PDA

View Full Version : The new M. Night Shyamalan movie

unitedwestand
05-30-2008, 11:34 AM
It's called The Happening, and it's coming out on Friday, June 13th
At first, it just looked like another M. Night Shyamalan movie, but the second trailer that was released has me wondering-can this be as good as The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable or Signs?
here is a link to the trailers:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809921595/trailer
It is afterall his only R Rated movie,
and the second trailer makes it look scary as hell
But,will this just be another The Village or Lady in the Water? (Which weren't necessarily bad movies, just not as scary as Signs or the Sixth Sense?
M Night Shyamalan says this is his scariest movie he's ever done
And Oh Yeah, I hear everyone in the world ends up dying, which is always a pretty good thing in the hollywood movies.
So what do you think? Will you see it?

MassiveChemicalPunk
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Will you see it?

No.

miscorrections
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
M. Night Shyamalamamlalma is overly fond of twists. Unsatisfactory twists.

garrett222
05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I'll see it. but when he says its his 'scariest movie ever', i think he is referring to the villan being the environment, and it is scary because it may actually happen.

Hopeless Semantic
05-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Actually, when he doesn't try and be ornate his twists are brilliant. Case in point; his Sixth Sense and Signs. But on the other hand, he is capable of being completely too twisty and it just doesn't do anything else but confound (See: The Village & Unbreakable). He's kinda like the album you don't dig at first. It takes a few more views to get a better feel for his style. Unfortunately for him, I rarely will watch a movie twice.

I'll probably see it, but I won't run out and pull a hamstring in the process of doing it.

C DUB YA
05-30-2008, 11:49 AM
looks like crap, expect another letdown twist ending.

schoolofruckus
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
The Sixth Sense is great largely thanks to the twist.

Unbreakable was great before the twist, and still great after the twist.

Signs was great with a predictable but worthy twist.

The Village was sub-par until a great twist.

Lady In the Water was great without a twist.

The Happening looks interesting. Count me in.

C DUB YA
05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
6th Sense is great.

Unbreakable is passable

Signs is hardly a twist at best

The Village twist is a disappointing cop out.

Lady in the Water is crap, and everyone knows it.

The Happening might be ok, but I'm not bettin on this horse anymore, at least not in a first run theater, maybe second run or netflix, sure.

algunz
05-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I really like Night's style. There is so much more to every frame than at first glance. His movies get better every time you watch them.

I will definitely be seeing this.

Blinken
05-30-2008, 12:02 PM
I was excited during the preview until i saw his name.

C DUB YA
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
I was excited during the preview until i saw his name.

Agreed.

I can't watch his films more than once or twice - because surpisingly they come off rather flat upon repeat viewings - esp The Village.

humanoid
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
I really want to like it, I really enjoyed his first few movies

But the Village began to lose me a bit, and I think Lady in the Water might be one of the absolute worst films I have ever seen in my lifetime (literally)

thestripe
05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Does this need it's own thread? I understand that it's going to be a summer blockbuster, but we do already have a movie thread.

schoolofruckus
05-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Wordstripe.

C DUB YA is abrasive and annoying.

Yablonowitz
05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
M. Night deserves his own Internet, Stripe.

Anyone who didn't like "Unbreakable" needs to be micturated upon.

Young blood
05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
BOLD AND CAPITALIZED

betao
05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I've seen all of his movies, and the worst ending was The Village. However, I think the worst overall was Lady In The Water.

One thing Night is good at is creating the suspenseful atmosphere in nearly all of his films. I am always intrigued when I watch his films. It's just his endings are just hit and miss - Sixth Sense was great, but Signs could have had a better ending.

I'll probably see this next one. Looks interesting enough.

thestripe
05-30-2008, 12:22 PM
A summer without a M. Night movie is like a summer with no icecreamz.

Young blood
05-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Maybe its the icreamz that is the twist.

n this movie.

amyzzz
05-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I love M Night Shyamalan. I will definitely be seeing this.

unitedwestand
05-30-2008, 12:25 PM
so that was last summer, right?
bummer.

