PDA

View Full Version : Palm Desert High School's Walk-In Wednesday

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Today at my school, a bunch of us gathered at a park near our school at 6:45 this morning, and walked to school in a single file line to protest the war. Once we arrived, we drew chalk outlines of our bodies in each parking space in the parking lot to represtent the number of American soldiers that have died. We then held hands and stood in silence as cars drove by.

Some of you may be interested in this, and some of you (probably most of you) won't car. Regardless, I thought I'd mention it and post some pictures of the event:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/walk1.jpg
Me getting outlined.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/walk2.jpg
I'm the pale looking girl, second one from the right.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/walk3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/walk4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/walk5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/walk6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/diehardHPusedfan111/walk7.jpg

Young blood
05-28-2008, 03:05 PM
big foot goes to your school?

gaypalmsprings
05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Palm Desert students march to protest war, gas prices

Staff Report • May 28, 2008

About 15 Palm Desert High School students marched before school this morning to protest the war in Iraq and gas prices.

The group started at Hovley Soccer Park, then marched down Cook Street to the high school.

The group wore yellow to symbolize change.

"We're fighting a war that's not our own," Palm Desert senior Lauren Herman said.

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Ignore the gas prices part. It wasn't about gas prices at all.

PassiveTheory
05-28-2008, 03:12 PM
hahahahaha even with minor high school protest blurbs the media still manages to get shit wrong. That's funny.

gaypalmsprings
05-28-2008, 03:13 PM
So you are okay with gas prices?

slurpee
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Pretty radical stuff.

Did a teacher help fuel this rally? Or was it all student organized?

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Student organized.

Mr.Nipples
05-28-2008, 03:17 PM
n1sZLSO9va0&hl=en

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:17 PM
So you are okay with gas prices?

No, because my parents are now making me pay for all my gas, which sucks.
But we just wanted to make sure that everyone didn't think we were protesting the gas prices, even though they're ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure someone is going to call the desert sun and have them change it.

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Mr. Nipples, you never cease to make me smile.

PassiveTheory
05-28-2008, 03:19 PM
No, because my parents are now making me pay for all my gas, which sucks.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah....

slurpee
05-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Sell your car. Don't pay for gas. Buy more weed.

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:20 PM

I'm not waaah-ing.
I'm just saying that I don't enjoy the gas prices, but I'll pay for mine seeing as I'm 17 and if I'm driving my car I should pay for the gas.

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:21 PM

I'm not waaah-ing.
I'm just saying that I don't enjoy the gas prices, but I'll pay for mine seeing as if I'm driving my car I should pay for the gas.

KatieLyn

I'm not waaah-ing.
I'm just saying that I don't enjoy the gas prices, but I'll pay for mine seeing as if I'm driving my car I should pay for the gas.

KatieLyn

I'm not waaah-ing.

KatieLyn
Whoa...did NOT mean to post all those.
My apologies.

downingthief
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Katie, that is really cool. Glad you were a part of it!

Young blood
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
blood 4 oil!

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Katie, that is really cool. Glad you were a part of it!

Thanks =] I'm glad I was too.

Cdubby
05-28-2008, 03:29 PM
is that paige holding your hand in the picture?

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Why yes Cdubby, it is!

full on idle
05-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I don't car about oil prices.

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't car about oil prices.

Do you ride a bike?

full on idle
05-28-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't car about bikes.

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't car about bikes.

Do you not care about many things?

full on idle
05-28-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't car about many things.

thelastgreatman
05-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Gas prices are war.

full on idle
05-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I don't war about cars

Cdubby
Why yes Cdubby, it is!

yay for more paige pictures!!!

thelastgreatman
I care.

I FUCKING CARE, ALRIGHT?

Actually, sorry, I was wrong. I don't care in the slightest. Next time protest with some titties out, please. I'll care, I promise.

KatieLyn
Gas prices are war.

I just had an image flash across my mind of you, dressed in Spartan attire waging war with a gas pump.

Go figure.

full on idle
05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
all I want is for someone to Oh Tom me because I made puns about the typo in the first post. Is that so much to ask. What is wrong with you.

KatieLyn
yay for more paige pictures!!!

I should aware her of your love for her.

thelastgreatman
Next week they're organizing a protest to find the boy in the purple Holy Fuck shirt. Half a dozen lonely 35 year olds from this board will show up in homemade purple Holy Fuck shirts.

The girls will fuck them all just to be safe.

full on idle
Every once in awhile, it'd be nice to get some pun recognition.

Young blood
HONK IF UR HORNEY!

thelastgreatman
05-28-2008, 03:37 PM
Puns suck.

RECKONIZE.

Cdubby
05-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I should aware her of your love for her.

oh i will be totally in, who doesn't like a stranger on the internets lusting after them.....not creepy at all.

tell her ill pick her up at 7

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Next week they're organizing a protest to find the boy in the purple Holy Fuck shirt. Half a dozen lonely 35 year olds from this board will show up in homemade purple Holy Fuck shirts.

The girls will fuck them all just to be safe.

