PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Comedians

Backwater
05-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm a huge fan of standup comedy and I was wondering who you guys think is the best standup comedian of all time. Also, who are some of your current favorites?

I think Bill Hicks is the best comedian of all time with Richard Pryor in second and maybe Rodney Dangerfield in third. If there are any Tool fans who haven't heard of Bill Hicks then you're really missing out, he's Maynard's biggest influence. As far as currently living, I'd say Jerry Seinfeld or maybe Chris Rock.

Currently, I think this guy named Rich Williams is really fucking hilarious but he doesn't get much exposure at all for some reason. David Cross, Nick Swardson, Jim Gaffigan, and Doug Benson are all really funny as well. I find Dane Cook extremely annoying and overrated.

Thoughts?

leo01g
05-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Dane Cook is a fucking douche. HE ISNT FUNNY.

Astrid
05-29-2008, 02:15 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/riversmylover33/mitch1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/riversmylover33/Mitch-Fatel.jpg

PassiveTheory
05-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Dane Cook is a fucking douche. HE ISNT FUNNY.

QFT.

I'd add to the list:

Patton Oswalt
Michael Ian Black
Demitri Martin

fikus222
05-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Robin Williams.

My favs are RW, Dave Chappelle and the Kids in the Hall troupe. All of which I have seen and have been amazed by.

Ediie Izzard's live show is disappointing and I was definitely not amused.

Xenocide
05-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Lisa Lampanelli

Jim Norton

Lewis Black

Dave Chappelle

Richard Pryor

thelastgreatman
05-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Goddammit I hate threads where the premise is "list which things from this category you like best." I don't understand the motivation to post. Is it just so your opinion will be preserved for future generations via the message board or what?

bmack86
05-29-2008, 02:50 AM
Although I agree with Randy's post, I nevertheless suffer from the list making syndrome at times.

As such, I'm going to recommend anyone in Los Angeles go see the Upright Citizens Brigade at their theatre in Los Feliz. Asssscat, their improv show on saturdays and sundays, is the best fucking comedy in the world.

jazzz
05-29-2008, 02:52 AM
Benny Hill
Bill Burr
Jackie Gleason
Richard Pryor
Gene Wilder
Larry David
Garry Shandling
Mark E. Smith

PassiveTheory
05-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Goddammit I hate threads where the premise is "list which things from this category you like best." I don't understand the motivation to post. Is it just so your opinion will be preserved for future generations via the message board or what?

Actually it's more like "hey someone might list a name I don't know and I ought to go look them up" or "why the fuck is he/she listing that comedian? he/she sucks! I'm going to give my opinion about that comedian!" or "that comedian is under appreciated and I'm glad someone else other than me mentioned them in this context" or something else.

bmack86
05-29-2008, 02:58 AM
Actually it's more like "hey someone might list a name I don't know and I ought to go look them up" or "why the fuck is he/she listing that comedian? he/she sucks! I'm going to give my opinion about that comedian!" or "that comedian is under appreciated and I'm glad someone else other than me mentioned them in this context" or something else.

I feel like simply listing something would never attract my attention. Give me a valuable description, a recommendation, a rant or a diatribe, something that would convince me that this is worth my time and (potentially) money.

PassiveTheory
05-29-2008, 03:05 AM
I feel like simply listing something would never attract my attention. Give me a valuable description, a recommendation, a rant or a diatribe, something that would convince me that this is worth my time and (potentially) money.

Well, for me, sometimes when something's listed in the company of other things I like I'll check them out.

Stefinitely Maybe
05-29-2008, 03:09 AM
Sean Penn

thelastgreatman
05-29-2008, 03:11 AM
That's fucking retarded, Passive. There's not a single person on this board besides me whose preference in stand-up comedians would motivate me to look them up in the slightest. None of the people who post in these threads are funny and usually their taste in music sucks too, it's just killing time like fucking myspace surveys. "Hey, let me tell you what crap I like! It's 90 percent identical to the crap other people like or you've undoubtedly heard of already anyway!"

jazzz
05-29-2008, 03:19 AM
yeah! exactly like the drug thread..

woogie846
05-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Don Rickles

humanoid
05-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Although I agree with Randy's post, I nevertheless suffer from the list making syndrome at times.