Yablonowitz
05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I love M Night Shyamalan. I will definitely be seeing this.

Nevertheless, you should be micturated upon.

amyzzz
05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I like Unbreakable.

Yablonowitz
05-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I like Unbreakable.

Nevetheless...

chairmenmeow47
05-30-2008, 12:49 PM
i see all his movies, but i don't watch them more than once.

i liked the village for a different reason than the twist. not just because the chick was named ivy, but my favourite part of that movie was sigourney weaver and that one guy she loved, but couldn't do anything about (it's been awhile since i've seen it, sorry). the best part was when joaquin phoenix talked about how he knew they loved each other because they never touched. i think about that a lot. the relationships between the people were honestly more interesting than the twist.

Tylerdurden31
05-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Gabe...the fact that you thought Lady in The Water was great makes me wonder about you. That movie was horrendous. I only finished watching it because I went through so much trouble to rent it.

C DUB YA
05-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Wordstripe.

C DUB YA is abrasive and annoying.

Board.

Schoolofruckus is being an assface, because I don't like all his shitty movies.

Really? Me, abrasive? Because I don't like all of Night's shitty movies or bolded some movie titles, go get a hobby and then kindly fuck off. OK, That last bit is abrasive.

schoolofruckus
05-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Oooh look at how mad you're getting!

Gabe...the fact that you thought Lady in The Water was great makes me wonder about you. That movie was horrendous. I only finished watching it because I went through so much trouble to rent it.

For one, I love the dialogue between Story and the writer character that Night played. For another, after Ronnie told me about the screenwriter/storyteller manual that Night was sending up, a lot of things that bothered me earlier made a ton of sense. Mostly, I fell for what it was saying about the power of storytelling to the point that the flaws became irrelevant.

It's built on some silly-ass and very sentimental conceits, and it's very heavy-handed, but there is some real genius to it. However, if you don't role with it on a very fundamental level, I can see how and where it would be infuriating.

humanoid
05-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I'll try and give it another chance someday, and try and find it's true genius

I never found it infuriating, more unintentionally hilarious!

kreutz2112
05-30-2008, 01:17 PM
the only M Night nvjifsopnhcvu movie I've ever seen is the sixth sense. The other ones seemed corny just judging from the trailers. I do however enjoy Paul Giamatti, hes in lady in the water, right?

comiddle
05-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Zooey Deschanel is in it.
She's smokin', so yes I will see it.

schoolofruckus
05-30-2008, 01:29 PM
I'll try and give it another chance someday, and try and find it's true genius

I never found it infuriating, more unintentionally hilarious!

That too. I definitely acknowledge the ridiculousness of it all.

davrone
05-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Looks kinda interesting, but from 'Unbreakable' to 'Lady in the Water', I've been left disappointed. I'll wait for video.

bug on your lip
05-30-2008, 01:39 PM
M. Night Shyamalan
M. Night Shyamalan
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie
M. Night Shyamalan
M. Night Shyamalan
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie
M. Night Shyamalan
M. Night Shyamalan
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie
M. Night Shyamalan
M. Night Shyamalan
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie
M. Night Shyamalan
M. Night Shyamalan
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie
1st R rated movie

schoolofruckus
05-30-2008, 01:40 PM
And also, enough of this G-rated shit.

The redband trailer is what you should be watching. (http://www.substance001.net/the_happening_trailer3/the_happening_trailer3_1500k.mov) Save target if it doesn't play in your browser.

luckyface
05-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Man, Unbreakable is such a great movie. It really is a shame it didn't do well. I heard it was basically the foundation for a superhero franchise, and that there were going to be sequels . The fact that it didn't do well quashed them (Gabe seems to know a lot about M. Night, so maybe I will have him confirm).

C DUB YA
05-30-2008, 01:44 PM
M. Night Shyamalan

1st R rated movie

Me smells gimmick

C DUB YA
05-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Man, Unbreakable is such a great movie. It really is a shame it didn't do well. I heard it was basically the foundation for a superhero franchise, and that there were going to be sequels . The fact that it didn't do well quashed them (Gabe seems to know a lot about M. Night, so maybe I will have him confirm).