No no, once I see the real purple shirt boy, I'll know. No 35 year old man will fool me. (Not even you Calmer, if you're reading this =P <3)

Young blood
05-28-2008, 03:39 PM
abduct her at 7

Geno_g
05-28-2008, 03:40 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1041/527737871_a78abea270.jpg?v=0

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I'll let her know Cdubby.

Except her and I actually have plans around 7 tonight, so you might need to hold off till tomorrow, if that's managable.

Cdubby
05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I'll let her know Cdubby.

Except her and I actually have plans around 7 tonight, so you might need to hold off till tomorrow, if that's managable.

hmm ill hold off until she's 18 and cool enough to go back to coachella

thelastgreatman
05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Tell you what, Katie--I'll wear whatever the fuck I want and make your vagina is the WTC and I'm Flight 97. By the time it's all over you won't remember what color shirt anybody was wearing ever, and you'll be able to walk again in... oh... three weeks tops. Deal? Deal.

Mr. Dylanja
05-28-2008, 03:45 PM

I think Big Pun was one of the best rappers ever!

thelastgreatman
05-28-2008, 03:45 PM
RECKONIZE

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Tell you what, Katie--I'll wear whatever the fuck I want and make your vagina is the WTC and I'm Flight 97. By the time it's all over you won't remember what color shirt anybody was wearing ever, and you'll be able to walk again in... oh... three weeks tops. Deal? Deal.

Oh alright, FINE.

thelastgreatman
05-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Good. Wait, are both you seventeen? Eh fuck it. In fact, if you're 18 I'm not interested anymore. I like my Trade Towers as petite as possible.

That's a really sexually creepy description of a building--how often do you seen one of those? I wonder if it would still be creepy if the WTC didn't collapse.

luckyface
05-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Good. Wait, are both you seventeen? Eh fuck it. In fact, if you're 18 I'm not interested anymore. I like my Trade Towers as petite as possible.

That's a really sexually creepy description of a building--how often do you seen one of those? I wonder if it would still be creepy if the WTC didn't collapse.

I was just going to say, your new employer might be fine with lying about educational information, but I think they would draw the line with statutory.

thelastgreatman
05-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I've never dipped more than a couple years younger, not my thing.

But for the record... consent is 16 in California.

wmgaretjax
05-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Pretty radical stuff.

Seriously... I'd be scared that the government was taking fo-toes and runnin license plates if I did stuff like that. shiiiiit.

gaypalmsprings
05-28-2008, 04:09 PM

I saw your car pun. LOL. ROFL. OMG. WTF.

Hannahrain
05-28-2008, 04:17 PM
big foot goes to your school?

I thought it was Gumby.

BROKENDOLL
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff225/maiaonfarm/stop-the-war.jpg I'm headed that way shortly, KatieLyn. Think I'm gonna hafta check out the parking lot! Good for you guys!

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 04:40 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff225/maiaonfarm/stop-the-war.jpg I'm headed that way shortly, KatieLyn. Think I'm gonna hafta check out the parking lot! Good for you guys!

Thanks Brokendoll! Lemme know if you see the drawings, and what you think!

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Also, GPS, I saw your post on mydesert.com about the event.

It made me smile knowing it was you =]
haha.

thelastgreatman
05-28-2008, 04:47 PM
The kids in my school were always too pussy to protest, so I'd do it alone. Frequently these protests took the form of disrupting classes or assemblies by executing a rather painful front flip onto a teacher's desk or tackling a podium.

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 04:54 PM
We had it planned to do a Walk Out, rather than a Walk In, where we all walked out of first period at 8:00 AM and walked off campus peacefully, walked down to the gas station (not so much having to do with gas prices, just a good location to walk to) circle, and then walk back. We had A LOT more than 15 kids willing to do it, but the principle said that any seniors who walked would get their graduation ceremony revoked, and any juniors, sophmores, or freshmen, would get suspended. I was still up for it, but only four other kids were, so we decided to plan something that didn't disrupt class and would have more than five kids participating.

amyzzz
05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
all I want is for someone to Oh Tom me because I made puns about the typo in the first post. Is that so much to ask. What is wrong with you.
If it makes you happy, I thought you were funny.

thelastgreatman
05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Blow me?

gaypalmsprings
05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
Also, GPS, I saw your post on mydesert.com about the event.

It made me smile knowing it was you =]
haha.

You are very resourceful to figure out it was me!

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 05:08 PM
You are very resourceful to figure out it was me!

I know, right?
I'm extremely observent.

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
It is 6 pm, i got home today, and im not sober, there is much to be said about my protesting abilities and ventures...Ill start with a religious experience that included no interaction with god whatsoever... I was lured into a mormon church with shiny lights and dangling keys by an apprentice I had as a youth (about 15), during what is supposedly called, something of the sort, "baring testimony day."People reveal how they truly feel about mormonism. I no little about the faith at the time and what I did know was supposedly false, key word was. The story is simple, I walked up to the podium after about ten people had gone or so and I preceded to inform them about how the great salamander god had indeed blessed my life and that I am working hard to spread the faith in hope that he will give me Saturn(including the rings and at least 2/3 of its moon's.) I was then yanked off stage and held until police arrived, I explained my situation and was served with a restraining order against that particular location, I was told I got "lucky" and could have been in A LOT OF TROUBLE... eh, not so much protesting as it is tomfoolery... If Aesop were alive he would inform you the moral of this story but he died along time ago so I get to tell you! No one likes mormon people so go ahead and fuck with them, because it is relatively easy to get away with, that is if you are in the mood to fuck with people.

