PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else sick of spending all their money on concerts?

Sexecutioner
05-23-2008, 08:54 AM
dont get me wrong, i do it for a reason, cuz i love it. seeing live shows is one of my favorite things to do, but i feel like its really stopping me from saving any kind of money. mostly, because id really like to do some traveling. i keep telling myself im going to cut back and only go see my favorite bands, but then these cool shows keep coming around and i just cant help myself. i feel like a fuckin junkie who cant kick his habit. i tell myself if i just stop going to shows for a while, i can save up for a trip to europe, or thailand, or australia, or brazil, or fuckin wherever, but it never happens. damnit! anybody else feel this way?

Young blood
05-23-2008, 08:58 AM
no.

betao
05-23-2008, 09:00 AM
I guess thats one good thing about the east coast. Not having a ton of good shows all the time means that you save money.

BlackSwan
05-23-2008, 09:00 AM
self control...

rage patton
05-23-2008, 09:05 AM
I feel exactly the same way. Seriously... I am already skipping a bunch of shows this summer for work/saving money, and I am majorly bummed about it. I couldn't imagine cutting back more then I already am right now.
But at the same time, I realize I am spending a rediculous amount of money on concerts/festivals. Like, I have Sasquatch this weekend, which I am really excited about. I am also going to Pemberton in July... but I'm not really that excited about Pemberton. NIN is basically the only reason I am going. But I know if I skip the festival, I will be bummed about it, so I can't bring myself to selling my tickets. I am also considering going to Bumbershoot.
Argh!

PassiveTheory
05-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I have no more money to spend on concerts, so... yeah...

Sexecutioner
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
self control...

what is this "self control" you speak of?

i think the only time i had anything close to that was when i sold my vegoose tickets last year.

JebusLives
05-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Dude i am so so broke. This summer has trips to Coachella and Pemberton, plus a trip to Vancouver for Radiohead and a trip to San Fran now for MBV. Argh living in Calgary is expensive, when I have to travel for decent concerts!

Tylerdurden31
05-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I guess thats one good thing about the east coast. Not having a ton of good shows all the time means that you save money.

what part of the east coast do you live on? In all seriousness. I have no problems in NY.

tessalasset
05-23-2008, 09:27 AM
And I think one of the reasons it's so hard in this case is because you're missing out way more than if you decided to cut back on eating out or buying video games or whatever. Cause each show is an individual experience that you will never be able to have again. You can always go out for more pizza later on, and Best Buy (for the time being) is always going to be open for whenever you decide to buy GTA4. But once you miss Decemberists at the Hollywood Bowl on July 7, 2007, you're never getting that back, ever. It's much more final.

Sexecutioner
05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
But once you miss Decemberists at the Hollywood Bowl on July 7, 2007, you're never getting that back, ever. It's much more final.

haha, yep...good thing i ponied up for that one then. that shit was epic, and worth every dime.

whynotsmile99
05-23-2008, 09:34 AM
i know what you mean. i always go a litlte wild on my concert spending whenever I have some cash...butI"m curbing it though. unles tom waits comes to Socal. Besides Radiohead/Nick Cave/Racounters I think i'm done with shows this summer. Maybe a little club show here and there but no more $80 seats.

saving some up for traveling is a good idea. The cost of a pair of Radiohead tickets will get you living and eating well in many countries for around a week. hit up Thailand and do all the countries around. Super cheap and couldn't be more fun!

BlackSwan
05-23-2008, 09:36 AM
what part of the east coast do you live on? In all seriousness. I have no problems in NY.

seriously, people in NY are lucky. you guys have three easy chances to see Radiohead, and you could have flown down to Florida for $90 to catch the first two shows. i had to plan three separate trips this year to see Radiohead more than once and i live in SF, that shouldn't be necessary.

Barbara, the ninja
05-23-2008, 09:40 AM
My parents pay for my rent and food, so all the money I make from my work goes to concerts. Suckas :P

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-23-2008, 10:10 AM
I think of it as a investment in my sanity from the "Real" world....

SFChrissy
05-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Love going to shows...love the hype from the ticket purchase, hate the impact on wallet/bank account...and seriously sick of the service charge!!!

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Love going to shows...love the hype from the ticket purchase, hate the impact on wallet/bank account...and seriously sick of the service charge!!!

Actually this is more accurate. Don't mind spending money on tickets...HATE the fees...

