PDA

View Full Version : It's Raining Academy Award-Winning Directors

roberto73
05-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Director Sydney Pollack Dies of Cancer

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Academy Award-winning director Sydney Pollack has died. He was 73.

Sydney Pollack's notable films include "Out of Africa," "Tootsie" and "The Way We Were."

Pollack's agent, Leslee Dart, said Pollack died of cancer Monday afternoon at his home in Pacific Palisades.

Dart said Pollack was surrounded by his family.

Pollack's biggest success was the 1985 film "Out of Africa" starring Robert Redford and Meryl Streep, which won Oscars for Best Director and Best Picture.

Pollack's other notable films include the comedy "Tootsie" starring Dustin Hoffman and the romantic film "The Way We Were," which paired Redford and Barbra Streisand.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/26/pollack.obit.ap/index.html

BobCaygeon
05-26-2008, 05:50 PM
YOU WERE A TOMATO. A tomato doesn't have logic. A tomato can't move.

Yablonowitz
05-26-2008, 06:04 PM
His acting ability, most memorably for me in Eyes Wide Shut, The Sopranos and Michael Clayton were almost impressive as his directing and producing skills. This is really sad news.

roberto73
05-26-2008, 06:08 PM
His acting ability, most memorably for me in Eyes Wide Shut, The Sopranos and Michael Clayton were almost impressive as his directing and producing skills. This is really sad news.

I completely agree. His performance in Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives is time capsule-worthy.

Yablonowitz
05-26-2008, 06:15 PM
I completely agree. His performance in Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives is time capsule-worthy.

Holy shit, yes. I'd forgotten about that. An incredibly inspired performance in probably the last truly great Woody Allen movie.

wmgaretjax
05-26-2008, 06:39 PM
I definitely preferred his acting to his directing. Eyes Wide Shut and Husbands and Wives especially!

full on idle
05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
He was Will's dad on Will and Grace. I liked that guy.

whynotsmile99
05-26-2008, 08:18 PM
RIP. Loved both this directoral and acting works, especially Eyes Wide Shut

Hopeless Semantic
05-26-2008, 08:21 PM
R.I.P. Eyes Wide Shut sparked an epic conversation I had with my ex years ago that I remember being one of those life altering moments. Well, at least for the next few hours. Godspeed, Sydney.

schoolofruckus
05-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Acting: "Eyes Wide Shut" and "Changing Lanes" were fantastic.

Directing: "Out of Africa" and "Random Hearts" were....

R.I.P.

Hopeless Semantic
05-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Which one was Out of Africa? I don't remember seeing that one, but then again I might've. If it was underwhelming, then I understand why I have forgotten it.

gaypalmsprings
05-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Out of Africa was a beautiful, epic film. R.I.P.

thelastgreatman
05-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Would everyone please stop acting like there's anything good about Eyes Wide Shut? Thanks.

gaypalmsprings
05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Would everyone please stop acting like there's anything good about Eyes Wide Shut? Thanks.

From Rotten Tomatoes:

Misunderstood as a psychosexual thriller, Stanley Kubrick's final film is actually more of an acidic comedy about how Tom Cruise fails to get laid.

Alchemy
05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
On the main page it has the title as "It's Raining Academy..."

For a split second I thought I read, "It's Raining Alchemy..." and thought that I was viewing the message board as a ghost.

wmgaretjax
05-26-2008, 11:45 PM

2nd best Kubrick film...

Pixiessp
05-27-2008, 12:30 AM
How sad. he was a good director and enjoyable to watch on screen.

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 12:54 AM
2nd best Kubrick film...

My grandmother's scrotum has better taste in film than you. Fucking blasphemy. Even Kubrick hated that piece of shit, and how the hell could he not? How can you pick the only movie the man has where the lead actors aren't brilliant and call that no. 2?

sbessiso
05-27-2008, 03:09 AM
He was Will's dad on Will and Grace. I liked that guy.

I cannot fucking believe you beat me to it.

stuporfly
05-27-2008, 03:26 AM
None of his films were ever my favorites, but I liked many of them all the same. Husbands and Wives stands out for me among his acting efforts, and Three Days of the Condor is maybe my favorite film he directed.

He seemed to play a lot of creeps on screen, and yet there was always something comforting about seeing him up there regardless of the role.

Safe journey, Sydney.

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Upon reviewing his IMDB credits, the best thing he was ever involved in was acting in The Player. I don't even really remember his part.

sbessiso
05-27-2008, 05:15 AM
don't forget him playing Will's dad on "Will&Grace"!

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 05:58 AM
As if sitcoms weren't faggy enough already... they made Will & Grace.

sbessiso
05-27-2008, 06:01 AM
and the world (at least mine) has never been the same since...