You are my hero.

Young blood
05-28-2008, 05:26 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/RSchneider78/Star-Trek-Dont-Phase-Me-Bro.jpg

KatieLyn
05-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Homage includes sex

If it's for the salamander God, then okay.

gaypalmsprings
05-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Homage includes sex

http://www.renee-fleming.com/images/HomageBig.jpg

gaypalmsprings
05-28-2008, 05:57 PM
http://www.mac-i.co.uk/aprilfools05/body11.jpg

JClemy
05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Thats cool.

betao
05-28-2008, 06:02 PM
katie:

very cool to see high schoolers actually do an organized form of protest! much more mature than the people I went to high school with. Very impressive, hats off to you, paige, and the others who took part in ti!

- matt.

fatbastard
05-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Big up for the little bastards who protested.
QMBZDwf9dok

wmgaretjax
05-28-2008, 08:23 PM
so we decided to plan something that didn't disrupt class and would have more than five kids participating.

That's exactly what a protest should be, non-disruptive and with no one taking any chances...

Alchemy
05-28-2008, 08:54 PM
How will we ever defeat the terrorists by chalking ourselves in parking lots? Why does Palm Desert High School hate freedom?

canexplain
05-28-2008, 08:56 PM
That's exactly what a protest should be, non-disruptive and with no one taking any chances...

well you knew i would have to say something about this ... and tjax, some times you have to work in the system to at least get to your real starting point of action .... katielyn, i was 18 when i was arrested for protesting the war because i felt so strongly .. (actually that was the only time cept the time in new orleans, me tripping, and a coconut, but thats another story :) .... so way to go guys ... i would be proud to call you my kids for a day, well maybe my grandkids lol ... i think what might be as important as the issue, and it is number one in my world, the fact that you protested anything shows guts and a heart that has been missing for a lot of years here in the states .... come on up to the dnc if you really want to see the pros (and i am not bragging that i am one, because i am far from it, but the peeps who are hitting the mile high city in just months, can show you a few tricks ... geez i am stright tonight and i still ramble.... rock on girl, a lot of us are proud of you ... x****

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j211/canexplain/poster1.jpg

...i had to look up the translation on that, i dont know that language at all ...x***

canexplain
05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
How will we ever defeat the terrorists by chalking ourselves in parking lots? Why does Palm Desert High School hate freedom?

since we won the war on drugs (hush dont tell randy), we can use all of those people and money and track down those scary terrorists .... life is so simple eh ....x**** fuck, i forgot we lost that war, nevermind .......

Alchemy
05-28-2008, 09:09 PM
since we won the war on drugs (hush dont tell randy), we can use all of those people and money and track down those scary terrorists .... life is so simple eh ....x**** fuck, i forgot we lost that war, nevermind .......

Don't give up hope yet, Ron. I'm sure President Bush will pull through in the final moments of his presidency. He's just been saving the big game pieces and acting like a jackass so that we wouldn't see what's coming in the end.

I hope.

full on idle
05-28-2008, 09:14 PM
If it makes you happy, I thought you were funny.

Yes! Thank you.

Give them a break they're teenagers in a super conservative community.

canexplain
05-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Don't give up hope yet, Ron. I'm sure President Bush will pull through in the final moments of his presidency. He's just been saving the big game pieces and acting like a jackass so that we wouldn't see what's coming in the end.

I hope.

i am a lib all the way, but, if that happened, i would toast to the dude for sure ... x****

wmgaretjax
05-28-2008, 09:38 PM

Oh, I have no problem with any of it. I just thought that statement was funny.

We had a similar issue at the highschool I went to for my last semester of high school (after I returned form Indonesia)... I walked out and lost "walking privileges," but that was because I didn't plan on going to graduation in the first place (why would I after spending one semester at a school). A few others went along with me as well, and it seemed a bigger sacrifice for them (although one still walked, so I'm curious as to whether the threat was empty).

That protest wasn't very rowdy though. I went to some shindigs when i lived in Indonesia during the krises ekonomik that were scary as hell. Very different situation from here. I participated in a couple demonstrations that ended up being hand cuffed in college, but i was never booked (because I didn't do anything "wrong").

I've become a little disillusioned with a lot of the protest scene. Part of it is pathetic apathy and frustration on my part, a good chunk of it is also that people turn every protest into a melting pot of causes... You go to a war protest and all the sudden someone is speaking about Darfur or Tibet and, even though I care about those issues, some sense of solidarity and focus would be great...

canexplain
05-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Oh, I have no problem with any of it. I just thought that statement was funny.