JustSteve
05-23-2008, 10:19 AM
it's nice to have worked in the biz and to still have friends in certain places...also great that a certain promoter tends to handle most of the shows i want to attend. not naming names, though ;)

amyzzz
05-23-2008, 10:42 AM
My parents pay for my rent and food, so all the money I make from my work goes to concerts. Suckas :P
Been there, done that. That's how I got to see so many early 90's shoegazer bands and a lot of NIN.

TeamCoachellaHellYeah
05-23-2008, 10:43 AM

I was never this cool :(

samiksha
05-23-2008, 10:44 AM
if you dont find out about the shows, you can't be disappointed that you're missing them. eh eh?

SFChrissy
05-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Actually this is more accurate. Don't mind spending money on tickets...HATE the fees...

You, me and everyone else I'm sure!!! I mentioned this somewhere else...ticketbastard should increase the itune credits to 5-10 instead of 1-2...I like the credit and am accumulating them but why are they so fucking honnie with that shit???

Pixiessp
05-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Been there, done that. That's how I got to see so many early 90's shoegazer bands and a lot of NIN.

ahhhhhh.......shoegaze. what a magical time that was.

TommyboyUNM
05-23-2008, 10:51 AM
I love to travel as well. That's why I travel TO see music. I'm going to Bonnaroo in 3 weeks. In August I'm traveling to San Diego to see Radiohead. I'm sure something else will pop up. I figure I might as well spend my money on that stuff right now because I don't have a wife or kids or anything like that.

betao
05-23-2008, 11:04 AM

I live in Richmond, VA. We have a few music venues in Richmond, but most the acts that play are just crappy rock bands. It's getting a bit better though. I listen to alot of EDM, so once in a while I can make it to DC for a show or too. But when names like The Chemical Brothers or Daft Punk tour, the closest they come for me is NYC. I made it to Brooklyn last september to see The Cehms, and thats the furthest i've ever traveled to see one artist.

BlackSwan
05-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I live in Richmond, VA. We have a few music venues in Richmond, but most the acts that play are just crappy rock bands. It's getting a bit better though. I listen to alot of EDM, so once in a while I can make it to DC for a show or too. But when names like The Chemical Brothers or Daft Punk tour, the closest they come for me is NYC. I made it to Brooklyn last september to see The Cehms, and thats the furthest i've ever traveled to see one artist.

don't miss Soulwax! they'll be at Virgin.

betao
05-23-2008, 11:18 AM
oh Virgin Festival is my real vacation of the summer. I am so freakin stoked for the dance tent over there. Underworld, RITM, Soulwax, Pendulum, and Moby DJ set? God I can't wait.

humanoid
05-23-2008, 11:22 AM

just curious, how far is Richmond from NYC?

stinkbutt
05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
342 mi – about 5 hours 50 mins

google is your friend

slurpee
05-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Get a better paying job, hippys.

betao
05-23-2008, 11:37 AM
just curious, how far is Richmond from NYC?

342 mi about 5 hours 50 mins

google is your friend

thats 6 hours not including traffic. Traffic in Northern VA around DC is a bloody nightmare.

Boourns
05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
I only go to 1/4th of the shows I want to attend and still spend all my money on concerts. I wish I had more money so I could go to more, or better yet, get some hookers.

Boourns
05-23-2008, 11:56 AM
thats 6 hours not including traffic. Traffic in Northern VA around DC is a bloody nightmare.

Yep, yep. The clusterfuck for Radiohead is a daily occurrence.

amyzzz
05-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I only go to 1/4th of the shows I want to attend and still spend all my money on concerts. I wish I had more money so I could go to more, or better yet, get some hookers.
QFT. Also, you not only need more money for shows, you need more time off. You basically need to have a trust fund or be independently wealthy. Or be sponging off your parents of course.

suprefan
05-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, sometimes I travel to see bands, so it works out. I have been to Houston and Dallas already this year. Chicago and Indianapolis is next. So it works out. New york is a big one when it comes to the u.s.

ThomThom
05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, sometimes I travel to see bands, so it works out. I have been to Houston and Dallas already this year. Chicago and Indianapolis is next. So it works out. New york is a big one when it comes to the u.s.

Chris, how does it "work out"? Your idea of traveling consists of going to random cities within the U.S. and sitting in line all day outside of the venue, what on earth do you get to see or experience outside of the actual concert your attending?

Sushov23
05-23-2008, 01:08 PM
seriously what a waste if you aren't driving around, and looking at the city.

suprefan
05-23-2008, 01:12 PM
seriously what a waste if you aren't driving around, and looking at the city.

Oh shut it you havent even been out of this state.

