PDA

View Full Version : New Sigur Ros album within a month.

sonofhal
05-27-2008, 03:23 AM
Copy of press-release:

Sigur Rós will be releasing their fifth album, Međ suđ i eyrum viđ spilum endalaust (English translation: with a buzz in our ear we play endlessly), on June 24th, 2008 on XL Recordings. The first track from the album, entitled “Gobbledigook,” will be unveiled with a world exclusive first play on England’s Radio 1 tonight (May 27th) by Zane Low on the Evening Session. The track will then be available worldwide for free download via www.sigurros.com. A pre-sale for the album will begin on www.sigurros.com and iTunes on June 2nd, and the record will be available to hear via stream on sigurros.com on June 9th. A special deluxe edition of the album to be released later in the year – featuring a “Making Of…” book, a film and more – will also be available to pre-order on the band’s website as of June 2nd, in addition to a plethora of Sigur Rós goodies – exclusive clips, information on tickets for upcoming shows throughout the year, etc. – which will be available to those who sign up for the band’s mailing list on sigurros.com.

With a buzz… was co-produced with the band by renowned producer Flood, and was recorded in New York City (at Sear Sound Studios), London (at Assault and Battery Studios and Abbey Road), Reykjavik (at Alafloss, the band’s studio, as well as a church in Reykjavik), and Havana, Cuba. Whereas Sigur Rós’ last release – the critically-acclaimed documentary Heima, chronicling their free tour throughout Iceland – took the band to their homeland, their newest creation, with a buzz…, is the first album in the band’s career to be made outside of Iceland. It is also their first album to feature vocalist Jon “Jonsi” Thor Birgisson’s vocals in English on one track (the remainder are sung in Icelandic).

Inspired by the unfettered feeling of the acoustic performances filmed during Heima, Sigur Rós decided to adopt a looser approach in the writing and creation of their brilliant fifth album. The material for the album was written, recorded and mixed entirely in 2008 and is being released just one month after its completion. The album glows with the perfect imperfection of live takes, the sounds of fingers playing guitar strings, cracked notes, and a stark, upfront presence not found in previous Sigur Rós recordings, moving away from reverb-soaked guitar sounds towards something altogether more affecting. The record also contains some of the most joyous music the band has ever recorded.

Opener “Gobbledigook” sets the tone for with a buzz… with its shifting acoustic guitars, playful vocals, time signature swings and swirling percussion, while “Inni mer syngur vitleysingur” (“Within me a lunatic sings”) sparkles as one of the most anthemic songs Sigur Rós have ever written. “Festival” is epic in its elation and scope, “Illgresi” features one of Jonsi’s finest vocal melodies over a lone acoustic guitar, and “Ara batur” is the largest musical undertaking in the band’s career, as it was recorded live in one take with the London Sinfonietta and London Oratory Boy’s Choir, a total of 90 people playing at the same time. The band also utilized the talents of their string-quartet friends Amiina, as well as a five-piece brass section on certain tracks, in addition to introducing the Mellotron into their writing/recording process for the first time on this album, highlighted on one of the most tender and beautiful songs on the record, “Fljótavík.”

The spirit of with a buzz… is best captured by the album’s stunning artwork, contributed by acclaimed visual artist Ryan McGinley. McGinley first met the band when he photographed Jonsi six years ago; the album cover was taken from a flyer for McGinley’s most recent exhibit, “I Know Where the Summer Goes,” which happened to find its way into Jonsi’s inbox just as the band was deciding on how to best visually represent their new collection of songs. The result is a perfect synergy of the aural and the visual.

The tracklisting for Međ suđ i eyrum viđ spilum endalaust (with a buzz in our ear we play endlessly) is…

1. Gobbledigook
2. Inní mér syngur vitleysingur (Within me a lunatic sings)
3. Góđan daginn (Good day)
4. Viđ spilum endalaust (We play endlessly)
5. Festival
6. Suđ í eyrum (Buzz in our ears)
7. Ára bátur (Row boat)
8. Íllgresi (Weeds)
9. Fljótavík (A place in Iceland)
10. Straumnes (A mountain near Fljótavík)
11. All Alright

Sigur Rós will be playing shows all over the globe throughout the summer and fall to preview material from with a buzz in our ear we play endlessly, including a special set at this year’s Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. The tour dates are:

The June tour dates…

6/5/08 Guadalajara, MEX @ Teatro Degollado
6/7/08 Tepoztlan, MEX @ Festival La Colmena
6/8/08 Tijuana, MEX @ Multiculti
6/11/08 Omaha, NE @ Orpheum Theater
6/12/08 Kansas City, MO @ Uptown Theater
6/14/08 Manchester, TN @ Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival
6/16/08 New York, NY @ Grand Ballroom
6/20/08 Neuhausen ob Eck @ Southside Festival
6/22/08 Scheesel, Bremen @ Hurricane Festival

More US dates to be announced soon.

