PDA

View Full Version : Phish....sorry I felt obligated

faxman75
05-29-2008, 10:59 AM
I really hope they stick to festivals like the Roo if the rumors come true but after jack johnson I guess it's possible we get Phish, David Bowie and some magical third headliner and Daft Punk again in the dance tent. We shall see.

Phish

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/05/28/trey-anastasio-hints-at-phish-reunion/

Trey Anastasio Hints at Phish Reunion

Nearly four years after their break-up, the four members of Phish may have some unfinished business together. In an interview with Rolling Stone last week, Trey Anastasio didn’t exactly say the band has talked about a reunion, but he did drop some heavy hints. “When Phish broke up, I made some comment about how I’m not gonna go around playing ‘You Enjoy Myself’ for the rest of my life,” Anastasio said with a laugh. “And it’s so funny because Fish and Mike and Page have been talking to each other a lot lately and now — it’s not that I can’t believe that I said that, but its symbolic of how much I lost my mind or how much I lost my bearings or something. Because at this point in time I would give my left nut to play that song five times in a row every day until I die. I certainly thought about that while I was in jail.”

Anastasio spoke to RS on May 21st, the same day he received some good news: He was sentenced to probation on charges of possessing painkillers without a prescription, which had been reduced to a misdemeanor after he completed a drug treatment program. Earlier in May, Anastasio and the other members of Phish stood onstage together in New York to accept a lifetime achievement award at the Jammies.

TomAz
05-29-2008, 11:02 AM
if Phish plays Coachella 09, I hope Goldenvoice waives the "NO GUNS" rule.

faxman75
05-29-2008, 11:24 AM
oops I put this in the wrong lounge......

SFChrissy
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
if Phish plays Coachella 09, I hope Goldenvoice waives the "NO GUNS" rule.second that...

Deviate_420
05-29-2008, 12:31 PM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!! FUCKING PHISH!!!!!! If Widespread Panic opens for them, it wil be better the Zep.....

Blinken
05-29-2008, 12:35 PM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!! FUCKING PHISH!!!!!! If Widespread Panic opens for them, it wil be better the Zep.....

No, you're wrong.

BlackSwan
05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
this would be SUCH a FAIL

Deviate_420
05-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Phis is the best thing to ever happend to recorded music... I hope both bands play in 09, how ever they would need an 8 hour block to play, and they would fill every second of it with wonderful music...

BlackSwan
05-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Phis is the best thing to ever happend to recorded music... I hope both bands play in 09, how ever they would need an 8 hour block to play, and they would fill every second of it with wonderful music...

funny, i like jokes too.

Deviate_420
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
The only joke is how much better they are then Daft Punk....

summerkid
05-29-2008, 01:34 PM
No worries they will headline the Roo.

full on idle
05-29-2008, 02:51 PM
NO COMMENT

Young blood
05-29-2008, 02:53 PM
didnt you hold Treys hand one time?

greghead
05-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Phish is a talented band, but come on, who the hell wants to watch a 25 minute version of "Run Like an Antelope" on the mainstage?

Fucking boring.

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 10:27 PM
If Phish plays Coachella I'll fucking riot up Dani's asshole.

Backwater
05-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Phish isn't cool enough for Coachella.

Their music is too innovative/freeform/experimental for Coachealla.

Plus, their fans bring in way too many DRUGS for Coachella staff to ever tolerate.

In other words, Phish is just too much fun for Coachella.

Mr. Dylanja
05-30-2008, 11:30 PM
Phish + WSP anywhere = half the drugs in the entire country. FACT!

greghead
05-31-2008, 12:49 AM
I love cruising Shakedown Street before a Phish concert . . . and then leaving with my goodies before their uninspired noodling begins.

Phish and Widespread would bring a lot more smelly trustfund hippies to Coachella, though they would mean a larger range and volume of psychedelic drugs.

rage patton
05-31-2008, 01:20 AM
I wouldn't mind Phish at Coachella... but dear Lord just keep WSP away.

Mr. Dylanja
05-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Phish and Widespread would bring a lot more smelly trustfund hippies to Coachella, though they would mean a larger range and volume of psychedelic drugs.

Its called Bonnaroo and its a whole different type of fun!

bliss209
05-31-2008, 05:05 AM
I dont think Phish will perform at Roo. They may show up and make a surprise spot during someone elses set. But they wont do a "Phish" set this year......

This month is pretty much the 1st time in months since they have seen eachother and the most time they have spent with eachother in a while. They have all been busy playing with alot of other artists. They may not exactly play this year, but that itch will need to be scratched and they will be on stage again very soon.

After watching the videos from the Jammies, you can see they havent spent much time together lately. It was a weird moment. But anyone who has spent time over the years at any of thier shows would know they will play again.

jeeze........Cmon guys!!! This is THE American Improvisational Rock band of OUR generation. The Dead, Allman bros. have all done it before, but Phish was the only band to carry this into our generation. And they did it for 20 years!! WITHOUT MTV!!! WITHOUT major distribution!!! WITHOUT radio play!! Im not gonna deny the drug aspect in phish culture, but i do know I get approached by dealers/pushers/e-tards just as much if not more at my favorite club trying to see my favorite DJ or festivals like....... hhhmmmmm...... i dunno.....
..Coachella

gaypalmsprings
05-31-2008, 05:10 AM
Phish isn't cool enough for Coachella.