I heard that too.

garrett222
05-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Lady in the water was OK. He should have made it under a pseudonym. If it was labled as directed by Joanna Newsome, it would have been overwhelmingly praised and called genius. It is a fairy tale, like pan's labrynth. People see M Night and all the expectations start happening.

amyzzz
05-30-2008, 01:46 PM
I think the problem is that people weren't going into that movie knowing it was a superhero movie. And then when people realized it was a superhero movie, they were like "wtf?"

C DUB YA
05-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Lady in the water was OK. He should have made it under a pseudonym. If it was labled as directed by Joanna Newsome, it would have been overwhelmingly praised and called genius. It is a fairy tale, like pan's labrynth. People see M Night and all the expectations start happening.

Pan's Labrynth - Lady In the Water

Citizen Kane - Deuce Bigalow

schoolofruckus
05-30-2008, 01:49 PM

I don't know that much about him (never read the book that was written while he made Lady); I just really like his work. But I too have heard that he originally designed Unbreakable as an origin film.

In my opinion, Christopher Nolan borrowed heavily when it came time to make his Batman film.

garrett222
05-30-2008, 01:49 PM
ok, pan's labrynth wasn't THAT good. Parts of it still bug me.

Signs was his best movie to date.

luckyface
05-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't know that much about him (never read the book that was written while he made Lady); I just really like his work. But I too have heard that he originally designed Unbreakable as an origin film.

In my opinion, Christopher Nolan borrowed heavily when it came time to make his Batman film.
Ah sorry to assume. You seem to know so much about movies and you obviously like his work, so I thought you might have the inside track.

Signs was his best movie to date.

Signs was good, but the ending was so lame. It really tainted my view of the movie.

thinnerair
05-30-2008, 02:04 PM
UNBREAKABLE WAS UNWATCHABLE. ah thank you.

NoneForMeThanks
05-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I feel so alone in loving "The Village". That twist justified the entire price of my movie ticket.

I really loved everything but "Lady in the Water". I didn't even finish that one.

I generally turn off my brain when I see a movie. I suspend belief and try to enjoy a movie as much as I can.

gratytrainridesagain
05-30-2008, 02:13 PM

The redband trailer is what you should be watching. (http://www.substance001.net/the_happening_trailer3/the_happening_trailer3_1500k.mov) Save target if it doesn't play in your browser.

This trailer actually made me interested in this movie

Tylerdurden31
05-30-2008, 02:16 PM

i saw the trailer last night. Looks fucking hilariously awesome

schoolofruckus
05-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I feel so alone in loving "The Village". That twist justified the entire price of my movie ticket.

I really loved everything but "Lady in the Water". I didn't even finish that one.

I generally turn off my brain when I see a movie. I suspend belief and try to enjoy a movie as much as I can.

The twist gave "The Village" an interesting dimension. And it had Night's usual command of camera and sound (he uses silence very effectively) that makes his stuff so compulsively watchable. But I remember feeling that it was very dull up until the reveal.

I should probably watch it again.

Sushov23
05-30-2008, 02:27 PM
THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO KICK MAJOR ASS. WOW, that red band trailer is fucking intense.

Astrid
05-30-2008, 03:33 PM
the village is entirely fucking ripped off. there is no twist. there cant be a twist to a story THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN TOLD. running out of time, by margaret petterson haddix, was published in 1995, with a better and more believable, yet practically identical story. i dont understand how people dont know this by now...

even so, the movie is laughable.

i always go see his movies, because i loved the sixth sense so much, but i am always disappointed. i dont know how you could take such amazing talent and end with sub par films. i will probably still go see this...hopefully my disgustingly low expectations will be enough for it to meek by as passable. maybe i will actually like it. fuck.

sbessiso
05-30-2008, 03:37 PM
lady in the water is one of the worst movies ive EVER seen

Alchemy
05-30-2008, 06:04 PM
The Sixth Sense: Is a great movie all around. Pretty scary too.