We had a similar issue at the highschool I went to for my last semester of high school (after I returned form Indonesia)... I walked out and lost "walking privileges," but that was because I didn't plan on going to graduation in the first place (why would I after spending one semester at a school). A few others went along with me as well, and it seemed a bigger sacrifice for them (although one still walked, so I'm curious as to whether the threat was empty).

That protest wasn't very rowdy though. I went to some shindigs when i lived in Indonesia during the krises ekonomik that were scary as hell. Very different situation from here. I participated in a couple demonstrations that ended up being hand cuffed in college, but i was never booked (because I didn't do anything "wrong").

I've become a little disillusioned with a lot of the protest scene. Part of it is pathetic apathy and frustration on my part, a good chunk of it is also that people turn every protest into a melting pot of causes... You go to a war protest and all the sudden someone is speaking about Darfur or Tibet and, even though I care about those issues, some sense of solidarity and focus would be great...

very well put and i agree with all you said ... and the comments about Indonesia , thats why in my comment I said "in the US", they sure know how to protest in foreign countries ... interesting since we are the home of the free .. day in a life sometimes ....x***

algunz
05-28-2008, 10:04 PM
I staged my own personal protest in high school.

The school was under construction and the student's lot lost at least half our spaces. Meanwhile the teacher's area was always open but "unavailable." I was late to school one day and was pissed that I couldn't find a place to park and the security told me I couldn't park in the staff area. I chose to drive my '63 Bug into the middle of the student quad and leave it there.

I was suspended for a day. I spent it at the beach.

Pixiessp
05-29-2008, 12:44 AM
I commend you Katie and all your friends for taking a stand.
Especially at such an early hour.

Hopeless Semantic
05-29-2008, 12:55 AM
The disruption during May Day a few years back in L.B was unexpected, but getting out there and protesting any cause is what makes the freedoms we so often take for granted, worth it. I commend you Katie and co. for taking the initiative to protest something. Did you guys also draw an outline for all the Iraqi (innocent) people killed as "collateral damage?"

gaypalmsprings
05-29-2008, 05:19 AM
i was arrested in new orleans, me tripping, and a coconut, but thats another story :) ...x***

Do tell. Especially the part about the coconut.

captncrzy
05-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Good for you Katie. Soon, you'll be old and jaded and realize you just can't fight the man, but at least you tried to make a difference.

TomAz
05-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Some people have gardening as a hobby. Some people collect coins. Others protest, especially if they don't have actual jobs.

Young blood
05-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Numismatics.

get a job you fucking hippies.

canexplain
05-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Numismatics.

get a job you fucking hippies.

ya, those worthless assholes :) x****

CalmerThanYou
05-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Katie, Next time use some violence and you'll really turn heads and make a difference.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/graphics/photos/news/original/war_room/homestead_jihadist/Molotov-cocktail200.jpg

jackstraw94086
05-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Yes! Thank you.

wgmrtarttzztexcckdlsupercalifragilisticexpialidoci ous is sort of right. What good is a protest that doesn't inconvenience someone?

conservative communities are exactly where protests need to be more aggressive. Mild half-assed protests do more harm than good because they sate rich people's consciences. It makes them think they DO give a damn and they're doing their part. That little act of civil obedience has their parents beaming with pride as they forget for a moment that they're about to vote for McCain and another 100 years of war. Then they can go back to doing nothing again knowing their commuminity has made a statement. Local politics are FAR more important than national politics. You have to piss off your neighbors if you want them reevaluate their ideas. Groundswells, by definition, don't happen from the top.

btw I'm not being hipocritical in any of this. I personally don't give a shit about anything. I help inner city basketball teams by buying Hershey bars at the entrance to Safeway. That's what I do.

Young blood
05-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Another way to reach conservative old people is through flimflamery.

Alchemy
05-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I remember this one guy back in high school was going to protest standardized testing by getting everyone to tear up their test in the cafeteria during the actual testing. He got a lot of people into it too.

Yeah, he was the only one who did it. He got in trouble.

I wasn't there though. I was a grade younger and we didn't have to take it.

betao
05-29-2008, 09:49 AM
wgmrtarttzztexcckdlsupercalifragilisticexpialidoci ous is sort of right. What good is a protest that doesn't inconvenience someone?

conservative communities are exactly where protests need to be more aggressive. Mild half-assed protests do more harm than good because they sate rich people's consciences. It makes them think they DO give a damn and they're doing their part. That little act of civil obedience has their parents beaming with pride as they forget for a moment that they're about to vote for McCain and another 100 years of war. Then they can go back to doing nothing again knowing their commuminity has made a statement. Local politics are FAR more important than national politics. You have to piss off your neighbors if you want them reevaluate their ideas. Groundswells, by definition, don't happen from the top.

btw I'm not being hipocritical in any of this. I personally don't give a shit about anything. I help inner city basketball teams by buying Hershey bars at the entrance to Safeway. That's what I do.

I agree that if protests want to get noticed by the community, they do need to be more aggressive. But (according to Katie) there were severe consequences if they skipped classes for it. When you're older, its ok to take those chances in my opinion. But not when you're young - especially with your education being threatened.