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Sigh... I wish laugh tracks were a crime punishable by death.

sbessiso
05-27-2008, 06:13 AM
I do have to agree with you there R, but it's possible to tune it out

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 06:31 AM
Is it possible to tune out that shrill Fran Drescher derivative yenta bitch too?

sbessiso
05-27-2008, 06:38 AM
I cant believe you just mentioned THE NANNY!

believe it or not, and this may come as a shocker to you Randy, but I fucking love that show too

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Will you ever shut the fuck up, or just keep pushing until I fly to Florida just to gaybash your tastes?

sbessiso
05-27-2008, 06:44 AM
I know the perfect bar to take you to!

algunz
05-27-2008, 07:11 AM
When my friends and I drove cross country, we stopped in Memphis and they were filming The Firm. We met Sydney and he was the nicest guy in the world. Being film students, he totally walked us around the set and introduced us to Holly Hunter and Tom Cruise's stunt man etc. He was a great guy. This makes me sad.

Oh and Eyes Wide Shut SUCKED!!!

whynotsmile99
05-27-2008, 07:21 AM
it's incredible to me how vastly underrated EWS is.

it's floors me and only gets more and more haunting with each viewing. I didn't like it first time I saw it, liked it on my second view and loved it on the third. Easily top 3 of favorite Kubrick movies after The Shining and 2001 (or Clockwork).

kidman was phenominal.

algunz
05-27-2008, 07:26 AM
For me the movie was tedious and rather unsexy. Unfortunately the main reason behind this was probably Tom Cruise. I just have such a hard time watching him. But, I guess maybe I need to watch it again.

iv3rdawG
05-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Last time I saw him was in Michael Clayton and he was great in it. RIP

Hopeless Semantic
05-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Personally, it wasn't one of my favorite movies but instead something to had watch at the time. If only to suffer through the b.s. Tom Cruise can put you through. I don't know if anyone deserves such a wicked punishment.

Blinken
05-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Eyes Wide Shut is a piece of shit. I have watched it a few times, fucking school and everytime it gets worse. The acting if horrible, everything is horrible.

Stanley Kubrick thought his last movie Eyes Wide Shut was a "piece of s**t" that was ruined by interference from its stars Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, according to actor R. Lee Ermey. Ermey starred in Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket and remained in contact with the legendary film-maker up until his death in 1999.

When the pair spoke shortly after Kubrick had completed work on Eyes Wide Shut, Ermey recalls the legendary director expressing his disappointment with the movie. He says, "Stanley called me about two weeks before he died, as a matter of fact. We had a long conversation about Eyes Wide Shut. He told me it was a piece of s**t and that he was disgusted with it and that the critics were going to have him for lunch. He said Cruise and Kidman had their way with him - exactly the words he used. He was kind of a shy little timid guy. He wasn't real forceful. That's why he didn't appreciate working with big, high-powered actors. They would have their way with him, he would lose control, and his movie would turn to s**t."

I had to listen to one of my teachers ramble on and on about this film for two weeks, i just wanted him to die. Plus the same teacher spent 20 minutes one day talking about how Gladiator was a metaphor for the Clinton presidency, fucking hippie. Oh and according to him American History X is a very racist film and it is glorifing neo-nazis, because Ed Norton is in such good shape.

algunz
05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Sadly, Sydney's last movie will be Made of Honor.

fatbastard
05-27-2008, 11:54 AM
http://sablier.hautetfort.com/images/medium_eyes_wide_shut.2.jpg

http://fashiontribes.typepad.com/main/images/will_and_grace.jpg

wmgaretjax
05-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Eyes Wide Shut will be looked back upon as a masterpiece. One of the most underrated films of all time.

And it's typical for geniuses to hate a lot of their work, Kubrick hated The Shining as well, doesn't mean it's a bad film. I could spit out a list a couple feet long of amazing film-makers who scoff at their greatest works. It's hard when you toil and struggle through something to look at it objectively.

The struggle between the actors and director is what made the film so fantastically awkward and unhinged. Fuck Ermey, I've been over this before. Kubrick WAS a forceful person, ask anyone else who ever worked with him, he was a fucking nightmare of a person on set. Ermey was a crack that loved egging on the mystique around Kubrick, nothing he has said about that conversation has been corroborated by anyone else.

full on idle
05-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Please tell me what happened in Eyes Wide Shut. Yes, I watched it.

Blinken
05-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Tom Cruise's wife FANASIZED about fucking another dude and he got all butthurt about it. Then tried to get layed and failed. The End.

summerkid
05-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Kubrick originally was going to cast Woody Allen in Pollack's role and Steve Martin in Cruise's.

downingthief
05-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Eyes Wide Shut is a piece of shit. I have watched it a few times, fucking school and everytime it gets worse. The acting if horrible, everything is horrible.

Funny that he GAVE them that control during the most important scene of the movie (the dream affair scene). Kubrick left the set, and watched the scene from a monitor.

Plus, every account on Kubrick was that he was never completely satisfied with any of his movies. No true artist ever is.