Unbreakable: Is entertaining and has a cool idea. The twist was cool too.

Signs: Is amazing, but I wasn't fond of the "destiny-fate" things (the twist). I thought it was dumb that everything led up to his brother swinging his bat at the glasses of water, but I thought it was an excellent alien movie.

The Village: It was alright. Not to memorable.

Lady In the Water: I could hardly remember what this one was about. I guess it wasn't too good.

The Happening: I might just wait for the dvd like I did with The Village and Lady in the Water.

All That I Am
05-30-2008, 08:09 PM
The Sixth Sense>Unbreakable>Signs>The Village>Lady In the Water
I think i see a pattern.

Lurker_in_a_tree
05-30-2008, 08:20 PM
I cannot believe that people are confusing Signs with a good movie.
Seriously. It was the worst piece of shit movie that's ever been shat out of a hack director's asshole.
Mel Gibson fights aliens so he can be a priest again? Aliens who decide to take over a planet that's mostly water, yet water is the most harmful substance to them?
Fuuuuck.
No amount of marijuana could have made that movie tolerable. The fact that you people think it's a good movie makes me question the future of mankind.

Oh, and every time I see that douchetwat hack M Night pull a "oooh look, M. Night's doing a *gasp* cameo in his own movie!" I want to punch someone in the face.

patsfan5454
05-30-2008, 08:26 PM
M NIGHT SUCKS MY RIGHT NUT

menikmati
05-30-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm not a fan.

Hopeless Semantic
05-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Oh shit...didn't realize Mark Wahlberg was going to be in it. Damn...things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

patsfan5454
05-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh shit...didn't realize Mark Wahlberg was going to be in it. Damn...things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dont be fooled, he has great previews that always try to suck you in and it always ends up sucking ass, i'm 99.999999% sure this new one will suck as much as all the others, sixth sense was the only good one, and i also am just cuz its gettin a R rating doesnt mean it still wont suck it will just give you higher expectations of it

MissingPerson
05-30-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't care what the rest of the 6.7 billion or so others thought, I fucking liked The Village. A lot.

humanoid
05-30-2008, 08:54 PM
lady in the water is one of the worst movies ive EVER seen

I'm glad to hear someone else say this

humanoid
05-30-2008, 08:55 PM
The Sixth Sense>Unbreakable>Signs>The Village>Lady In the Water
I think i see a pattern.

you may definitely be on to something

Hopeless Semantic
05-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Dont be fooled, he has great previews that always try to suck you in and it always ends up sucking ass, i'm 99.999999% sure this new one will suck as much as all the others, sixth sense was the only good one, and i also am just cuz its gettin a R rating doesnt mean it still wont suck it will just give you higher expectations of it

Yeah I know. I've been thoroughly disappointed since Sixth Sense, but I'll still go see the movie just to form my own opinion and there isn't much out right now that I haven't seen. I don't know if there is a director that is higher off himself/herself than Mr. Syamalan. I wonder what character he'll play? Will it be some struggling working man or someone attending a function? Really, does it matter all that much?

It could be worse...you could be watching the Sex In The City flick...

All That I Am
05-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Seriously. It was the worst piece of shit movie that's ever been shat out of a hack director's asshole.

It was very lazy writting indeed.
Just come up with an ending i.e. Aliens die from water being tossed on them.
and go back and add in a reason for the water to be there i.e. germophobe leaves glasses of water everywhere after first drink. (wouldn't they learn to just put enough water for a single drink in her glass?)
and just repeat it.
Character uses bat to hit glasses of water
character is a failed baseball player

every movie he makes keeps getting worse.
not that i think unbreakable is bad it is good, but it is not as good as the sixth sense.

menikmati
05-30-2008, 10:29 PM
He tries too hard to keep with his auteur style/mold that people identify with him. He's become way to predictable and boring for me.