Phish is no Sean Penn

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Alpine.jpg

trivium1
05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
actually i listen to phish... this would be cool but no guarantee i would make it even if they did play.

bballarl
05-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Jack Johnson made at least an inkling of sense at Coachella (Southern California, had played before, gets major alt rock radio play, etc). Phish would not make any sense. Let's not be stupid.

Good talk gang. Good talk.

Ardentbiscuit
05-31-2008, 12:56 PM
I don't think Phish would play Coachella...

It would be epic for Bonnaroo and some other festivals but would be received as mostly whatever for Coachella.

Plus Phish isn't a band that the general public would flock to the middle of the desert to see. It would be great for people in those circles of music but the average concert goer that would make up the bulk of the extra ticket sales (people who go see RHCP, rage, etc.) would be looking for someone more mainstream. Most average people don't even know the Sex Pistols, The Smiths, etc. I told some people at my office I was going to see R.E.M. and they were like, who?

Judging by the reduced ticket sales this year I don't think Phish would happen. I don't think most Phish fans would sit through the majority of the music styles of Coachella to see them.

Backwater
05-31-2008, 04:24 PM
I dont think Phish will perform at Roo. They may show up and make a surprise spot during someone elses set. But they wont do a "Phish" set this year......

This month is pretty much the 1st time in months since they have seen eachother and the most time they have spent with eachother in a while. They have all been busy playing with alot of other artists. They may not exactly play this year, but that itch will need to be scratched and they will be on stage again very soon.

After watching the videos from the Jammies, you can see they havent spent much time together lately. It was a weird moment. But anyone who has spent time over the years at any of thier shows would know they will play again.

jeeze........Cmon guys!!! This is THE American Improvisational Rock band of OUR generation. The Dead, Allman bros. have all done it before, but Phish was the only band to carry this into our generation. And they did it for 20 years!! WITHOUT MTV!!! WITHOUT major distribution!!! WITHOUT radio play!! Im not gonna deny the drug aspect in phish culture, but i do know I get approached by dealers/pushers/e-tards just as much if not more at my favorite club trying to see my favorite DJ or festivals like....... hhhmmmmm...... i dunno.....
..Coachella

That last paragraph is so wrong I don't know where to begin.

Clearly you've never been to a Phish concert and/or Coachella if you're honestly saying that you get approached to buy drugs just as much at both events. There are SO many more drugs at Phish shows, absolutely no comparison.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Phish fan but to say that they were the only band to bring improvisational jam music into our generation is completely untrue. Have you ever heard of Moe., String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, Leftover Salmon, Yonder Mountain, STS9, Disco Biscuits and about 1,000 others?

Boourns
05-31-2008, 04:32 PM
The big reunion will be at Bonnaroo. The roo crowd would rather have them and Phish would rather play there, anyway. Win-win for everyone.

Backwater
05-31-2008, 05:15 PM
What about Coventry?

I really don't think Phish would ever play Bonnaroo considering how successfull their own festival was.

bliss209
05-31-2008, 06:04 PM
That last paragraph is so wrong I don't know where to begin.

Clearly you've never been to a Phish concert and/or Coachella if you're honestly saying that you get approached to buy drugs just as much at both events. There are SO many more drugs at Phish shows, absolutely no comparison.

Maybe I have a better tolerance for phriends...... or maybe I'm gettin old. This years coachella was so different for me. I have never been approched that much before. It was EVERYWHERE!!! Whether it was watching someone consuming it in excess or watching others sling, I even found a bag of pills just laying in the walkway on my way back to my campgound!!!!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Phish fan but to say that they were the only band to bring improvisational jam music into our generation is completely untrue. Have you ever heard of Moe., String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, Leftover Salmon, Yonder Mountain, STS9, Disco Biscuits and about 1,000 others?

Moe and WSP were around when Phish started, but it took WSP FOREVER to leave Georgia back in '89. I had to hit the midwest or further east to see WSP and at that time it was only Bell, Schools, Houser and Davis. I could catch Phish at least twice a year on the west coast in '91. I dont know about you, but I consider Leftover Salmon more of a bluegrass/country jam band.

I wont deny the other bands greatness, but I really feel Phish took it to the next level back in the 90's. It was sooo crazy following them back then and anything that came after them, was just a repeat to me. And Phish shows had waaaaayyyyy more in attendance than any of those others back then too.

msklvr
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Phish would be fun at Coachella. I think it's horrible the initial poster has to apologize right off the bat for making this thread.

I think many people have not listened to much Phish. I like their earlier recorded work and still play it from time to time. A Picture of Nectar and Rift are great albums. Give them a listen. Great songwriting and superb individual playing. Rift if actually a great concept album. Pop a few caps and listen to Rift and it'll be a good day for ya.

