are open for business as usual after a much-publicized weekend fire that damaged the King Kong backlot attraction and one area of film sets that were frequently visited by the Studio Tour.

All rides, shows and attractions are open and operating normally, including the new and much-acclaimed "The Simpsons Ride," which opened to spectacular reviews just weeks ago and joined "Revenge of the Mummy -- The Ride" and "Jurassic Park -- The Ride" as stand-out Universal Studios Hollywood thrill-ride experiences.

Neither Universal CityWalk, the popular entertainment, dining and retail complex nor the Universal CityWalk Cinemas were impacted and have also opened for business as usual. The Gibson Amphitheatre, the Sheraton Universal and the Universal Hilton Hotels are fully operational and were not affected by the incident.

Universal Studios Hollywood's parent company, NBC Universal, has announced its determination to rebuild and replace the film sets that were lost in the fire. Specifically, the New York Streets sets will be reconstructed and a new, compelling guest experience will ultimately replace the 22-year-old King Kong attraction.

Universal's world-renowned Studio Tour attraction will continue to take guests behind-the-scenes of an authentic working movie studio backlot, an ever-changing landscape, responding to a myriad of productions daily.