As such, I'm going to recommend anyone in Los Angeles go see the Upright Citizens Brigade at their theatre in Los Feliz. Asssscat, their improv show on saturdays and sundays, is the best fucking comedy in the world.

been there several times...UCB are incredible, Asssscat is unbeatable

sbessiso
05-29-2008, 07:06 AM
I really like Demetri Martin

TomAz
05-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Steve Martin
Andy Kaufman
Richard Pryor

the holy trinity of comedy.

sonofhal
05-29-2008, 08:08 AM
That's fucking retarded, Passive. There's not a single person on this board besides me whose preference in stand-up comedians would motivate me to look them up in the slightest. None of the people who post in these threads are funny and usually their taste in music sucks too, it's just killing time like fucking myspace surveys. "Hey, let me tell you what crap I like! It's 90 percent identical to the crap other people like or you've undoubtedly heard of already anyway!"

I'm intrigued as to why you've posted over 9k on a board who's opinions do not matter to you at all. Masochism?

thelastgreatman
05-29-2008, 08:09 AM
To read myself, of course. And because I care about you all... realizing you're wrong.

TomAz
05-29-2008, 08:11 AM
you do him injustice. you need to add all the posts from the other screen name. little wang or whatever it was. weren't there like 5,000 there?

Xenocide
05-29-2008, 08:38 AM

hey, something Passive and i agree on!

i'll go ahead and walk into this one:

i disagree with you Randy (like nobody's ever said THAT before)... if anyone had named someone like Bill Hicks, and then listed a name or two i was unfamiliar with, i'd immediately check them out...

Sean Penn

no kidding, right?

TomAz
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
LWxUR8MPJtg

thelastgreatman
05-29-2008, 09:23 AM
Seriously? You know there's like MILLIONS of people who would list Bill Hicks if asked this question, right? You're really telling me that someone liking one of the most popular fucking standups of all time is grounds to think the other names they list are probably worth checking out? Would you do this with any stranger or just people on the message board? Sounds fucking ridiculous.

bug on your lip
05-29-2008, 09:35 AM
thelastgreatmeh is unique.....just like everyone else

Hannahrain
05-29-2008, 09:40 AM
When are you two going to tie the knot already? I need to know which comedian to book for the reception. I was thinking I'd just pull one off someone's list that had Bill Hicks on top.

paganman7
05-29-2008, 09:53 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/riversmylover33/mitch1.jpg

Absofuckinglutely!!!!

Mitch Hedberg was a god damn genuis! RIP :(

Hannahrain
05-29-2008, 09:54 AM
There's something special about Hedberg's voice and mannerisms that make him what he is. His jokes delivered by someone else would not be nearly as funny.

HEADSTRUCK
05-29-2008, 09:57 AM
QFT.

Demitri Martin

my fav^^^

sbessiso
05-29-2008, 09:58 AM
my fav^^^

fuck yeah!!! he was outrageously good at bonnaroo

Young blood
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
4eK5Pqy1o3w&feature

Young blood
05-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I miss def comedy jam.

paganman7
05-29-2008, 10:06 AM
There's something special about Hedberg's voice and mannerisms that make him what he is. His jokes delivered by someone else would not be nearly as funny.

Agreed 100%.

Some of my favorites:

I used to do drugs...I still do, but I used to too.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit!

I haven't slept for 10 days...because that would be too long.

I hate rice. No matter how hungry I am, I can't eat 1,000 of something.

betao
05-29-2008, 10:08 AM
The Amazing Jonathan
Bruce Bruce
Gabriel Iglesias
DC Benny
Demetri Martin
Daniel Tosh

garrett222
05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Mitch Fatel

Jim Gaffigan

Mitch Hedberg

Brian Regan

Dane Cook

Dane Cook is really funny, and if you are on the hate train instead of the Dane Train then you're in denial and against anything successful. I bet if Mitch Hedberg were alive today he'd be as popular as Dane and you'd hate him as well. Dane tells stories, and they are funny because they are true...that's why they're funny, because they're true.

betao
05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Dane isn't a bad comedian. Just really really really overrated.

gmoneyak
05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
George Carlin
Patrice O'Neal
Dave Attell
Dave Chappelle
Louis CK
Nick DiPaolo
Marc Maron

bug on your lip
05-29-2008, 11:16 AM
5 comedians i've never laughed at

Dane Cook
Wanda Sykes
Ant
Carlos Mencia
Kathleen Madigan

i'd like to add Rosie O'Donnel to that too... not sure if she ever called herself a comedian, but she started off her career doing "jokes" as a V-Jay on VH1..
they were so atrocius
she was 6 credits short of a degree if u know what i mean

fatbastard
05-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Dave Chappelle & Chris Rock

Cheddar's Cousin
05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
The only person funnier than Mitch Hedberg was is Steven Wright.