And younger people protesting is always good. Though its not very aggressive and it doesn't contain any real civil disobedience, it will still make a few people turn their heads because it can be quite a sight to see the younger generation taking some kind of stand for a cause, without being told by someone older to do so. I would like to see if they go any further during the summer, when school is not a factor.

But on that note, good job to Katie and her friends. I'm somewhat impressed.

wmgaretjax
05-29-2008, 09:51 AM
I help inner city basketball teams by buying Hershey bars at the entrance to Safeway. That's what I do.

Fucking liar. You buy fucking girlscout cookies from the white girl with red hair.

wmgaretjax
05-29-2008, 10:16 AM
rV7VBx_xunI

jackstraw94086
05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Fucking liar. You buy fucking girlscout cookies from the white girl with red hair.

no. just the brunettes.

I often succumb to my urge to punch ginger kids. It's a problem.

wmgaretjax
05-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I often succumb to my urge to punch ginger kids. It's a problem.

I can imagine, I'd be worried about their blood getting on me. I mean, we're told they aren't contagious... but I'm not so sure.

amyzzz
05-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Shoot, what could I have protested in 1991 (my year of hs graduation)? Desert Storm? I would have totally done that to get out of "walking" at graduation. I hate having attentipn focussed on me in public. Heck, I hated having a wedding. I should have protested by eloping or something. The problem is, I think I my laziness outdoes my hate for being in public. Or maybe I'm just not creative.

Kudos to you and your friends Katie for creativity.

fatbastard
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
CuTi9UZtPbw

Young blood
05-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Shoot, what could I have protested in 1991 (my year of hs graduation)? Desert Storm? I would have totally done that to get out of "walking" at graduation. I hate having attentipn focussed on me in public. Heck, I hated having a wedding. I should have protested by eloping or something. The problem is, I think I my laziness outdoes my hate for being in public. Or maybe I'm just not creative.

Kudos to you and your friends Katie for creativity.

1991 was such an totally awesome year. especially for music <3'rs.

algunz
05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I remember this one guy back in high school was going to protest standardized testing by getting everyone to tear up their test in the cafeteria during the actual testing. He got a lot of people into it too.

Yeah, he was the only one who did it. He got in trouble.

I wasn't there though. I was a grade younger and we didn't have to take it.

I would totally support this. Those fucking tests are total bunk.

amyzzz
05-29-2008, 11:32 AM
That is no reason for a protest. Music pretty much saved my life that summer---Curve and Morrissey and NIN and Joy Division. Dark days.

menikmati
05-29-2008, 11:35 AM
1991 for life.

KatieLyn
05-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Tis also the year I was born.
Hooray for my birth.

NicoDread
05-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Tis also the year I was born.
Hooray for my birth.

Yeah me too.

gaypalmsprings
05-29-2008, 06:11 PM
I turned 36 in 1991.

KatieLyn
05-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I turned 36 in 1991.

You're an old man, GPS.

betao
05-29-2008, 06:43 PM
I turned 3 years old in 1991.

PassiveTheory
05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
I was 2... Man I missed a lot of good live shows.

cansei de ser sexme
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
i was -1

KatieLyn
05-29-2008, 06:52 PM
We're all youngens.

menikmati
05-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I was rocking out to Teen Spirit.

KatieLyn
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM

Along with my older brothers, that introduced me to it at an early age.

jackstraw94086
05-29-2008, 07:40 PM

wait I was a freshman in high school. How old were you when that came out?

menikmati
05-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I was 7.

jazzz
05-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Fuck "teen spirit"

91' was "little fluffy clouds"

jackstraw94086
05-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Fuck "teen spirit"

91' was "little fluffy clouds"

some of us were still pretending to be into alternative rock in order to grope some boob. ambient wasn't very sexy back then.

Young blood
05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
hip hop was my badge in 91.

Lollapalooza changed mah life.

75 Miles
05-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm a 91 grad too. Teen Spirit all the way.

algunz
05-29-2008, 09:01 PM
The summer of 91 was unforgettable, absolute perfection.

Alchemy
05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I think I was about 4 in 1991. And I didn't listen to Teen Spirit or Little Fluffy Clouds.

I had Joshua Tree on repeat since 1987 till 1999.

EDIT: Actually, till about 1995 or 1996, when I discovered a song called "She's Electric" by Oasis.

menikmati
05-29-2008, 09:29 PM
I moved out of my mom's house and into my dad's g/f house in the summer of '91, and thats when I hung out with her daughter (my step sister) who just so happened to buy the cassette single of Teen Spirit when it came out (I still have the tape)....I have memories of playing that tape over and over on her boom box sitting in her room at age 7, and then writing my own lyrics to it on a piece of paper and then sitting up by the tv late at night waiting for the video to come on MTV. Good times. Maybe one of the best things to happen for me.

algunz
05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
'91 was the summer of Lollapalooza, Slacker, tattoos, Generation X, The Tustin Inn (a local dive bar), and days exquisitely wasted.