PineapplePete
05-30-2008, 10:44 PM
cWWtb2uDDfE

Sonicifyouwantit
05-30-2008, 10:47 PM

what a twist! yea I like robot chicken too

if this movie is anything like lady in the water I definitely am not going to see it. SKIP if its more like signs or unbreakable or I see dead people then I will consider it. the village had so much potential and just turned out bland lady in the water was trash.

rage patton
05-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Unbreakable is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life.

With that being said, I have liked all of M. Night's movies, and I am looking forward to this one.

EDIT: Damn! Pete, you beat me too that Robot Chicken clip.

humanoid
05-31-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't even watch that much TV, but I swear I've seen the damn preview every commercial break this week!!!!

Stefinitely Maybe
05-31-2008, 02:42 AM
The Sixth Sense>The Village>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Unbreakable>>>>>>>>>>>>>Signs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lady In the Water

Mr. Dylanja
05-31-2008, 02:52 AM
Signs is ok for what it was but M Night with his own thread???

OVER - RATED!!

stinkbutt
05-31-2008, 05:03 AM
Unbreakable is fantastic and I feel sorry for all you fucks that can't appreciate good art

schoolofruckus
05-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Mel Gibson fights aliens so he can be a priest again? Aliens who decide to take over a planet that's mostly water, yet water is the most harmful substance to them?
Fuuuuck.
No amount of marijuana could have made that movie tolerable. The fact that you people think it's a good movie makes me question the future of mankind.

Oh, and every time I see that douchetwat hack M Night pull a "oooh look, M. Night's doing a *gasp* cameo in his own movie!" I want to punch someone in the face.

M NIGHT SUCKS MY RIGHT NUT

Am I stoned, or did I just come to Ain't It Cool News by mistake?

Yeah I know. I've been thoroughly disappointed since Sixth Sense, but I'll still go see the movie just to form my own opinion and there isn't much out right now that I haven't seen. I don't know if there is a director that is higher off himself/herself than Mr. Syamalan. I wonder what character he'll play? Will it be some struggling working man or someone attending a function? Really, does it matter all that much?

It could be worse...you could be watching the Sex In The City flick...

There are plenty of directors "higher off himself/herself" than Shyamalan.

bleep
05-31-2008, 07:42 AM
not a fan of any of his movies - i've seen all except for Lady in the Water. but, i need to support my fellow southie, so i'll be watching his latest effort.

aprillynnn
05-31-2008, 07:42 AM
The Village was the worst movie ever. It has tainted any appreciation for M. Night. since I thought that Signs was better than expected (it could of been so much more) being one of his earlier movies, I thought we'd give him another chance ... he failed.

Doubt that we'll see this new one.

schoolofruckus
05-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Unbreakable is fantastic and I feel sorry for all you fucks that can't appreciate good art

I agree with the sentiment, but forget good art. How about just a unique, skillful, surprising take on a classic story? Night's doesn't do esoteric, impenetrable films; he takes on genres that encompass the most lasting, widespread stories of all time, and finds new ways to keep them fresh. He's not always successful, and I'd never claim that any of these films are impossible to dislike.

But Night's biggest sin (from what I'm gathering) is that he ended his first film with a brilliant surprise, and has ended his subsequent films with less-impressive surprises. And for that, he gets this kind of crucifixion? I mean - are we really going to compare the ending of Signs (which did not change the nature of what we had seen before it; but merely provided a solution to the problem at hand) to the ending of Sixth Sense? And we're going to ignore how masterful Unbreakable was, simply because nobody told us it was going to end up as a superhero film? I won't say any more here about The Village (his most divisive movie, and yeah, the ending definitely changes whats happenened in the film) or Lady in the Water (which, as previously stated, you either submit to or abhor).

But that's an impressive track record of at least attempting to inject new life into timeless storytelling. At the bare minimum. If you care about the technical aspects of a film (visual composition, sound design), that makes him that much more valuable. And yet, he's the brand-name director that I hear the most complaints about. He's somehow "overrated" even though 70% of the people I talk to think he's a hack who miraculously got lucky with one film.