I have never had the pleasure of attending a Phish show, but always wanted to. Coachella would be a good setting for me to see them for the first time.

Flame me, too, asshats.

Deviate_420
06-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Phish live is better then Tool. There, I said it....

faxman75
06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Phish would be fun at Coachella. I think it's horrible the initial poster has to apologize right off the bat for making this thread.

I delivered the news. I don't have to like the band.

I think many people have not listened to much Phish. I like their earlier recorded work and still play it from time to time. A Picture of Nectar and Rift are great albums. Give them a listen. Great songwriting and superb individual playing. Rift if actually a great concept album. Pop a few caps and listen to Rift and it'll be a good day for ya.

Oh shit. I didn't even realize all I had to do was listen to them before I developed an opinion. Crazy. Ok you win. I have changed my mind. I love Phish! :rolleyes

I have listened, get over it. I don't like them.

I have never had the pleasure of attending a Phish show, but always wanted to. Coachella would be a good setting for me to see them for the first time.

Flame me, too, asshats.

Phish fans would consume the Coachella grounds. Rather than a diverse crowd like we always get, we would have 80% dirty hippies and we would have to rename the fest Bonnaroo 2.

faxman75
06-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Maybe. I have never seen Phish live though. On CD Tool is better than Phish and at Coachella Tool sounded excellent.

marooko
06-03-2008, 02:02 PM
The only joke is how much better they are then Daft Punk....

i would take 8 DAYS of Phish over 8 seconds of daft.

CalmerThanYou
06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Phish is bad fucking ass, and i would lose my shit if they played..anywhere.

I've been to 8 shows, and had the best hippy dancing, face melting, laughing, screaming, good vibed time EVER.

Whatever in the fuck that means.

Edit: Oh, and light shows? They fucking rule on everyone (well, daft was in fucking tense...just diff)

http://www.livemusicblog.com/images/phish5.jpg

CalmerThanYou
06-03-2008, 02:08 PM
What about Coventry?

I really don't think Phish would ever play Bonnaroo considering how successfull their own festival was.

Coventry was an epic failure when compared to the other festivals they hosted. Yes, JUST THEM. tens of thousands of poeple. 8 hour sets. epicness.

Example - IT: Everyone was there to see Phish, and only Phish. 70k poeple, 2 days.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2003/08/06/technology/Phish1.jpg

woogie846
06-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Phish will honestly never play Coachella.

TomAz
06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
would they play it dishonestly?

fikus222
06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I first saw PHISH in '98 and saw them a total of 20 times. I was there for the last 4 shows before their '00 hiatus and the first 5 shows of their farewell tour and I would love to see them again.

Having said that, PHISH would never play Coachella, it just doesn't make any sense. Bonnaroo would make sense, but only due to that Festival's modus operandi.

Phish draws such a huge crowd they don't need someone elses' Festival. In other words, PHISH would do their own thing and it would be awesome.

faxman75
06-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I can't believe what I started. Phish fans are the ultimate. The numbers they draw are insane.

CalmerThanYou
06-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Phish fans are the ultimate. They wouldnt play Coachella...i was just getting amped for them possibly re-uniting.

YEM = instant nut.

Encaitare
06-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I've had a rainbow Phish sticker on my car for years.

It's a purple saturn though, so it kinda fits.

It would be epic if they reunited, but not for Coachella, if simply for the fact that I don't ever want to attend Coachella more croweded than 2007, and unless they capped ticket sales, which they wouldn't do, Phish would deliver.

Backwater
06-03-2008, 09:22 PM

How and why would you ever compare the two?

Slayer is better than Hannah Montanna live ...

C DUB YA
06-05-2008, 07:11 AM
there is going to be a riot.

C DUB YA
06-05-2008, 07:12 AM
I've had a rainbow Phish sticker on my car for years.

It's a purple saturn though, so it kinda fits.

It would be epic if they reunited, but not for Coachella, if simply for the fact that I don't ever want to attend Coachella more croweded than 2007, and unless they capped ticket sales, which they wouldn't do, Phish would deliver.

PHUCK PHISH and their terrible terrible music.

JSam67
06-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Every night I pray to every god I can think of that Phish won't be at Coachella next year.

Backwater
06-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Every night I pray to every god I can think of that Phish won't be at Coachella next year.

Why are you wasting your energy? PHISH WILL NEVER, EVER PLAY COACHELLA!!!! How is that so hard to understand? However, if hell froze over and they did, would you rather have Jack Johnson? Anyone who would rather watch Jack Johnson than Phish should be shot in the face, point blank with a 44.

For the record, Trey just got added to All Points West.

C DUB YA
06-06-2008, 09:28 AM
still, look at the backlash jj created. Or Madonna for that matter. I don't care how much Paul T might like him, I wouldn't gamble my festival rep on another big jam performer (or pop diva) booking.

He might get away with Ben Harper or Jack Johnson - but Phish would kill Coachella dead.

TomAz
06-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Phish is not very good, agreed. But kill Coachella dead? no.

What might kill Coachella dead though would be $5+ gas.