I am so nostalgic right now. It is pitiful.

jazzz
05-30-2008, 02:27 AM
some of us were still pretending to be into alternative rock in order to grope some boob. ambient wasn't very sexy back then.

ambient was sexy just depends... most of us/me came from wherehouse 88-91 parties enjoying real MDMA... for those grunge twats on my street I would just play Killing Joke and they would fuck off after that. Killing Joke=ORB

jackstraw94086
05-30-2008, 08:10 AM
ambient was sexy just depends... most of us/me came from wherehouse 88-91 parties enjoying real MDMA... for those grunge twats on my street I would just play Killing Joke and they would fuck off after that. Killing Joke=ORB

real MDMA still exists ya know. It's a shame some people can't find it. And there are still parties every bit as much if not more fun than in the early 90's with music that doesn't require mdma to be enjoyed. Most 90's rave music was fucking horrendous.

amyzzz
05-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Me too. Those fuckers sold out the old Electric Ballroom (whatever it was called then), and I didn't get to see them until December 1991 when they played with Pearl Jam and RHCP, and my seats were so shitty I couldn't see the stage. That kinda sucked.

Ah. 1991.

I'm glad you were born then Katielyn so this is very vaguely on topic being your thread and all. :thu

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Wherehouse: you could party there, if anyone knew how to find it.

amyzzz
05-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Just read about "little fluffy clouds." I saw the Orb back in 1991 too. At the fucking Sliver Dollar, this dive bar in the warehouse area in downtown Phoenix. It was tiny but the show was awesome. I wish I knew where my old Orb glasses were.

chairmenmeow47
05-30-2008, 09:04 AM
i was 9 and owning jump rope competitions in 1991.

Young blood
05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
I discovered pot in 1991. :(

thelastgreatman
05-30-2008, 09:23 AM
I can't fucking believe some of you were born in 91. Your lives have sucked.

gratytrainridesagain
05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
No shit I never knew there were so many youngins on here

BROKENDOLL
05-30-2008, 09:33 AM
I turned 36 in 1991. In all the time I've been on this board I never even glanced at your profile GPS, so this made my day...

You're an old man, GPS. You really are an old man, aren't you? :winkiss

Hopeless Semantic
05-30-2008, 09:46 AM
I remember picking up Nevermind and just being amazed. It was one of the first CDs I bought on my own since I was a younging back then and it represented the first movement from strictly a hip-hop kid to a more diverse student of the arts.

canexplain
05-30-2008, 10:03 AM
91 hummmmm ... first of 10 grandkids born i think :) and yb, ya thats about the same time for me hehehehe.. x****

Young blood
05-30-2008, 10:05 AM
1991 not 1891........gotcha. lol. <3 cr***

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 08:52 AM
I can't fucking believe some of you were born in 91. Your lives have sucked.

Meh, its not so bad. I got to experience a lot of music through my brothers who were teenagers at the time, plus I got to experience all the fun 90's kid things such as Doug and Are You Afraid Of The Dark? and of course aside from the stuff I listened to with my brother, I got to enjoy the typical 90's kid music which consisted of the backstreet boys, haha.

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 08:54 AM
You have Doug and Are You Afraid Of The Dark?...

We had Ducktales and Turtles. Kids shows were so sad by the time you rolled around.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 09:00 AM
In my opinion they weren't. But then again, I guess it's just that, my opinion. We're all going to think that the time we were kids was better than others. It sickens me to see the kids I babysit and what they have, and what they're missing out on, but they're enjoying it.

bballarl
05-31-2008, 09:05 AM
I want Doug to be released on DVD so bad.

gaypalmsprings
05-31-2008, 09:10 AM

Has Doug posted his bail bond yet?

bballarl
05-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Good question. This could be the problem.

kreutz2112
05-31-2008, 09:27 AM
the only episode of doug I even remember is the one where they go bowling and skeeter bowls a 7. I laughed for days.

miscorrections
05-31-2008, 09:29 AM
I hate(d) Doug. Seriously. But hey, we had Rocko's Modern Life.

SoulDischarge
05-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Check the shit kids (and their parents) have to deal with today. A fucking travesty.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Rocko's Modern Life! Hell yes. Still one of my favorite shows.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Check the shit kids (and their parents) have to deal with today. A fucking travesty.

Yeah, the 4 year old I babysit sits online and plays video games all day, or on his ps3. He cries if he can't beat a level and yells at me. I make him turn it off and tell him to go play outside, something he hardly does. It's depressing.

Young blood
05-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Maybe you should quit ridin his ass to go outside and play and help him pass the level. While your at it you should make him a sandwich and get the hell out of his face while hes playin COD4.

menikmati
05-31-2008, 09:55 AM

We had Ducktales and Turtles. Kids shows were so sad by the time you rolled around.

No way Randy....I grew up on Nicktoon shows in the early and mid 90's. Doug, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy, Ahhh Real Monsters, plus other Nick shows such as Salute Your Shorts, Pete & Pete, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Hey Dude...kids have nothing like that today. Now that is depressing. Instead they go to fucking degrassi.com or some bullshit.