Sigur Rós is: Jon Thor Birgisson (vocals, guitar), Georg Holm (bass), Kjartan Sveinsson (keyboards/piano), Orri Páll Dýrason (drums).

http://www.sigurros.com

http://www.myspace.com/sigurros

sonofhal
05-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Judging by the cover, it may be a load of arse.

http://drownedinsound.com/images/37797.jpeg

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-27-2008, 05:04 AM
best news of the day!! Good Morning to Me!

sbessiso
05-27-2008, 05:05 AM
i didnt realize how rare sigur ros' shows are this year, I'm quite looking forward to seeing them at Roo, I seriously need to do my research

JSam67
05-27-2008, 05:21 AM
This is great news. I can't wait to see them in just over 2 weeks! Salah, you really need to bone up (that can't be too hard for you, right?) on them, pre-Roo.

sbessiso
05-27-2008, 05:22 AM
i admit, I do have an ulterior(sp?) motive while in the sigur ros crowd

and i'm trying! i'm trying!

wmgaretjax
05-27-2008, 10:51 AM
No one listened to the single yet?

Very different.

betao
05-27-2008, 11:05 AM
im listening to it now. it is indeed very different

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
damnit..I am at work and can't listen to it yet...how does it sound?

Barbara, the ninja
05-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I like it! The music video for it is a perfect fit for the mood of the song, too.

betao
05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
its ok. I'd give it a 6, maybe 7 out of 10. It will probably grow on me though. I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.

TCHY, it's acoustic guitar and drum driven. Jonsi singing in usual falsetto.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I want to hear that track with the 70 piece orchestral and 20 member children's choir...

samiksha
05-27-2008, 11:30 AM
what the heck, i haven't even listened to the last one yet. i'm so behind.

humanoid
05-27-2008, 11:36 AM
/\ by last one, do you mean studio album? from 2005?

sbessiso
05-27-2008, 11:38 AM
isnt there a more recent one thats some sort of soundtrack?

humanoid
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
isnt there a more recent one thats some sort of soundtrack?

yeah, the last release was 5 unreleased tracks and 6 live/acoustic tracks..I was just curious if they meant that or the last actual album

samiksha
05-27-2008, 11:49 AM
hvarf heim came out last year and had some live and unreleased tracks. that's what i was talkin about.

samiksha
05-27-2008, 11:49 AM
yeah.

humanoid
05-27-2008, 11:50 AM
and the Screaming Masterpiece soundtrack, but that was various Icelandic artists

humanoid
05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
hvarf heim came out last year and had some live and unreleased tracks. that's what i was talkin about.

its funny, I bought that and a friend borrowed it the next day, and he hasn't returned it...thanks for reminding me!

leo01g
05-27-2008, 12:37 PM
where are the videos at? Do i need to download quicktime?

Boourns
05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Is anyone else unable to download the mp3? Both right and left clicking the "Download the Gobbledigook mp3" link just lead to absolute blankness.

betao
05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
it worked for me.

Boourns
05-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Tried on three different computers on 3 different browsers. It always leads to a blank page.

Boourns
05-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Now it's working. But not on Firefox.

iv3rdawG
05-27-2008, 01:39 PM
It's so different. I like it though.

C DUB YA
05-27-2008, 02:18 PM
single is alright.

Different but interesting, not very Sigur Ros of Taak thats fo sho.

I find it weird they are so attached to Ryan's photos though? So Abercrombie, so Vampire Weekend really. The nature side of them make it fit I guess.

hawkingvsreeve
05-27-2008, 02:45 PM
I wasn't expecting what I am hearing, at all, but I am very drawn to it.

I like the chorus sections a lot, with the bar of 4 and bar of 5. Musically it reminds me of Peter Gabriel, as far as melody and chord progressions are concerned.

Very cool.

hawkingvsreeve
05-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok yeah, after listening like 10 times in a row I really want the rest of the record. This song is rad.

PassiveTheory
05-27-2008, 03:33 PM
More sleeping music, awesome.