I loved Eyes. One of my fave Kubrick films.

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Eyes Wide Shut will be looked back upon as a masterpiece. One of the most underrated films of all time.

And it's typical for geniuses to hate a lot of their work, Kubrick hated The Shining as well, doesn't mean it's a bad film. I could spit out a list a couple feet long of amazing film-makers who scoff at their greatest works. It's hard when you toil and struggle through something to look at it objectively.

The struggle between the actors and director is what made the film so fantastically awkward and unhinged. Fuck Ermey, I've been over this before. Kubrick WAS a forceful person, ask anyone else who ever worked with him, he was a fucking nightmare of a person on set. Ermey was a crack that loved egging on the mystique around Kubrick, nothing he has said about that conversation has been corroborated by anyone else.

YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND. Completely, totally, out of your fucking mind. The two lead actors of the fucking picture are absolutely terrible, and not just in general, in that. They're both completely infuriating to watch and come off harder to believe than any other protagonists in any Kubrick film ever. The fact that you can somehow argue that the struggle between Kubrick and those two hacks in some way contributed to the imaginary redemptive qualities that you claim to see in Eyes--I don't actually believe you believe this shit--is further evidence of how you'll take any piece of amateur high school fuckaround flaw in a picture you pretend to like and contrive some far-fetched theory for how it's actually to the film's benefit.

chairmenmeow47
05-27-2008, 01:58 PM

no offense to anyone who likes this movie, but i always feel it's one of those movies people mention to be "different". i can't believe i saw this in the theatres and i would give anything for those 2 and a half hours back.

but i have also LOATHED tom cruise as long as he's been around. i'm so glad everyone's finally realizing what a massive, boring douchebag of an actor he is.

give me dr. strangelove, full metal jacket or lolita ANY DAY.

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Seriously. Jared, please explain how in the wide wide world of motherfucking sports you can conceivably rate this deathbed piece of shit above Strangelove, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, Paths of Glory, Lolita (not really that big of a fan but it's still miles better than Eyes), 2001, shit even The Killers. Shit, even fucking A.I. which was offensively bad bastardizing of Kubrick was better than Eyes.

downingthief
05-27-2008, 02:05 PM
I get why some people don't like Eyes. Definitely not a movie for everyone, even fellow Kubrick fans. I love the subtleness of it, and some of the shots are among my favorites from Kubrick. The "fall" of Cruise's character is simply brilliant, in my opinion.

SFChrissy
05-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Out of Africa was a beautiful, epic film. R.I.P.

This is one of my absolute favorite movies!!! I pull it out at least once every couple of months!!!

The other day I was contemplating renting the way we were and didn't realized he did that movie also until I read the news of his death this morning...

That's next on the list...

wmgaretjax
05-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Randy, we've already had this argument... Why do it again.

I will say that I think the awkwardness of Cruise and Kidman (and I actually think Kidman does a fucking amazing job at taking Kubrick's direction, I waver back and forth between Cruise's performance) is perfect in detailing people that have no clue who the fuck they are, but cling to this vapid sense of identity that their relationships (with each other, with others, with hypothetical others) seems to give them. You are right though, they are protagonists unlike any others that Kubrick designed, and I think it's because they were designed to NOT be compelling in the manner that is typical of Kubrick.

I don't want to argue about this movie with you again Randy, as much as I love you we'll both end up just repeating ourselves. Plus it doesn't matter, history will prove me right ;)

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah? Tell me something, Jared, at what point in the ten years that has passed since the movie was released to tepid-to-bad reviews and immediately ignored, forgotten, and excluded from any true film enthusiast's concept of what Kubrick's filmography actually is do you expect the sudden whirlwhind change of perspective to occur? How many movies can you think of that went completely unlauded and overlooked for their first decade of existence only to undergo a snap reversal of the entire public's opinion? Hmm?

I think great directors should follow Kubrick's lead and intentionally cast more really, really shitty fucking actors in their movies. It will totally make the movies awesome! Look at all the examples of absolutely incompetant acting working to a movie's advantage!

Wait, I'm sorry, nevermind. That's absolutely preposterous, only a total ass would propose such a theory. =)

Mr.Nipples
05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
his performance in Canadian Bacon was inspired

thelastgreatman
05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Alan Alda, no?

Mr.Nipples
05-27-2008, 11:28 PM
yes, and john candy.

SoulDischarge
05-28-2008, 03:05 AM
I forgot he directed 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?' 60's Jane Fonda makes me question my sexuality.

thelastgreatman
05-28-2008, 05:09 AM
70s Susan Sarandon makes me want to believe in time travel. I'd go without sex til the day I die if I could fluff up those Rocky Horror titties and put my head down on them every night.

amyzzz
05-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Holy fuck, I didn't hear about this one. My mom actually went to high school with him--he was the lead in all the plays throughout high school, she told me. I loved Tootsie.