Jerm05
05-31-2008, 09:02 AM
This movie has a 50/50 chance of sucking, but i will see it for Zooey and those puppy dog eyes

PineapplePete
05-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Shamalamadingdong

whynotsmile99
05-31-2008, 10:13 AM
zooey hasn't been good in a single thing

roberto73
05-31-2008, 10:33 AM
zooey hasn't been good in a single thing

Except Almost Famous and The Good Girl and All the Real Girls and Elf and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Otherwise, completely talentless.

miscorrections
05-31-2008, 10:34 AM
She was pretty funny in The Good Girl.

schoolofruckus
05-31-2008, 10:45 AM
She was good in her small bit of Assassination of Jesse James as well.

If her taste in material is as strong as it usually is, that's yet another reason to hope The Happening will be good.

Ardentbiscuit
05-31-2008, 11:07 AM
These are just guesses I have from watching the brief tv and in theater previews.

I have not read anything about this movie but from the previews I have seen in the theaters and on tv it seems like that whatever the happening is it causes people to lose their ability to speak, they get disoriented and then they commit suicide.

You see in the trailer people jumping off buildings, crashing their cars, etc.

The only thing I can guess that is causing it are these ideas below.

1. The concept of a killer sound, they have been throwing around ideas that there are frequencies that can cause people to die in various ways.

2. The plants in the world are releasing some sort of neurological toxin and it is wrecking havoc on the humanity as sort of a revenge for destroying the environment.

3. Or it is some sort of US government experiment gone haywire like the Stand.

I don't know, all I know is that this movie looks really cheesy and after other M. Night movies I don't trust it.

The only good movie he did in my opinion was the 6th sense.

Edit. Thanks to Robot Chicken when his name came on the screen someone in the theater got up and screamed, "WHAT A TWIST".

rage patton
05-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Edit. Thanks to Robot Chicken when his name came on the screen someone in the theater got up and screamed, "WHAT A TWIST".

Ahahah! That is fucking awesome.

I can't describe how much I couldn't stand Unbreakable. The ending made me so mad I never wanted to watch another movie for as long as I lived. Unbreakable is perhaps the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. Next to the Rollerball remake and Pootie Tang.
With that being said, I absolutely loved Lady In The Water. I thought it was a great story and Paul Giamatti was brilliant in it. I know my opinions contradict almost everything in this thread... but oh well.

miscorrections
05-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Ok. I just saw the trailer because I didn't want to go out of my way to look at it online because I find latest Shyamalama offerings wretched and I will probably go see the movie. But I probably will not pay for it.

allyjoy
06-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I think Lady in the Water is the most underrated of his films (Giamatti kicks ass)... other than the Village I have been reasonably satisfied with his films. This one is rated R & I need to know how he pushes the envelope. PLUS Mark Wahlberg & John Leguizamo = must see for me. :thu

sbessiso
06-01-2008, 02:38 PM
6th sense, unbreakable and signs are all fuckign fantastic movies and i feel firmly on this. village was just incredably dissapointing but not god awful like.....

LADY IN THE WATER

ally, you cannot possibly be serious, that movie was such garbage, omg just thinkign about it now im getting angry

Astrid
06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
These are just guesses I have from watching the brief tv and in theater previews.

I have not read anything about this movie but from the previews I have seen in the theaters and on tv it seems like that whatever the happening is it causes people to lose their ability to speak, they get disoriented and then they commit suicide.

You see in the trailer people jumping off buildings, crashing their cars, etc.

The only thing I can guess that is causing it are these ideas below.

1. The concept of a killer sound, they have been throwing around ideas that there are frequencies that can cause people to die in various ways.

2. The plants in the world are releasing some sort of neurological toxin and it is wrecking havoc on the humanity as sort of a revenge for destroying the environment.

3. Or it is some sort of US government experiment gone haywire like the Stand.

I don't know, all I know is that this movie looks really cheesy and after other M. Night movies I don't trust it.