That isn't an insult, btw.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-27-2008, 03:43 PM
holy shit....this is very good...sigur ros have evoled past their old formula....

idrive1life
05-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Wow, its going to happen. Playful/possibly acid-tripping Sigur Ros = Animal Collective's brilliant Sung Tongs

This album will be as amazing as Sung Tongs. Thats fo sho!

where are the videos at? Do i need to download quicktime?

http://www.sigurros.com/dvd3.asp

It worked to me by clicking "PLAY VIDEO - QUICKTIME - LOW".

Very timely. I wonder if that Gobbledigook video is for the Bonnaroo nation. heh heh

iv3rdawG
05-27-2008, 06:41 PM
The video works really well with the song. But I don't think they'll ever top "Glósóli".

humanoid
05-27-2008, 06:42 PM
good to hear them evolving a bit. Not that there old style wasn't great, but I couldn't see them making it work for much longer without branching out a bit...very cool

whynotsmile99
05-27-2008, 07:11 PM
good stuff! i really love the new song and the video is perfect. i want to run nude in the woods now.

sorta

bballarl
05-27-2008, 08:02 PM
The video works really well with the song. But I don't think they'll ever top "Glósóli".

"Glosoli" is one of the only pieces of music that makes me want to cry every time I hear it. That song is fucking gorgeous. And live...oh goodness.

moviebruin
05-27-2008, 08:52 PM
If i didn't already want to make it down for that Tijuana concert I really want to now. Does anyone know if/where you can get tickets still?

iv3rdawG
05-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Samples from the new CD are up on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Med-Sud-Eyrum-Spilum-Endalaust/dp/B001ACY8D2/ref

leo01g
05-31-2008, 02:16 PM
If i didn't already want to make it down for that Tijuana concert I really want to now. Does anyone know if/where you can get tickets still?

check the other sigur ros thread on the second page it has the website. I just bought my tickets right now.

wmgaretjax
05-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Those samples do not sound good....

schoolofruckus
05-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Sigur Ros is not a band that works in :30 song snippets. I'm not even going to bother with those Amazon.com samples.

However, I guess I'm in the minority in not being too fond of the new song. It's not bad in and of itself; but if it's some harbinger of a conscious attempt to not be Sigur Ros anymore, then that's going to prove extremely troublesome.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-31-2008, 04:56 PM
big whoop...maybe the new album is their "Kid A". A Radical departure that turns out to be fantastic after some time spent with the album...

JSam67
05-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing, TCHY. I think the new single is great, the new CD is definitely branching out to some uncharted waters, it'll be interesting and I think fantastic over many listens, but that's just a guess.

clumsy342
06-01-2008, 01:03 AM
It is very Animal Collective-y.

Crazy.

And the video is brilliant. It's really difficult to not sexualize nudity.

idrive1life
06-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Sigur Ros is not a band that works in :30 song snippets. I'm not even going to bother with those Amazon.com samples.

Agreed.

I'm with Brandon. The more I listen to Gobbledigook, the more am loving it.

wmgaretjax
06-01-2008, 07:44 PM
And the video is brilliant. It's really difficult to not sexualize nudity.

You deserve to be shot in the face for being stupid.

iv3rdawG
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
"Festival" performed:

http://yousai.co.uk/festival.mp3

schoolofruckus
06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
YES.

This is extremely encouraging. Now the extreme direction-change of "Gobbledigook" is a whim I don't mind indulging, rather than a reason for me to be terrified of the album itself.

Ordered it online today.

suprefan
06-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Which verson did you get. Anyone think the $100 deluxe really really isnt worth it?

schoolofruckus
06-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Yes. So I got the digital plus physical.

luckyface
06-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Which verson did you get. Anyone think the $100 deluxe really really isnt worth it?

Yeah, that thing is a super giant ripoff. I will be fine with the CD and/or LP.

wmgaretjax
06-03-2008, 07:19 PM
The deluxe edition doesn't really appeal to me, especially at that price without an LP. I'll wait for the vinyl release (according to the merch guy it should be out shortly after the CD release). Their vinyl releases are normally great. I have everything from AB on.

iv3rdawG
06-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Album looks like it will be streaming on the band's website on Monday.

suprefan
06-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Leak coming soon then...

Boourns
06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Whole album streaming:
http://widget.nabbr.com/sigur_ros.html

suprefan
06-07-2008, 10:39 PM
yay