BlackSwan
05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
yea, when i was in houston i got a couples massage after i get off the plane, went to a couple really good restaurants, a pretty cool aquarium, nasa and thoroughly got my freak on. also saw Radiohead and it was fucking awesome.

Astrid
05-23-2008, 01:40 PM
having no money really does curb your concert lustiness. i know if i feel motivated to prostitute myself for the cash than i better fucking go to that show.

seriously though, if you are broke as fuck it really puts a perspective on what shows you HAVE to go to, and what you can miss.

Sushov23
05-23-2008, 01:41 PM
You don't know where I've been Supre.

jigsaw
05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
MONEY IS MENT TO BE SPENT

YOU JUST NEED TO MAKE MORE

zenidogx
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
something in that big a font should be spelled write.

zenidogx
05-23-2008, 01:55 PM
i have no money to spend on shows. but its a good thing small bands are cheap. the gas costs more than some shows for me. also, look into free tix. 1iota and myspace. be friends with promoters and venues. i gots free tix for some random act in LA tomorrow and free tix for the ting tings and coldplay when they do kimmel.

Sexecutioner
05-23-2008, 02:06 PM
saving some up for traveling is a good idea. The cost of a pair of Radiohead tickets will get you living and eating well in many countries for around a week. hit up Thailand and do all the countries around. Super cheap and couldn't be more fun!

see, thats what im talking about. thailand, or radiohead? i'm seeing radiohead 4 times, and ive actually been thinkin about selling my hb night 2 tix, but i just cant bring myself to do it since i know if i do, that will be the most epic stop on the tour, and i would kick the shit outta myself after.

yea, when i was in houston i got a couples massage after i get off the plane, went to a couple really good restaurants, a pretty cool aquarium, nasa and thoroughly got my freak on. also saw Radiohead and it was fucking awesome.

now that sounds like a great trip! (except that its houston)

I love to travel as well. That's why I travel TO see music. I'm going to Bonnaroo in 3 weeks. In August I'm traveling to San Diego to see Radiohead. I'm sure something else will pop up. I figure I might as well spend my money on that stuff right now because I don't have a wife or kids or anything like that.

tennessee is not really the type of destination im talking about. now traveling to spain to see radiohead or some shit, now THAT would be a great concert trip.

MONEY IS MENT TO BE SPENT

YOU JUST NEED TO MAKE MORE

trust me, i make a decent amount, and im spending it. im just saying i wish i could spend it on other things sometimes, but then it always goes to shows.

Mr. Dylanja
05-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Oh shut it you havent even been out of this state.

Yeah Supre, how was your vacation, TRIP WISE?

ThomThom
05-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah Supre, how was your vacation, TRIP WISE?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Oh and Dylanja, thanks for calling me a fungi.

canexplain
05-23-2008, 02:38 PM

i take it if you are going to be a spelling nazi, you spelled "write" like that on purpose ... anyway, i spend 1,000's each year on shows and still never see a lot of the shows i want to ... also, i agree on the travel part, sometimes you can combine a fest and a vacation to see a city .... plus, for people that are married, or have a gf like me, it always cost 2x what it does for single peeps ... x****

amyzzz
05-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Or if you want to bring your 2 kids, it costs 4x as much. I've brought my kids to 2 shows.

BlackSwan
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
for people that are married, or have a gf like me, it always cost 2x what it does for single peeps ... x****

true story. you also have to take into consideration what they want to do too. if i was a selfish asshole i would have been in dallas on sunday for sure.

jigsaw
05-23-2008, 03:49 PM

i take it if you are going to be a spelling nazi, you spelled "write" like that on purpose

http://home.comcast.net/~alexflagg/scoming39nz.gif

anti-square
05-23-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm not sick of spending. I'm sick of not having enough spend. A job or additional jobs means you have a higher chance of not getting days off to travel to shows. You city folk have it alot better than others.

scoop49er
05-23-2008, 04:54 PM
basically my concert season is from end of april til end of sept. then we hibernate till the next year... always try to go to festivals so i get my moneys' worth. ive already been to hundreds of concerts and seen thousands of bands so we narrow it down to a few festivals and just enjoy the vibe.

music concerts are always a great time. good vibe, drinking a cold one in the sumertime,... very cool...

JustSteve
05-23-2008, 09:54 PM
all this being said, what bands will everyone always spend the money on, no matter if you can afford it or not?

i will always pay money to see jack white play, whether it be as the white stripes or with the raconteurs, or any other incarnation he creates.