The only good movie he did in my opinion was the 6th sense.

i also got the feeling killer sound frequencies when i saw the preview. which is a very interesting concept, i love that episode of myth busters.

gratytrainridesagain
06-01-2008, 03:01 PM
I can't describe how much I couldn't stand Unbreakable. The ending made me so mad I never wanted to watch another movie for as long as I lived. Unbreakable is perhaps the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life.

dumb

With that being said, I absolutely loved Lady In The Water.

dumber

i_like_cake530
06-01-2008, 03:04 PM

hahaha....i was just watching that south park where they make fun of him.

sbessiso
06-01-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp/aid/7903/tcid/1

*skip to the middle where the actual review starts if you want*

woogie846
06-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Zooey is in, so I have to see it.

And I am proud to say that I enjoyed The Village.

sbessiso
06-01-2008, 03:16 PM
as long as you dont say Lady in the Water woogie, as long as you dont say that

MissingPerson
06-01-2008, 03:36 PM
I agree with whoever made the Joanna Newsome's Village post.

Yeah, I think Shyamalan gets harshed on purely because he hasn't just made The Sixth Sense over and over again.

I love big apocalypse-y films, and the trailer definitely caught my attention so I am actually looking forward to this a lot. The title is moronic though. The Happening? Wtf?

sbessiso
06-01-2008, 03:37 PM
it was originally supposed to be titled "The Green Effect"

hint hint HINT

fober
06-01-2008, 03:52 PM
http://www.mass.gov/envir/forest/images/multiLayerForest.jpg

Backwater
06-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Yeah, I think Shyamalan gets harshed on purely because he hasn't just made The Sixth Sense over and over again.

The exact opposite of this is true.

He keeps on making supernatural suspense/thrillers with twist endings.
He hasn't made a film 1/10000th as good as the sixth sense, that's why he gets harped on.

They keep getting worse and worse and as someone else said LITW was one the absolute worst films ever made.

Let's face it, the guy's a two bit hack who got lucky with a good producer, cast etc. with his first movie.

Sushov23
06-02-2008, 01:02 AM
what was the twist in signs? and which one was that one? I haven't seen an M.Night film in YEARS.

Xenocide
06-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Signs > Sixth Sense

The Village >> Unbreakable

Jack Johnson >>> Lady in the Water

Zooey makes me wet...

Sushov23
06-02-2008, 01:10 AM
I remember now, no twist, and the one about aliens. I remember I liked that movie.

Hopeless Semantic
06-02-2008, 01:12 AM
That was Signs...

luckyface
06-02-2008, 01:15 AM
what was the twist in signs? and which one was that one? I haven't seen an M.Night film in YEARS.

The twist in Signs was that it was a good movie that went completely off the rails at the end. Someone should have "swung away" at M. Night when he was writing that shitty ending.

rage patton
06-02-2008, 01:19 AM
This thread is making me mad. I refuse to ever enter it again.

Xenocide
06-02-2008, 01:21 AM
nu-uh... worst M. Night ending ever:

DtyP-xmt5Fk

Sushov23
06-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Unbreakable put me to sleep. Never finished it.

Backwater
06-02-2008, 04:21 AM
The twist in Signs is that the aliens were terribly afraid of water

Yes, water folks, water! The only one planet out of nine in our solar system that has WAY more water than any other (30 something % more water right ?) is the one that these incredibly intelligent creatures land on, .... right..........? Shamalaymadingdong ... you lost ... a long time ago .. you lost

C DUB YA
06-02-2008, 05:33 AM
thats not really a twist by the way

sbessiso
06-02-2008, 01:08 PM
what a tweest!

PotVsKtl
06-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes, water folks, water! The only one planet out of nine in our solar system that has WAY more water than any other (30 something % more water right ?)

When was the last time you used your fucking brain?

full on idle
06-02-2008, 01:50 PM
whatever there are like 80 different solar systems

algunz
06-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I have just made this my desktop. Thank you, Fober.

http://www.mass.gov/envir/forest/images/multiLayerForest.jpg

stinkbutt
06-02-2008, 04:05 PM
In almost every movie there has something to do with water anyone else notice that