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Dude, almost all that shit sucked too. You have no idea what you missed out on. Fucking Ghostbusters cartoon, Captain N--the show where the characters LIVED IN THE NINTENDO UNIVERSE. Oh my god, you all missed the cutoff of awesome.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Dude, almost all that shit sucked too. You have no idea what you missed out on. Fucking Ghostbusters cartoon, Captain N--the show where the characters LIVED IN THE NINTENDO UNIVERSE. Oh my god, you all missed the cutoff of awesome.

Dude for me those were boring. Menik nailed it, all those shows were awesome.

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Dude, you weren't alive when they were on.

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 10:08 AM
I guess that lots of things were boring before you were conceived.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 10:10 AM
It's not like they completley stop playing cartoons right away, those were still on, and I've seen various episodes of a lot of the ones mentioned by your generation.

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Captain N hasn't been played on TV at all since long before 91. Ghostbusters maybe in very, very rare repeats, but I still don't think you've ever seen it.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
I don't know the Captain one, but I know I've seen a Ghostbusters. And obviously ninja turtles, like someone else said above.

Nevertheless, I enjoy my shows.

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 10:16 AM
They haven't played the early episodes of Turtles since you were born either. Trust me, you have no idea how crazy these storylines were. My god, I have to go find them now.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Anyone remember Kablam?

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 10:22 AM
EeOCxKfIhPg&feature=user

FACE

rage patton
05-31-2008, 10:26 AM

I watched Ducktales, Ninja Turtles and Doug. Also, we had Recess.

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 10:31 AM
OH MY GOD I miss my childhood, son of a fucking bitch.

rxaVAB-PIe0&feature=related

Blinken
05-31-2008, 10:41 AM
GOLD !!!!!

rage patton
05-31-2008, 10:41 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Seriously... what happens next?

jackstraw94086
05-31-2008, 10:43 AM

fuck your ducktales.

we had Voltron and GI Joe and Transformers. Robots and guns. No ridiculous fucking talking animals.

Blinken
pOcZSmIniQc

Blinken
GI Joes was really fucking good too.`

bballarl
05-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Recess was fucking brilliant. And the movie has Robert Goulet in it.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 10:56 AM
I fucking love recess.
But then it went over to Disney, right?

rage patton
05-31-2008, 11:23 AM
pOcZSmIniQc

THANK YOU!

Did it really? I am going to have to watch it again, I don't think I have seen it since theatres.

I fucking love recess.
But then it went over to Disney, right?

I believe it was always Disney...

bballarl
05-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah, it was on One Saturday Morning.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Doug is the one that got bought over by disney then.
Correct?

rage patton
05-31-2008, 11:28 AM
I was under the impression Doug was always Disney... but you may be right about that one. I'm not sure.

bballarl
05-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah, Doug got brought over to One Saturday Morning from Nickelodeon. I actually liked that version of Doug. Where Roger Klotz was rich.

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Doug was on Nickelodeon for like five years, jesus christ, you're really young.

RotationSlimWang
05-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Ren and Stimpy is what killed cartoons. Truth. They never recovered from that.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
I thought Ren and Stimpy was hilarious.

rage patton
05-31-2008, 11:36 AM
I never watched Ren and Stimpy.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Does anyone remember Face? He's the one that introduced the shows on Nick Jr.

PineapplePete
05-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Ren and Stimpy was fucking weird...

PineapplePete
05-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Ren and Stimpy (http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=20363)

I can't find it posted on youtube...if someone else does go ahead

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Haha I don't see why there's even a question mark after sexual overtones.
It very clearly is.

Ps. Don Hertzfedlt<3

PineapplePete
05-31-2008, 11:53 AM
fyU7hnJsvas&feature

not the same video but...you can see why Ren and Stimpy gave me nightmares.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Haha. Yeah my parents wouldn't let me watch it, but I always did when they weren't in the room.

SoulDischarge
05-31-2008, 12:43 PM

I had to watch Recess for hours on end when I was in juvy for a weekend. So it's always been the official cartoon of oppression for me.

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 04:55 PM
GPS you have yet to come into my work like I instructed.
I don't think I'll be working there much longer though...soo it doesn't really matter.

menikmati
05-31-2008, 05:16 PM
I win.

http://ebombfilms.com/chomp/ducktales.jpg

PassiveTheory
05-31-2008, 05:21 PM

My friend has a pirated DVD of all the Nickelodeon episodes... SOOOO much fun.

Backwater
05-31-2008, 05:35 PM
This thread is making me so nostalgic it's sick, especially all those Ducktales tape covers. I saw every one of those. That may have possibly been the best show ever.

What do you guys think was the best episode?

I think the best was the one when they get lost in that cave with those weird creatures who play this game where they roll into balls and hit each other and they have to win the Crackpot Trouphy from them. If it wasn't the best then it was at least the most memorable episode.

betao
05-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I remember when I was little, I would watch Scooby-Doo every morning when it came on. And I remember being so fucking pissed when it ended, knowing that it only came on once a day.

gaypalmsprings
05-31-2008, 06:12 PM
GPS you have yet to come into my work like I instructed.
I don't think I'll be working there much longer though...soo it doesn't really matter.