BROKENDOLL
05-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Well, I wouldn't say he's my favorite, or anyone elses for that matter, but this guy is funny as fuck and should get up off his ass and "run with it" instead of wasting it all on a music message board...TheLastGreatMan. Yeah, I said it. If he'ld just pull his head outa his ass, he might just hear his calling, no?

Pixiessp
05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Richard Pryor
Dave Chappelle
All my friends(majority) like Mitch Hedberg.
I just can't get into him.

Mr.Nipples
05-29-2008, 02:07 PM
george carlin
bill hicks
richard pryor
steven wright
robert schimmel
bill burr
andrew dice clay
lewis black

garrett222
05-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Dane isn't a bad comedian. Just really really really overrated.

How can he be overrated when every comedian or person who talks about comedians says how much they hate his guts?

jigsaw
05-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I think Joe Rogan is funny and so is Kat Williams

Young blood
05-29-2008, 02:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/spenwah/kji.jpg

paulb
05-29-2008, 02:48 PM
George Carlin is my favourite comedian.... you cant fuck with him.

betao
05-29-2008, 04:46 PM
How can he be overrated when every comedian or person who talks about comedians says how much they hate his guts?

because of his extreme success as a comedian. also, his value is very high. a friend of mine that books entertainment acts including comedians for her university told me that they can't afford him, but can afford other people, who in my opinion, are much much funnier than him.

Astrid
05-29-2008, 05:07 PM

exactly! its his voice that slays me.

gaypalmsprings
05-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Harvey Korman

PassiveTheory
05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
I'd pay money to watch Dane Cook be beaten down.

On a side note, I'd like to see Carlos Mencia get punched in the face by every comedian he's stolen jokes from.

betao
05-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Carlos Mencia is hit and miss. His main problem is that his material is the same every season. His show is just a bunch of repeats. Usually some form of racism involving illegal immigrants.

Ok, it was funny for the first season. 3 years later, time to find something new.

BlackSwan
05-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Demitri Martin is the man, but Robin Williams at Bimbo's was the funniest comedy show I have ever seen in person or on TV. Chris Rock is #2.

RIP Mitch Hedberg

Beef Jerky
05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't know if Conan O'Brien is considered a comedian, but I think he is the funniest man.

Backwater
05-29-2008, 06:15 PM
For the few Dane Cook fans on here, he stole nearly all of his material from Louis CK.

I'm surprised Harland Williams, George Lopez and Brian Posehn haven't been mentioned yet.

Daft Fro
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
http://stuvi.com/pablofrancisco/drupal_pablo%20francisco_bits%20and%20pieces.jpg

stuporfly
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/2cprjnd.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/a24v3d.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/2qn340z.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/2n0n7np.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/2ilhsih.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/2f07olk.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/2u5fdoi.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/rh75g7.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/15ytc7m.jpg

PassiveTheory
05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Dude, the Sklar bros are amazing.

menikmati
05-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Dane Cook blows.

All That I Am
05-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Dane Cook can suck my diarrhea through a straw.

All That I Am
05-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Bill Hicks
Richard Pryor
George Carlin
Andy Kaufman
Patton Oswalt
Almost every episode of Mr. SHow

gmoneyak
05-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Holy fuck!! lol..

that picture of Pete Doherty is BRUTAL

I'll also add this creepy fucker to my comedian list:

http://www.hbo.com/luckylouie/img/castandcrew/506x316_rich.jpg

dude cracks me up.

betao
05-29-2008, 11:33 PM
HqvenoKDP_Q&feature=related

eoygH4h45jM&feature=related

4vj8G2JVd8Q&feature=related

bug on your lip
05-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Beef Jerky
nice call on Conan O'Brien.... he does have a great delivery and i do like all the spastic nervouse noises/body movements he does on the fly

Backwater
you fukkin hit on 2 great ones...
Harland Williams (Rocketman!) and Brian Posehn (Sarah Silverman show) make mah effin side hurt from laughter... they are way way underated

and i think the 3 funniest doods from Minneapolis list currently is:
Mitch Hedburg
bug on your lip
Nick Swardson

Ardentbiscuit
05-30-2008, 06:53 AM
I always like George Carlin. He's the only comedian who seems to get more angry and off the wall as years go by. Nothing seems to mellow him out.

And I always love Don Rickles. I don't think there is anyone in the world who can be as offensive as him without any public outrage.

gaypalmsprings
05-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Do dead comedians count?

stuporfly
05-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Do dead comedians count?