Sexecutioner
05-25-2008, 01:19 PM
all this being said, what bands will everyone always spend the money on, no matter if you can afford it or not?

i will always pay money to see jack white play, whether it be as the white stripes or with the raconteurs, or any other incarnation he creates.

ill always pony up for radiohead, pearl jam, tool, jack white, arcade fire, nofx, probably a few others im forgetting.

i think my plan is to start being more picky about shows. and every time there is a show i want to go to, but dont go, im going to take the price of that ticket i would have payed, and put it into savings. we'll see if this actually happens, im doubting my willpower already.

sbessiso
05-25-2008, 01:23 PM
i agree totally with this thread, 80/35 in Iowa is ony $50 but getting there is gunna cost me (literally) an arm and a leg

gmoneyak
05-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I think of it as a investment in my sanity from the "Real" world....

It's cheaper than therapy for me.

HunterGather
05-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Traveling to see shows and festivals is kind of like a doep hobby, but its very costly.

I have nothing on my calendar coming up except Lollapalooza and MAYBE Monolith, but thats about it (aside from some local stuff I may go to, but that's not really a big thing).

I don't really spend alot on concerts. There are only certain acts I would travel out of state for.

hangthedj112
05-25-2008, 02:34 PM
I could probably go to loads more gigs if it weren't for ticketmaster service charges.

PJandBompton
05-25-2008, 05:14 PM
It helps when you put just a few artists on your MUST SEE list then leave everybody else to if you have money or not...

For example i've got Pearl Jam, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco on my MUST SEE list

humanoid
05-25-2008, 05:56 PM
I'd rather spend all my money on shows, than on gas like I currently am

MissingPerson
05-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Aw, it's easy, this problem. You just promise yourself only to buy tickets for bands you really, really love, like Radiohead. Or bands that put on an especially special show, like Arcade Fire. Or bands that you've always wanted to see, but haven't yet, like the Smashing Pumpkins. Or bands that your friend really, really likes, because it's their birthday. And bands that are quite good, but really cheap.... or bands...

And so on. Yes, I'm always broke and hungry. On the upside, I'm sober and losing weight. I remember at one stage, I couldn't afford brand-name dehydrated noodles. I was living off discount noodles for about a month. It's not easy to get scurvy in the 21st century, in a first world country, on dry land, but I gave it a good try.

It does piss me off that I never seem to have money for a car, or an Xbox, or a new laptop or whatever - something tangible - but fuck it, you can't put a price on a really special show. I'll live long enough to be old and sensible later on. I missed out on a (now legendary) Arcade Fire show at the start of last year because I was trying to be all grown-up about money at the time. Well, for the next two months it seemed like it was all anybody in this stupid city could talk about. They were talking about it on the radio. They were talking about it on TV. I kept overhearing completely random strangers talking about Will climbing on the fucking speakers or reading about Win sneaking fans into the show past security or whatever, and it fucking killed me.

Know what I was doing that night? No, neither do I - but if I'd been at that fucking show I'd remember it.

Ugh. I mean not every show is one of THOSE SHOWS, but... you wouldn't want to miss one of THOSE SHOWS now, would you...?

Ardentbiscuit
05-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Having too many shows to buy tickets to is what I call a high quality problem.

I've had years where most of the shows sucked, this has been a great year so far. :)

Trick Loves The Kids
05-26-2008, 11:58 AM
I prefer "first world problem"

Other examples are eating too much, getting too high, your preordered video game is a day too late, etc. etc.

but no, I'd rather spend money on live music than nearly anything else.

MissingPerson
05-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Hmm, "First World problem" does kind of put it in perspective, yeah.

I hereby retract my earlier whining.

fatbastard
05-26-2008, 07:21 PM
You have a problem if your spending ALL of your money on concerts. Then again, the eiffel tower has been around since 1889. You have plenty of time to save for a vacation. These past few years have been monumental for music. Imagine being someone who was alive in the 60's and never went to Woodstock, Jimi, Janice, or the Beatles. Suck it up, keep spending, and be ready to tell your grand kids about Prince, Radiohead, and Daft Punk.

Mockingbird73
05-27-2008, 12:26 PM
it's nice to have worked in the biz and to still have friends in certain places...also great that a certain promoter tends to handle most of the shows i want to attend. not naming names, though ;)

Word...:thu

I am with you on that one....

garrett222
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
I wish i had more concerts to spend my money on. Honolulu is getting Vampire Weekend, and it's pretty much the best thing all year.