Um, where do you work?

KatieLyn
05-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Mangotree on 74 and el paseo in PD.
We had a discussion about this once before. I invited you for free yogurt. But its fine that you don't recall haha.

Cdubby
05-31-2008, 11:16 PM
I win.

http://ebombfilms.com/chomp/ducktales.jpg

pffft ren and stimpy collection is way >>>>>> than that shit

KatieLyn
06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
pffft ren and stimpy collection is way >>>>>> than that shit

Ren and Stimpy > Ducktales

chiapet
06-02-2008, 09:08 AM
You guys think you had good cartoons? Jem beats all of these.

BROKENDOLL
06-02-2008, 09:53 AM
I remember when I was little, I would watch Scooby-Doo every morning when it came on. And I remember being so fucking pissed when it ended, knowing that it only came on once a day. Would a Scooby Snack make you feel better, Betao? http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/iceprincessissues/Scooby%20Doo/015.jpg

BROKENDOLL
06-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Mangotree on 74 and el paseo in PD.
We had a discussion about this once before. I invited you for free yogurt. But its fine that you don't recall haha. I've been there before and you need to go, GPS! Yum!

Young blood
06-02-2008, 12:10 PM
JxCInOkn6OU
2Qd_IsxgAf8
W6ueHzMwxt0
XxXH_CBrj2A
JEsHUel04dY
c6j8EiWIVZs
8gEAQQCFlNM&feature

Oh and for those super high afternoons.

WjpVQbNpGKo
delete.

KatieLyn
06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I fucking LOVED Bill Nye.

Hopeless Semantic
06-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Bill Nye the Science Guy...

Guess you are too young to know the true scientist, Mr. Wizard...

Bill owes his awesomness to that mf'er

R.I.P

Young blood
06-02-2008, 05:10 PM
mr wizard was a child molester.

amyzzz
06-02-2008, 05:11 PM
srsly?

Young blood
06-02-2008, 05:12 PM
yes.

Hopeless Semantic
06-02-2008, 05:25 PM
mr wizard was a child molester.

I didn't know that. Did he team up with Mr. Rogers or were they on the indivicual tip?

Young blood
06-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Mr Rogers was a gentleman and a scholar. Watch your mouth.

Hopeless Semantic
06-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Mr Rogers was a gentleman and a scholar. Watch your mouth.

I don't have to watch anything.

And that takes away any hint of wrongdoing? He also attended seminary school, that doesn't automatically make him a saint. Both men were noble in their causes. Both are dead. So, anything can be said about either one and it don't mean a damn thing.

algunz
06-02-2008, 05:58 PM
I think we've lost sight of the real purpose here. There's a war out there and people are dying.

btw, I hated R & S. They just creeped me out.

Hopeless Semantic
06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I think we've lost sight of the real purpose here. There's a war out there and people are dying.

Indeed. Sorry for my part in this hijacking. Btw, Mr. Wiz fought in WW2...

That is all.

KatieLyn
06-02-2008, 06:22 PM
It's quite alright that this board has taken a turn in discussion,
I posted it originally to talk about what we did at the walk-in,
but as long as people are having a good time talking about anything else then it's fine by me also =]

algunz
06-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Katie you are entirely too accommodating.

ivankay
06-02-2008, 09:00 PM
mmmmm, cereal and cartoons:

3zfBl3Hnopo&feature=related

Hopeless Semantic
06-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Seriously Ivankay, you hit the nail on the head. Nothing, and I mean nothing, used to beat waking up to a bowl of your favorite cereal and cartoons. My favorites were lucky charms and cinnamon toast crunch. However, the one cereal I enjoyed the most was the Smurfs cereal. Does anyone remember those? Man...

rage patton
06-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I love this thread.

And yes, Menik does win.

You guys think you had good cartoons? Jem beats all of these.

My girlfriend loves that show. I think there is like Le Tigre video where they use all the Jem characters in it or something.

Hopeless Semantic
06-03-2008, 11:20 AM
M.A.S.K

'nuff said.

KatieLyn
06-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Cereal and Saturday morning cartoons is what childhood is about.

I still partake in this lovely tradition. I refuse to grow up.

marooko
06-03-2008, 04:47 PM

sounds like the norm, during a war.

marooko
06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Cereal and Saturday morning cartoons is what childhood is about.

I still partake in this lovely tradition. I refuse to grow up.

arent you like 16?!

KatieLyn
06-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Close enough, 17. Which some people still find too old to enjoy cartoons, which I strongly disagree with.

canexplain
06-03-2008, 05:23 PM

ok so you had to add the btw and follow the posts, but we all do that, me a lot of the times .. but yes, people are dying everyday ... something a lot of us dont think about, we lost around 4050 or so, that brings tears to my eyes but, the iraq's have maybe a loss of 750k.... can you imagine .... i have that on my truck, imagine, i do everyday, and at times i think it is too late, nope its never too late to do the right thing and imagine a better world... x****