They do if you're using their corpses to insulate your home.

stuporfly
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Dude, the Sklar bros are amazing.

Agreed.

http://i25.tinypic.com/m9oswm.jpg

They're unbelievably nice guys, too. I sent them an e-mail in 2006 telling them my (soon to be ex) wife was a big fan, and would it be possible to have them leave her a birthday comment on her MySpace or something. They went one better, sending her an incredibly funny e-mail.

BROKENDOLL
05-30-2008, 11:52 AM
I always like George Carlin. He's the only comedian who seems to get more angry and off the wall as years go by. Nothing seems to mellow him out.

And I always love Don Rickles. I don't think there is anyone in the world who can be as offensive as him without any public outrage. Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that. Carlin + Rickles= TLGM?

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 11:52 AM
George Carlin is the single unfunniest fucking person in existence. This is exactly why one shouldn't bother starting threads like this.

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Carlos Mencia is hit and miss. His main problem is that his material is the same every season. His show is just a bunch of repeats. Usually some form of racism involving illegal immigrants.

Ok, it was funny for the first season. 3 years later, time to find something new.

Betao, if you ever say that Carlos Mencia is ever funny in my presence I will not apologize for kicking the everloving shit out of you.

Blinken
05-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Carlos Mencio stole most of his shit from George Lopez. Plus his real name is Ned Holness and he is half German half Honduran. He changed his name and ethnicity to identify with the mexicans in LA.

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Putting aside the numerous people he stole his material from, any comedian who prefaces all his fucking jokes by saying, "Now watch out 'cause I'm about to say some really shocking shit, not all of you are gonna like it but I'm just telling it like it is 'cause I'm SO FUCKING EDGY" and then goes on to make one lame stereotype joke older than dirt after another which he follows by pointing out someone in the audience and going, "Oh I'm sorry, did that offend you, member of the group that last hacky stereotype joke was stereotyping? YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!" need to be shot in the fucking head.

BROKENDOLL
05-30-2008, 12:23 PM
George Carlin is the single unfunniest fucking person in existence. This is exactly why one shouldn't bother starting threads like this. It wasn't a thread about George Carlin, Randy. It was about anyone's favorite comedian, not necessarily yours. Shit, do you think I expect everyone to agree with me that you're one fucking funny asshole and should be making a living from it? No. I just lucked out that they all agree that you're an asshole. And funny.

betao
05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Betao, if you ever say that Carlos Mencia is ever funny in my presence I will not apologize for kicking the everloving shit out of you.

Putting aside the numerous people he stole his material from, any comedian who prefaces all his fucking jokes by saying, "Now watch out 'cause I'm about to say some really shocking shit, not all of you are gonna like it but I'm just telling it like it is 'cause I'm SO FUCKING EDGY" and then goes on to make one lame stereotype joke older than dirt after another which he follows by pointing out someone in the audience and going, "Oh I'm sorry, did that offend you, member of the group that last hacky stereotype joke was stereotyping? YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE!" need to be shot in the fucking head.

Heh, I was only saying his show was alright when it first came out. But its old now - he's just using the same material over and over again. Once in a while he'll give a one liner that may make me chuckle, but the main part of his humor, and what he's known for, is just getting old and stale.

and George Lopez is wayy funnier than Mencia.

Young blood
05-30-2008, 12:28 PM
the mentally and physically handicapped.

humanoid
05-30-2008, 12:32 PM

my old roommate used to love that fucking terrible show, and every time I heard Carlos Mencia's voice, it created an uncontrollable urge to commit murder...he not clever or funny at all

humanoid
05-30-2008, 12:34 PM
David Cross is probably my favorite. a few of the times that I've seen him live, I was laughing so hard that it hurt

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah, it was never funny at all. Betao, how are we supposed to team up and fuck every single vagina at Virgin Fest when you keep saying stuff that's going to make me wreck your face?

=)

betao
05-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah, it was never funny at all. Betao, how are we supposed to team up and fuck every single vagina at Virgin Fest when you keep saying stuff that's going to make me wreck your face?

=)

well if fucking everyone is the plan, then i'll just go ahead and shut up.

All i'll say is that right now, my favorite comedians are The Amazing Jonathan and Bruce Bruce.

Mr.Nipples
05-30-2008, 02:08 PM
George Carlin is the single unfunniest fucking person in existence. This is exactly why one shouldn't bother starting threads like this.

You're a jackass

stinkbutt
05-30-2008, 02:19 PM
When I need a good chuckle I just put this on

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/posters/posterimages/p/predator.jpg

HowToDisappear
05-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Flip Wilson

Astrid
05-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that. Carlin + Rickles= TLGM?

stop sucking his dick so hard. he's never going to like you, or be nice to you.

also doesnt he have you on ignore anyways? you're embarrassing yourself...

Mr.Nipples
05-30-2008, 03:51 PM
dont be bitchy

menikmati
05-30-2008, 04:43 PM
BOB SAGET!

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 04:48 PM
well if fucking everyone is the plan, then i'll just go ahead and shut up.

All i'll say is that right now, my favorite comedians are The Amazing Jonathan and Bruce Bruce.

Alright, let's just not bring up stand-up comedy when we're fucking those thousands of girls.

You're a jackass

You're easily impressed by old cunts bitching about shit.

also doesnt he have you on ignore anyways? you're embarrassing yourself...

This is true, but let's stop quoting her so that I can enjoy the ignore, thanks.

BlackSwan
05-30-2008, 05:03 PM
i agree with garrettt, you guys don't like Dane Cook because he is super successful and gets more pussy then all of the guys on this board combined.

Mr. Dylanja
05-30-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm too lazy to read all 3 pages of this thread but I think Daniel Tosh is hilarious.

What about Dangerfield? He gets no respect.

Backwater
05-30-2008, 05:35 PM
i agree with garrettt, you guys don't like Dane Cook because he is super successful and gets more pussy then all of the guys on this board combined.

That's not the original, primary reason why we don't like him but that jealousy certainly fuels the fire and makes us hate him even more.

We don't like him because he's not funny. A comedians job is to make us laugh and he's not doing his job, he doesn't make us laugh, period.

menikmati
05-30-2008, 05:41 PM
The stupid jolly rancher thing did it for me...as soon as I heard that, and realized that was trying to be passed off as being funny...I knew then that a pile of horseshit was more valuable than Dane Cook.

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah guys, you were right--I'm SO FUCKING GLAD we have this thread so we can hear some stupid lousy cocksuckers try and say that Dane Cook is funny. This plan to get great new comedians out of the thread is coming true. THANKS A LOT.

stuporfly
05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
We don't like him because he's not funny. A comedians job is to make us laugh and he's not doing his job, he doesn't make us laugh, period.

That's the only reason I don't like him. None of the rest of it matters to me. All those ladies he beds are damaged goods, anyway. They've caught the mediocrity bug.

Ardentbiscuit
05-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Yeah guys, you were right--I'm SO FUCKING GLAD we have this thread so we can hear some stupid lousy cocksuckers try and say that Dane Cook is funny. This plan to get great new comedians out of the thread is coming true. THANKS A LOT.

Maybe if you had named the thread Favorite new and/or undiscovered comedians we would have not brought up people you already know.

menikmati
05-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Every comedian thread on this board will eventually turn into a dane cook discussion.

betao
05-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Alright, let's just not bring up stand-up comedy when we're fucking those thousands of girls.

yeah I think I can live with that.

BROKENDOLL
05-31-2008, 03:30 AM

also doesnt he have you on ignore anyways? you're embarrassing yourself... If you consider that post as sucking his dick, then you suck dick wrong and should be the embarrassed one. Just my thought.

xxxxxxxxxx
05-31-2008, 04:34 AM
XYffXv7jMYQ
Steven Wright. Brilliant.

Dane Cook. Not funny.

and of course I can't forget about Dave Chappelle. Seen him many times and he's always great. I love when he starts ripping on Carlos Mencia. One night Robin Williams shows up at one of Dave's shows unannounced and jumps up on stage and they trade off jokes all night. Hilarious. Mos Def got up on stage with them too at one point.

Eddie Murphy

Dov Davidoff (just discovered him and love what I've heard)

qSggd4mnV-0
NEIL HAMBURGER!!! One time I saw him open for Iron & Wine and Calexico. Seeing people yell at him him and throw shit at him is so funny. I don't think I've ever seen so much hatred. Either the worst or the best comedian of all time. I'm not sure yet.

Ardentbiscuit
05-31-2008, 10:39 AM
I saw Neil Hamburger open a huge show at the Gibson. People were booing and screaming and throwing things. Someone threw beer on him and Neil said, "You just earned yourself 30 more minutes of comedy."

Dead silence from the audience. Hilarious!

Lurker_in_a_tree
05-31-2008, 11:42 AM
yeah, neil hamburger was opening for tenacious D that nite.

"and now what you've all been waiting for.. it's time for me to introduce....my next set of jokes!"